PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do Captains Make?

Bcoll
August 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Sorry about the random post but...does anyone know how much Royal Caribbean captains make? I'm sure they make a pretty penny, even though we all don't think they should be so well payed while the boat is rocking uncontrollably...haha

caviargal
August 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM

filosofe
August 24th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Wow...I didn't realize they made that much.
I know that job carries a lot of responsibility.....still, I thought it was more like 150k - 180k per year.

MarciaL
August 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Don't know the amount - BUT

A guy who drops out of college - gets picked to play football, basketball, etc. and signs up for 3 years for 5 Million dollars.

A Captain who is responsible for a Multi million dollar ship and the safety and lives of 2,000 and more passengers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I think the Captain is underpaid. JMO

Alexis
August 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM
MarciaL,

You are so right. ;)

Ericknow32
August 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM

A guy who drops out of college - gets picked to play football, basketball, etc. and signs up for 3 years for 5 Million dollars.

A Captain who is responsible for a Multi million dollar ship and the safety and lives of 2,000 and more passengers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I disagree. The captains make good money. I would not want my cruise price to go up so RCCL can give a captain a 3 year 5 million dollar contract.

Alexis
August 24th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Somehow I don't think that's quite what MarciaL meant?

hdawson
August 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I think they make something less than pilots for the legacy airlines.

Lamar Cheeks
August 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
there are only so many folks who can be pro athletes, and an unlimited number of people who will pay to watch them play.

my guess is there is a pretty good pool of folks who can be cruise ship captains.

it's not fair, but neither is the fact that i'm working right now and there are people cruising and having a great time!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Alexis
August 24th, 2005, 07:11 PM
For some reason they won't let me print the information on here that I just copied off the internet about cruise ship Captains. .:confused:

kenandlaura06
August 25th, 2005, 12:14 AM

Exactly. Just like the fact that movie stars make millions and nurses, cops, firefighters and teachers are so underpaid...can't even afford to buy homes in some parts of our country today.

moisture
August 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM
The average captain makes $400k per year, working 9 months on, 3 months off.

Alexis
August 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I would be more inclined to agree with your amount. The internet seemed really low. :confused:
They did have a picture of a Celebity Cruise ship in the header above the article. ?

bunting
August 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
The average captain makes $400k per year, working 9 months on, 3 months off.

I think we will find that the average Royal Captain works 14 weeks on and 14 off and this works out to about 6 months on and 6 months off a year....

Oh and then there's stock options??

Tromler
August 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
lets not forget "free" room and board while on the ship. I am sure the captain has an apartment like suite...

gammasip
August 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I think I would like to be a Captain's WIFE. I would sail on every cruise, not have to pay, and have none of his responsibilities. He must have a wonderful cabin, right?!?:D

Captain Duder
August 25th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I doubt very highly that a "cruise ship captain" makes more that 150k. He might be responsible for the lives of the people, but we are not talking about the most dangerous places in the world. It is the people that get paid less that create the navigation plans, run the engines, steer the ship. The captain is basically a button pusher. However, being in a position that requires you to make decisions that affect many people is difficult. But is the captains are really paid over 200k, then no wonder why cruises are so expensive. Start paying the people that actually do the things that make a difference on a cruise more money...the room steward...waiters...engineers...then you might see a difference in quality. There is no logical reason, in the "life" of a cruiser, to have the captain make more money. Especially the captain of Explorer of the seas during july 2005.

starboardstar
August 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I've no idea what the captain makes but quite aside from all the passenger aspects I'd see his role as general manager of 1000 people (approximate employees on ship) I wouldnt mind guessing that a lot of his time is taken in employee disputes and managing the team. Unlike those of us that have these managerial responsibilities he'll also be held ultimately accountable for navigational errors etc and no doubt a whole host of things which we'd never even consider................ After all that he is going to be instantly recognised where ever he goes on the ship and expected to smile say hello and be generally harangued by us passengers......

So I agree whatever he is paid its more than worth it, I for one could never do it even if I had the skills I could never be polite to everyone all the time:)

TheWog
August 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM
If one of RCI's corporate lawyers makes about $150K per year, plus options and incentives. I am sure the captain of one of its ships makes much more.

