PDA

View Full Version : I live in Charleston, SC.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cukoobananas
September 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hello Everyone!

I live in Charleston South Carolina and have worked downtown in the Historical district for a few years now. I thought I would start this thread to help those of you traveling to this beautiful city. I will tell you that I don't know everything about the area but what I do know I will share with you. Should you ask me something I don't know I will tell you. I would rather tell you I don't know than give you the wrong information. I hope this helps those of you traveling here. Happy Cruising and please enjoy Charleston!!!!:D :D

Dean

cukoobananas
September 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Here is some information that I hope helps some.

Doubletree Guest Suites Historic Charleston
Relax in executive king guestrooms or elegant one & two bedroom suites and feature our luxurious Sweet Dreams® beds by Doubletree. Freshly-baked cookies at check-in, valet parking and home to Hank’s Seafood Restaurant. Walking distance to restaurants and harbor views.

181 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2644
or 877-408-8733
Email: chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com (chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com)

Belvidere Harbor Cottages
Luxury accommodations in a secluded setting, featuring magnificent panoramic views of Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter and historic downtown. Each two-bedroom/three full bath Cottage is fully-equipped and sleeps up to six, full kitchen, elegant furnishings, pool, hot tub. Continental breakfast included.

16 Patriots Point Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-3342
or 866-901-2688
Email: Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com (Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com)

Francis Marion Hotel
Historic Charleston's landmark hotel since 1924. Completely restored and elegantly appointed marble lobby, crown moldings and intricate wrought iron. Across from Marion Square. 227 guest rooms and suites offer spectacular views of Charleston's harbor. On the National Register of Historic Places.

387 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-0600
or 877-756-2121
Fax: 843-853-2186
Email: info@francismarioncharleston.com (info@francismarioncharleston.com)

Embassy Suites Historic Charleston
Home of the original 19th century Citadel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market, the King Street boutiques and restaurants. Evening reception in our courtyard area overlooking Marion Square.

337 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-6900
or 800-EMBASSY
Fax: 843-723-6938
Email: chses_ds@hilton.com (chses_ds@hilton.com)

Hampton Inn Historic District
This restored historic landmark, once a burlap bag factory in the 18th century, was designed for the traveler with discerning taste. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market and King Street fashion boutiques. High speed wireless Internet.

345 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-4000
or 800-HAMPTON
Email: chshd_hampton@hilton.com (chshd_hampton@hilton.com)

Holiday Inn Historic District
This luxury hotel combines Old-World elegance with New-World amenities. Beautifully landscaped courtyard, outdoor heated pool, concierge and bellman services. Enjoy the Battery Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the Battery Lounge for evening relaxation.

125 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-805-7900
or 877-805-7900

Fulton Lane Inn
Totally non-smoking Inn. Nestled among the city's finest antique shops, across from Saks Fifth Avenue. One of Charleston's best kept secrets. We offer luxurious rooms, king-size beds, large whirlpools and fireplaces. Continental breakfast delivered to your room and complimentary wine and sherry.

202 King Street
Charleston , SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2600
or 800-720-2688
Fax: 843-720-2940

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_left_bot_grey.gifPLACES TO EAT
Charleston Grill
Dinner Su-Th 6-10pm; F-Sa 6-11pm; jazz nightly; cocktails from 5pm. Located in the Charleston Place Hotel. The most comfortable and beautiful restaurant in Charleston for cocktails, live jazz and exciting Lowcountry and coastal cooking prepared by Chef Bob Waggoner. South Carolina's most acclaimed Mobil Four-Star restaurant and winner of Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence." The Vintner's Room is available for private parties.

224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-4522

Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Su-Th 5:00-10:30pm; F-Sa 5:00-11:30pm. By design and cuisine, Hank’s resembles a decades-old neighborhood fixture reminiscent of a classic 1940s Charleston fish house. Relaxed atmosphere is backdrop to Chef Frank McMahon’s local seafood classics and innovative seasonal specials. Bar and communal table attracts a sociable crowd of locals, nightly.

10 Hayne Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-3474

39 Rue De Jean
French style café and bar offering the best in Brasserie cuisine. Indoor/outdoor patio seating, predominantly French wine list with champagne and sakes. Sunday Brunch from 10am, Lunch daily from 11:30am, served continuously through to Dinner service beginning at 5:30pm. Late nite menu through 1am, featuring steaks, sushi and salads.

39 John Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8881
Fax: 843-722-8835

82 Queen
Open 365 Days a Year; 11:30am till 10:30pm - Sunday Brunch 11:30am. Serving Charleston’s most authentic Lowcountry cuisine for 25 years. Offering the freshest seafood and aged steaks garnished with locally grown herbs and vegetables. Enjoy award-winning She Crab Soup and desserts. Voted “Best City Restaurant” by the readers of Southern Living Magazine.

82 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-7591
or 800-849-0082
Email: info@82queen.com (info@82queen.com)

Bocci's Italian Restaurant
Dinner: M-Th 4:30-10pm; F-Sa 4:30-11pm. Service in a casual, comfortable, ethnic setting. A favorite among locals seeking a romantic escape. Bocci’s chefs are known for their authentic specialties. Excellent wine list, a variety of gourmet coffees, and desserts. Italian dining on par with New York’s “Little Italy.”

158 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2121

Coast
Charleston’s freshest seafood, with a relaxed beach inspired atmosphere, in the heart of historic downtown. Featuring the freshest fish and produce in the Lowcountry, a full raw bar, and a refreshing drink list. Open nightly from 5:30. Outdoor seating available.

39-D John St.
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8838

Grill 225
High-energy eatery, replete with mahogany booths & alabaster chandeliers, serving 100% USDA Prime Beef & seafood under Executive Chef Demetre Castanas. Charleston’s only USDA Prime steakhouse. Impressive wine list & desserts, & stellar service. Great Steak Houses of North America.

Hyman's Seafood and Aaron's Deli
Open 7 days a week. Voted best seafood in Southeast by Southern Living Magazine readers poll survey out of 18 states and 8 years running. Eli, one of the great grandchildren or Brad’s son-in-law, are in the building 7 days a week to insure 100% satisfaction and quality control.

215 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-6000

Poogan's Porch
Open seven days a week. One of Charleston's oldest and most reputable culinary establishments. A historic landmark with entertaining past. Synonymous with providing impeccable Lowcountry hospitality and cuisine. Since 1976, we have become a hot spot for celebrities, politicians, tourists and locals who rave about this Southern institution. Brunch Sa & Sun. L, D. $-$$$.

72 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2337

Tommy Condon's Irish Pub & Seafood Restaurant
11:00 a.m.-1 a.m. for lunch and dinner. This long-time Charleston tradition provides an experience crafted after a true Irish pub. Atmosphere is appropriate for families, couples, and folks just looking to hoist a pint! Seafood, steaks, burgers. Dine in the pub or on the outdoor deck. Live Irish music Wednesday-Sunday.

160 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-3818

I hope this helps some of you. It would be impossible for me to list all the excellent eating establishments in Charleston so the ones I've listed here I have first hand knowledge of. Yes...I eat out from time to time.:D I honestly believe that you could eat out every night for a year and still not eat at every place in historical Charleston.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask. I love helping out people. Plus I hope you love Charleston as much as I do!!

cukoobananas
September 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
TRANSPORTATION

Primetime Charleston Transport Services, LLC
Let us simplify your transportation needs. We are a professional transport service with a wide array of vehicles that can make your arrival and departure from Charleston Airport a pleasant experience. We accept all major credit cards. Please call for reservations.

1101 Stone Pine Road
Ladson, SC 29456
Phone: 843-478-6778
Fax: 843-376-9210
Email: reservations@primetimecharleston.com

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_left_bot_grey.gif http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_right_top_grey.gifRoyal Limousine Service
Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Royal Limousine Service offers the highest-quality vehicles as well as unparalleled customer service. We have earned a reputation for professionalism and reliability by providing exceptional transportation at fair pricing. Our extensive fleet of vans, sedans, buses, and limousines meets any professional needs.

2183 Hwy 17 Bypass, Suite 109
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-7272
Fax: 843-723-2515
Email: info@royallimo.biz

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_left_bot_grey.gif

cukoobananas
September 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
P.S. All of the above information was found at the following link. You can find much much more about Charleston if you would like to look.
http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor..._categor y=19 (http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/dine_charleston.html?type=1&category=3&sub_category=19)

Everyone have a great day and enjoy Charleston!!:D

seacrystal
September 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you sooooooooooo much for this fabulous list. As you can see from my footer I am an avid cruiser but we plan to take a driving trip through the Carolinas next fall and this will be most helpful. The places we are most intersted in are Asheville, NC and Charleston, SC. Such history!!!!!:D

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions of a resident of the area you are interested in. I am sure you will be asked lots of questions and I look forward to your answers.

cukoobananas
September 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Thank you sooooooooooo much for this fabulous list. As you can see from my footer I am an avid cruiser but we plan to take a driving trip through the Carolinas next fall and this will be most helpful. The places we are most intersted in are Asheville, NC and Charleston, SC. Such history!!!!!:D

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions of a resident of the area you are interested in. I am sure you will be asked lots of questions and I look forward to your answers.

Hell Kathy!

Well I am sure you will love both Asheville and Charleston. Just let me know what you would like to know and if I can't answer your question then I will find out the answer or tell you where you can find it. I hope all is well on the other side of the country. Have a great day!!:D

seacrystal
September 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dean!

I will keep you in mind.

michigal
September 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful information. It's nice to be able to tap into a "local expert" for travel tips! We are thinking of a combined land/water vacation, spending the "land" part in the Charleston area. I just started looking to see what type of cruising is available from that area. I see that NCL goes to Bermuda from Charleston, correct? Do you know of any smaller, nontraditional companies that offer a coastal cruise along the eastern seaboard of the US (going either north or south)? They don't necessarily have to start/end in Charleston. We're flexible. Thanks again.

cukoobananas
September 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful information. It's nice to be able to tap into a "local expert" for travel tips! We are thinking of a combined land/water vacation, spending the "land" part in the Charleston area. I just started looking to see what type of cruising is available from that area. I see that NCL goes to Bermuda from Charleston, correct? Do you know of any smaller, nontraditional companies that offer a coastal cruise along the eastern seaboard of the US (going either north or south)? They don't necessarily have to start/end in Charleston. We're flexible. Thanks again.

Hey Michigal. I don't know of any companies first hand that offer an eastern seaboard cruise. However, I did do a search and came up with one that looked good to me. Here is the link:
http://www.seabourn.com/destinations/default.asp?main=Dest&sec=Eastern

Should you decide to stay in Charleston we do have companies that offer dinner cruises or sunset cruises. They take you out in the harbor to watch the sunset and they have dinner and live music while you tour the bay. I do have the port schedule for Charleston too. I will see if I can find it to post. Hope this helps.

Dean

cukoobananas
September 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Here is a link for the Port of Charleston Cruise Schedule. This schedule includes not only ships originating or ending here but also those with ports of call here in Charleston.

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/pdf/cruisecalendar.pdf

This link may also be of some help for those of you traveling this way!

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/index.html

teltrainer
September 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM
HI, this is the 2008 Charleston port schedule:
http://www.port-of-charleston.com/Cruises/documents/CRUISE_CALENDAR_2008.pdf

teltrainer
September 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Hi, I've seen this ship in port a few times. They are a small cruise ship line and offer an Antebellem South Cruise originating in Charleston.
Go to: http://www.americancruiselines.com/store.php?crn=235

GloriaF
September 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I was going to post about American, too. I looked into this, but the prices are very high considering you could drive to every port if you wanted to.

Cukoobananas, thank you for all the help with my cousin's weekend on another thread. I sent info on several hotels you mentioned for discussion during the Nov trip that I will miss.

I also found Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant - it is not in the historic district and would require us to drive 7-8 miles, so I wanted to know if parking is readily available in the historic district? The advantages of Homewood Suites is that they have a 2 BR (private BR and bath) plus a living area with a sofa bed and a full kitchen, dining area, etc. It would give us more room/sq footage than some of the suites I considered in the historic district, and it is less money. Parking is free, and that seemed to be an issue at hotels in the historic district as well. We will be coming from different areas and have several cars, so a parking garage fee of $12/day X 3-4 vehicles is a big deal.

What do you think of this property and our plan to drive into town?

cukoobananas
September 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I was going to post about American, too. I looked into this, but the prices are very high considering you could drive to every port if you wanted to.

Cukoobananas, thank you for all the help with my cousin's weekend on another thread. I sent info on several hotels you mentioned for discussion during the Nov trip that I will miss.

I also found Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant - it is not in the historic district and would require us to drive 7-8 miles, so I wanted to know if parking is readily available in the historic district? The advantages of Homewood Suites is that they have a 2 BR (private BR and bath) plus a living area with a sofa bed and a full kitchen, dining area, etc. It would give us more room/sq footage than some of the suites I considered in the historic district, and it is less money. Parking is free, and that seemed to be an issue at hotels in the historic district as well. We will be coming from different areas and have several cars, so a parking garage fee of $12/day X 3-4 vehicles is a big deal.

What do you think of this property and our plan to drive into town?

Thier are several parking decks in the area near the market, plus a number of private lots. Some of the privat lots open up after hours for a fee. To tell you the truth you are almost better and will come out cheaper taking a taxi from the hotel to downtown. The taxi drivers around here are use to the parking situation. Before they drop you off just ask them for a card. Give them a call when you are ready to be picked up. Also the front desk can arrange a taxi. Taxi's here can range from a Crown Vick to a Suburban. So I'm not talking Yellow Cab unless you just want to. Also, FYI. Should you decide to make a reservation in the Historical District I know for a FACT that the Embassy Suites will sometimes throw in free parking. Especially if you rent one of thier suites for a few nights. If you are going to do that just call them directly to set it up. Should you decide on Mt. Pleasant you may want to take a taxi downtown at least on the first night so you can see where some of the parking decks are. Plenty of one way streets to get you turned around on. I hope this helps some. All in all it sounds like you have a good idea. You will get more for your money in Mt. Pleasant for sure. If you are willing to drive a little go for it. Not to mention you will be near some outlet malls over in Mt. Pleasant.:D

GloriaF
September 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Dean, the taxi idea is a good one and I had not considered a taxi. I think once the group gets up and started, we would be spending all day out and about so it would not matter that our hotel is closeby. Also, I'll check with Embassy Suites - and see what kind of (parking) perks they can give us.

terrylou
September 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hello Everyone!

I live in Charleston South Carolina and have worked downtown in the Historical district for a few years now. I thought I would start this thread to help those of you traveling to this beautiful city. I will tell you that I don't know everything about the area but what I do know I will share with you. Should you ask me something I don't know I will tell you. I would rather tell you I don't know than give you the wrong information. I hope this helps those of you traveling here. Happy Cruising and please enjoy Charleston!!!!:D :D

Dean

Hi Dean:

My daughter just booked Doubletree Suites on Church St for a weekend in December. DH and I are also going to Charleston the same weekend and just booked Lodge Alley Inn on East Bay Street. My question to you is...How far away will we be from them? I've been to Charleston several times and I must say it is the most beautiful city. We just love it.

Thanks,
terrylou

michigal
September 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
Dean & Teltrainer,
Thanks for the links! I had never heard of American before. Both Seabourn and American look great. They may be out of our price range, but we're going to look into them. The harbor cruises sound good too.

Thanks again!

GloriaF
September 24th, 2007, 01:22 AM
michigal, good luck with the East Coast cruises. One thing you might want to look into is the Princess itinerary for New England and Canada ~ they are usually called the Fall Colors cruises. Princess will be much more reasonably priced in comparison to Seabourn and American.

cukoobananas
October 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Dean:

My daughter just booked Doubletree Suites on Church St for a weekend in December. DH and I are also going to Charleston the same weekend and just booked Lodge Alley Inn on East Bay Street. My question to you is...How far away will we be from them? I've been to Charleston several times and I must say it is the most beautiful city. We just love it.

Thanks,
terrylou

Hey Terrylou,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. If you are staying at The Lodge Alley Inn you will not be far from the Double Tree at all. Just go up East Bay to Market Street. Make a left on Market to Church St. The Double Tree will be there on the corner of Market and Church. Will not be a bad walk at all in December. Hope this helps.:)

iheartbda
October 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Dean,
Just found this interesting thread. I cruised out of Charleston Feb. 07 and had a bit of time in Charleston. My husband and I are considering a trip to Charleston for Christmas, probably Dec. 24-26 give or take. My preference is to stay right in the historical district.
Husband prefers newer hotels vs. B&Bs. Since that's the route we'll take, I would like a really nice place, not necessarily the most expensive. Any recommendations for a good central location? I think I remember seeing a Doubletree that looked quite nice. At this point we don't know if we're going to fly or drive but I'm leaning toward driving to have the convenience of a car. Is it better to have a car or is public transportation a good option?
Is there anything special going on at Christmas? What are some of the must see things to do and see? Personal recommendations for local food would be appreciated, the places natives go for good food.
Hoping to cruise out of Charleston again this winter and if we do will have some questions about that later on.
Thanks in advance.

canadiangirltoo
October 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Cukoobananas,

We're going to be in Charleston pre-cruise in early January, probably just for the afternoon and evening on the day prior to the cruise. We're travelling with our two daughters (ages 11 and 12) and another couple. Do you have any recommendations as to what we should and could see in view of the limited amount of time that we have there?

Thanks so much! I appreciate your input!

canadiangirltoo

ElizSta
October 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hi!

I'll be cruising out of Charleston in April. DH and I need a good place to stay the night before and the night after. On both nights we need either free or inexpensive transfers from the airport and the cruise terminal.

The first night, a Friday, the hotel can be as utilitarian as necessary. We'll be flying in late-eveningish and will just want to wake up, grab breakfast, get excited, and head over to the port.

We'll dock the following Saturday in the am and want to spend the day in Charleston. We'd like a downtown hotel if possible, in walking distance to the cool stuff. Or, a free shuttle would be just fine. We'd then need a drive to the airport Sunday morning.

Any suggestions? We want to keep the price as low as possible-- nothing over 150 would be superb.

Thanks!!!

