PDA

View Full Version : Maryland cruise addicts?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

2Cruise4Ever
April 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Pulling out of the driveway tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. (otherwise known as Oh-dark-thirty) to head to NYC to board the NCL Jewel... our 10th Wedding Anniversary cruise! And, this time WITHOUT the kids! We haven't taken a week without the kids since our honeymoon! Soooo excited!

Oh, and we received an upsell to a penthouse suite... DH doesn't know... it's my anniversary present to him. Can't wait to see his face!

2Cruise4Ever
April 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Leaving in the a.m. for a flight to West Palm. Driving up to Port St. Lucie to visit former SeaTerps Cindy and Jerry. On Monday we drive to Miami to drop off the rental car and board Majesty for her 20th anniversary cruise. A simple Nassau/Coco Cay/Key West itin. Short, but fun, as always on MJ!
Rick and Deirdra

Have a blast!

CAC104
April 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I think I have adjusted to being back in MD again. I must say that the azaleas are really looking pretty, but it seems like they are a few weeks earlier than usual.

Deidra I hope you enjoy visiting Cindy and also your cruise....I wish you calm seas and sunny skies.

Another former Sea Terp is coming back for a visit to Maryland and I was wondering if anyone would like to try and have a F2F meeting. Momesu, aka Suzanne moved to The Villages in Florida this past year and is coming up for a quilt show. This is what she wrote...
Hi Carol,
The quilt show is at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg. We hold it in the Home Arts Building.
The times are Friday, April 27 noon to 8pm; Saturday, 10am to 6pm; and Sunday 10am to 4pm. Here is a link to the quilt show brochure (http://www.friendshipstar.org/2012/index.htm)
I will be at the show all day Friday and Saturday and from noon to closing on Sunday.

Since the purpose of this trip is the quilt show I will be pretty much tied up with it otherwise I would suggest we could meet elsewhere for lunch or something. I do have to say though that it is a show well worth visiting if you enjoy looking at quilts and seeing peoples talent on display.
Once again safe travels back to MD and I hope that by the time you arrive all the cold weather has packed itself away till next winter.

Suzanne

I told her that Sunday afternoon works out the best for me. Does anyone else want to see a Quilt Show in Gaithersburg and meet up?

We have made that cruise up and down route 95 many times. I kind of like it, but I don't usually do much of the driving. ;) Do you ever stop at the Lone Star Barbecue and Mercantile in Sanatee, SC?
I haven't tried out this place. Do you recommend it?

2Cruise4Ever
April 21st, 2012, 04:05 AM
I think I have adjusted to being back in MD again. I must say that the azaleas are really looking pretty, but it seems like they are a few weeks earlier than usual.

Deidra I hope you enjoy visiting Cindy and also your cruise....I wish you calm seas and sunny skies.

Another former Sea Terp is coming back for a visit to Maryland and I was wondering if anyone would like to try and have a F2F meeting. Momesu, aka Suzanne moved to The Villages in Florida this past year and is coming up for a quilt show. This is what she wrote...
<b>Hi Carol,
The quilt show is at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg. We hold it in the Home Arts Building.
The times are Friday, April 27 noon to 8pm; Saturday, 10am to 6pm; and Sunday 10am to 4pm. Here is a link to the quilt show brochure (http://www.friendshipstar.org/2012/index.htm)
I will be at the show all day Friday and Saturday and from noon to closing on Sunday.

Since the purpose of this trip is the quilt show I will be pretty much tied up with it otherwise I would suggest we could meet elsewhere for lunch or something. I do have to say though that it is a show well worth visiting if you enjoy looking at quilts and seeing peoples talent on display.
Once again safe travels back to MD and I hope that by the time you arrive all the cold weather has packed itself away till next winter.

Suzanne

</b>I told her that Sunday afternoon works out the best for me. Does anyone else want to see a Quilt Show in Gaithersburg and meet up?

I haven't tried out this place. Do you recommend it?

As much as I would love to get together with other MD cruisers, I won't be able to make it this time. I am participating in a speech contest (won the first two levels!) and that Sunday is the next round. Of course, it's the day AFTER we get back from our cruise! :rolleyes: I told DH if he can't find me... I'll be on the Lido deck practicing my speech.

We're leaving here in about an hour for NYC. See you all when we get back!

Bowie MeMe
April 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
As much as I would love to get together with other MD cruisers, I won't be able to make it this time. I am participating in a speech contest (won the first two levels!) and that Sunday is the next round. Of course, it's the day AFTER we get back from our cruise! :rolleyes: I told DH if he can't find me... I'll be on the Lido deck practicing my speech.

We're leaving here in about an hour for NYC. See you all when we get back!

I saw that you are "into" speech making and WINNING! Could you tell me what you are participating in. I like storytelling and being the litergist at church and I spent 40 years as and elementary librarian -- Thanks Barbara

michelle1836
April 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
A mix of rain and snow tomorrow?!?!? :eek:

Nymue
April 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Snow.....What????????

A mix of rain and snow tomorrow?!?!? :eek:

Nymue
April 24th, 2012, 02:07 PM
We love Coco Cay & Key West. Last month we took a 7 day on Princess from FLL and it was just too soon to come back. We decided that the next time we did a 7 night out of there, we would book the 4 night with RCCL that does that itin to follow it up.

Anne

A simple Nassau/Coco Cay/Key West itin. Short, but fun, as always on MJ!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
April 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM
We love Coco Cay & Key West. Last month we took a 7 day on Princess from FLL and it was just too soon to come back. We decided that the next time we did a 7 night out of there, we would book the 4 night with RCCL that does that itin to follow it up.

Anne
The Majesty sails from Miami, and the Monarch from Cape Canaveral, so if you come into Ft. Lauderdale, you would have to arrange to get from one port to the other.

Silent Penguin
April 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Leaving in the a.m. for a flight to West Palm. Driving up to Port St. Lucie to visit former SeaTerps Cindy and Jerry. On Monday we drive to Miami to drop off the rental car and board Majesty for her 20th anniversary cruise. A simple Nassau/Coco Cay/Key West itin. Short, but fun, as always on MJ!
Rick and Deirdra

Are you back yet? How was the cruise? How was the weather? I would love to be in any of those ports you list. I think March and April switched places this year.

Silent Penguin
April 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Pulling out of the driveway tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. (otherwise known as Oh-dark-thirty) to head to NYC to board the NCL Jewel... our 10th Wedding Anniversary cruise! And, this time WITHOUT the kids! We haven't taken a week without the kids since our honeymoon! Soooo excited!

Oh, and we received an upsell to a penthouse suite... DH doesn't know... it's my anniversary present to him. Can't wait to see his face!

How was your "parents only" cruise? Dh and I took our first one a few cruises ago. Isn't it great?

