PDA

View Full Version : Crystal 8221 Dover to new York

player 91362
September 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Anyone booked as far ahead as we are for this 9/2/08 cruise. As long time Crystal cruisers as well as other lines the itinerary on this one was intriguing. We live in Ventura County in Southern Calif. and would like to hear from others on this cruise. Player 91362

ab0si
September 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Four of us (two couples who have travelled together several times before on Crystal) are signed up for this cruise. We have done several crossings (Pacific and Atlantic) together but never the Northern crossing.

Incidently (well actually completely off the subject)... one can now directly fly between the U.S. and Greendland and Air Greenland. The most intertesting part of this (to me) is that their one and only U.S. destination is Baltimore. Who knew that Baltimaore was a hotbed of Greenlanders? <grin>

Paul

player 91362
September 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hi Paul,
I think we all will enjoy this trip. It would be nice to fly directly to Greenland. I read an article about Nuuk. We will attempt to fly to Gatwick. Heathrow was a real zoo this summer. We have not been on Crystal for about 2 years sp we are very much looking forward to this crusie. player 91362 (Cynthia)

NHBob
September 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I just booked this cruise today, back to back with the NY - Montreal cruise that follows.

I did similar crossing on Symphony a couple of years ago, Southampton to NY, but with several different ports of call. Had a great time - good balance of port days and sea days. Start saying your prayers that Prince Christian's sound in Greenland will be open - they never know if ice conditions will be ok for passage until the day before. We were lucky, only hitting one small iceberg in the process!

Margie2
September 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
We are booked on this cruise as well. I have always wanted to visit Iceland and am excited about finally doing a transatlantic trip.

Margie

Suite Travels
September 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Margie, we did this cruise and loved it. Be sure to pack some warm clothes as it was cold and damp when we were there. The other cruise which is even better than the crossing was the Cape Horn cruise. We would do it again.

luvs2cruzga
October 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I booked this cruise for my husband and myself back in Feb/2007. This will be our 4th cruise on the Symphony. I am really looking forward to sailing on her again. I booked my own air using FF miles to day from Atlanta to London. I can book our return flight home when it closer to cruising time. Many airlines fly from Newark or New York to Atlanta. I am not worried about that leg. I wanted to fly first class over to London, however. We are flying in on September 1 and will book a one night post cruise hotel with Crystal, or shall I say, I will have my TA do it next week.

Margate Cruiser
October 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
We just came off 7222 from Dover to NY. It was the best. We had high seas 50 ft waves. But the ship took it great no problems at all. great shows great speakers. You will have a great time.

NHBob
October 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
We just came off 7222 from Dover to NY. It was the best. We had high seas 50 ft waves. But the ship took it great no problems at all. great shows great speakers. You will have a great time.

I'm curious - were you able to transit Prince Christian's Sound in Greenland? We were lucky to be able to go through when I did this crossing in 2005, but I understand ice conditions often prevent it.

I was pleased with how well Symphony handled rough seas - I don't think we had any 50' waves, but did have about 24 hours of 40' seas. It made dancing in Palm Court quite an adventure, although motion wasn't bad in Starlite.

I'm booked again for 2008 - that's how much I enjoyed this crossing.

Hope you'll post a review on the Members Reviews page.

nancygp
October 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yes, we were very fortunate to go through Prince Christian's sound. We didn't experience the really rough weather until after we left Nuuk.

Nancy

Out2See
October 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
is truly spectacular. I was on 7222, one of the great cruises ever. Captain Giske announced the night before that he was going to try it. We entered about 6 am and came out about 2 pm. I took this from the Sun Deck. The way the clouds hung to the sides of the cliffs was amazing.

player 91362
October 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
We are planning to get in to Gatwick the day before we leave from Dover. Does anyone know of a reliable shuttle service from Gatwick to Dover? My travel agent is also checking. Thanks Cynthia also known as Player 91362

bellagirl
October 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Hi-we're seriously considering this cruise,but have one question. Since we're from the Maritimes in Canada, would it be possible to use Halifax as our disembarkation port? This would save us the airfare from New York back home again? Thanks for all replies.

luvs2cruzga
October 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds like a question for your TA or Crystal directly. I wouldn't think it would be problem though. I think I remember someone doing that on one of our other cruises - not a Crystal sailing, however

nancygp
October 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Bellagirl, on the last crossing, I met a women who disemarked in Halifax so I'm sure it can be done. Just have your TA check on this with Crystal. I highly recommend this itinerary.

Nancy

NHBob
October 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM
We are planning to get in to Gatwick the day before we leave from Dover. Does anyone know of a reliable shuttle service from Gatwick to Dover? My travel agent is also checking. Thanks Cynthia also known as Player 91362

There appears to be pretty good, fast, train service from Gatwick to Dover without going into London.

Check the following website: http://www.rail.co.uk/ukrail/planner/planner.htm

I'm going to try to go through Gatwick instead of LHR, if I can get United to route me that way using half of an award ticket I'm holding, using Star Alliance partner US Airways.

Bob

bellagirl
October 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks to all that replied. I will ask my TA if this is a possibility. Shelly:)

player 91362
October 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks Bob. I will check it out although I think I might prefer the van shuttle . We flew in to Heathrow this summer and it was like a zoo so we made up our minds to go some other way. Our ta will be checking out
Delta tomorrow. we have enough miles it there is room. Player 91362 Cynthia

Keith1010
October 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM

I am not sure if this is a possibility for you, but one thing to consider is the Crystal Hotel Program. Even if you make your own travel airline arrangements, the program would still include your transfers after you arrive at London Gatwick from the airport to the Hotel and on the day of embarkation your transfer from the Hotel to Dover. Just something to consider as the transporation does cost quite a bit particularly when you double the price for the United States dollar to British pound conversion. We've use the Crystal Hotel program two different times in London and it worked out very well for us and the last time we used it we were able to check into the Hotel as soon as we arrive fairly early in the morning and of course they time it perfectly to get you from the Hotel to the cruise ship on the day of embarkation.

If you want to go with your own van we have used Woodford Chauffer a couple of times during our stays in London. Their web site is

www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk (http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk)

You will find their e mail on the site and you can give them the particulars to get a price quote.

You might want to also post the same question on the British Isles Board under the Port of Call section as I'm sure you will get several recommendations to choose from.

Keith

Margie2
October 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Cynthia! We are flying from Cork (husband requires 4 days of golf in Ireland before boarding) on Sept. 1 into either Gatwick or Heathrow depending on his tee time that day. We are hiring a driver to take us down to Dover that night. In 2005, we used a service called airporttransfers.biz and we plan to use them again. Their prices haven't increased much - it's the pound that's a killer. Last time we stayed for 2 nights at the Churchill Best Western because it is very close to the center of town so I would have something to do while Ronnie played golf. I even have a Kent library card I spent so much time there. But I found the hotel depressing. This time we are booked at the Ramada in Whitfield (5 miles from the ship) which is supposed to be a nicer hotel. I won't be doing any sightseeing before boarding so I don't mind being a couple of miles from the town.

