PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Cruises?

WorldCruzer
December 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Anybody know anything about the Jazz cruises? Any line is ok but I'm trying to find sailings for 2007.

bill243
January 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Several of my friends and I are going on Crystal Symphony Dec 1-8, roundtrip out of Miami. It's more expensive than most lines but we have always liked Crystal.

Entertainers listed as follows:

Banu Gibson & Ms. Yve Evans, Vocalists

Warren Vache, Duke Heitger & Bryan Shaw, Trumpet

Kenny Darven, Frank Roberscheuten, Antti Sarpila, Bob Draga & Pieter Meijers, Reeds

Bill Allred & John Allred, Trombone

Bucky Pizzarelli & Howard Alden, Guitar

Nicki Parrott & Clive Collins, Bass

Rossano Sportiello, Randy Morris & David Boeddinghaus, Piano

Jake Hanna, Butch Miles & Bert Dahlander, Drums

WorldCruzer
January 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks. I'm particuarly interested in cruises up until August (although I will look into the December one). If anyone has knowledge of any, please post.

Turtle44
January 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Just returned from The Smooth Jazz Cruise put on by Jazz Cruises, LLC. They use the Holland America cruise line. This was my fourth, and I already signed up for next year. There's a North Sea Jazz Cruise in July. It's on the Rotterdam and going to the Netherlands. Never been on the North Sea cruise, but the host, Marcus Miller, was an artist on our cruise, and he was phenomenal.Good luck and happy cruising.Turtle

shipchaser
January 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM
My husband and I were scheduled to go on NCL Sun on 12/3/07, jazz cruise. However, due to health problems we had to cancel. Very disappointed. Would like to know of any cruises in 2007. Thanks. Margie and Lou

WorldCruzer
February 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Just returned from The Smooth Jazz Cruise put on by Jazz Cruises, LLC. They use the Holland America cruise line. This was my fourth, and I already signed up for next year. There's a North Sea Jazz Cruise in July. It's on the Rotterdam and going to the Netherlands. Never been on the North Sea cruise, but the host, Marcus Miller, was an artist on our cruise, and he was phenomenal.Good luck and happy cruising.Turtle

Ah shucks! You had me excited as I would do a Jazz cruise in July but I prefer it leave from the states as it will get a little over budget if we had to fly to the Europe area. Anybody have listings for a Jazz cruise in the US up until August?

AZ Greg
February 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Cruzer,

I've been keeping an eye out for you and I know of 6 Jazz cruises that sail every year. Most of the cruises are between Nov. and Feb. The only one during the period that you are looking for is the North Sea cruise, and it doesn't sail from the US. I would keep an eye on Smooth Jazz LLC, they are up to 4 jazz charters a year and they have the formula down to a science. They might continue to add charters. I've been on 2 and they were both first class.

I'll kee my eyes and ears open for you.

burlingtoncruiser
February 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
This is not exactly what you asked for, but I'll give you the info anyway - in case it's of interest.

We just arranged a jazz cruise for Jan. 5 - 15, 2008. It's on Holland America's Maasdam - it's celebrating the 25th Anniversary of JazzSea Cruises.

It leaves from Ft. Lauderdale to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Martinique, Tortola and Half Moon Cay.

Buck Creek, Climax, Grand Dominion, Bob SchulzFrisco Jazz, Jean Kittrell & The St. Louis Rivermen, and there are several more listed.

We've sailed on Holland America's Amsterdam and loved it.

The phone number for Jazzsea Cruises is 1-800-323-3881

I spoke with a really helpful lady there and made the arrangements. Good prices as well.

Hope this might help.

burlingtoncruiser
February 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I forgot to mention that you can only book this cruise through JazzSea - there is a paragraph mentioning that they will NOT work with other t/a etc.

burlingtoncruiser
February 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I apologize - I realized in the middle of the night last night that there should be no mention of particular companies or ads, etc on the boards.

As I can't edit it out - if there is a way - I haven't found it yet, I can only apologize and promise not to do it again.....

BC:o

WorldCruzer
February 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cruzer,

I've been keeping an eye out for you and I know of 6 Jazz cruises that sail every year. Most of the cruises are between Nov. and Feb. The only one during the period that you are looking for is the North Sea cruise, and it doesn't sail from the US. I would keep an eye on Smooth Jazz LLC, they are up to 4 jazz charters a year and they have the formula down to a science. They might continue to add charters. I've been on 2 and they were both first class.

I'll kee my eyes and ears open for you.

Thanks! :D Whats wrong with a summer jazz cruise! I'm-a Dyin' for one! :cool:

jazzyman
February 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Hi All
This year I just completed my first cruise from Miami-Panama-LA 16 days on Oceania-casual ,small 700 passengers,open dining

So now that I am hook I would like to combine the two passions Jazz with Cruising and I have see the HA JazzCruises site and their artists are super for all of their sailings in late o7 and 08 I love it all smooth straight ahead latin.
7 days is two short may have to get back to back ones.

OK these cruises is it a different type of crowd that the traditional sailings, maybe younger, more party animals
Is it more open ,less dress code, how is it presented?

The entainement on my first cruise was my only let down

Turtle Will I enjoy myself? are the arists accessable

The other one for North Sea also look like one to die for.

Looking forward to responses

By the way I am passion about jazz and have 15 jazz web sites

jazzyman
www.chetbaker.net (http://www.chetbaker.net)

hattack
February 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
you'll LOVE the Smooth Jazz cruises..the artist are very accessible and there are several planned events that give you chances to meet,greet, interact and take pictures..The unwritten request is if during the day you see them with their families is to respect their privacy...they have theme nights but the dress code pretty much follows the ship's normal pattern

The best part is the late night jam sessions and the on deck midnight bbq's and jam sessions.

If you love jazz and cruising, you will "over dose"...IMHO, well worth the premuim that you pay,,,I always rationalize the additional cost to my GF by telling her if we went to see these artist over the course of the year at the local jazz clubs, it would cost us about the same

cruiseguyinorl
February 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
you should look at JazzFest at Sea. It leaves October 28th for 7 nights to the Western Caribbean. Departs from Ft Lauderdale on Holland America's Westerdam. It's featuring the following artists:

Vocalists Banu Gibson and Terry Blaine
Special Guests Warren Vache and John Allred
Tom Saunders Midwest All-Stars with Tom Saunders, CHuck Hedges, Terry Myers, Russ Phillips, Johnny Varro, Paul Keller and VInce Bartels
JazzFest at Sea All-Stars with Allan Vache, David Jones, John Cocuzzi, Mark Shane, Bob Leary, Phil Flanigan and Ed Metz Jr
The Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band with Bria Skonberg, Claire McKenna, Emily Asher, Shannon Thue, Georgia Korba, Shelley Park and Beth GoodfellowThough I know the moderators don't like links or phone numbers, it is not a Holland America sponsored event. So if you are interested in JazzFest at Sea, you can look them up by that name online or call 800-654-8090 as you would have to book with them. This is year number four with them and it only gets better each year. As a matter of fact, I hear the 2008 JazzFest at Sea will be going to Aruba. Can't wait!

monty_11
February 22nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
I just heard about this one on the radio today.

11 night Fall Alaska & Coastal cruise from Vancouver, sailing September 21st, 2007 on Holland America's Volendam.

Includes: 11 night cruise, minimum of 6 performances/chat sessions with Guido Basso & the All Stars, airfare from Toronto, all meals & snacks each while on board the ship, an exclusive Smooth Sailings' Cocktail Party with the entertainers, Onboard activities & amenities and Broadway style shows & entertainment.

