PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector
January 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I usually get the suitcases out and start trying on clothes, pressing and packing about 1 week prior to cruise. As soon as the suitcases come out my dog starts to act funny and pouts. How many of you out there have that same thing in your house?:o

seadancer
January 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I've got three children errrr dogs that hate to see the suitcases out they know there going to the doctors for boarding. I caught one trying to sabotage our plans one time buy chewing on the garment bag:eek: . We don't have kids so the dogs are our life so to speak. Its funny how you miss the rythum of having your pets around.

Seeeuuuuu
Jeff

Bookish Angel
January 28th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Once the big suitcase comes out (indicating both Mom and Dad are going), Delilah grabs a cloth mousey and jumps in the suitcase. I guess she thinks we'll never see her in there and she can take full advantage of the seafood buffets.

tgo's
January 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM
doesn't react much to the packing - he knows a cat sitter will be comming over to stay and keep the food dish full and the litter box empty.
When I get back home he is sure to "punnish" me for having been gone to long. He will come running, then stop just out of reach and turn his back. For a couple of hours he will follow me around - just out of reach - and making sure I have to make an effort to come over and pet him. Next stage - sitting on my feet if I am standing still, or sitting on my lap if I have sat down anywhere. I think, he thinks this will keep me from going away to long again.
Lucky for me a few generous handfulls of his favorite treats will usualy pull him out of his snit by bed time.
Yes, he does have me well trained.

ladybugcruises
January 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Our dog is the same way. She will get into the suitcase or will try to take the clothes out of the suitcase that we have already packed. It is quite a sight considering our dog only weighs 7.5 lbs. We do miss her when we are gone, though.

Patinthehat
January 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I wish my dog would do that... that'd be really cute. I'd definately get a photo of that!

AZPam
January 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM
You wouldn't believe the lengths my Mom goes thru to keep her dog from knowing they will be leaving again! She hides the suitcases in the spare room and she makes a grooming appointment for the day she plans to pack everything so he won't have to witness what is going on! Murphy still figures it out and punishes her for days before and after. Won't sit on her lap and will hide under the dining room table. Unbelievable!

Texoma Traveler
January 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I have to sneak into the spare bedroom, close the door and pack so that my doxies won't see the bags. I then have to either wait until they are snuggled down in bed the night before take the bags out to the car or I have to take them out about two or three days before so they will have time to forget. Paddlefoot will work himself into such a frenzy that he usually has a seizure before I go. I really don't think kids could be as much trouble!

limpygirl
February 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM
our Angel a little Maltease. She is 6 years old and has never been seperated from both of us at one time. We just never go anywhere overnight if she don't go. We have taken her on every vacation since we got her. Last year when I was in the hospital for 4 days dh had a time with her at night because she is used to sleeping with me and I was not there. We are going on a 7 day cruise in June and driving from VA to Fla and back so we will be gone about 2 weeks. My neice is going to keep Angel and I know she will do a good job with her, but I sometimes think if we could have somebody stay in the house it would be better for her to be in familiar territory still giving it some thought....anyone have any ideas? I really hate to leave her, but there is no way she can go.
CJ

SPARKLE10
February 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
limpygirl

I have two dogs and one is a 5 year old male Maltese named Buddy. I've had dogs all my life and I've got to say that this little guy is my favorite (I love my other dog) but there is just something about a Maltese. I wish I had discovered this breed a long time ago. I tried a kennel once with bad results and a pet sitter (who didn't show up at the last minute) and now I only go on vacation if one of my two grown kids can come to my house and take care of them. They both have dogs themselves, but we can't take them to their houses for different reasons...my son has a Pug and he doesn't get along with my two male dogs and at my daughter's house, she has two female dogs, but no fence. They do much better if they are in their own home and someone can come and live with them or let them out and feed them several times a day. That's the only thing I hate about taking a cruise, I miss my dogs and I feel guilty even packing, because they know what's going to happen and they get mad at me.....won't come to me when I call them and things like that. Good Luck. Maltese are special little dogs and I love all dogs.

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10

ladybugcruises
February 4th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Limpygirl

Our little dog is half maltese half poodle, but she is not the typical white dog. She is more black/ gray mix. (Super cute, if I can so myself.) any way, if your niece can't stay at your house, make sure to bring your doggies favorite toy and maybe a t-shirt of yours or something that has your scent on it so she feels more secure. When we travel we usually take our dog to my parent's house (her resort) and bring a ticking clock or small radio. She always has a radio on while we are not at home. She seems to adjust pretty well, but she sure likes it when we get home. Any way, good luck and happy, safe travels.

gypsyrose
February 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
What a wonderful thread... My cocker, Gypsy, hates to see the suitcases. She runs all around the house in a panic and will not let us out of her sight. Then she will sit by the door saying "you are not going without me". Most of the time, we take her to my parents (gran and papa) who absolutely adore and spoil her. She is so excited to get in the car and go. Sometimes my cousin will stay and we have to walk out the door with her standing there pouting. Very hard to do. She will be 100 (17 in dog years) May 30th.

jetskier
February 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I dont have pets that pout, my two daughters (11/4) are another story. The oldest has been on one cruise, the youngest has not. They both were a handful when we went on our cruise two weeks ago. Now when the Carnival commercial comes on, they both come running into the living room. They will have to wait until Oct to go.
Dave

patrice1
February 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
My two fildren (feathered or furred children) are parrots. Leaving them is awful, but we usually get a housesitter that we train for parrots (and call every day - we're such wusses). Last time we went on a cruise, we got home around 8PM to have our African Grey say as soon as she saw us, "It's OhhhKaaayaaaaay" in the most pitiful voice:( . The next day, they're both "Velcro" birds and won't get off our shoulders! ;) Once we drag out the suitcases, the questions start - "Whatcha doin'? Whazzat? You OK?" etc. They know - boy, do they know.

love2vacation
February 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
My husband travels quite a lot for his job but still when he leaves our dog (Molly) will lay in his parking spot in the driveway the first day he is gone. Last week I happened to go overnight to visit our DD and my DH said Molly kept looking for me all night and finally collapsed on the floor by my side of the bed.

We are lucky to have my parents who are in good health and willing to watch Molly while we vacation. (We also watch their dog when they go out of town.) Even so when we pack her up to go she will be very sad and when we turn the corner to their house she knows what's coming. She will "guard" the door and won't let us leave their house. Last time my Mom had to hold her down (not easy as Molly weighs in at 95 lbs.) and we had to run for the front door. Molly will lay by their back door the entire time we are gone. :rolleyes: It's pretty pathetic.

Winky
February 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, my dog will fo;;ow me around everywhere I go, he knows he is heading to puppy prison:eek:

Mjasp
February 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Puppy Prison LOL That is where my Bichon will be going. We just got him in September and feel so bad about leaving him, BUT we are cruising and they don't allow dogs. :(

Doug&Suzy-Q
February 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
What a great thread....Lucy hates suitcases!!:( She will give me those big brown eyes and look like she is going to cry. My daughter lives next door with my 3 grandchildren, they babysit. They come over @ least once a day, every day so it's not like Lucy is going to a strange dog sitter. I guess it's just not mommy/daddy. Sometimes I get embarrased the way we treat our Lucy & Misty (the cat). But then I hear or read that other people are more goofy than we are. I don't care, they are my babies.:D
I am a sucker for dogs and cats....post more, this thread is so cute.:)

Doug&Suzy-Q
February 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM
:confused: :D :confused: That didn't sound right....my daughter lives next door....they come over everyday when we are home. When we go on vacation, Lucy stays at her house day & night. And for Misty, she is happy to stay at home, but is desperate for comany when we leave. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone thought...well...that Lucy only goes out once a day.:) :rolleyes:

luvgreys
February 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Well I have two Greyhounds....and one of them is very outgoing and demanding. He puts all 80 pounds of himself in our big suitcase, spins around for comfort, and manges to sit in the suitcase. :) I guess that is his way of protesting whenever we leave. The other one just whines.

TechKnowBabble
February 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Our two furry children, Lucy & Murphy (cats) are complete opposites. We just started pulling out our luggage this past weekend for our upcoming cruise, Murphy just looked at the luggage like, what's that? Lucy gets very very upset when she sees the luggage. She was already pouting the other night...normally once they are packed she lays on top of them like she can stop us from going. I've already cried a couple of times that I will miss them. My boyfriend's mother watches them for us at our place.

ladypalmtree
February 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
We have six fur babies....two dogs..three cats and a hamster...they just pout when they see the suitcases..well not the hamster...they are all well taken care of..dd..who is 20 or our neighbors...anyway..they really are standofish when we come home..like who are you?...but..my old buddy teddy our orange tabby who was ten when we had to put him to sleep this last sept..had his own ritual...he would pee on the luggage...after a couple of times and lots of money...had to hide the luggage...what a silly cat...He was like...I will show you for leaving me....:(

dyslexic pirate
February 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM
My two small dogs couldn't care less when the big black scary looking suitcases come out of storage. My big standard poodle is a whole other story. Pouting, flattened ears, big eyes, brooding looks AND he will leave his "opinion" about the trip somewhere for me to step on in the morning.

TechKnowBabble
February 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
We have six fur babies....two dogs..three cats and a hamster...they just pout when they see the suitcases..well not the hamster...they are all well taken care of..dd..who is 20 or our neighbors...anyway..they really are standofish when we come home..like who are you?...but..my old buddy teddy our orange tabby who was ten when we had to put him to sleep this last sept..had his own ritual...he would pee on the luggage...after a couple of times and lots of money...had to hide the luggage...what a silly cat...He was like...I will show you for leaving me....:(

Funny story. Sorry for your loss. My babies are 9 & 8 and I dread the day I have to make a decision like that. I hope you have a lot of wonderful memories.

ladypalmtree
February 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Thank you..yes my memories will last forever..he was everyones favorite cat..loved all....i still have his coller and my youngest cat. likes to carry it around and snuggle with it...:( I love animals..they are family and they love you as much as you love them. We do not own them..they own us:)

ladypalmtree
February 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
oh my..and have a great cruise....enjoy..one more day!

Sunshine91
February 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I just have to start laying out clothes & folding them, piling them up. Abby the border terrier starts whining & fussing. Once the bags appear it gets really bad. One cat, Sonny, makes love to the suitcases. His brother Sammy just lays all over the clothing, generally making a nuisance of himself. My ghost kitty, Knightley, pretty much lives under the beds so doesn't come out when I'm packing.

DH's folks will keep Abby for us - we refer to it as "camp." They live 2 hours away so she will go there a few days before the Noordam cruise. We'll get her on the way home. When we're on trips DH likes to whine at me just like Abby does - she is my baby. He does it just to annoy me. DD (20 years old) lives about 30 minutes from us (everything is 30 minutes from us). She'll come over every 3 days or so to feed the kitties.