CAC104
April 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM
The weather here isn't too good today, but I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

When I am in Maryland I substitute teach in Montgomery County and really like to go in for the different jobs.

Yesterday I was a PE teacher in an ES and it just wipes me out by the end of the day. Then, I had an incident on the car pool line after school where one little girl hit her brother in the head with his back pack, and the zipper must have caught his scalp because it opened up a cut on the back of his head and the blood was squirting out. I always keep paper towels in my bag, so I sat him down and held towels to his head and another teacher went to get more paper towels and then an ice pack. He bled through loads of paper towels, but finally by the time his Mom drove up to pick the kids up, the bleeding had stopped. (if she had been on time nothing would have happened:rolleyes:) She was all shook up when she saw the blood soaked towels, but I told her to take him home and wash the area and call her doctor if she was worried. What the other teacher and I were really happy about was that it was his own sister who had hit him. If it had been someone else, then there would have been a whole mess. I am only a sub, so the other teacher went in to file an accident report. If this had been two unrelated kids, then all kinds of disciplinary actions would have to be taken by the school, so we both were wondering if the fact that it was family if things would be different.

2Cruise4Ever
April 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
How was your "parents only" cruise? Dh and I took our first one a few cruises ago. Isn't it great?

We had an awesome time! A roller coaster ride down to Florida (REALLY rocking and rolling), but all was good. Very sad to be home :(

Pumbaamd
April 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Are you back yet? How was the cruise? How was the weather? I would love to be in any of those ports you list. I think March and April switched places this year.

We got back last evening. The cruise was great! Every cruise we take seems better than the last one. Haven't had a bad one yet. All the ports were especially nice because the temps were in the low 70's. Very unusual as we are always very hot when visiting Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West. The cooler weather made it so much better. And you are correct about March/April. It was 41 degrees this a.m. when we got up. A huge shock from our week in Florida and the Bahamas.
Rick and Deirdra

2Cruise4Ever
April 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM
We got back last evening. The cruise was great! Every cruise we take seems better than the last one. Haven't had a bad one yet. All the ports were especially nice because the temps were in the low 70's. Very unusual as we are always very hot when visiting Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West. The cooler weather made it so much better. And you are correct about March/April. It was 41 degrees this a.m. when we got up. A huge shock from our week in Florida and the Bahamas.
Rick and Deirdra

Were you on the Monarch? We were on the Jewel with you in PC and Nassau! Agreed about the weather. It's usually very, very hot. It was nice not walking around drenched in sweat.

Pumbaamd
April 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Were you on the Monarch? We were on the Jewel with you in PC and Nassau! Agreed about the weather. It's usually very, very hot. It was nice not walking around drenched in sweat.
This cruise was on Majesty. However, we do have a couple Monarch cruises scheduled. Sorry, we've never been on NCL Jewel, just RCCL Jewel of the Seas. Enjoy this nice looking Sunday.
R&D

michelle1836
April 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM
The weather here isn't too good today, but I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

When I am in Maryland I substitute teach in Montgomery County and really like to go in for the different jobs.

Yesterday I was a PE teacher in an ES and it just wipes me out by the end of the day. Then, I had an incident on the car pool line after school where one little girl hit her brother in the head with his back pack, and the zipper must have caught his scalp because it opened up a cut on the back of his head and the blood was squirting out. I always keep paper towels in my bag, so I sat him down and held towels to his head and another teacher went to get more paper towels and then an ice pack. He bled through loads of paper towels, but finally by the time his Mom drove up to pick the kids up, the bleeding had stopped. (if she had been on time nothing would have happened:rolleyes:) She was all shook up when she saw the blood soaked towels, but I told her to take him home and wash the area and call her doctor if she was worried. What the other teacher and I were really happy about was that it was his own sister who had hit him. If it had been someone else, then there would have been a whole mess. I am only a sub, so the other teacher went in to file an accident report. If this had been two unrelated kids, then all kinds of disciplinary actions would have to be taken by the school, so we both were wondering if the fact that it was family if things would be different.

Clearly that would have been a totally different issue if it involved 2 unrelated students!! I work in Baltimore City Schools and I can just hear the parents now!! :eek:

Silent Penguin
April 30th, 2012, 08:27 PM
So, it's Monday. Is it all quiet on the school front? No buzz about lawyers I hope. Teachers are magnets for blame, and the younger the students, the more culpability the adults in charge have.

My sister and I had a fight in the yard at school when we were in 3rd and 4th grade. We got sent to the principal, and he threatened to spank us if it happened again. Times have changed!

Bowie MeMe
May 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Happy May! Seems like everybody is busy doing something else. I have been putting the final touches on the Asia trip and this month will do the flights to Minnesota in July (no cruise unless you count the 2 hour boat ride in Voyagers NP. With this trip and one to Arizona next year we will have visited every National Park but the four above the Artic Circle which are flyin in tiny planes type parks. My DH loves his NP passport. We need to revisit many because we did not get the passport until maybe 9 years ago.

I was a teacher for 43 years and did bus and lunchroom duty most days of those years. I quit the day that a 5th grade girl called me a B and then climbed on the table and would not get down for anyone in the building. Later the mother came and I was ordered to the office to explain to the mother why I was "unkind" to her daughter and embarrassed her in front of her classmates. The girl was sitting in the Principal's chair eating Popeye's fried chicken and grinning. That was the last time I was on school property.

No wonder I love to cruise and travel -- beats working bigtime.:D

Silent Penguin
May 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I was a teacher for 43 years and did bus and lunchroom duty most days of those years. I quit the day that a 5th grade girl called me a B and then climbed on the table and would not get down for anyone in the building. Later the mother came and I was ordered to the office to explain to the mother why I was "unkind" to her daughter and embarrassed her in front of her classmates. The girl was sitting in the Principal's chair eating Popeye's fried chicken and grinning.

I can soooo imagine this happening. My stepmother taught fourth grade in a township outside of Philadelphia for almost all of her 42 years of teaching career and has similar stories. Sadly, she ended her career on a similarly sour note and for a similar reason. We teachers can put up with a lot but only with the support of the administration.

I taught middle school but began a lot more recently than you did. These kinds of incidents were already, if not the norm, not substantially rare. Maybe because this kind of stuff was already happening in the class when I was a student, it didn't phase me the first time a 12 year old, female student called me a "F***** big-nosed Jew b****" and swatted my books off my desk because I sent her to the office for being unrelentingly disruptive in class. I suspect she was either high and out of control that day or possibly wanted to get an extra long out-of-school suspension.

CAC104
May 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM
There seems to be a general lack of respect for everyone by a lot of kids, but you have to blame the parents for poor up bringing.....I blame the fact that most families have the parents working full time and they are too tired when they come home to really do a good job.

