PDA

View Full Version : Best way to spend a day in Grenada?

GloriaF
November 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi, my husband and I (active late 50's) will be in Grenada on 12/5/06 on the Sun Princess. We are looking for the best way to spend a day in Grenada and feel like we have had a true taste of the island. We like snorkeling, exploring all the nooks and crannies in out of the way places on land, seeing the sights, just about all activities - and would appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks :)

robtulipe
December 1st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Take a whole island tour as this is one of the most beautiful and my favourite Caribbean island. I have been there four times both with island vacation packages and cruise stops. Get a group together and go with one of the local taxi vans as they will give you a more personalized tour, are able to go where the big buses can't and usually with a small group are more fun and cheaper than the ship's tours.

SusieCruiser
December 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Just wanted everyone to know I just came back from the Crown princess and used Mandoo in Grenada he was very good! very informative and a nice man. he explained so much to us and love the spices Wait and buy them when you go to the place with the Mona Monkeys! Wheel and Deal!

But MAndoo was great and you can be rest assured about the safety and completeness of his tour there was 50 of us on his tour and was loved!

RB Bonzo
December 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Just wanted everyone to know I just came back from the Crown princess and used Mandoo in Grenada he was very good! very informative and a nice man. he explained so much to us and love the spices Wait and buy them when you go to the place with the Mona Monkeys! Wheel and Deal!

But MAndoo was great and you can be rest assured about the safety and completeness of his tour there was 50 of us on his tour and was loved!

It was a couple of years ago, but we thought Mandoo was the best tour guide we have had anywhere. Ask him to try to work a spice plantation stop into the tour, and he will accommodate.

SusieCruiser
December 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM
It was a couple of years ago, but we thought Mandoo was the best tour guide we have had anywhere. Ask him to try to work a spice plantation stop into the tour, and he will accommodate.

Yes he took us on a spice tour it was great!
ANd Thenford Grey in St Kitts was wonderful!

GloriaF
December 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
and were very pleased with the results. We paid $45 pp and it was half of what the tour with the ship cost, as twice as good. We were with Mandoo for 6 hours at least, maybe closer to 7.

He is very knowledgeable and a very interesting individual - we had 13 total and it was a wonderful small group. We went to the spice plantation, waterfall, rain forest, saw and fed the monkeys, stopped at the beach for a couple of hours, etc. He bought bananas for us to taste and tried very hard to make the tour the best it could possibly be. He is very considerate to stop the bus and let everyone get their pictures.

I can sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Mandoo Tours!

SusieCruiser
December 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Gloria I am with you on thiss tour guide I see why Conde Naste did a artical on him!

and were very pleased with the results. We paid $45 pp and it was half of what the tour with the ship cost, as twice as good. We were with Mandoo for 6 hours at least, maybe closer to 7.

He is very knowledgeable and a very interesting individual - we had 13 total and it was a wonderful small group. We went to the spice plantation, waterfall, rain forest, saw and fed the monkeys, stopped at the beach for a couple of hours, etc. He bought bananas for us to taste and tried very hard to make the tour the best it could possibly be. He is very considerate to stop the bus and let everyone get their pictures.

I can sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Mandoo Tours!

Maya-Tucker
December 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Take a whole island tour as this is one of the most beautiful and my favourite Caribbean island. I have been there four times both with island vacation packages and cruise stops. Get a group together and go with one of the local taxi vans as they will give you a more personalized tour, are able to go where the big buses can't and usually with a small group are more fun and cheaper than the ship's tours.

I absolutely have to agree here. Taking a taxi is definitely cheaper than a ships tour plus this way you can personalize your own tour this way and get to many places that the big buses can not. Tell your driver what you like doing and seeing and he/she will be more than happy to show you their island. Also since they live there, they know places to go away from the overcrowded tourist sites that are absolutely breathtaking! We also like to find local restaurants to have lunch at and this is a good way to experience that also.

Have a wonderful trip!

GloriaF
December 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM
- private tours via taxi or vans are the best way to go!

From reading on this board the recommendations for Mandoo, we decided to go with him. He met us at the port in a very nice a/c mini-bus with a speaker system so that everyone could hear him. He took us on a 6-7 hour tour hitting all the sights and ending with snorkeling at the beach - it was a perfect day. There were only 12 or 13 total in our composed group, all from Sun Princess since we were the only ship in port. He bought us all a banana so that we could taste the local fruit and entrance fees were included in his charge of $45pp. Such a deal!! I would recommend Mandoo to anyone~

cruznqueen
December 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Gloria,

I have booked Mandoo for my cruise in February. Did he take you someplace for lunch? Was it a local place away from all the tourists?
What other sights did you like on his tour?