Limpygirl - have you thought about taking a weekend trip away before your cruise without Angel to see how she does? That might give you an idea of how she'd handle being with your niece while you are on the ship so that you can relax & enjoy the trip. We've also set-up an e-mail address just for the cruse (so we don't have to wade thru all the other stuff that comes in every day) for folks to send us stuff we really need to know while we're gone. You could do that so that your niece can send you updates about Angel. Hope it all works out for you & have a great trip!

mrs-mack
February 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
When we are going anywhere i need to get the suitcases out about 2 weeks before we go then whilst my dog has gone for his walk i then put then in the spare wardrobe every time he goes out a walk i start putting things in before he comes back the day we are going away i need to get dog took for walk whist we put suitcase in car if you even mention you are going he knows and he goes into a depression so we have to be careful whilst we are gone he dont eat for a few days then when we are back home he greets us and is happy we are home but then ignores us for a few days i miss him loads when we are gone he is a bearded collie cross labrador and is 11 years old

Jackie

Mjasp
February 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
OK I have to post again. I am the one getting very depressed and sad. We are leaving in a week and we have our dog 5 months now, although he is 14 months old. We got him when he was 9 months old. I feel so bad that we have to leave him. Please Help me get over this feeling. I am kenneling him and it is for 10 nights. Sigh.

TIA

hobbit81
February 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well I have two Greyhounds....and one of them is very outgoing and demanding. He puts all 80 pounds of himself in our big suitcase, spins around for comfort, and manges to sit in the suitcase. :) I guess that is his way of protesting whenever we leave. The other one just whines.

A greyhound in a suitcase! Now that would be a sight :D

hobbit81
February 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
My "baby" is a four year old Maltese. Standoffish would be the right word. He thinks he's going with me when I start to pack, so I confuse him by getting the bags out weeks before and adding, taking out, messing with them to get him used to it. But I guess it's for my own well being because he knows. I get the "beg" to go too. Then when I get home, he will sleep the first night with one of my sons, and not sit with me. Luckly, he loves me and will be back, slowly, the next day. I must add that he normally comes to work with me about 3 times a week so he really is used to going with me. He will pout at the window on the day's he doesn't get to go with me. :o
Aren't we a sad lot???????

luvgreys
February 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM
A greyhound in a suitcase! Now that would be a sight :D

You have no idea how funny it is!! His spine is so flexible.. I guess all those years of racing will do that!!:D

luvgreys
February 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM
My "baby" is a four year old Maltese. Standoffish would be the right word. He thinks he's going with me when I start to pack, so I confuse him by getting the bags out weeks before and adding, taking out, messing with them to get him used to it. But I guess it's for my own well being because he knows. I get the "beg" to go too. Then when I get home, he will sleep the first night with one of my sons, and not sit with me. Luckly, he loves me and will be back, slowly, the next day. I must add that he normally comes to work with me about 3 times a week so he really is used to going with me. He will pout at the window on the day's he doesn't get to go with me. :o
Aren't we a sad lot???????

That is so funny!!! Cole (the suitcase dog) will ignore us for about a day or so too!! Duke, my other Grey, is as loving and is ready to snuggle when we get back!:p

pwrbrok35
February 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
My baby, Frasier, is a Coton de Tulear. A white little fur ball. He is my best buddy. He even has his own pet stroller. He gets so depressed when I pack for a trip. I feel horrible leaving him but my mastiff, Abby keeps him company. They are going into a pet resort for my upcoming trip. This will be the first time in this new place but I wanted them to be comfortable. Frasier loves to watch animal planet on tv and he will have that set up for him in his doggy suite. Yes, it is a little extreme but I love my dog. I almost lost him a year ago. A coyote pulled him through our fence and just about killed him. $2,000 worth of intensive care and he is back to normal. Although he needs surgery on his leg from the attack and that is estimated to be another $2,000. I will have to pack on the sly since he eats the straps on my carry on bags when he sees me pack.

hobbit81
February 17th, 2006, 09:47 AM
you know, I never thought I'd be one of "those" people who baby their dogs. If you don't have one, you really don't know what it's like. My husband, 300 lbs, 6'2" red neck man did not want a "frilly" dog (Maltese). He now fights for Frodo's attention. My husband will pout when the dog sits with me. When my husband is home and I'm gone then they are best buddies. He even takes him to the store with him. When I come home, it all changes. He hates it! My husband works off shore, and those guys out there would never believe how attached he is to this little dog.

Mjasp
February 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I just have to stop in and say , today is a very sad day. We brought our Bichon to the kennel for the week.

Just needed to say it :(

hobbit81
February 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I know that was hard. I always feel like "dirt" when I have to do that. But you know, he'll be alright and really really glad to see you when you return. ;)
lisa

luvgreys
February 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I just have to stop in and say , today is a very sad day. We brought our Bichon to the kennel for the week.

Just needed to say it :(

Yes, but they will keep him/her so busy that your baby will be sooo tired, and ready to see you next week!!;)

bnaj
February 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry to say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one worrying about the dog.

My husband thinks I am crazy but I find it even harder leaving our dog, Amber, than I do the kids. Amber is an 11 year old lab with separation anxiety and I think I have it too. We are doing a practice run this weekend and I find that I am calling with reminders twice a day.

We cannot bring out our suitcases until she is out of the house. She will follow us around and wimper if she sees a suitcase, backpack or worst of all a sleeping bag. She shakes, whines and basically looks just sick if she thinks she is going to be left.

Everyone keeps saying that she is just a dog and will get over it but it just breaks my heart to leave her. We are cruising with my parents this time so she is being left with my sister-in-law and her family. It is Amber's first time there so I think this is weighing more on me. The kids can ask for what they want but Amber can't so I have to make sure I cover all the bases.

Thanks for letting me vent to people who understand!!!:(

Pixiescleo
February 19th, 2006, 11:13 PM
The cat that we have now doesn't worry too much when we go away, but my younger daughter (who is Cleo's fav. person) comes and stays with her. However, I've had 2 who made sure that we knew what they felt about being left.

First, Fluffy1, had a real "thing" about being left behind; I could take the car in and out a dozen times a day if I wanted to.... as long as I didn't take a suitcase out. If I was getting a suitcase ready to go out to the car, I had to catch her and put her in a bedroom, or we'd get about 20 miles away, she'd appear from someplace:confused: and we'd have an extra passenger. But she was a good traveller, only complicated things when we were going to a "no-pet" place. And it meant that I had to stop and call the kitty-sitter to let her know that she didn't need to feed and scoop.

Fluffy2 (is it something about the name?:rolleyes: ) was very different. She didn't bother when we were getting ready to go someplace, but she'd keep opening all unlocked doors. She herself never got into anything, but the other three had a ball... especially in cupboards and closets. And it would take almost a day and much coaxing for her to come to me after I got home.

Anyone else have a furkid who invited themselves along?:)

Marg

cruzdirector
February 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
My little guy (schnauzer mix) just went to the groomer today so he would look nice to go to the doggie resort in a couple weeks. I am starting to feel bad already because he has to be in a cage for the week.
He is really my baby.

Lightsluvr
February 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Our "Mr. Kitty" perches on top of the big suticase and "dares" us to move him...:)

tgo's
February 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Anyone else have a furkid who invited themselves along?:)

Marg

We had a poodle - Peppi - who often feared being left behind. We were packing our camper once for a family trip - and the family trips always included the dogs - started packing the night before so we could take off in the wee-hours of the morning. We were getting finnished and wanted to turn in for the night - Mom started asking "Hey, has anyone seen Peppi?" We were worried that she had wandered and would be missed in the morning. We went through the yard, up and down the street, calling her with no luck.
We decided - oh well, she'll come knock at the door when she is done with whatever her adventure is, or we'll have to search harder in the morining and get a later start. Stepped out to close up the camper - shut the closet door, and guess who had tucked herself into the corner of the upper bed and was "hiding". She had heard us calling but decided not to risk answering.
She had never been left out of a camping trip before but somehow was worried about this one. She dug her claws into the foam mattress and would not budge. Finaly, I told Mom I would sleep out in the camper with her - she was not going the let go.

trish1c
February 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Since I found a great kennel -- called the PetSpa, the bill it as a vacation for the animal too -- I have no problems. I actually tell him he's going to the PetSpa & he gets excited. I'm usually a little hurt when I pick him up & he whimpers as we're going home -- like he doesn't want to leave. :o Everyone I know who boards there animals at this place says the same thing. The babies are so well cared for. Last year when my parents had to send their Corgie to Rainbow Bridge, the PetSpa actually sent a condolance card.

Kpstill
February 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry to say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one worrying about the dog.

My husband thinks I am crazy but I find it even harder leaving our dog, Amber, than I do the kids. Amber is an 11 year old lab with separation anxiety and I think I have it too. We are doing a practice run this weekend and I find that I am calling with reminders twice a day.

We cannot bring out our suitcases until she is out of the house. She will follow us around and wimper if she sees a suitcase, backpack or worst of all a sleeping bag. She shakes, whines and basically looks just sick if she thinks she is going to be left.

Everyone keeps saying that she is just a dog and will get over it but it just breaks my heart to leave her. We are cruising with my parents this time so she is being left with my sister-in-law and her family. It is Amber's first time there so I think this is weighing more on me. The kids can ask for what they want but Amber can't so I have to make sure I cover all the bases.

Thanks for letting me vent to people who understand!!!:(

:( You are not crazy. Our last cruise was in December. Our 11 year old Bichon DIED the day before we came home. Our neighbor took wonderful care of him and our 12 year-old Bichon. But his heart went out while we were gone. We were thankful that our neighbor put her cell phone on speaker so we can say good-bye. How sad is that?? :(

voyagerfl
February 26th, 2006, 11:04 PM
It's the pouting when we get home that is funny...
Duncan (our Dog) will great his......happy to see us home.....
Then he will sit across the room.....facing away and snub us for a while. Won't come when called etc.......

We finally got him partly over it.......
We always have a new stuffed toy in the luggage....
(Shhhh, don't tell him we buy them in advance and keep them hidden in the closet)
Now after the inital greetings.......he goes to the luggage, sniffs around and paws at it till he gets his toy! :rolleyes:

lawolfe
February 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM
This is a great thread. My previous pup (died in October) was the worst pouter. As soon as the suitcases came out he would follow me around closer than my shadow with the biggest, saddest eyes you've ever seen. He actually jumped in the trunk of my car once when he thought I was packing to leave. Fortunately he only weighed forty pounds and I could lift him out. :o

tiny-t
February 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thank God there are other people who have a VERY hard time leaving their pets. My 17 month-old Pug, Otis, cries and pouts whenever I leave the house for a few hours. A few weeks ago I was gone all day and he stopped eating and messed in the house. Needless to say, I am very worried about leaving on my 7 day cruise this Sunday. He has slept with me nearly every night since he was 6 weeks old and I have home office, so I am home all day too. My sister, who I live with, will be watching him while I am gone.

Any advice on how to make it easier for Otis while I am gone? Also, it sounds really stupid, but should I make a video tape of me to play to Otis while I am gone (he also likes to watch Animal Planet on TV) or do ya'll think seeing me would make it worse for him?

Help!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mjasp
February 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think your dog will be fine. After all he is in his own home with a roommate.

We picked up our Bichon today and when he saw us, he just screamed and cried at the top of his lungs, I never heard anything like it.

He is now home and very happy.