I'm not sure what other musicians will be on this cruise but the website www dot i love cruising dot com has contact info if you want to enquire. Guido is a great musician and I'd love to hear him play live again. Hey, my birthday's that week, maybe I'll give myself a present this year :D

Peter.

chrismch
March 2nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
From what I can gather, summer jazz cruises are in Europe. The ones in the Caribbean are usually in Jan or in the autumn. If you really need a jazz fix go to New Orleans. They have great jazz clubs, great food and superb reasonably priced food. We've been to the spring Jazz fest there and it was great. I'm sure there are lots of other cities with jazz fests (ie. San Antonio, TX in Sept, Vancouver BC in June, L.A. in June etc) go for the weekend and then stay to see some of the other local artists. :p

hattack
March 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Just Announced..Capital Jazz Fest At Sea..full charter on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore to Bermuda October 14th-19th, 2007. Artist include Ledisi, Kim Waters, Lalah Hathaway, Pieces of a Dream, Alex Bugnon, Ken Ford, Will Downing,Boney James, Down To the Bone

Might be worth checking into

retiredldo
March 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hattack can you give me a little more insight to the smooth jazz cruise what would a normal night of entertainment me dress code same as a normal cruise on HAL any other thoughts would be appreciated

Pete

hattack
March 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Pete..on the charter smooth jazz cruises that I have been on, the guest are given lanyards to indicate whether you are with group A or B. If group A is assigned early seating, while A is eating B is at the main show and then vice/versa. The main entertainment acts are arranged as such that everyone gets to see all the acts during the course of the week, but not on the same night. Then after the second show each night, there is usually a late all star jam session (sometimes on deck which is really cool) where all the artist sit in on the jam sessions and very often passengers who bring their instruments can sit in with the stars (and that offer is extended to the crew, which IMHO, was awesome, our cabin steward plays a mean sax). The dress code is driven by the promoters (since it is a full charter), but usually they have the standard formal night which is the first full day at sea..The designated host usually does his/her show the last night at sea which includes a grand finale with all of the artist...During the day there are various events (Dave Benoit making martini's,Wayman Tisdale (about 6'8 and Jonathan Butler (about 5'4) playing on the same pick up basketball team game to 21 with the guest, Patti Austin hosting a for women only session talking about being over 40, or my favorite session featuring the sidemen of smooth jazz) a Q&A session with the artist including picture/autograph signings)...On one or two evenings, the artists will have a CD release party, or hold a special session which is open only to their fan clubs..There is an unwritten rule that indicates that during the day when the artist are with their families on deck or shore, that you respect their privacy, which everyone does, but the artist are generally just so nice and down to earth, that they will often approach the guest and engage in dialogue. I happen to be wearing my New Orleans Special Olympics teeshirt and discovered that Brian Culbertson is a huge supporter of Special Olympics. When the entire ship consist of smooth jazz fans it makes the entire week sooooooo special and the connection to the artist sooooooo special IMHO, it spoils one to take a "normal" cruise again. These smooth jazz cruises have such a high repeat business that usually towards the end of the week, the promoters announce who's on the ship next year and about 75% of the cabins are booked by repeating guest before the end of the cruise. My GF (who loves to cruise but prior to going on our first smooth jazz charter, was not a smoooth jazz fan) now has become hooked. Well worth the premium that the promoter charges. My goal is to try to go on the North Sea Jazz Cruise in July hosted by Marcus Miller. Every artist on the ship has either been nominated or won a Jazz Grammy and the best part is HAL Rotterdam serves as your hotel and they have a VIP package to the North Sea Jazz Festival held in Rotterdam. Living in New Orleans I attend the N.O. Jazz and Music Festival every year, and my dream has always been to attend a major European summer Jazz Festival, so I will be able to accomplish two goals in one setting. You'll love the smooth jazz charters .

Final thought..while the artist are performing you cannot take pictures with your own cameras or record the performances. However the promoter has several professional photographers that do that and you can purchase copies. There are however, ample opportunites thru out the week to take pictures in informal settings with the artist and have them sign the official poster. If you missed the concert or all night jam sessions, you can watch them the next day in your cabin on the close curcuit tv. Very often there will be special concerts of the artist in your daily port of call. The ship's crew really seem to enjoy the guest more then on a normal cruise, maybe it's because smooth jazz cruisers are just so mellow from being immersed in the music and the artist all week. Usually all tips etc, are prepaid as part of the package. Also very often, there is a pre cruise concert the night before the ship sails featuring both the artist that will be on the ship and one major performer not on the ship, hosted by the local smooth jazz radio station. Just this past January, before Brian Culbertson's All Star cruise out of Galveston, the pre cruise concert featured George Benson

retiredldo
March 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hattack thanks for the informative response we have been on numerous cruises and matter of fact just got off the westerdam a couple of weeks ago but wanted to try the smooth jazz cruise. Normal cruises 2 formal nights, I know that you alluded to that but is there just one, what did you see for the dress code, again normally a tux for me but what was the majority in your estimation. Is there other entertainment that the ship would put on such as in the ocean bar, crowes nest etc. Or is that all shut down. Other than the jam sessions entertainment etc, for the most part it is a normal cruise routine ? How did you find out about the pre cruise show, we always go down a day or two before our trip and that would be great.

I saw that or actually asked that question when I was booking so the tip of about 10 per person per day is included normal ship charges for a cruise Of course one can tip extra if they so desire

Thanks again

retiredldo
March 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Oh you mentioned NO special olympics, I was down there with the red cross for 4.5 weeks after Katrina worked for a couple of weeks warehousing out of Walker second trip down I was based out of Jenna and Ferret as our distribution site

hattack
March 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
oh sure there are tons of other normal cruise activities during the day and alternate entertainment in the evening in the smaller lounges (remember main lounge is reserved for the name acts on the ship)..you are safe if you pack your warobefor a normal 7 night cruise, but they do have special dress up theme nights (mardi gras, 60's etc)..as far as the pre cruise concerts, it's generally promoted both on the smooth jazz stations and the specific websites and various jazz publications (Smooth Jazz News, Jazz Time etc)

remember, many of the guest on a chartered smooth jazz cruise, are on a cruise for the first time and would not have considered a cruise if it was not for the artist onboard, so the cruiselines realize they have an excellent opportunity to showcase their product and induce guest to come back and cruise them again on a "normal" cruise at an affordable price. Believe it or not even the most hard core smooth jazz cruiser needs 1-2 nights of a different form of entertainment,but I have yet to meet one onboard (VBG)..

If you are thinking about going on a smooth jazz charter but not sure, you might check out some cruises that are not a full charter which will give you the best of both worlds..

thanks for coming to New Orleans to help us with the recovery..there is still so much work to do..I think when more people actually come down and spend some time, they will have a greater appreciation of how widespread the destruction was and how much is still so much needed

retiredldo
March 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
hattack we are booked on the 2008 trip and veru excited but i was curious about the transition from a normal cruise if you will to a charter and you answered those questions and as you said if there is smooth jazz somewhere why would I need an alternate LOL

Yes even though I only spent a small snippet of time down there, being back up here in NH and Mass it is interesting how it is forgotten and just how much damage was incurred. I rememberd on or about the 12 of sept we went into NO and looking out over the interstate and nothing was moving no sounds, no folks no infrastructure you dont forget those things that is for sure

I think the ship for the smooth jazz trip is excellent as well as the itinerary

Pete

hattack
March 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Pete..just curious, which smooth jazz cruise are you booked on ?