Margie

player 91362
October 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I am not sure if this is a possibility for you, but one thing to consider is the Crystal Hotel Program. Even if you make your own travel airline arrangements, the program would still include your transfers after you arrive at London Gatwick from the airport to the Hotel and on the day of embarkation your transfer from the Hotel to Dover. Just something to consider as the transporation does cost quite a bit particularly when you double the price for the United States dollar to British pound conversion. We've use the Crystal Hotel program two different times in London and it worked out very well for us and the last time we used it we were able to check into the Hotel as soon as we arrive fairly early in the morning and of course they time it perfectly to get you from the Hotel to the cruise ship on the day of embarkation.

If you want to go with your own van we have used Woodford Chauffer a couple of times during our stays in London. Their web site is

www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk (http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk)

You will find their e mail on the site and you can give them the particulars to get a price quote.

You might want to also post the same question on the British Isles Board under the Port of Call section as I'm sure you will get several recommendations to choose from.

Keith
Thanks Keith. Will check out both the Crystal program and the Woodford Chauffeurs. Cynthia ( Player 91362)

player 91362
October 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the transfer service. We are also booked at the Best Western and am reading some terrible reviews. My ta tells me that much is booked up in Dover already. I am still going to try to find another place. Who would think everything is booked up so early? Cynthia

player 91362
October 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Margie. response is down below. I will never get the hang of this board. Cynthia

LoveDeck10
October 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM
If your husband hasn't picked out his courses yet, My hubbie played Fota Island with Crystal this past August in Cork. He really enjoyed the course.

ancientmariner
January 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm also booked on this cruise in September. I'm a Crystal Virgin, so it was interesting to read all the above. I've been told Crystal are excellent for solo passengers. I've just completed my first cruise with Oceania, which I loved; best food so far. How does Crystal compare against Oceania? I fear I may never be able to cruise with P & O, Princess, HAL, and the rest of the Carnival progeny now I've tasted gourmet cuisine.

Any comments would be welcomed. Anyone else from the UK booked on this cruise so far?

Ant@sea
January 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
I also sailed this past year on V 7222 and it was really an amazing combination of great ports and wonderful days at sea with a fantastic assortment of lecturers.

I stayed at the Best Western...It was just basically a place to hang my head for one night before the cruise--pretty spartan rooms, but it is right on the waterfront so on embarkation day you can see the ship tied up. Plus it is a short walk to the main shopping street and restaurants if you need to pick up anything before you sail, and only 5 minutes from the pier. There is another better quality hotel who's name escapes me but its way out of town on some highway so once you're there, thats it.
If you do stay at the Best Western do yourself a favor and at check-in order a taxi for the next day as they are in short supply--there was a telephone by the desk with a direct connection to the taxi company.

NHBob
February 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Decided to go ahead and start a roll call for the September TA. Names I have so far, from future bookings thread, are:

Worldover
Margie2 (Margie/Ronald)
Player 91362 (Cynthia/Marty)
NHBob (Bob)
luvs2crurGA (Russ/Shirley)
JimME (Jim/Dotti)
AbOsi (Paul)
AncientMariner

I'll update list at least once if necessary before I leave on a cruise March 14th, and again when I get home first week of April. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Bob

PS: So far I seem to be the only one on the next cruise, #8222, NY Montreal. Anybody else?

malg1
February 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
We're booked on this cruise as well. Virgins on Crystal but 16 overall before (HAL, Princess. RCCL, Disney). Virgins after 52 years of marriage...that even SOUNDS weird.;)

Mal and Marlene from North Florida, both retired, she an educator and me a lawyer.

We made our own flight arrangements, Orlando to Gatwick on...you guessed it...Virgin Atlantic. We leave MCO on 8/29 and we always stay in Kensington, this time at Harrington Hall...plan to take in 2 shows, Wicked and Spamalot on Saturday and Monday and take a day-trip via the Chunnel train to Paris on Sunday. We'll use that first sea day to relax.

Noticed someone writing from Boca Raton...Marlene has 2 degrees from FAU and I have 1; she also has 1 degree from FSU and I have 2. One of our daughters graduated UF and our son graduated FSU...seemed like we were paying college tuitions all our lives!

I thought a bit about taking the train to Dover, but I cannot lift luggage too well so I think we're going to use Crystal transfer service. It's a tad expensive, but it saves wear and tear on my old bones.

Has anyone given any thought to everyone here on the board meeting on embarkation day for a drink so we can see to whom we've been 'talking' all these months? We've done this on several prior cruises and found it nice to know someone to share on board and excursion experiences.

NHBob
February 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Has anyone given any thought to everyone here on the board meeting on embarkation day for a drink so we can see to whom we've been 'talking' all these months? We've done this on several prior cruises and found it nice to know someone to share on board and excursion experiences.

I recently set up a roll call thread for this cruise - had forgotten about this earlier thread. Link to roll call is
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=717311

I'll keep the roll call updated, but hope somebody will volunteer to set up a CC meet and greet.

Margie2
February 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Please e-mail me at mbm120@aol.com and we can chat about Fau!!

JimME
February 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
We booked this cruise mainly to see or get near Greenland. Also we like the East to West transatlantic cruises as you have to fly only one way between the US and Europe and the time changes are favorable. We have taken the southern route out of Lisbon twice and this will be our first in the North Atlantic. 50' seas sound interesting. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Caroldoll
February 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I keep looking for someone on this cruise. Don't feel bad! I wonder if we are the only ones on each cruise LOL

malg1
February 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I recently set up a roll call thread for this cruise - had forgotten about this earlier thread. Link to roll call is

I'll keep the roll call updated, but hope somebody will volunteer to set up a CC meet and greet.
I have no problem setting up a "drop by and meet" on embarkation day, but I've never seen anything about a cc meet'n'mingle on this line. Think I'll ask our TA when we speak later this week. If there are Crystal Society members with some clout, maybe one or more of them can see what Crystal will do or suggest. We are more than a dozen right now. :cool:...and growing.

There IS a spot on Lido deck 11 called Trident Bar by the pool...and when we've done these before we've usually met at the pool bar since it's open air and the pool area is rarely crowded on embarkation day. Timing might be a bit tricky since scheduled sailaway time is 6pm and they do have a safety drill to complete and supper is right about then as well. Any ideas?