Good Luck evryone, we board him again in August. :(

KAS-Cruiser
February 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
We have a 4 year old chihuahua that had been abandoned(before we adopted her) ... so now evertime we get the suitcases out she gets the saddest look on her face. It breaks our hearts to see her like that. Once she realizes that the grandparents are coming to take care of here she perks up alittle. The things we do for our little babies. We normally do not dress her up but this cocktail dress was bought by some friends and we hd to take a pic of her.

ladybugcruises
March 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
We just returned home from a 10-day cruise. We had a couple of people stay with our 1 year old, Maltipoo. She has followed us around like a little shadow. We were unpacking and she was trying to get in the suitcases, had to put them on the bed. We were seperating our dirty clothes on the floor and she came and laid on top of them. I think that she missed us as much as we missed her. During our excursions my husband would say "i think Caicos (dog's name) would have enjoyed meeting the stingrays." or "what would Caicos wear for formal night?" pretty pathetic, huh? When we checked our messages when we got home, there was a message from my mom telling the house/pet sitter that she would be taking Caicos for the day. She also left messages for our dog when she knew that Caicos was going to be alone for a hours. Our dog is very spoiled, even by the grandparents. We hate to leave her, but we bring pictures of her on our trips.

Jazzfman
March 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
My fish won't look me in the eye when they see me setting up the automatic feeder :eek:

Texas
March 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
We have a two year old Bichon that gives us such joy. My DH's blood pressure has dropped since we brought our baby home. We left her once for a weekend with our wonderful neighbor who has two small dogs. Belle likes her and her dogs -- but she hates to be separated from us. We know Belle will do fine -- its US we are worried about!

iwunderu
March 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM
We just brought home a new puppy and she wasn't happy!

She hasn't figured out the suitcases thing yet. Thank goodness.

luvgreys
March 9th, 2006, 10:09 PM
My fish won't look me in the eye when they see me setting up the automatic feeder :eek:

Now that's funny!!!:p We bought new luggage, so Cole..(My greyhound) can't fit in it anymore!

beauty1492
March 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Our girls get so unhappy when they see the luggage come out. Last cruise we found Beauty (photo above) had replaced some of my personal things including my favorite hair brush with dog toys. It was good for a laugh. I think she want to go with us, and was packing her favorite stuff.

voyagerfl
March 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Sigh........Our Duncan will be 17 in June..he's getting up there....this picture is maybe 3 years old. Yes, he's missing an eye...
He even has his own eye $pecialist $$$$

http://www.lifevoyager.net/images/Duncan%201.jpg

nagster
March 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah rexy roo knows something is up when the suitcase comes out.

Jeanie821
March 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I have a twelve-year-old Persian that goes by the name of MeToo. When he sees the suitcases come out, he goes into a snit, even though he knows that Pop-Pop and Nana Cathy (Dad and his girlfriend) will be looking after him, and he just loves Nana Cathy. He won't eat for the first day or so after I leave, then he goes back to normal until I arrive home. Then he yells at me for a while. After my cruise last month, not only did I get a feline tongue-lashing, he followed me around for three days!

BTW... last fall, my dad had back surgery and was hospitalized for a few days. Because he doesn't own luggage, I loaned him the smaller of my suitcases. MeToo saw this and had a fit. Boy, was he confused when I came home that evening. "Wait a minute... I saw the suitcase... now where's Pop-Pop?"

jcb-rn
April 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Zoe, our Chihuahua/Dachshund mix recognizes when we pull into the doggy daycare place and she starts with her crazy shaking. She recognizes the packing phase but doesn't get too out of control then. I'm not a big shopper, but she always gets something from our trips (when I usually don't get anything for myself). She's sooo rotten:o , but she's our child.
Jenn

ngl116
May 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
My hubby and I have 3 "kids." Our dog, Chico, goes to grandma and grandpas house which he loves. We haven't had to leave himanywhere yet, we just got him in November, so we'll have to see about that!

We have a ferrett, Scoot. He goes to my MIL's house and he thinks it's great, he actually gets mad when we bring him home! He won't play for a few days.

And we have a bearded dragon, Blitz. He stays at home and my dad comes over and feeds and cleans him. He doesn't care about much, as long as his heat lamp comes on everyday, and his bowl is full of veggies.

tm3750
May 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Shadow, our black lab has fits when we get out the suitcases, everytime we arrive at our destination and open our suitcases we find dog treats in them, makes you smile and laugh a bit.

cowprintrabbit
May 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
We are more likely to find a slobbered on tennis ball and some dog hair in ours! Our black lab/bordercollie mix, Indy, is only 30 lbs, her other favourite trick is to lay down in the suitcase you are trying to pack - like just maybe you won't notice her an accidentally talke her along :-)

Peacefrog2180
May 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
my cat zoe loves to lay on top of the suitcase or worse...inside the suitcase. Its always great when theres cat hair all over the nicely cleaned and ironed clothes!! But she will staying w/her grandparents (my folks) for the week. We both used to live there so it will be familiar for her. And my cat as well will ignore for the first night or so that i am home.

timmy1958
May 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Ever see a 130 lb. German Shepherd pout? It is a combination of heart-wrenching and hilarious. He stays with my parents, which he loves, and when he first sees us when we get home he growls at us! Too funny!

Roses2
May 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
We have an 150 (about) pound Great Dane (Xena) who also understands that suitcases mean a disruption of her very important routine. However, even though she tries to make us feel guilty I resist as hard as I can for I know she has fun when we are gone. My granddaughter house/dog sits for us while we are gone. Which means that she takes Xena out to her house where there are 3 or 4 other dogs for her to play with and Xena loves it! She comes home and needs a rest.

Peggy

rowdy
May 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
My pets are horribly sad. My cat is about 14yrs old and when the suitcase comes out, he really starts to panic. My dogs also start to get upset. We've always left them at home with a dog sitter, but both of my sitters have moved away. I just found a really awesome, but very expensive "K-9 Retreat" for them to try out. They have individual log cabins, human beds, television, swimming pools, and lots of play areas. We're trying this place out over the 4th of July. From what I've heard, your dogs don't want to go home after a week of pampering.

My suggestion is if you can afford it, find somewhere like this. If they look forward to staying somewhere, you won't feel so bad about leaving them behind. These are my only kids, so I usually experience a little abandonment issues the first day or so of vacation. But, after a few pina coladas, you start to feel better!

jdlowndes
May 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM

He knows that "daddy" doesn't take a suitcase with him to work everyday!

jdlowndes
May 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM

And he is so happy for me to return!

cindy58
May 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Our dog (a Golden Retriever) pouts when we go to work sometimes! We are so lucky that my inlaws take care of her and our cat when we're on vacation. The pets LOVE their grandparents and I don't think they mind at all being over there. When they come home, the dog has to sleep for a week to catch up on her rest -- really wears an old girl out following grandpa around all day long!

We were on vacation last week and I felt kind of bad when we picked the pets up -- my FIL looked pretty sad that they were leaving, and I knew he would miss them.

Ceramicpro
May 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
When we get home we find "presents" on the carpet throughout the house. Our babies aren't bitter about us leaving...really!:rolleyes:

Maria1879
May 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
We are childless, so our babies are the furry kind. Ty, our Lhasa Apso, is very sensitive to being left alone. He has separation anxiety, poor guy. He get's to be boarded when we leave on trips, which isn't all that often, but he will definately give the cold shoulder when we return. He will sit with his back to us, and be quite aloof. Luckily he gets over it in a few hours. It's hard to leave him, and his sisters, the cats. They are a big part of our lives and it's a bit sad to leave them when we go.

Here is Ty and the girls, Middy, Molly and Kit:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=313207

SkyBlueWater
May 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
My DH and I returned from our cruise on Sunday and our little Maltese/Bichon, Lola, is still pouting. She didn't put up much of stink when we left, and she was spoiled at Grandpa and Grandma's house (my parents), but man, she is ticked off. We are hoping she snaps out of it soon. Although, it's actually kind of funny to see her acting all gruff and tough. :D

MTcruiser
June 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Every time the suitcases come out and we start packing the dog starts acting like she knows we're leaving her. pretty cute.

bpolan
June 16th, 2006, 07:53 PM
We have two tibetan terriers, and boy do they getv anxious when we take out our suitcases. the older one (13) gets in the suitcase and lies down on our clothes. both hover over us if they see us packing.
fortunately, for us and for them, my breeder takes them whenever we travel (which is frequent) and they love going there, especially when she has puppies they can play with. that makes it much easier for us when we know they are happy!

sweetpea-2
June 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I usually get the suitcases out and start trying on clothes, pressing and packing about 1 week prior to cruise. As soon as the suitcases come out my dog starts to act funny and pouts. How many of you out there have that same thing in your house?:o

no pets but have some relatives that do ;)

TechKnowBabble
June 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
no pets but have some relatives that do ;)

Hahahhahaa..that's funny, my BF's stepmother told us that we had been on 3 cruises and that was ENOUGH, most people don't even get to go on one. Welll WAAAAHHHHH...that's not MY fault. Then again she tends to be a petty whining little person anyway. She complained when my BF bought a new car that SHE had never owned a new car. :rolleyes:

Jeanie821
June 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hahahhahaa..that's funny, my BF's stepmother told us that we had been on 3 cruises and that was ENOUGH, most people don't even get to go on one. Welll WAAAAHHHHH...that's not MY fault. Then again she tends to be a petty whining little person anyway. She complained when my BF bought a new car that SHE had never owned a new car. :rolleyes:

As my brother would say, "Waaaaaaaaaah... f*^#'n waaaaaaaaaah..."

And maybe a cruise would fix BF's stepmother's crankiness!

asader83
June 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I have two small dogs, a Chihuahua and a Toy Pomeranian. When they see their dog sitter pull in with her duffel bag, they goes nuts! They get to spend a week with Nikki! I was actually offended the first time she sat. Not only did they not care when I left, but when I got home, all I got was a "Hey Mom" and off they went. But that does make me feel better when I go somewhere that they are so well cared for while I'm gone.

Parrot Mom
July 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
LOL...just before we leave...we go in our bird room and tell our parrots, especially the two greys that we are going on vacation.. and we count off on our fingers how many days... adding one or two...and that their sitter, Tracey, willtake care of them. A few times when we have come back one of my greys has showed she was not happy and bit me......Our dog is taken to a friends home who spoils her rotten and we pack up a bag for h er with her toys and bed.

pb82
July 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Consider taking your pet with you. Cunard has kennels, at least on the trans-Atlantics. Maybe other lines do too. Ask your favorite line, better yet, insist. If enough customers do, the line may realize that kennels are a money maker, as well as a crowd pleaser. Cunard charges $50./day for a small kennel (30"x36"x30"), and considering how little a pet eats per day (compared to its owner), they have to be making money on it. We enjoyed travelling with our cat during our May-June crossings. I bet you would too.

thepeacha
July 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM
My Thoroughbred pouts when I travel. He does not get suitcase access but he gets stressed before I head out, goes off his feed and gets depressed if I am gone long. Then he is SO happy to have me home!!! My homebody kitties decide those suitcases were brought up for their napping pleasure, I have to lock them in another room to get my packing done!

cruzdirector
July 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I started this thread in January while getting ready for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. Now there is a going to be a new puppy in the house in a couple weeks and we are planning a Hawaii cruise in Sept. That should be fun.
As soon as she gets to be at home here (and spoiled like the older dog) she will become a pouter too.
Oh well, gotta love em.

LHARTWICK
July 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Ours don't really catch on to the fact that we're leaving, but when we return - oh boy! Pout city! My cat turns his back on us literally and will not even look at us. Our smaller older dog pouts, too. Our big Lab doesn't care - just as long as someone feeds her and visits her while we are gone.

PACKMYBAGS
July 28th, 2006, 11:08 PM
My husband and I have an 11 year old Shepard cross that starts pouting the moment the suitcases come out. I have to sneak the luggage into the spare room when it comes time to start packing...

