Been there; done that?

ramidon1

We have been to GC 2 times; I feel like we have seen it all; is there something we are missing? Been to Stingrays, Hell, Turtle farm, shopping, 7-mile beach and my hubby & son have been scuba diving. We will be there again in 2 weeks; is there something we can do that would add a new dimension to GC? Our last visit there (last March) was miserable as there were SO many ships in port, you could not move in town. All the good excursions were filled to the brim and the ship we were on (Carnival Valor) had to tender (does everyone?). The line to get a tender back to the ship was over an hour long in the hot sun. The island itself was quite hurricane-damaged at the time and just not that attractive. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated; husband & son will likely dive again so probably just myself & my pre-teen daughter...thanks.

I was there for two weeks when I was 17. I was bored by day three so I got my PADI certification. If you don't dive then yes, you have seen it all. All ships tender in GC.

The diving is the best thing about it. Truly it's spectacular. Other than that I am out of suggestions for you. Unless you want to go with a smaller group to Stingray City and then snorkle? Nativeway and Captain Marvin get great reviews.

I have been 4 times and always found something new to do. The first time I did the stingrays, the second time the racing yacht excursion (was damaged in the last hurricane). The third time we did the aqua boats and snorkle and had a really great time. Only 8 couples can go so it is not crowded. You get to drive the boats and then snorkle. The last time we did the jeep excursion that goes to Rum Point. It was very nice to see a lot of the island and Rum Point was beautiful and the food was great.

Thanks! Rum Point sounds interesting. What do you think about renting a car/jeep and driving to Rum Point. Would it be possible for my husband to find a dive shop/boat so he could scuba while I relax on beach? Is there one close to Rum Point?

I'll say it again

take a little walk to the south

a little snorkeling or a beach dive

far enuf from town to not have a crowd

followed by a libation and some fritters

sunsethouse.com

We are just back from Grand Cayman this past Sunday. This was my third trip here and I know what you mean about been there done that! This time we took a 20 minute helicopter tour over stingray city, seven mile beach, and on our way back to the airport we saw our ship "Mariner of the Seas" and five others as they sat waiting for us all to return. This was really an awesome tour, lots of fun and some excitment. You can book this with RCCL or directly with the helicopter company online. This is their place

As for the price, RCCL was $139 and directly with the company it was $85. Same tour. I would suggest that you plan for something else to do as well. You know maybe shop or have lunch. When we were there there were six ships in town. The crowds seem to run in phases. We waited until those that get off the ship to do a tour had enough time to get where they were going. That gave us a little bit of room on the sidewalks!

Darlene

We have been to GC 2 times; I feel like we have seen it all; is there something we are missing? Been to Stingrays, Hell, Turtle farm, shopping, 7-mile beach and my hubby & son have been scuba diving. We will be there again in 2 weeks; is there something we can do that would add a new dimension to GC? Our last visit there (last March) was miserable as there were SO many ships in port, you could not move in town. All the good excursions were filled to the brim and the ship we were on (Carnival Valor) had to tender (does everyone?). The line to get a tender back to the ship was over an hour long in the hot sun. The island itself was quite hurricane-damaged at the time and just not that attractive. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated; husband & son will likely dive again so probably just myself & my pre-teen daughter...thanks.

We have decided to stay on the ship......with 7 ships in port it's going to be crowded and congested...so we decided this is a perfect day to stay on the ship...relax by the pool and perhaps take advantage of some of the Spa specials offered on port days. We have been in port at GC when there were 4 ships in and it was crowded then...with 7 ships....it's going to be madness!

we will be in GC for our 5th visit this May and we too were undecided as to what to do...we opted for those aqua boats someone mentioned. Something out of the norm and since it will just be DH and I on boats and only a few other couples at snorkeling area. Sounds different so we booked this! :)

Archived