How to recognize someone you've never seen??? EASY, wear Mardi Gras beads...and someone can bring a child's bubble wand and make pretty bubbles in the air. Or wear a unique hat...or the worst I've ever encountered, flamingo pink capris with a lime green tanktop.:eek: But everyone knew exactly who it was and could quickly relate!

malg1
February 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Woodford just quoted these prices for travel from London to Dover...
4 or 5 people 165 GPB per vehicle (about $330) not per person
6 people 195 GPB per vehicle (about $390) not per person
Cash in pounds, they will take US but there an exchange over-ride and they will take AmEx but there's a 5% override.
Crystal charges $165 per person in a bus.
Anyone interested?
Drop me a note
malg1@yahoo.com

NHBob
February 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I keep looking for someone on this cruise. Don't feel bad! I wonder if we are the only ones on each cruise LOL

Sorry, but I'm on 8222 NY-Montreal, so maybe we are the only ones on the respective cruises.

Bob

NHBob
February 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
This is latest list I have been able to put together:

AbOsi (Paul)
AncientMariner (Trudi)
Ant@sea
bellagirl
JimME (Jim/Dotti)
Malg1
Margie2 (Margie/Ronald)
NHBob (Bob)
Worldover

I know it's still early, but accoding to Judeth's updated list of CC's cruising in 2008 and 2009, I'm still the only one on 8222, NY-Montreal! Anybody else out there?

Bob

NHBob
February 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I have no problem setting up a "drop by and meet" on embarkation day, but I've never seen anything about a cc meet'n'mingle on this line. Think I'll ask our TA when we speak later this week. If there are Crystal Society members with some clout, maybe one or more of them can see what Crystal will do or suggest. We are more than a dozen right now. :cool:...and growing.

Thanks, malg1. I've never organized a meet and greet, but did attend one on my recent Serenity TA. It was organized, very well, by another CC'r. There are a couple of her posts on the subject in the roll call thread for that cruise - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=609608, which might help. I know that she had people who were interested send her their real names and cabin numbers, and I think the ship organized it. It was held in a corner of Palm Court at sail-away time.

E-mail me if I can help.

NHBob
February 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM

The separate roll call thread I set up has now been combined with this thread. Therefore, above referenced link is no longer valid.

Bob

shoshona2
March 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hi NHBob,

My DH and I are thinking about booking the London to Boston 2009 Trans-Atlantic and will look forward to your review of the 2008 crossing. I know from the boards that you have done it before. We are good sailors, but have never done an ocean crossing. We almost met you on the Lisbon to Miami crossing on the Serenity last November, but did the Rome to Lisbon instead.

Sheila

NHBob
March 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hi NHBob,

My DH and I are thinking about booking the London to Boston 2009 Trans-Atlantic and will look forward to your review of the 2008 crossing. I know from the boards that you have done it before. We are good sailors, but have never done an ocean crossing. We almost met you on the Lisbon to Miami crossing on the Serenity last November, but did the Rome to Lisbon instead.

Sheila

Hi, Sheila,

I'll certainly post a review of 8221. Also, I did the very similar crossing in the fall of 2005 and had a great time. Wrote a brief review, but apparantly I never posted it, as I can't find it on CC - it may have been before I started posting on CC. I'm a big fan of the ocean crossings, as I'm one of those for whom the ship is my destination.

If you, or anybody else, would like a copy e-mail me and I'll send it along.

Bob

NHBob
March 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM
No change in roll call, but just wanted CC'ers who might be joining 8221 know that I'll be away until first week of April.

I'll check boards for any new names when I get back and update the roll call accordingly.

Bob

malg1
March 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Good day one and all.
I hope this works, it's a picture of my wife and me so that SOMEONE might recognize us at the pool bar...but I promise I will NOT be in a tux then. ;) http://img179.1mageshack.us/1mg179/4570/emeraldjune2007fm9.jpg
Grungy day so far in North Florida this morning...supposed to rain in a bit but it's at least warm.
My TA is setting up a Meet'n'Mingle and NHBob is providing him with a copy of the roll call. It's still early, but we should get more names as time goes by. The last one we did on another line a few days ago was VERY successful as MORE than 30 people were at the pool bar before life boat drill and we were easily recognizable. After that, quite a few met several more times aboard ship and while ashore at ports.

ancientmariner
March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
If anyone's interested, a National Express Coach leaves Victoria for Dover every hour throughout the day. It's very cheap and over 60s qualify for half price. For details visit www.nationalexpress.com (http://www.nationalexpress.com)

It would be necessary to take a taxi from Dover town centre, but still will be far cheaper than the £75 pp Crystal are quoting.

Boatdrill
March 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
is truly spectacular. I was on 7222, one of the great cruises ever. Captain Giske announced the night before that he was going to try it. We entered about 6 am and came out about 2 pm. I took this from the Sun Deck. The way the clouds hung to the sides of the cliffs was amazing.

I was on that same cruise.....LOVED it....Prince Christian Sound was unforgettable. Do you remember on the way out it suddenly turned colder and started hailing ??

NHBob
April 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I’m home again after my 18-day transatlantic big band cruise on ms Zuiderdam. Lot’s of fun and good music, but HAL ain’t Crystal!. Will post a review one of these days, but first have to do my income taxes.

Don’t see any additions to the roll call, so list I posted earlier is still the latest.

I bit of information that I posted on another thread several months ago and many of you probably missed, is that while our cruise does not have a jazz theme, it is being heavily promoted by a jazz tour group, whose name I probably shouldn’t mention here as they would be considered a travel agency. It is the same group that sponsors Crystal’s annual December jazz theme cruises. Others who have cruised with the group onboard report that they were a friendly group and that musical performances were open to all, although they had some parties and seminars open only to passengers who booked through them.

Following is quoted from group’s brochure for our cruise 8221:

“Featured will be the very popular Midiri Brothers Quintet, a festival favorite from the East Coast. Joe Midiri will take you back to the days of Benny Goodman….

“Back again on another ****** Cruise will be the fabulous Pieter Meijers Quartet. Featured with this band will be the great John Cocuzzi on drums. In addition he will also sing and perform on vibes and piano. The fabulous Ms Brady McKay will once again be the vocalist….

“Dance and listen to some of the best swinging classic jazz anywhere and have the time of your life.”

Crystal's website doesn't say anything about these entertainers, at least not yet.

Naturally the group would like anybody considering this cruise to book through them. Their prices are identical to Crystal’s published special savings fare, but they do throw in gratuities and of course their private parties. There’s quite a bit more information on group’s website, which can be found easily by Googling “jazz cruises”, or e-mail me and I’ll send you the link.

Suite Travels
April 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Bob it was nice meeting you on our trans atlantic cruise last November. We were booked for the North Cape cruise and decided to do a Safari in Africa for a change.

Have you considered the LA to BA Christmas cruise?

NHBob
April 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Have you considered the LA to BA Christmas cruise?