The sad thing about my beloved New Orleans is that the silence you talked about is still here when you go in New Orleans East. There are just so many issues to overcome but I have faith that the city will come back, hopefully much better then pre Katrina

I grew up in upstate New York very near the border of NH and MAS (near Albany) so I am very familiar with your area

retiredldo
March 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
The Waymon Tisdale cruise Westerdam Jan 20-28th I would have to look up on my map but we drove down from walker and I think it was 510 or 610 but nonetheless we didnt quite get all the way into New orleans, although we could have it was like something from a movie but even tougher was the second time down, we got to go over to the lower 9th ward as they had just opened that area up and my goodness that was hard to belive. It looked worst than some areas in viet nam

hattack
March 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Wayman Tisdale's cruise is going to be super!! If I cannot go on the North Sea Jazz Cruise in July, then I will book Tisdale's. Have you ever been to Aruba before ? Just finish loading onto my MP3 all the artist that will be on all the Smooth Jazz Cruises (North Sea, Tisdale's,Dave Koz's, Brian Culbertson's) so I'll be set when it comes to cruise time

One of the reason's for the slow recovery in New Orleans is due to the insurance issues and the slow pace of the Road Home Program and the lack of license contracters. If something doesn't change for the positve soon, many life long residents will move away, which will be sad, because this city is soooo special.

I'll know by the end of the month whether I will be able to do the North Sea in July. If not, I'll see you in January and I'll buy drinks for you and your significant others on deck as my way of saying thank you for helping with the recovery

retiredldo
March 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Yes we have been to the ports aruba curaco and half moon cay We normally rent a car in aruba and take off and see as many of the beaches as possible curaco not sure what we are going to do there. Half moon cay we go way down to the left and snorkle there use to be better or fair snorkeling right near where the tenders come in but I think they have screwed it up some how

It was a good that this year the hurricane season was light reading today where they moved yet another FEMA trailer park oh well I guess

Pete

hattack
March 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM
my favorite part of cruising to caruco, is when you first cruise in and see all the different color houses which reminds me of Holland

all over the local news today that the army corp of engineers had installed faulty pumps last year so if we had been hit with another major storm, the pumps would have failed..needless to say with the next hurricane season less than 75 days away, this was not the news we needed to hear..we were lucky last hurricane season, don't know if we will be so lucky again..then we just had the tornado hit 2 weeks ago so with the number of folks in FEMA trailers still, things are not good..jefferson parish has issued a notice to all citizens in fema trailers that they must be out of the trailers by april 1st or face major fines...i think it's more of a political ploy

wonder if we will be in aruba during their annual music festival. that would be very nice indeed...think i'll have to look it up as a way to divert my attention

retiredldo
March 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I was reading that about the pumps and thought like you did, last year was a breeze but what if

Today the temp in nH was just about 72 degrees and fri and sat coming up in the thirtys with snow stuff oh well

I also coached softball at a tournament in abbeyville a few years ago

Elizabeth K.
May 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I just saw the web site. My husband is a huge jazz fan and a player. We are very interested in checking out the the European festivals in 2008 and then I saw the cruise:D ! Looks fantastic. I've been to the jazzcruise website. Looks reputable. Am usually pretty cautious with online booking.

It would be a huge splurge for us. From what I can see the caribbean one in Nov. is pretty full where as the N. Sea one for this July looks to have lots of availability in most categories.

Keep the feedback coming:)

Hattack, have been to NO jazz fest 3 times, last one being the year of Katrina. How's attendance been? Hope the recovery continues.

Elizabeth K.

hattack
May 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM
this year's Jazz Fest was very well attended (due in part to the number of big name acts), but not near the numbers of pre Katrina, plus the overall walk up price is getting higher ..however, Shell Corporation has agreed to be a corporate sponsor which will help alot in the near future, so I invite you to come on down for next years

The North Sea Jazz cruise still has cabins for sale (at a clearing price of 2K p/p for an inside) but the airfare will be higher but you might check on the website..The line up for the North Sea Jazz Festival has just been announced and it looks awesome !!!!! If you book the cruise you get VIP treatment at the Jazz Fest. I have never been to a European Jazz Festival before (one of my life's dreams) and I have never cruised to that part of the world so being able to go on the cruise appeals to me..It's still up in the air because of my job situation but I pray that God will come thru and provide a way

Both Dave Koz's and Wayman Tisdale's cruises are close to sell outs (and they will sell out before very long), so you may want to consider both of them. I suspect Wayman's cruise will be special because it will be his first public performance since the announcement of his cancer, so that will be special and will have lots of surprise guest performing, plus it goes to Aruba which is my favorite caribbean island and all day at HMC..I am so upset because this year it is the same week as Brian Culbertson's allstar cruise on the Elation out of San Diego. Since Brian's cruise was my first smooth jazz cruise I feel a loyalty to him...You may also want to check out the Capitol Jazz Cruise out of Baltimore in October on Royal Caribbean going to Bermuda for 5 days. Awesome line up at very affordable prices for a full charter

New Orleans recovery is very very very slow with lots of work still to be done but please keep us in your prayers and hope to see you on a full charter smooth jazz cruise soon. I'll let you know if I go on the North Sea one. As an added bonus the ship leaves out of Copenhagen on the first day of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival and ends on a Tuesday (17th) and is a short plane hop over to the last weekend of Montreux. WOW !!!

Elizabeth K.
May 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks Hattack,

I'll check out the Captitol Jazz Cruise to Bermuda you mentioned. We really can't book one this year tho. And DH is more a fan of the "classics" when it comes to jazz so he'd be less interested in the smooth jazz cruise. He works for the University and can most easily take vacation during their breaks.

I wonder when the prices dropped for the North Sea Cruise?

We saw a film at a film fest last March called Tim's Island that was shot during Katrina by some people who stayed together in one guys house, a converted warehouse, in NO. He was well equipped with a generator, a boat and a canoe. It was filmed over 8 days. Very incredible to see.

Thanks again:)

Elizabeth

hattack
May 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
If your DH is a fan of classic jazz then you should seriously consider "thejazzcruise" you can find it on the same website that sponsors both the northsea and dave/wayman's charters which is very much oriented towards the classic traditional jazz gendre. Your DH and my GF would get along with each other very well, or as my GF is very fond of saying "smooth jazz is not real jazz" but then I always bring up Grover Washington JR, and that seems to quiet her down. She is doing her best to get me to go on that one (which is on the Westerdam and is doing a back to back with the Dave Koz smooth jazz charter). And then of course there is the" latin jazz cruise" on the Westerdam the week after Wayman's cruise (now, that would be some back to back cruising and overdosing on great music").

The beauty of the North Sea Jazz Cruise is that it is the perfect blending of traditional jazz (McCoy Tyner Trio, David Sanborn, Ulf Walkernius (he played guitar in the Oscar Peterson Quartet)and Roy Hargrove Quintet), some new wave jazz (Herbie Hancock, Marcus Miller, James Carter, Medeski,Scofiel, Wood), some great jazz vocalist (Dee Dee Bridgewater and Roberta Gambarni Quartet (Carter, Tyner,Gambarni and Hargrove were all at Jazz Fest this year and were absolutely awesome !!! was the perfect "teaser" for the upcoming cruise but my GF can't figure out why I would want to see them again in 3 months and pay more $$$$ for) and the smooth jazz representative non other then the great Kirk Whalum. Lionel Loueke will represent the emerging jazz sounds from South Africa (my other dream jazz experience is to attend the South African Jazz Festival in March 2008). Every artist on the cruise has either won or been nominated for a Jazz Grammy.