Thanks,
Mary

Mac Pete
December 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
When we booked Mandoo, he dropped us at Grand Anse beach for lunch at Coconuts. Right on the beach, great local food, please try something other than a sandwich! Spectacular setting, we returned several years later and it was just a pretty. (Thanks in large part to Mandoo!)
Depending on who is in port, you may have the place free of tourists, althought there are some colourful locals who'll stop by and say hello and offer to sell you the standard trinkets.
Unlike some other destinations, a polite but firm "no thanks" will end the hassle. Grenada is a jewel among destinations.

pkflmngo
December 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Hello Gloria,

I am thinking this is the same Gloria I met on Mandoo's WONDERFUL tour and just wanted to say hello.

Hope you and Bob have a great holiday season, sure feel relaxed going into the busy season.

Pam

pkflmngo
December 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to say we toured w/Mandoo and it was great. Learned alot and had a great time.:)

GloriaF
December 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Pam! Great to hear from you! Tell Susan & Chris I said hello and I hope you all have super holidays!!

cruznqueen, Mandoo indeed took us to Grand Anse Beach at the end of the tour - it was about 2:30 by then and we planned to stay a couple of hours. There was a restaurant and bar there, but none of our group chose to eat - I guess we were all too anxious to get to the water. The snorkeling was disappointing there, but the beach was nice and the water a good temp.

Here is the email he sent outlining the tour itinerary: Many thanks for your enquiries.The spice plantation route is ideal for your stay on the island. Douglaston spice depot,there will be a presentation on all the spices,you can purchase fresh quality spices there. Drive through the lush volcanic mountains to see the spices,cocoa and bananas plantations. Great photo shots. Grand etang crater lake. Rain forest. Small walk on the nature trail if so desire. May see the Mona monkeys. Annandale waterfall. Then to the beach for a swim which I give as complimentary for those who are
interested.

GloriaF
December 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
We were on the same tour!!

Here is what it covered (from an email from mandoo):
The cost was $45pp
Many thanks for your enquiries.The spice plantation route is ideal for your stay on the island.

Douglaston spice depot,there will be a presentation on all the spices,you can purchase fresh quality spices there.

Drive through the lush volcanic mountains to see the spices,cocoa and bananas plantations. Great photo shots.

Grand etang crater lake.

Rain forest. Small walk on the nature trail if so desire. May see the Mona monkeys.

Annandale waterfall.

Then to the beach for a swim which I give as complimentary for those who are
interested.

Cruisingoose
December 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Gloria - how do you get ahold of the tour company? I would love to get more information on what the itinerary was ..etc.... Can I email you or vise versa? gooseylou22@yahoo.com...

Any information would be appreciated!! (From anyone!)

GloriaF
December 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Cruisingoose, I just checked back and found your question - sorry for the delay. Fortunately I asked for a business card from Mandoo. I'll print the email here and email you ~

Mandoo Tours ~ Grenada Board of Tourism Award Winning Tour Guide
(he told us he has won for the past 3 years)
*Air Conditioned Tours*Airport Transfers*Personalized Tours By Arrangement
Tel/Fax (473)440-1428
Mobile (473)407-0024
Pager 441-7196 Channels 16 & 74 VHF
P. O. Box 826. St George's, Grenada, W.I.
www.grenadatours.com
email mandoo@grenadatours.com

plugged51
December 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
yes, it is true. what a special day we had with mandoo. Grenada is most beautiful. We were so fortunate to have this knowlegeable, warm gentleman to share his island with us. Mandoo went out of his way to be sure to show us all the sights that he loves so much. He catered to every need we had. He showed extreme compassion in assisting my challenged friend throughout the day. Mandoo is a class act, sure to provide you with an unforgettable experience. I thank him for making my trip a lasting memory. rhonda

Cruiser61
January 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Mandoo offers three tours. With only one day in Grenada, it looks like the Northern tour might be the best. Any comments?

Grammar Goddess
January 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
My husband and I, together with another couple from Eastern NC, cruised Sea Princess from December 23-January 6. We pre-booked a tour of Grenada with Mandoo, outlining in several emails what we wanted to do and see. He was very accommodating, always answered our email questions promptly, and offered his own suggestions to complement our tour. When we arrived in Grenada, he was waiting for us with a sign with our name on it.