We tried boarding her for a week at a Dog Spa once, but the staff told us when we came to pick her up that she was incredibly stressed in the kennel and they had to upgrade her to a private suite for the week. Since then we always have a family member house sit with her in our own home.

Once we come home, we get the silent treatment for a few days..... :(

Am I the only one that has "Picture of the dog" on my packing list? One of the first things that I unpack once we get on board is my favorite photo of her, and it goes up on the vanity mirror for the week. :D

-Katie

Nicki61
July 29th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I would like to know why no one has figured a way for us to bring our loved ones with us? I mean, they will let seeing eye dogs on the ship and they have to poop somewhere...why can't they just take over a bar room, or somewhere without carpet, and let that be the potty? We can all pick up after oursleves, or we wouldnt' bring our loveys. They do it in fancy hotels when there is a dog show, why not a cruise? I am sure there would be less pee in the pool than when a bunch of 2/3 year olds are in the pool.

I am not thinking of leaving my Shih Tzu for a week. She will be just fine playing with my sons dog and having our daughter stay here at the house with her, but "Mommy" won't be here...

Maybe someone should contact Purina or Iams.

threecats
July 29th, 2006, 01:06 AM
My neurotic tomcat Mikey has this thing about nylon straps, so he's in 7th heaven when I start packing until I leave, because he can sit by the suitcase and lick the straps endlessly. The two girls try to hide in the suitcase and, once the suitcase is closed, they are going around my legs, as if they're trying to make me fall.

When I get back, they all ignore me. Mikey is busy with the suitcase again (see above!), and the other 2 very pointedly turn their backs as soon as they realize that it's me and not the cat sitter that has come in. Luckily for me, that only lasts until the next meal time, when they realize that I'm back in control of the food!

I like the idea of petitioning the cruise lines to let us bring our pets on board. Wouldn't that be hilarious? I can just see my cats balancing on the balcony rails to visit the neighbors! The only problem would be that they're used to having their litter boxes in the bathrooms, and given the size of most cruise ship bathrooms, that wouldn't leave any room for me to get in!:D

pb82
July 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
It would be crude to suggest that you could solve the litter box/bathroom problem by getting a much larger litter box, so I won't.

threecats
July 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
:d:d:d

TechKnowBabble
August 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
It would be crude to suggest that you could solve the litter box/bathroom problem by getting a much larger litter box, so I won't.

HAHASHAHAHAAA...that was funny. I needed a good laugh today. Thanks! :D

constantcruiser
August 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM
When our daughters were teenagers and all 4 of us shared a cabin, there were many times DH would have gladly used a litter box if it meant he didn't have to share a bathroom with 3 women trying to get ready for a formal night!

radka99
August 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
We got so lucky that our housecleaner lady wants to stay in our house
and watch the dogs Lucy(pug) and Ruby(yorkie) they love her and
it will be the best for all of us.... Hope everyone will find a nice way
to leave your loved ones with

Good luck....rada

zillabe
August 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
My DH and I have a little shih tzu names Zilla (short for Godzilla) so you can imagine what a little beast she can be. She can tell when were leaving if we are getting ready in the bathroom, so when she sees the suitcases she panics. So we make sure we drop her off early over my parents house that way she can play with their big dog and forget all about us for a week....the only problem is I don't forget about her!:D She doesn't take it out on us when we get back though cause she gets spoiled the whole week by her "grandparents"

Angelayu
August 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Me and my bf got a mini schnauzer (Pepper), he will be 14 months old when we'll be leaving for our 7 night cruise next month. He'll be staying in my house, with my parents to take care of him. I'm sure he'll misses us like crazy. I still haven't pack yet, so I don't know what his reaction will be. We've never went on a over night trip without him, this will be the first time and hopefully everything will go well. I'll be bringing a picture of Pepper to the cruise. :p

angel123
August 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
My Angel Is A 10 Year Older Cocker. She Will Get In The Suitcase After Dragging Her Blankie And Sock In In .then She Refuses To Eat For About 3 To 4 Days While We Are Gone. When We Return She Will Not Let Me Out Of Her Site At All . If I Go Outside To Take The Trash She Has To Go , She Will Also Pull Out Her Hair On Her Back Leggs When We Are Gone. And The Bad Thing Is We Or Gone About 8 Weeks Out Of The Year. My Son And Daughter Are With Her Every Minute While We Are Gone.they Never Leave Her Alone.we Also Never Leave Her Alone .she Is Sooooooooo Spoiled,

sdear
August 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
My yellow lab pouts when the suitcases come out ! He just lays there and mopes around until I go.

My cat bites hair out of his fur when I am out of town, not alot, but small clumps.

We are lucky to have great neighbors that watch them while we are gone. We were gone a week in June , and I think the dog was mad we came back..he had so much fun playing with their kids ! Only thing, lol...is the kids and the dog used the pool ALOT...and now Roscoe (the dog), thinks that pool is for his private use now ! hahah :D

We are going again in October, so should be interesting :)

lhall85917
August 21st, 2006, 07:26 AM
I haven't read all the posts, but had to add my story! We have a cockapoo, Max, who pouts like many of the other pets. When the suitcase comes out he knows whats going on. A couple of weeks ago we went to Punta Cana for a few days and when we started getting the suitcases ready you could see that he knew what was going on. He was going to stay home and my son was going to watch him, so we got ready to leave as usual. Just before leaving I got his leash to take him out and he got sooooo excited!! I know he thought he was getting to go with us. He ran outside and sat by the car waiting to get in and wouldn't come in the house when I called him. It just broke my heart and made it so hard to leave!!
It's amazing how our pets tug our heartstrings!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d923b3127cce8abc1dc3cc5100000016100EZtmjVsyZMQ

constantcruiser
August 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'm so glad to hear someone else brings pictures of their pets on cruises--I thought we were the only ones crazy enough to do that! We pack a framed 5x7 of our Russian Blue cats that we put on the nightstand by the bed. Often wonder just how weird the cabin stewards think we are.

On another subject, we've gotten towel animals made up to look like elephants, rabbits, pigs, monkeys, dogs, dolphins...but never a kitty! Has anybody ever gotten one that was a cat? If we did, that would really increase our cabins steward's tip!

cruizinmimi
August 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Reading through this thread brought back so many memories. Our lab (no passed on) used to pout big time when the luggage came out. He would pout when I would get my keys out of my purse. He really did not like to be left alone. The trauma that Rex (lab) went through each time we went on a cruise was just too much for all of us. I, too, would get someone to come to the house because he refused to go to a kennel or pet spa.

It has been 5 years since Rex has passed on and we are about to embark on our 18 cruise in just a couple of weeks. I still get all choked up when I get the luggage out.....it just brings back so many wonderful memories (as well as the trauma).

We do love our pets

Linda

cruizinmimi
August 24th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Oh, by the way, Ihall85917, your Max is just adorable :)

Linda

SexySixties
August 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
It is tough to leave these dogs behind, isn't it? We have a cockapoo also, like Max (Ihall85917) and he is such a lovely dog. His name is Bailey and is 7 now, and also gives us the big eyes when he sees the suitcases, and tries to stay near us whenever we move about. I hate leaving them, and wish these cruise ships had a "poop deck" so we could bring them along.:)

cruisindoggie
September 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM
We have cats that act very strange when ever we pull ou t the luggage. And yes they do pout.:(

first_time_cruiser_sept06
September 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM
My Golden is laying at my feet right now. We are leaving next Sunday and this will be the first time she has ever been away from me..... I have opted to leave her at a dog-sitters house.... I am going to be a mess!

Okay, now I am going to ask for opinions - I have two choices - I can leave her at home for 8 days with people coming in 2-3 times per day to feed and let her potty. She will be here by herself...
or
I can leave her at the dog-sitters - the lady is licensed.. I have taken my pup over there once and she just stayed right by my leg... I think this lady will take care of her I just worry that my dog will get out of the yard and if she does.... she will be GONE!

Need advice..........what would you do?

MsAbs
September 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I don't have any children, but I have two cats that pout. One will get in my suit case; however, I have never shut it with her in it. lol When I'm gone, they get very sad, and they don't eat very much. I always feel bad about leaving them alone. A friend of mine takes care of them when I'm out of town. She's just like me... has no kids, so her kitties are just as spoiled as mine.

threecats
September 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM
... so her kitties are just as spoiled as mine.
My kitties aren't spoilt. They just trained me well.;)

cruisinchick06
September 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
yes, whenever i pul out the suitcases my cat starts to get really nervous...when i go on shorter trips, i have to pack the night before so as not to stress him out....but on a longer trip, i like to pack early, so i'll close the door so he won't see me pack, then hide the suitcase...sad, i know..he's just a cat..but the things we do for our pets!

daaling
September 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
cruizedirector...cat pouts w/ any type of luggage..jumps in and snoozes,,lays on all the "stuff on the bed"..gives me a gth look..and finally goes under the bed..as in now..embark 9/30 Holiday..n getting a jump on "oh my god, what to wear/take"..turn right around and fly to Alaska..he's really gonna be naffed off!..but he's on auto feed/water..good to go for days..judi

MsAbs
September 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM
My kitties aren't spoilt. They just trained me well.;)

LOL... then I'm well trained :p

Marinegal
September 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
My cruise leaves on Sunday. My yorkie is already pouting!

mis7up
September 20th, 2006, 12:22 AM
WOW this is a cool thread. Well my hubby and I have 3 mini schnauzers. One white (Princess "Sofie"), 2 salt and pepper (Little Miss Dandelion"Dande" and Driving Miss "Daisy"), we've never left them before and well the adjustment we have to make not only for them but for our 4 children. Boy I'm excited but sad already after ready all the threads. My pups get sad when I leave them to go take the kids to school and totally excited when I get home. Not only will my mom be house sitting, kid sitting but puppy sitting. I really feel for her. Boy I think she's going to have a mess on her hands. My fish how ever, I don't think they care as long as they are fed. Sofie (almost 10 months old) is the dearest most sweetiest pup we have, such a lover, she's always by my side. Big soft hearted eyes that make you melt. Besides us leaving my kids, I'm beside myself about leaving her. Dande and Daisy are a mess, they are are just shy of 8 months old. I think with my kids being home they won't pout so much. If my mom doesn't strangle them before we get back. She's never been around them more then a few hours at a time, thank GOD they are kennel trained. She might strangle the twins but I think Sofie will be an angel.

If this was my mom's dog, it would be different, she was a pouter big time, she died a few years ago. She was a platinum blonde rat terrier. Looked like Toto, she knew always. And she was a character, if I didn't come over to their house on a regular basis she's stand in the drive way when I pulled up and bark at me and not let me drive all the way up. After a bit, she's whimper and whine and bark at me until I picked her up, and then we were friends again. I guess it was her way of saying she missed me. My mom always missed her when she went on trips. She was a special dog. And I know how my mom felt about Sissy as we feel about our pups.

If anyone says a animal is an animal, then I don't feel that they are true lovers of animals, because, they are members of the family. They love you as much as a child loves a parent. And a happy pet is like a happy child. They play, they love, they are as affectionate, you not only know how they feel, they know exactly how you feel. Pets are amazing.