Ronrocks!
November 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Dean,
Just found this interesting thread. I cruised out of Charleston Feb. 07 and had a bit of time in Charleston. My husband and I are considering a trip to Charleston for Christmas, probably Dec. 24-26 give or take. My preference is to stay right in the historical district.
Husband prefers newer hotels vs. B&Bs. Since that's the route we'll take, I would like a really nice place, not necessarily the most expensive. Any recommendations for a good central location? I think I remember seeing a Doubletree that looked quite nice. At this point we don't know if we're going to fly or drive but I'm leaning toward driving to have the convenience of a car. Is it better to have a car or is public transportation a good option?
Is there anything special going on at Christmas? What are some of the must see things to do and see? Personal recommendations for local food would be appreciated, the places natives go for good food.
Hoping to cruise out of Charleston again this winter and if we do will have some questions about that later on.
Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm not Cukoo but he's a friend of mine. We both live in Charleston so I think I may be able to help you out. As far as places to stay I would say the Doubletree has one of the best locations and is one of the nicest. You walk out the front door of the hotel and you are at the market. Very central to everything. As far as good eats...wow...so many.

One of the most well known places for seafood is Hymans which is just around the corner from the Doubletree. It's definatly a tourist place but you will find just as many locals in there because the seafood is good. If you look at and earlier post from Cukoo you will find more places he likes. Keep in mind Cukoo hasn't turned down too many meals.:p He's done a good job thus far when he takes me out to eat. If he didn't he would be going alone!

Also, durring that time of year down town will be lit up with all the Christmas lights and such. If you have time bundle up and take a horse and buggy ride through the historical district.

Ronrocks!
November 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hi!

I'll be cruising out of Charleston in April. DH and I need a good place to stay the night before and the night after. On both nights we need either free or inexpensive transfers from the airport and the cruise terminal.

The first night, a Friday, the hotel can be as utilitarian as necessary. We'll be flying in late-eveningish and will just want to wake up, grab breakfast, get excited, and head over to the port.

We'll dock the following Saturday in the am and want to spend the day in Charleston. We'd like a downtown hotel if possible, in walking distance to the cool stuff. Or, a free shuttle would be just fine. We'd then need a drive to the airport Sunday morning.

Any suggestions? We want to keep the price as low as possible-- nothing over 150 would be superb.

Thanks!!!

You may want to check into the Hampton Inn Down town for Pre-cruise stay. It will probably be on the lower and of the hotels downtown and still be safe. Or you can save more money if you stay at one of the hotels at the Airport and just take a shuttle down to the port. It's only about a 15 minute drive at most. Check into the Embassy Suites Convention Center or Hilton Gardens. Both of these are near the airport. The outlet mall is just around the corner and you will have a few eating options that night. I think Chillis, Buffalo Wild Wings, IHOP, and Wendys are all at that exit.

Ronrocks!
November 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Cukoobananas,

We're going to be in Charleston pre-cruise in early January, probably just for the afternoon and evening on the day prior to the cruise. We're travelling with our two daughters (ages 11 and 12) and another couple. Do you have any recommendations as to what we should and could see in view of the limited amount of time that we have there?

Thanks so much! I appreciate your input!

canadiangirltoo

Hello canadiangirltoo. You may want to try the aquarium which is near the port. Or just walk around the market. My daughters enjoy walking around down there. Plenty to see and do around the market. You can take a horse and buggy ride or just walk the historical district. The Christmas lights and such should still be up.

TPKeller
November 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hello, I've enjoyed reading through this thread of great information!

I've just recently added a Charleston Cruise Map (http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=scchas) to my collection. It can be a big help if you need to get driving directions, and it also has a Google search feature that allows you to look for various places of business or attractions in the local area.

I've also added markers for several of the outlying plantations, so you can see what they look like from the sky.

Hope you find it helpful!

Theron

GORDONCHICK
November 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
My family (me, DH, & DS, who is 6) is interested in a driving vacation over spring break in March, with Charleston as one of the main destinations. I would love to stay in the historic downtown area, but DH won't go for the prices. He'd rather hassle with the parking, etc. What is there to see, keeping our DS in mind. I've heard (some time ago) about plantation tours that approach from the water, and I'm especially interested in something like that. We are looking at staying 3-4 nights, then possibly Savannah.

NCmom
November 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
My family (me, DH, & DS, who is 6) is interested in a driving vacation over spring break in March, with Charleston as one of the main destinations. I would love to stay in the historic downtown area, but DH won't go for the prices. He'd rather hassle with the parking, etc. What is there to see, keeping our DS in mind. I've heard (some time ago) about plantation tours that approach from the water, and I'm especially interested in something like that. We are looking at staying 3-4 nights, then possibly Savannah.

I don't know if you've looked into it, but the Best Western King Charles Inn is downtown, and is usually reasonably priced and includes parking. It's nothing fancy, but the location is good. If you stay outside of the downtown area, I would recommend that you drive in and park at the Visitor's Center and take the shuttle around (you can purchase multi-day shuttle tickets.

I think your son would enjoy the aquarium, which is located on the river, and close to the IMAX theatre. There is also a city museum which is nice, but nothing special. I don't know of any plantation tours that arrive by boat, but there could easily be some out there. We also enjoyed a combo boat tour and carriage tour deal. We saw dolphins while touring the bay area.

Essiesmom
November 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Don't forget Patriot's Point, with the carrier Yorktown, and various other naval vessels that are now museums and can be toured. It is across the bay/Cooper river in Mt. Pleasant, but easily reached and visible from the Aquarium...CJ

Ronrocks!
March 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hey everyone! If anyone has any questions that have not been answered please feel free to ask.:)

bobsfamily
March 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hey everyone! If anyone has any questions that have not been answered please feel free to ask.:)

Live here myself (iop) and think your answers are fine. If I can be of assistance to anyone, please ask one of us from the area.
Bob

cruisnpat
March 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I don't have any questions at this time but I would like to say thanks for all the great information. Ron I finally found out that you have a serious side to you.

one of the critters.

Ronrocks!
March 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't have any questions at this time but I would like to say thanks for all the great information. Ron I finally found out that you have a serious side to you.

one of the critters.

Awwwww heck!! Don't tell anyone...I have a reputation to protect!;)

hateswaterloves2cruise
March 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM
We are sailing out of Charleston May 17. Plan to arrive the 15th. Thinking about staying at the Homewood Suites. Do you know if they allow you to leave your vehicle in their lot while you cruise? Also, do they offer a shuttle to the pier or would you have to take a taxi?, if so How much? Wanted to stay longer in Charleston but other committments got in the way. Perhaps a longer stay in the fall. Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

Ronrocks!
April 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
We are sailing out of Charleston May 17. Plan to arrive the 15th. Thinking about staying at the Homewood Suites. Do you know if they allow you to leave your vehicle in their lot while you cruise? Also, do they offer a shuttle to the pier or would you have to take a taxi?, if so How much? Wanted to stay longer in Charleston but other committments got in the way. Perhaps a longer stay in the fall. Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

Hello!,

I just got off the phone with Homewood Suites. They do not have a private shuttle but they can arrange to have one pick you up if you would like. They will however, let you keep your car there while you cruise. You need to make sure you let them know that you plan to do this and give them your tag info. I have a list of shuttle services that I am familiar with on the first page which I will bring forward for you. Prices will vary depending on time of year and number of people. I would call just to make sure of the price. The Homewood Suites is in Mount Pleasant which is across the bridge about 8 miles from the port. It's one of the newer hotels in the area.

If you wish to stay closer to the port I would recommend one of the hotels in the Historical District. The Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn are both very nice, mid price range. They both have a parking deck and you pretty much walk or take a short taxi ride to most of the attractions downtown. Market Street, Aquarium, etc. They too will arrange a shuttle to take you to the port which is only about 6 blocks away. I hope this helps. Anything else please ask.

Homewood Suites Mt Pleasant
1998 Riviera Dr
Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
(843) 881-6950

Ronrocks!
April 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Here is some information that I hope helps some.

Doubletree Guest Suites Historic Charleston
Relax in executive king guestrooms or elegant one & two bedroom suites and feature our luxurious Sweet Dreams® beds by Doubletree. Freshly-baked cookies at check-in, valet parking and home to Hank’s Seafood Restaurant. Walking distance to restaurants and harbor views.

181 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2644
or 877-408-8733
Email: chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com (chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com)

Belvidere Harbor Cottages
Luxury accommodations in a secluded setting, featuring magnificent panoramic views of Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter and historic downtown. Each two-bedroom/three full bath Cottage is fully-equipped and sleeps up to six, full kitchen, elegant furnishings, pool, hot tub. Continental breakfast included.

16 Patriots Point Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-3342
or 866-901-2688
Email: Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com (Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com)

Francis Marion Hotel
Historic Charleston's landmark hotel since 1924. Completely restored and elegantly appointed marble lobby, crown moldings and intricate wrought iron. Across from Marion Square. 227 guest rooms and suites offer spectacular views of Charleston's harbor. On the National Register of Historic Places.

387 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-0600
or 877-756-2121
Fax: 843-853-2186
Email: info@francismarioncharleston.com (info@francismarioncharleston.com)

Embassy Suites Historic Charleston
Home of the original 19th century Citadel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market, the King Street boutiques and restaurants. Evening reception in our courtyard area overlooking Marion Square.

337 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-6900
or 800-EMBASSY
Fax: 843-723-6938
Email: chses_ds@hilton.com (chses_ds@hilton.com)

Hampton Inn Historic District
This restored historic landmark, once a burlap bag factory in the 18th century, was designed for the traveler with discerning taste. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market and King Street fashion boutiques. High speed wireless Internet.

345 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-4000
or 800-HAMPTON
Email: chshd_hampton@hilton.com (chshd_hampton@hilton.com)

Holiday Inn Historic District
This luxury hotel combines Old-World elegance with New-World amenities. Beautifully landscaped courtyard, outdoor heated pool, concierge and bellman services. Enjoy the Battery Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the Battery Lounge for evening relaxation.

125 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-805-7900
or 877-805-7900

Fulton Lane Inn
Totally non-smoking Inn. Nestled among the city's finest antique shops, across from Saks Fifth Avenue. One of Charleston's best kept secrets. We offer luxurious rooms, king-size beds, large whirlpools and fireplaces. Continental breakfast delivered to your room and complimentary wine and sherry.

202 King Street
Charleston , SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2600
or 800-720-2688
Fax: 843-720-2940

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_left_bot_grey.gifPLACES TO EAT
Charleston Grill
Dinner Su-Th 6-10pm; F-Sa 6-11pm; jazz nightly; cocktails from 5pm. Located in the Charleston Place Hotel. The most comfortable and beautiful restaurant in Charleston for cocktails, live jazz and exciting Lowcountry and coastal cooking prepared by Chef Bob Waggoner. South Carolina's most acclaimed Mobil Four-Star restaurant and winner of Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence." The Vintner's Room is available for private parties.

224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-4522

Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Su-Th 5:00-10:30pm; F-Sa 5:00-11:30pm. By design and cuisine, Hank’s resembles a decades-old neighborhood fixture reminiscent of a classic 1940s Charleston fish house. Relaxed atmosphere is backdrop to Chef Frank McMahon’s local seafood classics and innovative seasonal specials. Bar and communal table attracts a sociable crowd of locals, nightly.

10 Hayne Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-3474

39 Rue De Jean
French style café and bar offering the best in Brasserie cuisine. Indoor/outdoor patio seating, predominantly French wine list with champagne and sakes. Sunday Brunch from 10am, Lunch daily from 11:30am, served continuously through to Dinner service beginning at 5:30pm. Late nite menu through 1am, featuring steaks, sushi and salads.

39 John Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8881
Fax: 843-722-8835

82 Queen
Open 365 Days a Year; 11:30am till 10:30pm - Sunday Brunch 11:30am. Serving Charleston’s most authentic Lowcountry cuisine for 25 years. Offering the freshest seafood and aged steaks garnished with locally grown herbs and vegetables. Enjoy award-winning She Crab Soup and desserts. Voted “Best City Restaurant” by the readers of Southern Living Magazine.

82 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-7591
or 800-849-0082
Email: info@82queen.com (info@82queen.com)

Bocci's Italian Restaurant
Dinner: M-Th 4:30-10pm; F-Sa 4:30-11pm. Service in a casual, comfortable, ethnic setting. A favorite among locals seeking a romantic escape. Bocci’s chefs are known for their authentic specialties. Excellent wine list, a variety of gourmet coffees, and desserts. Italian dining on par with New York’s “Little Italy.”

158 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2121

Coast
Charleston’s freshest seafood, with a relaxed beach inspired atmosphere, in the heart of historic downtown. Featuring the freshest fish and produce in the Lowcountry, a full raw bar, and a refreshing drink list. Open nightly from 5:30. Outdoor seating available.

39-D John St.
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8838

Grill 225
High-energy eatery, replete with mahogany booths & alabaster chandeliers, serving 100% USDA Prime Beef & seafood under Executive Chef Demetre Castanas. Charleston’s only USDA Prime steakhouse. Impressive wine list & desserts, & stellar service. Great Steak Houses of North America.

Hyman's Seafood and Aaron's Deli
Open 7 days a week. Voted best seafood in Southeast by Southern Living Magazine readers poll survey out of 18 states and 8 years running. Eli, one of the great grandchildren or Brad’s son-in-law, are in the building 7 days a week to insure 100% satisfaction and quality control.

215 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-6000

Poogan's Porch
Open seven days a week. One of Charleston's oldest and most reputable culinary establishments. A historic landmark with entertaining past. Synonymous with providing impeccable Lowcountry hospitality and cuisine. Since 1976, we have become a hot spot for celebrities, politicians, tourists and locals who rave about this Southern institution. Brunch Sa & Sun. L, D. $-$$$.

72 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2337

Tommy Condon's Irish Pub & Seafood Restaurant
11:00 a.m.-1 a.m. for lunch and dinner. This long-time Charleston tradition provides an experience crafted after a true Irish pub. Atmosphere is appropriate for families, couples, and folks just looking to hoist a pint! Seafood, steaks, burgers. Dine in the pub or on the outdoor deck. Live Irish music Wednesday-Sunday.

160 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-3818

I hope this helps some of you. It would be impossible for me to list all the excellent eating establishments in Charleston so the ones I've listed here I have first hand knowledge of. Yes...I eat out from time to time.:D I honestly believe that you could eat out every night for a year and still not eat at every place in historical Charleston.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask. I love helping out people. Plus I hope you love Charleston as much as I do!!

Ronrocks!
April 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM
TRANSPORTATION

Primetime Charleston Transport Services, LLC
Let us simplify your transportation needs. We are a professional transport service with a wide array of vehicles that can make your arrival and departure from Charleston Airport a pleasant experience. We accept all major credit cards. Please call for reservations.

1101 Stone Pine Road
Ladson, SC 29456
Phone: 843-478-6778
Fax: 843-376-9210
Email: reservations@primetimecharleston.com

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_left_bot_grey.gif http://www.charlestoncvb.com/images/corner_right_top_grey.gifRoyal Limousine Service
Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Royal Limousine Service offers the highest-quality vehicles as well as unparalleled customer service. We have earned a reputation for professionalism and reliability by providing exceptional transportation at fair pricing. Our extensive fleet of vans, sedans, buses, and limousines meets any professional needs.

2183 Hwy 17 Bypass, Suite 109
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-7272
Fax: 843-723-2515
Email: info@royallimo.biz

bobsfamily
April 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Here are a couple more places to stay

The historic section is the same as the downtown area. For what you want that is the place to stay. The Charleston Place is top of the line:
http://www.charlestonplace.com/web/o...a_a2a_home.jsp

We stay there a least once a year even though downtown is about a 15 min. drive. If you can afford it the Club level is unbelievable and is basically all-inclusive... food/drinks basically all day. Call to book the club level as it is usually cheaper.

In Mt. Pleasant(across the harbor from downtown) is Charleston Harbor resort and Marina:
http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/

Very nice Hilton that has a ferry to downtown running all day. It has a "fake" beach with sand and could be the best of both worlds.

Those 2 I would highly recommend but they are the higher side.

There are many choices downtown and all will be within a very short cab ride to the cruise dock. Several are within walking distance if you luggage is light.
One note on cabs... ask for one that is NOT metered, but has a fixed price as you do not know how long you will be in line to drop of bags and yourself.

Bob

hateswaterloves2cruise
April 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for all the info. I have been researching hotels but hesitate to pay $300+ for a hotel room when we won't be in it that much. We were going to bring our rv, but heard that pier parking was 3 times what it was to park a car. The stay and cruise idea seemed like a good one but every hotel noted seems to have both positive and negative comments so it gets confusing.:( We wanted to stay longer in Charleston but can't this trip so we will try to come back later in the year. :) Thanks again for all the help.

UNCle Don
April 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
A while back, I saw a post saying that parking at the public parking garages was going to cost more after April 1. I had considered the Republic parking very near the cruise terminal for $12 a day during our cruise later this month, but wonder what that costs now. Also, is the warehouse parking for cruisers still $110 for a week?
Thanks,
UNCle Don

MP2271
April 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Don't see it mentioned anywhere else, but if you're looking for awesome desserts, I have ONE word for you...Kaminsky's!

http://www.kaminskys.com/

bobsfamily
April 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
The fees have gone to $1.50 for first hour and then $1.00 per hour thereafter. I cannot find what the limit is for "long term" yet, but will research it.

Dive Master
April 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Don't see it mentioned anywhere else, but if you're looking for awesome desserts, I have ONE word for you...Kaminsky's!

http://www.kaminskys.com/

Yep, the Mountain of Chocolate Cake is my favorite! We always get a couple of take out deserts to take back to the inn and eat them in the courtyard.