What a charming man he is, and knowledgeable, courteous, competent. He has a wonderful air-conditioned van, very roomy. We had asked for the spice plantation, Grand Etang Lake, and Annandale Falls, and had encouraged him to add any other attractions he might find interesting for us. Even though it was a Sunday and many shops and restaurants were closed, he took us to Dougaldson Spice Plantation, opened it up for us, and explained the process, also offering spices for sale. They were very reasonable, from $1 to $2 a bag, and the four of us thought that it was one of the highlights of our 10-port cruise. As we drove around Grenada, Mandoo spoke eloquently of the history and culture of his island nation, often stopping by particular trees or flowers to allow photographs and further explanation. Annandale Falls and Grand Etang Lake were both spectacular, as was all of the scenery in this beautiful country. We were able to take pictures at any time, ask him questions, and in general fix our own schedule. We decided to return to the ship for lunch since so few places were open, and he picked us up again after lunch and took us to around the city, the fort, and to a beautiful beach.

It is not necessary for you to select among his offerings. He will take you wherever you want to go, just let him know ahead of time or while you are with him. We recommend him to you without reservation. In all of our tours in all of the ports, he is definitely one of the best.

GG

kiefaber455
January 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Susie, did you need to pre-book your tour with Mandoo before arriving in Grenada? We will be on the Crown, and in port on Feb. 6th. I am assuming that you also only had 5 hours before the ship left.

I so hate feeling like we are being squeezed by the cruise lines. As an example in St. Kitts Princess is charging $129 for a train excursion, where if you book it your self it is only $89 plus the cost of getting to the departure point, which certainly isn't going to be the $40 difference.

SusieCruiser
January 17th, 2007, 07:51 AM
yes we booked in advance with him.. and yes we had 5 hrs which sucked becuse you can only do so much in that amount of time BUT we saw so much, and its lush there. HE comes Highly recommended even in COnde Nast and has won many awards. I mean I can see the cruise lines making money but its ridiculous, when you go to Bonaire they do a beach day its $99 DO not do that! INSTEAD take a taxi about $10 total and go to the Plaza hotel its a $15 admission to have a chair and umbrella for the day and use their facility its the SAME thng the ship does except they give you lunch WELL I DOUBT you would eat $74 for lunch! What a rip!
Kiefaber could you email me when you return? I want to know your thoughts on the crew onboard this ship- we had found them to be rude and the Pursers desk OH BOY I hated to go there they were just not nice. Especially a SOfia could you tell me if she is still there? Beautiful Ship though.. a bit harder to get around on BUt its so port intensive you are hardly on the ship!
oh when in Bonaire when you exit out the gate to the left you go down to the 2nd corner I believe and make a right there is a house that the flamingo lady lives its eclectic BUT she has flamingoes in her backyard and all kinds of things ITs a Hoot and its free!

Susie, did you need to pre-book your tour with Mandoo before arriving in Grenada? We will be on the Crown, and in port on Feb. 6th. I am assuming that you also only had 5 hours before the ship left.

I so hate feeling like we are being squeezed by the cruise lines. As an example in St. Kitts Princess is charging $129 for a train excursion, where if you book it your self it is only $89 plus the cost of getting to the departure point, which certainly isn't going to be the $40 difference.

Grammar Goddess
January 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM

I'm not Susie, but I can respond to your question! Yes, we prebooked with Mandoo. You can email him at mandoo@grenadatours.com and he will meet you at the port. This is one of the best tours we have ever taken; just let him know what you want to do, or let him plan a tour for you, given the time you have. We toured with him from the Sea Princess on December 28th. We went to Annandale Falls, Grand Etang Lake, and through the rainforest. He also took us to the fort and to a beach. It cost $45 apiece for a longer tour than you're planning. We recommend him without reservation. Enjoy Grenada!

Connie

JXR
January 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks Susie for the review.

I will be on the Crown in April, and also booked with Mandoo. How stretched for time are we on this island. Did you have to run to the ship, or did you get there with a little time to spare?

Thanks,

Joanne

ChattTenn
January 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM
We did all day Northern Tour with Mandoo in October (Sun Princess). Mandoo gave us a wonderful tour including most of the places mentioned on this board plus a tour to a Chocolate Factory (organic chocolate), a Rum factory and an excellent lunch at one of the restaurant (all local dishes) at the beach.

If the ship will have a longer stay in Grenada, you might consider to take this tour. It is a 7 hours tour but you will get to see a whole of this beautiful island.