I am having my house prepared for outside painting. The are washing the house and deck, and then we hope it will be nice weather so it all can be painted and stained.

Bowie MeMe
May 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Happy Mother's Day all. Beautiful here in the 'burbs. Talking on the roll call for Asia trip about doing Hong Kong Disney. With only one day in Hong Kong think I have to "redo" the harbor cruise and lunch at Jumbo floating restaurant and the crazy marketplaces. We have about 6 hours and that is not enough time to do even a quick overview of all the great things to see.

I don't know about you guys but I think my street is worthy of foreign visitors this week. Rhododendron, azaleas, iris, roses (the kind with hundreds of blooms and the ones with a few big ones), flower boxes of every sort, and well mowed green green yards under large trees. Sure is pretty. Sure makes it hard to breathe:p Happy travels in your neck of the woods.

CAC104
May 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I hope everyone enjoyed a nice Mother's Day. We just had the boys with us and I had planned on cooking a roast beef because I didn't want the crowds and waits at the restaurants. But, sometimes the best plans go awry....I went to Church and then fooled around doing things in the yard,( my flowers are also in full bloom) came in and got sleepy, so I went for a short nap. :rolleyes: By the time I woke up, it was much too late to put a roast on, so we had our local sub shop "Jerrys" wonderful steak and cheese heros and fries for dinner. I came home from teaching, and the roast is in the oven now.:)

Pumbaamd
May 14th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Carol, enjoy that roast.
We will sea you in PSL in July!!!
Rick and Deirdra

Nymue
May 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hope everyone had a wonderful Mothers Day :)

Anne

Bowie MeMe
May 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Does it count to cruise on the Superior Princess in the Apostle Islands National Seashore? 3 1/2 hour trip on Lake Superior in a small little red and white boat! We are also doing a 3 1/2 hour ranger tour on the Voyageur in Voyageur's National Park out to the Kettle Falls Hotel. We chose that tour because the boat has a bathroom and the canoes don't!!!!:eek: Should be all right from the pictures. These are my next boat experiences in July in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The day we took the "cruise" across the Rio Grande (Bend National Park) in Victor's leaky boat and ended up beached on the Mexican side because of low water was the only "cruise" I don't want to repeat! Otherwise I do love boats but bigger boats (ie cruise ships) gets bigger love.

Get much rain your way? We got a not impressive .6 inches.

rafinmd
May 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Does it count to cruise on the Superior Princess in the Apostle Islands National Seashore? 3 1/2 hour trip on Lake Superior in a small little red and white boat! We are also doing a 3 1/2 hour ranger tour on the Voyageur in Voyageur's National Park out to the Kettle Falls Hotel. We chose that tour because the boat has a bathroom and the canoes don't!!!!:eek: Should be all right from the pictures. These are my next boat experiences in July in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The day we took the "cruise" across the Rio Grande (Bend National Park) in Victor's leaky boat and ended up beached on the Mexican side because of low water was the only "cruise" I don't want to repeat! Otherwise I do love boats but bigger boats (ie cruise ships) gets bigger love.

Get much rain your way? We got a not impressive .6 inches.

I think every cruise counts. Fortunately I have one this week.

Roy

CAC104
May 15th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Roy...I wish you calm seas and sunny skies! Have a great cruise.:)

rafinmd
May 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Carol. It looks like a perfect day for a sailaway.

Roy

CAC104
May 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Our weather is supposed to be really great the next few days.

Bowie MeMe
May 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Have a great cruise Roy. Nothing better to do in May (or July Or any month here :D) Return safely and bring us the details of a great cruise.

CAC104
May 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Was anyone lucky enough to go to the Preakness? The nation got to see a fabulous weather day here in Maryland.

Bowie MeMe
May 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Pam in CA that comments often on Princess thread commented on what a fabulous Preakness it was and that the weather was spectacular. Looks like it might rain here but what a fabulous weekend! Saved on air and heat both:D

CAC104
May 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM
It was a gorgeous day yesterday and I worked out in the yard for hours. Doing all of that manual labor made falling a sleep last night very simple....my muscles were too tired to be restless.:D;) Which may be the answer, I have to keep doing more so I get tired out.

After some beautiful weather we are back to rain for this week, so no telling when my outside painters will be able to get back to work. I am teaching this afternoon. I like getting half days in the afternoon so I can sleep in and relax in the mornings.

Bowie MeMe
May 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hot Dang! Summer in the city of Bowie. Not sure that needed it this hot for still being in the month of May. Happy that the daughter in Ft. Lauderdale and the sister in Tallahassee got lots of rain but no bad results from Beryl. Take that you who don't plan cruises in hurricane season -- pre season fun:eek::D

CAC104
June 6th, 2012, 08:47 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/303619_309606705791561_1115918117_n.jpg

We are a little more wrinkled, a little more fluffier, and one of us is a whole lot grayer, but we are still going strong after 46 years. I still have the glasses we used at our wedding reception!

rafinmd
June 7th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Can I assume today (or yesterday) is the day?

Congratulations.

Roy

Bowie MeMe
June 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/303619_309606705791561_1115918117_n.jpg

We are a little more wrinkled, a little more fluffier, and one of us is a whole lot grayer, but we are still going strong after 46 years. I still have the glasses we used at our wedding reception!

Congrads on 46! We will have 43 in august. I just did the yearly cleaning of the silver and I polished the silver goblets up for August. Have a great time -- what are you doing -- out to dinner?

CAC104
June 7th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the Congrats....The day was 6/6/66:eek:
....and I have to be sure to say that I was truthfully a teenaged bride....however, now I am trying to fib it a little down to 13.
We actually opted to enjoy the bottle of champagne out on the deck with our two sons and then we got Chinese take out, and I have an I.O.U. dinner when we go back down to Florida. I love the restaurants on the water there, so I now have one for Mother's Day and the Anniversary.

Bowie MeMe
June 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
went Thursday for the Sailabration of 200 years after the War of 1812. It is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Had lunch at Brio across from Harbor Place (not so long a wait as over on the Harbor side!) Parked at Bank of America building across from Convention Center. The weather was brilliant.

We were able to board the Indonesian Tall Ship> The woodworking was absolutely beautiful. It was fun to see the powerboats trying to herd the purple and green dragon boats back into the correct area and away from the Tall ships:D they needed the classy stay 50 feet away signs (and also someone who could steer the boat and keep it going!). Crowded on Thursday -- might be a zoo on Sat/Sun. Lots of cute sailors in town, good history information in the NPS and Maryland Visitor Center tents (but hot !) and lots of music, performances, re enactors , and Naval culinary specialist tents. Did not go down further than Aquarium for the last 3 ships but that might be a place to get on ship with less line:rolleyes: anyway this celebration and the huge flag over the Harbor area was surely a great way to spend June 14, 2012 Flag Day. Speed on over. Maryland is Proud.

