PDA

View Full Version : Biking down Haleakala - Maui

WeR3Angels
July 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Has anyone done this? If so, please let me know what you think for an inexperienced biker that is willing to try it.

Thanks
Barb

Kaylas Mom
July 9th, 2004, 04:06 AM
We have never done it but several of our friends and cruise ship acquaintences and all loved it. Word of warning though....on our last trip a rowdy teenager lost control of hius bike and crashed into Steve, the 70 year old granddad biking ahead of him (our friend). Steve ended up being rushed to the hospital with a broken collarbone and cracked ribs. Really hurting, but good old Steve didn't let it ruin his cruise, thank goodness. (He said the teen ended up very sorry indeed!) Just take care and be sure to complain about bad behavior before it gets out of control.

spleen93
July 9th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Many people have done it and enjoyed it greatly. Some have even said that it was the best experience that they had in Hawaii. Having said that, having worked on Maui before and having seen some of the aftermath, I can tell you that accidents do happen with these bike rides and may be dangerous for inexperienced bikers or people that are not comfortable with their sense of balance. Only you can decide as to whether this is a good tour for you or not.

Spleen

Isaac
July 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM
We did it last week and really enjoyed it, but safety is a concern. I'm pretty comfortable on a bike and thought it was very easy...even too slow at times, but this is such the thing to do when in Maui that a lot of people use it as a chance to re-learn how to ride a bike. Not a good idea. We saw a woman who was doing the ride on her own (without a tour company) who took a turn too fast and slammed into a guard rail. Our guides stopped to help and guessed she had two broken arms, a broken nose, a concussion. It was ugly. Further up the hill, someone else who was using our tour company crashed bad enough to warrant an ambulance. This is not uncommon...our guides said it's a good day when no one goes to the hospital.

I'm not trying to scare you off. It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it. Just know that it's not a good place to hop on a bike for the first time in 20 years.

WeR3Angels
July 9th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Follow up question - how many are biking at the same time?

I think I can handle it but now I am wondering about others doing it with us.

THANKS AGAIN you reply is most appreciated.
Barb :-) wer3angels@aol.com

mountainhouse
July 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I used to do quite a bit of cycling. The more you cycle the better you get. If you haven't done it in a long time, you can be quite unstable (wobbly) compared to a frequent rider. I'd try to spend some time in the saddle before your trip, if you tush hasn't been there in a long time.

spleen93
July 10th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Depends on the company. Can be up to 20-30 riders going down at the same time.

Spleen

Nanner
July 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
We didn't do the biking, but we drove past a number of riders on the tours. My husband, who is an avid cyclist, decided he wouldn't like the trip for two reasons. One is that you must descend very slowly. You are absolutely not allowed to go faster than the ride leader, who is going to be moving at a rate that is safe for those who haven't been in a saddle for years. We understand it is geared for those who haven't really been on a bike in a long time, but it seems foolhardy to attempt this if you don't reacquaint yourself with a bike ahead of time.

The other thing to know is that they outfit riders with a BMX type helmet-the ones that cover your chin and entire head. Heavy, hot and would restrict your field of vision more than a road helmet. I'm sure it is for the extra protection that the helmet affords your face, but my DH lost all interest at that point.

mountainhouse
July 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I just went on the excursion Saturday, I'm also an avivd cyclist, and don't agree. This was a great excursion. I used Maui Downhill. They grouped the riders slowest first. That's the right thing to do. Don't need speed to make this fun. The scenary and the whole surrounding environment is the fun. And, doing it while not cooped up in a car is the best way. I did not find the BMX helmet a problem at all. The folks at Maui Downhill are very serious about safety. They'll slow down, or stop prior to problem areas (surprisingly, the most dangerous part is very close to the beach, where a 90 degree turn takes you suddenly into a VERY strong wind), and they are very hardnosed about problem riders.

NOW FOR A WORD OF CAUTION!... I saw other operators that were racing down the mountain, encouraging speed and stringing riders out as a result. I can vouch for Maui Downhill, and I'm sure there are other good companies operating there. Ask lots of questions before you buy.

