PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Titanic and cruise today

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo!:D I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

One word: AZIPODS!!

Rats in steerage?? lol!:eek:

Au48
April 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.

I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?

Au48
April 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?

They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.

rufustelestrat
April 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
bow and stern thrusters. Small secondary thrusting propellers embedded in the bow and stern in order to push or pull the ship sideways, or even rotate the ship.
RUF

Jlrymedic
April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo!:D I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

How about the most important word....lifeboats (for all passengers) :D

daveco58
April 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference

Au48
April 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference

Haha, on Cunard, they still have the whole class system going!

daveco58
April 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.

actually, you make the ship go in circles by driving one side's props forward, and the other side in reverse. Even with Azipods

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
How about the most important word....lifeboats (for all passengers) :D

GOOD answer! :D

daveco58
April 2nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
true, but they are about the only one

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:31 AM

Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point! ;)

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Just thought of a couple more:

Betting your cruise tickets in a poker game!!:eek: :D

Women wearing hats on deck on Titanic, and those hats are NOT sombreros!! ;)

Jlrymedic
April 2nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point! ;)

Don't they realize it is impossible to just 'fall', she had to have been drunk and doing something stupid, or pushed.....:D

just trying to maintain the concience of the boards

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 12:40 AM
I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Not to mention the Titanic was never christened, I believe that most cruise ships today are

and the rice of a single first-class ticket was $4,700 back in 1912 which today would $50,000, a lot more than the regular 2-3,000.00 suite!

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!

There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.
They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have! :)
They didnt find any proof though!

maddea20
April 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
stowaways?

Jlrymedic
April 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
passports?

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.
They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have! :)
They didnt find any proof though!

Yep, that was the one i watched! Just the fact that we can now see video of the ship on the floor of the ocean is amazing to me! I would love to see the tour of the artifacts recovered from Titanic, but i doubt that tour comes anywhere around West Texas, lol!! Probably more like New York and places like that!

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
OMG there is one here in Atlanta....
I want to go soooooooo bad.... I can not convince my fiance to go with me.
I dont have any friends that are fanatical or can even begin to appreciate the artifacts!
How does a drive to Atlanta sound!?!? :) :D

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
I keep thinking of more as I watch the show!

No topless deck! I've never heard of one on Titanic anyway!;)

Ladies lounging in lounge chairs with loooong dresses on!!:eek:

luvmytbear
April 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM
How about the size of the suites? Some of those in the movie had like 3-4 different HUGE rooms.

I don't think the cruise ships nowadays store CARS on them either!

Oh yeah...no "health inspections" either.

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Leigh - how dare you! hah, now I want to pull out my Titanic dvd and watch it. But I got to be to work at 7 am and its already going on 1 a.m :eek:

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
OMG there is one here in Atlanta....
I want to go soooooooo bad.... I can not convince my fiance to go with me.
I dont have any friends that are fanatical or can even begin to appreciate the artifacts!
How does a drive to Atlanta sound!?!? :) :D

ROAD TRIP!!! :D Let's see: West Texas to Atlanta? Straight drive on I-20, or is is I-10? lol!!:confused:

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
haha I believe I-20 ... I think I-10 will lead you to Florida... which post cruise after Titanic artifacts wouldn't be too bad! :) :D

Btw I have family in North Texas - Witchita Falls / Windthorst!

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
How about the size of the suites? Some of those in the movie had like 3-4 different HUGE rooms.

My first thought when i did this thread was the "lice" inspection! lol!

Can you imagine walking around the ship and seeing a CAR being hoisted into the ship? :eek:

Jlrymedic
April 2nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
ROAD TRIP!!! :D Let's see: West Texas to Atlanta? Straight drive on I-20, or is is I-10? lol!!:confused:

If you wear astronaut approved diapers, you won't have to stop! ;)

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
No FOO FOO drinks!!! :(

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
How about running to board the ship with only 5 minutes to get there, and actually MAKING it? Sounds like the beginning of watching for latecomers to me!:D

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
No lookout tower :eek:

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
No lookout tower :eek:

Oh YEAH! Here are some more:

CORSET (misp??) Poor Rose, having to wear that awful thing, lol!:eek:

No ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, Flowriders, etc.