UNCle Don
April 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Bob (or anyone else who may know), for any late word on parking possibilities. The post I saw (in the NCL posts) said that city parking garages would charge $20 per day starting April 1. I don't know whether the warehouse parking for cruisers or any possible alternative parking has also increased, but would like to know. Also, I'm not sure whether the "Republic" parking garage very close to the cruise terminal is a city garage or not (and, if not, what its current rates may be). Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
UNCle Don

bobsfamily
April 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks, Bob (or anyone else who may know), for any late word on parking possibilities. The post I saw (in the NCL posts) said that city parking garages would charge $20 per day starting April 1. I don't know whether the warehouse parking for cruisers or any possible alternative parking has also increased, but would like to know. Also, I'm not sure whether the "Republic" parking garage very close to the cruise terminal is a city garage or not (and, if not, what its current rates may be). Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
UNCle Don

I am not sure about people's problem with parking at the pier, but I would do that. I must admit that when I get back from the cruise the last thing I want is to hassle around with getting my car. I just went on a cruise out of PC - paid the parking fee and when I came back my car and my family were out of the lot and on I-95 in 10 min.

How much is it to park thru the cruise line? I thought it was less than $20 pd.

UNCle Don
April 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. What I called the "warehouse parking" is, I think, the "official" cruise parking (or parking at the pier). I believe it has cost $110 for a 7 day cruise in the past and I currently think I'll use it IF the price hasn't gone up and it's available later this month. (The alternative "official" parking when BMW needs the warehouse sounds much less convenient.) However, several others said that public parking was both cheaper and more convenient than the "official" (pier) parking on earlier cruises. The "Republic" garage across the street from the cruise terminal apparently used to charge $12 per day. I'm not sure whether that's one of the ones that was reportedly increasing to $20 per day on April 1 or not and hoped someone might know. Thanks for your interest.
Cheers,
UNCle Don
P.S. For more on alternate parking possibilities, see the thread on "Majesty 2/16/08 - 2/23/08". One way to locate that thread is by clicking on my name and checking my posts on that thread.

bobsfamily
April 7th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. What I called the "warehouse parking" is, I think, the "official" cruise parking (or parking at the pier). I believe it has cost $110 for a 7 day cruise in the past and I currently think I'll use it IF the price hasn't gone up and it's available later this month. (The alternative "official" parking when BMW needs the warehouse sounds much less convenient.) However, several others said that public parking was both cheaper and more convenient than the "official" (pier) parking on earlier cruises. The "Republic" garage across the street from the cruise terminal apparently used to charge $12 per day. I'm not sure whether that's one of the ones that was reportedly increasing to $20 per day on April 1 or not and hoped someone might know. Thanks for your interest.
Cheers,
UNCle Don
P.S. For more on alternate parking possibilities, see the thread on "Majesty 2/16/08 - 2/23/08". One way to locate that thread is by clicking on my name and checking my posts on that thread.

I understand now... I have left from Charleston pier before and dropped people off. I would NOT want to walk from an off site parking garage with my luggage. If you are staying overnight and use one of the hotels that let you leave your car (see previous threads) I would take a cab from the hotel (not metered, but set price). I myself looked at alternatives for a departure in PC and found that after the price for the room($160 versus another hotel 15 miles away at $70) that I used from 9pm til 9am that it was cheaper to just pay at the pier and have my car ready when I needed it.
If you do have to park in the further area and take the shuttle it is more of a hassle(I'm talking about the official parking) but IMHO still the best alternative.
Hope all goes well,
Bob

mamadot
April 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Is there any tourist attractions within walking distance of the Port? We will be in Charleston for one day on the Maasdam and would like some place near the ship to do some sight seeing. We have done trips to Charleston on driving tours.

TPKeller
April 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hello, I've enjoyed reading through this thread of great information!

I've just recently added a Charleston Cruise Map (http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=scchas) to my collection. It can be a big help if you need to get driving directions, and it also has a Google search feature that allows you to look for various places of business or attractions in the local area.

I've also added markers for several of the outlying plantations, so you can see what they look like from the sky.

Hope you find it helpful!

Theron
I posted this quite a ways back, but you can use the link above to see where the port is in relation to some of the tourist attractions. If you find a place you want to see, type the name into the search bar and it should show up on the map so you can see if it's close enough.

Theron

MP2271
April 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Is there any tourist attractions within walking distance of the Port? We will be in Charleston for one day on the Maasdam and would like some place near the ship to do some sight seeing. We have done trips to Charleston on driving tours.

The port is right at the foot of both North & South Market Streets...There are numerous shops along there, you can catch a carriage ride, there are walking tour ticket sales, the famous City Market where folks sell all sorts of stuff including sweetgrass baskets. At the top of the Market Streets (at Meeting Street) is Charleston Place with upscale shopping. Up one block from there is King Street with more shopping.

Here's a link to a map of the Market Area...It's a little outdated but still gives a good idea of the layout. Applebee's is now the Noisy Oyster...First Union Bank is now Saks Fift Avenue (I'm pretty sure...I don't get down there much).

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/market_diagram.pdf

Here's a link to a map of downtown Charleston. This page also has a link to order a visitors guide.

http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/sc/mapdntwn.htm

The map TPKeller linked to is also a very good map.

bobsfamily
April 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM

As several have posted you are basically dropped downtown and are in walking distance of many tourist attractions. There are some that are cab distance or there is a "trolley" (a bus really) that goes around downtown that you can get on, pay once and then get on and off at different places. It's called DASH. There is a world class aquarium on the route and "the Battery" park. You can take a water taxi over to Mt. Pleasant and tour the Yorktown aircraft carrier along with other ships.
Have a wonderful time.

njtom
April 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Dean,
we are traveling to Charleson, S.C .may 6th-may13th.....3 days at the elliott house, 2 days at the homewood suites in mount pleasent and 3 days at the main street inn on hilton head island. any good recommendations ? so far we have booked a photo walking tour, a tea tour, and a night time ghost tour. I have done much research on all the good restaurants already, any other good ideas while we are there ?

Tom K.
New jersey

Ronrocks!
April 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Dean,
we are traveling to Charleson, S.C .may 6th-may13th.....3 days at the elliott house, 2 days at the homewood suites in mount pleasent and 3 days at the main street inn on hilton head island. any good recommendations ? so far we have booked a photo walking tour, a tea tour, and a night time ghost tour. I have done much research on all the good restaurants already, any other good ideas while we are there ?

Tom K.
New jersey

Tom,

I would recommend just taking the sites in on your own for while here. You can get a map at your hotel which will have all the places to see. You can get dropped of downtown at the Market and just spend the day walking around. While there you can always take a horse and buggy ride. If you like photography you will love Charleston. Be sure to get a picture of Rainbow Row. If you like plantations you may want to check out one of the Plantation tours. Most of the leave from the Visitors Center on Meeting Street. You can't go wrong just spending the day downtown with a camera.

Dive Master
April 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Dean,

Tom K.
New jersey

Tom,

You will love Elliot House.It is our favorite small inn in Charleston.The courtyard and whirlpool are wonderful. We park our car in the city garage across the street and walk everywhere.The inn has complimentary bikes too.We always eat lunch at 82 Queen next door (fantastic she-crab soup and shrimp -n -grits). We usualy eat dinners at Hyman's Seafood,Old Town,Bocci's, or T-Bones.Kaminski's next to T-Bones in the Market has fantastic deserts--we get a couple to go and take back to the courtyard.We always try to go to a play (Footlight Players or Charleston Stage or both).Both theaters are within easy walking distance.We shop in the Market and King Street.We always walk down Church Steet, East Bay, or Meeting Street.Church Steet to the Battery may be one of the most historic streets in America.You could tour the Hayward-Washington House, and St.Phillips Church on your walk.The Nathaniel Russell House on Meeting Street is beautiful. Waterfront Park is a great place to end the day in a swing overlooking the Cooper River.The Confederate Museum at the Market is nice for civil war buffs (oops I meant the "War of Northern Agression).The SC Aquarium and Charleston Museum are worth a visit and the Gibbs Museum of Art is just around the corner from the inn.You will not get bored in Charleson !!!!

In Mount Pleasant you might want to spend a day at Patriot's Point and tour the Yorktown and the other ships.You can also take a tour boat to Fort Sumter from here. This is a full day. Boone Hall is nice. Many great seafood places on Shem Creek.

Hope this helps and enjoy Charleston.

ncdebe
April 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I am looking at surprising my husband with a visit to this restaurant in Mt Pleasant ~is it as good as they say?

MP2271
April 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am looking at surprising my husband with a visit to this restaurant in Mt Pleasant ~is it as good as they say?

Which restaurant is that?

bobsfamily
April 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM

I cannot find a review of the place and have not heard of it til now. That does not say much because eatery's abound here. Some last a season and are touted as the best... then are gone.
Where did you hear about it?

The telephone listing is a number that would be somewhat new... in the past couple of years.
Your Place
217 Lucas St Ste H1
Mount Pleasant , SC 29464
(843) 388-8002

ncdebe
April 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Which restaurant is that?

It is a restaurant called "Your Place"

MP2271
April 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I cannot find a review of the place and have not heard of it til now. That does not say much because eatery's abound here. Some last a season and are touted as the best... then are gone.
Where did you hear about it?

The telephone listing is a number that would be somewhat new... in the past couple of years.
Your Place
217 Lucas St Ste H1
Mount Pleasant , SC 29464
(843) 388-8002

Your Place was actually down on Market Street across from the port in a tiny little shack looking building. It closed a year or 2 ago. I'll check around & see if it's reopened in Mt. Pleasant and let you know what I find out.

bobsfamily
April 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Your Place was actually down on Market Street across from the port in a tiny little shack looking building. It closed a year or 2 ago. I'll check around & see if it's reopened in Mt. Pleasant and let you know what I find out.

That's what I thought but the op was talking about a place in Mt. Pleasant... and I found that address in Mt. P. I beleive she may have been talking about the one downtown.

MP2271
April 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
That's what I thought but the op was talking about a place in Mt. Pleasant... and I found that address in Mt. P. I beleive she may have been talking about the one downtown.

My nephew lives downtown & practically lived at Your Place before it closed. He's checking it out & will let me know what he finds out. If it is reopened in Mt. P., he will be VERY happy! lol

bobsfamily
April 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
My nephew lives downtown & practically lived at Your Place before it closed. He's checking it out & will let me know what he finds out. If it is reopened in Mt. P., he will be VERY happy! lol

I live on IOP and have never heard that it moved to Mt. P, BUT as I said there are so many places... Plus I rarely leave the island unless forced. lol

MP2271
April 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Dean,

Tom K.
New jersey

Which Ghost tour are you doing? Just curious...Don't forget to take your camera with you!

njtom
April 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
we are doing the ghost and dungeon tour (bulldog tours) also we are doing the historic charleston harbor tour, the charleston photo walking tour and the tea walking tour.
NJTOM

bobsfamily
April 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
we are doing the ghost and dungeon tour (bulldog tours) also we are doing the historic charleston harbor tour, the charleston photo walking tour and the tea walking tour.
NJTOM

You are going to be busy! Come out to the islands and relax part of the time. When in Mt. Pleasant at Homewood suites you will almost be there... take the main road outside the shopping area and head toward the water and you will be on the Isle of Palms connector. Go over the marsh and the Intracoastal waterway and when you get to the stoplight (only one) you are on the island... go thru the stoplight, find a parking spot, head to the beach! Eat at the Banana Cabana, have a drink at the world famous Windjammer, stop in the only oceanfront VFW, dance at Coconut Joe's Reggae party on top of his building oceanfront. You WILL have a good time. lol

njtom
April 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bobsfamily,
any other advice or recommendations for Charleston ?
Thanks
Tom

bobsfamily
April 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Bobsfamily,
any other advice or recommendations for Charleston ?
Thanks
Tom

What are you planning on Hilton Head? If you are so much history in Charleston, you should give some time to downtown Savannah.... similar history and houses.. they have their own ghosts.

mamadot
April 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Do cruise ships dock near any place to walk and see the city? Is it necessary to have transportation into town? We have been in the area before but wonder where we will arrive!

christineann
April 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Cruise ships dock within blocks of the historic district. Have a great time!

bobsfamily
April 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Do cruise ships dock near any place to walk and see the city? Is it necessary to have transportation into town? We have been in the area before but wonder where we will arrive!

From most of "downtown" - an area of shops/food/hotels/art/etc the ship will be visible.

hckrphil
April 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I am comming in a night ahead of time and looking to rent a car, the next day we need to get to the cruise port. Are there any recommendations because the airport rental agencies do not do PU/Drop Off at all. Should I take a cab to an alternative rental agency and use the PU/Drop Off? Any advice would be helpful.

bobsfamily
April 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I am comming in a night ahead of time and looking to rent a car, the next day we need to get to the cruise port. Are there any recommendations because the airport rental agencies do not do PU/Drop Off at all. Should I take a cab to an alternative rental agency and use the PU/Drop Off? Any advice would be helpful.

Where are you staying? Why do you need a car? Where are you dropping off the car.. at the airport? I would try a rental place (enterprise for example) that would pick you up or drop you off. If you are staying downtown just get a cab and see the sites by foot.

Let me know more and I'll try to be more helpful.
Bob

jjgreg113
April 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hello. Here is my story. We are staying at he Quality Inn so that we can leave our car there for the week. We are arriving late afternoon on Friday and not sure if we are goiung to feel like going downtown. The next morning we will be taking the shuttle down to the pier. Can we drop our luggage off and walk around the area. From what I have been reading it sounds like there is a lot just in that area.

Or is there anywhere else to drop off our luggage??? Thank you so much.

bobsfamily
April 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hello. Here is my story. We are staying at he Quality Inn so that we can leave our car there for the week. We are arriving late afternoon on Friday and not sure if we are goiung to feel like going downtown. The next morning we will be taking the shuttle down to the pier. Can we drop our luggage off and walk around the area. From what I have been reading it sounds like there is a lot just in that area.

Or is there anywhere else to drop off our luggage??? Thank you so much.

I'm pretty sure you can drop off your luggage without actually checking onto the ship. That would be the way to go. There is a lot to do right near the terminal. "Downtown" is a very short walk... and you will be in the market area. It is an open air market that some might find reminds them of Caribbean markets. They have all the tourist stuff and some actual locally made items. Sweet grass baskets are made locally by ladies that have learned the art from their mothers and so back to pre civil war times. There are churches/bars/eateries/horse drawn carriages/etc. to be found in walking distance.
Depending on the amount of time you might inquire if you can go thru the boarding steps and then be able to get back off the ship for sightseeing... we have done the cruise from Charleston before and I thought you could do that.
Have a great time.
Go to Google and map the area around the terminal.
Bob

cruisin'4ever
April 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
where is better to stay Mt. Pleasant or North Charleston? Which is closer to downtown Charleston? I'm wanting a park and cruise package and it seems alot of the hotels in downtown don't allow parking there or have valet parking. Any reccomendations??

bobsfamily
April 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
where is better to stay Mt. Pleasant or North Charleston? Which is closer to downtown Charleston? I'm wanting a park and cruise package and it seems alot of the hotels in downtown don't allow parking there or have valet parking. Any reccomendations??

If you read back thru this thread you will answer some of the questions. Mt. Pleasant is the way to go if not staying downtown. North Charleston is not a place to stay. High crime and industrial areas. Downtown has a major parking problem. Depending on what the hotel wants for the park and cruise package I might just park at cruise terminal and be done with it. You would have your car right there and be able to leave toward home. I have found personally that in the end I'm willing to pay to have my car right there.

cruisin'4ever
April 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
so the Quality suites and convention center in North Charleston isn't a good choice??

bobsfamily
April 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
so the Quality suites and convention center in North Charleston isn't a good choice??

The hotel and that area is not bad. It has become pretty good in the past couple of years. It is right off the interstate(I-26 to I-526) and near shopping - Tanger outlet mall and Walmart/Sam's. Is this where you plan on leaving your car? The area is near the airport also.
If you drove 2 miles from there I would say no, but that should be OK. I would rather you stay in Mt. Pleasant at the Comfort Inn, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

NextOne
April 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
We're arriving in Charleston on Friday 5/23 for our NCL Majesty departure on 5/24. We've eaten at A.W. Shucks before and wanted to try some place different. I'm a big raw oyster fan, DH not so much. For local dishes, would you choose Hank's or Hyman's? And would reservations be recommended or can we just walk in?
Thanks for the help!

bobsfamily
April 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
We're arriving in Charleston on Friday 5/23 for our NCL Majesty departure on 5/24. We've eaten at A.W. Shucks before and wanted to try some place different. I'm a big raw oyster fan, DH not so much. For local dishes, would you choose Hank's or Hyman's? And would reservations be recommended or can we just walk in?
Thanks for the help!

Downtown either one would do. I'm not sure Hyman's takes reservations and have never eaten at Hank's. I live on a barrier island and go downtown about 3 times a year.... the area you are talking about is very touristy and it's usually when relatives or friends come into town that we go there. Kinda like living in Washington, DC. There are other eatery's that are better, just not downtown. One other thing to remember is that the oysters are most likely not local... Generally local oysters are not available after April - old adage that you don't eat oysters in months that don't have an "r" - May, June, July & August.

NextOne
April 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
True - I forgot about the "R" month thing. What about Coast Bar & Grill - that looks pretty good, too!
We will be driving 8-plus hours to get to Charleston, so would rather stay in the historic area to eat rather than drive anywhere else.

timespliters
April 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hello Everyone!

Dean

Long time since I was in Charleston, born in Greenville but in England now.

ncdebe
April 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Has anyone been able to find out if "YOUR PLACE" is still around? I really would like to try it~

THANKS~

bobsfamily
April 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Has anyone been able to find out if "YOUR PLACE" is still around? I really would like to try it~

THANKS~

The Your Place you are talking about was downtown and a small place at the end of Market St. near the terminal. It no longer exists - -it closed a couple of years ago. There is a place called Your Place in Mt. Pleasant BUT it does nails.
Sorry. Melvin's in Mt. Pleasant (across bridge from downtown) is a barbecue place but Emril in a Playboy article about 10 years ago said it was the best burger he ever had. May be worth checking out -I've had the burger and it is great... so is the barbecue.

bobsfamily
April 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM
True - I forgot about the "R" month thing. What about Coast Bar & Grill - that looks pretty good, too!
We will be driving 8-plus hours to get to Charleston, so would rather stay in the historic area to eat rather than drive anywhere else.