Tony O
June 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Having GREAT time also here at Sailabration

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rafinmd
June 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I'd have loved to be on Enchantment yesterday, going out through all of that.

Roy

Bowie MeMe
June 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'd have loved to be on Enchantment yesterday, going out through all of that.

Roy

Yeah it would have been spectacular. I think they actually sailed in Weds. Does anyone know of a great place to watch them sail back out of the harbor? I would imagine they would sail out on Monday. That should be spectacular also. Anybody seen if a local TV station will cover? I don't get Baltimore on my Verizon channels anymore or I don't know where they are located.

Bowie MeMe
June 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Loving the cool weather today. Going to play tourist in DC tomorrow and have lunch at Ray's Hell Burger. Might as well tour in our own backyards when the weather is nice. Anybody out there or is everybody someplace else?

Bowie MeMe
July 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hey Maryland How ya doing? We did not have too much destruction in our neighborhood. We lost power for about 40 hours so I have a very very clean fridge -- lost everything there. Spent 2 nights in BWI hotel with air and breakfast:). Some of my friends had roof problems and some went 5 days without electricity. Hard to drive around here in that traffic lights out for at least 3 days.

Is it not time to bury the lines -- this gets really old fast and I for one want my trees! Oh well- time to leave town and go on vacation! Always a plan to turn to .

rafinmd
July 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Glad you're back up and running, but sorry about your lost food. And some people still don't have power in this heat.

I'm lucky to have underground utilities, although I was shopping in a couple of stores that had to empty their shelves just as many of their customers were trying to resupply/

Underground wires are expensive, but it seems like we should at least be getting to work on the places that are hit heavy and often.

Roy

CAC104
July 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I had a great visit here in Florida with great Maryland friends....Rick and Dierdra are down here looking at places to retire to, and we met up at Cindy and Jerry's house for drinks and then went out to dinner to a cute restaurant on the Intracoastal....Looks like I am going to have another Terp Cruiser join me down in Florida soon:D ........only trouble with this is our MD thread is getting pretty slow.

My house in MD lost power for a day, but we have heard that the power has been coming on and off (we have everything underground) while they fix other areas. I have 3 big tree limbs down, and my yard care co. is going to take care of them, and I had my screens to my screened porch blow in. Since we were going on vacation down here, I had already cleaned out the refrigerators pretty much.

Today we hear that the temp in Maryland is going to be 104:eek: Down here it is only 90. So, come to Florida to cool off.;)

Bowie MeMe
July 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I had a great visit here in Florida with great Maryland friends....Rick and Dierdra are down here looking at places to retire to, and we met up at Cindy and Jerry's house for drinks and then went out to dinner to a cute restaurant on the Intracoastal....Looks like I am going to have another Terp Cruiser join me down in Florida soon:D ........only trouble with this is our MD thread is getting pretty slow.

My house in MD lost power for a day, but we have heard that the power has been coming on and off (we have everything underground) while they fix other areas. I have 3 big tree limbs down, and my yard care co. is going to take care of them, and I had my screens to my screened porch blow in. Since we were going on vacation down here, I had already cleaned out the refrigerators pretty much.

Today we hear that the temp in Maryland is going to be 104:eek: Down here it is only 90. So, come to Florida to cool off.;)

My daughter lives in Plantation and she has been razzing me all week. Cooler in Florida than here by a long shot. Blessings.

Pumbaamd
July 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Just back from our 2nd visit to Port St. Lucie looking for retirement property. It was great to finally visit Carol and Kent at C&J's home and the great dinner that followed. Thanks C&J again for your wonderful hospitality and Carol and Kent for being with us.
C&J and we enjoyed a short but very, very fun MN cruise last weekend. Sooo much fun, that we all booked again for 8/24 on MN and are also again in adjacent cabins.
This Florida life looks good, hope to make the move in 2013.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM
We'll have to start a Terp Cruiser relocation club.:D

Pumbaamd
July 13th, 2012, 05:48 AM
We'll have to start a Terp Cruiser relocation club.:D
Yes, we can have our meetings at Conchy Joe's!

rafinmd
July 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Just back from our 2nd visit to Port St. Lucie looking for retirement property. It was great to finally visit Carol and Kent at C&J's home and the great dinner that followed. Thanks C&J again for your wonderful hospitality and Carol and Kent for being with us.
C&J and we enjoyed a short but very, very fun MN cruise last weekend. Sooo much fun, that we all booked again for 8/24 on MN and are also again in adjacent cabins.
This Florida life looks good, hope to make the move in 2013.
Rick and Deirdra

Looks like you really like the Monarch, Actually I just booked it for December, will be the 3rd ship I book in it's final season (After SS Rotterdam and QE2). This will be almost B2B with Celebrity Summit for my nephew's wedding.

Meanwhile, I leave Monday for a short cruise with my favorite small ship company.

Roy

Pumbaamd
July 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Looks like you really like the Monarch, Actually I just booked it for December, will be the 3rd ship I book in it's final season (After SS Rotterdam and QE2).
Roy
Yes, we enjoy Monarch and Majesty (and previously Empress). The advantage on the smaller ships is that you get to know the staff and crew much better, and also fellow pax, and make new friends to sail with again. We've had the same cabin attendants, wait and bar staff, other staff and crew, many times. It's always a great pleasure to sea them again!
Rick and Deirdra

Annieeee
July 21st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Hi,

Hope everyone is well.

I am doing good, adjusting and still loving life. Hope everyone is having a good summer, and boy it sure has been a hot one.

Pumba, when is your TA?

Hope everyone is staying cool.

Annieeee

Pumbaamd
July 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Annieeee,
Great to sea you on this site again!
We've been to Port St. Lucie twice this spring/summer to visit Cindy and Carol KC. While there, we checked out the real estate and have contact with a realtor there. A major move within a year looks good for us. Also took a MN and a MJ shorty while in Florida.
Our Brilliance Baltic/TA has been cancelled. The other party that was to sail with us had some medical issues and without them the trip would not have been the same. We took a small hit on the airfare, but all in all, we made the right decision.
Hope you continue to sail when possible and keep posting when you can.
Take care,
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Annieee...so good to see you posting again. When I get back to MD, would you like to meet for lunch over in your area and check out the Amish market that is next to our golf center on Fridays and Saturdays?

Deidra...in your home search, look at The Lakes in Tradition. They have cute houses and a wonderful community pool, tennis courts, gym etc., but the prices are much lower than here in PGA...Tradition is a brand new area and only a 2 miles up 95 from me and in PSL. Since you aren't into golf, I think it would be a perfect area for you. They have many different developments, but my friends have a house there so I know how nice the community amenities are. It's a gate community.