At the North sea festival in Rotterdam will be Sly and the Family Stone. I have not seen them live since Woodstock in 1969 (but that's a posting for another time).

Hope your husband's schedule will allow you both to do at least one jazz cruise. I did not evacuate during Katrina and the only saving grace during the actual storm was I had downloaded my MP3 player with jazz and listen to it while the wind was blowing 150 mph. Jazz kept my sanity !!

jazzsea
May 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Check out jazzdagen.com or jazzsea.com. Both have Dixieland cruises during the year.

hattack
June 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Just received this month's (June) edition of JazzTimes and there is a great article (page 73) entitled "Swing @ Sea" about full charter Jazz Cruises

VAMAMA
June 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
We've been on 3 jazz cruises and have to say they are far superior to the regualr cruises in that you access to the artists, you eat, and play with them for 7 days. We were blown away the first time we went in 2005, and it's only gotten better each year. they have different types of jazz cruises. there is the www.smoothjazzcruise.com (http://www.smoothjazzcruise.com) which will have links to the other jazz and latin music cruises. They are nationally known recording artists. The Dave Koz cruise leaving out of Fort Lauderdale in November is the next one I believe. If you go once, you'll be hooked. It's expensive, but it is worth every penny of it. We're booked for our fourth jazz cruise in January '08.

VA Deb

hattack
June 9th, 2007, 03:04 AM
deb...which one are you going on in January 08..the jazz cruise or Wayman Tisdale's smooth jazz cruise or Brian Culbertson's AllStar Smooth Jazz Cruise

jazzsea
July 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
We have a cruise scheduled for July 25, 2008. Sails round trip from Seattle, WA to Alaska. I'm checking the trade papers to see if anyone is offering anything this summer.

retiredldo
July 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Just wondering someone metioned there was some sort of smooth jazz night that a radio station sponsored before last years smooth jazz cruise out of FLL any insight

hattack
July 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
not sure about last year but I'm checking with them about the upcoming Dave Koz charter Nov 4th thru 11th..I do know that for the Brian Culbertson All Star Cruise the last two years on the Conquest out of Galveston there were huge pre cruise concerts..two years ago it feature Al Jarreau and Boney James, last year George Benson (awesome !!!!)

There is a great jazz club in Ft Lauderdal call Jazziz Bistros locted inside the Hard Rock Hotel..you might check out their website, they have not posted which jazz artist will be performing that weekend but I'm quite sure alot of us will be there on saturday night

hope to see you onboard

retiredldo
July 11th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks I will book mark that site, we are flying down on airtran and get there about 1130 on sat a direct flight from boston and then our return is a direct flight as well not bad at all and only 89 bucks each way yee ha I know that on other cruises they have a cruise critic get together and last year on the westerdam the ship provided cookies, coffee, tea water etc wonder if we should attempt that

hattack
July 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I'm in conversations with the jazz club so I'll keep you posted to include you in our group..

jazzyman
July 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
First off
Here are some first reviews of the North Sea Jazz cruise posted here
Sounds like a bit uneven and expensive
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=26284

Koz and Tisdale and the straight ahead trips look really cool
I heard the Latin trip was cancelled

I had my first cruise last year and the entertainment was not very good
Could some give me a overview of what to expect on these type of cruises

Is it less formal ie no dress up which I prefer
Old or Young? etc

Harve
www.chetbaker.net (http://www.chetbaker.net)
www.jazztube.com (http://www.jazztube.com)

hattack
July 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
wow..thanks for sharing the website so I can follow the cruise..I really wanted to go on that one but logistics could not be worked out and after reading this review it might be a wise thing to let them work out their first year growing pains

the folks that do the Koz and Tisdale charters have been doing them for years and have it down to a science..it's much more relaxed and less formal but I got dressed up anyway on captain's night because I have a beautiful woman who loves to dress up and I love to keep her happy (VBG)

you might look at also the jazz cruise sponsored by the same folks the week of 11/11-11/18

cruiseguyinorl
July 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Somewhere back in the thread someone spoke about the best of cruising and of jazz when the ship isn't a full charter. There is something to be said for that. The week prior to the Koz cruise (October 28th) on the Westerdam there is the JazzFest at Sea. It features many professional trad and classic jazz players and music directly from New Orleans in the form of Banu Gibson. There is still availability and can been seen on the website of the same name.

Also, just found out that the Koz group has chartered the Westerdam for next year's cruise too on November 2nd.

hattack
July 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I have an interesting perspective on when it's a 50-50 deal..I ws on the Conquest out of Galveston in Nov 2005, when the first All Star smooth jazz cruise was launched and it was not a full charter....it presented many logistical nightmares (but not to the jazz group, because we could do both, but the non smooth jazz group could not participate)..we had the entire first seating for dinner (which upset the non jazz group)..had full use of the main show room at 8 pm every night (which forced the regular group to do their shows at 11pm, again they were upset) and we also had the largest small room for the all night jam sessions from 11pm thru 2 am (which was not large enough to hold all the jazz folks)...I would say based upon that experience, I would elect not to do the 50-50 but much prefer when the entire ship is charter just for the music..the lanyards identified the jazz folks and there was some tension between the two groups..the prime issue was the non jazz folks wanted to pay to attend the events, and of course the promoters did not allow that..I understand it went alittle better the 2nd year, but on the 3rd year (next january) the promoter did a full charter on the Elation out of San Diego, which I think will be much more condusive..in defense of Carnival, the entire ship board staff did an outstanding job to the last minute swith due to Katrina

Be careful, the number one issue was that the cruise line did not let the non jazz cruisers know that the large group was on it and would alter several aspects of their cruise..I heard again and again from the non cruisers that if they had known they would have switched weeks or ships..

Now, if this cruise on the 28th, is no difference in price, then it's an awesome deal and I might look into it, since I love new orleans jazz..I'll check out the website

hattack
July 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
since it was just announced that Brian Culbertson will not be hosting the All Star Cruise on the Elation in January (Norman Brown will be the host), it would not surprise me to see Brian surface as the co-host for Wayman Tisdale's Smooth Jazz Cruise on the Westerdam in January. Wayman is recovering from cancer and his cruise will be his first public appearance, and Brian was an incredible host on his own cruise last year on the Conquest, and would take alot of pressure off Wayman

If that comes to being, that cruise will be the Smooth Jazz Cruise of the century

retiredldo
July 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
interesting on the dress the folks cruising HAL normally follow the dress code better than the other lines, but then again who knows how many of the folks that cruise HAL on a regular basis will be on this trip. We will dress for the formal nights always have and always will that is what makes part of the fun of cruising. Last year on the W dam it was a great trip not the smooth jazz trip just a normal cruise

mullr
July 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Do you have more info on the cruise? I have not been able to get much information on this cruise, as to whether it is a full ship charter. We would like to get a reservation because we really like jazz and the 10 days sounds great.

hattack
July 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
tell me more about this 10 day cruise ? what dates, featured artist etc and I'll see if I can find out more

mullr
July 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
It is a 10 day cruise on the Maasdam sailing on 01/10/08.

hattack
July 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
not showing anything on my normal internet jazz websites..is this a full charter or is it a large group..any idea on which jazz artist are on the ship ?