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
No TOWEL ANIMALS!!:D

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
I could go all night.... however, I think its my bedtime hah :)
Good night all. Have fun watching Titanic.
If I ever get around to that Titanic artifact thing I will try to take some photos or at least contact you and let you know how it is!!!

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 01:11 AM
No Muster DRILL! :eek:

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM

ROFL!!!!! :D :D :D :cool:

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
I could go all night.... however, I think its my bedtime hah :)
Good night all. Have fun watching Titanic.
If I ever get around to that Titanic artifact thing I will try to take some photos or at least contact you and let you know how it is!!!

That would be GREAT! I hope you get to go sometime! Good night!!

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
No CHAIR HOGS!! Hey, we can dream, can't we?:D

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Ok, I have got to go to bed! Here are some more:

No "gold by the inch"

No "spring breakers"

No "steering wheel" the size of a flying saucer!:D

caribbean dreams
April 2nd, 2007, 03:54 AM
~No after dinner cigars in the dinner room anymore.

~The orchestra has been replaced by DJ's

~and what would we all do without the Not So Newlywed Game & hairy chest contest:eek:

newcastle.uk
April 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM
the titanic exhibition is quite good, but if you believe the stories, you can climb the real titanic stairway at alnwick england. was it just an insurance scam?

Crusin Karen
April 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
OMG...can't believe noone else thought of this....no SIGN AND SALE CARD! :p

popcorngal
April 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
We visited the Titanic exhibit two years ago, and it was quite amazing...complete with a piece of the hull that you could actually touch!

How about no shoveling coal into the boilers

And my favorite...no access to the bow to be "King of the World"!

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM

Good one! I hadn't thought of that one!

vijoge
April 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Just imagine how much booze you could smuggle on board in a steamer trunk!

fantavet
April 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
My Titanic difference.....

I can book an inside cabin on the lower deck without fear of a gate closing off the stairwell when the boat begins to sink.

Well I ASSUME there is no gate. I have to check that out now :D

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
My Titanic difference.....

I can book an inside cabin on the lower deck without fear of a gate closing off the stairwell when the boat begins to sink.

Well I ASSUME there is no gate. I have to check that out now :D

LOL! Although they DO have fire doors!?;)

daiB
April 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
What about the Loos, no ensuite in those days even in suites.

We all had to pee together.:eek:

The Alnwick reference is to the First class dining room from The Olympic a sister ship of Titanic. When it was broken up a hotelier from The White Swan in Alnwick bought up the woodwork and the ceiling and installed them into a room at the back of his Hotel. It is there now and a magnificent room it is.

Oh yes formal night every night.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

SheriNtexas
April 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
[quote=daiB;9645851]Oh yes formal night every night.

In the movie the rich ladies are walking on the deck when the, what was it, a trumpet, sounded the call to dinner? lol! Can you imagine THAT on a cruise ship today, lol!!

CPT Trips
April 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
No jeans, t-shirts or tank tops in the dining rooms.
No chair hogs.

daiB
April 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
But. Did you have to bring your own Butler????.

And

Was there a swimming pool? And no, I do not mean the one at the end of the movie:mad:, how could you suggest that.:eek:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:
Dai

vijoge
April 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
But. Did you have to bring your own Butler????.

Not in steerage. . .;)

jobster71
April 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
I bet they did not have yummy chocolate under their pillow. No free samples in their bathrooms. No patch behind thier ears.

vijoge
April 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
No Rasul for Two

julieanne
April 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
We visited the Titanic exhibit two years ago, and it was quite amazing...complete with a piece of the hull that you could actually touch!

How about no shoveling coal into the boilers

We saw it too! It was wonderful! Did yours have an iceberg? We saw it in Vegas? From my recollection, they didn't allow photos!!