Right now we have a huge thunder storm under way. Earlier it was just raining a bit on and off and I went out in the pool to swim my laps in the rain. The pool water is really warm, so it was completely comfortable and with no lightening in the area I felt safe to do it. Now, no way would I go out to swim.

Pumbaamd
July 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
Carol, many thanks for the Tradition info. We'll check it out.
R&D

CAC104
July 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
My oldest son Jim went home from Florida on Sat. and gave us the good news that all is well with our MD house. My yard company came and removed all large limbs that came down, and nothing in the house is leaking, etc. We were a little worried that the huge winds might have loosened shingles and that we could have a leak that no one could see from the outside, but all is well.:)

Pumbaamd
July 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Carol,

Don't be in a big hurry to come back to Maryland. Calling for 102 degrees Thursday!
We will be back in FL for a shorty MN cruise with C&J and our MIA friends on 8/24.

Off topic, but interesting, Legend of the Seas is coming to Port Everglades for the 2013-14 winter season. We and friends are looking to book Legend's 12/12/13 11 day extreme Southern Caribbean cruise on board MN 8/23. It's an extremely outstanding itin!!!

Best to Kent!

Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I love the southern cruises. Being that I like to snorkel, the water and snorkeling is great in many of the stops.

Pumbaamd
August 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Just kinda sorta gotta get this thread movin' a bit.
Have Monarch for a shorty 8/24-8/27 for Deirdra's 8/26 birthday. Sailing with former SeaTerps Cindy and Jerry and also good friends from MIA.
Still searching for a single family home in Port St. Lucie. Our realtor Carol sends us listings almost daily. Hoping for a spring 2013 move from MD to FL.
Need some rain here. Hope it comes tomorrow.
R&D

buckirj1
August 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Hi folks. I'm from Howard County, and am *this* close to booking the Enchantment in October, unless I chicken out. It isn't the cruise I want, but this one is much less expensive and fits my schedule better. I'm hoping sailing from Baltimore will mitigate some of my misgivings.

Roy, if you're not off travelling these days, can you offer any advice about the best way to get to the Baltimore port, please? I thought of taking the local bus from the Mall to the airport, then light rail downtown. The trouble is that doesn't get you very close to the port. Would a commuter bus and transfer be better? I'll have managable luggage, but don't want to schlep it more than a half-mile or so, especially since I won't know where I'm going. Thank you for any help you (or anyone else) can provide/.

rafinmd
August 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Rita, a woman after my own heart. I may have things a bit easier but here's what I do. I take the 150 bus into Baltimore, but I think the closest you can get to that is at Long Reach Park and Ride. Perhaps one of the commuter buses to Baltimore (I'm not sure exactly how close to your neighborhood they go). In downtown I take the number 1 bus which goes to Fort McHenry. There's a McDonalds in front of a shopping center on Fort Avenue. I'll get off there, have a cup of coffee, and then head to the port to drop off my bags perhaps 9:30. You can board about noon. In the time between bag dropoff and boarding I've once paid a visit to the Baltimore Symphony show house (It happened to be in the inner harbor) and the other time stopped at Ft. McHenry. The Museum of Industry and the American Visionary Art Museum are a couple of other options. If you did not want to leave home as early as the commuter busses you could take the Silver bus to BWI and Light Rail into the City. It connects with the Fort McHenry bus near Lexington Market.

Google Maps has McDonalds (825 East Fort Avenue) to the pier (2301 East McComas Streeet) as .6 miles. Basically walk towards the Fort until you cross over Key Highway, then either down the stairs or there's a probably better street connection 100 yards further down Fort Avenue, and Key Highway will take you right to the dock.

The Airport Shuttle appears to be offering a much easier option with a shared shuttle to the port for $33 each way from my house. I'm going to try that when I sail the Pride next winter on a Sunday when the commuter buses aren't running.

Which itinerary are you considering on the Enchantment?

Roy

CAC104
August 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi folks. I'm from Howard County, and am *this* close to booking the Enchantment in October, unless I chicken out. It isn't the cruise I want, but this one is much less expensive and fits my schedule better. I'm hoping sailing from Baltimore will mitigate some of my misgivings.

Roy, if you're not off travelling these days, can you offer any advice about the best way to get to the Baltimore port, please? I thought of taking the local bus from the Mall to the airport, then light rail downtown. The trouble is that doesn't get you very close to the port. Would a commuter bus and transfer be better? I'll have managable luggage, but don't want to schlep it more than a half-mile or so, especially since I won't know where I'm going. Thank you for any help you (or anyone else) can provide/.
Why don't you just drive to the port? They have a big parking lot right by the ship.

buckirj1
August 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Wow! That's great information, Roy. Thanks so much. I'm used to taking the local bus to the Amtrak station and the airport, and the commuter bus to DC, but what I don't know about getting around in Baltimore would fill several volumes. I might take a morning to do a dry run to see how it works. And I'd completely forgotten about the Airport Shuttle from the airport. I think it's about the same price as a cab, but I like the fact that the Shuttle is a shared ride. I don't think I'd pay for the service to/from my house unless embark or debark happened on a weekend.

I haven't booked the Enchantment's Canada/NE itinerary, but will probably make up my mind for sure by mid-week. I just KNOW as soon as I do, the NCL cruise I really want will drop to an acceptable level!

buckirj1
August 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Why don't you just drive to the port? They have a big parking lot right by the ship.

That's a fair question. I dislike driving, especially when I don't know where I'm going. I also like to do my part to keep fewer vehicles on the road. Mostly, though, I just like taking public transportation of all sorts. Makes a hick like me feel like a city girl:p

rafinmd
August 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Wow! That's great information, Roy. Thanks so much. I'm used to taking the local bus to the Amtrak station and the airport, and the commuter bus to DC, but what I don't know about getting around in Baltimore would fill several volumes. I might take a morning to do a dry run to see how it works. And I'd completely forgotten about the Airport Shuttle from the airport. I think it's about the same price as a cab, but I like the fact that the Shuttle is a shared ride. I don't think I'd pay for the service to/from my house unless embark or debark happened on a weekend. I see the Enchantment New England cruises are Thursday to Friday so public transit

I haven't booked the Enchantment's Canada/NE itinerary, but will probably make up my mind for sure by mid-week. I just KNOW as soon as I do, the NCL cruise I really want will drop to an acceptable level!

Just to clarify, the Airport Shuttle is between home and port. That service used to be quite expensive but recently they've revised their pricing with pretty much the same prices to go to the port, Penn Station or BWI. Like you, I'm more likely to to use public transit but have pretty much chosen them for the Carnival Pride, which is Sunday to Sunday, and also for my mid-winter Enchantment sailing. Last time on Enchantment though I did something that looked nice but I won't repeat it. I took a cab to Camden station for the last MARC train to Dorsey. While it worked, the cab was almost as expensive as the Airport Shuttle and there's no good place to wait for the bus at the MARC station.