Again, this is an awesome excursion, but if you don't bike, DO see sunrise on Haleakala!

BarbF
July 27th, 2004, 07:20 PM
WeR3Angels-
There is one company at www.bikemaui.com (http://www.bikemaui.com/) that runs a tour but you can bike down at your own pace - not with a pack. You have all day, they give you maps and make suggestions where to stop like Tedeschi Winery, etc. I haven't done it yet so I can't speak from personal experience but I did book it for 3 weeks from now. I don't know when you are going but if I'm back before you, I'll let you know how it was.

mountainhouse
July 27th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I saw folks up there biking independently. Sounds like a good option. I assume they give some safety instruction. You may consider doing a little studying on the web if you don't ride regularly.

An advantage of riding in a group is that their van/trailer follows the last person blocking traffic, so you can use the whole lane. If they van has cars behind it, they radio the lead rider, and he pulls over at the next turnout. By the way, crossed the center line once gets you a warning, and the second time, you ride in the van....good hardnosed.

Have fun. Be ready to take lots of photos of the sunrise!

Aloha_Jackie
July 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM
My husband and I have taken this tour. We loved it and I must mention that I dont consider myself to be a cyclist. (anymore) - my parents had a recent trip (June) to Maui for a slack key and guitar workshop and I got the trip for my dad for fathers day - he is an avid hiker, fisherman, etc and loves the outdoors and is in his early sixties and had no problem and loved it too - I would recommend Cruiser Phils Bike Downhill on Maui and you can locate them on the web at - http://www.cruiserphil.com/ I took the tour with my husband, they take you to the top of Haleakala (dormant volcano at slightly higher than 10K foot level).

You get to their headquarters near Kahului (by the airport) and then everyone rides in a van up the hill. They let you out - you take a brief look around (take a few pics, and be sure to see the Silversword, found only in this spot on the planet) and they unload all the loot. You get on a bike with some protective pants and top and a helmet and do a few laps to prove that you can (in fact) ride a bike, then begin the ride down. Women first, based on weight and size ...yeah, ok, I was last, but if I had been first we'd woulda gone down a lot faster - I tell you!). The men follow and the pace is set by the first (wimpy) woman. Dont get me wrong, safety first and all that, and I am sure that there are some lethal accidents, but I did want to go faster than we did - at times. I must also admit - having just said I wanted to speed things up - that at first I was scared to death. I dont do well at elevation and its difficult to breathe up there, once you get going its great. I highly recommend it! Worth every penny and no better way to see, smell and get close to the island. Easily - one of the best tours on the island!

mountainhouse
July 28th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Jackie,

I'm concerned you're cruising entirely too much. ;) That'll be a great end of year! Have fun.

Aloha_Jackie
July 28th, 2004, 12:36 AM
It wasnt on purpose or because of any great rates - it just sort of worked out that way - postpone for this and that and the next thing you know, one for Oct/Nov/Dec...we head to the islands for 2 weeks at the end of August for a land trip - I think the cats will have the place to themselves.....till we return after New Years!

BarbF
July 28th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Mountainhouse & Aloha Jackie-

I am doing the sunrise bike tour in a few weeks. Some questions-
How cold is it on the summit? Did you need to bring a fleece or something? The bike company says they give you wind jacket and pants - how much more do you need? How far down the mountain are you before it warms up?
Thanks-
Barb

Aloha_Jackie
July 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Aloha Barb - I am always referring to myself as a "hot tamale", built in insulation keeps me from ever getting cold. I didnt wear the pants they gave and wasnt cold wearing shorts and open toed teva type shoes. I would however, recommend wearing the stuff they provide and I would tell you to bring a jacket if you are doing the sunrise. People often bring blankets from their hotel and stand up there to see the sun rise. You wont be at the top very long, and as you go down the hill - you stop for pictures and for strip breaks (where you'll peel off the layers). Dress in layers - they have a chase van and you can toss all your clothes in as you go down. I cant remember exactly, but IO think it took about 3 hours? Something like 30-40 miles, check their webpages for FAQs and dont worry - even if you're freezing your tail off, you're going to have a blast! It's exhilarating! I can smell the Eucalytus trees now.....

mountainhouse
July 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Hi, Barb. With Maui Downhill - MD, we got to the summit about an hour before sunrise. Interesting stuff started happening about 40 minutes before, so it was nice to see all the subtle changes. Also, if you get there too late, you won't have a spot up front. Once the tour buses come in it's pretty crowded.

