PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to the Food??

Scooters
June 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Here's one that I haven't seen posted.

What happens to the extra food?

Obviously, they can estimate, but you never know how many will want prime rib and how many will want the fish dinner in the dining room. There has to be a fair amount of extra stuff each night.

Does the rest of the food go to the crew, or how is it handled?

Generally, what type of food is served to the crew??

Everyone worked very hard for us on our trip. I hope their food is better than their pay!!!

phroggie
June 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Obviously, they can estimate, but you never know how many will want prime rib and how many will want the fish dinner in the dining room. There has to be a fair amount of extra stuff each night.

Everyone worked very hard for us on our trip. I hope their food is better than their pay!!!

That came up in the Q&A session yesterday on Carnival Pride.

In general, yes, it gets served to the crew. It's not nicely served like they do for the pax, but rather buffet style. It's also supplemented with some "native" dishes that are more to the crew's taste. One example sited was the breaded and deep fried smelt that's favored by the Philippinos.

missyal
June 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I saw the london broil from dinner one night show up as pot roast on the buffet the next day.:eek:

Missyal

caribbean dreams
June 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
My friends son works on NCL and he says part of it will be used in the buffet and the rest is what the staff eats the next day.

jenjens1023
June 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
The inedible leftovers are pelletized and become fish food.

blackwing
June 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think a lot of extra food gets re-used in some form or another. The "Sirloin" for dinner looked suspiciously like the "Yankee Pot Roast" from the lunch buffet. The "Lobster Bisque" became the "Lobster Sauce" for some beef dish.

The biggest dumping ground seems to be the "Late Night Buffet" which is pretty much just leftovers.

LSU Traveler
June 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I think a lot of extra food gets re-used in some form or another. The "Sirloin" for dinner looked suspiciously like the "Yankee Pot Roast" from the lunch buffet. The "Lobster Bisque" became the "Lobster Sauce" for some beef dish.

The biggest dumping ground seems to be the "Late Night Buffet" which is pretty much just leftovers.

Makes sense!:)

derf5585
June 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
When the ship serves lobster tails what do they do with the rest of the lobster
Same thing from frog legs.

derf5585
June 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM
One manner of food waste treatment is to grind the food waste in a pulper
from
http://www.freshpatents.com/Waste-handling-system-dt20051215ptan20050274035.php?type=description

dclark
June 5th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Back in '99 on the Elation, while my family sat and waited in the show room for the entertainment, I took a daughter went out to grab a slice of pizza.
At the buffet, they had prime rib. No, not roast beef, it was prime rib! So we ate some and brought some back to the show room.

bucket_O_beer4john
June 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
When the ship serves lobster tails what do they do with the rest of the lobster
Same thing from frog legs.

Or chicken fingers.

L2J
June 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
At the buffet, they had prime rib. No, not roast beef, it was prime rib! So we ate some and brought some back to the show room.

Please tell me you are joking.

vegasgeoff
June 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
On the Pride's galley tour they told us that they bring enough food onboard for about 9-10 days (even though the run is only 7 days - you never know when something might happen and you need an extra day or two worth of food). When the ship arrives back at Long Beach they rotate the older food forward and store the new stuff in the back - so the freezers are constantly rotating.
Leftovers turn into fish food.

It was also interesting that the ship can't bring any supplies on in Mexico - the only place they can restock is in Long Beach.

britishiles
June 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Or chicken fingers.

Or Buffalo Wings

jeffdal
June 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM

It looked like the folks on my cruise would eat anything put in front of them!! Maybe some of the food makes it to the crew.

Wennfred
June 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I guess if the left over was grinded up and then frozen, it could be sold to farms as pig food, I forget that they call that, Slop or something. Carnival could make money on that too.

twinkletoes4445
June 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Mighty judgemental. :(

dclark
June 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Not only did they have primerib in the buffet, they had lobster on both formal nights! This was on the 6/27/98 cruise on the Elation. Never have seen that offered again. Come to think of it, that was the last time we saw CCL have the "rum swizzle" party.:(

L2J
June 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Mighty judgemental. :(

Exactly how was that judgemental? Read the post again - I simply asked if he/she was joking about bringing the prime rib (from the buffet) into the showroom.

picklebongo
June 6th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Sorry to be off topic, but...this thread has a paper clip to the right and some others have like a thumbtack, does this have some significance?