Which way are you coming? Down 95? Just trying to figure if you could stop for food prior to getting downtown. I have never eaten at Coast nor has anyone I know so can't help you there.... that is not uncommon as there are literally hundreds or eateries and new ones pop up every week - and die every week. That being said it seems fine by the ad/website and it has been around since 2002 so it must be doing something right.
If you are really wanting Raw oysters you need to go a Raw Bar - try this:
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A23293
Noisy Oyster is one I have eaten at and it is good. Shem Creek Bar & Grill in Mt. Pleasant is one of the best in my opinion. They have an actual bar that you can sit at and watch the oysters being prepared... and it's on Shem Creek with beautiful water views.

BlueHerons
April 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM
If you read back thru this thread you will answer some of the questions. Mt. Pleasant is the way to go if not staying downtown. North Charleston is not a place to stay. High crime and industrial areas. Downtown has a major parking problem. Depending on what the hotel wants for the park and cruise package I might just park at cruise terminal and be done with it. You would have your car right there and be able to leave toward home. I have found personally that in the end I'm willing to pay to have my car right there.

Amen. Wentworth Mansion has free park and cruise but then again, it is a very expensive hotel.

For the money I like:

The Andrew Pinckney inn
Days Inn Historic District
Indigo Inn
Best Western King Charles
The Vendue Inn (definitely have a drink rooftop)

Favorite Hotels:
Market Pavillion (if you don't stay there at least have a drink rooftop)
The Planters Inn
Charleston Place
Wentworth Mansion

Really nice hotels not as expensive:
Doubletree (have been staying there since it was the Hawthorne Suites)
Harborview Inn
Church Street Inn
French Quarter Inn
Mills House

There are several really upscale B&Bs and there are also B&Bs for every budget in Charleston. Your lodging options are endless.

My husband and I eat downtown twice a week. Once during the week and every Sunday for brunch. Here are a list of our favorite restaurants.

Rue de Jean
Hanks
Peninsula Grill
SNOB
Poogan's Porch (brunch only)
Jestine's Kitchen (brunch only but don't miss the Coca-cola cake)

Cheap eats:
King Street Grille
Andolini's Pizza on Wentworth

If you feel like getting out of downtown to eat, three Do Not Miss restaurants for me are:

Poe's (Sullivan's Island)
Jack's Cosmic Dogs (Awendaw)
SeeWee (Awendaw)

My husband and I live just about an hour up the coast from Charleston and have business there so we spend a lot of time in Charleston.

Shopping:

Bob Ellis Shoes (this is the best shoe store in the country but very expensive)
Saks
318 King
Berlins
Nicole Miller
Christian Michi
Granger Owens
Ben Silver
Moo Roo
Pete Banis Shoes
Rangoni

Just too many to name. Here is a link and these are shops that are very unique. Also some of the nicest antique stores in the country.

http://www.charlestoninsidersguide.com/king-street.php

bobsfamily
May 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Amen to all above.

Charleston Place is one of my most favorite hotels... we go there a couple of times a year and we live 15 min. away.

Try Windjammers on IOP for a burger that will slide right down... and some good tunes.

NextOne
May 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
DH looked at menus and decided that Coast looks like the best. Kaminsky's for dessert, of course! We're using Marriott points to stay at the Renaissance, so all will be in walking distance. Joseph's for breakfast on Saturday for sweet potato pancakes and beignets - yummy! Luckily we'll have time to walk around a bit before we head to the ship!
Only 3 more weeks!!

bobsfamily
May 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
DH looked at menus and decided that Coast looks like the best. Kaminsky's for dessert, of course! We're using Marriott points to stay at the Renaissance, so all will be in walking distance. Joseph's for breakfast on Saturday for sweet potato pancakes and beignets - yummy! Luckily we'll have time to walk around a bit before we head to the ship!
Only 3 more weeks!!

Have a wonderful time!
What date are you coming down? May 23rd? Just realized that is the start of Spoleto... and it will be CROWDED downtown. If you can make reservations anywhere you want to go. The downtown area will be like the 4 of July at a beach. That is opening day. I'm amazed you got a room downtown.
Here is a link:
http://www.spoletousa.org/2008.php

NextOne
May 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Oh, wow! I didn't realize that Spoleto started then. I guess I better make our dinner reservation now! Thanks for the heads up!!

bobsfamily
May 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Oh, wow! I didn't realize that Spoleto started then. I guess I better make our dinner reservation now! Thanks for the heads up!!

Piccolo Spoleto will be going on also... you should have a great time with it.
http://www.piccolospoleto.com/home/default.aspx
Try the above link for more info. It will be going on when you get back, so just realize there may be some delays...
On Sat. when leaving make sure you leave more time than normal for traffic.
Bob

BlueHerons
May 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Amen to all above.

Charleston Place is one of my most favorite hotels... we go there a couple of times a year and we live 15 min. away.

Try Windjammers on IOP for a burger that will slide right down... and some good tunes.

We just stayed with friends on IOP for the Bridge Run two weeks ago and chowed down at Poes. Try to never miss it when we stay on IOP or Sullivan's.

bobsfamily
May 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
We just stayed with friends on IOP for the Bridge Run two weeks ago and chowed down at Poes. Try to never miss it when we stay on IOP or Sullivan's.

Poes is good... nice area on Sullivan's that is eateries and small shops. There is nothing oceanfront on Sullivan's just a small commercial area near the public park.
IOP has several oceanfront eateries/bars and also has some at the marina and inside Wild Dunes.

lotro
May 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
There are several walking Ghost Tours advertised in the Charleston visitors guide. Has anyone ever done one?

MP2271
May 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
There are several walking Ghost Tours advertised in the Charleston visitors guide. Has anyone ever done one?

I always use Bulldog Tours http://www.bulldogtours.com/

I haven't done the haunted jail tour yet, but it's always sold out so if you want to do that one you need to book in advance...I've heard it's great...The building itself is VERY creepy even in daytime!

And be sure to take your camera...you never know what you'll get in a picture!

NextOne
May 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I looked at the Bulldog tours website and they look pretty good. Are advance reservations needed for the later of the two cemetery tours? That would be a fun way to walk off dinner!

MP2271
May 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I looked at the Bulldog tours website and they look pretty good. Are advance reservations needed for the later of the two cemetery tours? That would be a fun way to walk off dinner!

I've always been able to walk in & buy the tickets, but with Spoleto going on & the Cruise folks in town, it might not be a bad idea...

bobsfamily
May 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I've always been able to walk in & buy the tickets, but with Spoleto going on & the Cruise folks in town, it might not be a bad idea...

Whatever you want to do during Spoleto get a reservation if it is available. Hotels/ghost walks/jazz/etc. will be busy. Charleston has a major upswing of tourists during that two week period. Some come for the entire time, others come for the weekend. You will have a great time before your cruise and after... just go with the flow.

njtom
May 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
i just returned from charleston and we did the bulldog tour - the dungeon one...very good tour company, reservations are required.
njtom

flatman
May 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hey Dean,

OK, your makin me homesick. Great advice and information. I live in Iowa now, and I married a great lady who lived in Concord NC. I myself lived in Edisto Beach and worked as a Park Ranger for ten years, and I can't say there's a better place to be than in South Carolina. I've been in the hospitality business in management for several years now, but we would really love to somehow come back to your area. If you have any suggestions reach me at jef1949@yahoo.com.
My wife and I just started cruising, and I think I would love to go out of charleston but I don't see them doing any type of Caribbean cruises yet. Maybe someday..
Thanks for the memories and the info...

bobsfamily
May 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hey Dean,

OK, your makin me homesick. Great advice and information. I live in Iowa now, and I married a great lady who lived in Concord NC. I myself lived in Edisto Beach and worked as a Park Ranger for ten years, and I can't say there's a better place to be than in South Carolina. I've been in the hospitality business in management for several years now, but we would really love to somehow come back to your area. If you have any suggestions reach me at jef1949@yahoo.com.
My wife and I just started cruising, and I think I would love to go out of charleston but I don't see them doing any type of Caribbean cruises yet. Maybe someday..
Thanks for the memories and the info...

A really great place to live... The coast is almost like another state. My parents and other family members live inland around Columbia and in the country... you may as well have taken a cruise to another world. The differences are startling. If looking for a job you should look at craigslist:
http://charleston.craigslist.org/
Sullivan's Island has a Fort that employees Park Rangers... heck there is a Park almost anywhere you turn... and as for Hospitality - now is the high season and everyone is hiring.

NextOne
May 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Just fyi - NCL Majesty will sail out of Charleston to the Bahamas later this fall and winter and in the fall of 2009. She used to go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but they changed the route for her last two seasons with NCL.

cruisin'4ever
May 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Help.. we are planning on sightseeing in Charleston before we have to get on the cruise. This will be our first time ever there. I've read many of the posts to find out some ideas but need help with figuring out the route to take. Sounds like rainbow row and the battery would be neat. Could someone help me plan. We will be on foot.. so what roads should we walk down and what things should not be missed??

bobsfamily
May 18th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Help.. we are planning on sightseeing in Charleston before we have to get on the cruise. This will be our first time ever there. I've read many of the posts to find out some ideas but need help with figuring out the route to take. Sounds like rainbow row and the battery would be neat. Could someone help me plan. We will be on foot.. so what roads should we walk down and what things should not be missed??

Where are you staying the night before? What date does you cruise leave?
If within the next two weeks (May 24th or 31st) you will be in town during Spoleto... A very busy time downtown. As for walking - well if you to the market street area and take a horse drawn carriage ride you will get historical info and see all or most of the sites you want... and save the hoofers!

christineann
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
The Fort Sumter tour (by boat) is great - a harbor tour is included. If you like old houses, the Nathaniel Russell House and Aiken Rhett House are very good. Check the link below for a variety of tours. We like the ghost tours.

http://www.spiritlinecruises.com/sumter_overview.asp

http://www.charlestontours.net/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=1057

have a great time!

bobsfamily
May 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
This will give you maps of downtown:
http://www.sciway.net/maps/charleston-sc-maps.html
Hope it helps. Make sure to do the carriage rides downtown.

cruisin'4ever
May 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
THANKS for the info. We will be dropped off by our hotel shuttle on May 31 at the pier so we want to explore that morning. Our ship doesn't leave until 7pm. Is walking to the battery far? If so, what means of transportation do you take there since we don't have a car? I read on the boards here something about waterfront park and the residential historic district?? is that interesting and what road is the residential historic district on? I've heard of "rainbow row" but what exactly is it and what is it?? Thanks again...

bobsfamily
May 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM
THANKS for the info. We will be dropped off by our hotel shuttle on May 31 at the pier so we want to explore that morning. Our ship doesn't leave until 7pm. Is walking to the battery far? If so, what means of transportation do you take there since we don't have a car? I read on the boards here something about waterfront park and the residential historic district?? is that interesting and what road is the residential historic district on? I've heard of "rainbow row" but what exactly is it and what is it?? Thanks again...

Don't go to early... Spoleto will be in full swing and you will see all kinds of stuff around the city. What are you going to do with you luggage? Check it in if you can. I'm not sure where you would store it. Go to Market Street and catch a carriage ride for a tour of the city. They will take you by Rainbow row and historic houses downtown. A few comments up I provided a link to a map of downtown. The battery park is a mile or so away and is a nice walk.. great views. It is also call Oyster Park because that is where the people who lived in the city threw the oyster shells which ended up being a "landfill".
The waterfront park is near Market St. and the port pier. There is a fountain that is made to run thru the water and you most likely will see some youngsters - and oldsters - playing in it if the temp is high. Another fountain is shaped like a pineapple.

Have a great time. Check out this: http://www.spoletousa.org/

cruisin'4ever
May 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
how do you exactly get to fort hamilton from st. george?

bobsfamily
May 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM
how do you exactly get to fort hamilton from st. george?

I'm not sure what you mean? Maybe this is in Bermuda?

cruisin'4ever
May 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
SORRY that should of been for the bermuda boards, oops:rolleyes:

bobsfamily
May 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
SORRY that should of been for the bermuda boards, oops:rolleyes:

No problem... just had never heard of it in Charleston.

NextOne
June 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on what to do in Charleston. DH & I had dinner at Coast Bar & Grill - thought it was marvelous! Later that evening we took the Bulldog ghost/cemetary tour and had a blast! Appropriately spooky!
As we were warned, Charleston was crowded because of the Spoleto festival, so we were glad we could leave the car parked at the Renaissance Hotel and roam around on foot. Lots to see!

bobsfamily
June 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on what to do in Charleston. DH & I had dinner at Coast Bar & Grill - thought it was marvelous! Later that evening we took the Bulldog ghost/cemetary tour and had a blast! Appropriately spooky!
As we were warned, Charleston was crowded because of the Spoleto festival, so we were glad we could leave the car parked at the Renaissance Hotel and roam around on foot. Lots to see!

Glad you had a great time. The downtown area holds a lot for tourists... a fact that seems to pass us locals by. I seem to go downtown only when someone comes to visit.

brown_eyed_poet
June 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
My husband and I Love to visit Charleston. My favorite thing to do is to just walk thru the historic district and take pictures....especially when flowers are in bloom! I have posted this somewhere else but Ill advise again....Dont stay at the Hilton! My husband tried to surprise me with a weekend at the 'luxourous' Hilton. I have stayed in better Budget Inns. There were stains on the floor, our "balcony" consisted of opening a big window to bars across the window. Definately not worth the Price.

Our favorite restraunt was Josephs. Im not sure which street it was on. It was kind of a little hole-in-the wall place but the food was WONDERFUL. We stopped in for lunch. Their menu sounds normal enough but they just cook it different. Im not a soup person but you have to try ther tomatoe basil soup.Sooooo good. Great Reubans too!

Charleston is so beautiful. I cant wait to return.

I do have one question.....my sister-in-law is thinking about getting married in Charleston.....shes actually their now checking out some places. Do you have any advise on a place to have the wedding, good caterers, rentals.....any wedding advise about Charleston would be great.

Thanks!

bobsfamily
June 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I do have one question.....my sister-in-law is thinking about getting married in Charleston.....shes actually their now checking out some places. Do you have any advise on a place to have the wedding, good caterers, rentals.....any wedding advise about Charleston would be great.

Thanks!

Many people have the actual wedding on one of our fine beaches and use a hall nearby to have the reception. I belong to VFW post 3137 "the post on the coast" and we regularly have people rent our downstairs (we are beachfront) to hold the reception and go right in front of the post and hold the wedding oceanfront to the sounds of the beach.... we had one recently that had around 100 guests - it was formal with tuxs/gowns/etc. They did the wedding and then commenced to "throw down" and were in swimsuits about an hour later!
Churches downtown will book fast for the May-June dates... so be aware.
Hope they have a lovely wedding and find the perfect site.
PS - if staying downtown have them splurge and stay at the Charleston Place Club level - make sure it's the Club level... worth the money as food and drinks are basically free.
I know a local wedding planner if you need one: email - rentabob@bellsouth.net
Bob

MP2271
June 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Charleston is so beautiful. I cant wait to return.

Thanks!

From experience (my best friend's) I can tell you that downtown stuff books up a year or more ahead of time usually...and I can also recommend that you NOT use the Francis Marion Hotel....She had her reception there & it was not worth the money...they had told her she was the only wedding there that day & that we could do photos in the lobby, but when time came, we were run out of the lobby because they had 2 other weddings there, one of which was taking over the lobby area. They also had a cash bar, but FM tried to charge them the open bar fee (which if she had not been paying close attention, she would not have caught). Then, when taking the gifts to the car, FM removed all cards from gifts so they had no idea who gave what. We were supposed to have the room until 11 (reception was supposed to end at 10) but they began tearing down and turned up the lights before 10. Teh food wasn't all that great...some of the quiches tasted like dish detergent....and though there was lots of food left, it was taken up early & the only way they got any of it was because the best man went & grabbed what he could. They were told to have people to cut the cake or else they'd have to pay for that...well, they lined folks up & then FM chunked the cake (no slices, but big hunks), wasting a lot of it, and charged them for it. It was a fiasco.

If she wanted something at a plantation type place, I can recommend Old Wide Awake Plantation...they've moved the house so it's not on the river any more, but they also made the house nicer when they moved, so it's better for a reception. Reese Witherspoon got married there. They are very accomodating and having been involved in several weddings/receptions there (before & after the house was moved) I can highly recommend it.

http://www.oldwideawakeplantation.com/

As for catering, I know that Hamby's is wonderful.

http://hambycatering.com/

So, good luck, and hope this helps!

bobsfamily
June 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Do book early - realize that all people cannot be happy and what happens to one may not happen to others.... also are you going on a cruise?

brown_eyed_poet
June 16th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Thank you so much for replying. I sent this info to my sister-in-law. She just returned and is trying to decide between two places. I cant remember where.

Yes, I am going on my first cruise with my hubby in September on Carnival Glory leaving out of Port Canaveral. We are so excited and I am absolutely ADDICTED to these message boards. Im the sort of person who likes to know what to expect before I get there. We will be celebrating our 4 year wedding anniversary. We have had so much happen over the years and havent been on a real vacation since our honeymoon so we are really excited!

bobsfamily
June 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Thank you so much for replying. I sent this info to my sister-in-law. She just returned and is trying to decide between two places. I cant remember where.

Yes, I am going on my first cruise with my hubby in September on Carnival Glory leaving out of Port Canaveral. We are so excited and I am absolutely ADDICTED to these message boards. Im the sort of person who likes to know what to expect before I get there. We will be celebrating our 4 year wedding anniversary. We have had so much happen over the years and havent been on a real vacation since our honeymoon so we are really excited!

Email me with what she has picked and I will ask my Wedding Planner friend if it holds any potholes or mishaps. Address is in above post.

cbell94
June 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
We are taking a driving vacation this summer (no cruise unfortunately:( ) and will be staying in Charleston for 2 or 3 days. We are a family of five and have decided that we want to see the Yorkville, Fort Sumter and do a plantation tour. With that itinerary do you recommend we stay on Mt. Pleasant or downtown? Do you have any specific hotels you would recommend? We are a family of five looking for a moderately priced hotel. Also if you had to pick one plantation tour, which one would it be? Thanks in advance!

bobsfamily
June 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM
We are taking a driving vacation this summer (no cruise unfortunately:( ) and will be staying in Charleston for 2 or 3 days. We are a family of five and have decided that we want to see the Yorkville, Fort Sumter and do a plantation tour. With that itinerary do you recommend we stay on Mt. Pleasant or downtown? Do you have any specific hotels you would recommend? We are a family of five looking for a moderately priced hotel. Also if you had to pick one plantation tour, which one would it be? Thanks in advance!