I was pretty cold up there. MD gave us ski gloves, good rain jacket/pants. They suggest you wear it all....I didn't wear the pants while standing around (mistake). I did bring a fleece jacket with me which was perfect.

For photo buffs, if I'd known the van was going to be right behind us all along I would have brought more photo gear. I wish I'd had a tripod for the sunrise. Hopefully these 2 attachment will give you some idea of attire and the sunrise.

http://www.pbase.com/image/31920406/medium.jpg
By the way, it's hard to see, but the ocean is visible between the clouds and the ridge. You'll love it!

http://www.pbase.com/image/31920407/medium.jpg

Have fun!

Aloha_Jackie
July 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Since you are probably following someone, unless you are small, you will have your hands on the brakes the entire time. It can get a bit sweaty palm-ish as you go down, the cool air is nice to dry your palms, but maybe gloves would be good, perhaps you could use the bike gloves with fingers removed - a la Michael Jackson???

BarbF
July 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Aloha_Jackie and mountainhouse-
Thanks so much for the great info. I was thinking that I didn't want to get up so early to see the sunrise - we have to be at the bike co. at 3am - but after seeing your pictures, mountainhouse, I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing.
Barb

Aloha_Jackie
July 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM
You're very welcome! Be careful and have fun! Pass the word and pay it forward!

Aloha_Jackie
July 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Incriminating photos say it all - Bike Group and view from Haleakala w/helmet, rare silversword

Aloha_Jackie
December 14th, 2004, 03:04 PM
here is a bump for those who were searching for information regarding the bike downhill

JohnQ
January 31st, 2005, 07:33 PM
We have gone up there two or three times for sunrise, once for sunset (not so good) and rode with Maui downhill after sunrise once. As most have said, it is very cold up there in early morning. You need to be up there way before light for pictures and a spot. Layer, layer. They put the shortest girl right behind their guide, and the tallest, biggest in the back and do not tolerate any hanky panky like racing or anything close. Surprise to hear of someone being hurt. These are mtn bikes with motocycle brakes and seemed pretty safe even for us non riders. Three hours sounds about right. We didn't leave right away after sun was up. They go in stages and I guess we were back a ways, I think Maui DH had three or four groups and chase vans. Great fun and not much work. Take lots of film or digital cards, and tripod.

Aloha_Jackie
June 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM
this is the thread that had the photos for the Bike downhill and Haleakala

H20 Lover
June 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Is Maui Downhill the company that RCCL uses?

Aloha_Jackie
June 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
we were on a land based vacation when we did our tour, we used Cruiser Phils

Sorry I cant help you

We were on the 15 day Los Angeles to Hawaii and back aboard the Island Princess, not RCCL

worldsbestcandles
June 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM
What if you don't want to ride but want to go up for sunrise? Is it open to anyone? And if you are not a part of the ship's tour, can you get on a tender or will you have to wait for a long time for a tender? Does anyone know how long a ride from the pier it would be to get there? Would it be hard to drive a car down around all of the people on bikes?

Thanks for any advice you can offer....