L2J
June 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Sorry to be off topic, but...this thread has a paper clip to the right and some others have like a thumbtack, does this have some significance?

Not sure about the thumbtack...but I beleive the paperclip means that you've posted to a thread.

Eliot Ness
June 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Sorry to be off topic, but...this thread has a paper clip to the right and some others have like a thumbtack, does this have some significance?The thumbtack means it is a sticky thread, the paper clip means there are attachment/s in the thread.

If you hold your mouse cursor over those icons it will say X Attachment(s) or Sticky Thread.

John

Wennfred
June 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM

A paper clip alerts me that someone attached a picture to the thread.

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Exactly how was that judgemental? Read the post again - I simply asked if he/she was joking about bringing the prime rib (from the buffet) into the showroom.

Sorry, but this is the flavor of many of your posts. Very judgemental. They said they did it, and you ask if they are joking. Sounds like you are judging them to me. But I'm not the first to point this out to you. :(

People should feel free to post what they want, and not be questioned.

neverenufcruising
June 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
FOOD FIGHT!!!

derf5585
June 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM

So everything anyone posts is true, no question

L2J
June 6th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry, but this is the flavor of many of your posts. Very judgemental. They said they did it, and you ask if they are joking. Sounds like you are judging them to me. But I'm not the first to point this out to you. :(

If you don't like them don't read them. CCL folks get really bent out of shape becuase other cruisers call them classless...and what I commented about was a prime example of why. And yes, I was hoping the poster would come back and say that he was only joking but that hasn't happend yet. *****

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
So everything anyone posts is true, no question

Absolutely not, I am saying that I am SICK of rude posts from "certain" posters, when someone makes a statement (I"m sorry, but saying, "Tell Me You Are Joking?" is rude and a putdown). There aren't many, but there are a few here on this board, and they have been around for a bit, so it's nothing new. Someone makes a comment, and "certain" posters come back with a smarmy or nasty comment. That's what I dislike.

And the other poster is right, I don't have to read them, in fact, there are posters here that I never read, and I wish there was an "ignore" feature. Maybe someday I'll have the strength to just skip past them. It's always been somthing I've dislike about this board. There's lots of info, and lots of great posters...just a few that seem to think nothing of slamming another poster for their actions. I've seen many other posters make comments about this particular poster...

But I have to believe that those people who post such nastiness, have a lot of other issues in life. :(

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
If you don't like them don't read them. CCL folks get really bent out of shape becuase other cruisers call them classless...

What's lacking in class is your comment to that poster. :(

GoinCruisin
June 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Absolutely not, I am saying that I am SICK of rude posts from "certain" posters, when someone makes a statement (I"m sorry, but saying, "Tell Me You Are Joking?" is rude and a putdown). There aren't many, but there are a few here on this board, and they have been around for a bit, so it's nothing new. Someone makes a comment, and "certain" posters come back with a smarmy or nasty comment. That's what I dislike.

And the other poster is right, I don't have to read them, in fact, there are posters here that I never read, and I wish there was an "ignore" feature. Maybe someday I'll have the strength to just skip past them. It's always been somthing I've dislike about this board. There's lots of info, and lots of great posters...just a few that seem to think nothing of slamming another poster for their actions. I've seen many other posters make comments about this particular poster...

But I have to believe that those people who post such nastiness, have a lot of other issues in life. :(

Um, there IS an ignore feature...always has been, LOL!!!! if you don't care for someone's post, you should use it. I too, find it unbelievable that someone would take food to the showroom :rolleyes: Call me judgemental, but you aren't supposed to take food in there, and yes, in my OPINION, it isn't too classy... I can't think of too many situations this would be okay. Again, MY opinion... and if that makes me judgemental and evil, put me on ignore :D

Schadenfreude
June 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm sure the stuff gets used the next night. We had lobster for the formal night...the next dinner there was a lobster bisque, and 2 days later, a lobster sauce for another dish. And there way always some "delice de ocean"...a mishmash of seafood.