Sorry about no cruise... I think you mean the "Yorktown" as in USS Yorktown aircraft carrier at the Patriot's Point Museum: http://www.patriotspoint.org/

It is the same place you would get on the ferry to Fort Sumter: http://www.fortsumtertours.com/sumter_overview.asp

Middleton Plantation is one of the more well known: http://www.middletonplace.org/

I would recommend staying at least one night downtown and doing a carriage ride/ghost walk tour: http://www.ghostwalk.net/

Look back in this thread and you will see plenty on hotels.
Have a great time.

Rob & Beckys mom
June 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all your help. We ended up having a great lunch at Fleet Landing right near the port. I highly recommend it for sunday brunch.

Jan

bobsfamily
June 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all your help. We ended up having a great lunch at Fleet Landing right near the port. I highly recommend it for sunday brunch.

Jan

That is a great place to eat. Did you know the history of that building? It used to be the place sailors had to go thru prior to be "liberty" in downtown Charleston. They would have to go thru the building making sure they had no demerits or things that would not let them be on liberty. There was a "pokey" or jail to hold the ones who got in trouble. It was the place all sailors went thru.
Therefore it's name "Fleet Landing".
Glad you had a good time.

biomedbob
July 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm following this thread because we will be cruising from Charleston at the end of November. We've never been there and airline fares are out of sight, so we will end up driving.

Have not figured out driving and staying out of town to park at the port, or driving to stay in town, leaving car at hotel, and taking taxi/shuttle.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

bobsfamily
July 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm following this thread because we will be cruising from Charleston at the end of November. We've never been there and airline fares are out of sight, so we will end up driving.

Have not figured out driving and staying out of town to park at the port, or driving to stay in town, leaving car at hotel, and taking taxi/shuttle.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

There are many people that want to leave their car at a hotel and then be "shuttled" to the pier. I personally have found that I like my car at the pier and am willing to pay for it. When it's time to go home I don't have to rely on someone getting me and then packing luggage twice. Give me my car and let the family go to sleep while I head home.
Having said that if you read back there are hotels that provide the service.

I would not stay in North Charleston/Goose Creek/Summerville/West Ashley.

I would stay Downtown Charleston and Mt. Pleasant. The beauty of staying Downtown is all the stuff in walking distance.

If you have specific questions email me: rentabob@bellsouth.net
Bob

hndmn4wf
July 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hi, I Don't Know If This Has Been Asked But We Were Coming In For A Week B4 Our Cruise And Wanted To Stay On Or Very Close To A Beach Not Far From Charleston.
Are There Any Best Westerns I Could Stay Around All Of This Or Any Other Suggestions Of Where To Stay By/on Beach?

Thanks

njtom
July 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
we stayed at the hotel below (homewod suites) in mt. pleasant foe 2 days..it's a new place and down the road from some nice beachers.........

http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/CHSHWHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Charleston-Mt-Pleasant-South-Carolina/index.do (http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/CHSHWHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Charleston-Mt-Pleasant-South-Carolina/index.do)

bobsfamily
July 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hi, I Don't Know If This Has Been Asked But We Were Coming In For A Week B4 Our Cruise And Wanted To Stay On Or Very Close To A Beach Not Far From Charleston.
Are There Any Best Westerns I Could Stay Around All Of This Or Any Other Suggestions Of Where To Stay By/on Beach?

Thanks

There are several beaches around Downtown Charleston... none downtown.
All Beaches are on Barrier islands that are off the coast. These beaches below have roads/bridges to them.
Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach and further away Kiawah and Seabrook Island.
Isle of Palms has several hotels oceanfront and a large private retreat called Wild Dunes. see website: http://www.iop.net/Community/Lodging.aspx?section=visitors
and:
http://www.wilddunes.com/
Sullivan's Island has no hotels an only a few houses for short term rentals... all are for a week or more.
Folly beach has a Holiday Inn oceanfront and other hotels/motels: http://www.follybeach.com/

Kiawah and Seabrook are private islands and have retreats on them: http://www.kiawahresort.com/

Hope this helps.

bobsfamily
August 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
bump for new departures out of Charleston

gkrnjlr
August 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Bobsfamily -

Hey there neighbor! I am in Charleston, too.
I have to say.....You have given some EXCELLENT recommendations!

bobsfamily
August 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Bobsfamily -

Hey there neighbor! I am in Charleston, too.
I have to say.....You have given some EXCELLENT recommendations!

Thanks, I just bumped this thread because NCL will be leaving from Charleston soon. I hope the info has helped.

gkrnjlr
August 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM
The Majesty pulls in every weekend....doesn't it?
I've only been downtown when the Victory was here, but would LOVE to sail the Majesty.

It's nice to have locals help with information for the port here!

chucknmarilyn
September 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
We will be there for a day of Grandeur of the Seas and I'm looking at different tour companies. I think we want a carriage ride and a harbor tour. I just wondered if you have suggestions as to the best one. Prices are pretty much the same.

I notice a spot that says "city market" and wonder what all might be there. We will be in port on a Saturday and that is when many city markets are open.

gkrnjlr
September 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
You won't have any trouble finding a carriage tour on a Saturday. The port is VERY close to the market where the carriage tours have their carriages lined up. You'll also find little "stands" anywhere you walk in the area.

We actually booked a carriage tour for our family/guests that attended our wedding. We used Palmetto Carriage Tour company and everyone really enjoyed it. I did find this link for you online to request coupons: http://www.touristpack.com/coupons.cfm
They are coupons for several things in Charleston - so maybe it'll help with other things, too.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Charleston!

BlueHerons
September 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM
We will be there for a day of Grandeur of the Seas and I'm looking at different tour companies. I think we want a carriage ride and a harbor tour. I just wondered if you have suggestions as to the best one. Prices are pretty much the same.

I notice a spot that says "city market" and wonder what all might be there. We will be in port on a Saturday and that is when many city markets are open.

The Market is open seven days a week. Local artisans, crafts, t-shirts, food, and many things unique to Charleston.

Take the tour of Fort Sumter. It is offered by the state of SC because the park is a state park. Very reasonable.

As far as carriage tours, the routes are by lottery so it doesn't matter which one you pick. All of them are interesting.

bobsfamily
September 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Good info! The pier used for cruise ships is right downtown and is a short walk to many tourist spots. Charleston is a "destination place" and has tourists year round so everything stays open. You will find it easy to shop/eat/drink and see the sights. Have a great time and come back some time and stay!

chucknmarilyn
September 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the information. I think we'll just wait to find something when we get there since there seem to be lots of options. We do want to do a harbor tour and visit Fort Sumter as well a carriage ride to learn a bit of history. If it isn't a nice day (and surely it will be!) we may book one of the bus tours instead of the carriage. A visit to the market seems good as well as a stop for some dessert at the recommended place. I have to look back and get the name.

I've read several books set in Charleston such as Sullivan's Island. Will I see some of there spots on the harbor cruise?

BlueHerons
September 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the information. I think we'll just wait to find something when we get there since there seem to be lots of options. We do want to do a harbor tour and visit Fort Sumter as well a carriage ride to learn a bit of history. If it isn't a nice day (and surely it will be!) we may book one of the bus tours instead of the carriage. A visit to the market seems good as well as a stop for some dessert at the recommended place. I have to look back and get the name.

I've read several books set in Charleston such as Sullivan's Island. Will I see some of there spots on the harbor cruise?

Yes, you'll see Fort Multie from the boat.

I don't know of any bus tour and I certainly would not take one. Charleston is to be seen open air and I don't think a bus would do it justice. Plus a bus would not be able to go down some of the narrow and more charming streets. Chances of the weather not cooperating are slim to none. Winter is balmy in Charleston.

Sullivan's Island is a charming book but the reality isn't the book. Sullivans Island is one of my favorite places anywhere but it is super expensive. Houses on the island start at 1.2 million and oceanfront is upwards of $3-$5 million and the houses are HUGE. Most of it was rebuilt after Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and Dorothy Frank's old beach houses are a sweet little memory. People like Pat Conroy and Bill Murray live on Sullivans.

I highly suggest a drive out on the island and eating a burger at Poes is a must.

bobsfamily
September 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM
There are several "bus" tours that will take you to a plantation and thru parts of downtown. They are not great compared to a carriage ride but would do if the weather does not cooperate. When are you going to be here?

I live on the island next Sullivan's (Isle of Palms) and there are still pockets of old houses on both islands. Sullivan's Island started restricting "growth" about 6 years ago and although houses are still torn down to build much bigger ones it is less than it was. You can still ride around the island and see old beach "shacks" --- although they still go for over a million!

Whatever you do take the tour to Ft. Sumter and if you get a chance get dropped off at Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant and go thru the aircraft carrier and other exhibits. Take the boat ferry back to downtown and it will drop you off close to your ship.

Annieeee
September 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
HI,

We are on the Grandeur of the Seas for the 10/30/08 sailing and will be in Charleston on 11/01/08. I would like to take a guided tour, if available, to one of the plantations. I googled for some info and there are some tours that leave from the Visitor's Center. Can anyaone tell me if the Visitor's Center is close to where the ship will dock? Also, can anyone tell me if one plantation tour is better than another? And of course, food! As if we don't get enough food on the ship, where would be a nice place to eat? We are in port from 7 AM until 9 PM/

Thanks if advance for your replies.

Annieeee

bobsfamily
September 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
HI,

We are on the Grandeur of the Seas for the 10/30/08 sailing and will be in Charleston on 11/01/08. I would like to take a guided tour, if available, to one of the plantations. I googled for some info and there are some tours that leave from the Visitor's Center. Can anyaone tell me if the Visitor's Center is close to where the ship will dock? Also, can anyone tell me if one plantation tour is better than another? And of course, food! As if we don't get enough food on the ship, where would be a nice place to eat? We are in port from 7 AM until 9 PM/

Thanks if advance for your replies.

Annieeee

Try this for comments:
http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/sc/plantations.htm

The visitor center is walkable but is about a mile. Some tours will pick up at hotels so you could find one nearer to the port and get picked up there.

Many great eateries downtown... I believe that the above website will give you some good info.

Have a great time. Google earth can help also.

gkrnjlr
September 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Here's another great location to help pick a place to eat in Charleston. There are so many good choices here!

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/11

CRUSINGFAMILY
September 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hi

Can anyone give me their personal preference on plantation tours?

I have read about many of them but cannot decide on which one to go with

Thanks!

bobsfamily
September 29th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Having lived in the lowcountry for 20+ years I say that all are good and will give you a sense of that time period. Each has it's own charm. Magnolia's is great for the gardens and river views.
Boone hall in Mt. Pleasant is good and is privately owned. Boone Hall Farms are located in the Town of Mt. Pleasant and is a real working farm. Good produce!

It really is up to what you want to see and I believe that any one would give you the "spirit".

I must admit it has been several years since I have done any of the tours (with exception of Boone Hall) so no first hand experience of late.... but they don't change much!

BlueHerons
September 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I must admit it has been several years since I have done any of the tours (with exception of Boone Hall) so no first hand experience of late.... but they don't change much!

LOL! We don't do them either with the exception of the oyster festival at Boone Hall. I can trace my family back generations in Charleston if that tells you what a low country girl I am!

bobsfamily
September 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM
LOL! We don't do them either with the exception of the oyster festival at Boone Hall. I can trace my family back generations in Charleston if that tells you what a low country girl I am!

My wife's family go back in Rock Hill and Charleston many generations (revolutionary war) and my children are born here... I'm the one "from off" - lol
My family is mostly from Riedsville NC and go back past the War of Northern aggression. I was (am) an AF brat and went in myself.

tomatopa
October 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
We will be in Charleston in a month off a cruise ship ...just for the day.

My husband would like to go to Patriots point and I would like to do the carriage ride....we are in port from 7-8...a late leave.....
How would you suggest doing this? what is the best way to get to Patriots Point from the cruise ship terminal?

How far to to catch a carriage ride?

And costs????

Thanks, ton, Judy

bobsfamily
October 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
We will be in Charleston in a month off a cruise ship ...just for the day.

My husband would like to go to Patriots point and I would like to do the carriage ride....we are in port from 7-8...a late leave.....
How would you suggest doing this? what is the best way to get to Patriots Point from the cruise ship terminal?

How far to to catch a carriage ride?

And costs????

Thanks, ton, Judy

There is a ferry that leaves from downtown that goes over to Patriot's point. It leaves on the hour. You will have plenty of time to do the carriage ride and Patriot's. In fact you might want to check with whoever you buy tickets from for the carriage ride and see if they have a package. You could do Fort Sumter also.

Have a great time.

brnsofia
October 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
question- I have booked at the holiday inn riverview. is this far from everything? we plan on doing the carriage rides and some shopping on one day. is it far from that area? they say they have a shuttle that has 2 mi radius. is the pier within the 2 mile radius??
thanks

gkrnjlr
October 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The Holiday Inn Riverview is not within walking distance of anything. Well - other than a Waffle House. The two mile radius shuttle is good though....but that's not going to take you to the historic district.

brnsofia
October 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
The Holiday Inn Riverview is not within walking distance of anything. Well - other than a Waffle House. The two mile radius shuttle is good though....but that's not going to take you to the historic district.

ahhhh now I am going crazy. I have re read all the posts here and I am more confused then ever. I have made 2 reservations now and may have to cancel the holiday inn also--- I need some place to stay and leave the car for free would be nice. then take the hotels shuttle to the pier and back after the cruise is over HAS ANYONE FOUND A PLACE LIKE THIS???? heeeelllllppppp!:cool: :(

gkrnjlr
October 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe a few other Charleston dwellers will pipe in here - but if you're looking for something within walking distance to everything downtown, etc., then this hotel isn't the one. There is a shuttle but I'd call and ask the hotel directly if they take you to the historic/market area. If they do - that's great, but you'll have to take the shuttle to and from. OR just simply drive down. You could park in the parking garage and spend the day down there.

If you're looking for a Park and Cruise hotel - I have heard that the Embassy in North Charleston offers this and I think that the Quality Inn and Suites in North Charleston also offers it. Of course you won't be near the historic district.

Its all in what you're wanting to do pre or post cruise. Are you wanting to find a hotel that is close to everything so you can see the sights the day before cruise? Or are you simply looking for a safe hotel on a budget that offers a park and cruise package?