As you suggested, I did take a dry run on the 150 bus before the first time I sailed from the port. I think it's a real benefit.

I'd really encourage you to try the Enchantment. It's well down my list of choices in cruise lines but a very pleasant experience from Baltimore and I think always a plus to have a first hand knowledge of all your options.

Roy

rafinmd
August 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I just noticed you've sailed Enchantment of the Seas before. How long ago, and what was it you were not happy about?

Roy

Annieeee
August 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hello,

Just popping in to say Hi and bye. I leave in a couple of days for London, staying there till Sunday and then take the RCI shuttle to Harwich where I will board the Jewel for its 12 night Baltic cruise, then staying onboard for the trans atlantic back to Boston.

I will catch up with you when I return.

Anniee

rafinmd
August 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Hello,

Just popping in to say Hi and bye. I leave in a couple of days for London, staying there till Sunday and then take the RCI shuttle to Harwich where I will board the Jewel for its 12 night Baltic cruise, then staying onboard for the trans atlantic back to Boston.

Anniee

Have a wonderful B2B.

Roy

CAC104
August 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Annieee have a great cruise! I hope when you get back we can meet for lunch or coffee and you can tell me all about your adventures.

Bowie MeMe
August 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Slow slow thread these days. I hope that means that everybody is off cruising. We just got back from mountains and grandkid so still grinning. Asia trip is moving along. Finally got the tickets for intra China flights. That was difficult because of the web sites and credit cards etc. Consolidators did not have the set of flights that I wanted. Felt like I really was smart to get it figured out.:p Happy Labor Day to all and may you survive the political speeches and hot air (if the hurricane doesn't get them)/

rafinmd
August 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Slow slow thread these days. I hope that means that everybody is off cruising. We just got back from mountains and grandkid so still grinning. Asia trip is moving along. Finally got the tickets for intra China flights. That was difficult because of the web sites and credit cards etc. Consolidators did not have the set of flights that I wanted. Felt like I really was smart to get it figured out.:p Happy Labor Day to all and may you survive the political speeches and hot air (if the hurricane doesn't get them)/

Not yet, but I leave home Sunday. Set sail on QM2 transatlantic Tuesday and then 39 out of 75 nights on the Crystal Symphony on 3 different cruises. Some of the people on my QM2 roll call are in Florida and coming to NYC a few days early to be sure to be ahead of Isaac.

Is your time in China before your cruise?

Roy

amyk757
August 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Not cruising yet, but gearing up. Roll call thread and excitement definitely building. Getting excursions worked out.

Amy

Bowie MeMe
August 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Yes Roy we have 12 days land tour which I planned and it is before the cruise Bangkok to Beijing. I first wanted the Oct. 7 cruise BJ to Bangkok but we like to do before rather than after activities. Before would be Golden Week in China and the thought of EVEN MORE tourists and locals trying to see what I wanted to see was daunting. Long cruise so that by the time Diamond get back to Beijing it would be Nov. 11. Checking the globe you see that BJ and Syracuse NY pretty much same place on globe so thought it too cold to enjoy outside sights. Besides add in that the cheapest and fastest way to Bangkok or BJ is the Dulles non-stop United flight at 14 hours 1 minute. I'll let you know how it goes. Really excited about this one. Taking seriously the "go while your body still can".

CAC104
August 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I only wish.....I haven't posted because I haven't had anything much to say. We are pretty much stuck at home now with just a usual day to day routine. School starts in my county next week, and I have a sub job booked already for next Friday. I am actually looking forward to getting some more jobs.

Bowie MeMe
August 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Bless you subs! Life would be tough without you. Babies would have to stay unborn (:eek: ) and people unmarried and etc. Some folks did not get the memo to have personal life in the summer break. Oh well if you sub enough maybe can pull off a cruise in the sunshine this winter.

Sanatee
August 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Wow, the drought is over after our 4+ inches in Southern MD over the weekend! No major problems though. Hope you FL dwellers are as lucky.

We just booked the Celebrity Reflection's Inaugural TA from Barcelona to Miami, 18 Nov to 1 Dec. Wonder if any other folks from this thread are on the cruise. We've joined the Celebrity CC roll call and our looking forward to our first TA. Also excited about being on Celebrity's newest.

CAC104
August 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Bless you subs! Life would be tough without you. Babies would have to stay unborn (:eek: ) and people unmarried and etc. Some folks did not get the memo to have personal life in the summer break. Oh well if you sub enough maybe can pull off a cruise in the sunshine this winter.
I laughed when I read this because I actually used my sub money for vacations and cruises. But, I am lucky because I don't stay up north anymore in the winter.

I actually love being able to sub. It is the best part time job you can have where you can come and go as you please without any consequences. I just list days I am not available, and then don't get any phone calls at 5:45 in the morning.:D

Pumbaamd
August 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hello,
Anniee

Annieeee . . .
Have a really great time. You have a really great time coming up. We love Jewel and your itin. Enjoy!!!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
August 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hello SeaTerps . . .
Just back this afternoon from Monarch and the Bahamas. Three days to no where, as the Nassau port was closed and Coco Cay was closed. But no matter, we've been there umpteen times, and had great fun onboard with many, many friends. Rain and high seas in the Bahamas, added a nice atomsphere to the cruise. MN added many activities to keep us busy. Live music all over the ship in the daytime. Also some afternoon live comedy shows. All kinds of activities in the Centrum daily. Schooner bar area kept busy with trivia and games. Boleros also a hot spot. We've given kudos to the MN crew for years, and will continue to do so as they really stepped up to the plate on this cruise!
Kinda tricky docking in Port Canaveral this a.m. Rough seas, 50mph winds, thunder/lightening and tornados nearby. Heard a new (to us) emergency announcement this morning when the Captain announced "Echo Echo Echo, deck four". Extra hands and lines were needed as the winds were so high that additional lines were needed to secure MN to the pier. And connecting the boarding ramp to the ship took additional time and effort.
As we never visited any foreign ports, there were no custom or immigration procedures at the pier. Will be back on Monarch for Christmas.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
August 27th, 2012, 10:59 PM
The last minute price on the Monarch for this weekend went down to $109.00 for an outside, so I hope you got a good deal. My son has heard from friends in PSL and the roads are all under water from all the rain.

rafinmd
August 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Just FYI, I'm off today on QM2 for a group of closely spaced cruises
Today QM2 TA
9/5 Crystal Symphony TA back to NYC
9/30 Crystal Symphony Gulf of St. Lawrence out of Montreal
10/31 Crystal Symphony Panama Canal NYC to LAX

I'll be posting on these voyages here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695405&page=99

and:

http://crystalautumntrio.wordpress.com

Roy

CAC104
August 28th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Have a great time Roy. Looks like a very interesting autumn for you.