Not really - too much family holiday activity that time of year. Of course the family would love to have me take them along, not likely unless I win the Power Ball.

Bob

NHBob
April 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I bit of information that I posted on another thread several months ago and many of you probably missed, is that while our cruise does not have a jazz theme, it is being heavily promoted by a jazz tour group, whose name I probably shouldn’t mention here as they would be considered a travel agency. It is the same group that sponsors Crystal’s annual December jazz theme cruises. Others who have cruised with the group onboard report that they were a friendly group and that musical performances were open to all, although they had some parties and seminars open only to passengers who booked through them.

Contrary to what I said above, just received following from Crystal:

"...the music performances, (emphasis added) performance schedules, and cocktail parties are limited to the private group scheduled on v8221. The performances are not considered open to all passengers..."

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but unless they have a very large group, it's hard to see how they could fill either Palm Court or Starlite.

Slightly off subject, 2009 cruise themes. Just received following from Crystal:

"Our 2009 themes will indeed be uploaded on line as soon as they are concluded by our Entertainment Department, target date being 1st week of May, 2008.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board!

Kind regards,

Shannon Dunne

Administrative Assistant, Passenger Services"
No new additions to roll call - any other CCers booked on 8221?

Bob

NHBob
April 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Further to malg1's 2/29 post, his travel agent is arranging a CC get-together, and Crystal is now asking for names of attendees so they can prepare invitations.

All I have at this point is screen names, so if you would like to attend please either post or e-mail your real names to me. Or, if you don't want reveal names at this point, cabin numbers should suffice.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob

Margie2
April 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for putting this together, Mal and Bob! We are Margie & Ron Murstein and my oldest friend (almost 50 years!) is coming on the cruise - her first Crystal. She lurks. Her name is Claudia Rouhana. We are looking forward to spending time together as we don't live near each other. Claudia was an English major in college so while Ronnie is playing golf at Royal Dornoch we are taking the tour that goes to MacBeth's castle. Please add us to the invitation list.
Margie

JimME
April 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
We are Jim and Dotti Brown in stateroom #7080 on Cruise #8221.
Looking forward to the meet and greet.

ancientmariner
April 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Folks,

Please include me in the get-together. I'm Trudi-Joy Levy (from London) in Cabin 8096. Although I started my love affair with cruising in the 1960s, this is my first venture with Crystal and I'm looking forward to meeting all you old timers.;)

player 91362
May 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Further to malg1's 2/29 post, his travel agent is arranging a CC get-together, and Crystal is now asking for names of attendees so they can prepare invitations.

All I have at this point is screen names, so if you would like to attend please either post or e-mail your real names to me. Or, if you don't want reveal names at this point, cabin numbers should suffice.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Please include us in the list. I tried to email you but couldn't. We are player91362, Cynthia and Marty Ratner, in cabin 7109. We appreciate your efforts in all this. We are from Southern Calif. and this is our 12th Crystal Cruise. Thanks again, Cynthia cinike@sbcglobal.net

NHBob
May 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Bob,
Please include us in the list. I tried to email you but couldn't. Cruise. Thanks again, Cynthia cinike@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for letting me know about this Cynthia - don't know what e-mail problem was, but then my computer occassionaly does something that neither I nor my computer geek son-in-law can explain!

Bob

JimME
May 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
We are sorry to say that we have canceled the Sept 2nd trans-Atlantic. A conflict has developed with our god-son's (and nephew) wedding on September 6th. We had to cancel the same cruise last year because of his sister's wedding on September 8th. Maybe the remaining brother will stay a bachelor? ;) We will miss seeing you all at the meet-and-greet.

Judith02
May 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Our jointly used wonderful travel agent may have told you this story. We were scheduled to do a cruise to the Black Sea area two years ago. A cousin called to tell us her grand daughter was getting married. Since it was during our cruise, we cancelled. THEN WE DIDN'T GET INVITED TO THE WEDDING!!

Host Dan
May 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Our jointly used wonderful travel agent may have told you this story. We were scheduled to do a cruise to the Black Sea area two years ago. A cousin called to tell us her grand daughter was getting married. Since it was during our cruise, we cancelled. THEN WE DIDN'T GET INVITED TO THE WEDDING!!
Way too funny Judith!! LOL :D

Host Dan

BEAV
May 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM

But did you go to the wedding anyway? Where you the inspritation behind the 2005 movie "Wedding Crashers" ???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396269/

NHBob
May 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I'm still missing names of four CCs, which Crystal needs to prepare personalized invitations. So, anybody who hasn't provided this info and wants an invitation, please either post or e-mail me your real name or cabin number.

Thanks,

jwh
May 13th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hi Bob,
Do you have room for any more at the CC party? Brian is escorting a group of 13 and a Crystal cruise just wouldn't be the same without a CC party.
Cheers,
Judith
the 'other' Judith

NHBob
May 13th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Bob,
Do you have room for any more at the CC party? Brian is escorting a group of 13 and a Crystal cruise just wouldn't be the same without a CC party.
Cheers,
Judith
the 'other' Judith

Don't see why not - as far as I know there's no limit on number we can have, but I'll check.

In the meantime, forward their names asap, preferably by e-mail.

Bob

NHBob
May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Bob,
Cheers,
Judith
the 'other' Judith

Just received word that this won't be a problem. Need names ASAP.

Bob (bobcaswell@metrocast.net)

kjeffr8212
June 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I will also be on this cruise. I would like to be included any CC parties. I don't have a stateroom number yet but will post when I know. I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Kay Jeffries

NHBob
June 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hard to believe that it's only 12 weeks until "all aboard", so thought I should update roll call. The latest I have is:

AbOsi (Paul)
AncientMariner (Trudi)
Ant@sea
bellagirl
luvs2crurGA ( George [Russ] and Shirley)
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
Margie2 (Margie & Ron plus friend Claudia)
NHBob (Bob)
Player 91362 (Cynthia and Marty)
Worldover
Kjeffr (Kay)
Rich and Linda

Any corrections, additions or cancellations?

malg1
June 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
We're almost totally official now. Booked our return flight from Newark to Orlando today and our TA booked our transport from the NYC dock to Newark.
Orlando is just the first leg of the trip home...we have a 5 hour drive after we land and pay the ransom on the car.
One last step remains, book transport from London to Southampton. We fly over a few days early to catch a couple of West End shows and maybe even the chunnel train for a day in Paris.
Looking forward to meeting everyone. :)

NHBob
June 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I see that I dropped one name from my recent roll call update. Corrected list below.