WBC

Aloha_Jackie
June 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The area is open to the public. Typically tenders are priority for those on the tour. It takes a while to get up there, I cant remember how long, its in the earlier part of this post - read thru it. Driving down isnt nearly as fun or adventurous, the scent of Eucalyptus and flowers filling the air, and wind in your face. Its a whole new perspective on the bike, and you dont really have to peddle at all, mostly slamming on the brakes the whole time wishing the bozo in front of you would "punch it, Marge!"! At first its a bit scary and then afterwards more fun. Of course there are several groups, this vendor and that, where one tour company and their chase van take off, then the next and so on until all the crazy characters are cycling down the hill. Cars must wait for the groups of people to pull over, etc. Once in a while you pull over to take clothes off and take view pictures - group shots etc. If you get scared or tired or injured, you ride in the chase van, which also hauls down all the stuff you cant carry or dont want to wear when you get hot. I used the van for a video camera I wanted to take to film the event, they dont allow it. You need both hands:eek:

H20 Lover
June 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Aloha (or anyone that knows), can you bring your video camera, keep it in the van and video when you stop? That was on my "to bring list" in my head. :D

ERAMP76
June 14th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, you can bring cameras, video cams etc. but they must stay on the van until you stop. Our tour made several stops to rest, take pictures, etc.

H20 Lover
June 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Phew, Eramp Thank you!, that was exactly what I wanted to know. We are photo freaks and I hate having to take a mental picture cuz my memory stinks. ;)

Aloha_Jackie
June 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
oh yeah, bring the video, tape on the way up the hill, thru Kula and all that, then of course I thought I was a hotshot and would tape my extreme adventure, nooooooot. They didnt allow it. I was glad after I realized that I needed to hold on and slam on the brakes the whole time. No leftover hands for the video. I sure wished there was a video helmet:D cam! Just tape when they stop for a view shot or strip stop. Funny how you imagine things and then the way they turn out. :)

H20 Lover
June 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Oh boy, I just booked through RCCL's excursion site and in fine print, Event Time: 08:00am that is way past sunrise. So now for the homework on local companies that do it. As long as they get me back to my little boat in time. :rolleyes:

Aloha_Jackie
June 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
remember that (usually) people with ship-sponsored tours have priority on tenders

Our bus that took us all up there (for three different tours) got stuck in the mud, we took longer to get back, and were in line at the dock with NCL pax waiting forever to get back on the tenders returning to the ship

Ochestrating the tenders and priority and all those weary pax - what a mess:rolleyes:

worldsbestcandles
June 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Oh boy, I just booked through RCCL's excursion site and in fine print, Event Time: 08:00am that is way past sunrise. So now for the homework on local companies that do it. As long as they get me back to my little boat in time. :rolleyes:

Yvonne,

We are interested in going up at sunrise too, although I'm not so sure about the biking thing.... maybe if you don't end up booking a tour we could split a rental and go up as a group? We can chat on our cruise board about it too...

Steph

bdoster
June 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
H20Lover

Which RCCL sailing are you on? We are doing the Serenade in September from Vancouver & have a roll call here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=114531&page=20&pp=25

I wanted to do this, by my DH 86'd it & we will zipline instead.

H20 Lover
June 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Hi bdoster, it's up in my signature a couple postings up. Radiance 10/5. But thank you for thinking of me. :D

Steph, I booked the one with the ship to hold it and I'm really leaning towards keeping it. Like Aloha brought up again, you get priority over tendering. Also the stuff I have read through the companies that do it, you have to be at their spot by like 2:30 a.m., how do we get off the ship at that time, are there tenders? So, it's just too many things I don't like. I told my Brian we could always do the sunrise one when we stay on Maui, I can see us going back there someday on our own.

It's been so helpful reading this thread, thanks to all of you.

xpcdoojk
June 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
What if you don't want to ride but want to go up for sunrise? Is it open to anyone? And if you are not a part of the ship's tour, can you get on a tender or will you have to wait for a long time for a tender? Does anyone know how long a ride from the pier it would be to get there? Would it be hard to drive a car down around all of the people on bikes?

Thanks for any advice you can offer....