He got us back to ship on time even had a little extra time to do a little shopping at the pier.

raringtogo
January 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM
ChattTenn (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=72604) - can you tell us how much the 7 hour tour cost please?
it sounds very good. We will not be in Grenada until end of the year but I will be booking way ahead to be sure we can secure Mandoo himself

Grammar Goddess
January 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM
There were four of us; Mandoo charged us $45 apiece for the entire day - about 8:00 in the morning until about 4:00 in the afternoon, with an hour break for lunch back at the ship. We booked him in about February for our New Year's Eve tour of Grenada. Yes, go ahead and get him lined up. He is by far the best tour guide you have ever had! And his van is immaculate. He will show you Grenada as nobody else can.

Tell him Connie recommended him!!

raringtogo
January 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
thank you connie -:)

kpauley
January 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
For those of you who pre-booked with Mandoo, did you need to pay in advance? Also, does he have XX number of passengers he takes in total. Let's say group1 books 6 people and group2 books 10 people, and group3 books 4 people and there is 3 people at the pier looking for an excursion. Is that now the "group" for the tour or does he just take the first group to book. Thanks.

Grammar Goddess
January 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi there,

I asked Mandoo in an email if we could pre-pay, as we wished to pay everything ahead that we could and not have to bother with constantly carrying cash around. He sent me a form which allowed me to pre-pay half of the tour by credit card, but he didn't send it to the credit card company until our tour was over.

There were four of us in our party. He had us scheduled for the day and time that we arrived. If someone had asked him later, no matter the size of the party, he would have turned them down. Mandoo is ethical, responsible, sophisticated, articulate, professional, courteous. His immaculate custom van would probably have held two more people, but we didn't think ahead of time or we might have invited some new cruise friends to go along.

There aren't enough good things to say about Mandoo. Here's one example: one member of our party insisted upon returning to the ship for lunch after we had covered everything that we'd pre-arranged: the spice factory [which he opened for us. It was Sunday when we were there, so it was closed. He also carefully explained the process to us and offered us the opportunity to purchase the already-packaged spices there in the factory. The prices were amazing: $1 to $2 for spices we pay five and ten times that amount for in the US.] After we reluctantly agreed to accommodate our friend and go back to the ship, on a whim, I asked Mandoo if he would pick us up an hour later. :o Surprisingly, he agreed. Despite the inconvenience to him of having to split the tour and return to the cruise dock, he charged only what he had previously said, $45 per person, even though the second part of the tour covered ground that we had not asked for before the tour. He took us all over St. George's, to the fort, around the town, all the while narrating for us. He's just a prince of a fellow. You cannot possibly go wrong with Mandoo. We hope to be back in Grenada again in December of 2008, and you can be sure that if that cruise materializes, we will be booking Mandoo again.

You will love Grenada!

Enjoy your cruise, :)

GG

kpauley
January 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Grammar Goddess - Thanks for all of your information. Do you know if he has different sized vans? We'll probably have 10 in our group. Thanks.

Grammar Goddess
January 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry, I don't know whether or not Mandoo has vans other than the one he used for us, immaculate and roomy, but not able to accommodate 10! [unless you're VERY friendly]

The four of us had lots and lots of room.

If his van cannot hold ten passengers, my advice would be to ask him how many he will take and to suggest another guide for the rest. Perhaps you could be a caravan.

You don't want to miss Mandoo!! :)

GG

Grammar Goddess
January 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
So sorry, but I don't know. There were four of us, would have been room for six, even with all of our stuff! Mandoo is so knowledgeable, articulate, eloquent in his explanations, courteous, charming, and delightful, that my advice would be to go with him, even if he can't accommodate all of your party!! Ask him to recommend someone for the others, but you grab him! For all I know, he has larger vans . . . we just didn't need one. But if he doesn't, you make sure that you go with him. Anyone he recommends is certain to be competent. As I've said earlier on these posts, when/if we return to Grenada, I'll book him as far ahead as I can. I don't think anyone could capture the flavor and essence of Grenada as he does, and with such style. :)

GG

GloriaF
January 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Mandoo used a small bus when we were on tour with him. The bus wasn't full, would probably accomodate 20ish and we had 13, I think. My husband & I booked independently, as did the others, but we were all from the same ship (only 1 in port) and it was a wonderful tour! Highly recommended!!:) :) :)

thatbloominplace
January 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
mandoo was perhaps the best land excursion we have ever taken. partly it was the very varied experiences of the tour, largely it was the fascinating and articulate mandoo, himself.