AbOsi (Paul)
AncientMariner (Trudi)
Ant@sea
bellagirl
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
NHBob (Bob)
Worldover
Kjeffr (Kay)
Rich and Linda
Norma Pollard

Judith02
June 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I thought I read that Aussie Judith's husband Brian would be on board witih you with a group of 13. Do you have those? If not, post here and I'll write her if she doesn't see the post. Judith

NHBob
June 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I thought I read that Aussie Judith's husband Brian would be on board with you with a group of 13. Do you have those? If not, post here and I'll write her if she doesn't see the post. Judith

No. I posted request for names a couple of times on this thread, but have received no response.

Bob

Judith02
June 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I wrote to Judith in Australia and asked her to post to you.

malg1
June 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
For those among you who booked their own air rather than using Crystal and may be staying in London BEFORE our cruise. We're there for 3 nights.
We have just booked private transport from London to Dover at a very agreeable price and we are avoiding trains, buses, and underground with luggage PLUS our driver will pick us up at our hotel and deliver us dockside AND take the more scenic route since we've not previously been to Dover.
If any of you is interested, please respond to this message and we can 'talk' via e-mail rather than clutter up cruise critic.
malg1 at yahoo dot com

NHBob
June 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Further to my earlier posts regarding the jazz group booked on 8221, have just seen that Crystal website now lists "Jazzdagen Groups" under the Theme Presentation heading. Since Crystal now lists them as part of ship's programs I assume that performances will be open to all, although group's workshops, parties etc. will probably only be open to group members

Bob

Saulitude
June 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hello future co-cruisers...

My wife Michele and me booked already in early October 2007. As Sept 2nd is closer now we started some research on the web and found this forum...

It will be our first cruise...

We will stay until Sept 20th in NYC and then fly back to Brussels (a few days in Dublin first).

We both retired teachers.

André

malg1
June 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hello future co-cruisers...

My wife Michele and me booked already in early October 2007. As Sept 2nd is closer now we started some research on the web and found this forum...

It will be our first cruise...

We will stay until Sept 20th in NYC and then fly back to Brussels (a few days in Dublin first).

We both retired teachers.

André
Let me be the first to welcome you aboard. While were are seasoned cruisers, this is our first trip on Crystal.
My wife, Marlene, is a retired educator having spent several years in classrooms and then moving on to educational administration.:) I am a retired lawyer.
We look forward to meeting you.

Margie2
June 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome to Crystal! You are ending your cruise in Ireland; we are beginning our cruise there. We are flying to Shannon on Aug. 28th and going to Dover on Sept. 1 so my husband can play golf for 4 days. Please e-mail me at mbm120@aol.com; we would be happy to sponsor you on your first Crystal cruise. You are going to love it!

Margie

Saulitude
June 30th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Let me be the first to welcome you aboard. While were are seasoned cruisers, this is our first trip on Crystal.

We look forward to meeting you.

Thanks for your kind and quick reply!
Have you already booked shore excursion?
We will go to Loch Ness, Ruins & Runes, Golden Circle, Kangeq and Titanic memorial.

Saulitude
June 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM
.. we would be happy to sponsor you on your first Crystal cruise. You are going to love it!
Margie

Great! Thanks for your kind welcome!
I'm preparing a blog for the cruise. I hope I'll be able to fill it so that my children can have a look...

NHBob
June 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Great! Thanks for your kind welcome!
I'm preparing a blog for the cruise. I hope I'll be able to fill it so that my children can have a look...

Let me add my welcome to Crystal. I've been maintaining the roll call for this cruise and will add you to the list.

Also, malg1's travel agent is arranging a CC "meet 'n' mingle" get together on board. If you'd like to join us, e-mail me your last name and cabin number and I'll add you to the list.

You're really starting at the top for your first cruise. Only problem is that after Crystal, there are very few other lines that you'll be happy with!

Bob

ancientmariner
July 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Oh Bob.....you've got me worried now. I've just booked a Princess cruise to Hawaii for Christmas and New Year. Am I forever doomed to compare every other cruise unfavourably against Crystal? I've just visited the new HAL ship "Eurodam" in Southampton and got totally lost wandering around!

NHBob
July 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Oh Bob.....you've got me worried now. I've just booked a Princess cruise to Hawaii for Christmas and New Year. Am I forever doomed to compare every other cruise unfavourably against Crystal? I've just visited the new HAL ship "Eurodam" in Southampton and got totally lost wandering around!

Hi Trudi,

Well, maybe my statement was a little strong. Never cruised with Princess, but hear they do a good job.

I myself do an occasional cruise other than Crystal and have enjoyed most of them, although I'm a bit upset with Holland America after my March transatlantic. I guess it's just a matter of adjusting one's expectations, as obviously neither HAL nor Princess can operate at Crystal's level of service while at the same time keeping their fares low. My biggest problem with the mass market lines is not the add-on charges - they have to make up for the low fares somewhere - but the size of the ships. Appreciated your comments on Eurodam. I even have a problem with the somewhat smaller Vista Class ships.

That said, I am deserting Crystal temporarily for a big band Caribbean cruise with MSC in December, and have also booked a transatlantic on Regent in '09.

Bob

NHBob
July 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Updated 7/1/08
AbOsi (Paul)
AncientMariner (Trudi)
Ant@sea
bellagirl
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
NHBob (Bob)
Worldover
Kjeffr (Kay)
Rich and Linda
Norma Pollard
Saulitude (Andre and Michele)

Anybody else?

Bob

malg1
July 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your kind and quick reply!
Have you already booked shore excursion?
We will go to Loch Ness, Ruins & Runes, Golden Circle, Kangeq and Titanic memorial.We are booked for Dunrobin Castle and Falconry at Invergordon, then Torshvn tour, then Blue Lagoon at Iceland and finally buggy ride at Halifax.
Suggestion if you've not been to Halifax AND like ice cream...at the docks there is/was a place called Cows. Yellow and blue freestanding building nearly at the end of the area past the tugboats. We were there in October '06. Almost the equal of Ben & Jerry's in Vermont with double the number of flavors.
Do make sure you write to NhBob and register for the CC gathering.

malg1
July 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM
This is our 1st Crystal but we've done 3 HAL, 3 Princess 1 Celebrity, 1 Disney (younger grandchildren you know) and 7 Royal CAribbean. NEVER a really bad time on any of them (well, a really poor PH suite on a Princess ship's 3rd ever cruise where the builders had left empty beer bottles INSIDE the bathroom wall and they RATTLED until the plumber came,
opened the wall, removed the bottles and then re-sealed the wall).
We're already booked on another Celebrity, another Princess and another Royal Caribbean and now my beautiful wife of 52+ years wants to try Oceania in either late '09 or early '10. Unfavourable comparisons? Each line has it's own superlatives, it's own specialties and it's own weakness...just enjoy them all!

NHBob
July 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Have just learned that Crystal's deadline for adding names to the CC get-together is August 8th.