SunRae
June 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
an awful lot of the diet desserts that were on the dining room menu one night, in the buffett the next day. :D I probably should have had those instead of all the ice cream that I had...

neverenufcruising
June 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Personally, I like leftovers so bring it on.:D

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Um, there IS an ignore feature...always has been, LOL!!!! if you don't care for someone's post, you should use it. I too, find it unbelievable that someone would take food to the showroom :rolleyes: Call me judgemental, but you aren't supposed to take food in there, and yes, in my OPINION, it isn't too classy... I can't think of too many situations this would be okay. Again, MY opinion... and if that makes me judgemental and evil, put me on ignore :D

Done deal :)

Think what you want...saying it...well, nevermind. No sense beating a dead horse. :)

BrendaB1
June 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM

And your contribution to this thread was WHAT? Guess that makes you one of those certain posters that you are SICK of? :confused:

I have seen many leftover items show up on the buffet the next day. And just as good as the night before. :D So anytime you really enjoy something at dinner.....it might be a good idea to check the next day.

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
And your contribution to this thread was WHAT? Guess that makes you one of those certain posters that you are SICK of? :confused:

I have seen many leftover items show up on the buffet the next day. And just as good as the night before. :D So anytime you really enjoy something at dinner.....it might be a good idea to check the next day.

I am sick to death of someone coming along saying something...and they get bashed. The poster I was mentioning said they take food to the shows. And someone started in on them about that...very common here.

I don't care what they do with the leftovers...I really don't. If they show up the next day on the buffet, I don't care, that's not my point.

I've been around for years and years, and someone poor innocent poster (usually a newbie) will come along and say something that someone doesn't like...and God fobid if they have a complaint, they are slammed for it.

That's all I was saying.

Would you like to be laughed at for thinking it's okay for the previous dinner food to show up on the next days buffet?

BrendaB1
June 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I am sick to death of someone coming along saying something...and they get bashed. The poster I was mentioning said they take food to the shows. And someone started in on them about that...very common here.

I don't care what they do with the leftovers...I really don't. If they show up the next day on the buffet, I don't care, that's not my point.

I've been around for years and years, and someone poor innocent poster (usually a newbie) will come along and say something that someone doesn't like...and God fobid if they have a complaint, they are slammed for it.

That's all I was saying.

Would you like to be laughed at for thinking it's okay for the previous dinner food to show up on the next days buffet?

But that is what the Host/Moderators are here for. :) A lot of good people & information here......some even have a sense of humor. :D

No, but if someone brought ANY food into the show lounge, other than the appetizers that are served at cocktail parties....it would look a liitle strange.

And besides.....I like to think I have more class than that.

twinkletoes4445
June 6th, 2006, 07:39 PM
But that is what the Host/Moderators are here for. :) A lot of good people & information here......some even have a sense of humor. :D

No, but if someone brought ANY food into the show lounge, other than the appetizers that are served at cocktail parties....it would look a liitle strange.

And besides.....I like to think I have more class than that.

At this point, I suppose I have said enough. I usually come to the defense of somone who is either being laughed at (because they did something that some other poster thought was stupid), or put down.

And I know that's what the Mod's are for. I know this is the Internet, but it always surprises me when people are rude. I read here a long, long time before I ever had the courage to post. I saw too many people being put down for asking a simple question.

There are a few over-the-top posters, but for most part, everyone here is really helpful and friendly. :)

Scooters
June 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
excuse me... could we get back to my original post please.

derf5585
June 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
excuse me... could we get back to my original post please.

no
no

L2J
June 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM

If my post offended you I apologize but I and apparently several others didn't see it as rude or a putdown not to mention the fact it wasn't even directed at YOU. It was a legitimate question that has yet to be answered.

As far as my being "nasty"...don't think so - I see things in either black or white and I'll call it like I see it. If you cannot understand it or don't like it perhaps I'm not the one with issues...sorry.

jckvpa0
June 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM

With that being said than why are getting after him for what he posted :rolleyes: !

GoinCruisin
June 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM
With that being said than why are getting after him for what he posted :rolleyes: !

Duh, because it doesnt work both ways silly!!!! If it did, that would be too FAIR!!! :p

shuey1
June 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I really love all the great info on this board...but hate when I see a thread that starts to get ugly. Is there a way to directly contact the person you are ticked at to keep the mud slinging private so everyone else doesn't have to weed out everything that is of No interest to us? Just a simple question, in the most nicest manner.

iluvdoxies
June 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Liv and GC, I agree, pretty tacky to bring food to the showroom.

GoinCruisin
June 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I really love all the great info on this board...but hate when I see a thread that starts to get ugly. Is there a way to directly contact the person you are ticked at to keep the mud slinging private so everyone else doesn't have to weed out everything that is of No interest to us? Just a simple question, in the most nicest manner.