AZ Greg
July 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Wow, itís been a while since Iíve posted, but itís great to see this thread still going strong and the number of people excited about jazz cruising.

On the Maasdam cruise, the entire ship was chartered for 1/5-15/08 by a group called JazzSea. They have a website by the same name, just add a dot com and you will find the line up and information on the 2 cruises they offer each year. Looks like a Dixieland line up. More jazz cruising choices for us and I think thatís a good thing.

Hattack, I like the sound of that jazz club at the Hard Rock. Sounds like a great place for pre-cruise dinner, drinks and music. Keep us informed on who is performing, the wife and I are interested in checking it out. I took a look and its only 4 miles from the hotel we normally stay in. By the way, we have always booked our pre-cruise stay through the Smooth Jazz Cruise folks and we have always been in the same hotel with the performers. I have to admit in í06 on our first jazz cruise, I was hooked the night before the cruise when the wife and I spent 2-3 hours in the hotel lounge having drinks and talking about everything from the NFL playoffs to the future of jazz music with Jeff Kashiwa, Kim Waters, Warren Hill and others. We did the same thing this year, but a trip to the jazz club in í08 sounds like fun.

Harve, thanks for that link to the North Sea info. I enjoyed reading the reports. I hope that gentleman Baldassari is on the Jan. cruise. Iíd like to buy him a drink and hear some of his stories. Sounds like they had their hands full and pulled it off without the cruisers noticing. As far as the Smooth Jazz Cruise in Jan., itís definitely laid back and less formal, and you donít have to worry about the entertainment being good. Since it is a full charter the chartering company sets the standards. Instead of the traditional 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise, we only had 1 formal night in the dining room, all other nights were casual. In í06 one of our tablemates came to dinner in camp shirt or polo and a nice pair of shorts. I think it was the second or third night before I noticed he was wearing shorts. Just like with the other passengers, we had an instant bond with the music and it didnít matter what you were wearing. As fare as the age spread on our cruises there were very few kids, I know Euge Groove had his kids and so did Peter White, but not very many passengers with kids. The adults ranged from 20ís to 80ís, and everybody had a great time.

I see you guys have heard about Culbertson not hosting his All Star Cruise in í08. The PC explanation on the street is the BC had to pull out due to a scheduling conflict. Not sure how as the host of your own cruise, you would allow a scheduling conflict to come up. I feel for the new promoters that have to book performers for a cruise that is about 6 months away, and also the people that are booked with final payments coming due and no real line up of performers. It sounds like a real mess. I went to BCís website and a lot of his fans that know about him pulling out are canceling their booking. I hope that the new promoters can pull this cruise together by signing some solid performers and by reviewing their pricing. I thought the prices they were quoting for a 5 day cruise, on an older Carnival ship, that only stopped in Cabo were ridicules. I also wish they werenít competing with the Smooth Jazz Cruise in January.

Well folks I have some honey-doís that I need to take care of. To those of you on the Smooth Jazz Cruise in Jan. Iím looking forward to sharing a week of jazz, drink, food and fun with you all.

182 and counting down.

hattack
July 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Greg..thanks for the additional information about the Maasdam,..I'll keep you posted about the pre cruise jazz club..it looks like with Brian pulling out of his cruise, I will finalize plans for Wayman's cruise around my birthday in early august (hopefully they will have an inside cabin left)my cruise partner who happens to live in San Diego and loves Brian, has a theory that he will wind up as co-host with Wayman to help ease the load since Wayman is recovering from cancer...I understand the change of promoters for the All Star cruise might wind up being a good thing and I suspect they will lower their prices significantly depending upon the line up they can muster..as far as the North Sea cruise was concern, usually when it's the first year there are kinks to be worked out so I suspect if they do it next year it will be much better..I thought it was strange that the seas were rough in the summer in that part of the world...if I had the time and the funds I would really do the back to back charters in November with Dave Koz and friends and then the Jazz Cruise

hopefully, see you in January on the Westerdam..I love that line up and I love Aruba and HMC..doesn't get much better then that

dark_eyez
July 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Wayman is recovering from cancer and his cruise will be his first public appearance"

Actually, Wayman's 1st public appearance was at the Tulsa International Mayfest on Saturday, May 19th, 2007. Here's one of the write-ups. Click on this link and do a FIND on the word "Mayfest":
http://www.fontanadistribution.com/breakingnews.htm

My husband and I were on the Warren Hill Smooth Jazz Cruise 2004, 2005, 2006 and the Smooth Jazz Cruise hosted by Wayman Tisdale in Jan. 2007. To me... the Smooth Jazz Cruise of the century was the one in 2006 (Brian Culbertson was one of the performers). It was simply incredible from the service to the food to the entertainment to the cruise itinerary. It was just awesome. The 2007 cruise was in a word: disappointing. Compared to the other 3, this last one left much to be desired which was why we decided not to go on the next one in 2008. I made a list of the things we observed where the quality/management was sub-par but didn't send it to Jazz Cruises, LLC because it wouldn't make a difference. To those who are going on the next Smooth Jazz Cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time. But if it's run like this last one was, we won't miss it.

hattack
July 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
dark eyez..thanks for the" heads up" about Wayman..glad he's back performing...I have not been to Tulsa since 1996 and miss the city and the Music Festival (that year I believed they had Dr John and Spiro Gyra)..just curious..why do you think there was such a change in last year's cruise after so many successful prior cruises ? Wasn't last year the first with Wayman as host instead of Warren Hill ?

it appears to be very close to another sell out this year ? Have you looked into doing another smooth jazz cruise (Dave Koz or Capital ) ?

dark_eyez
July 23rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
I had a conversation for a couple of hours at the Ft. Lauderdale airport with a gentleman who works with and travels with Wayman Tisdale. I was going on about how disappointed I was when he introduced himself. I was telling him about some of the things my husband and I noticed this year... that there was a definite change between this year and previous years. He told me that Jazz Cruises bought Warren out and that Jazz Cruises "wants to take things in a different direction". I heard a similar statement from the president of Peter White's fan club who told us she's heard that the cruises are going to be more gospel & RnB with a touch of jazz. Because of that... she is not going on the next cruise either. I like gospel and I like RnB. But if I go on a jazz cruise, doggone it, I want jazz!! I thought Jazz Cruises was pretty lousy, by the way, in relegating Warren to performing by the pool and not on stage when he came on board for one day as a "Special Guest". It was a bit of a slap in the face, in my opinion, after all he's done. He handled the affront with class, however, but it hurt to see him treated like that. Here are a few other things I noticed: 1) there were NEVER lounge chairs set out by the indoor pool this year. Not once. Who ever heard of a pool with no lounge chairs? They were there, stacked in a corner the whole time. This was Jazz Cruises LLC's doing. They determine the number of crew members and how the ship will be run as far as service to the passengers. I guess they took those people and made them waiters instead. It was pretty annoying to be in the Gospel Hour on Sunday morning and be constantly harrassed by waiters wanting you to buy alcohol at 10 in the morning!!! I was tempted to make myself a little sign and pin it to my shirt that said "NO! I don't want a drink.. quit asking me!" 2) in the past, when you first boarded the ship, there was a room by the piano bar where you could check your carry on luggage so you wouldn't have to lug it around the ship while you waited for your cabin to be ready. They didn't offer that this year. Consequently, there was luggage sitting in chairs and in the aisles on the Lido deck as people gathered to have lunch. This was not only an incovenience, as there were few places for people to sit and eat because chairs and tables were covered with luggage... but it was a huge safety hazard as well. 3) There were no jam sessions this year after the concerts 4) The dance band by the pool was not most people's cup of tea (Sound Connection). There were never more than about 50 ppl listening the whole week. The last 3 yrs, they had DW3-- an absolutely fantastic and popular band from Los Angeles. People partied when they performed. On DW3's website, it says they'll be onboard in 2008 but there is no mention of them on the jazz cruise website, so I don't know that for certain. 5) I can understand no photography during the performances (they allowed it in the previous 3 years and I have some great photos), but no photography allowed at the autograph sessions either? There seemed to be a real effort to squelch spontaneity. There was less of it on this last cruise in other aspects as well, i.e., walking by a little area on the ship and discovering an artist had just sat down to play something impromptu because they felt like it and fewer surprise guest performances during the shows. 6) The 2008 cruise is really a Southern Caribbean cruise; which normally leave out of San Juan. If the ship departs from Fr. Lauderdale, it's usually a 9-10 day cruise, not 7. It's a long haul to make it there and back in 7 days. If there's bad weather and they have to slow the ship like they did last year.... not sure how they'll handle that. Figure it up and you'll see that they'll be at sea 4 days out of the 7. Yuk. 7) Wayman is a good performer and I'm sure a fun person but as the cruise host... he was mostly in absentia. There wasn't the warmth, polish, and quick-wittedness that a host should probably possess. I know Warren and Wayman are different people, but the role of a host demands certain qualities. Just because you grin a lot doesn't make you a model host. Not everybody is cut out for it.