So, if there are any other CEers out ther who want to be added to list please post info here or e-mail me.

med4bike
July 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Bob and fellow #8221 cruisers-

Amira and myself just signed up for this cruise and look forward to a wonderful cruise and meeting all of you CCs. Count us in for the get- to- gether.

Making last minute arrangements does have some drawbacks, however. Arranging flights to arrive a day or two before the Sept 2 embarcation , was difficult, so we are arriving at Heathrow on Sept. 2 and making arrangements to tranfer to Dover by the late afternoon. We arrive at Heathrow at about 11:30 am. We are considering hiring a limo but a few cruisers suggested we consider taking a "transfer" with Crystal. Crystal charges $150 pp to transfer from Heathrow to Dover Cruise Terminal. Most limo's charge approx L165 or about $350 US for the both of us.

I guess the only "secure" part about the Crystal transfer is that if it is late, will the Symphony wait? (like they do when a Crystal shore excursion arrives late). Any thoughts about a Crystal "transfer" v. private limo?

Thanks,

Maurice

NHBob
July 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome to our growing group, Maurice and Amira. Hope you'll come to the CC "meet 'n' mingle". Crystal will need your last name to send you an invitation, so please post or e-mail me.

Regarding Crystal transfer: Crystal sometimes delays ship's departure for late arriving passengers using their air-sea packages. I doubt, however, that they would do this for passengers who had booked their own air and only a Crystal transfer. Suggest you or your TA ask Crystal. I have always found them to be very responsive to inquiries. Personally, I'd go for the limo if not too much more expensive than Crystal.

The least expensive way to get to Dover is via the National Express Coaches, but it takes forever because you have to lay over and change buses in London. I wouldn't try it on embarkation day. I had planned to do it when I arrive on September 1, but instead decided to spend a night in London when another CCer offered me a seat on their private transfer.

If you do opt for Crystal transfer, you can expect to be met by a representatives just outside customs. Rep will have a sign and be in uniform.

I suppose the type of transport they use will depend on the number of passengers they have, but every time I have used a cruise line transfer from LHR it has been a typical 40 to 50 passenger tour bus. Previous poster's estimate of 2 to 2-1/2 hours is about right, depending on traffic. Since we are embarking on a weekday, you shouldn't run into the heavy shore-bound traffic common on summer weekends.

In my experience, since arrivals are usually spread over several hours and two or three terminals, most of the cruise lines, including Crystal, assemble early arrivals at one of the airport hotels for refreshments, etc. before dispatching buses to the port. This is preferable to taking a bunch of people to the port before the ship is ready to receive passengers. In your case, however, with a late morning arrival, they might put you on a coach departing soon after you clear customs.

Question: are you a Crystal first-timer? If so, check the sticky http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=715577 and e-mail me if you're interested.

Saulitude
July 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
We are booked for Dunrobin Castle and Falconry at Invergordon, then Torshvn tour, then Blue Lagoon at Iceland and finally buggy ride at Halifax.

It seems we opted for more "active" excursions... I hope we won't be too exhausted...

Do make sure you write to NhBob and register for the CC gathering.

Thanks to NhBob reactivity we even had no need for "applying"... He already add us to the list...

This Voyage of The Vikings is becoming more and more exciting as we are closer to B-Day (boarding day...)

Saulitude
July 7th, 2008, 02:53 AM
And what about thep possible weather during the cruise? In Reykjavik? In Nuuk? It seems it is around 10°C in Nuuk in September... And in Norrth Atlantic?

NHBob
July 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I did essentially same TA in April 2005. I'm not a great note keeper, but did jot down a few things in my Daytimer. As I recall, no real weather extremes, or at least not extreme enough for me to note. Following is about all I have and/or recall:

All in all a terrific cruise, although not a lot of sun. Calm seas except for one afternoon
Day 2: Calm sailing in North Sea
At sea, en route to Iceland. Rough afternoon with gale force winds. Calmed down by dinner time. Rough enough that we aborted a private dance lesson - Palm Court moving a lot.
Prince Christian Sound, Greenland: calm, cloudy with showers, and a few small icebergs
Nuuk, Greenland - may not be the end of the earth, but it’s close enough for me. Must remember to take more warm clothes on my next North Atlantic crossing – it’s cold up there even in the summer.
Reykjavik: Clear and cool - 50s
Hope this helps. Main lesson I learned was to take clothing that can be layered and also some sort of lightweight rain gear

Bob

Saulitude
July 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I did essentially same TA in April 2005. I'm not a great note keeper, but did jot down a few things in my Daytimer. As I recall, no real weather extremes, or at least not extreme enough for me to note. Following is about all I have and/or recall

Thanks Bob!
This board is really great for preparing the cruise!

malg1
July 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Given what NHBob has been writing about weather and everyone else's comments about the places we're going to visit, you all might like to go to a website www.earthcam.com (http://www.earthcam.com)
There are LIVE cameras streaming constantly changing pictures of Faroe Islands, Reykjavik, and Halifax. This way you can see exactly what the weather is like and what people are wearing while going about their daily business.:)
As an aside, you can really wander the world with the site...just type in a location.

NHBob
July 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Although Crystal Website still shows Dance Team/Instructors as TBA for V8221, I've just received Crystal's confirmation that the team will be Curtis Collins and Beverly Durand, same team that had previously been confirmed for the fall Canada/New England cruises. I've never met either, but if this is the same Curtis who used to partner with Natalie Mavor I'm sure he'll be first rate.

Crystal Customer Service never ceases to amaze me. I e-mailed them earlier today asking about the dance team, not even asking for a reply; had a reply within hours! A lot different from trying to get information from several other lines, whom I'll refrain from identifying.

We're getting to be short timers - only a little over six weeks to go.

Bob

Judith02
July 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Yes, Bob, that is the same Curtis.

Keith1010
July 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Bob, Curtis and Beverly are both wonderful.

Keith

NHBob
July 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Just received my final docs for 8221/8222 and noticed a change in the evening dress information from that shown on my confirmation document:

8221: 4 formal, 3 informal, 7 casual
8222: 3 formal, 2 informal, 6 casual

Obviously doesn't affect a man much, but thought some of the ladies might be interested, if they haven't received final docs yet.

Regarding 8222, as far as I know there are only three CCers booked, so I guess there's no sense in setting up a separate roll call or meet and greet.

Bob

NHBob
July 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
If there is anyone who has not yet signed up for meet & mingle on 8221 and would like to attend, please either e-mail or post your name(s) - real names, not screen names ASAP, so Crystal can prepare invitations.

Crystal needs final list by end of next week, so let me know no later than Tuesday, August 5th.