we took the northern route which included stops at a spice processing plant, an old rum distillery, an organic chocolate "factory", beautiful vistas, an incredible lunch at a local restaurant in a secluded oceanfront area, walks along a beautiful ocean reseve, a short walk to a waterfall you can swim in,and all the while mandoo narrating and discussing the politics of grenada and the future of his country, and to an extent the world. highly opinionated and perceptive, he tried to engage the passengers in debate, and not just chide them into believing his views. he welcomed questions and comments and was also open to discussing his personal experiences.

this was, then, not just a chance to see a beautiful country, but a chance to hear and discuss its future and culture. i have always arranged for tours on our own when we travel, so we have taken many excellent tours such as this. but mandoo is a can't miss experience!

steve

kpauley
January 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
mandoo was perhaps the best land excursion we have ever taken. partly it was the very varied experiences of the tour, largely it was the fascinating and articulate mandoo, himself.

we took the northern route which included stops at a spice processing plant, an old rum distillery, an organic chocolate "factory", beautiful vistas, an incredible lunch at a local restaurant in a secluded oceanfront area, walks along a beautiful ocean reseve, a short walk to a waterfall you can swim in,and all the while mandoo narrating and discussing the politics of grenada and the future of his country, and to an extent the world. highly opinionated and perceptive, he tried to engage the passengers in debate, and not just chide them into believing his views. he welcomed questions and comments and was also open to discussing his personal experiences.

this was, then, not just a chance to see a beautiful country, but a chance to hear and discuss its future and culture. i have always arranged for tours on our own when we travel, so we have taken many excellent tours such as this. but mandoo is a can't miss experience!

steve

Could you tell me the cost per person for the Northern Route? Thanks.

Kathy

thatbloominplace
January 27th, 2007, 08:25 AM
the cost was $70 pp. he takes your cc info ahead of time. you can leave it as a cc payment or pay him cash on the day of the trip.

steve

kpauley
January 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks.

MOMJAHELKA
January 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hi, we are on the Crown at the same time as you. Have you been on the Roll Call board. There seem to be a great group of people going on this trip. We are a group of 12 and are looking forward to a wonderful time. Come meet us on the Roll Calls. Bye

dis2cruise
January 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=SusieCruiser;8831749]! INSTEAD take a taxi about $10 total and go to the Plaza hotel its a $15 admission to have a chair and umbrella for the day and use their facility its the SAME thng the ship does except they give you lunch WELL I DOUBT you would eat $74 for lunch! What a rip!

SusieCruiser,

don't want to hi jack this thread however could you tell me a little more about this hotel? can you also use their pool?

cheryl

Merv1
January 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I've read so many good things about Mandoo...I think that is the tour we will book when in Granada in October/November. Thank you for your informative post. There will possibly be only 2 in my group (my husband and I) -- do you think that is too few for him to accomodate us? The Northern tour that you took sounds like it is just up our alley...we will be looking for NON-touristy places to see...quiet and peaceful. Do you think this would suit us? Thanks!!! :)

thatbloominplace
January 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM
once we left the area around the spice processing plant, we stopped seeing any more tourists. this would be exactly what you want. we saw only 4 other people at the seaside reserve, no one else at the estuary restaurant, and 4 others at the waterfall. so you can see, we were pretty much by ourselves. there were only the 2 of us also, but he had others from our ship as well. i believe there were a total of 12-14 people on our tour.

steve

Merv1
January 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hey Steve! Fantastic...this sounds WONDERFUL! Just what we are looking for. I'm wondering if I should contact him now -- our trip isn't until end of October/early November -- your thoughts? Also, I am a vegetarian -- no fish or seafood either. Not knowing what is traditionally eaten/served in Grenada, do you think I would be able to eat at the restaraunt? We would go anyway...it really sounds lovely and my husband does eat meat, but just wondering if I should pack some food with me? And can I assume that the lunch cost is not included in the price of the tour? Mary

thatbloominplace
January 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
the price of the lunch IS included. the lunch consisted of a wonderful bread and fish fritters served at the table. then there was a self-serve buffet. many vegetables,salad, rice, and chicken. i do not recall if there was fish on the buffet. you will certainly not starve even if there is no main course you can eat.i would not wait too long to make a reservation, he is constantly being recommended. if a group of 20 made a reservation ahead of you i am afraid you might be out of luck.

