new england/canada port change

musicmansmom

i checked my cruise on the carnival site and see they have taken away sydney, nova scotia and we are stopping at st.johns instead. i am not complaining since i have never been to either port am im very excited about going on this cruise, but do they usually do this for the new england cruises? i will be on the victory leaving on sept 9.

i have not booked any tours yet, so any info on st.john will be helpful for me. thanks alot.

Music, we stopped at St. John's and we took the tour to St. Andrews. What a great site that is; a new england fishing village, beautiful old homes and a nice ride there. This is just a suggestion.

marilyn

There are 2 locations with similiar names somewhat close to each otherand some travel websites confuse them.

There is:

Saint John, New Brunswick

and

St John's, Newfoundland

Let us know which one you are going to. NE/Canada cruises go to both.

we are going to st.john new brunswick. it sounds like a great place to visit.

marilyn, we meet again. thanks for letting me know about it. it will be fun to visit there. since we are not booking any tours ahead of time we can do as we choose when we get there. it will be a great cruise.

I think you will enjoy it also! Just an FYI - in Saint John, NB - they do not abbreviate it as St. John to distinguish between the city in Newfoundland. The spelling is one way of keeping the towns seperated.

Have a great cruise.

There are 2 locations with similiar names somewhat close to each otherand some travel websites confuse them.

There is:

Saint John, New Brunswick

and

St John's, Newfoundland

Let us know which one you are going to. NE/Canada cruises go to both.

coral

it is saint john, nb. it is going to make for a great cruise :) . i wonder why they took away sydney though. has anyone heard of a problem there or is this kind of a normal thing for carnival to do? im glad i had not booked any tours in the ports. now i have some new research to do for saint john's.:D

Your cruiseship will dock minutes away from downtown. Things to see:

Saint John City Market

Harbour Passage (cranberry red walking trail along the waterfront)

Reversing Falls (if the tides are right)

And just take the time to walk around and see the fantastic architecture. We're the oldest incorporated city in Canada.

I could recommend a few restaurants if you tell me what you're looking for...seafood perhaps??

Kathy

thanks fundygirl

your city sounds great and the tips are a great help. as far as eating :D im sure it will be seafood or a good ole burger and fries. any '' mom and pops '' style places there to grab a bite and have a nice cold drink? can you tell me also, we will be there on sept 13. the weather cant be predicted but in general what is it like the middle of sept. pants and light sweater weather or warmer? thanks for any help.

We had rather warm but foggy weather when we stopped there this last September. We rented a car from avis (walking distance from the ship), and drove to the reversing falls, and then to the Irving nature park, where we could hike along the beach and watch the tide change (impressive). We had planned to drive to St Andrews, but the fog was so dense that we decided to stay closer to port, and we ended up having a great day. We did find a wonderful seafood restaurant for lunch, but I can't remember the name...it was not far from where we picked up the car.

thanks fundygirl

your city sounds great and the tips are a great help. as far as eating :D im sure it will be seafood or a good ole burger and fries. any '' mom and pops '' style places there to grab a bite and have a nice cold drink? can you tell me also, we will be there on sept 13. the weather cant be predicted but in general what is it like the middle of sept. pants and light sweater weather or warmer? thanks for any help.

The City Market is a great place to eat...you'll find a good variety there. I would come prepared for cooler weather...but quite often September can be very warm. You never know...we get a lot of early morning fog. As you get off the ship, there will be tents set up with different vendors. You'll find better prices up the street. There's a great souvenir shop..just look for the talking moose! You will find that you are warmly welcomed to Saint John. Enjoy your day here.

Kathy

Boy, I'm glad I read these boards! We are on the same cruise, at the end of Sept. I am with you, I've never been to any of these places/ports, but I wonder why they didn't notify us? Now I will have to focus on St. John, NB.. I hope they don't change anything else!! Do you know what cabin you are in??

I can tell you that the people of Saint John definitely know how to greet a ship. Every female disembarking our ship was given a gorgeous red rose. There was also musical entertainment at the port and plenty of locals providing information on the port. This was the best welcome I have ever seen from a port to the passengers of a cruise ship.

thanks guys for the great tips for this stop. and the red roses sound lovely. i cant wait for the next 6 1/2 months to go by and im on the ship.

and i will look for the talking moose to get a good place to eat and shop. what a great way to attract the visitors.:)

• 1 month later...

Saint John was my favorite port on our Canada/NE cruise in 2004. And we did go to Sydney! Had to tender there as the HAL ship beat us there by minutes and there is only room for one ship.

We took a city tour in Saint John and when the bus took us back to the ship I went back into downtown. There are free buses that go from the pier into downtown. But I walked back and it was very pleasant. The City Market is really fun. Look for the moose from the Moosehead Brewery walking around by the pier!

The moose in not from the brewery....he actually owns a gift shop near the cruiseship terminal. Distant Waters is the name....they sell a lot of fleece (which you may need by the way) and other souvenirs...best prices in town!

Hi Guys and Girls, have found out why the carnival line wil not be stoping in sydney it has to so the price of fuel for the ship it seems that st. john is closer than sydney and the company has to save some money on the cruises it offers,:( so there you have it it all comes down to the almighty buck I hope this helps bye for now.:)

• 3 weeks later...
In all honesty there really isn't all that much to Sydney NS. But Halifax is a great port of call....love it!!!

I thought Halifax was somewhat ordinary - but loved Sydney. We did a tour of the town in the morning, and then over to the Bell museum in Cape Breton. Would go back like a shot!

i have traveled all over the u.s. but this will be my first time going to the east coast. i cant wait to get there. i am not making any tours yet. i want to check out alot of options untill it is almost time to go before i decide what i want to do in each port. i might get the best tour by just wandering around and seeing a tour co. by chance ;) . when i cruise i am there to relax and not get overwhelmed with plans set in stone. it makes for a better vactation for me. september cant get here too soon to get on the ship though :D .

a wandering moose :D . too funny. i am going to try different beers from the brewerys . i cant wait to taste them and stop for a nice cold one inbetween shopping ;) .

You are coming to the right place for this. Just a few blocks inland from the cruise ship dock is the Shipyard Brewery, our largest microbrew. It's a factory as the beer is sold all over the place. I understand it is now distributed in California. In the old port is Gritty McDuffs, a real brew pub. They also bottle and sell their beer everywhere. There's more than half a dozen microbrews in Portland alone.

Archived