Don't know when and where the get-together will be. Hopefully I'll be able to post it later this month.

malg1
August 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The Meet'n'Mingle group is now set. Invitations will be aboard ship from Crystal to those who registered.....
A reminder...alcoholic beverages are NOT included and if you order, you will need to charge your own cabin. There will be other refreshments.
Looking forward to meeting you all.......................

ancientmariner
August 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
If you log on to "Britain" under "Ports of Call" you will find a thread entitled A Long Review of Grand Princess' British Isles Cruise July 2008. Included in this is a long description of a tour taken in Invergordon, which was organised by the CC members.

It sounds interesting, so I 'phoned the guide mentioned today. He's away this week, but will get in touch with me next week.

Trudi

med4bike
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
We would be interested in such a tour in Invergordon. If you come up with an itinerary and cost, please let us know.

Thanks

malg1
August 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
SHORT weather report 21/8/08 12 noon London, 11am Reykjavik
London 63
Reykjavik 54

luvs2cruzga
August 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I have most of the cities programmed into my iphone - more weather - it's 1:45pm London 12:45 Reykjavik

London 63
Invergordon 61
Reykjavik 54
Nuuk 41
Halifax 66
Dover 61
New York 69

Keith1010
August 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
I have most of the cities programmed into my iphone - more weather - it's 1:45pm London 12:45 Reykjavik

London 63
Invergordon 61
Reykjavik 54
Nuuk 41
Halifax 66
Dover 61
New York 69

In a few of these ports keep in mind the wind chill factor and sometimes the lmited sun.

If you have a sunny day in Nuuk that could feel much warmer than say Reykjavik. That happened to us on our TA voyage on the Symphony in 2004. Reykjavik was very windy and rainy on our day in port. Anyway, just keep in mind the wind and some of these are ports where layering of clothes is essential. Bring a waterproof jacket if possible. And, waterproof pants are a good idea as well.

Keith

Margie2
August 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've been checking the weather in Iceland and Greeland the last few days and, having lived in south Florida for 28 years, the blood has thinned and I'm bringing my ski parka. Our last land trip to Ireland found us at the
Cliffs of Moher on the 4th of July wearing our parkas, wool hats, and mittens. The wind makes all the difference. Since we'll be in Ireland for 4 days before the cruise, Ronnie will have 2 sets of gore-tex in his golf bag so we're all set for rain. Let's hope we're in port for the one sunny day in each week!

Margie

Margie2
August 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've been checking the weather in Iceland and Greeland the last few days and, having lived in south Florida for 28 years, the blood has thinned and I'm bringing my ski parka. Our last land trip to Ireland found us at the
Cliffs of Moher on the 4th of July wearing our parkas, wool hats, and mittens. The wind makes all the difference. Since we'll be in Ireland for 4 days before the cruise, Ronnie will have 2 sets of gore-tex in his golf bag so we're all set for rain. Let's hope we're in port for the one sunny day in each week!

Margie

Margie2
August 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

Margie

NHBob
August 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
This is latest info I have:

Barbara & Ambrose
bellagirl
JimME (Jim/Dotti)
Kjeffr (Kay)
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
Margie2 (Margie/Ronald & friend Claudia)
Med4bike (Amira and Maurice)
NHBob (Bob)
Rich and Linda
Saulitude (André & Michèle)
Slovan2UK (Malcolm)
Sue2cruiz (Norma)
Worldover

As noted by Malg1 in earlier post, those of you who signed up for the Meet & Mingle should receive personal invitations on board. If you don't, or haven't signed up but would like to attend, contact me on board, Cabin No 7066.

Hope you all have uneventful trips to Dover (I envy those of you already in the UK a bit) and I look forward to meeting you on board.

Bob

luvs2cruzga
August 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
You've got my screen name spelled wrong.

Time to start packing and thinking about how many bags to take and what they weigh etc. We don't have a problem with that flying over because we have first class FF seats but flying home from New York we only have coach seats. We have a direct flight from Atlanta to Gatwick and leave a week from tomorrow.

We are spending one night in London at the Renaissance with Crystal and are taking the transfer tour to the Dover Castle. How about everyone else's plans?

NHBob
August 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
You've got my screen name spelled wrong.

Sorry! Corrected list below:

Barbara & Ambrose
bellagirl
JimME (Jim/Dotti)
Kjeffr (Kay)
luvs2cruzga (Russ/Shirley)
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
NHBob (Bob)
Rich and Linda
Slovan2UK (Malcolm)
Sue2cruiz (Norma)
Worldover

Bob

ancientmariner
August 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
:( Hey Bob,

Don't forget me...I'm still coming!

I'm based in London, so if any of you need advice/help regarding your pre-cruise days here, please ask me. If anyone wants tickets for the Buckingham Palace tour (which this year features the banqueting room laid for a state banquet) go to www.royalcollection.org.uk (http://www.royalcollection.org.uk). It's only open until 29th September.

Look forward to meeting you all on my first Crystal encounter.

Trudi

NHBob
August 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
:( Hey Bob,

Don't forget me...I'm still coming!

Trudi

Don't know how that happened, but you're definitely on the list sent to Crystal.

Corrected list (again) below:

AbOrsi
ancientmariner (Trudi)
Ant@sea
Barbara & Ambrose
bellagirl
JimME (Jim/Dotti)
Kjeffr (Kay)
luvs2cruzga (Russ/Shirley)
Malgl (Mal/Marlene)
NHBob (Bob)
Rich and Linda
Slovan2UK (Malcolm)
Sue2cruiz (Norma)
Worldover

ancientmariner
August 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I've just heard back from the guide in Invergordon. (Recommended on these boards.) As I suspected, the cost for 2/3 people is prohibitive. However, for a 7/8 person vehicle, the price comes down to £350 (about $100 pp). He needs 48 hours notice, so we won't have time to arrange it on board. If anyone is interested, let me know, as he's very popular.

Trudi

malg1
September 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
To all those among you we met at our Saturday morning Mingle, thank you for making the pre-Cruise board interesting and informative. And it was a pleasure to spend that bit of time we had over coffee and pastries talking about Crystal, our lives, our cruise plans, and our homes.
Perhaps our paths will cross again in the future as we sail the ports of the world.:)

ancientmariner
September 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
It was lovely to meet both of you, too. In fact, it was meeting so many other delightful "guests" which made this a special trip for me.

nadge
September 21st, 2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome home everyone - sounds as if a great time was had by all. Any chance of a review from anyone? That always makes it special for the rest of us "stuck" on land.

nadge

malg1
September 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Welcome home everyone - sounds as if a great time was had by all. Any chance of a review from anyone? That always makes it special for the rest of us "stuck" on land.

