PDA

View Full Version : Where could I find Ginger Candy for Motion sickness

Mari1023
November 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Hi,Iread on this wonderful thread that Ginger Candy/root is great for motion sickness. However, I've tried various store to purchase this item but I can't seem to find it. I looked at my local supermarket (Publix), CVS Pharmacy & Walgreens and I haven't been able tofind. Could someone give me some direction.

As always thank you.....

Mari

pcakes2
November 18th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Is there a Trader Joe's near you? They carry all kinds of ginger treats.
If not, you can email me your address and I can pick you up some.
-patty..
pcakes2@yahoo.com

LuViNiTCuZiCaN
November 18th, 2005, 01:20 AM
I have found it at upscale markets in the bulk food section area. Hope this helps.

Luv;)

sparky3229
November 18th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I had been looking for some too. Trader Joe's had some candy, but I questioned the amount of ginger actually in them. I opted for ginger supplements-GNC has them. I couldn't find them at regular drug stores.

rileyreb
November 18th, 2005, 02:43 AM
walmart has ginger pills for a little under $4. 100 pills in the bottle.

i was watching MythBusters on discovery channel last night and they tried to find a cure for seasickness. ginger pills worked the best among the remedies they tested.

b8tzm
November 18th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Hi,Iread on this wonderful thread that Ginger Candy/root is great for motion sickness. However, I've tried various store to purchase this item but I can't seem to find it. I looked at my local supermarket (Publix), CVS Pharmacy & Walgreens and I haven't been able tofind. Could someone give me some direction.

As always thank you.....

Mari

Walgreens has ginger / ginger root pills and puts them in an ad 1 free with 1 every now & then. Note there are several different strengths of them.

funinthsun
November 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM

As always thank you.....

Mari
any bulk foods (candy) store or area in supermarket. It works, too!!

Sablerose
November 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Walgreens for ginger capsules, OR:

One of the only mass-produced candies on the market right now that has actual ginger extract in it (you can't have "ginger flavoring," it's the phytochemicals in the actual ginger that help your stomach) are ginger altoids in the gold tin.

It worked great for us!

Stircrzy
November 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Altoids.com (http://www.altoidsshoppe.com/index.asp?.)

taszmom
November 18th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Stay away from the ginger candy...it makes you really thirsty. I swear by the ginger capsules...works like a charm!

Mgetta
November 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info on where to get ginger tablets and candy. In Alaska the tour ships that went out into the bays near Seward sold a canned drink that contained real ginger.

You can make a tea out of ginger by grating ginger root and then steeping in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Strain and drink, adding sugar or sweetner as desired. I'd thought about making some up and taking it with me.

Mgetta
November 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Very Strong Ginger Drink

Adapted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant

Warm in the winter for a great, soothing drink. Also good for an upset stomach. 6 C boiling water2 t whole clove1 C grated, peeled ginger root4 cinnamon sticks1 C sugarPour boiling water over other ingredients in a non-reactive container (such as a glass gallon jug). Let sit for at least one hour in a warm place. Strain in fine sieve or cloth. Store in non-reactive container in fridge. Serve cool or warm.

Name game
November 18th, 2005, 12:13 PM
My mother who gets violently seasick swears by the ginger pills. She's been on over 15 cruises and the ginger pills save her life. She has never gotten sick since taking them. Get the supplements, much better than the candy. Any drug store or vitamin store should have them.

ladycaveat
November 18th, 2005, 05:42 PM
How does Ginger Ale work? When and how many ginger pills should one take to avoid sea sickness? Or is this something one takes after feeling a little queasy?

Mgetta
November 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Ginger Ale no longer contains ginger - just ginger flavoring. Doesn't do any good for seasickness.

hole_fan
November 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
You can get all types of ginger, including root and candy at Cost Plus/World Market.

greatful
November 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Ginger Capsules at Wal Mart & Target 100 in a bottle 550mg for $3.87 a bottle. A dosage is 2 capsules. Not a prescription but asked Pharmacist, she said some people swear by them.

jetskier
November 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
We took the Bonine at night and took a ginger pill in the morning with no effects of motion sickness. I picked mine up at Walmart.
Dave

Cruisin Oma
November 18th, 2005, 07:27 PM
We have small children going with us. I figured the ginger candy will be better because I don't know if I could get them to swallow the capsules. I picked the ginger candy up at a health food store.

cruisinsforme
November 18th, 2005, 11:00 PM
We have small children going with us. I figured the ginger candy will be better because I don't know if I could get them to swallow the capsules. I picked the ginger candy up at a health food store.

If you open up the capsule, you can empty the contents into applesauce or pudding and spoon it to the kids. They might not like the taste of the ginger candy as it's very strong. They won't taste the tiny pellets that are inside the capsules. My doctor taught me that trick and it works great.

KruznKel
November 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Where in CANADA can I find this.. anyone know???

just4kixx
November 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM
DH is at Target as we speak. He said they have the 550mg ginger capsules for $3.89 with a $2.00 off coupon for this purchase. Haven't tried this remedy, but have a few family members who take others meds and may not want to add dramamine or bonine to the mix.

Wish us luck! Leaving for the airport in 3 hours and heading straight for Gamma :eek:

A~:)

damonadrienne
November 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I got mine at the grocery store in the spice section.