Tannersgramp
April 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Todays cruiseships make more than one cruise :D

daiB
April 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Today's cruiseships make more than one cruise :D

That's not very nice:(. Accurate, but not nice. I thought my swimming pool one was bad ;) but this is worse.

Bad taste prize goes to Mr.Tannersgramp. By a short head, or a large iceberg. Sorry I could not resist that one.

Dai

shebring02lx
April 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Was there a swimming pool? And no, I do not mean the one at the end of the movie:mad:, how could you suggest that.:eek:

Titanic did have a pool.... an indoor one

http://www.deepimage.co.uk/wrecks/titanic/titanic%20images/archive-images/archive-thumb/titanic-s-swimmingpool.jpg

PurpleCow
April 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
No verandas?

caribbean dreams
April 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
No verandas?

I thought Rose ate breakfast one morning on her huge Veranda?
or is that just in the Movie?

daiB
April 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Four Smokestacks:confused::confused:

So she wasn't a no smoking ship:confused::confused: Sorry wrong thread!!!!!

Happy Cruising

Dai

Tannersgramp
April 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
That's not very nice:(. Accurate, but not nice. I thought my swimming pool one was bad ;) but this is worse.

Bad taste prize goes to Mr.Tannersgramp. By a short head, or a large iceberg. Sorry I could not resist that one.

Dai
Gosh.. you mean I won? I never win anything, so this is how it feels.;)

BruceMuzz
April 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
The White Star Line, operator of the RMS Titanic, would not accept passengers who were "deaf, dumb, blind, insane, or over the age of 60 years".

sullaRaffaello
April 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Haha, on Cunard, they still have the whole class system going!

False.

daiB
April 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
The White Star Line, operator of the RMS Titanic, would not accept passengers who were "deaf, dumb, blind, insane, or over the age of 60 years".

Well that has just ruled out 80% of cruisers today:eek:, and that is just the insane ones. I bet if you had pots of cash they might overlook some of these criteria.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

Dai

KRUISE KING
April 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
NO WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST WHEN IT COMES TO LIFE BOATS THESE DAYS IT WOULD BE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!:eek:

Gingee
April 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
We went to the Titanic artifacts and went through the make believe "Titanic". We each got a card that gave us a name and some information about us. In the end you look on the wall to see if you lived or not. My husband didn't but I did and so did my daughter and her friend.
I touched the "ice" brrr. It was pretty neat.

Gingee
April 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Nobody over 60? I thought there was some old people on the Titanic.

mamamo65
April 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM

I seem to remember hearing about a package deal a few years back. Take the QE2 over and pick up your new Mercedes. Car was then loaded on the cruise ship to return to the US. Course, I don't think I could take that trip even if I won the lottery!:eek:

daveco58
April 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
did anyone mention mail? No RMS's left, that I know of. No, wait, the one that goes to St Helena, I think. Anyway, darn few.

Dawn125408
April 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
For anyone who enjoys the history of the Titanic - I bought a CD game a couple of years ago titled "TITANIC Adventure Out of Time". It's put out by Cyberflix. The game received awards because it is the exact replica of the real Titanic. It's an interactive game (mystery) with talking charactors. It is my favorite computer game. You find clues throughout the ship. Lots of fun, and weird because it is so authentic.

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Of course the Titanic did not have message boards for people to review the ship and look forward to their next cruise.:cool:

And people in Whitley Bay could not communicate with people in Up State New York with such ease.

How we have moved on!! And how much do we just take it for granted!!!

Better not to think to much about it.

Dai

R We There Yet?
April 4th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Muahaha......I got it!

R We There Yet?
April 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM

I don't know, with all the talk in another thread about "secret doors" all over the place, one of them just might lead to it....lol.

Tannersgramp
April 4th, 2007, 09:29 AM
The Titanic had a much better deep sea program:o

SheriNtexas
April 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM

:eek: Now THAT was bad!!!:)

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM

You cannot win again, the prizes have to be shared around.