I have more reasons, but that's enough.

We've been on 4 SJC's (we stayed in the same cabin with a balcony for the past 3). The first 3 yrs... we had a FABULOUS time. This last one... we didn't have an awful time, but it wasn't great either. For the money it cost, we fully expect great... not OK. It was the first jazz cruise we've been on that when the last day came, we were ready to go home. Previous years, when the last day came, we didn't want to leave. I think Warren Hill had more to do with how things went than any of us knew. My husband and I tried pay atttention this year so that we could see if there were changes, if any, since Warren is no longer involved. We saw plenty and we documented them and have had many discussions together about it. We have spoken to many others from the 2007 cruise who noticed the same things and feel as we do so it's not just me.

After weighing it all, we decided to skip going on a jazz cruise in 2008. We'll see how we feel in a year or so. We know people who are going on the next one and will speak to them about their experience when they get back. If the reviews are bad, it is doubtful we will go on another Jazz Cruises LLC cruise again.

hattack
July 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
thanks for sharing..I would suspect that LLC may be moving away from total smooth jazz cruises because there are now so many of them...due to the success of the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage cruises on Royal Caribbean (this year on the FOS), the direction of more of a combination of Gospel and R/B and a touch of smooth jazz probably makes good business sense in the long run..case in point the Capital Jazz Cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas October 14th-19th

I have been chatting with my friends that book the All Star cruise that Brian will not be co-hosting this year, out of San Diego on the Elation and they have given me encouragement that the new management promotion company (Haven Entertainment- I google them and could not find) that in spite of the short notice they will be announcing their revised line up shortly including the pre cruise weekend activities and it should be a stonger line up then what was originally announced...my friends and I had such a great time on the first one in November of 2005 in spite of the challenges of changing ships due to Katrina..so you might want to keep an eye out on their website or on this thread and when it is announced I'll let you know...thank you for sharing your comments..you are right in that when you pay a premium you have higher expectations...I have become so enamored with the total smooth jazz cruise concept that going on a regular cruise no longer does it for me and because of the expense I have to now plan my smooth jazz cruise every other year instead of my normal once a year cruise...regular cruises are now so boring to me (smile)...I'll wait as long as I can for the All Star lilne up announcement (ports of call don't factor into my decision and I have been on the Elation before and is one of my favorite Carnival ships)

jazzlover
July 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hey HATTACK....We'll be on the next Smooth Jazz Cruise(2008) with Wayman. My hubby and I were on the last one(our first jazz cruise) and had the time of our life. (It was our first vacation alone in 15 years and had a blast) Our friends got so tired of hearing how much fun we had that we finally had to break down and invite them this time. So there will be 8 of us from Gulfport heading to Ft. Lauderdale in January. I sure hope you are right about B.C. co-hosting with Wayman. One of my girlfriends will fall over dead if she hears he'll be there!! Please post if you get the inside scoop.

Till then.........

burlingtoncruiser
July 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
not showing anything on my normal internet jazz websites..is this a full charter or is it a large group..any idea on which jazz artist are on the ship ?

The Jazzsea (dot) com cruise on the Maasdam is actually 01/05/08 - a 25th anniversary jazz cruise - a 10 day Southern Carribean Cruise. The artists are listed below. There is a roll call started but only a couple of us signed up. Maybe not many CC on that particular one. Apparently if you play an instrument they will let you jam with them - I have an 800 number if you wish it e-mail me
helen@mangle.ca

groups appearing are the following so far (copied from website) - BUCK CREEK JAZZ BAND, CLIMAX JAZZ BAND, GRAND DOMINION JAZZ BAND, BOB SCHULZ FRISCO JAZZ BAND, AN KITTRELL & THE ST. LOUIS RIVERMEN, TEX WYNDHAM, DICK WILLIAMS' JAZZSEA JAM, TIM ALLAN'S BANJOS AWEIGH, Just Added! South Florida's TAMIAMI TAILGATORS JAZZ BAND

cruiser_cheryl
July 31st, 2007, 12:53 PM
I know there is one leaving out of New Orleans on Feb. 17 through the 24th. It is on the Norwegian Spirit. I have been on this jazz cruise before and had a great time. It is one Jazz artist, by the name of Darren Motamedy, He is really great. Not world known, but the music is fantastic and it cost less than some of the other jazz cruises with the heavy weights, but just as much fun if not better.

Darren Motamedy
August 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM
Hey, my band is doing a smooth jazz cruise the 17th thru the 28th on the Norwegian Spirit, leaving out of New Orleans.....

You can find more information by searching Darren Motamedy, Smooth Jazz Saxophonist!

Happy Sailing!
dmo

SunDapple
August 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much for listing the artisits. They literally put the jazz in the cruise. It's also interesting to know what kind of talent goes on these cruises. Sounds like a nice line up. :-)

hattack
August 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM
:) Wow !!!! :) the AllStar Smooth Jazz Cruise just announced it's revised line up to replace Brian Culbertson and much to my surprise and delight, it combines some great 60-s Motown Acts along with some great smooth jazz talent

Motown - Kool and the Gang, Four Tops, The Spinners

Smooth Jazz - Norman Brown and Nick Colione (host and jam session host), Boney James, Warren Hill, Larry Carlton, Alcoustic Alchemy, Shilts (from DTTB), Marion Meadows, Paul Taylor, Steve Oliver, Chieli Munici (sp), Althena Rene, Alan Hewitt

awesome line up:) send me a private note if you want to get a group together to go..it's a full charter on the Elation out of San Diego with two days of pre concerts and parties

Froufie
August 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hey Hattack - that sounds like my kind of cruise - I LOVE MOTOWN music (and my dh is a fan of jazz) - can you provide more details such as sailing date and where we can find further information?

Thanks,

Froufie

hattack
August 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
since we are not allowed to publish links..I think we are allowed to state you can goggle the name of the cruise which is in my first line:D

let me know if you and your spouse are interested..I am trying to get a large group together

hattack
August 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Kenny G., Patti Austin and FourPlay have just been added to the AllStar Smooth Jazz Cruise..just keeps getting better and better

dark_eyez
August 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Read the line-up information carefully and know for certain who's performing on the ship and who is not before you get too excited.