WBC

You can drive up on your own easily or with a tour... Most of the cars that went up for the sunrise left before we started down on bikes. It is a great time. We were blessed the night we did this excursion to be there for the peak of the orionids meteor shower, and the sky was clear and beautiful.

jc

Aloha_Jackie
June 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
when we were in Maui - another cruise ship was there at the same time - NCL something or other, we were on the Island Princess. It was difficult for them to coordinate the tenders from our ship and NCL, and it took awhile to get people in (ashore). On one day (cant remember which port-Kona?) we had a private charter to go fishing and snorkeling. IP had people waiting in a lounge, and did a ticket thing to get tenders, where once you and all of your party were ready, you went to the lounge. You picked up a ticket and on the ticket were a series of numbers. They would call a series of numbers and you just had to wait your turn. So you couldnt just go to the tender area and linger around and expect to get on one and go ashore. It really was a pain. I recommend that unless there is some reason, to book your tours with the ship. Anyone who has a ticket for one of the ship sponsored tours, will likely get off the ship faster than those who dont. Just something to think about. We have done it both ways. I like them having to worry about getting me there on time, I am on vacation.:)

worldsbestcandles
June 21st, 2005, 09:42 AM
But if the ship doesn't have a tour for sunrise, there wouldn't be anyone with a ticket ahead of me right? It would only be people who also are going on thier own to see the sunrise? Maybe I'm missing something... I have heard the tenders run one an hour overnight so you would just have to plan to be able to get on a tender before sunrise.... anyone know about this?

spleen93
June 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
It's technically supposed to be a tender an hour ... but in the middle of the night, the schedule can get a little screwed up. Leave earlier than you need to to make sure that the tender gets you to shore in enough time to make the trek to the top of Haleakala. And at that time of the morning, there should be no organized ship tours. :)

Spleen

xpcdoojk
June 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM
yes, WBC, most of the time the tenders leave every hour.... it is at least an hour drive, so find the sunrise time, and then subtract an hour for the drive,then subtract 30 or 45 minutes for the tender process, and then subtract at least an hour because the sky before the sunrise is more amazing than the sunrise, and then take the tender before that time! :D

I may have posted this before(definitely have and maybe on this thread since it is a year old), but we did the Old Lahaina luau with open bar the evening before, got to bed at about 10:30pm, set the alarm for 1:30am and caught the 2am tender, fell on the wet steps from the top step to the bottom step about 8. Ouch.... had a nice bruise on my right buttock, the security guys wanted to make sure I was OK, I said no problem, lets get this boat to shore! :D I was sure they were going to make me go to the infirmary. If you do the bike remember they only have the lowest gear for climbing hills. They do not want you to add speed to your descent. Make sure your brakes work really well before you start downhill. My brakes would not stop me in an emergency, in less than about 3 football fields. We went thru a cloud several hundred feet below the parking lot at the top, and it was snowing. Fun stuff. It is a great memory to this day, probably won't do it again, but a great memory.

jc

worldsbestcandles
June 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
JC and Spleen,

Once again my voices of reason.... I think we are going to enjoy a quiet night on the ship while others are at the luau (maybe even Chops or Portofinos?) and then get on a boat super early. If we rent a car the day before and leave it at the pier we should be ok to get up there.... we'll have to see how we go. Currently sunrise is at 5:47am. So if I were doing it today I would probably want to be on the 3am tender for sure so we would probably go on the 2am tender just to be safe.... is there any kind of market or place to get breakfast near the pier that might be open 24/7? Maybe even someone making some malasadas? (sp?) like Leonard's in Honolulu... those are my favorite....

thanks again for all the tips you have to offer!
WBC
Steph

spleen93
June 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
Sorry but Maui is dead late at night. No late night places I can think of off the top of my head except for places like Taco Bell and Wendy's.

Spleen

xpcdoojk
June 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
WBC, I always defer to Spleen's knowledge of the islands, because I have only visited, of course being a tourist I do all those crazy tourists things that the good folks that live there shake their collective heads at! :D Plus given the oppurtunity, I always go to bed early!:D

jc

worldsbestcandles
June 22nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
jc,

you still have been my voice of reason on other boards as well...

as for Maui being dead at that hour... whoever says Starbucks are everywhere is wrong!:D

I think we'll be ok though... hopefully we'll make it... my BF will probably just want to sleep... I'll just have to guide him to the tender and hope he doesn't fall down any steps!:eek:

I think he would be up for riding the bikes, but if he broke anything I know he'd be ticked and I don't want to take care of him on vacation (not that I wouldn't, it's just that I don't want us to get hurt...)