steve

Merv1
January 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Oh Wow! What a bargain!! At your suggestion, I have just emailed Mandoo. Looking at our itinerary, I realized that we will only be in Grenada for 7 hours (from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.). I am bummed, because this was one of the stops that I was most looking forward to - wish we had more time! I mentioned that to him in my email, gave him some ideas of what we will be looking to do, and asked for HIS suggestions given our time frame. I have no doubt that we will have a wonderful experience with him. (Hopefully he is not booked yet!) Thanks for all the great info! Mary

Grammar Goddess
February 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Hope you've been successful in booking Mandoo for your Grenada tour. Don't worry--Mandoo will make it wonderful for you no matter how much or how little time you have. One of the places that we went that I enjoyed, but haven't seen anyone else list, is the fort right there at St. George's, not far from our ship. He took us up there after lunch, not a bad walk at all despite my need for a cane; there were no other tourists there, and the views were just spectacular. We took some great photos. A beach was nearby, too, with shade and chairs with thatched umbrellas, not terribly crowded there, and it was New Year's Eve and a Sunday.

Don't know how far Grand Etang Lake is, so difficult to judge distance and time in such a mountainous country, but it's worth seeing [despite the tourists]. So many beautiful waterfalls there, too.

You'll have a great time with Mandoo, wherever you go. :)

Connie

Fleetwood
February 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM
My husband and I just got back from our Jan 9th cruise with the Sun Princess and agree our tour with Mandoo was our favouite. We were the only ones with him on the tour and he gave us so much information about his island and you can tell how much he cares about his home and the people living there. The kids love him and everyone knows him. We learned so much about spices and the history of the island from him. We highly recommend him to everyone and he responds very quickly to your e-mails. Thanks Mandoo!

dis2cruise
February 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
thanks for the report....
we will be using mandoo on feb 21 can't wait!!

cheryl

Merv1
February 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi Fleetwood! I sent Mandoo an email on Monday...still haven't heard back from him yet, regarding booking a tour with him later this year. How soon is "responds to emails quickly?" I don't want to seem pushy, but it has been 4 days without a response from him. I am concerned he didn't receive it! Thanks! :)

kpauley
February 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
You may want to contact him again. If I emailed him at night, the response was within the hour. If I emailed him in the morning, it was later in the day.

Merv1
February 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks Kathy...I will! My sister also didn't get an email I sent her that day, so maybe something funny was going on with my computer! Mary :)

Fleetwood
February 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
He e-mailed us within hours and when we e-mailed him while on board the ship to confirm our meeting place he answered again right away and that was late in the evening so I know he checks it often.

reklawr
February 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM

steve

Steve, We'll be taking this same Northern Tour route with Mandoo in Early March. Thanks for the information. :D We are really looking forward to Mandoo's tour.

Joby
February 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
We just returned from our 11 night Celebrity Galaxy cruise and did a private tour with Mandoo's substitute driver Chris.

It was just my sister, our 77 yr. old Mom and myself. Chris was very nice and very knowledgeable about the BEAUTIFUL island of Grenada!

Mandoo and Chris were waiting for us at the dock when we got off the ship at 7:45. Mandoo introduced us to Chris and off we went.

We were in a very clean A/C vehicle and Chris was wonderful to our 77 yr. old Mom.

Grenada is a true nature lover's island. We saw so many flowers, plants fruits, spices... Chris stopped and showed us cinnamin trees, cocoa, mango, nutmeg, orchids.... the list could go on forever.

We tasted wild pigeon peas, saw the Concord Falls, Grand Etang rain forest, black sand beaches, visited Grand Anse beach where a sailing competition was going on, saw villages, interesting locals....

We went to a local spot and had nutmeg ice cream (which I am now craving!), bought jelly and spices and took so many pictures.

Our day finished at 4 pm.

Mandoo has a great driver/tour guide in Chris. Don't hesitate to utilize Chris or Mandoo. Mandoo runs a first class trip!

joek
February 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
We have also just returned. From the Regal Princess, Manaus, Brazil to San Juan, PR. Mangoo gave us a delightful tour of the island that he obviously loves. He is extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken and accomodating.

mountainmare
February 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
We recently had the honor of touring Grenada with Mandoo. While other people have described the wonderful tour, I felt that it is important to recognize that this man is committed to the future of his island, the youth of his island and the future health of this planet. He gives back to the community by working with the schools to encourage the children of Grenada to keep their island special.
His insight of the relationship between tourism and ecology is a rare breath of fresh air in this make a profit world.
Because of Mandoo Granada is a place that I want to see again--and I feel that as the years pass Granada will continue to be a true bit of paradise.