Nowhere does Haven Entertainment say that Kenny G., Patii Austin, Fourplay will be performing on the cruise. What the website says is that they've been added to the "All Star Smooth Cruise Land and Sea Entertainment Line Up". "The Entertainment Line Up, remember, includes the pre-cruise music festival as well as the onboard cruise entertainment. Is it not important to know which is which? It would be to me.

I read an Aug. 22, 2007 post on the Smoothvibes website that states that Kenny G. has been added to the pre-cruise entertainment, not the cruise entertainment. That may also be true of Patti Austin and Fourplay as well, I don't know. But for certain, Haven Entertainment does NOT say that any of them will be performing on the ship. They worded this carefully because ... well, they're not exactly lying by saying they've been added to the Entertainment lineup. But they're not being forthcoming either in not saying which part... land or sea.

The promoters of the All-Star Cruise have been vague in their promotion details of this cruise ever since the 1st one was launched 2 yrs ago. They never make it crystal clear how much the cabins are, what cabins and categories are remaining, exactly what the cruise line-up is, and what the land line-up is. They don't even tell tell you if it's a Charter Cruise or not! Ever stop to think why not? It's all about marketing...

I'm just saying... make sure you've got accurate and clear information about what you're getting. And if what you have is good enough for you, then go for it... and have a great time.

dark_eyez
August 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM
In my experience, every time someone is featured as a "Guest, Special Guest, or Special Invited Guest"... the performer is not on the cruise for the entire 7 days. They usually come on board for a day, perform, and then get off at the next stop... or... the passengers all get off the ship and go to some venue on land to see the entertainer perform.

Dave Koz, Al Jarreau and Warren Hill came aboard separately on The Smooth Jazz Cruise as "guests". Passengers disembarked from the Dave Koz cruise to see "Special Guests" Euge Groove and Jeff Golub at two separate stops in Mexico.

Just something else to keep in mind.

hattack
August 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM
thanks for the heads-up, I was on the first All Star Cruise right after Katrina on the Conquest, so I am aware of the pre cruise concerts and as it is being laid out on the updates they have added a 3rd night to their pre cruise concert which would include the Motown Acts and Patti Austin and Kenny G..which if you stop and think about it makes sense because it's advertise as a smooth jazz cruise..but also I suspect we will begin to see a trend that lends itself to major pre cruise concerts (a way to build interest in local smooth jazz cities to take the cruise the following year)with cross over and Motown/ Funk Groups would be logical because a great number of smooth jazz musicians had their start in horn sections of the great 70's Motown/Funk Bands (Tower of Power etc)..also I check the musicians website to see their upcoming tour dates and that will often tell you if it's a performance on the ship or on an island..
Since it is a change of promoters and host in mid stream, I expect to try to remain fluid and give the new promoters the benefit of the doubt since I enjoyed the first cruise sooo much and it was held under very challenging circumstances (post Katrina chaos)

My experience with Cruise International that is handling the bookings have been first rate and very professional, so I'll roll with the punches

fyi..I just purchased the newest CD's with FourPlay (X) and Acoustic Alchemy (This Way) and love them so I'm looking forward to seeing them perform either on land or sea...the ports of call on this one don't excite me so I'm hoping that there will be a land concert in Ensenada, if not I won't get off the ship

I was in a serious debate whether to go on Wayman Tisdale's cruise on the Westerdam (I love the line up, the islands, the ship) or the All Star cruise since it was on the same week time frame and then "ran the numbers" including air out of New Orleans ..what tipped the scales to the All Star cruise was the person that I usually cruise with just moved to San Diego

As long as the music is great, I don't care where I cruise too and my experience is most smooth jazz cruisers are like that

fyi..I see Brian Culbertson has just been added to the Capital Jazz Fest cruise to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean in mid October..too many choices, not enough money or time off from work..what a nice "pickle to be in"

I'm also curious to see if the promoters are planning to do another North Sea Jazz Cruise in July tied into the North Sea Festival since there seem to be a lot of logistical challenges in it's first year (which should be expected, much like when a new car model is introduced, you wait for them to work out the first year kinks)

Sansouci
September 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hey there, Jazz Cruisers:)

Is anybody else on board for the Jazz Party at Sea on the Norwegian Sun, Nov. 3-11? This will be my first one and I wondered if you could tell me what to expect.

Thanks!

AZ Greg
October 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I wanted to stop by and wish those of you on the Capital Jazz Cruise this Sunday a bon voyage. With your line up it should be a great cruise. Hopefully one of you will stop by and fill us in on your experience when you return. Wish I could go to Bermuda with you.

Down to double digits until Wayman's SJC in Jan.

chamomile
October 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
The promoters of the All-Star Cruise have been vague in their promotion details of this cruise ever since the 1st one was launched 2 yrs ago. They never make it crystal clear how much the cabins are, what cabins and categories are remaining, exactly what the cruise line-up is, and what the land line-up is. They don't even tell tell you if it's a Charter Cruise or not! Ever stop to think why not? It's all about marketing...

I'm just saying... make sure you've got accurate and clear information about what you're getting. And if what you have is good enough for you, then go for it... and have a great time.
Their latest info says:

Kicking off the cruise will be a three-night festival in sunny San Diego with music designed to groove, move and get the party started. Fans can relax to the cool sounds of favorite artists like Kenny G, Fourplay, Patti Austin, Kool & the Gang, The Spinners, Four Tops, Warren Hill and more.

Hosting this year’s cruise will beguitarist Norman Brown. This Grammy winner is known for his soulful vibes and delicious vocals. If that wasn’t enough, fans will be treated to the ultimate musical cruise experience when funky favorite Boney James in the house as well.

Red hot guitarist/vocalist Nick Colionne will tear up the stage with nightly jam sessions. Anyone that has experienced an All Star Cruise jam knows just how unpredictable and exciting these concerts can be. Just imagine seeing famous artists like Patti Austin, Acoustic Alchemy, Marion Meadows, Larry Carlton, Shilts from Down to the Bone, Paul Taylor, Alan Hewitt, Larry Gittens (Kool & the Gang), Steve Oliver, Chieli Minucci, and Althea Rene play together in the personal atmosphere of the All Star Smooth Cruise! As an added bonus, multi-platinum pianist/vibist Alan Hewitt will be giving guests an insider's sneak peek into the backstage life of these artists with informal and fun interviews that will be aired onboard the ship.

VAMAMA
October 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi darkeyez,
My DH and I are going on the 2008 SJC. It will be our fourth SJC. I felt exactly the same way about most of the things you said. I even e-mailed the executive officer of the SJC to express my disappointment in the sound connection band and the loss of spontaneity it seemed with a lot of the artists. With that said though, I don't know if we can ever recapture the way it was when Warren Hill was there other than having him back again as host. I'll let you know how it goes. It may also be our last as well.