The simple answer is no, there is not a way to do that. If you are offended by a post though, you can report it to the hosts using the triangle... if it violates the guidelines, the hosts will take care of it.

What might not be any interest to you, might be of interest to many of US :p

It happens on the majority of message boards... you have this many people together and not everyone will have the same opinion, not everyone will agree... not everyone will have the same tone, etc. It's best if it bothers you, to just skip over it... for instance, you can pretty much know that 3 pages into a topic, the question was answered on page one... and just skip the rest :D

shergar1
June 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I am amused at the people who think it's tacky to bring food to a show, but will type for hours telling you how to smuggle booze in. I find that to be tackier than a little nibblein a showroom.

Bottom line is if you don't follow all the rules yourself, pipe down and mind your own business and maybe stop judging people also.

Thanks very much

GoinCruisin
June 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I am amused at the people who think it's tacky to bring food to a show, but will type for hours telling you how to smuggle booze in. I find that to be tackier than a little nibblein a showroom.

Bottom line is if you don't follow all the rules yourself, pipe down and mind your own business and maybe stop judging people also.

Thanks very much

I said it was tacky.. and I have never typed for hours telling anyone how to smuggle booze in (and I don't recall Liv or Vicki doing it either)_. Not everything can be painted with the same broad brush :rolleyes:

Bottom line, if I am trying to enjoy the show and someone sits down next to me and starts chowing down on their dinner, I have a problem with it... it takes away from my experience... and I have a right to say something about it. There is a reason they don't allow food in showrooms :rolleyes:

Talk about minding someone's business...

L2J
June 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks very much

Well if I bring a plate o' buffet into the showroom everyone will see it and know it's out of place, but if I'm sitting on the lido with my bubba keg no on will know the difference so IMO you're trying to compare apples and oranges.

Astronomer
June 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Interesting conversation.... I will try to get into the spirit of it.

Livtojump... you slime sucking pig.... :eek:

Ok seriously now... :)

Tacky to bring food to a show... yeah, that probably is
Tacky to smuggle booze onto the ship.... yeah... that probably is too
Tacky to put room service sandwiches in baggies and take them on shore excisions... yeah.. also tacky
Tacky to wear less than full formal wear to a formal function... yeah ... that is pretty tacky
Tacky to wear a cheek floss thong when you weigh 300 lbs... ok that is beyond tacky, that is a federal crime!

I guess what I am trying to say here, is that everyone on these forums ( except for Derf ) has probably done something tacky on a cruise ship, except me, cause I have not been on a cruise ship yet.

You arenít wrong about the secretiveness of your tackiness in hiding your booze in your bubba keg ( I may do the same thing ) but yeah, it is still tacky.

On a personal level I agree with you, and I wont bring food into the Show, or wear less than formal wear at a formal event, or wear cheek floss ( even though I donít weigh 300lb yet ) and I wont baggie sandwiches to smuggle off the ship either. I probably will bring some booze, have not decided yet.

But I do see what the other poster was saying..... poorly

coolestwife
June 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Tack is as tacky does. i have to agree that bringing a plate of food into a show is pretty tacky. M&M's - acceptable....Prime Rib - tacky.

Liv & Chris....don't think I'm tacky, but I would NEVER put you guys on ignore! (AVC on the other hand....:p )

L2J
June 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Livtojump... you slime sucking pig.... :eek:

You arenít wrong about the secretiveness of your tackiness in hiding your booze in your bubba keg ( I may do the same thing ) but yeah, it is still tacky.

But I do see what the other poster was saying..... poorly

I'll take that as a compliment.

Never said it wasn't tacky but at least no one will know.

Never claimed to be tactful either...

Astronomer
June 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Im glad you took it that way... cause although I was disagreeing with you in a minor way, on the whole I do agree.

Coolestwife I would respond too but I have put her on my ingore list for calling me remonortsA ;)

Yeah I am tacky in some ways and not in others. I am bringing on 3 bottles of wine for the 2 formal dinners and one for Davids Supper club. When asked how I would carry them in, I figured I would open them in my stateroom, put them in a brown paper bag and then stagger in. ;)

Seriously though, I dont think bringing wine intot he dining room is tacky at all. I will be brining much better wine to my taste, ( for a lot less moeny ) then they will have on board.

Now the little bit of rum that I smuggle in, might be tacky :eek:

coolestwife
June 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
...Coolestwife I would respond too but I have put her on my ingore list for calling me remonortsA ;) ...