Bowie MeMe
September 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM
We had a big wind and about 1/2 inch of rain in my part of Bowie but no big damage. A couple of miles away they were hit harder. I know we have had enough rain to make us mow the yard -- it looked like early spring.

Hope everybody is in a good way. Bt.

Pumbaamd
September 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Our power blinked several times yesterday but it never completely went off. Many here in PG county near National Harbor lost power with some of it restored this morning. We were fortunate.
Rick and Deirdra

Bowie MeMe
September 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hey Roy. Will you adopt me? that fall cruising schedule looks wonderful. Great days at sea for you!!

bethm214
September 13th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Hi,
Parker and I live in Joppa and we love cruising too! I see the thread started way back in 2004 about the same time I found CC, but I don't remember ever seeing it before. Up until now, I have mainly cruised Carnival. However, they are making some major financial decisions that are negatively affecting my desire to continue to be a repeat cruiser with them. Anyone else feeling the same?
We are booked for a 12/9/12 sailing of the Pride out of Baltimore. Got a balcony cabin for just over $500 per person yesterday (total price). Anyone else on this sailing with us? I joined the roll call last night, but then saw that someone mentioned there are actually 3 roll calls for the same sailing...We have about 50 folks on our thread, I am going to try to find time to scope out the others so we can do a nice CC Meet and Greet.
Thanks to the founders of the thread for gathering up us Marylanders that love to cruise!!!!
Beth

TechKnowBabble
September 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi,
Parker and I live in Joppa and we love cruising too! I see the thread started way back in 2004 about the same time I found CC, but I don't remember ever seeing it before. Up until now, I have mainly cruised Carnival. However, they are making some major financial decisions that are negatively affecting my desire to continue to be a repeat cruiser with them. Anyone else feeling the same?
We are booked for a 12/9/12 sailing of the Pride out of Baltimore. Got a balcony cabin for just over $500 per person yesterday (total price). Anyone else on this sailing with us? I joined the roll call last night, but then saw that someone mentioned there are actually 3 roll calls for the same sailing...We have about 50 folks on our thread, I am going to try to find time to scope out the others so we can do a nice CC Meet and Greet.
Thanks to the founders of the thread for gathering up us Marylanders that love to cruise!!!!
Beth

Welcome Beth and Parker! Glad to have you aboard. We've never sailed Carnival only RC and Celebrity.

Pumbaamd
September 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Parker and Beth,
Welcome aboard our SeaTerps thread!
You don't sea the "SeaTerps" mentioned much here, but it was our nick name when we first helped to establish this thread. We've been here since 2004 and really enjoy chatting with other Maryland cruisers.
We sail mostly on RCCL, as we receive many good bennies for our long time relationship with them. However, our only RCCL cruise out of Baltimore was the Grandeur repo in 2006, Baltimore to New Orleans via the southern Caribbean for 13 days.
Again, great to sea you!
Rick and Deirdra

bethm214
September 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Nice to see a thread still be so active since 2004! I believe that is the same year I joined CC.

I have forgotten how to mark threads so I get notified when someone replies after a post I put up. Can someone remind me of that?

Our next cruise is such a great deal we just couldn't pass it up. If we lived in Florida, great deals seem to come about all the time...but, here in Maryland, they seem a little sparce.

We are going on the Carnival Pride, out of Baltimore, 12/9/12. For 2 of us, balcony cabin (of our selection), we are paying $1206 (includes taxes/fees). We have our last Carnival Future Cruise Certificate to use so that gives us $100 off the price and a $100 cabin credit and our Carnival stock credit gives us another $100 cabin credit. Can't do much better than that!!!

I Can Not Wait!!!!

Nice to meet you all!

Beth

rafinmd
September 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I have forgotten how to mark threads so I get notified when someone replies after a post I put up. Can someone remind me of that?

I Can Not Wait!!!!

Nice to meet you all!

Beth

A belated welcome, Beth but I'm just home from my transatlantics. I don't know if you can "be notified when somebody replies after a post I put up", but you can be notified when there's a post to a specific thread. Go to "thread tools" at the top of the page, click on the little arrow to the right, and then on "Subscribe to this thread", and select the type of notification you want.

Roy

CAC104
September 19th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Beth.....Nice to see some new posters. This thread has gotten a bit slower since some good posters moved to Florida.

Those are some really good deals out of Baltimore for Dec. You really can't beat the Carnival prices, but I am Diamond on RC and get the extra perks that I love. Right now I can't make any plans to cruise because my DH isn't feeling well.

Pumbaamd
September 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hello SeaTerps . . .

Just checking in to say hello. Beth, great to have you on board.

Carol, hope to sea you and DH@PSL. We won't be there 'til mid Feb. to check things out with realtor. The Maryland vote for #7 is a big factor for us.

Enjoy this cool MD weather. It may get a bit warmer this weekend.

Take care, best to Kent.

Rick and Deirdra

Bowie MeMe
September 21st, 2012, 11:33 PM
Good to have another poster here. We are getting ready for Asia cruise in 3 weeks and have the visa and tour guide and pretty much every other thing in place. Going to be busy last weekend of Sept. our nephew is going to be performing in our church and the first weekend of Oct. our 3 yo grandson is coming for a visit while Mom lectures at Johns Hopkins and U of Md. med school. We leave 3 days after he goes. His room is the packing room so that should be interesting -- he will help I'm sure!!\

Granddaddy has just booked a Disney cruise for the family on Aug. 4 Dream. With 2 days at the World before that makes a week vacation. He has wanted to do this for a long time. We cruised with the girls but not Disney because they were older when Disney became a cruiseline. We love Disney and the Mouse picks our pocket very well -- 28 times to Disney since it opened (lived in Orlando for awhile:p)

CAC104
September 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Barbara....You sure have an interesting year coming up. What countries are you going to visit? Sounds like you have a very smart gal in your family.

Deidra....Are you voting for or against #7? I keep seeing so many conflicting things about this that I am confused on which way to vote.

I have run the gamut of teaching this week. Yesterday I was a special ed teacher for kindergarten and first grade, so this past week I had kids from high school down to kindergarten. I love seeing all the different ages. The little ones are so cute.

It is a nice day here so far and I hope it lasts. Our Association for Retarded Citizens runs a fund raiser where they sell little yellow ducks at $5.00 a piece. Then today they will dump all of them into a lake we have by a shopping center and the first ducks to cross the finish liine will win prizes. We bought a "quacker dozen," 13 ducks, so this afternoon after bowling we will go to see the ending of the race. They managed to sell 7000 of the ducks, so it is a great race.:D

Pumbaamd
September 22nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Carol,

So, how did the duck races go?