nadgeThe ship...immaculate and made more-so by cleaning nearly 24/7.
The cabins...extremely well laid out with more than ample storage space and small, well-designed bathrooms featuring 2 sinks, a magnifying mirror for adding and removing make-up (and making every skin flaw utterly immense) and well-appointed with designer toiletries.
The dining room...best wait staff afloat stymied by a noise level unequalled anywhere on earth short of sitting INSIDE the goal during a World Cup soccer final match with the score tied, time expired, and a penalty shot about to be taken by Pele or Beckham with 150,000 screaming fanatics in the stands.:eek:
The itinerary ports...spectacular beauty and exciting activities in some and unfathomable, unimaginable boredom in others.
The passage through a glacier and mountain-lined sound in Greenland with immense icebergs floating mere yards from the ship under skies so blue and cloudless that they made cinema computer-generated special effects appear to be child-like scribblings with crayons on newsprint.
Swimming in Iceland in the Blue Lagoon where the geo-thermal water was 40C, the air was 12C and there was rain mixed with sleet falling during part of the time. Getting out of the water and walking(running) the 20 meters between the water and the shower and dressing area was a REAL thrill.:rolleyes:
A visit to a Victorian garden in full bloom via horse-drawn carriage.
A visit to a large field where a trainer demostrated falconry and the hunt for, and capture of, food by the birds.
14 days and nights total...9 sea days...only 750 passengers aboard and mostly very well travelled, 4 nights of formal dining in gown and tuxedo, daily jazz at noon by both a quartet and a quintet (in a totally inappropraite and somnambulistic inducing venue until the very last day when it moved and things really got lively) small musical production shows several evenings, daily cinema in a theatre, nightly post-dinner dancing, and an extremely well-stocked library.
To those of you "stuck" on dry land, the cruise was at time highly enjoyable and at other times tediously boring. A transatlantic should not be lightly undertaken without some planning for sea-time activities

nadge
September 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hi malg1 - many thanks for the review. I like to hear the good and the bad.

I'm pleased you know of Beckham - an ex Manchester United player, but sorry you had to be reminded of him in the dining room. Shore excursions - always a bit of a risk I feel. That Blue Lagoon experience sounds amazing. Sea days - I have to say I was never bored for a second, what with breakfast and Spanish class and lecture and lunch and trivia quiz and ice cream and jacuzzi and afternoon tea and ice cream and reading and ice cream and nap and cocktail party and dinner and show and casino and luxe and avenue saloon and nightcap - phew, I had no time to be bored :D :D .

Thanks again and welcome back.

nadge

malg1
September 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi malg1 - many thanks for the review. I like to hear the good and the bad.

I'm pleased you know of Beckham - an ex Manchester United player, but sorry you had to be reminded of him in the dining room. Shore excursions - always a bit of a risk I feel. :D :D .nadge Not reminded of HIM, reminded of the screams of the 150,000 fanatics egging him on, both positive and negative at the same time. Many people, including dozens of multi cruise trippers on Crystal, spoke of the deafening noise level...perhaps because they had lost the batteries in their hearing aids.:rolleyes:
Regarding the lectures and classes, after 8 years of University and 25 years of continuing education courses in the Law, I am lectured out. They were available but not my cup of tea. HOWEVER, I did partake of ice cream on Lido deck every day, sea or port. And of fresh fruit every day at Bistro.:) I was not the only person to believe that the jazz quintet and quartet should never have been at Lido Court but rather in the Atrium with 3 deck high open space and room to "swing a cat." Several posted such notes in the post cruise commentary and mentioned it to the cruise director.

kjeffr8212
September 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I was also on this cruise. I would agree that the noise level in the dining room was much louder than I'd remembered it--and I'd just been on Symphony six weeks before for the North Cape Cruise. I also do NOT need hearing aids!

The jazz groups when they performed next to the Crystal Cove were fabulous. They also performed in Luxe late in the evening. I thought it was a great venue for them but, unfortunately, not many passengers found them there.

As for the day activities, I thought that the program was very strong with a lot to offer. I really enjoyed the Film & Theatre lecturers as well as the book reviewer. He was a new addition to Crystal and very good.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable cruise for me. I can't wait to return to Crystal.

Kay

malg1
September 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
I was also on this cruise. I would agree that the noise level in the dining room was much louder than I'd remembered it--and I'd just been on Symphony six weeks before for the North Cape Cruise. I also do NOT need hearing aids!

The jazz groups when they performed next to the Crystal Cove were fabulous. They also performed in Luxe late in the evening. I thought it was a great venue for them but, unfortunately, not many passengers found them there.

KayWe were usually not awake for late night...dinner ended about the same hour as conscious thought for us.:D Saw 'Cole' and the Dance Team (Beverly and Curtis) the night the comedian performed in Starlite (at least I did, Marlene was long gone by then.) I also caught one of the Flautist's medleys.
As for the hearing aids, I was suggesting that the noise level was so high because people who DO need them either left them off, turned them off, or had dead batteries so they were shouting during dinner. People with hearing problems tend to speak loudly because they believe everyone has a hearing problem.

Saulitude
September 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hello everyone!

Back home yesterday after a few days in New-York and in Dublin. Raining here in Belgium :-( Apart from some rain (during the coach drive) in Island, we had a marvellous weather during our 23 days holiday!

Yes, the dining room was very noisy but I think that tables of 8 generate an atmosphere leading to multiple conversations. As it was my first cruise with Crystal I have no comparison point.

I will post my global opinion later this week...

NHBob
September 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Bob, Curtis and Beverly are both wonderful.

Keith

You're sure right about this, Keith. Not only are they terrific performers and teachers, but also very nice people.

It was particularly pleasant for me as one of only two solo male dancers, as Beverly came in to dance with us almost every night in the Starlite (Ambassador Hosts have to limit their dancing to paying guests). She makes even me look good!

I enjoyed both cruises (8221 and 8222) and meeting fellow CCers. I'll post a review one of these days.

ancientmariner
September 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Welcome home, Bob. Hope your "second leg" was as much fun as our first leg, and you can now tango with the best of them!

Keith1010
September 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
You're sure right about this, Keith. Not only are they terrific performers and teachers, but also very nice people.

It was particularly pleasant for me as one of only two solo male dancers, as Beverly came in to dance with us almost every night in the Starlite (Ambassador Hosts have to limit their dancing to paying guests). She makes even me look good!

I enjoyed both cruises (8221 and 8222) and meeting fellow CCers. I'll post a review one of these days.

Bob, I am so very glad to here that you enjoyed Curtis and Beverly and yes, they are wonderful people.

I look forward to reading your review about both the cruises.

Welcome Home!

Keith

malg1
September 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Welcome back, Bob. it was a distinct pleasure making your acquaintance and riding with you from London to Dover.
My personal thanks for ALL the work you did with my TA arranging the Meet'n'Mingle. I know you brush it off, but keeping that list of names and screen names straight is WORK.:cool:
Please do keep in touch...you have my real e-mail