Ericknow32
August 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I've no idea what the captain makes but quite aside from all the passenger aspects I'd see his role as general manager of 1000 people (approximate employees on ship) I wouldnt mind guessing that a lot of his time is taken in employee disputes and managing the team. Nope The captain is only in charge of the ship. The crew is managed by the officer right under the captain in the chain of command. I forgot what the title of this position is. It's First ____________.

coolestwife
August 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM
This is from 2001....scroll to the bottom and there will be a list of professions and salaries...imagine what the figure is now...
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index_pantheon.ssf?/newsstory/04mainbar1.html

kenandlaura06
August 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Either way, the Captain has tremendous responsibility over the ship.

moisture
August 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
they have to pay the captain so much because of all the tips he's required to leave on the ship.

erntrish
August 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Nope The captain is only in charge of the ship. The crew is managed by the officer right under the captain in the chain of command. I forgot what the title of this position is. It's First ____________.

I believe you're referring to the staff captain? Actually, the Hotel Director is reponsible for the greatest number of staff- he runs the housekeeping and galley/dining departments, as well as several others. However, even HE reports to the captain, aka "Master of the Vessel." One thing I learned on my last cruise was that each ship sails with a Human Resources Manager embarked. I'm certain that the vast majority of employee issues are handled by the employee's department head in consultation with the HR mgr...with the master the last resort for decision making.

The Captain is ultimately, personally, legall, ethically, and financially responsible for the safe and efficient operation of his vessel- and should be compensated accordingly.

Sovren
August 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I was fortunate enough to visit the captains cabin on board the Sovereign of the Seas in the early 90's. We sat at the captains table and during the conversation we asked him about his accomodations. After dinner, he asked us all if we would like to go back to his cabin for a glass of Champagne. Of course we all did.

His cabin was located directly behind the bridge on deck 10. Since it was at the front of the ship it was sort of long narrow shaped. I would guess it was about 400 square feet. He had a very nice living room area set up with his personal belongings, nice stereo setup and TV. He had a nice full sized couch and several chairs. It was appointed very much like a nicer passenger cabin. The bathroom was the same as any other cabin.

It was very nice and apparently a very rare occurrance that passengers were invited there. I felt lucky and priveleged that we were invited.

Have no idea about his salary, but his accomodations were very nice.

filosofe
August 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM
400K a year!!!
That's a little high!
Take a look at this link....it's from the collegeboard.com..talks about career salaries...
http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/careers/105657.html

Aldeya
August 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Can't agree more.

balconyonly
August 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Most of the senior officer pay info has been printed in documents before, never a name just a range. I do remember seeing that the max pay for a ships captain in RCCL was $140K, which would seem about right. While they may have more people onboard than a 747 the time constraints and pressure would be far less. Screw up your docking and sure you get a scratch, screw up your approach to an airport and you may be dead.

Thats the difference between aircrew and ships crew, its the difference between thinking fast and having time for tea and a decision.

Captain Brook
August 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I doubt very highly that a "cruise ship captain" makes more that 150k. He might be responsible for the lives of the people, but we are not talking about the most dangerous places in the world. It is the people that get paid less that create the navigation plans, run the engines, steer the ship. The captain is basically a button pusher. However, being in a position that requires you to make decisions that affect many people is difficult. But is the captains are really paid over 200k, then no wonder why cruises are so expensive. Start paying the people that actually do the things that make a difference on a cruise more money...the room steward...waiters...engineers...then you might see a difference in quality. There is no logical reason, in the "life" of a cruiser, to have the captain make more money. Especially the captain of Explorer of the seas during july 2005.

A captain is the equivalent of a CEO. He's the executive manager of the ship's entire operations. In the free world, Captain Duder, those that bear larger managerial responsibility customarily command a higher salary. I personally don't find this as egregious, as the captain is generally someone who has demonstrated competence in lesser positions (for lesser pay) for many years.