JBDigitalphoto
September 23rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
I got the suitcase out today had a few things in the top pocket and came back to find one of my dogs in the suitcase.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/jbdigitalphoto/Cruise/IMG_0043.jpg

beauty1492
September 23rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
What a cutie!
Beauty has been know to remove and replace items. So I get a squeeky toy instead of what I thought I packed. The first time I spent tons of time said I know I packed.....I think, she thinks, if she packs she get to go too! I love crusieing but I wish I could take her too. What a perfect world that would be:)

constantcruiser
September 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
We just returned from a quick 5-day cruise on the Enchantment and DH was doing OK without our Russian Blue kitties...for the first 12 hours of the cruise! Then we got to Key West and saw a couple out for a walk with their cat in a stroller. That did it -- he immediately called home to ask our daughter if our cats missed him!

4dogs
October 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
I have been having fun reading about how everyone loves their pets and how much they miss them while away from home!
As my screen name says, I have 4 dogs, all of whom I love dearly (we have no children). We also have other pets (birds and cats).
I saw some photos of beautiful and loved critters, enjoyed them, thanks!

My animals do the same thing as most of yours, when the luggage comes out, they must make thier presence known by jumping in and trying to go!
It is at times a relief to not have to feed, bathe and potty all of them while on a vacation. (I have 11 animals total to tend to)

Although they cannot go, I always end up with their HAIR still all over my good clothes when I get to where ever we are going!
It's then that I realize how much I miss them!
4 dogs

mycruz
October 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Prior to our Baltic cruise last June, one of our cats would spend every night curled up in my lap. Since we returned, over a year ago, she won't sit in my lap at all! I think she really is holding a grudge.

golfer20
November 5th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Yea I know I have the same problem. I get out the suitcases and start to pack a couple of days ahead and from that moment on my dog gives me the worst look. Like I'm going away and never coming back for her. She's a terrier mix 7 years old. Dogs are not dumb they know when your going away !!!! I've been lucky so far I have not had to board her. My sister takes care of her while I'm gone. I do the same thing for her when she goes on vacation she has a lab mix. I feel guilty while I'm packing but I keep telling her that I will be back in a few days. I know one thing its a great feeling when you return home and find them wagging their tail and licking you to death to see you back !!!!!! :p

spotcat
November 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM
We have three cats. Our Maine Coon isn't bothered at all by our absence. He loves us when we're home, but whatever. Our tuxedo cat is curious about the luggage and is happy to see us when we return, but no big deal. As long as they are fed, all is good.

My baby, Spot, is very distressed from the minute he sees the luggage. He gets in it and whimpers. I will definitely be packing in the guest room in the future! When we get home, Spot wants to be held constantly. He sleeps on my pillow, purrs in my ear, and keeps waking me up by patting my face.

This is a wonderful thread! I can admit to what some think is really weird...I own a nanny service and I pay a couple of my nannies to come over and hold my cat while I am on vacation. Spot loves it! Being paid to hold and pet a cat? The cat people on my staff think this is the best job ever!

ma_in_ak
November 14th, 2006, 12:05 AM
As soon as the suitcases come out, my 2 cats either jump on top of or insde and lay down. But we have to be careful and not leave them out when we aren't in teh room as one of our cats in particular will let her feelings be known by using the suitcase as a litter box! We take them to a kennel for cats only and htey both seem really happy there, but I guess it's just her way of telling me how she feels about being left behind. "Poo on you too!"

memphislonghorn
December 2nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
I also have 2 cats. They are not at all vocal. However, anytime I come back from a trip, they let their feelings be known. I can tell by their expressions and vocals that they are cussing me out. "WHERE have you been!?:mad:

golf43
December 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
As soon as the suitcases come out. He knows. We just have to make sure when we return that we have something for him. Otherwise we will be in big trouble. He will lay on the couch and pout. Its amazing how they act. I usually hit Walmart before we leave. Keep the present with us, so when we return we can give it to him. He doesn't know when I bought it.

MonaCK
December 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Our cats always seem to know also. One of them climbs into whatever suitcase we happen to have open on the bed, I guess in the hopes that we'll take her with us. :) The cats usually "punish" us by not visiting us in bed the night before we leave on a trip.

Last was no exception. ;)

katyj
December 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
As soon as our cases come out our Jack russell "Josh" begins to sulk, he goes from being very attentive, and wanting to be on my knee all the time, to ignoring me and going to sit with my son, and giving me baleful looks all the time. This continues until we get home and then its as though he missed us so much he wants to get inside our skin cos he can't get close enough

cyscopup
February 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Our Jack Russell mix will go off and sit with his back to us when he sees the suitcases coming out. It is very cute because he will ignore us until the first article of clothing goes in the suitcase or one of us speaks to him and then he jumps in the suitcase like he wants to go with us.:D

ggprincess2004
March 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
My little princess, Christie the himalayan, is a true feline. She knows we are leaving when the suitcases come out, and becomes standoffish. Her late twin brother, Andrew, used to just curl up inside a suitcase and look at us pitifully. (Andrew was an amazing and extremely sweet kittie - miss him terribly) We leave her at home with her Nana Abby, a fabulous cat nanny and housesitter. Nonetheless, Christie acts out while we are gone. Instead of the litter box, she picks a spot on the carpet outside of the laundry room and "adopts" it for potty use. Nana Abby puts down doggie piddle pads on the chosen spot, which greatly limits the problem, but does not stop the acting out. I still come home to a spoiled kitty who needs a 12 step as a result of being indulged in catnip twice daily.
She has gotten better about homecomings, however. Now it only takes her about 20 minutes to warm up to us and want to be petted and cuddled. Used to take at least 24 hours.
I do have a slight case of the guilties every time we leave her, but we do her leave in excellent hands in her own home (believe me, it is her home, she just lets us live there to serve her and does not think we are entitled to time off!)
Gotta love that baby girl. :rolleyes:

Warm Breezes
March 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I got our suitcases out in the livingroom a couple days early for our cruise last year and started putting in DD(10)'s clothes. Every morning her sundresses would be scattered all over the living room. I would ask her what the deal was and get the reply "it wasn't me it was Princess (her cat)". Everytime we would put her clothes in suitcase the cat would jump in and pull them all out. It was quite a comical site since she is not a very big cat (8lbs at the most).:D

Sophaki19
March 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
My little dog curls up and lays down in the suitcase, like he is saying "take me with you!"

fatcat04
April 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Oh yeah... we have 6 indoor cats. Most are fine although they do not like it when they see the suitcases come out. They KNOW what that means.

BUT I do have a couple of problem fur children. One licks her backside half bald everytime we go out of town. (She is a nervous girl anyway having been a feral rescue)
Another, my big fat oh so vocal tabby, won't speak to me for a good 24 hours after we return. Won't even let me touch him. He seems highly offended but then he is a cat and well, they can be a bit moody anyway.

But then I love them so and I too am well trained :D

bjbdlb
April 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Normally, our dogs stay with a sitter, but due to severe medical issues, she was unable to take this time, so we hired a local teen to come in and care for them.

They love her and were okay, but for the first time, one of our dogs did decide to let us know her displeasure about having been left at home. She showed uncharacteristic aggressiveness at the dog park, and started growling at our other dogs. We did not allow this behavior to go unnoticed, we did not hit her but reprimanded her and immediately removed her from the park, and after about a week, she got back to her normal self.

A classic was when I was home from college and my parents went away for a trip to Egypt. I went in there bedroom one morning and found "presents" on each of thier pillows.

Honeybear
April 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM
OK, I have a story just the opposite of all of yours.
First remember my DH works swing shift and couldn't go with DD and I on our cruise.
On this cruise, our ship stopped in Cayman Islands. We were told we could make a 3 minute phone call home for free. (This was to get you into this really nice jewelry store.) When it was my turn to call, I called my two Yorkies and talked to them on our answering machine. I just missed them so much.
When DH came home from work and saw what I had done, he played and replayed my message to my Yorkies, Angel and Kodibear.
All of our friends decided I really am crazy! :confused: :D

Honeybear
April 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
:( You are not crazy. Our last cruise was in December. Our 11 year old Bichon DIED the day before we came home. Our neighbor took wonderful care of him and our 12 year-old Bichon. But his heart went out while we were gone. We were thankful that our neighbor put her cell phone on speaker so we can say good-bye. How sad is that?? :(

Sad??? I sat here and cried over your dog! I'm so sorry for you!

Dagny
May 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that one. My cat picks his moment, usually as I am reaching for the door handle to leave, and hits me with it.

Once, last summer, I looked at him as he did it...I cancelled my trip.

Yes, I am whipped.

MagMae7
May 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I love this thread! Our dog is so spoiled. We have a min pin and he can be very destructive. We are worried about leaving him for two weeks when we go on our cruise. My brother is coming to the house to watch him but if he doesn't keep a good eye on him, there is no telling what my house will look like when I get back (our punishment for leaving). In fact Duke, my dog, is sitting on my foot as I am typing this. Maybe he is getting suspicious...

YankeeCruiser
May 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Our kitty, Sara, always knows when there's something going on. Once those suitcases come out, she gets really restless and wanders all over the house, and won't sleep w/us the night before we leave. When we get back (even if it's just been 48 hours), she'll glue herself to my side for a couple of days, as if to say "mommy, mommy, where did you go, I missed you!!".

I think our trips are harder on me than her, though - a few months after we rescued her from the shelter she got really sick - turned out she has asthma, and since it wasn't being treated she got bronchitis. Now she's on an inhaler, and it's not easy to find a pet sitter who has any experience with that. So I start worrying that she'll have an asthma attack while I'm gone and no-one will be there to notice... which is ridiculous, 'cause we have her asthma completely under control. It's hard at night, too, 'cause I imagine her curled up all by herself on our bed...

Man, I'm a wimp!! :o

constantcruiser
May 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Does anyone else take pictures of their pets with them when they cruise? My DH is so attached to our 2 Russian Blue cats that he keeps a framed 5X7 picture of them on the dresser throughout the cruise -- yes, I'm sure the cabin steward thinks we're nuts!

Jeanie821
May 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Does anyone else take pictures of their pets with them when they cruise? My DH is so attached to our 2 Russian Blue cats that he keeps a framed 5X7 picture of them on the dresser throughout the cruise -- yes, I'm sure the cabin steward thinks we're nuts!

Well... I have pics of my cat, my dad's two cats, another one of Dad's cats who crossed Rainbow Bridge last fall, and my mom's Dachshund in my cell phone. Never leave home without 'em.

Beachgirl6479
May 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Our baby Chloe, an 8 year old dalmation/springer spaniel mix, always has mixed emotions when the suitcases come out. When we go to the beach, either Sanibel, St. Augustine, or Clearwater here in Florida, we always stay at pet-friendly resorts so she can go with us. She loves her car rides! So when the suitcases come out for a cruise, she usually assumes she's going away someplace special too, gets all excited, wags, and runs out to the car. She's usually jumped into the car before we even have the luggage loaded! The look she gives us when we drop her off at the "pet spa" is priceless, and almost enough to make us change our mind and go home to be with our baby girl! Taking her to the kennel is the very last thing we do before we leave, and picking her up is the first thing we do when we get back! Now, our two cats, Cosmo and Greybie, they like to "pack" themselves into our suitcases. They are constantly hopping in. It's Chloe that makes it so hard though. They call them puppy dog eyes for a reason!

Ju1es
May 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I have pictures of my dog laying in my suitcase - "take me with you!!!"