TXParrothead
November 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I saw this on Mythbusters. They found that ginger works just as well as Bonine. They used the methods that NASA uses to test seasickness.

Starfire_rules
November 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM
walmart has ginger pills for a little under $4. 100 pills in the bottle.

i was watching MythBusters on discovery channel last night and they tried to find a cure for seasickness. ginger pills worked the best among the remedies they tested.

I got very sick on the first couple days on the Victory due to extremely rocky seas thanks to Tammy. My father bought some crystalized Ginger from Penzys and I tried it and never helped. I did finally use the ginger pills I bought at Walmart and it worked. Every morning I took one Bonine and one Ginger pill. No worries about drug interactions.
Oh, and try to keep something in your stomach. My room service saw I was sick and mentioned half the crew was too and he brought me an apple and told me it would help and it did.

Iowa cruisers
November 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Can you tell me what the recommended dosage is? (2 pills every morning or 1 pill AM and 1 pill PM etc.)

When did you start taking them? (before you left for the cruise, only if you experienced motion sickness, etc.) Thanks!

Starfire_rules
November 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Well, I didn't start taking the ginger pills soon enough! I did start taking the Bonine two days before hand. But I thought it would be enough. But as I have said, it wasn't. Luckily I over compensate when packing. I only took one ginger pill in the morning with the bonine. After that everything was smooth sailing even when the water wasn't. They also serve Ginger Ale on the ship if that helps for very rough waters.

jetskier
November 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Can you tell me what the recommended dosage is? (2 pills every morning or 1 pill AM and 1 pill PM etc.)

When did you start taking them? (before you left for the cruise, only if you experienced motion sickness, etc.) Thanks!

The dosage on the bottle is twice daily with a meal. We only took it once daily with no problems. I guess it will be different with each person as to their tolerance to motion.
Dave

RizzoLee
November 21st, 2005, 12:41 AM
Where in CANADA can I find this.. anyone know???

Where in Ontario do you live? I'm in Mississauga, just west of Toronto. We have GNC's here too-or you can try any major vitamin retailer around, I have about 5 within a 10 minute drive of my house :D. Let me know what city you live in-I know quite a few stores (darn massage therapy education, lol). Even try Shopper's Drug Mart or Wal-Mart. (Just stay away from Jamieson, or Swiss Herbals, or store brands-they tend to be mass produced).
Hope this helps! I'm definitely going to give it a try for my mother-the rest of us are okay, but I'm afraid she won't be. :(

KruznKel
November 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM
Where in Ontario do you live? I'm in Mississauga, just west of Toronto. We have GNC's here too-or you can try any major vitamin retailer around, I have about 5 within a 10 minute drive of my house :D. Let me know what city you live in-I know quite a few stores (darn massage therapy education, lol). Even try Shopper's Drug Mart or Wal-Mart. (Just stay away from Jamieson, or Swiss Herbals, or store brands-they tend to be mass produced).
Hope this helps! I'm definitely going to give it a try for my mother-the rest of us are okay, but I'm afraid she won't be. :(

I am in Ottawa.. I have looked at shoppers and walmart.. nothing there.. If you can give me a name of these stores I would appreciate it..:)

Bramcruiser
November 21st, 2005, 07:19 AM
Here's a bit of irony. Ginger candy always made me sick. To this day I cannot stand ginger. Thank goodness I learned quickly on my last cruise that I didn't get sea sick.

MichelleP
November 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Oops - double post.

MichelleP
November 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM
You can also order ginger candy online here.

http://www.gingerpeople.com/

You can also get crystallized ginger in the baking section of some supermarkets. It's basically ginger that's been candied with sugar.

RizzoLee
November 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
I am in Ottawa.. I have looked at shoppers and walmart.. nothing there.. If you can give me a name of these stores I would appreciate it..:)

You have at least 5 GNC stores around you, give those a try-I searched their website for you and they have something called 'Nature's Fingerprint-Ginger Root', containing 550 mg of ginger root. You also have Nutrition Houses in Ottawa-I called the one in my area and they have a product that's in chewable tablet form (oh, so gross!), but it only contains 62 mg of ginger root. She believed that the Ottawa stores would carry the same products as Mississauga. She recommended a homeopathy supplement as well, but I'd say stick with the 'for sure' thing and get the GNC pills.
Here's a link to their website, should have 5 locations on it, if not-the search is in the upper left of the screen:
http://www.gnc.com/scripts/mqinterconnect.exe
Hope this helps, and talk to your doctor about ginger before you leave!

KruznKel
November 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
and talk to your doctor about ginger before you leave!

Why? will ginger hurt me or something.. I don't feel like making an appt just to ask about ginger??:)

Found a place 2 mins from here.. $12.50 for 100 capsules...

RizzoLee
November 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Why? will ginger hurt me or something.. I don't feel like making an appt just to ask about ginger??:)

Found a place 2 mins from here.. $12.50 for 100 capsules...

If you're taking other meds, it's always a good idea to double check. I always recommend that people see their doctors first before starting any new supplement, vitamin, etc.
Glad you found what you needed!

KruznKel
November 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
If you're taking other meds, it's always a good idea to double check. I always recommend that people see their doctors first before starting any new supplement, vitamin, etc.
Glad you found what you needed!

Thanks a bunch I take no other meds except an aspirin aday for circulation.. so I think I am fine with the ginger.. appreciate the concern tho!!!:) Thanks so much for the help..