Darn it!!!

big_duck
June 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Darn it!!!

He didn't see that so I will quote you so he can. :D

Astronomer
June 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Darn it!!!

You know I wouldnt ignore you.... very often ;)

Im getting silly, and stir crazy... Im going to complain to Carnival that their customer service department is not moving the calendar fast enough. :eek:

remonortsA

AppleValleyCruisers
June 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Tack is as tacky does. i have to agree that bringing a plate of food into a show is pretty tacky. M&M's - acceptable....Prime Rib - tacky.

Liv & Chris....don't think I'm tacky, but I would NEVER put you guys on ignore! (AVC on the other hand....:p )

Well, I've never:D ....... even thought that someone would be so inconsiderate as to bring in a plate of food to a show. But then again, I think that is topped by the shirtless shoeless clown we were standing next to in the buffet line on the Lido deck. Pit hair in your macaroni salad, anyone.......

coolestwife
June 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
.... Pit hair in your macaroni salad, anyone.......

too bad you can't hear me making retching noises...it's confusing the hell out of my co-workers!:eek:

GoinCruisin
June 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well, I've never:D ....... even thought that someone would be so inconsiderate as to bring in a plate of food to a show. But then again, I think that is topped by the shirtless shoeless clown we were standing next to in the buffet line on the Lido deck. Pit hair in your macaroni salad, anyone.......

UGH!!!!! What in the world is it that causes people to lose SENSE??? And to be completely disgusting!!!! UGH!!!! :eek:

Captain Jack
June 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
....sooo.... I'm guessing that shirtless, shoeless and wearing a Speedo is frowned upon in the buffet line! ;)

Would I be lambasted if I were to wear, say, a tank top and flip flops to the buffet line?

Not being facetious, just have never been on a cruise ship and am somewhat unsure where my uniform of the day (board shorts, tank and flops) are acceptable....

I do now understand that packing a slab of prime rib to the comedy show is probably not cool.....

Astronomer
June 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I promise I will shave all the hair off my body before putting on the tiny cheek floss thong on my overweight and aging body and head the the mermaid grill.

I promise. :cool:

derf5585
June 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I do now understand that packing a slab of prime rib to the comedy show is probably not cool.....

Prime rib no Secondary rib OK.
Now wasn't Eve made of Adam's rib. So bringing you Wife is like bringing your rib.

TexasRed
June 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Well, I have watched this thing progress for awhile now, and guess I will add my two cents, not that it matters. If you have to bring something on a plate to the show room, where do you intend to put it? I can just see the guy next to me with his napkin tucked into his collar, steak knife and fork clutched in his paws.....Gimme a BREAK!!!!! LMAO

And I agree with Brenda, I could care less what they do with the leftovers, I ain't gonna go hungry, and if I liked it at dinner, I'll be first in line to get it from the buffet too!

CeleBrat
June 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
They also feed the leftovers to the fish--reallY! On another cruiseline, the chef told us that the uneaten food that cannot be re-served (is on someone's plate, has sat too long on buffet, dropped on floor, etc) is ground and dumped into the ocean for the fish.

Honest!

CeleBrat

coolestwife
June 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM
They also feed the leftovers to the fish--reallY! On another cruiseline, the chef told us that the uneaten food that cannot be re-served (is on someone's plate, has sat too long on buffet, dropped on floor, etc) is ground and dumped into the ocean for the fish.

Honest!

CeleBrat

No wonder fish caught during deep sea fishing is so tasty!

derf5585
June 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
No wonder fish caught during deep sea fishing is so tasty!

That's why I like to deep sea fish off of my balcony.

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
....sooo.... I'm guessing that shirtless, shoeless and wearing a Speedo is frowned upon in the buffet line! ;)

Would I be lambasted if I were to wear, say, a tank top and flip flops to the buffet line?

Not being facetious, just have never been on a cruise ship and am somewhat unsure where my uniform of the day (board shorts, tank and flops) are acceptable....

Sorry OP, off-topic.....

A valid question Jack. Personally, I don't care to see someone's hairy armpits when I'm eating, or while watching them reach into a serving dish for this or that, so I would say a big no to a tank top. Flip flops? I don't think anyone would have an issue with them. (Funny, I don't have this issue with sleeveless shirts on woman, but then again I haven't typically seen Weigela bush-like hair under the arms of the ladies)

NOTE: My opinion pertains strictly to the non-formal dining options available on vessels.