FreewayFortune
May 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have an adorable cockapoo named Fortune. Whenever we go on a trip we get picked up by the airport limo and Fortune always tries to come with us. We got very excited last year when we found a doggie boutique store in Juneau. And yes I always bring pictures of my baby on trips with me too.

heatherandfred
May 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Here is little miss rudeness...I got out my suitcases super early ( I can't wait, what can I tell ya). She decided to make herself comfortable. BTW her name is Heather

FreewayFortune
May 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. HeatherandFred your kitty is adorable:) My baby is fine because my brother looks after her when I go away. She still makes me feel guilty. It's funny how many people start talking about their pets on a cruise. And yes most of them have pics too.
smiles Meaghan

heatherandfred
May 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM
;) Thank you...she is a cutie pie though.

I hate the fact that I have to board her, but I know she'll be okay. She'll have her favorite hamster with her (yes it's stuffed) LOL

FreewayFortune
May 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I know they make you feel so guilty about going away and having a good time without them.

Abby Ruth
July 14th, 2007, 02:29 AM
As soon as my cat sees extra food and water put out for him and suitcases coming down the stairs, he tries to block the door. My cat sitter tells me the same thing when she tries to leave after a visit. I was told after our last trip that he only bit her once. I do not feel guilty!!

celbercrz333
July 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I wish I could say I had my cat that misses me whenever I go on vacation. She's in kitty heaven now. She was 14 1/2 and had an inoperable tumor. We didn't know it until it was too late. She is sorely missed.

Abby Ruth
July 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I wish I could say I had my cat that misses me whenever I go on vacation. She's in kitty heaven now. She was 14 1/2 and had an inoperable tumor. We didn't know it until it was too late. She is sorely missed.
Joanne,

Your kitty is HERE (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm) waiting for you.

spar23
July 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
We have a 150 pound Great Dane named Maddie and a long haired Chihuahua named Ginger. Ginger likes it when we leave because she goes to my mother's (who was her original owner) Maddie however, that poor baby she will cry, yes cry, and pout, stop eating, whatever it takes. She is such a drama queen. She is my baby though. She has only tried once to get in the suitcase and her hiney got stuck!:eek: We leave her at home with a sitter though because she just does not adjust well to change.

celbercrz333
July 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Abby, Thanks. Been to that site. It's been 3 months since Pepper was put to sleep. You think that your pets will live forever. You know they won't but you keep hoping it's years left in them. When we got Pepper (a farm cat) our first daughter was 10, second one was 6 1/2. Our first daughter turned 24 yesterday (7/15). Pepper was 14 1/2 and gave us loads of love, she was a pest at dinner time, and is sorely missed. Thanks Abby.

BlueStar Bill
August 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
I have really enjoyed this thread. Our 18 year old cat, Sylvester, is now at Rainbow Bridge. He never paid us a whole lot of attention when we were there, when we left, or when we came back. He was happy as long as somebody filled his food bowl on a regular basis.

Our Cockatiel, Tweety, also doesn't seem to mind if we leave.

Our year, old 4 pound Chihuahua, Yosemite Sam, seems to get excited right when we are leaving - he acts like he thinks he is going with us. If we take him to our daughter's and leave while they are there, he really whines. If we leave him there when nobody is home, he does much better. He really likes our daughter but he is glad to see us return. On our last trip he spent a lot of time with our daughter's cat. When we got home, he was rubbing up against us like he thinks he is a cat.

I take my laptop on trips so we have lots of pictures. Of course the spoiled rotten animals are just practice for our first gandchild in Feburary.

BlueStar Bill
August 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Sevral posting on this thread have mentioned losing their pets. Some have used the term Rainbow Bridge. I thought I would post the piece. I do not know who the author is.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an
animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes
to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special
friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals
who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special, someone that was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your very special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain on your face, your hands caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Abby Ruth
August 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Shannon and Jerry,

I'm trying to picture your Great Dane and Chihauhua together. The thought makes me smile.

Abby Ruth
August 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Bill,

Thanks for posting that. I've got a several pets waiting for me there. I intend to do a lot more cruising though before I join them.

Your Chihuahua (does everyone on this board have a Chihuahua except me?) sounds a little like our cat. He doesn't actually want to go with us because he hates the car, but he tries to block the door so that we don't go.

nopvntv
August 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I used to travel ALOT for my job and I have a German Shepherd/Husky mix that hates when I leave. As soon as the suitcase came out, she would head for the living room and camp out in my chair. She wouldn't look at me and if I sat down to pet her, she would leave the room. Daddy got the cold shoulder (or paw) on Sundays.

Here is my pouty puppy

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/5063/2490520370047350928S600x600Q85.jpg

August 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Our fur baby gets really mopey and sad about a week before we leave. i don't know how she knows. i hide all the suitcases and stuff in the guest room when i start to pack.

cruzdirector
September 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Gosh guys, I started this thread over 1 1/2 years ago. Never thought it would still be going strong now. It will be a year on Sept. 4 since our 25th anniversary cruise to Hawaii. Hope to get back into it soon as hubby had a bout of bad health and had to use all his vacation to get better.
We still have our 2 little dogs that pout when we go away.
I just read the Rainbow Bridge story with tears in my eyes. My one dog is 11 now and still going strong but as they age you know the time together gets shorter.
Hope everyone keeps reading this and having fun on vacation.

dobiemom
September 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
We have red Dobermans (just one at a time). Our first one is at the Rainbow Bridge (every time I read this I get teary-eyed). They are so sweet and get very spoiled. Both get/got excited whenever we start packing Ė they think theyíre going with us and sometimes they do. When we leave them at home and go by car (to go to the airport, or road trip) they are OK. But when we go CAMPING without them, thatís another story.

Both love camping and most of the time we take the dog but sometimes they canít go. We have a RV parked in our backyard. When we get ready to leave, I will have the dog in the house. My DH takes the RV out the easement to the end of our street. When I know heís there, I put the dog in the backyard and then leave out the front door, walking to the end of the street to meet my DH.

We have neighbors who watch/feed the dog. Sometime they go on play dates or even a sleepover while we are gone. But if they see the RV leaving, they whine and howl and itís really pitiful. Not to mention annoying to our neighbors.

voyagerfl
September 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Well.......we just had to say good-bye to my best friend of the past 18 years.
DUNCAN
What a wonderful dog........saw me though a lot.
When we would get home.....he would give us the cold shoulder......
We would always bring him home a present. So he finally got to the point, when we got home he would great us then go start sniffing and pawing the luggage trying to find the one with his toy......we usually had it ready in a carry on with the zipper part way open...for him to find.....LoL:)

http://lifevoyager.net/images/Duncan%201.jpg

vicsjoy
September 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
We have a pure bred Chow Chow. Now any one who knows anything about chow chow's knows how territorrial they are. We got him at 8 weeks old and he is now about ten years old. He acts so tough and yet he really is a big wimp.:mad: A week or so before the cruise I won't even need to get the suite case out and he will give me the cold shoulder and stick to DH like glue giving me a look like you can go but you are leaving him here. Then when I get out DH's clothes Harley (The chow) will give me head but, in the rear every day before we leave. Once I begin to pack up the van he will sit and watch while giving small wimpers, he will not leave the yard and infact he will shake violently if you attempt to get him to leave. As we drive off You can hear the whine about two blocks away, and it sounds so pathetic.:eek: We usually have a house sitter when gone for a week. They will say no matter what he will not come in the house and just lays in the front yard curled up by his tree, and where he can see everything. Once we arrive back home he will meet DH at the fence and whine with excitment that we are home. But of coarse because I am the mean one it is all my fault, he won't let me near DH, for several days. Then he is ok again but he seems to watch me reasl close for when I am ready to get the suit case out again.

Madkitty
September 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM
look whatI have to put up with all the time :D and thats when theyre not trying to get inside and nuzle in my clothes grrrrrrrr

Jeanie821
September 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Well.......we just had to say good-bye to my best friend of the past 18 years.
DUNCAN
What a wonderful dog........saw me though a lot.
When we would get home.....he would give us the cold shoulder......
We would always bring him home a present. So he finally got to the point, when we got home he would great us then go start sniffing and pawing the luggage trying to find the one with his toy......we usually had it ready in a carry on with the zipper part way open...for him to find.....LoL:)

http://lifevoyager.net/images/Duncan%201.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about Duncan. It may hurt right now, but you know that he's waiting on the other side of Rainbow Bridge for you.

sierrapup
October 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I have an 8 year old cattle dog mix who knows all too well what the suitcases mean. Everytime we get ready for a trip, she starts coughing (we've learned the difference between her "real" cough and her "fake" cough). We normally pack last minute, the night before we leave. She'll lay on the bed, looking absolutely pitiful, and "coughing". That night she will sleep directly on top of me to keep from from sneaking out during the night. Then when time comes to go to the kennel, she howls the whole car ride there! It's the same routine...everytime...for almost 9 years....:)

IslandDreamers
October 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Oh these saaaad animals of ours, huh??
We bought another suitcase the other day, when we brought it in the house, dear Mika tip toed to the door and just laid there looking at us like..."Why are you leaving? What did I ever do to you?!"

jimdicap
October 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM
No joke---my cat, when we put the luggage out, will pee on it to try to get us to stay!

vanillagurl
October 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Sevral posting on this thread have mentioned losing their pets. Some have used the term Rainbow Bridge. I thought I would post the piece. I do not know who the author is.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an
animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes
to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special
friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals
who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special, someone that was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your very special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain on your face, your hands caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

I think this is the first time my eyes welled up with tears over reading something on the internet, lol very sweet

Nanny5
October 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I have four dogs, 2 yorkies, 1 llapsa and 1 old (almost 11) Pomeranian who is my protector, Buddha. When the suitcases come out, Buddha gets in. He loves to sleep in the suitcase, whether it is packed or not. I remember the first day we brought him home, a little furry bundle. He would get in his food dish when empty and go to sleep. I am soon going to be gone for 12 days w/o my hubby. He will be babysitting, but sure hope all 4 dogs are alive when I come back. Never been gone this long w/o any of them, including hubby!

To the lady who just lost her pet of 18 years>>>SORROW FADES, LOVE NEVER DOES!

jimdicap
October 31st, 2007, 05:43 PM
I think this is the first time my eyes welled up with tears over reading something on the internet, lol very sweet

That was great! I love both of my cats, and this was perfect. Have you ever seen "An animals prayer"? Our vet has it posted, and it will make you cry!

dobiemom
November 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
That was great! I love both of my cats, and this was perfect. Have you ever seen "An animals prayer"? Our vet has it posted, and it will make you cry!

No, can you post it here?

sunsurf
November 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
BlueStar Bill,

Thanks for sharing that piece on Rainbow Bridge. It brought some serious tears to my eyes!:(

Thought I would share something to lift everyones spirits. Some of you may have read this on another post of mine...but for those that haven't, sit back, read and enjoy. You will definately get a kick out of this one! :D It's by Author Unknown and is appropriately titled...

Letter to Pets

Dear Dogs and Cats,
When I say to move, it means to go someplace else, not to switch positions with each other so there are still two of you in the way.
The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.
For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered.
Also, I have been using the bathroom for years--canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.
The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!
To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front door:
Rules for Non-Pet Owners Who Visit and Like to Complain About Our Pets:
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. (That's why they call it "fur"niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.
Dogs and cats are better than kids .. they eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about having to buy the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, and don't need a gazillion dollars for college - and if they get pregnant, you can sell the children.

jimdicap
November 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM
No, can you post it here?

