Collection of souvenirs

12B@C

Every port has something to offer. Everyone's taste is a bit different. So, what is your collection of souvenirs????

Some time ago I bought a flute from a street vendor in Cusco; then an other type of flute from a small shop in Thailand, a nose blown flute in Hawaii and a small bagpipe in Scotland. I also added a flute from Turkey and Bali, and a digeredoo from Austalia.

What is amazing is that all these wooden instruments have many similarities, They are all handmade and require hand and mouth manipulations and some skill to work properly.

Do you collect?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Every port has something to offer. Everyone's taste is a bit different. So, what is your collection of souvenirs????

Some time ago I bought a flute from a street vendor in Cusco; then an other type of flute from a small shop in Thailand, a nose blown flute in Hawaii and a small bagpipe in Scotland. I also added a flute from Turkey and Bali, and a digeredoo from Austalia.

Do you collect?

Not that you asked <grin>, but that "small bigpipe" is probably a "chanter." Such useless inforamtion is what I get from spending summers on Cape Breton Island.

I do quite a bit of travelling. My wife usually joins me only for the cruises. When I travel alone,w e have this great deal:

I don't buy stuff. She buys stuff here at home made in whatever countries I am visiting. We are both happier this way. :)

We are both book freaks. Museum catalogues, books on teh local geology (my wife's favorite), local interest stuff in general. I always ship the stuff home as books are way to heavy to pack or carry.

Other than that, my wife collects miniture furniture. I collect flags from local football (real football: soccer adn Rugby Union) teams.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Sea glass, pins, books, gold charms for the ladies and money; and I am sure there are many more things people bring back as souvenirs. My office wall is covered with "junk" that brings back fond memories of all the places we have visited.

Thanks for you responses.

A note to abOsi about your comment: that "small bigpipe" is probably a "chanter." What I have is an actual bagpipe in small format. It has one real and two artificial drones. You can blow the bag and play a tune that sounds more like a crying baby because of the smaller size. Dogs go crazy when I "play" it. The way I understand it, the chanter is the part that is like a normal flute with holes that the player manipulates to play the music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I collect magnets from each ship, port and airport we visit. Unfortunately I did not get one from the Grand Princess, :( so if anyone is going on Grand Princess, I would like to work out getting one from you.

I also buy one item for the home from each port. I bought 1 painting from a Hawaiian artist. I have bought paintings in St. Lucia, pottery from San Juan, etc.

We also brought back 2 plumeria plants from Hawaii 2 yeras ago and they have grown beautifully. We plan on getting several more this year.

• 3 weeks later...

My most coveted souvenir is the porthole I purchased while on the original Sun Princess to Alaska in 1981. It is of course round, 12 inches across and looks like the real thing, although it is plastic. It even has the Sun Princess logo in the mirror and the fastening on the side. It is proudly displayed in my hallway where I can look at it whenever I go in and out of my apartment.

Archived