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I haven't typically seen Weigela bush-like hair under the arms of the ladies)

Questions on: Weigela
from
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/shrub/weigela.htm

The Opinions Of A Reformed Plant Snob.
from
http://www.pottedliners.com/article_4.htm

Captain Jack
June 8th, 2006, 08:40 AM
cool.... so if I shave my armpits it's OK to wear a tank top in the buffet line??

Are there specific rules on what you can wear to the buffet? A couple of opinions from passengers who don't like tank tops I can understand, and to those I can always say "oh well" !! But if wearing tank tops is against the rules, I'll pack extra long sleeve shirts......

In fact, that may be a good idea for everyone on a cruise ship in 90 degree heat in the Caribbean, especially those particular few that have a huge blog of fat hanging off the bottom of their arms!.... nothing like watching a line of perspiration dripping off that mass into the potato salad!!! :eek:

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM
cool.... so if I shave my armpits it's OK to wear a tank top in the buffet line??

How about some stray hairs peeking out of your bathing suit.

L2J
June 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM

As long as there aren't any globs of Sure falling into the food.

Captain Jack
June 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM
How about some stray hairs peeking out of your bathing suit.

How about hairy armpits, flabby sweaty arms, speedo with pubes sticking out and a non-filtered Viceroy burning away!

Now, if I see someone like that in the buffet line, I may have to take a picture!!!

TexasRed
June 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Ummmmm, all I can say is GAG!!! lol

Now I am starting to wonder about all of the buffet restaurants here on land, I may never eat at Golden Corral again!!

Maryutah
June 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Boy, can anyone say hijack!?

Good question (initial topic), such a big ship, lot of people, lot of left overs - I wondered how it worked as well -

L2J
June 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ummmmm, all I can say is GAG!!! lol

Now I am starting to wonder about all of the buffet restaurants here on land, I may never eat at Golden Corral again!!

Ewwww...you should never have eaten there in the first place :eek: :p

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Boy, can anyone say hijack!?

Good question (initial topic), such a big ship, lot of people, lot of left overs - I wondered how it worked as well -

Wow, can anyone say the question has been answered in posts 2,4,5, 13, 32 and 122? ;)

blackwing
June 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I saw quite a number of people in bathing suits in the buffet lines. Men with no shirts, and women in bikinis. Most of them were early 30ish or younger and fit. Does it matter if they are in good shape and too lazy to go find their clothes to put on?

I found it odd, but I figured they were tanning on the Lido and were hungry and went to grab something to eat. The buffet is more casual anyways, and some sit outside.

The discussion about pit hair is interesting, but isn't an arm hair or head hair just as likely to fall out and wind up in the food? Any kind of hair in food is gross, IMO.

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Wow, can anyone say the question has been answered in posts 2,4,5, 13, 32 and 122? ;)

You mean there is more than one answer. Well they all can't be wright.

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM
You mean there is more than one answer. Well they all can't be wright.

Derf, Are you ready to do me this service?
I want you to use all your powers-- and all your skills. I don't want my mother to see the thread like this.

(What's the final answer on where the food goes?)

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM
(What's the final answer on where the food goes?)

Food like matter is neither created or destroyed.

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Sounds logical to me.

Can we go back to talking about buffet line horror stories now? It is related to where the food goes, right?

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Can we go back to talking about buffet line horror stories now?

I thought I was in line for a Buffett concert and all there was was a line for food.

Timmys_mom
June 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
The discussion about pit hair is interesting, but isn't an arm hair or head hair just as likely to fall out and wind up in the food? Any kind of hair in food is gross, IMO.
True, but pit hair and pubes fall into a very special category of "gross".:eek:

BTW - I'm okay with tank tops in the buffet line - at least that person bothered to put a shirt on. I was raised to believe that you come to the dinner table fully clothed and hatless, no matter where you are.

Where does the food go after the fish are "done" with it? And what if they were serving fish that day? I mean, I can see them eating chicken or frog legs, but tunas shouldn't be eating tunas.:eek:

(the pitcher winds up and tosses in a slow pitch, right in the middle of the strike zone) Take it away, AVC............

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Where does the food go after the fish are "done" with it? And what if they were serving fish that day? I mean, I can see them eating chicken or frog legs, but tunas shouldn't be eating tunas.:eek:.