Spleen,

I have heard that parking at the pier can be crazy around there... you have any advice to add? I think when I look on the port calendar link we are the only ship in port overnight. I just don't want to get parked in or something.

Thanks,
Steph

xpcdoojk
June 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
WBC, Steph.

Your post reminded me of our bike excursion with Maui Downhill. I think in our group there were about 10 people in the group. The wife of our travel companions didn't ride the bike, but she road in the support van down the hill and to the breakfast on the east coast town at the end of the 32 mile ride. The funniest thing on the ride was a German couple that showed up, dressed in dress shoes and dress slacks with a shirt and tie, and the woman showed up in fancy dress sandals and a dress. They looked ridiculous to the extreme, especially her in the big bulky rubber rainsuits they gave us. They had a hard time riding the bikes in those shoes, especially the poor lady. I figure if they could make it anyone could make it. :D

jc

worldsbestcandles
June 22nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
so is it other companies that offer the sunrise/bike option and the ship's doesn't (cause on our sailing it is at 9am or something). Or are the two events totally unrelated? If there are companies that let you do both (go up early for sunrise and bike down) maybe we could do the 'he bikes I ride in the van option'.... we will have to see how the money goes at that point...

xpcdoojk
June 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Steph,

I don't know what excursions are offered by the ship. I do know that RCI did not offer the bike option in any form in 2001. I do think they offered a sunrise over Haleakula excursion, but I am not sure. There is really no compelling reason to me to booking excursions with the cruise company if you are capable of getting around on your own in Hawaii. By definition you are capable, because you are considering the bike option, and renting a car. You can book thru several discounters, such as Tom's Barefoot Hawaii all of the excursions that you could possibly want to do in Hawaii. You can also book directly with most of the operations if you know them or can do a search by interest on the various islands to contact the vendors direct. I have done both. I think Tom's had in 2001 about 5 or 6 different vendors on the Maui downhill sunrise excursion. I would guess that there was more than 15 vans with bikes waiting for the sun to come up and well over 100 bikes. Each group was lead by a van and followed by another vehicle which kept the groups separate from each other. The put the light people in front, to limit the speed. Since my DW weighs about 115# and I weigh about 190#, I had to ride my brakes constantly to not go blowing by the lighter folks. I remember one vendor included a trip to a winery. I don't know what the current prices are, but our cost thru Tom's with the vendor they recommended was about $70 and included pickup at the tender pier, transportation to and from, the bike ride and breakfast with cocktail at the end of the bike ride. I think my friends wife was only $45 or so. You can pretty much book an excursion pretty much how you want. Only thing you can't change is when that ole sun comes up! :D

jc
ps you can email at the address in my signature if you want to ask me specific questions, as I don't want to take over any of these Hawaii threads because I am not qualified in any shape form or fashion as a Hawaii expert. I can only tell you about my personal experiences.:o

H20 Lover
June 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
RCCL's Maui Bike Ride (http://shorex.rccl.com/RC/AvailList.asp?pmode=Browse&ShoreXSessionID=B15C72D1F0C240CB983D131208B60B74&pagreement=&pdest=HAWAI&pdestname=Hawaii&pship=+&pvoyage=Wed+Jun+22+14%3A48%3A19+EDT+2005&plksessionid=F4A427C60F&pcur=USD&preflang=ENG&pport=MA+&pportname=Lahaina%2C+Maui%2C+Hawaiian+Islands&peventdate=Wed+Jun+22+14%3A48%3A12+EDT+2005&pshorexid=9300&pshorexdescid=23084&pshorextitle=Volcano+Downhill+Bike+Tour&padultamt=125&pchildamt=125&plocationtype=null)