Don't give up on the Holiday Inn Riverview (its also called "The Round Holiday Inn) though. Its just not right there within walking distance to everything.

~~~~~~~~
In searching things I did find this thread that might be helpful - if you haven't seen it already:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=649604

As for the airport area hotels that are mentioned....the Embassy Suites is in a safe place. There's also a brand new hotel that just opened and it's called Aloft. These hotels are both very close to the Tanger Outlet Mall, Walmart, etc.

brnsofia
October 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
thank you very much. we were looking for a hotel that we might leave the car at EVEN tho we wouldnt be staying there until after the cruise. I was going to try to talk them into that but if they said yes then we would park there for free or cheap and have to get to and from the pier for the cruise. and would like one that has a shuttle to down town also. I will call the holiday inn tomorrow and check with them before canceling. thanks for the info. I just dont want to spend a fortune for parking or the hotel! also they were saying north charleston wasnt safe.?

gkrnjlr
October 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM
You're welcome.

As for North Charleston being safe. Parts of it are not. It all depends on which hotel you were to choose. There are some good ones in safe areas. The Embassy is safe. There's also a Hilton Garden Inn just down the road from the Embassy that is safe. I don't know if they provide transportation though.

catlady461
October 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
We will be arriving in Charleston on Nov 15th on the Norwegian Majesty.
We are taking Amtrak home and the train doesn't leave until 9:48 PM.
Wondering how from the pier is the Amtrak station and if there is anything within walking distance we could do.
Also is there luggage storage at the Amtrak station.
Would really appreciate any advice on what is available to do.
Thanks

bobsfamily
October 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Wondering how from the pier is the Amtrak station and if there is anything within walking distance we could do.
Thanks

I have taken Amtrak several times going places from Charleston.... it's an experience! The waiting room looks like a bus stop from the 50's. The area surrounding it is industrial and looks it. The train may be there are 9:48 or it may be 1 am. I love the train but Charleston's train stop is one of the worst I've ever been at for location. Do not go early and expect to wait. They do have lockers but if you are thinking you could be dropped off from the cruise and then wander around you are sadly mistaken. The station is about 10 or so miles but more like a 20 min. taxi ride. I suppose you could go up by taxi, check in your luggage and then go back downtown for the day. I would consider getting a room for the day, storing your luggage and doing the tourist thing downtown. Make sure you call for arrival time before going up. Last time we took the train we were told it was an hour late... we got there and it turned into 3 hours but I would still travel with Amtrak... once on the train it's a great experience.

bobsfamily
October 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
ahhhh now I am going crazy. I have re read all the posts here and I am more confused then ever. I have made 2 reservations now and may have to cancel the holiday inn also--- I need some place to stay and leave the car for free would be nice. then take the hotels shuttle to the pier and back after the cruise is over HAS ANYONE FOUND A PLACE LIKE THIS???? heeeelllllppppp!:cool: :(

The Holiday Inn is a nice place but it is in the middle of a divided road leading to downtown Charleston and out. It is part of what people call the "crosstown" and has wonderful views. If staying make sure you eat at the "top" I was supposed to be one of the rotating places but it went around once, got stuck (one person said it was the salt water) and has never moved since. I have also heard that it made the building tilt and so it was never turned on again.
I do believe their shuttle will take you downtown but a taxi would only be $5 or so... you could walk it, it would just be thru some funky areas and it is at least 2-3 miles away.

As for North Charleston.... well stay away. Not saying that the hotels mention are not bad... they are fine. It's just that if you don't know anything about the area you could find yourself in some unsavory places very quickly. If looking downtown for a place realize that being downtown will cost more and you may have to park at the pier BUT you will be in the center of everything and will not have to take taxi's or pay to park that day. It all depends on what you want.

catlady461
October 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I have taken Amtrak several times going places from Charleston.... it's an experience! The waiting room looks like a bus stop from the 50's. The area surrounding it is industrial and looks it. The train may be there are 9:48 or it may be 1 am. I love the train but Charleston's train stop is one of the worst I've ever been at for location. Do not go early and expect to wait. They do have lockers but if you are thinking you could be dropped off from the cruise and then wander around you are sadly mistaken. The station is about 10 or so miles but more like a 20 min. taxi ride. I suppose you could go up by taxi, check in your luggage and then go back downtown for the day. I would consider getting a room for the day, storing your luggage and doing the tourist thing downtown. Make sure you call for arrival time before going up. Last time we took the train we were told it was an hour late... we got there and it turned into 3 hours but I would still travel with Amtrak... once on the train it's a great experience.

I emailed primetimecharleston.com for a car to take us from the pier to the Amtrak station. The cost was only $35 so I thought was worth it since a taxi would have been $25. Guess I could change the time and from where we want to leave.
Wondering if there is any baggage storage at the pier and anything within walking distance there. We could leave our luggage at the pier and then come back to pick it up before we went to the Amtrak station.
Also do you know of any hotels we could reserve just for the day to leave our luggage and then do some sightseeing. How far from pier to downtown?
Just hope the train isn't too late we are going into Washington DC and catching a train there at 4:00 PM into Cleveland OH.
Thanks for your help.

brnsofia
October 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
ok I called the holiday inn riverview and the shuttle goes to the pier and historic downtown and even tho we are only staying after the cruise at the hotel we can still park our car for free precruise and take the shuttle to and from the pier-yea!! saved some money! always like that

Dive Master
October 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I emailed primetimecharleston.com for a car to take us from the pier to the Amtrak station. The cost was only $35 so I thought was worth it since a taxi would have been $25. Guess I could change the time and from where we want to leave.
Wondering if there is any baggage storage at the pier and anything within walking distance there. We could leave our luggage at the pier and then come back to pick it up before we went to the Amtrak station.
Also do you know of any hotels we could reserve just for the day to leave our luggage and then do some sightseeing. How far from pier to downtown?
Just hope the train isn't too late we are going into Washington DC and catching a train there at 4:00 PM into Cleveland OH.
Thanks for your help.

I will try to help.The cruise ship pier is pretty small and I don't know of any lockers there.With post 9-11 security issues I doubt if they want luggage laying around. Hotel rooms are not cheap in downtown.A day room is a good idea but plan on $175.00 per night minimum for a room. My suggestions is to call one of the carriage tour compainies (Palmetto Carriage, Olde South, etc)book a tour, and inquire about leaving your luggage at their office for the day (think it would be safe but I would not leave expensive valuables in the luggage).You could also check with some of the large local hotels with "bell man" service such as Market Pavillion,Doubletree Suites, French Quarter Inn, or Charleston Place.I bet the bell captain could help you out for a nice tip.

The ship docks 2-3 blocks from the Market in historic Charleston. You can find everything you need in the Market area--tours, dining, shopping and the above mentioned hotels.Everything is walkable and safe.A cab ride for you and your luggage should be pretty cheap since it is only a few blocks.You should definitely plan on spending your day in the "Holy City".Take a carriage tour,eat some great seafood (Hymans, and 82 Queen are fantastic)shop in the Market, tour the churches and museum homes.Walk down beautiful and historic Church Steet to the Battery.Stroll back up East Bay Steet by world famous Rainbow Row and then out to Waterfront Park to watch the Majesty sail away at 400 pm--we are on the 11/15/08 sailing so we will wave goodbye to you.You would probably have time for any early dinner and then make your train.Have a great cruise and keep the ship clean for us.
Hope this helps.

OkieCruisers
October 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Dive Master
You have been so helpful on Charleston information. Can you tell me how far the Best Western Down Town historical area hotel is going to be from the Market area? it is located at 250 Spring Street. We want to be able to walk to every thing. I was just hoping I could use up some of my points on a room there.
Thanks Glynna

Dive Master
October 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hey Dive Master
You have been so helpful on Charleston information. Can you tell me how far the Best Western Down Town historical area hotel is going to be from the Market area? it is located at 250 Spring Street. We want to be able to walk to every thing. I was just hoping I could use up some of my points on a room there.
Thanks Glynna

Spring Street is up near the Medical University and a good ways from the Market.It would be a long walk and some of the areas may be a little unsavory.I am sure the area around the hotel is very safe. I just don't think I would want to walk that far espescially after dark.If you are looking for a Best Western, try the King Charles Inn on Meeting Street.I am sure it would cost more but you would only be a block or two from the Market in a very tourist oriented area.The Best Western on Spring Street may offer a shuttle van service . Many hotels do.I also imagine a cab would be inexpensive as it is only a few miles to the Market.I have never felt nervous or unsafe walking in any areas south of Calhoun Street at any hour of the day.Go north of the visitors center and I would want my 38-special in my back pocket!!!!

Glynna, Did you mention that you were a scuba diver ???? I am addicted to nitrogen !!!!!

OkieCruisers
October 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Dive Master
Thanks for the information I needed before booking that hotel and being sorry. Just trying to save on the trip where I can. I hate to get away from the Charleston subject but yes, I just took up scuba diving a year ago last April. Since then I have spent 2 weeks in Cozumel and 1 week at Key Largo diving but only have 30 some dives under my belt. It has been about 2 years since I last cruised after I took up this diving and they say it can become addictive and I can now understand why. But right now just want to get back on a ship. But I just have the feeling once we get to the ports like Nassau, Aruba, St, Thomas & Cuacao we will wish we would have just paid the extra baggage charge with the airlines and took our dive gear. right now, we only plan to dive at Curacao and just rent the gear there. What can you tell me about any of this? I wish you would just take an extra 2 weeks off and just head to Philly and get on the Majesty there with us. Again, thanks for all of your great informaton you post on Charleston.
Glynna

OkieCruisers
October 15th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hi Dive Master
You were so right on the King Charles Inn for location but darn it, it is all booked up for that Saturday night. Do you know of any other hotels around the market area that I might be able to use my choice privileges, priority club or Best Western points on? Thanks so much, Glynna

Dive Master
October 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Glynna,

I can't think of any other Choice Hotels in the Market area. Most of the lodging in that area are small historic inns and hotels.There is a Doubletree Suites in the middle of the Market.The Embassy Suites is in the old original The Citadel building at Marion Square.The Mills House (Holiday Inn I think) is at the corner of Meeting and Queen a few blocks south of the Market.Charleston Place (Orient Express Hotel) is on Meeting Street but very pricey.If you really want to experience historic Charleston at your doorstep, you are probably going to have to pay up and book one of these or one of the small inns.Did you try Elliott House (800-729-1855) It is our favorite and they usually have some of the better rates downtown.I forgot about the Days Inn on Meeting Street.It is just a typical 2 story Days Inn but it is in a great location.Elliott House used to have a couple of twin bed rooms in the front of the inn and they may be available.Elliott House is "historic Charleston". The inn was built around 1861 and the courtyard is beautiful with a large jacuzzi.The rates include breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese.82 Queen (built around 1790) next door has great dining in the courtyard.

I wish I could get away and cruse with you guys at those rates but it is all I can do to afford one cruise---lost about 40 percent of our retirement last week !!!! I wish I could get to Cozumel for a week to dive.I have been there 4-5 times on ships and the diving is world class.Most of my diving is at the exotic Lake Jocassee but I have grown to love the lake.Check out the Lake Jocassee Graveyard Dive videos on You Tube.I just love diving the Mount Carmel Church Cemetery.It was made world famous in the movie "Deliverance"---yep we are a bunch of hillbillys!!!!

Joe

gkrnjlr
October 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Not to intrude here but - if you don't HAVE to be within walking distance to the market you could consider the Comfort Inn on Bee Street. I think that they even have the DASH that will take you to the market area.

It's a Choice hotel that's off of Lockwood and Spring.

Sorry! I'll butt out again now!
:)

OkieCruisers
October 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks Joe
But I am having no luck. The site says that the Elliott House is full that night and so is the Mills House. The Days Inn on Meeting St says it still has some rooms but I din't have enough points to get one free. Looks like it is $160, that is a pretty good price for this area I guess from what you are telling me. Should I go with that or do you have any other ideas? I hate to keep bugging you on this when I know you are getting ready for your own cruise.

gkrnjlr
Thanks a bunch for your input, I checked on that Comfort Inn and it seems to be full that night as well. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks to both of you as I try to deside on what to do.

Glynna

gkrnjlr
October 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
gkrnjlr
Thanks a bunch for your input, I checked on that Comfort Inn and it seems to be full that night as well. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks to both of you as I try to deside on what to do.

Glynna

You're welcome! What dates are you looking at the hotel for? Also, did you call the hotel directly and found out it is sold out? Or was it online? Sometimes they don't put their entire inventory on the internet.

Dive Master
October 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks Joe
But I am having no luck. The site says that the Elliott House is full that night and so is the Mills House. The Days Inn on Meeting St says it still has some rooms but I din't have enough points to get one free. Looks like it is $160, that is a pretty good price for this area I guess from what you are telling me. Should I go with that or do you have any other ideas? I hate to keep bugging you on this when I know you are getting ready for your own cruise.

gkrnjlr

Glynna

The Days Inn usually has some of the best rates in the Market area.It is just a typical 1970's two story Days Inn but it is in a great location and offers free parking.I have never stayed there but we do walk by it alot.It looks to be clean and well maintained.The Days Inn is on Meeting St. about two blocks south of the Market.It is only about 5 blocks from the cruise ship pier.Everything you would need is right there---shopping, dining. tours, etc.

bobsfamily
October 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Here is the link to Charleston place:
http://www.charlestonplace.com/web/ocha/ocha_a2a_home.jsp?c=usemail&p=CPHoffer&cr=home

Splurge a little and save somewhere else... it is well worth it and the service is unbeatable.

gkrnjlr
October 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
bobsfamily - I agree, the Charleston Place is a great place to stay!

If you aren't looking to stay within a certain budget, here's another great hotel that's right in the heart of everything.

http://www.marketpavilion.com/

OkieCruisers
October 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Well, I want to thank each one of you for all your help on this. I checked out all of the hotels that were suggested and most all of them were all booked up. I guess being there on a Saturday night was the reason why. I booked the Days Inn on Meeting St tonight. I will be there on November 15th for one night. I am just glad to have this search taken care of and I will report back to you on our stay there in a few weeks. Glynna

frostycruiser
October 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
We're sailing into Charleston next week and wondered if there are any stores in the port area.

BlueHerons
October 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I want to thank each one of you for all your help on this. I checked out all of the hotels that were suggested and most all of them were all booked up. I guess being there on a Saturday night was the reason why. I booked the Days Inn on Meeting St tonight. I will be there on November 15th for one night. I am just glad to have this search taken care of and I will report back to you on our stay there in a few weeks. Glynna

Did you check The Andrew Pinckney Inn? It is one of Charleston's better values for a great hotel in an excellent location.

Also check the Indigo Inn.

Thanks

Take your luggage to The Doubletree on the corner of Market and Church (the entrance is on Church). Tip the bellman $10 and he will watch your luggage. The have a large luggage check. It is a short walk from the pier.

gkrnjlr
October 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
We're sailing into Charleston next week and wondered if there are any stores in the port area.

Tons! You're within walking distance of the market area which has a lot of shopping and dining!

bobsfamily
January 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Bump for new people coming to Charleston.

bjdamascus
March 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Dear CukooBananas,
Thankyou for your offer to help answer any questions we have. I don't get to this list very often, so if you wouldn't mind responding to my request via my email at: bjdamascus@aol.com, I would appreciate it. DH and I will be arriving on April 11th via Amtrak at 5:00 a.m. (if the train is on time). We'll be sailing on NCL Majesty at 4:00 p.m. So, what we're looking for is a cheap place to crash for a few hours if the train is on time. If it's not - say it's delayed 5 or 6 hours, then we we just go right to the cruise port. In that case, we would (I imagine) just eat the hotel cost for the night. I know that you've said not to stay in N Charleston, but that's where the prices seem to be the cheapest... and ... if we ended up not needing a room, we would not lose so many $$. Do you have any suggestions? DH thinks we should just wing it- wait until we get there, then call hotels in the area to see if there's any availability. I really don't want to put out over $100 just to crash for some five to six hours, or not at all. We'd be taking a cab to the hotel, and to the cruise port. We'd also of course get breakfast somewhere in the morning. Again, if you wouldn't mind responding to me via my email, I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks!
Beth from the Windy City

bobsfamily
March 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Dear CukooBananas,
Thankyou for your offer to help answer any questions we have. I don't get to this list very often, so if you wouldn't mind responding to my request via my email at: bjdamascus@aol.com, I would appreciate it. DH and I will be arriving on April 11th via Amtrak at 5:00 a.m. (if the train is on time). We'll be sailing on NCL Majesty at 4:00 p.m. So, what we're looking for is a cheap place to crash for a few hours if the train is on time. If it's not - say it's delayed 5 or 6 hours, then we we just go right to the cruise port. In that case, we would (I imagine) just eat the hotel cost for the night. I know that you've said not to stay in N Charleston, but that's where the prices seem to be the cheapest... and ... if we ended up not needing a room, we would not lose so many $$. Do you have any suggestions? DH thinks we should just wing it- wait until we get there, then call hotels in the area to see if there's any availability. I really don't want to put out over $100 just to crash for some five to six hours, or not at all. We'd be taking a cab to the hotel, and to the cruise port. We'd also of course get breakfast somewhere in the morning. Again, if you wouldn't mind responding to me via my email, I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks!
Beth from the Windy City

I would still try a hotel downtown...
Check this out:
http://www.downtowncharlestonhotels.com/

gkrnjlr
March 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
I would still try a hotel downtown...
Check this out:
http://www.downtowncharlestonhotels.com/

I totally agree! I would NOT stay anywhere close to the train station at all.

BlueHerons
March 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Dear CukooBananas,
Thanks!
Beth from the Windy City

Beth, it is best to post the replies on the public forum so everyone can see them.

Agree, do not stay near the train station.

jschafer6161
March 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I don't want to hijack with boards with my questions so I would love to hear from someone who lives in Charleston/surrounding areas. We are very interested in moving out of Michigan. South Carolina/North Carolina interest us very much. I'd like to ask some questions about the area. Thank you so much in advance! My email is schafermom5@yahoo.com.

parentsof6
April 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
We stayed at the Radisson-airport last week for around $100. We left the car there but had to find our own transport to the pier ($20) plus breakfast at Mcdonalds across the street. All in all, not bad, but maybe could have done better. We just wanted to be out of the downtown area during the Run.

bobsfamily
April 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
We stayed at the Radisson-airport last week for around $100. We left the car there but had to find our own transport to the pier ($20) plus breakfast at Mcdonalds across the street. All in all, not bad, but maybe could have done better. We just wanted to be out of the downtown area during the Run.

Most likely a GREAT idea... it was PACKED! I would have stayed in Mt. Pleasant... but as long as it worked out great!
When we leave out of Charleston in May we will be leaving the car at home... and have out daughter take us downtown and pick us up.

parentsof6
April 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
decided not to stay in Mt Plesant beacuse we woild have had to go back across the bridge..

bobsfamily
April 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM
decided not to stay in Mt Plesant beacuse we woild have had to go back across the bridge..
You mean when you got off? Yeah, depending on the time that could have been bad...

W8ingNxtCrz