As to your concern that a captain making over $200K is contributing inordinately to the expense of your cruise, consider a captain NETTING $250K annually (for instance) navigating 25 cruises during the year. In such a case, he would earn $10K per cruise. Divide that by 2,000 avg. passengers, and perhaps you can more capably consider whether this factor is placing too heavy a strain on your travel budget.

bluehorizonlover123
August 26th, 2005, 11:59 PM
They dont make 250K. They make about 60-80K. You can see all the salaries for ship people on ncls website. Or do a goggle search for cruise ship jobs. They list all the salaries there.

rubrrick
August 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Some of the posters above are absoutely correct about the fact that the Captain has the final resposibility (and say) of what procedures are to be followed in any situation. I am sure that the crime scene on the NOS was left or cleaned at the direct orders of the Master. The bomb scare note on the Legend OS a few years age was handled at the direction of the Captain. Some can say that he is no more than a button pusher, but they are trained to handle any crisis and they have spent years learning their profession. If the Head of the Hotel has a problem with a guest, before he can properly correct the situation, he has to clear it with the Captain. Some Captains have wonderful personalities and love to mingle with passengers, others are more standoffish.
I have had the honor to meet quite a few in the years that we have been cruising. My DW and I have visited their quarters, some fairly small (around 400 square feet) and some larger. They are aboard for around 90 days at a time, welcome to bring their wife or significant other and earn over 200k per year, and up. The cruise line pays their room and board, and travel to and from their homeland to the ship. They are also rotated from ship to ship on occasion, which is why Diamond Plus members, who have cruised with different Captains, have the perk to know what Captain will have what ship in the future.

Rick

myrtle0116
August 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
My husband was a Riverboat Pilot on the Mississippi for a small excursion line (didn't want him gone for weeks at a time.) He did this for 22 years. There's actually more to getting your license than most people are aware. It's our understanding that some of the larger lines on the River pay their Pilots 250k.

Knowing what he had to learn just to pilot the boat locally (while it is a large city), I would think the RCCL Pilots would make substantially more.

Just keeping a riverboat steady in a storm is rough - and incredibly frightening. I say, whatever they make, I'm sure they earn every penney.

By the way, I'm one of the underpaid, underappreciated nurses someone mentioned earler. Thanks for the support!!!!

Myrtle

kenandlaura06
August 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM
By the way, I'm one of the underpaid, underappreciated nurses someone mentioned earler. Thanks for the support!!!!

Myrtle

Keep up the good and important work! We need you!

steve20832
August 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM
They dont make 250K. They make about 60-80K. You can see all the salaries for ship people on ncls website. Or do a goggle search for cruise ship jobs. They list all the salaries there.

$60-80K sounds really low since a Captain/Pilot in Command (Large Jet) makes about $110,000 a year. (That salary was pulled from salary.com) Salary.com had no salary's listed for the cruise industry that I could find.

brn2crz
August 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ok...Please don't take this the wrong way.Theres no way I could be a nurse...And being a Mother,and having my own mother go through years of hospitals and nursing homes....I appreciate and respect the profession as much as anyone..But..Underpaid??? Ok,thats a serious question.I have a SIL,who is a pediatric RN...and she makes...Well.... a lot..And picks her shifts and days....

We live in the Houston area,and there is huge demand..With huge sign on bonus's...Again..a serious question,,Wondering if its geographical,or if its a matter of no amount of money is enough for what you guys do..:)

On topic now..
Too bad we ran off TJ....She could answer the question first hand.:(

kenandlaura06
August 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM
The signing bonuses, etc. are needed because there is a terrible shortage of nurses. I think nurses work very hard and don't get the respect they deserve.

mamatrouble
August 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM
lets not forget "free" room and board while on the ship. I am sure the captain has an apartment like suite...
When on the NCL SKy a few years ago we had a Penthouse and was invited to a private cocktail hour with the captain in his room with all the people that had suites. I agree it was just a bigger room but not as nice as the Owners Suite was. There were about 30 people in his living room area and there was still room for about 15 more.

myrtle0116
August 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Until you've been there, you simply cannot completely understand. A sign on bonus does not always come without some sort of obligation many of us cannot commit to. My salary is really not where it should be; however, I do love my work.