I don't have it, my vet does...I tried to find it online, and couldn't find it exactly, but there is a lot of similar ones:mad:

rplc882
November 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Just came in yesterday from the Massdam after being gone to find our cat of 10yrs sick. Ran to the emergency vet and the diagnosis was a stress outbreak, this was the first time we had left our cat for mor than 6 days, reckon the 12 days was too long. Bottom line Nico is doing better today, seems amazing. Was our first cruise and we are planning on another so Nico better get over it.

voyagerfl
November 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM
BlueStar Bill,

Thanks for sharing that piece on Rainbow Bridge. It brought some serious tears to my eyes!:(

Thought I would share something to lift everyones spirits. Some of you may have read this on another post of mine...but for those that haven't, sit back, read and enjoy. You will definately get a kick out of this one! :D It's by Author Unknown and is appropriately titled...

Letter to Pets

Dear Dogs and Cats,
When I say to move, it means to go someplace else, not to switch positions with each other so there are still two of you in the way.
The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.
For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered.
Also, I have been using the bathroom for years--canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.
The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!
To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front door:
Rules for Non-Pet Owners Who Visit and Like to Complain About Our Pets:
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. (That's why they call it "fur"niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.
Dogs and cats are better than kids .. they eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about having to buy the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, and don't need a gazillion dollars for college - and if they get pregnant, you can sell the children.

But sometimes don't you with you had Health Insurance for them....! :)

gointothechapel
November 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM
My 8 yr old jack russel girl is at this moment pouting in my lap...got the suitcases out today to check on their state and clean them up for our departure 12/8. My other two ( all females, 16 week old JRT and a 3 yr old boston) don't have a clue what the suitcases mean, but the older one is sometimes too smart for her own good!

momofmeg
November 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Our cats know when they see the suitcases we are leaving, they start circling us and will hardly let us out of their sight, they don't really pout but act almost fearful that they will never see us again.

When our daugher stays home and does't go with us, she says they continue to act that way toward her until we return.

Nanny5
November 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I think my 4 dogs (2 yorkies, 1 llasa and 1 pom) knew I was up to something the day I booked this cruise back in October. They have been really weird with wanting on my lap, who sleeps right up against me, etc. My hubby, bless his heart, is staying home for the two weeks with them so I am not concerned. They are one of the reasons I have to get away by myself (no to mention 2 grandkids I babysit) to "refresh" myself. If they pout, that's okay. I have never been away from them for this long. The longest was one week and they survived. It will be strange, though, eating in the dining room and not having 8 eyes looking at me. Sometimes, I wish I had all cats. They are easier to leave behind.

gehrandt
December 31st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Our Bengal cat, George, starts sleeping either in or on the suitcase until we leave. When we get home he immediately runs to the suitcase - waits for you to open it - and then starts searching for his "present". Once he has it he'll play with it for a few minutes and then comes and "kisses" us. Then he perches on one of us for the next few days.

He looks like a minature leopard - weighs about 18 pounds - has to have a pet sitter as he can't have normal cat shots (his grandmother was an Asian Leopard cat) as he reacted terribly to them. We almost lost him when the Vet first gave them to him. So, of course, he can't go to a boarding kennel - and would hate it anyway - no private couch - counter top, etc.

After spending a lot of time first couple of trips looking for cat toys I now sneak them into the suitcase before we leave.

WISH84
April 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
My two year old Golden Retriever knows as soon as the luggage hits the kitchen floor from coming out of the garage. She pouts the entire time we are packing.

It just about kills me!!

jerikw
April 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I had two mini poodles until last year. They were almost 19, brothers, (they died 2 weeks apart :() who were so spoiled that I had to hide the suitcases from them, too! The best part was when I returned, while Cocoa was thrilled to see me, Bear would sit next to me and totally give me a verbal reprimand.... he had the cutest little whine/growl that went on for about 15 minutes (accompanied by the "butt wiggle") before he would finally settle down and give me kisses! I was absolutely sure he was chewing me out... how DARE I go away!!!:p
While I miss them terribly, I did always only go for short trips so they wouldn't be alone too long, especially as they got older. So now I'm taking advantage of the freedom to travel more and longer!
My DH got his wish and we now have what he calls a "real dog" (a black Lab) who must go to "doggie prison".... we'll see how she does ... I want to do a 2 week Europe cruise!!! Guess trhe kids will have to stay home with the new dog!!!! ;)

BroncosFan2010
April 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yes! My cats go nuts when the suitcases come out. They will snub me for a few days, then be super snuggly and beg for attention. As we get closer to vacation, they will crawl in the suitcases and refuse to move! It is as if they know we will be leaving them and they want to go with us!

ekermit
April 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
When we went to Hawaii our Lab/Border Collie mix Cady could have cared less. Our German Shepherd/Collie mix Roscoe was a different story. While Cady tried to help us pack, Roscoe tried to be packed! My sister and her kids (who they love) stayed with them while we were gone but we were in trouble when we got back. Again, Cady could have cared less. Roscoe wouldn't look at us, wouldn't take his cookies and would sit just out of our reach.....for 3 weeks! That was the longest and hardest 3 weeks ever.

barefoot cruiser
April 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Pout!?! Don't I wish mine would just pout. How about a 17, yes 17, year old maine coon cat. About 4 years ago, I decide she needed a little more attention than the once a day cat feeder. Off she goes to a couple friend, where she proceeded to attack them daily (except of course at feeding times). She also would hide behind the sofa and growl. Only later did I find she also purposefully "missed" the litter box. Yep only and last time she spent time away from the house. So 2 years ago, night before vacation I spent in the emergency Vet ER and had to call a friend (very good friend) to come over at 2 in the morning to learn how to give my cat meds for the next 4 days 3 times a day. Next vacation....she waited until midnight the night before vacation...off to the emergency ER again <sigh> even later call to friend. I now have a full time trained cat sitter friend who visits her 3 times a day. Oh did I mention she cries every hour the first night I come home, until I wake up and call to her and tell her to come...she then comes nuzzles my hand and leaves....for another 55 minutes:(. She will also come up and pet my face withh her paw at 3 AM.
BTW I leave in 24 days...Imy cat sitter is now to the point of staying at my house.
Oh did I mention, I nowhave to pack in the closet so she doesn't freak out!! sigh...and people wonder why I need a vacation.:D

Kailyn
May 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
My old cat was a pouter! I laid my suitcase out a few days before, started packing, and she jumped in it. She refused to leave my suitcase whenever I was nearby!

My dog, a little Pomeranian, doesn't mind when I leave for long trips. She gets to go to my mom's house and play with her dog. Always glad to see me but doesn't pout until she's tired of running around all day!

umpalumpa14588
May 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Although I cruise without my husband, my cocker spaniel Molly always gives me the cold shoulder when I return from a cruise or vacation. Our Brit Copper will meet me at the door, followed by Molly, but then when I reach down to pet her, she too runs just out of my reach. She'll hop up on the couch or chair, and turn her back to me when I try to speak to her! Her next move is to look at me, but stick out her tongue whenever I try to talk to her... Just a poutin' girl... just like a baby!

mistyinca
May 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Although I cruise without my husband, my cocker spaniel Molly always gives me the cold shoulder when I return from a cruise or vacation. Our Brit Copper will meet me at the door, followed by Molly, but then when I reach down to pet her, she too runs just out of my reach. She'll hop up on the couch or chair, and turn her back to me when I try to speak to her! Her next move is to look at me, but stick out her tongue whenever I try to talk to her... Just a poutin' girl... just like a baby!

OMG, my yorkie did this to me after my first cruise. I swear she HATED me when I got back. She would not come to me or sit on my lap. She ran off to her crate and looked at me like, "you suck". :rolleyes:

adnil530
May 24th, 2009, 11:42 PM
What a fun thread to read. We have pure breed Border Collie. He is a worry wart. Always fussing by the back gate, waiting for all his charges (us) to be in for the day. I think he knows when the suitcases come out, but we tend to have them out weeks ahead of time and he gets used to seeing them out...kinda follows that they are out for a bit of time after we come back also, but that's another story:rolleyes:.

The realization of a pending vacation at the pet hotel sets in when we get the leash out and he literally pees himself (obviously, he loves walks). Then we drive to the pet hotel and he sees where he is at. Now he doesn't want to get out of the car! We have to drag him in. Breaks my heart every time. He forgives us very quickly as when we pick him up...he'a dragging us to the car.;)

ncovert
May 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM

My mother in-law's dog does pout. She also actually grows. My mother in-law says it is her dogs way of saying you had better not leave me again.

It is interesting because of that fact she stays with her dog a whole lot of the time and will actually use the dog as the reason of why she cannot go to lunch. It is amazing we convinced her to go on our Alaskan Cruise this Sunday. Hooray for up coming cruises.

Starrgazer50
May 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
My mother in-law's dog does pout. She also actually grows. My mother in-law says it is her dogs way of saying you had better not leave me again.

It is interesting because of that fact she stays with her dog a whole lot of the time and will actually use the dog as the reason of why she cannot go to lunch. It is amazing we convinced her to go on our Alaskan Cruise this Sunday. Hooray for up coming cruises.

I'm leaving in a week to Canada and every time while packing my suitcase my cat Puma gets in the suitcase and lays down on my clothes and gives me a couple of meows. I wish I could take him with me:(, I miss him a lot when I'm away. I have a very caring neighbor who pet sits for me. He's happy to see me when I come home and I anticipate seeing him as well.
Hmmm...the pet lovers heart.:)

cruzdirector
June 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I started this thread 3 1/2 years ago because my little guy pouted every time we went away. Today he left us. He was the best little pet I have ever had. I will truly miss him.

Abby Ruth
June 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I started this thread 3 1/2 years ago because my little guy pouted every time we went away. Today he left us. He was the best little pet I have ever had. I will truly miss him.

I'm sorry to hear about your little friend. It's so hard to lose a pet.

This thread is hereby dedicated to him. I'm sure everyone else who participated will agree.

cruzdirector
June 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thank you very much for your thoughts. My hubby brought him home for me for our 15th anniversary. We will celebrate 28 in Sept. He was my best buddy and was always by my side. This has been a tough day.

waiting4acruise
June 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I am sorry he is gone.
We all truly love our pets.

anarresa
June 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM

I'm so sorry. I found this thread today and was enjoying it. I was just going to post my dog is actually happy when we leave because my uncle comes to stay and spoils him rotten. He's my new dog, we lost my first dog of 13 years and it was devastating. I hope the grief passes as quickly and easily as possible.

JBDigitalphoto
June 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.
I agree 100% this thread shout be in your dogs memory

cruisee<3
June 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
i love this thread!! it's so cute!!

my daughter pomeranian HATES when i start packing.. at first when i pack she follows me EVERYWHERE .. doesn't let me out of her sight .. but whenever I grab my purse and keys .. she knows im leaving .. n she just lies in her bed and stares w her head resting on her paws n just looks up at me with those CUTEEEE eyes .. n she completely ignores me when i call her .. she's quite the brat :)

adnil530
June 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM

You have my deepest sympathy. It is something every pet family unfortunately goes through. But through the tears remember how much fun and happiness there was for all those wonderful years.