Do you believe we should be breathing in what others breath out.

pholter
June 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
So, please let me get this straight with y'alls help-

1) Can I bring food into the showroom if I have the munchies from all the smuggled booze I drank and really needed by 8th full meal of the day? Is that completely tacky if I've already completed another tacky task?

2) Should I share my Magic Powder with all the men without shaved underarms in line at the buffet or the possible "strays" from bathing suits or thongs? Would that be considered tacky?

3) Couldn't I ask the chef to make me some sandwiches for my excursions with all the leftover food prior to them making fish food out of it?

Thanks so much! :)

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
True, but pit hair and pubes fall into a very special category of "gross".:eek:

BTW - I'm okay with tank tops in the buffet line - at least that person bothered to put a shirt on. I was raised to believe that you come to the dinner table fully clothed and hatless, no matter where you are.

Where does the food go after the fish are "done" with it? And what if they were serving fish that day? I mean, I can see them eating chicken or frog legs, but tunas shouldn't be eating tunas.:eek:

(the pitcher winds up and tosses in a slow pitch, right in the middle of the strike zone) Take it away, AVC............

I'll bet all the "Mrs. Tuna's" would disagree.... It would reduce competition amongst the breeding stock. Oh wait, they'd be eating tuna that already is dead, so that theory is incorrect. Never mind.

Keys2Heaven
June 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM

How true, unfortunately!! :(

First cruise on the Miracle we say the same thing. A 300+ pound fellow with the atypical wife beater tank top, swim trunks hiked up to you know where and no footware who was butting in the buffet line while stress-testing the weight limit of the plates with whatever he could grab.

My wife and I were enjoying our lunch until we saw this. What really grosses me out is the no footwear thing. Some people need to wear shoes!!!!! This guy had those kind of feet that are crusty and yellow, with toenails 3 or 4 shades of green & black. And he didn't walk, he kinda shuffled everywhere. When he did pick up his foot, the bottoms of his feet were completely black. Even more disgusting is knowing he jumped right back into the pool after he was done devouring the buffet.

YUCK!!!!!! :eek:

P.S. AVC: Who is in the picture of your avatar? Kinds looks like Einstein in the Alps.

Timmys_mom
June 8th, 2006, 12:00 PM
they'd be eating tuna that already is dead
Blah.

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
This guy had those kind of feet that are crusty and yellow, with toenails 3 or 4 shades of green & black. And he didn't walk, he kinda shuffled everywhere. When he did pick up his foot, the bottoms of his feet were completely black. Even more disgusting is knowing he jumped right back into the pool after he was done devouring the buffet.

YUCK!!!!!! :eek:

P.S. AVC: Who is in the picture of your avatar? Kinds looks like Einstein in the Alps.

Ok, that is just sick and wrong. As Goin' asked previously, where do these people come from? Tell me that this isn't a common occurance on the other cruiselines and I'll have a good idea why some people think those of us who really like CCL and their product offerings are a bunch of hillbilly yokels:mad:

The avatar is actually Peter Sellers disguised as a pirate in Revenge of the Pink Panther. I think I'll add his line from the movie when he was disguised as such to my signature line:D

VEGAS BABY
June 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I just got off the Ecstasy a couple of weeks ago and on the galley tour the maitre' d told us that the excess food is ground up and "released" out into the sea to feed the animals. The only stipulation is they have to be at least 12 miles out.

Johnsy81
June 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Scooters has asked a legitimate question. Can we get back on topic here?!

I'm not sure what they do with leftover food today. Years and years ago the food was actually put in plastic trash bags and thrown overboard at night. I've no doubt that has stopped (for environmental reasons as well as from a cost perspective). I had been told back in 1976 (my first cruise) that the crew eats differently than the passengers. I doubt that that is the case anymore (I certainly hope it isn't). I for one hope that the crew does get to enjoy at least some of the abundance that we passengers enjoy every day.

Anyone out there with more current information?

dan40
June 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I have done my level best on every cruise to insure that there is no leftover food. I can do no more.

All humans are judgemental 100% of the time about everything and everybody. It is unchangeable and uncontrollable. I don't know why we try to deny a universal trait.
Being right does not make the other person "judgemental" while you're not.
Its normal, human and it is essential to our lives. Admit and live with it.