April 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have another question about hotels in Charleston so I thought I would ask the experts. I have been to Charleston once before for a cruise and stayed one night Embassy Suites, one night Renaissance. I loved both hotels. I will be there again mid-March for a cruise and have been checking rates for both of these hotels pre-cruise. Yes, they do seem a lot higher now than when I was there before (February '03). So, I just want to know what your choice would be between Renaissance for $178 or Embassy for $198 considering that Embassy offers the benefit of full breakfast and evening cocktails, etc. I have already booked the Doubletree post-cruise at $160. Any chance these rates will decrease in the future? Thanks for any help.:)
p.s. I will be traveling Amtrak---should I take a taxi or hire a car service?

BananaAnna
April 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Considering Best Western Patriot Point, Best Western Sweetgrass Inn or Inn at River Crossing for pre-cruise stay and leaving car for a week. Any pros or cons for these locations anyone can share? We'll be very late getting into town so really just need somewhere clean/safe to sleep till morning.
I'm kinda leaning toward Sweetgrass. Their rate is highest, but not by much.

bobsfamily
April 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have another question about hotels in Charleston so I thought I would ask the experts. I have been to Charleston once before for a cruise and stayed one night Embassy Suites, one night Renaissance. I loved both hotels. I will be there again mid-March for a cruise and have been checking rates for both of these hotels pre-cruise. Yes, they do seem a lot higher now than when I was there before (February '03). So, I just want to know what your choice would be between Renaissance for $178 or Embassy for $198 considering that Embassy offers the benefit of full breakfast and evening cocktails, etc. I have already booked the Doubletree post-cruise at $160. Any chance these rates will decrease in the future? Thanks for any help.:)
p.s. I will be traveling Amtrak---should I take a taxi or hire a car service?

I would stay at the Embassy Suites... and there really is not a car service in Charleston... just taxis.... well wait a second - YOU can "rent" a limo: http://www.charlestonlimos.com/rates.html The Amtrak station is in about the worst place it could be in... do not plan on staying there any longer than needed.... In fact I would book a car to pick you up.

bobsfamily
April 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Considering Best Western Patriot Point, Best Western Sweetgrass Inn or Inn at River Crossing for pre-cruise stay and leaving car for a week. Any pros or cons for these locations anyone can share? We'll be very late getting into town so really just need somewhere clean/safe to sleep till morning.
I'm kinda leaning toward Sweetgrass. Their rate is highest, but not by much.

I would recommend the Inn... free breakfast!

W8ingNxtCrz
April 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would stay at the Embassy Suites... and there really is not a car service in Charleston... just taxis.... well wait a second - YOU can "rent" a limo: http://www.charlestonlimos.com/rates.html The Amtrak station is in about the worst place it could be in... do not plan on staying there any longer than needed.... In fact I would book a car to pick you up.
Thanks so much, bobsfamily. Embassy Suites it will be. And I will check into those limo rates too. I appreciate the tips. Hope your weekend was good.:D

bobsfamily
April 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks so much, bobsfamily. Embassy Suites it will be. And I will check into those limo rates too. I appreciate the tips. Hope your weekend was good.:D
We have used Amtrak several times and love the train, but Charleston really needs to try and move the train station.... The area is industrial and the station sits on "active" commercial lines with bulk trains coming thru... One night (train was supposed to leave at 9pm and left close to midnight) we waited on the train and saw at least 3 really long trains going fast come thru the station... pretty amazing to be within 15 feet of a train going 20-30 miles an hours... kinda scary. Being from here it was not to bad, but coming in on the train I would hire a car to pick you up if it is early or late.
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=charleston+limo

What time does it arrive?

W8ingNxtCrz
April 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
We have used Amtrak several times and love the train, but Charleston really needs to try and move the train station.... The area is industrial and the station sits on "active" commercial lines with bulk trains coming thru... One night (train was supposed to leave at 9pm and left close to midnight) we waited on the train and saw at least 3 really long trains going fast come thru the station... pretty amazing to be within 15 feet of a train going 20-30 miles an hours... kinda scary. Being from here it was not to bad, but coming in on the train I would hire a car to pick you up if it is early or late.
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=charleston+limo

What time does it arrive?
Good Morning bobsfamily---I have not made the train reservation as yet (too soon), however if I do it is scheduled to arrive at 5:06AM. I do believe it will still be dark outside at that hour of the morning, and traveling alone I do not want to be standing around the station for too long. So I do believe that your advice of hiring a car for pick up would be the best thing to do. When I leave Charleston post cruise there is a 10-AM train so I do not think that would be too bad (do you agree). I rejected the idea of the 9:48PM train because of what you mentioned above (late train, etc.). Thanks again.

bobsfamily
April 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Good Morning bobsfamily---I have not made the train reservation as yet (too soon), however if I do it is scheduled to arrive at 5:06AM. I do believe it will still be dark outside at that hour of the morning, and traveling alone I do not want to be standing around the station for too long. So I do believe that your advice of hiring a car for pick up would be the best thing to do. When I leave Charleston post cruise there is a 10-AM train so I do not think that would be too bad (do you agree). I rejected the idea of the 9:48PM train because of what you mentioned above (late train, etc.). Thanks again.
I would do the 10 am as the evening ones seem to be late. Make sure before you leave the hotel that the train is on time... can be several hours late... not just Charleston, all stops. A cab would be fine going back, but with the early hours coming in you might want a car... having said that I'm sure the people at the station could get a cab.
Are you traveling in a room? If so the room steward can call ahead and request a cab. Love the train and luggage is easier than flying.

W8ingNxtCrz
April 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I would do the 10 am as the evening ones seem to be late. Make sure before you leave the hotel that the train is on time... can be several hours late... not just Charleston, all stops. A cab would be fine going back, but with the early hours coming in you might want a car... having said that I'm sure the people at the station could get a cab.
Are you traveling in a room? If so the room steward can call ahead and request a cab. Love the train and luggage is easier than flying.
Yes, bobsfamily, I will be in a room and never thought of having the steward confirm a cab for me. I, too, love the train--have done Amtrak many times. Fly on occasion only---just returned a week ago from a Tampa round trip flight and was wishing I had done the train--flight was during bad weather and not fun at all. Plus the airport hassles. Also, I will double check Amtrak from hotel before leaving. Thanks so much---your info and suggestions have been a great help. This is what I love about Cruise Critic. :D

bobsfamily
April 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, bobsfamily, I will be in a room and never thought of having the steward confirm a cab for me. I, too, love the train--have done Amtrak many times. Fly on occasion only---just returned a week ago from a Tampa round trip flight and was wishing I had done the train--flight was during bad weather and not fun at all. Plus the airport hassles. Also, I will double check Amtrak from hotel before leaving. Thanks so much---your info and suggestions have been a great help. This is what I love about Cruise Critic. :D
The first class service that comes with a room is great. We took the train to Orlando several years ago and had a family suite... when the train pulled up a steward got off and asked for the Hooper family, took our carry-ons, asked us what kind of drinks we would like in the room, brought us ice, and made sure we made it to breakfast/etc. He asked if we needed a cab, but since the hotel we were staying at had "free pickup" we declined... wished I had taken him up on it as it took almost 1 1/2 for the "free" to get there... lol

You are coming in 2010? The Charleston Bridge run is March 27th and will make the whole downtown area a nightmare, so if your return fall on that date just be aware.... or if leaving that day you might want to do the evening train to avoid trying to get out of downtown.

We are going on the Carnival Triumph May 25th from Charleston and are loving not having to travel before getting on the ship... our daughter will take us downtown and pick us up.

W8ingNxtCrz
April 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The first class service that comes with a room is great. We took the train to Orlando several years ago and had a family suite... when the train pulled up a steward got off and asked for the Hooper family, took our carry-ons, asked us what kind of drinks we would like in the room, brought us ice, and made sure we made it to breakfast/etc. He asked if we needed a cab, but since the hotel we were staying at had "free pickup" we declined... wished I had taken him up on it as it took almost 1 1/2 for the "free" to get there... lol

You are coming in 2010? The Charleston Bridge run is March 27th and will make the whole downtown area a nightmare, so if your return fall on that date just be aware.... or if leaving that day you might want to do the evening train to avoid trying to get out of downtown.

We are going on the Carnival Triumph May 25th from Charleston and are loving not having to travel before getting on the ship... our daughter will take us downtown and pick us up.
I do have to agree about the train. I love it. I notice more and more travelers going by train too. Always meet nice people, especially in the dining car.
I will be arriving in Charleston on 3/18/10, staying at Embassy. Hopping on Celebrity Mercury on the 19th for 10 nights, then staying D-Tree one night post cruise. That means I leave by Amtrak on the 30th. Will the 29th or 30th be a problem downtown? From what you say, I think that I will miss the Bridge run??
As for local cruises, I always take the Jewel of the Seas when she repositions in October from Boston to Florida. Love to just hop on the ship in Boston.
Have a wonderful cruise in May.

bobsfamily
April 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I do have to agree about the train. I love it. I notice more and more travelers going by train too. Always meet nice people, especially in the dining car.
I will be arriving in Charleston on 3/18/10, staying at Embassy. Hopping on Celebrity Mercury on the 19th for 10 nights, then staying D-Tree one night post cruise. That means I leave by Amtrak on the 30th. Will the 29th or 30th be a problem downtown? From what you say, I think that I will miss the Bridge run??
As for local cruises, I always take the Jewel of the Seas when she repositions in October from Boston to Florida. Love to just hop on the ship in Boston.
Have a wonderful cruise in May.

You should be OK on both start and finish. The Bridge run people will be gone by Sunday and you come in on Monday... I would check that price seeing as it is a Monday... I would check around and see who has a pick/delivery to the train station.

There is a runway model show going on but it should not impact you to much.... March 16-20th.
Thanks and you too!

jrmende63
April 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Bobsfamily,
I see that you are doing the exact cruise that we are doing only ours is in November of this year. I have a couple of questions that maybe after you come back you could answer. I have never left out of Charleston before ( although I live 15 min from IOP!) so I don't know how the dinner seating goes for the first night. I see that our ship leaves at 10 pm. And I am also wondering what time to board? I know that in Nov the Triumph does not get into Charleston until 3 pm and we leave at 10 pm. I am usually one that gets on board at 11:30 or 12:00 NOON, but this ship does not even come into our port until 3 pm. Thanks in Advance for any answers you can give me.
Julie and Randall Mendenhall

bobsfamily
April 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Bobsfamily,
I see that you are doing the exact cruise that we are doing only ours is in November of this year. I have a couple of questions that maybe after you come back you could answer. I have never left out of Charleston before ( although I live 15 min from IOP!) so I don't know how the dinner seating goes for the first night. I see that our ship leaves at 10 pm. And I am also wondering what time to board? I know that in Nov the Triumph does not get into Charleston until 3 pm and we leave at 10 pm. I am usually one that gets on board at 11:30 or 12:00 NOON, but this ship does not even come into our port until 3 pm. Thanks in Advance for any answers you can give me.
Julie and Randall Mendenhall
Hey Julie,
Well I had the same thoughts... and from what I understand the dining is normal... unless it's not.. lol. It seems that they plan on having normal dining except they may not depending on timing... Confused? So am I!

As for boarding this is my best guess... The ship gets here with no passengers on board, so none to disembark, plus the crew has had 2 days to make beds/clean/etc and PARTY!... So I think that within an hour of docking they should be allowing people on.

As you asked I will be able to tell you more when we come back.
Bob

PS - did the cruise out of Charleston way back in 1999... we had 50+ from IOP going and I must admit the only thing I remember about that cruise is the size of my SS account!!! WOW!

jrmende63
April 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Julie,
Well I had the same thoughts... and from what I understand the dining is normal... unless it's not.. lol. It seems that they plan on having normal dining except they may not depending on timing... Confused? So am I!

As for boarding this is my best guess... The ship gets here with no passengers on board, so none to disembark, plus the crew has had 2 days to make beds/clean/etc and PARTY!... So I think that within an hour of docking they should be allowing people on.

As you asked I will be able to tell you more when we come back.
Bob

PS - did the cruise out of Charleston way back in 1999... we had 50+ from IOP going and I must admit the only thing I remember about that cruise is the size of my SS account!!! WOW!
Thanks Bob. I look forward to hearing from you. I have this thread marked to update me on any updates.

bobsfamily
April 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks Bob. I look forward to hearing from you. I have this thread marked to update me on any updates.
Next time you come to the IOP stop by the VFW and say 'HEY'...

jrmende63
April 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Next time you come to the IOP stop by the VFW and say 'HEY'...
I sure will! We like coming over there to IOP in the summertime.

bobsfamily
April 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
May 25th Truimph Cruise INFO... READ Ok... this is VERY important... I just got off the phone with a contact (OK my PVP who seems to know everything) about the May 25th cruise.... The OFFICIAL embarkation time is.... 7:00PM!!! Do NOT arrive at 2pm... not even sure when you can start leaving cars... I will try and find that out next... As always I'm sure 5ish is going to be more realistic for getting in line to get onboard... He said DO NOT GO at 2pm or even 3pm... they are doing final deep cleaning/meeting with employees/etc. There is NO dining room food that night either... Buffet/room service/etc. only. Official embarkation is from 7pm til 8:30... cruise is close to sold out.
As for parking downtown and dropping off luggage I will find out more as that would be a good way to visit downtown Charleston.

This came from the port, so we will see what actually happens.
May 25 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH Arrives - 1400 hrs Embark for the
Carnival Cruise Lines Sails - 2200 hrs Bahamas
(Rtn 05/30/09)
May 30 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH Arrives - 0700 hrs Debark from the
Carnival Cruise Lines Sails - 1100 hrs Bahamas
(Reposition to
another port)

jrmende63
April 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
May 25th Truimph Cruise INFO... READ Ok... this is VERY important... I just got off the phone with a contact (OK my PVP who seems to know everything) about the May 25th cruise.... The OFFICIAL embarkation time is.... 7:00PM!!! Do NOT arrive at 2pm... not even sure when you can start leaving cars... I will try and find that out next... As always I'm sure 5ish is going to be more realistic for getting in line to get onboard... He said DO NOT GO at 2pm or even 3pm... they are doing final deep cleaning/meeting with employees/etc. There is NO dining room food that night either... Buffet/room service/etc. only. Official embarkation is from 7pm til 8:30... cruise is close to sold out.
As for parking downtown and dropping off luggage I will find out more as that would be a good way to visit downtown Charleston.

This came from the port, so we will see what actually happens.
May 25 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH Arrives - 1400 hrs Embark for the
Carnival Cruise Lines Sails - 2200 hrs Bahamas
(Rtn 05/30/09)
May 30 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH Arrives - 0700 hrs Debark from the
Carnival Cruise Lines Sails - 1100 hrs Bahamas
(Reposition to
another port)
Bob,
I spoke to a MD at our hospital that has been on this very cruise. ( she went last May) She said there was open seating dining room the first night. She said you could start boarding at 4pm and muster drill was at 9:30 before sailaway at 10pm. The ship arrives one hour later on the November cruise. I guess we will eat all in one massive wave...trying out "as you wish dining"! LOL. I for one don't care...I just love being on the ship. My son and DIL will be joining us for thier very first cruise...I am excited for them!
Julie

bobsfamily
April 23rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Bob,
I spoke to a MD at our hospital that has been on this very cruise. ( she went last May) She said there was open seating dining room the first night. She said you could start boarding at 4pm and muster drill was at 9:30 before sailaway at 10pm. The ship arrives one hour later on the November cruise. I guess we will eat all in one massive wave...trying out "as you wish dining"! LOL. I for one don't care...I just love being on the ship. My son and DIL will be joining us for thier very first cruise...I am excited for them!
Julie

That's what I thought... No way they are going to get 2700 passengers on in an hour and a half... lol! Just don't be there at 2. I have emailed the port to see what time they will allow parking/luggage drop off. I can always drop off the luggage, send the daughter home and go have some "cheap" (compared to on board prices) drinks downtown... wow, never thought I would call some of the prices downtown "cheap"... lol What hospital are you talking about? My wife works at East Cooper.

jrmende63
April 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
That's what I thought... No way they are going to get 2700 passengers on in an hour and a half... lol! Just don't be there at 2. I have emailed the port to see what time they will allow parking/luggage drop off. I can always drop off the luggage, send the daughter home and go have some "cheap" (compared to on board prices) drinks downtown... wow, never thought I would call some of the prices downtown "cheap"... lol What hospital are you talking about? My wife works at East Cooper.
I am a RN at St. Francis Hospital. I work in the newborn nursery. What does your wife do?
I was glad to hear that we do get to eat in the dining room that first night. I was wondering because I did not see how all those folks could get to dinner on time if we were staggered boarding. But it makes perfect sense to have open seating. I am betting that most folks will go to the LIDO for dinner. I just prefer the dining room.
I never thought about getting drinks downtown and then boarding...hmmmm...:p
I am always so excited to board that I would not even thought about getting anything before hand.

bobsfamily
April 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
I am a RN at St. Francis Hospital. I work in the newborn nursery. What does your wife do?
I was glad to hear that we do get to eat in the dining room that first night. I was wondering because I did not see how all those folks could get to dinner on time if we were staggered boarding. But it makes perfect sense to have open seating. I am betting that most folks will go to the LIDO for dinner. I just prefer the dining room.
I never thought about getting drinks downtown and then boarding...hmmmm...:p
I am always so excited to board that I would not even thought about getting anything before hand.
She's an RN and in charge of Day Surgery.. I sure hope it's "open seating" as I was concerned about the same... crowds everywhere.
We are so used to getting on board before noon that I may need to go downtown, grab a drink and look for a balcony to look out at the ship... pretend I am already on board... lol

sable1
May 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for this opportunity to ask queestions of the locals.

We are going to be in town Sept. 23-28.

Are there any discount offers for the Plantations? I assume there is one for seniors, any others that may be better?

We are thinking of Middleton, Magnolia, Drayton or Boone Hall. Which would you suggest if we only can do one or two in one day?

I understand the Candlelight tour is going on during this time. Is it really a must do? We enjoy old homes, do you get to enter the homes or is it just a walk-by?

And I assume the weather will be HOT & muggy, right?

Thanks for your help.
Joanne

jrmende63
May 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for this opportunity to ask queestions of the locals.

Are there any discount offers for the Plantations? I assume there is one for seniors, any others that may be better?

We are thinking of Middleton, Magnolia, Drayton or Boone Hall. Which would you suggest if we only can do one or two in one day?

I understand the Candlelight tour is going on during this time. Is it really a must do? We enjoy old homes, do you get to enter the homes or is it just a walk-by?

Thanks for your help.
Joanne
Joanne,
I don't know the answer to all of your questions but you could contact the Charleston's Visitor Center. They would know the answers. I do know that I have been to Middleton Plantation and it is just gorgeous. I can also tell you that HOT and MUGGY isn't even going to touch the weather round these parts in late Sept. But dress light, rest often and drink plenty of water and you will be fine. You know I think I was able to view the home on my plantation tour,but it has been so long, I can't remember for sure.
Enjoy Charleston!
Julie

bobsfamily
May 11th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks for this opportunity to ask questions of the locals.
Thanks for your help.
Joanne

It will be hot,muggy UNLESS it's a hurricane... lol
That's the peak for Charleston... Sept. 21-22 Hugo hit.

Check online at each plantation - they sometimes have discounts or coupons.

bobsfamily
May 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I AM LEAVING - out of Charleston Tomorrow... May 25th... NO driving/flying and will be home 20 min. after cruise...only bad part... lol

W8ingNxtCrz
May 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I AM LEAVING - out of Charleston Tomorrow... May 25th... NO driving/flying and will be home 20 min. after cruise...only bad part... lol
Have a wonderful time!:)

jrmende63
May 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Bob have fun and let me know how the boarding goes!

bobsfamily
May 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Sure will... and Thanks.

hospvol