I hope this link works. :D

spleen93
June 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Steph - sorry, no further input on the parking at the pier issue. I have heard that it's not a problem and others have mentioned some difficulties. Maybe Bob and Sandi will chime in? And there are Starbucks(es?) on Maui - it's just that I'm pretty sure that they're not open 24 hrs/day! :)

Spleen

Aloha_Jackie
June 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Cruiser Phils provided early morning coffee and danish/muffins prior to our ride at their HQ near the airport while they loaded all the equipment and we waited for everyone to meet there

Macheteman
September 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM
To the person who wrote in about the biking tours. I live up here on the Volcano I see and have seen these tours for 15 years now. I would NOT recommend going on one.

There are several reasons for this strong recommendation:

1) SAFETY. The most important. This whole industry has a horrific safety record. The head Doctor at Maui Memorial Hospital's ER has been quoted in the Maui News as saying that the bike tour rides are one of the most dangerous activites a person can do on our island and perhaps the whole state. They are seeing on the average an accident everyother day in the ER. Some are very serious. Last year a woman was left in a paraplegic condition. There have been between 8 to 12 deaths on these tours.

2) SIGHTSEEING? The ride itself can often be wet and cold with little or no view due to fog and rain. The curves and turns are such that it is dangerous and unwise to keep your eyes off of the roadway, which leaves little time for siteseeing.

3) CONFLICTS. Residents and locals in the upcountry area the bikes pass through, Kula, Makawao, and Paia for example are very upset with this industry. Confrontations between vehicle drivers and bike company riders are common. Many fights have taken place, as well as car and truck drivers yelling at the tour companies to stop blocking the roadways.

As I write this reply the State of Hawaii as well as the County of Maui are looking into this industry. Calls have been made for the Attorney General's Office to investigate the bike tour industries.

I hope anyone reading this will consider the facts. Do yourself a big favor, skip this one.

ERAMP76
September 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Sounds like the last poster is on a tear to get the bike rides banned. If I were anyone considering the ride, I would do it! We did it and it was one of the highlights of our trip! We used Maui Downhill, and it was very safe. I would do it all over again.:)

Aloha_Jackie
September 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Aloha Everyone! :)

I cant hold back either!!

1. Notice this reply has one post

Background: Some Locals (total stoners, I might add) were not happy as they drove past us and made nasty remarks, I just waved and smiled and pretended that I thought they were saying something nice

All the townsfolk were nice and happy to see us, thru Paia, Makawao and Kula etc

We used Cruiser Phils and had a GREAT time! You can see the scenery in no better way, smell the trees and flora and fauna because you are up close and personal, right there, not in the back of a huge diesel bus with the windows shut and AC on

So - duh (and I hate that word), keep your eyes on the road - follow the safety regulations and dont go faster than the person in front of you etc. Can you say common sense? Of course accidents are bound to happen, but I imagine that if these guys are still able to be insured etc - shouldnt be that big of a deal

I say - GO FOR IT! Have fun! Be careful, respectful, etc

Heckwithit - Tell them I sent you! :D

dizzy lizzy
September 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM
We just got back from our cruise and the downhill bike ride was the highlight of our trip. Yes, it can be quite dangerous (but so can riding in a car going up and down that volcano) but our tour guide was quite thorough going over the rules and he would stop often right at first to make sure everyone was ok with the ride and to tell some to fall back if they were staying a little too close to the person in front of them. I admit, I didn't take my eyes off the road for a ways once we started down (I made sure to look at the scenery while on the way up!), but once I was comfortable with the bike and relaxed it was great fun. Our guide put the lightest riders first so they would set the pace. One younger girl 2 riders in front of me slowed down a lot before curves so that made everyone else slow too, which was probably a good thing. It was kinda scarey meeting a car on the curve with no guard rail! :eek: I think the locals don't like it because there are SO many bike riders.

spleen93
September 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I will echo one thing though. I have worked in the emergency room at Maui Memorial and have some friends who work as general surgeons on Maui and take trauma call for the hospital. We have seen a number of tourists brought in for injuries (some very serious) that have taken place during the bicycle rides - it's not that it's inherently unsafe but sightseeing on a downhill VERY curvy course on a bicycle when some people may not have ridden a bicycle in a while CAN be dangerous if people get careless. They would agree that doing the downhill ride is dangerous, should be avoided, and would never take their friends/family on those tours.