Linda

cruisee<3
June 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM

i am so sorrry to hear that .. i know it must be super difficult for you right now :( hope u feel better!!

Ella's grandma
June 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Cruzdirector,

Don't know if you've read it before but I hope the following poem helps, it's called Rainbow Bridge, you will cry as I always do when I read it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
That pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, so our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour,
Those hurt or maimed are made whole and strong,
Just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.
They are happy and content, except for one small thing…..
They each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
And looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver.
Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass,
His legs going faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
You cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head
And you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life,
But never absent from your heart.

Then, you cross the Bridge …..together.

cruzdirector
June 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I sure do thank all of you for your thoughts. It is getting a little better each day.
Ella's Grandma, I have read that poem several times in the past few days and I do cry each time. I had my DH read it too. He was also very attached to the dog.
Thanks again.

momofmeg
June 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I sure do thank all of you for your thoughts. It is getting a little better each day.
Ella's Grandma, I have read that poem several times in the past few days and I do cry each time. I had my DH read it too. He was also very attached to the dog.
Thanks again.

I am so sorry about your dog. I have a cat that is 14 and another who turns 10 tomorrow. I know before long I could lose one of them, and I love them every bit as much as I love my daughter.

Caribbean Sunsets
June 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have three dogs, and they are my four legged children. They are such an important part of the family--very loved and treasured.

MiamiSpartan
January 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I actually start to lay clothes out about 2-3 weeks prior...I add and subtract from the pile through out the period....
As soon as the luggage comes out, our cat gets REALLY grumpy....One time I even caught her sleeping in the open luggage!
When we get back from a trip, she balls me out for about an hour, which is pretty funny, because she is usually a very quiet animal....

jadesmom78
May 14th, 2010, 01:07 AM
We haven't taken our cruise yet but last week we packed to go and see my mom...our older animals (2 dogs and a cat) pretty much ignored it but our new puppy (around 6 months old) get packing her toy orange monkey...we threw it for her to chase and each time (3 times) she, instead of bringing it to us to throw again, she put it back into the suitcase...:):eek:

SeaTeach
June 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM
As soon as the luggage comes out:
Yorkie--becomes excited because she thinks that she's going.
Maltese--goes into hiding because she thinks that she's going.
Cat--sleeps in it because it reminds him of a box.

When we return:
Yorkie--pees all over the place out of excitement.
Maltese--acts as if she has never laid eyes on us and hides for a day or two.
Cat--too unpredictable to gauge behavior, sometimes he's purrs and rubs against us for awhile, and at other times he ignores us.

You gotta love em!!

hermhogwarts55
July 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
We just got our puppy, Jake, in April up in Fresno, CA while we were shooting a film. At first he didn't really like us since we were taking him away from his birth mother and siblings but now he follows us EVERYWHERE! Daddy more than mommy though. Everyday when daddy has to go to work Jake would be sooo riled up that he would literally jump from the bed (which is VERY tall for him, he's a Corillion [Corgi/Papillion] and is still very small for 6 months) and onto daddy's feet as he walks around the bed.... sometimes I have to hold him down as daddy exits and when the door is tightly shut I let him go- and he just sits by the door whining for a good 10 mins, then he'll jump up on the bed and situate himself on daddy's pillows.... I can't even think of what he's going to do when we start school again in 2 weeks as we'll have to leave him for more than our normal 2 hours (how long we're usually away from him at one time together- he gets angry at us and chews things up) and then the cruise! A week.... and this time grandma and grandpa (my mom and dad) will be with us and grandpapa (DBF's grandpa- so Jake's great grandpa) will be on a vacay to Iowa.... so we might have to leave him with my brother and his wife, but he'd have to be in a cage most of the time (they have a mini poodle and she's always crated)it makes me sad because he's usually free of most cages unless we have to leave him at my parents house or when we're in one room together we usually close the door so he can't go make messes... I have a feeling when I pull out the suitcase and pack, he'll get really upset.... I'm gonna bring lots of pics of him on our cruise so that we have him with us in spirit at least!

MadameButterfly
August 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
My two wonderful doggies Dakota and Jasmine do get a little curious with all the packing and cleaning and such, but the day before we leave, they're off to camp. I remember going out for some last minute shopping one time and returning home to Dakota our 80 pound lab mix laying amongst piles of clothes waiting to be packed. Jasmine our 80 pound hound mix is my little black and tan shadow, so she's not really much more clingy than normal. They do have a routine when they get ready for their vacation away from us. When we're only a few miles away from the kennel, they get restless in the back of the car. Upon arrival, they jump out, run to the door and whine to go in. They're warmly greeted by staff who hug and kiss them like their own and off they go without looking back. As a doggie parent, I'm a little sad to see them go, but I know they're happy. It's just as much a vacation for them as it is for us.

travelgenie
August 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Our Italian Greyhound starts pouting the minute he sees the suitcases come out. If I don't keep the door closed to the bedroom or the suitcase closed while packing, as soon as I turn my back, he digs all the clothes out in a pile. When we get home, after many kisses, he leaves us "surprises" throughout the house for about a week.

Host Faith
March 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Absolutely...this is the face our dog Dewey gives us when we start packing...we get the same look when we leave him with family members heading out the door:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/166465_1848257167480_1272233709_2200059_3122995_n. jpg

bellybutton530
May 25th, 2011, 10:42 AM
When my 2 cats see the suitcases, the begin to pout. I have to catch them when it is time for them to go to boarding.

When I return home they are mad at me UNTIL I feed them.

Then it is back to normal until the next time....

Sunebeach
May 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Our Huskie stands in the drive like 'seriously...you're leaving...again?" then takes his rightful place on the front porch and pouts...When we arrive back home we hear how he tries to get into the UPS man's truck and go for rides...:rolleyes:

Janet Foster
May 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Our two Chihuahua's; "Lucy and Ethel" know when we are going somewhere. So for this reason I put our suitcases in our guest bedroom and then keep the door closed so they can't get in there. I also pack without them seeing me. I have been "staging" my cruise items for the last week getting prepared... (they don't have a clue...) My daughter will stay at our house and spoil them.. so not feeling too bad...

UlvaZell
June 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM

Our dog almost completely ignores us when we return. After a period of time we are "forgiven" and she warms back up to us...

book & a deck chair
July 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Our Doxie, Pepper, doen't like suitcases either! She'll usually hide under our bed (though for our last trip she did try to stow away in one g the bags! She stays home with my son - who pouts as much as my dog! When we get home Pepper has to be greeted outside (little bladder & little control when excited) then she runs to her dish and eats! Our son is very happy to see us as wel...but he has much better control ( I think he just likes my cooking better than his own!)

Thanks everyone - I loved reading about how all your "Fildren" act & I don't feel alone anymore.....

Deb in Cali
July 25th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Miss Ginger will have one of "her boys" to care for her while we are gone. Usually it is our son, but this time it is one of his friends. She doesn't care if we are gone as long as her needs are being met.

How'sBartCruisin'?
August 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have a 4 year old basset hound named Rougeau, and he really loves me/people in general. He's the kind of dog that when I sit on the couch, he has to sit on me or right next to me, touching my leg with his body. If he is sleeping next to me and I move an inch, he wakes up, moves an in closer and falls back to sleep. When he is caged or leashed if I have to leave, no matter how long the time is, 5 minutes or 5 hours, he cries and whines from the second his is put away to until I am gone and he mopes himself to sleep. When he hears the car pull up, he begins barking and whining again. ...enough set-up...

My wife and I returned from our 9 day honeymoon cruise on Saturday. Her brother stayed over and watched the dogs. When I entered the house, I didn't hear him whine or bark. I went into the room where he was leashed. He was sitting their staring at me, with his ears back and a stunned and sad look on his face as if to say, "where the heck have you been? I thought you were never coming back and I missed you." I ran over him and gave him a big hug and he was okay again: jumping around, hugging and kissing me.

Bart

arenafan
October 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
My cat throws up vomit and gets mad at us.

November 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Now that our furbaby is getting older, I think I miss her more than she misses us. When we drop her at the kennel/vet, she runs right in and jumps on the scale to see how much she weighs then she takes off with the kennel tech and seems very happy.
If I can't call to check on her, I make my daughter to be sure our "little girl" is alright, every day.

TheAdvanis
November 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I loved reading all of these posts. I am so glad to see that we are not the only ones in this predicament. We have 2 Maltese we call our puppies even though they aren't puppies anymore. Brinkley (over 14 lbs) is almost 3 years and has such a soft heart. Bella is our little baby. She is just 2 years and weighs in at just 7 lbs.

My husband works at home most of the time so they get to be with him everyday and be spoiled by him. They get to cuddle and take power naps with him. When he does have to travel, Brinkley figures it out even before the suitcase comes out. I swear he understands what we say! He gets all mopey. DH tries to wait as long as possible to get the suitcase out but it really doesn't matter...Brinkley has it figured out. They sleep with us so at night Brinkley cuddles up to DH side of the bed.

When we travel, they usually stay at my sister's house. They love going to Aunt Debbie's but they also know that means mommy and daddy are leaving them. We have tried kenneling them just in case my sister couldn't be there but we didn't like putting them in those cages and they never get the attention there like they do at home.

When we get home, they are so excited to see us. Little Bella piddles all over when she gets excited but that happens every day when I get home from work too. When I leave for work in the mornings, I tell them both good bye. Brinkley will not give me kisses but does when I get home. Bella loves to kiss whether I am leaving or coming home.

I have had various breeds of dogs since I was a little kid but I would have to say that these 2 Maltese are my favorite. The personalities are so different from any others.

Sqwii
November 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have two pugs, Micky(Miguelina) and Rhett, but they have totally different attitudes. Rhett gets anxious until he realizes that someone is staying home with him(my sister) then he is okay with it. Micky on the other hand gets angry when she sees the suitcases. She Glares at you and tries to escape the house as your trying to leave. She tugs on the cuff of your pants to try to pull you back inside the house and then squeezes through the space between you and the door. It's like she thinks that if she can just make it to the car she will be able to go along! When we come back home they both get really excited, Rhett "talks"(wines, howls, and barks) as if he is telling you everything that happened while you were away. While Micky jumps up and tries to nip and lick your face!

Pennyscandy
February 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
We were doing a British Isles cruise and were going to the ship after saying in London pre-cruise for 3 days. Well the kennel called and we had a bad connection and couldn't hear her. Later that night on the ship our son called and one of our dogs was very sick. Turned out to be separation anxiety. Happened 2 other times. He does fine for a few days then misses us. He gets anxious when he sees the suitcases. We have a new 4 month old puppy to keep him company and hopefully he won't have any problems when we cruise in April. Our son is on standby to get him from the kennel, other wise I could not enjoy myself.

wrigley80
February 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Our black lab, Wrigley, goes into hiding like my bedroom and she will put her head under the pillow when we start packing. :o
Our shih tzu, Boo-Boo, doesn't really care what happens as long as she gets a treat. :)

Sinppu
April 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
My DM had a cat who was a real character. When DM went on holiday and left the cat with me, it ran to the door EVERY time it heard a noise for the first three days. Then it gave up.
When DM came to pick it up after a week, the cat meowed and purred and rubbed her legs (it never did that otherwise).
When DM took the cat back home he remembered that he had been left alone, started pouting, ignored DM completely and instead of using the litter box, used the floor right next to it :D

I thought it was hilarious!