SusieV
February 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
We booked an excursion with Mandoo on February 17, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The biggest hiccup was not his fault- PEOPLE, IF YOU BOOK A TOUR, HAVE THE DECENCY TO SHOW UP ON TIME!!!! We waited over half an hour for one late couple and then even drove back for them when they arrived ten minutes later. They didn't even have the grace to apologize to the rest of the group.

The other minor issue was that we had requested and paid for a private tour. I had emailed Mandoo before we left to confirm that, and he said yes. When we arrived, we were grouped in with other people from the ship. If he couldn't give us the private tour we requested, he should at least have mentioned it. We still would have kept the booking but wouldn't have felt silly wondering why all these other people were waiting with us.

Other than that, the tour was excellent. Mandoo was very friendly and knowledgeable and this was one of our best island experiences. We visited the Douglaston Spice Plantation, where we learned about cocoa and spices, then went to the Grand Etang Crater Lake and the Annandale Waterfall. Afterwards, he offered to drive the group to the beach on the house but we decided to get back on Galaxy because we were tired.

We would definitely book with Mandoo again and we strongly recommend him to others.

Aussie Gal
February 26th, 2007, 01:41 AM
We also used Mandoo when we were in Grenada in October. We had a great tour plus there were only six of us which was fantastic. It was very comfortable in the bus with the air conditioning.

He is a very knowledgeable guide and very proud of his island.

Jenne

ShannonWPB
February 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
thanks for the review, looking forward to the spice tour we booked w/ Mandoo in April

Aussie Gal
February 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I agree with everything that has been said about Mandoo. He is a gentleman and he loves his island.

Jennie

Aussie Gal
February 28th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I agree with you regarding Mandoo. He is very knowledgeable about the environment, and he does put back a lot into his community visiting schools and trying to teach the children about our planet.

We loved his tour and we loved Grenada. We would love to return but it is a long way from here - our home.

Jennie

Cruiser61
March 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM
We just returned from our Sun Princess visit to Grenada and wish to add our praise to that of others regarding this unusual man. Not only was the 7 1/2 hour tour a thorough visit to Grenada in a comfortable A/C bus, not only did we have a wonderful lunch at one of the premier plantations on the island, but this man's dedication to changing the future of children on this island through his school lectures to them about preparing for the future are to be admired AND they will be remembered by all who tour with him. I don't know who else provides guided tours of this island, but they can't be of the caliber of Mandoo. Thank you Mandoo, for this experience!!!

cdnpartsgirl
March 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
How do I contact Mando. Is it one of the excursions listed by Princess. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
Tammy

Aussie Gal
March 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Mandoo can be contacted at mandoo@grenadatours.com

You will not be disappointed with him or with the tour or the beautiful island which is his home.

Jennie

harmonyjpc
March 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Hi I just emailed mandoo and informed him we will be there in december. He informed us to book as soon as possible. He said the 1/2 day trip would be best for us. My question is my parents are going , and they are limited on their walking. DO you think they can make this tour?

thatbloominplace
March 11th, 2007, 07:40 AM
very little walking on his tours. it is mostly driving and the stopping and viewing. they should be fine.

steve

pbrady
March 17th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Tour sounds wonderful, how do I contact mandoo?

Barry H
March 25th, 2007, 09:34 PM
To get in touch with Mandoo just google Mandoo Tours Grenada.

tomstur
March 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
We were with Mandoo last Tuesday. He truly takes pride in what he does. His knowledge will amaze you and his professionalism is at the highest level. If you go to Grenada, you must book him. You will not regret it.

loveJake
March 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I really want to book with him, however I don't know which tour to book. The are 3 different routes. Which one did you take? Thanks

maier
March 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Could I ask the price?

tomstur
March 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
It was $45 each for us and worth every penny of it. Our ship, Crown Princess, was only in port for about 6 hours, so our time was limited. Mandoo made sure every minute was well spent. When you email him, let him know how long you have and he will reccomend which route he thinks you will enjoy most. Don't even question it or worry about it. This is one of the most professional tour guides you will ever meet. You will be so much more educated about Grenada than you would have ever thought.

loveJake
March 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I e-mailed him yesterday and already have a reply. He sugguest which route to take, I was really impressed how fast he got back to me. The price was $45. Thanks

JXR
March 31st, 2007, 10:26 PM
It was $45 each for us and worth every penny of it. Our ship, Crown Princess, was only in port for about 6 hours, so our time was limited. Mandoo made sure every minute was well spent. When you email him, let him know how long you have and he will reccomend which route he thinks you will enjoy most. Don't even question it or worry about it. This is one of the most professional tour guides you will ever meet. You will be so much more educated about Grenada than you would have ever thought.