A completely judgemental,
Dan

GoinCruisin
June 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure what they do with leftover food today. Years and years ago the food was actually put in plastic trash bags and thrown overboard at night. I've no doubt that has stopped (for environmental reasons as well as from a cost perspective). I had been told back in 1976 (my first cruise) that the crew eats differently than the passengers. I doubt that that is the case anymore (I certainly hope it isn't). I for one hope that the crew does get to enjoy at least some of the abundance that we passengers enjoy every day.

Anyone out there with more current information?

Er, read the post above yours :cool:

jeffdal
June 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM

On my cruise last week, I saw just about everything in the buffet line....but the worst is when someone picks something up with their hand and eats it right there in line. I also notice several people walking and eating....like pizza, bagels, etc.

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
A 300+ pound fellow with the atypical wife beater tank top,

The origin of the term is from the stereotype that the shirts are worn predominantly by men who beat their wives;
from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_beater_(slang)

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Years and years ago the food was actually put in plastic trash bags and thrown overboard at night.

When I was in the Navy we used to throw the trash off of the fantail which was in plastic bags. I knew it was wrong but I was only following orders

Keys2Heaven
June 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
The origin of the term is from the stereotype that the shirts are worn predominantly by men who beat their wives;
from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_beater_(slang)

Hasn't anyone ever watched "COPS"???? :D

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM

I certainly feel your frustration, especially after reading that a majority of the posts on the actual subject matter that seem to report that the leftovers are a) used for various dishes in the buffet line, or b) ground up and deposited overboard after the ship is greater than 12 miles from landfall. My further frustration comes when I actually read that those reporting this information have received it from talking to staff members on the ship.

It's a real issue around here I'll tell you, I once asked a legitimate question about the smoking age on CCL ships, and somehow, it went to heck in a handbasket;)

bucket_O_beer4john
June 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
It's a real issue around here I'll tell you, I once asked a legitimate question about the smoking age on CCL ships, and somehow, it went to heck in a handbasket;)

How is that strapping young man doing with his habit??

Timmys_mom
June 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
BTW - tell him he is late on his child support for little Jr. here.

AppleValleyCruisers
June 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Doing well, although he quit smoking when he burned himself with an iron using it trying to light up a smoke while at work. BTW, he's apparently taken a job as a sous chef on Norwegian's CL SS Norway. Tells me he's eating very well, however he reports they have to grind the food into mush, and they can only eat when they are twelve miles out to sea or farther. They make them eat on the economy for days in ports.

coolestwife
June 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM

suuuuuure.....legitimate.....that's not what she said!

derf5585
June 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
, I once asked a legitimate question about the smoking age on CCL ships, and somehow, it went to heck in a handbasket;)

I wonder what the ships do with the used buts?

Captain Jack
June 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I wonder what the ships do with the used buts?

From what I understand there are no butts!!! The smokers carry around their own ashtrays!

That sounds just lovely!!!

Much rather see someone at the buffet in a tank top than packing their own ashtray and stuffing used cigarettes into their pocket!! Can you imagine the stench!!!

...Incidentally, I hope this thread stays active until I get back from my first cruise, cause I will be posting a picture of me and my hairy armpits.... in a tank top.... in the buffet line!!!

bucket_O_beer4john
June 9th, 2006, 07:58 AM
When I was in the Air Force I smoked. While on the flightline, we had to carry our butts around with us. (we also had to smoke well away from the planes) We'd knock the cherry off, then put the butt in our pocket, and dump them when we got back to the shop. Since the cherry is knocked off, they really don't smell too bad. We called it "field stripping".

BTW, the "cherry" is the lit end. I was stationed in Arkansas, so the cigarettes had the only cherrys I was knocking off (slim pickings where I was!). It was a long two years.....:mad:

L2J
June 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM
BTW, the "cherry" is the lit end. I was stationed in Arkansas, so the cigarettes had the only cherrys I was knocking off (slim pickings where I was!). It was a long two years.....:mad:

ROFLMAO...:D I was going to say something about magazines and kleenex but I won't. :p

derf5585
June 9th, 2006, 08:18 AM
ROFLMAO...:D I was going to say something about magazines and kleenex but I won't. :p

Magazine & Kleenex wall mount blue
from
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magazine-Kleenex-wall-mount-blue_W0QQitemZ4416836925QQcategoryZ38223QQcmdZView Item

Extra Credit Due-Magazines and Kleenex
from
http://www.south.mccsc.edu/~mmontgom/Health-T2.htm