YMMV as always.

Spleen

Aloha_Jackie
September 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
YMMV? Jackie-the-lame-o

spleen93
September 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry, old school Internet. :)

YMMV = Your mileage may vary (meaning everybody's experiences will likely be a little different)

Spleen

Aloha_Jackie
September 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
:D sorry - modern day senior moment

Macheteman
October 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Go to www.bikemauisafety.com (which should be on line by late October, 2006) Here you will be given facts about the dangers of the bike tour rides. You can also read complaints from customers of the industry as well as local residents. Also you will have links that take you to articles written in local newspapers. This way you will be fully informed before you make a decision that could change your life forever. In the meantime you can go to www.mauinews.com and type in, bike accidents on maui, and you can see some of the problems that occur with these companies.

I recommend you don't take this ride. There are several reasons for this strong recommendation:

1) SAFETY. The most important. This whole industry has a horrific safety record. The head Doctor at Maui Memorial Hospital's ER has been quoted in the Maui News as saying that the bike tour rides are one of the most dangerous activites a person can do on our island and perhaps the whole state. They are seeing on the average an accident everyother day in the ER. Some are very serious. Last year a woman was left in a paraplegic condition. There have been atleast 8 deaths on these tours. The accidents are sometimes caused by people riding in unsafe manner but that is not the usual case. Deaths have ranged between 17 years of age to 73. The most recent death was this September of 2006.

2) SIGHTSEEING? The ride itself can often be wet and cold with little or no view due to fog and rain. The curves and turns are such that it is dangerous and unwise to keep your eyes off of the roadway, which leaves little time for siteseeing.

3) CONFLICTS. Residents and locals in the upcountry area the bikes pass through, Kula, Makawao, and Paia for example are very upset with this industry. Confrontations between vehicle drivers and bike company riders are common. Many fights have taken place, as well as car and truck drivers yelling at the tour companies to stop blocking the roadways. (See www.MauiNews.com, type in bike accidents on Maui)

As I write this reply the State of Hawaii as well as the County of Maui are looking into this industry. Calls have been made for the Attorney General's Office to investigate the bike tour industries.

I hope anyone reading this will consider the facts. Do yourself a big favor, skip this one.[/QUOTE]

bug_dan
October 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
One post or 2445 posts, what's the difference?????

Aloha_Jackie
October 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Aloha -

there was talk elsewhere about trollism and motivation for the original posting - one other posting was removed and other events had taken place

obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion

Have a good one!

p.s. I still recommend that everyone who is physically able - take the tour

Be safe and have fun!

SQUAREROOT
October 14th, 2006, 01:41 AM
forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to just drive there in the morning, watch the sunrise, observe the scenery then drive back instead of doing the downhill bike?

spleen93
October 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM
forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to just drive there in the morning, watch the sunrise, observe the scenery then drive back instead of doing the downhill bike?
Absolutely. Many people do exactly that.

Spleen

lindajeff
October 15th, 2006, 07:32 PM
We were on the Pride of Hawaii in September. As we overnighted in Maui, we did the Haleakala downhill on day #2 with Mountain Riders. We opted not to do the sunrise version. Only 8 in our group and the guide was very safety concious. It was one of the highlights of the trip. (BTW, we rode the van thru Makawao so as not to disturb the local populace - also a lot safer because of multiple intersections, stop signs, etc.)

Also, PoH docks at Maui - why do so many of you keep talking about tenders? Another eason to go on Poh, perhaps? Finally, although we didn't keep our car rental for day #2, there were at least 3 free parking lots for cruise passenger use at the pier.

SQUAREROOT
October 16th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the info Spleen93! Appreciate it. :P