Back to the original subjet - I feel the captain's probably have paid their dues - i.e. - beginning at the bottom of the ladder and working their way to the top ------ usually takes years from what I understand.

Ericknow32
August 27th, 2005, 02:44 PM
It does take years. All the captains that I have seen started in the ship industry when they were at a young age. They work their way up and I have no doubt that they make a decent wage, as they should.

Tjukka
August 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Plus a home to keep and a family to support and they don't make near 250k a year much less.

brn2crz
August 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM
TADA!!

Thanks Tj....:)

balconyonly
August 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM
They make a lot less than many people here think they do. I knew about the 14 weeks on 14 weeks off for the senior officers. I've asked that question at several Diamond and Platinum parties.

"It's like every day is a Monday," he said, a bit wearily. But he was smiling. I got the impression he doesn't mind the routine too much. It helps that his wife and 18-month-old son are onboard with him part of the time. And there's always vacation to look forward to. He rotates with another captain, working 14 weeks, then receiving 14 weeks off. It's enough time to go home to Buenos Aires. The company pays for round-trip transportation, as it does for most other ship employees during their breaks.

Last fall, he drew the short end of the stick with his schedule, however. His 14 weeks at the helm coincided with the four devastating hurricanes that swirled through the Caribbean. He was at sea, responsible for his ship and thousands of passengers and crew."

salary wise

Captain (responsible for the entire operation of the vessel). Captain's licenses and all applicable certifications by a recognized maritime government body required. Extensive experience with minimum five to eight years in subordinate positions on board ships and solid experience in all navigational electronic and computerized equipment required. Diploma from an accredited maritime training school or facility and fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: 5800-9800 U.S. dollars a month, depending on the cruise line.

Staff Captain (second in command, oversees day to day operations and management as directed by the captain). Captain's licenses and all applicable certifications by a recognized maritime government body required. Extensive experience with minimum five to eight years in subordinate positions on board ships and solid experience in all navigational electronic and computerized equipment required. Diploma from an accredited maritime training school or facility and fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: 5000-7800 U.S. dollars a month, depending on the cruise line. Possibilities for promotion to Captain.

Thats $70,000 to $118,000

alexkrn46
August 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
My son was thinking of going to a martime academy,cruise companies pay the low end of the range. You can make more money being a captain of cargo ship. It wouldn't surprise me that pilots make more money since they get paid overtime and holiday time etc,

bluehorizonlover123
August 28th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Heres a few jobs for info

Chief Purser -(supervises all other departments on board with the exception of deck and engine) - extensive hotel experience of no less than five years as a hotel manager, a degree in hotel management and /or prior cruise ship experience required. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $4300-5800 U.S. per month, depending on the cruise line.

Deputy Purser -(supervises all other departments on board with the exception of deck and engine) - extensive hotel experience of no less than five years as a hotel manager, a degree in hotel management and /or prior cruise ship experience required. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $3900-4700 U.S. per month, depending on the cruise line.

bluehorizonlover123
August 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Cruise Director

Salary Range:
$3,200-6,000 per month.
Length of Contract:
2-4 months on board/2-4 weeks vacation
Privileges:
Provided with round trip air travel and overnight hotel room (if necessary).
Provided with free accommodation and food onboard.
Will have Free P & I Medical coverage according to the International Maritime Law.
Provided with single cabin.
Dining with passengers and/or officer's mess.
Vacation pay at the company's discretion.

bluehorizonlover123
August 28th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Tipping personnel
Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel as waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. belong to this group. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000
Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000
Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500
Bartender from $1500 to $3000

The applicant has to have a good command of English, good work experience and appropriate education (the latter is not obligatory if the applicant has enough experience) to qualify for this group.

Non-tipping personnel
Applicants who do not have enough experience or do not have very good command of English tend to be hired as non-tipping staff. They have a good chance to be promoted to be tipping personnel later.

The non-tipping personnel on cruise ships are those who serve the crew, i.e. the lower positions in the passenger area - Staff Waiter/Waitress, Snack Steward, etc. They have fixed salaries without tips and their earnings are from USD 350 to USD 500 per week.