Thanks for reassuring me, I too am booked with Mandoo, and on the Crown sailing. I was scared that our time in port might be too short for an Independent tour. Now, I see that you've done it.

How much time did you have prior to the ship departing. Was it too rushed?

Joanne

tomstur
April 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Mandoo has this itnerary down pat. You might feel like your a little rushed because of how much ground you cover and how much information Mandoo gives you. But he utilizes every second of your time. We were back at the Crown about 30 minutes before deadline. You will have a great time.

Cruisingoose
April 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Can someone post Mandoo's e-mail address or his website?

JXR
April 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hi e-mail is mandoo@grenadatours.com

Will post a review of my tour when I get back. Will be in Grenada May 1.

Joanne

mlolson
April 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
First time I booked an independent tour and it worked out great. Mandoo was an excellent tour guide. Only complaint was that the windows in the back of the bus rattled so bad that we had a hard time hearing sometimes. Mandoo was accomodating by talking louder but I would sit up front if at all possible. This island had the most hawkers of all the island that we visited on our 10 day cruise but Mandoo made us aware of them in advance.

WynterSong
May 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM
I just toured with Mandoo in March, he was absolutely the best. His van was clean, comfortable, well maintained. The pride he feels for his island and people shows in all that he does, I came away educated and concerned for the eco system and folks that live there than I ever would have on any other tour. He assisted us with purchases and translations, yet never once pressured anyone to buy anything from the locals, just lended a helping hand when needed. He was informative, polite and a easy to understand. I would highly recommend him - he adjusts the tour to however much time you have. Please listen with your hearts and minds to what he says, you take a bit of the island home with you, instead of just a few pictures or postcards soon forgotten! Buy some of the spices - the aroma and taste can not be beat!

tomstur
May 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Everything you say is 100% True! And on top of all that, he is one of the smartest individuals you will ever meet. It's amazing to hear his stories about his education and growing up in Grenada. For those of you that go to Grenada and book someone else for your tour, I just don't see how it could be better than Mandoo.

Olwyn
May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Would this tour be suitable for a 3 year old girl? She will be almost 4, but we would love to do this and are worried that she would be bored?
Thanks!
Olwyn

glen tev
May 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Just did Mandoos tour on 4/29 with our 4 yr and 2 yr old.What a great trip.Went to the spice plantation,Great Etang lake and the Annadale waterfalls.Mandoo stoped and got us fresh bannanas(best i ever had)Then took our kids with him to the edge of the forest where he called the monkeys out of the trees for our kids to feed.Absolutly unbelievable pictures.Mandoo was very accomodating with the kids,very knowledgable and very passionate about his island.Theres a lot of hawkers on the island at everystop but all seem to know mandoo and most kept there distance knowing this guy is no nonsense.Very proffesional with a great sense of humor who actually enjoys engaging his passengers in debate whether it be politics,the enviroment(his biggest passion)Can't go wrong with this tour.Money well spent and lifetime memorys.Would love to go back and do his tour again.

tomstur
May 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I think it would be fine to take a child on this tour. Mandoo is so attentive and considerate that he will make you feel comfortable. The only worry you might have is if the children talk or make noise as the other guest are trying to listen to a world of information from Mandoo. That would be my biggest concern.

JXR
May 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Grenada was definitely the highlight of my Crown Cruise. Absolutely loved Mandoo. Cannot say enough good things about him. Too bad our time there was so limited. Crown only docks there from 9am - 2pm.

Joanne

LA_FadeAway
May 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I agree that he must be the best guide on that island! He's also an excellent driver too I might add. Even my husband, who really wanted to do the river tubing instead, was really glad that we took that tour. Don't second guess this one!

JNCRUISEBUMS
May 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yes he took us on a spice tour it was great!
ANd Thenford Grey in St Kitts was wonderful!

PLEASE, COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME INFO ON THENFORD GREY AND HOW TO CONTACT HIM AND WHAT YOU DID ON ST. KITTS? THANKS SO MUCH..NANCIE@AUSTIN.RR.COM

LA_FadeAway
May 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Look on the St. Kitts board. There is lots of info on Thenford Grey there.

houstontaylor
July 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
how do you get in touch with him??? contact info?

SusieCruiser
July 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
He is in St Kitts- http://**********************
I can say that Thenford was a gentleman and a wonderful guide! He did whatever we asked of him!
He took us all over st kitts!
and for Grenada Mandoo and his brother are GREAT!