May 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Does the Holiday Inn overlooking the Ashley River still have a park and cruise special price? We stayed there in February and it was so convenient. If not, is there anywhere else that has a park and cruise special?

jrmende63
May 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Does the Holiday Inn overlooking the Ashley River still have a park and cruise special price? We stayed there in February and it was so convenient. If not, is there anywhere else that has a park and cruise special?
I believe the Round Holiday inn does still have that special.

bobsfamily
June 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm back... embarkation went VERY smoothly. We went to drop off luggage early - around 2ish - and were asked if we wanted to get on... Well as the earliest we were told we could get on was maybe 5ish we were a little surprised but said Heck yeah!!!
We had to take the shuttle to the passenger terminal, waited about 5 min. to do paperwork and was on board in another couple of minutes.... Room was ready and luggage showed up about 20 minutes later...
As for getting off... ship got to Charleston around 6ish am and we left the ship with our luggage (forgot to put it out) around 8ish... went down to 1st floor... about a 1 minute wait, walked straight to customs and he said welcome home and we were on east bay waiting for our daughter before we knew what happened.... fastest I have ever been on or off a ship.

jrmende63
June 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm back... embarkation went VERY smoothly. We went to drop off luggage early - around 2ish - and were asked if we wanted to get on... Well as the earliest we were told we could get on was maybe 5ish we were a little surprised but said Heck yeah!!!
We had to take the shuttle to the passenger terminal, waited about 5 min. to do paperwork and was on board in another couple of minutes.... Room was ready and luggage showed up about 20 minutes later...
As for getting off... ship got to Charleston around 6ish am and we left the ship with our luggage (forgot to put it out) around 8ish... went down to 1st floor... about a 1 minute wait, walked straight to customs and he said welcome home and we were on east bay waiting for our daughter before we knew what happened.... fastest I have ever been on or off a ship.
So how was everything else? Did you like the ship? Where was your cabin? We have cabin 6463 AFT. Our Son and DIL have a cabin (OV ) on Riviera deck. Did you do any excursions?

MarilouR
June 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I am very happy to have found this thread. We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise out of Charleston in March 2010. The deciding factor in determining which cruise we would do was the opportunity to visit Charleston. As history buffs, we are very excited and the next 9 months are not going to pass quickly enough :)

jrmende63
June 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am very happy to have found this thread. We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise out of Charleston in March 2010. The deciding factor in determining which cruise we would do was the opportunity to visit Charleston. As history buffs, we are very excited and the next 9 months are not going to pass quickly enough :)
Hi MarilouR,
We are glad you are coming to our fair city to sail! What ship are you sailing on?
Julie & Randall

MarilouR
June 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
We will be on the Celebrity Mercury - 10 days Western Caribbean. I just sent away for the visitor's brochure and am looking forward to planning our time in Charleston. Our plan is to fly in on the 17th. The ship leaves on the 19th. We are also planning one night at the end of the cruise. What is the weather like mid-late March?

jrmende63
June 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM
We will be on the Celebrity Mercury - 10 days Western Caribbean. I just sent away for the visitor's brochure and am looking forward to planning our time in Charleston. Our plan is to fly in on the 17th. The ship leaves on the 19th. We are also planning one night at the end of the cruise. What is the weather like mid-late March?
It depends on what the weather feels like doing!:confused: LOL. Really pack a little of both ( warm and cool weather) clothes and you should be fine. Some Marchs I thought we would have to turn the A/C on...then others it was cold and long sleeves were in order.

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Bob have fun and let me know how the boarding goes!
Boarding was a breeze!! We were told we could not get on until 7pm by Carnival... went down at 2pm to drop off luggage and planned on coming back around 5ish... well the guards asked why we were not getting on now... and sure enough we could get on. We waited about 3 min. for a shuttle, walked into the passenger terminal thru security and about 10 min. later was onboard. Less than 30 min. later our luggage showed up. Getting off was a breeze also... at least for us. We had a cabin directly above were disembarkation was and saw almost no one getting off around 8ish so we took elevator down (we had luggage) and no one in line. We walked off and thru customs in no time as was picked up by 8:30.

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM

As stated Mid-March can be freezing or semi-warm. Our daughter was born mid-March in 1993 and it was called the "storm of the Century".... we had blackouts/snow/hail/sleet/50 MPH winds/etc. It has also been in the 80's with lows on the 60's. Very turbulent weather time here on the coast.

W8ingNxtCrz
June 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
As stated Mid-March can be freezing or semi-warm. Our daughter was born mid-March in 1993 and it was called the "storm of the Century".... we had blackouts/snow/hail/sleet/50 MPH winds/etc. It has also been in the 80's with lows on the 60's. Very turbulent weather time here on the coast.
Hi bobsfamily...I have another question please. My one cruise out of Charleston was way back in February of '03. I have always wanted to cruise out of Charleston again and will be doing that in March '10. One thing I do remember was that after disembarking (Galaxy) it was very difficult to get a taxi. There were none waiting and many people searching. The weather was rainy and cold. After quite a long wait, I finally was able to share a taxi with someone. My question is---has the taxi service improved? Thanks.:) p.s..I will be going to the Doubletree Hotel---can I walk???

jrmende63
June 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Boarding was a breeze!! We were told we could not get on until 7pm by Carnival... went down at 2pm to drop off luggage and planned on coming back around 5ish... well the guards asked why we were not getting on now... and sure enough we could get on. We waited about 3 min. for a shuttle, walked into the passenger terminal thru security and about 10 min. later was onboard. Less than 30 min. later our luggage showed up. Getting off was a breeze also... at least for us. We had a cabin directly above were disembarkation was and saw almost no one getting off around 8ish so we took elevator down (we had luggage) and no one in line. We walked off and thru customs in no time as was picked up by 8:30.
Thanks for the update! I read your review on the Carnival Board. I am excited for ours to get here!
anything you did not like about Triumph? What was the best? And were you in the front or AFt dining room for dinner?
Oh and see if you can talk to the rain clouds on Thursday June 11. Ask them to keep the rain away! our Granddaughter, Ashlyn is being baptised at IOP (on the beach) at sunset!

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hi bobsfamily...I have another question please. My one cruise out of Charleston was way back in February of '03. I have always wanted to cruise out of Charleston again and will be doing that in March '10. One thing I do remember was that after disembarking (Galaxy) it was very difficult to get a taxi. There were none waiting and many people searching. The weather was rainy and cold. After quite a long wait, I finally was able to share a taxi with someone. My question is---has the taxi service improved? Thanks.:) p.s..I will be going to the Doubletree Hotel---can I walk???

As a rule there is not much parking for cabs BUT when we got off - early at around 8ish - there were people asking if we needed a cab. The way they do shuttles to the passenger terminal does not allow the cabs to come up... you have to short distance to get one.... Now if you have to check luggage to get off you will get a porter (hopefully) and he will help with a cab.
The weather is real iffy at that time and could be fine or horrible.... yikes! One thing you can do is reserve a cab/limo ahead of time and it will be waiting for you. Only problem with that is time you will get off. You need to be able to call and let them know an approximate time.

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the update! I read your review on the Carnival Board. I am excited for ours to get here!
anything you did not like about Triumph? What was the best? And were you in the front or AFt dining room for dinner?
Oh and see if you can talk to the rain clouds on Thursday June 11. Ask them to keep the rain away! our Granddaughter, Ashlyn is being baptised at IOP (on the beach) at sunset!
Where at? You will have sunshine til darkness arrives! You know that is after 8pm.

W8ingNxtCrz
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
As a rule there is not much parking for cabs BUT when we got off - early at around 8ish - there were people asking if we needed a cab. The way they do shuttles to the passenger terminal does not allow the cabs to come up... you have to short distance to get one.... Now if you have to check luggage to get off you will get a porter (hopefully) and he will help with a cab.
The weather is real iffy at that time and could be fine or horrible.... yikes! One thing you can do is reserve a cab/limo ahead of time and it will be waiting for you. Only problem with that is time you will get off. You need to be able to call and let them know an approximate time.
Thanks again bobsfamily. You always have good ideas---I like the one about getting a porter to help w/cab. I suppose I will take my chances that way. I do remember that there was a shuttle to the terminal--I was hoping that system had changed. Thanks so much---any more ???'s, I know who to ask!:D

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks again bobsfamily. You always have good ideas---I like the one about getting a porter to help w/cab. I suppose I will take my chances that way. I do remember that there was a shuttle to the terminal--I was hoping that system had changed. Thanks so much---any more ???'s, I know who to ask!:D
The porters are first come first served so if you see one open grab them (sometimes literally as in tap their shoulder) and don't let them go. They will help with luggage... the only thing they won't do is customs... but usually will meet you on the other side.

jrmende63
June 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Where at? You will have sunshine til darkness arrives! You know that is after 8pm.
I'm not sure yet.. all my daughter in law said was on the beach at IOP. I assume we would park at the public parking area:confused: Hopefully she will be forthcoming with more to the letter instructions!
I think I remember you saying you are at the VFW...when are you there? I would like to say hello sometime. I only live off of 41...about 20 miles or so to the IOP.

bobsfamily
June 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure yet.. all my daughter in law said was on the beach at IOP. I assume we would park at the public parking area:confused: Hopefully she will be forthcoming with more to the letter instructions!
I think I remember you saying you are at the VFW...when are you there? I would like to say hello sometime. I only live off of 41...about 20 miles or so to the IOP.

Email me at rentabob at bellsouth dot net and we will discuss this more... Bob

jrmende63
June 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
will do!

Katie H
August 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
We are sailing on the Mercury on April 19th through the canal and ending in LA. We will drive to Charleston and need a hotel the night of the 18th and will want to leave our car for 16 days. We will will need transportation to the pier on the 19th. We will fly back from LA on May 5 and will need transportation from the airport to the hotel and will spend another night there. So I guess we are looking for a hotel with an airport shuttle which would mean something near the airport. If the hotel does not provide a shuttle to the pier, we would need the name of a shuttle service to contact. We are just looking for a place to sleep with some sort of breakfast. We want it clean and safe, but does not have to be fancy or near any sites. Suggestions?

bobsfamily
August 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
We are sailing on the Mercury on April 19th through the canal and ending in LA. We will drive to Charleston and need a hotel the night of the 18th and will want to leave our car for 16 days. We will will need transportation to the pier on the 19th. We will fly back from LA on May 5 and will need transportation from the airport to the hotel and will spend another night there. So I guess we are looking for a hotel with an airport shuttle which would mean something near the airport. If the hotel does not provide a shuttle to the pier, we would need the name of a shuttle service to contact. We are just looking for a place to sleep with some sort of breakfast. We want it clean and safe, but does not have to be fancy or near any sites. Suggestions?
Up until recently I would not recommend anything in North Charleston. But within the last 12 months the area near the Convention Center has grown up with a Tanger outlet mall, Huge Walmart/Sam's club, and at least 40 other shops/restaurants/etc. There is an Embassy Suites at the North Charleston Convention Center... not sure about the car though.

Most hotels downtown will not allow your car to be parked - very little parking downtown.
I will do a little research and get back to you.
Bob

SF
August 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
We will be visiting Charleston in October and need some questions answered. This is a great thread and I've already learned so much and can't wait to visit. Any information on the following questions would be greatly appreciated.:)

1. We plan to rent a car for the day. How far is 398 Meeting St. from the port?

2. We are thinking of driving to Boone Plantation for 9am and then staying for a while but we still want to have time to see the city sights so how much time should we allow for both if we need to return the car by 4pm? If I re-searched correctly I believe the drive to Boone is about 25 mins.

3. Are there parking areas near the areas we want to see (Old Exchange Building, Rainbow Row, the Battery, St. Michael's Church and St. Philip's Church?

4. Is there a cost for parking at the above city sights? Could we part in one specific area and walk the rest or would we have to park at different locations?

Any suggestions are welcomed as we are not set in our itinerary yet.

bobsfamily
August 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM
We will be visiting Charleston in October and need some questions answered. This is a great thread and I've already learned so much and can't wait to visit. Any information on the following questions would be greatly appreciated.:)

1. We plan to rent a car for the day. How far is 398 Meeting St. from the port?
It is at least a mile away... and not a great place to walk. Where are you coming from to rent at this place?
see map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=398+Meeting+St.,+charleston,+sc&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.598824,92.285156&ie=UTF8&ll=32.791478,-79.932897&spn=0.009272,0.022531&t=h&z=16

2. We are thinking of driving to Boone Plantation for 9am and then staying for a while but we still want to have time to see the city sights so how much time should we allow for both if we need to return the car by 4pm? If I re-searched correctly I believe the drive to Boone is about 25 mins.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=398+Meeting+St.,+charleston,+sc&daddr=32.839212,-79.818249+to:boone+hall+plantation,+mt.+pleasant,+ sc&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFdI19QEdUfc9-yGcWGCF8pO_eQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=32.819739,-79.883823&sspn=0.078045,0.180244&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

3. Are there parking areas near the areas we want to see (Old Exchange Building, Rainbow Row, the Battery, St. Michael's Church and St. Philip's Church?

4. Is there a cost for parking at the above city sights? Could we part in one specific area and walk the rest or would we have to park at different locations?

Any suggestions are welcomed as we are not set in our itinerary yet.

Parking for the areas downtown are not at each place... you can drive slowly by most but your best bet is to turn in your car and be dropped off at meeting and market. You would have to pay for parking a car you are renting. There are horse drawn carriages that go very slow with plenty of info to be rented in that area. It is were the "straw market" is and plenty of history.
Are you staying at a downtown hotel? If you are renting a car just to go to Boone hall then you might want to rethink that and take a tour or just rent a taxi to/from the plantation.
This website will help:
Any other question ask away.

bobsfamily
August 13th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Katie H:
There are several hotels that can do most of what you want.

http://www.theinnatrivercrossing.com/

This is in Mt. Pleasant and provides easy access to downtown/Mt. pleasant/interstate/etc. They provide breakfast and are happy for you to leave your car. Cab to port is reasonable (less than $20). Shuttle from airport is around the same.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/chsrv

Called the "round" Holiday Inn it is in the middle of the road from downtown to West of the Ashley... it has an airport shuttle and I think a shuttle to the port plus you can leave your car... not sure about 16 days but they do it for 7 nighters. No real place to walk outside the site. Get a room up high and you will have great views... make sure you request the view of passenger port and you will see the ship come in...

Hope this helps

SF
August 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
bobsfamily:

Thanks for all the information.

We will be visiting Charleston for the day from our cruise and thought to rent a car. Is that area safe if we are picked up at the docks or should we avoid it no matter?

We like your idea about getting a taxi to and from Boone, do you know approx. what the cost would be for a family of 4? Can we just pick one up at the dock and will there be a taxi at Boone for our return? The ship's tours are too expensive!

Is Boone Plantation worth seeing or is Magnolia Gardens Plantation better?

Should we wish a carriage ride thru town can that be just arranged last minute?

bobsfamily
August 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
bobsfamily:

Thanks for all the information.

We will be visiting Charleston for the day from our cruise and thought to rent a car. Is that area safe if we are picked up at the docks or should we avoid it no matter?

We like your idea about getting a taxi to and from Boone, do you know approx. what the cost would be for a family of 4? Can we just pick one up at the dock and will there be a taxi at Boone for our return? The ship's tours are too expensive!

Is Boone Plantation worth seeing or is Magnolia Gardens Plantation better?

Should we wish a carriage ride thru town can that be just arranged last minute?
You can get a tour of plantations:
http://www.charleston-tours.com/tours/index.html#plantation
http://www.historictoursofcharleston.com/tours.htm
I would recommend NOT doing the car rental, take a tour. It's not Boone Hall but any of them will give you the experience. The carriage rides are continuous from Market St. which is the road from the pier. You could do downtown and get your fill of history.

SF
August 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Based on your information we decided to scratch the car rental idea and take one of the tours from the tour sights you suggested.

bobsfamily
August 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Based on your information we decided to scratch the car rental idea and take one of the tours from the tour sights you suggested.
Being in town for one day it's really not worth it when a lot of History is right in front of you. One other thing is the Harbour tour:

http://www.charlestonharbortours.com/daily-tours-charleston-harbor-tour-carriage-tour.cfm

You would see all kinds of sites...
BTW what ship are you on?

SF
August 13th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the link to the Harbor Tours. We will be on the Crown Princess.

Katie H
August 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
bobsfamily-
Thanks for the info. I will look at those sites.

bobsfamily
August 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the link to the Harbor Tours. We will be on the Crown Princess.
It's coming here as a port during your cruise? Where is it coming from/going to?

SF
August 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yes, it's visiting Charleston, SC unless they've changed the port itinerary when I wasn't looking:D
Don't have the schedule in front of me but it's sometime the first week of November. It's coming from Quebec, Canada on it's way back to Ft. Lauderdale.

bobsfamily
August 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, it's visiting Charleston, SC unless they've changed the port itinerary when I wasn't looking:D
Don't have the schedule in front of me but it's sometime the first week of November. It's coming from Quebec, Canada on it's way back to Ft. Lauderdale.
Ah, it's a repositioning cruise... we just get very few cruise ships as a port of call. It's a shame but obviously not very easy to do with a carib or Canada trip. It is such a wonderful historic city (downtown part). You will have a wonderful time and would suggest the harbor cruise, carriage ride and possibly if time a visit to one of the plantations. I will say if you do all three in one day you will sleep quite well that night!
Have a wonderful cruise!

SF
August 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Since we arrive in Charleston real early 7am we are thinking of either taking a taxi to Magnolia or Boone Plantation and then doing a carriage tour of the city upon are return. We must be back on board the ship by 4pm so hopefully that will allow us enough time. I figure if we get to the one of the plantations by 9am and leave by noon we will still have about two hours in town. The lady at Magnolia Plantation said she would be able to call a taxi for us to bring us back to town and it may pay to do it that way as we are four people and it would still work out cheaper than a tour from the ship. The other tours leaving from town unfortunately don't work with our timing.

bobsfamily
August 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Since we arrive in Charleston real early 7am we are thinking of either taking a taxi to Magnolia or Boone Plantation and then doing a carriage tour of the city upon are return. We must be back on board the ship by 4pm so hopefully that will allow us enough time. I figure if we get to the one of the plantations by 9am and leave by noon we will still have about two hours in town. The lady at Magnolia Plantation said she would be able to call a taxi for us to bring us back to town and it may pay to do it that way as we are four people and it would still work out cheaper than a tour from the ship. The other tours leaving from town unfortunately don't work with our timing.
Good idea. You could do the tour in about 1-2 hours depending, grab taxi back to Market street, do a carriage ride, get in some souvenir shopping, drop by Market Street sweets for a must have praline... they are to die for... and then be back on ship by 2ish-3ish for a late snack and bon voyage! It's a shame they are not staying a little later. One other thought if you have military buffs is the Patriots point Maritime museum:
http://www.patriotspoint.org/

There is a ferry from downtown to Patriots and back. It is near the ship port. It has the Yorktown aircraft carrier from WWII, medal of honor museum, etc.

It's funny how much you forget is around you until you are listing for someone visiting... may have to go do this myself!!