But I agree really BAD.:eek:

:)Hapy Cruising:)

:cool:Dai

Grandpaul
April 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Jay Leno had a good one last month. He said that the last surviving AMerican on the Titanic had died a couple days ago. He said it was especially sad because she was only a hundred yards form the shore.

Tinkerbell647
April 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Jay Leno had a good one last month. He said that the last surviving AMerican on the Titanic had died a couple days ago. He said it was especially sad because she was only a hundred yards form the shore.

LOL !!!! :rolleyes:

daveco58
April 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
of course, we have missed the most obvious difference. Todays cruise ships are mostly above sea level

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
of course, we have missed the most obvious difference. Todays cruise ships are mostly above sea level

And thats not nice either:mad::mad:

But it is a challenger to Tannersgramp.

Lets say - 15 all. Mr Tannersgramp to serve.

Dai

Tannersgramp
April 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
And thats not nice either :mad:
But it is a challenger to Tannersgramp.

Lets say - 15 all. Mr Tannersgramp to serve.

Dai
I accept the thrown down gauntlet..........Todays cruises have much better debarkation procedures:D

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I accept the thrown down gauntlet..........Todays cruises have much better debarkation procedures

30-15

Mr daveco58 to serve

Should that be, 'disembarkation' the line judge has called. The Referee is awaiting an appeal from the players or the crowd.

Dai

Tannersgramp
April 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
30-15

Mr daveco58 to serve

:):)Happy cruising

Should that be, 'disembarkation' the line judge has called. The Referee is awaiting an appeal from the players or the crowd.

Dai
Its aganist cc polecy to corregt spiling ears:D

brn2crz
April 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but,most ships today don't carry cars on them :)

daveco58
April 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
30-15

Mr daveco58 to serve

Dai

Two-piece ships, not so popular today

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Two-piece ships, not so popular today

Now thats 30 - 30

The umpire has allowed Mr Tannersgramp last effort to stand the crowd are aghast.

Hush falls as it is Mr Tannersgramp to serve.

Dai

Tannersgramp
April 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
1st shark to 2nd shark: "Not bad for cruise line food":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
1st shark to 2nd shark: "Not bad for cruise line food"

40 -30

The crowd are on their feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr daveco58 to serve, he needs an Ace here.

Dai

daiB
April 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Well as you can see the players have left the court as the umbrellas have gone up and the covers have come on. Rain has stopped play.

It is hoped that play will resume tomorrow in this tense match. Can I just reiterate the score: Mr Tannersgramp leads Mr daveco58, 40 - 30 in the final of the Bad Taste Trophy.

Dai

daveco58
April 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Well as you can see the players have left the court as the umbrellas have gone up and the covers have come on. Rain has stopped play.

It is hoped that play will resume tomorrow in this tense match. Can I just reiterate the score: Mr Tannersgramp leads Mr daveco58, 40 - 30 in the final of the Bad Taste Trophy.

Dai

None of the Titanic passengers got a Norovirus

daveco58
April 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I read recently, that there was a commemorative celebration in Belfast, Ireland, where the Titanic was built. Am I to assume, given the number of Englishmen aboard, that the Irish would consider her maiden voyage a success?

Tenga1899
April 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Nobody's compared the ship sizes...

Titantic was a little over 46,000 tons, 882 feet long, 92 feet wide, 9 decks, about 3000 people(pax&crew) on board and managed 21 knots straight into an iceberg...

Carnival's Holiday is slightly over 46,000 tons, 728 feet long, 92 feet wide, 9 decks, about 2000 people total on board and rumbles at 21 knots

Carnival's Sensation is 70,367 tons, 855 feet long, 103 feet wide, with 10 decks, around 3000 people on board and manages 21 knots

The Carnival Conquest is 110,000 tons, 952 feet long, 116 feet wide, has 13 decks, with 4100 people on board and makes 21 knots

The "Largest Ship On The Sea" now is the Freedom of the Seas, which is about 154,407 tons, 1,112 feet long, 184 feet wide, has 15 decks, with 5,700 people on board and makes almost 22 knots

Tannersgramp
April 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM
None of the Titanic passengers got a Norovirus
Thats because they did a good job of washing up:D

BruceMuzz
April 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
RMS Titanic did not ask passengers to complete comment cards. Neither did any other passenger ship.
If you liked the product, you came back. If you didn't like it, you could go somewhere else.

