A first time Cruiser going over Christmas 2014

oesgwynedd

I'm all paid up and booked for the PG cruise leaving Dec. 20th from Popitee. I would appreciate any and all comments on what to think, what I should book early for, what not to bother with, packing, dressing onboard, tipping? etc.

I hate being a newbie at anything and worry I will do something wrong!!:eek::rolleyes:

The Paul Gauguin is a great ship with excellent food and lovely staff! You'll really enjoy it!

I would highly recommend taking the Dolphin & Whale Watching excursion in Moorea. Dr. Michael Poole is an incredible guide, so knowledge!

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Book any private tours you want early. Many have limited space and fill up fast. I recommend the snorkeling tour by Reef Discovery on Bora Bora.

Participate in the ship block party. It is fun to get to meet your neighbors.

The private motu is really a fun day so look forward to it.

Flip Flops/water shoes for everything but evenings.

Remember that people work on island time and adjust your expectations.

Relax and just enjoy yourself.

Book any private tours you want early. Many have limited space and fill up fast. I recommend the snorkeling tour by Reef Discovery on Bora Bora.

Participate in the ship block party. It is fun to get to meet your neighbors.

The private motu is really a fun day so look forward to it.

Flip Flops/water shoes for everything but evenings.

Remember that people work on island time and adjust your expectations.

Relax and just enjoy yourself.

Agree, book now, fact is some non-cruise line tours might already be full or getting close after all we are talking Christmas here.

Reef Discovery on Bora Bora is very good with focus on snorkeling. They hand hold the ones that need it.

Patrick on Bora Bora is great for the traditional lagoon/lunch on a motu tour.

As stated, island time, relax, things are a bit slower on the islands ......

Is it possible to book Reef Discovery online? I couldn't see how to do it on their website.

Thanks!

I booked by sending them an email. You can get the email address by the little white envelope on the right side of the screen.

I also forgot to tell you to start your day at the back of Deck 8. First place that serves coffee in the morning.

I booked by sending them an email. You can get the email address by the little white envelope on the right side of the screen.

Yeah, tried that. Haven't heard back yet.

Well, whatever I end up with, it will all be good.

Island time ;)

Be patient, they will get back to you .........

Tikiintahiti is correct. It took about a week for them to get back to me. Nothing happens quickly there. You will learn it is part of the charm or go batty.

When I first started to go to FP in the 70's, the businesses had a problem even getting people to show up when they were suppose to work. It just wasn't part of their culture.

You are right. No matter what, you will have a great time.

• 2 months later...

had to call PG today and was told that i 'should' be able to start booking my tours 'shortly'. I am looking forward to this, but still trepadicous as well, lol.

For anyone that Dives, did you bring your own regulators/bcd's etc? or just use the ships?

have a lot going on between now and Dec. 20th sailing date,Hoping i get more excited about this..........

I used my own mask and snorkel, but everything else was borrowed and was just fine. Only thing I didn't care for were the fins. They were fine, functionally, I just would have preferred to use my own because I don't care for the full foot fins. Unfortunately mine are very heavy and I didn't want to pack them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

had to call PG today and was told that i 'should' be able to start booking my tours 'shortly'. I am looking forward to this, but still trepadicous as well, lol.

For anyone that Dives, did you bring your own regulators/bcd's etc? or just use the ships?

have a lot going on between now and Dec. 20th sailing date,Hoping i get more excited about this..........

Hello -

We are going the week before you - Dec 13 to Dec 20. I've been looking on my PG account to book excursions for about a week now, and I was finally able to do so yesterday (exactly 60 days before departure). We had already booked Marc's picnic on Huahine some time ago through his website. Heard lots of good things about that excursion on Trip Advisor!

We booked our Moorea and Bora Bora trips on the PG site yesterday, so I would check next Tues - you should be able to book them then.

Tipping is not required.:)

This is occasionally somewhat controversial on these boards, but tipping is neither required or expected on the PG. This is one of the many things that distinguishes it from many mass-market cruise lines.

Although not widely advertised, there is a crew fund which pays for parties etc. for the crew, and also for occasional emergencies. If you are impressed with the service that you received (and you probably will be) consider donating to it at the end of your cruise.