VAMAMA

pemo
November 14th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hey you guys! just found this site looking for info on smooth jazz cruises....I have been on both of the All Star Cruises and have enjoyed them both....I am disappointed that BC will not be hosting, but I hung out with Norman on the last cruise and he is a great guy. Not to mention performer......the ports of call are not the greatest, but I'm there for the music anyway...I could really care less about that. In the previous cruises, it has been great from the pre-concerts to the last show. Last year, the combination of artists on the stage at any one time was unimaginable...not to mention magical.. The three "house" bands that performed with the artist were "off the chain" too!! .......I heard people on both cruises complaining about different things because they had been on the other SJC's, but I also heard more great things from people who where there for the music....remember, it is a Carnival Ship and their motto is the "FunShip" and with it being a 50-50 cruise, of course there would be times when you come in contact with the "regular" cruisers.... I am looking forward to this years cruise....I have procrastinated booking because I was seriously considering Wayman's cruise mostly because I am a big Regina Belle's fan, but the line-up on the All Star is out weighing it.....Boney James...Paul Taylor!!! they are worth by themselves!!
Hattack, since you already know how great it is, I hope to see you there!!

PEMO

cruiselife
January 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi!
I'm new to this message board. I'm hoping to meet some other people who are going on the smooth jazz cruise on the Elation, Jan. 21st. Please respond so we can chat a bit and perhaps meet in person on the ship.

Looking forward to it...

hattack
January 13th, 2008, 03:29 AM
we were suppose to go but had to cancel due to health reasons, so please post when you get back so I can hear how it went...i understand it was suppose to be a full charter, but due to changing of promoters it will not be, and I went on the first one on the conquest in nov 2005 (with rick braun hosting) and a split charter presented some challenges..however next year they are planning a full charter,,the pre cruise concerts are off the hook and I may fly out at the last minute

have a great time and tell nick i said hi

hattack
January 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I just noticed you are going on the Tom Joyner cruise,,,,a whole bunch of my buddies are going..tom just announced his line up,,,,this year much more jazz which is great

pemo
January 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hello Cruiselife, welcome to the Smooth Jazz Cruise......are you coming to the pre-cruise festival? This is my third Smooth Jazz Cruise and I am looking forward to it. I started with the first AllStar in 2005. I was sorry to hear that Brian would not be the host, but Norman is a great guy. It still should be just as exciting as the previous cruises. I am flying in to San Diego on Sat afternoon and will be attending the evening concert. Hope to see you there, if not maybe on the ship! Bon Voyage

cruiselife
January 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Hello Cruiselife, welcome to the Smooth Jazz Cruise......are you coming to the pre-cruise festival? This is my third Smooth Jazz Cruise and I am looking forward to it. I started with the first AllStar in 2005. I was sorry to hear that Brian would not be the host, but Norman is a great guy. It still should be just as exciting as the previous cruises. I am flying in to San Diego on Sat afternoon and will be attending the evening concert. Hope to see you there, if not maybe on the ship! Bon Voyage
Hi Pemo,
We will be coming into San Diego on Sat. too. We'll be staying at the Town and Country Resort. Would like to meet you. Why don't you email me your contact info to: altastudio@aol.com

This is our first time on a theme cruise and it would be nice to talk with someone who's done this before. We got a last minute opportunity to attend and we are sooo excited!

cruiselife
January 15th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I just noticed you are going on the Tom Joyner cruise,,,,a whole bunch of my buddies are going..tom just announced his line up,,,,this year much more jazz which is great
Several of my girlfriends are going with me on the "Fantastic Voyage". It's my first time on that one too. It costs a pretty penny, but everyone says it's worth it!

I'll say hi to Nick on the Jazz cruise and let you know how it went.

Straight No Chaser
February 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I like smooth jazz, but my heart is old school straight ahead, modal, bop, and cool jazz.

Does anyone here have a good recommendation for old school jazz. Good bad experiences.

Appreciate it

AZ Greg
March 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the boards and yes there are several options for you other than smooth jazz cruises. In fact the company that organizes the cruise we sail also puts on 2 full charter straight ahead jazz cruises every year. If you goggle Jazz Cruises LLC you will find their site and options. They will have 1 in Nov. '08 and in Jan. '09 they will partner with Playboy for the Playboy Jazz Cruise hosted by Marcus Miller. I'm think of doing b2b cruise and catching that one.

If you google Jazzsea you will find a group that normally puts o 2 cruises a year. Now I think they lean towards Dixieland Jazz, but not smooth.

You can google the Annual Jazz Party at Sea and find a straight ahead cruise that goes on NCL every year that looks loaded with talent.

I also found a new one this morning called Jazz on the Seven Seas that is straight ahead and sails in May '08.

As you can tell this is a great time for jazz theme charters with the 6 that I know of that sail every year that are not smooth jazz, so I'm sure you will find the line up, ports, a ship or sail date that fits your needs.

As far as recommendations, all I can say is that on a full charter dedicated to jazz you shouldn't have a bad experience. A full jazz charter should guarantee you that all entertainment is focused on jazz and that all of your fellow passengers are avid fans and booked for the same reason that you did. For us over the last 3 years that formula has led to great cruises, great music and a ton of new friends and family that we spend a wonderful week with every year.

I hope this helps you find what you are looking for and maybe we'll run into each other next January.

Straight No Chaser
March 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the great places to look for our next vacation. I didn't realize there was so much to choose from, now I'll have a hard time deciding.

mucklucks
March 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
My dh and I have been on The Smooth Jazz Cruise in January of 2007 with Wayman Tisdale and the Dave Koz and Friends in Nov of 2007. We booked the cruise with the understanding that it was the Warren Hill SJC but it was changed several months before as was the itinerary without written notification by Jazz Cruises LLC who most certainly bought Warren out. It was our first time on a Jazz Cruise and overall we had a good enough time to book Dave Koz for Nov 2007 but the Koz cruise was the last straw. It is not as great as they tell you. Go to a few concerts and take a cruise and save yourself alot of aggrevation and money. The Westerdam is an awful ship, the food and service are mediocre, it is a captive audience mentality, and the shows left alot to be desired. It has turned into the good old praise the lord gospel hour. Now I love gospel music but I booked passage to hear smooth jazz. Brian Simpson produces the entire show for each performer and determines how much time onstage and which venue we will see them in etc.. For example many people on the Koz cruise came to see japanese pianist Keiko Matsui but they never put her on the big stage and since we had late dinner we could never get near her venue to see her, she was one of the reasons we booked this cruise. We had to sit in the Queens Lounge for 2 hours to save 2 seats for a private David Benoit does Charlie Brown concert. A lot of time is spent waiting on lines for something. If that were not bad enough the owner of Jazz Cruises LLC Micheal something or other was so rude the last formal evening. We were at a table for 8 in the Pinnacle Bar and the bar watier was taking our order, Micheal had been introduced to a very beautiful woman and from what we could hear of the conversation he was trying to get her to his suite. During the ordering of our drinks he demanded that the waiter drop what he was doing and take his order immediately. That did it for us. He received an e mail from me informing him how disappointed we were with the entire operation and how commercial it was becoming and how disgusting his behavior was. We will never book with them again and I recommend that others think twice as well. It is alot of money and really not worth it.

Rhonda Frayne aka Mucklucks
Orlando, Florida

mucklucks
April 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM
My dh and I just booked the All Star Smooth Cruise hosted by Norman Brown for 2009. It will be a full charter on the Celebrity Century Jan 31st to Feb 5th 2009 out of Miami. The lineup looks great and maybe we can overcome some of the disappointments of the Dave Koz cruise of 2007. I won't book with jazz cruises llc ever again. We still love smooth jazz so we will try it this way. Let you know how it compares.

Later,
Rhonda

mucklucks
April 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
I have a thread on the Century roll call on cruiseclues for 1/31/09 All Star Smooth Cruise. If you are interested check it out.

Later,
Rhonda