Grandpaul
April 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I guess you could say the first ice carving took place at the bow of the Titanic.

LHP
April 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
actually, you make the ship go in circles by driving one side's props forward, and the other side in reverse. Even with Azipods

I make the ship go around in circles by drinking to much rum. :eek:

littledog
April 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Apparently, they still go down. What a sad day for cruisers.

Sincerely,

Tanya

littledog
April 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Not too much apparently. Those poor people over in the Greek Isles.

Tanya

Tannersgramp
April 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Not too much apparently. Those poor people over in the Greek Isles.

Tanya
Except nobody went down with the ship

Although the string quartet played until the very end:rolleyes:

mamaofami
April 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
The idea that a cruise ship could sink today has me amazed. I didn't think that could happen anymore, and only a mile from shore too. What a very sad day. And there are two passangers missing still.

daveco58
April 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM
The idea that a cruise ship could sink today has me amazed. I didn't think that could happen anymore, and only a mile from shore too. What a very sad day. And there are two passangers missing still.

Not sure why you would think that couldnt happen. Passenger ships sink pretty regularly. Most often ferries. But ships do run aground, and get hit by bad weather, etc. Theres generally only about a half inch of metal between you and disaster. And, praise God, when they run aground, or have a fire or something, there is generally plenty of time, as in this case, to evacuate passengers and crew. I am amazed that apparently, only two people are missing.

but to quote someones signature line on this forum "theres still more planes in the sea, than ships in the sky"

BobBeaSea
April 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I think the two passengers missing are a father and daughter, very sad. Cruise ships can and will sink, nothing is "unsinkable". The Titanic is a favourite of mine, truly a marvelous class of vessels. As tragic as her sinking was she is not even close to being the greatest disaster at sea, there have been some much worse.

Cuizer2
April 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM

That is not true. Azipods turn. When the ship wants to turn sharply, the Azipods are turned 90 degrees.

daveco58
April 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
That is not true. Azipods turn. When the ship wants to turn sharply, the Azipods are turned 90 degrees.

by reversing one pod 180 degrees from the other(they swivel 360 deg) the ship can spin in a radius of exactly the distance from the pods to the bow of the ship.
Not turn sharply, but spin.

Cuizer2
April 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
by reversing one pod 180 degrees from the other(they swivel 360 deg) the ship can spin in a radius of exactly the distance from the pods to the bow of the ship.
Not turn sharply, but spin.

If the ship turns 90 degrees, it is a turn. If the ship turns 180 then it is spinning.

BruceMuzz
April 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Getting back to the original thread.............................

Dinner in the specialty restaurant (Ritz Restaurant) on Titanic cost about $100 per person (without alcohol) in 1912. That same year the average American earned a total of $300.

In 1912, nobody had heard of Fixed Traditional Dining. You had a table assigned to your cabin for the duration of the cruise. You went to that table when you were hungry, possibly invited others to join you there, and stayed until you were ready to leave.

Mass feeding in shifts (later known as traditional fixed seating) only became "traditional" in the 1960s / 1970s.

tiyana4
May 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM
NO WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST WHEN IT COMES TO LIFE BOATS THESE DAYS IT WOULD BE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!:eek:

I can't believe no one mentioned this one yet....$30 SODA CARDS!:mad:

How about 15% gratuity for Bar drinks or the recommended tipping amounts in general? It's my understanding that tipping is very different overseas than in the Americas.:eek:

Another one I don't recall seeing.......Motorized Scooters! Watch out toes.:D

Teenagers in their OWN rooms while Mom & Dad are in a Jr suite on another deck. Families used to travel together & stay together (Maybe they were with the nanny on the Titanic).:p