The major item in question 7 is the OK to build a casino at National Harbor. A backroom secret deal was made between PG County/National Harbor and MGM Casino, and efforts to get the skinny on those talks have been kept from the public. Who offered what and when? Who all took part in these discussions? Suits are pending for the info. Something stinks here. We are voting NO.

Enjoy the cooler weather. Best to Kent.

Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
September 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Carol,

So, how did the duck races go?

Like last year, they dumped the 7000 rubber duckies into the lake, and they sat there. Without a wind to blow them around and no current to carry them along it is not very exciting. Finally a few ducks separate from the water flock and they scoop them up from rowboats. We did not win any prize, but I never really expected to. I just view this as a donation to the agency.

The major item in question 7 is the OK to build a casino at National Harbor. A backroom secret deal was made between PG County/National Harbor and MGM Casino, and efforts to get the skinny on those talks have been kept from the public. Who offered what and when? Who all took part in these discussions? Suits are pending for the info. Something stinks here. We are voting NO.

Enjoy the cooler weather. Best to Kent.

Rick and Deirdra
I hate those behind closed door deals, but, some of the commercials that say why have people go and support the casinos in NJ and WVA when we could keep the money here, make sense to me. I still keep trying to find out more about this.

Pumbaamd
September 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
No, we also don't like Maryland $$$ leaving the state. There is one slots parlor in Perryville, the Arundel Mills facility, and the Ocean Downs casino. One more is planned for downtown Baltimore. Maryland is a small state. Those four places should be enough, without making secret deals for more.
R&D

Bowie MeMe
September 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yes there are other casinos in the state and yes they are making money. Why do we always draw the line at PG county and say no we will not allow them to have a casino or whatever? We would get a ton of money from VA. because it is very close to a large part of Northern VA. Besides if our politicians didn't do behind door deals there WOULD BE NO DEALS:p:D. The behind closed doors deals also I guess counts the prison bars :o:eek: Anyway, I think we deserve to build up National Harbor as a destination in the same way that Baltimore got state help for Inner Harbor and stadiums etc. Really the rest of Maryland can share the wealth a little IMHO. It ain't hurting you.

As far as behind the door deals -- nothing within a thousand miles of where I type has deals happening any other way! Not nice but that is the way it goes in American politics and every candidate who promises otherwise is just being paid by a different group of supporters/wanting certain things to happen. Until we shorten the election period, control the massive amounts of campaign funds spent and get a new ruling from the Supreme Court on campaign financing then our politicians will go to the highest bidder because otherwise they loose the election. Oh well on with Monday morning.

I just hope they have funds to counter the bad effects of gambling on people. It is addictive and a self imposed tax on people who can not afford to spend money in this way. A fool and his money------. If the question was to throw out gambling including lotteries and Catholic school bingo etc etc etc I would vote for that in a heartbeat. Especially if it was nation wide. Now that I have solved all the problems of the world:p Have a beautiful week.

Bowie MeMe
October 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Still have not gotten the ballot in the mail. It was mailed Oct. 3 so maybe tomorrow. We leave Friday for 30 days. We went to Board of Elections and they were so nice. We said we would wait until this week.

We also have had fun this weekend with 3yo grandson. He was the one who went to England and France last month. Had a great time and they found many nice playgrounds. He is a super friendly little guy and though he would ask why they "talked like Claire" (a girl in his class who spends summer in France with her grandparents and speaks both English and French {humbling:o}) he would have no problem playing with local children. He is super excited that we are going on the Disney ship Dream in Aug 2013.The web site of Disney makes dreaming fun.

Will try to post from Asia but they don't seem to like the social media much in China.

CAC104
October 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Barbara...I hope you and Walter have a wonderful time on your Asian trip. Please share some photos when you get back. Do you post on Face Book? I am on it and my contact name is Carol Silhan Cayce.

I have been paying attention to Question 7 on the ballot for us this year, and I am leaning towards voting yes. Seems to me that it will provide jobs, will bring in revenue, and maybe get more tourist money into our state. I know they are afraid that people will squander their money in the casinos, but I think those people will go other places to gamble if they are so inclined. I haven't heard of any problems arising from the Anne Arundel slot casino.

Annieeee
October 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I have been back since Sept 16th, but have been busy busy. Hope everyone is in good health and great spirits. My trip was great, lots of fun and interesting places. Think my favorites were Ireland and Iceland. But also enjoyed the excursion to Monet's Home when we docked in France. The home itself is ok but the gardens and the lily pond are gorgeous. Afterwards we had a wonderful lunch at a small restaurant right on the banks of the Seine. It was a wonderful excursion.

R&D, are you relocating to Fl?

Catch you all later.

Annieeee

CAC104
October 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hi Annieee....Nice to have you back and I am glad that you had a great cruise. If you would like to meet up in Laurel for coffee or lunch, please let me know. I would love to hear all the details of your trip.

Today I pretended to be a H.S. English teacher, and it was a really easy job. Then I came home and brought in all my potted plants from outside because we are supposed to go below freezing tonight.:eek:

TechKnowBabble
October 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Barbara...I hope you and Walter have a wonderful time on your Asian trip. Please share some photos when you get back. Do you post on Face Book? I am on it and my contact name is Carol Silhan Cayce.

I have been paying attention to Question 7 on the ballot for us this year, and I am leaning towards voting yes. Seems to me that it will provide jobs, will bring in revenue, and maybe get more tourist money into our state. I know they are afraid that people will squander their money in the casinos, but I think those people will go other places to gamble if they are so inclined. I haven't heard of any problems arising from the Anne Arundel slot casino.

I'm not sure about how I'm voting on Question 7. My inlaws said that each county has to pay funds to the casino owners or something. I need to read up on it before I make a decision. I agree about increased jobs and revenue. People will definitely just go elsewhere to spend their money.

CAC104
October 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
My husband is now looking into a lung transplant since his pulmonary fibrosis is getting worse. He is being seen over at the INOVA hospital center where they have a big lung transplant center. Before you can get on a transplant list you have to go through all kinds of tests to see how healthy the rest of the body is, so he had to schedule a heart catherization for today.

We are home right on schedule. Everything went well and the doctor said that Kent's heart is that of an athlete and had no blockage, pressures were normal and the muscle was strong. This doctor was very nice and was a golfer, so he was telling us that he had an eagle playing golf yesterday. Whenever we go to doctors that like to play golf, they are always impressed that Kent is a professional golfer. What amazes all the medical people is that Kent appears to be in really great shape and everything except the lungs are really tip top. No one can figure out why his lungs are doing so badly. (He never smoked in his life, and grew up in the country with no air pollution)

ec-cruzr
October 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this thread and decided to join in. My name is Dave and my DW Gloria and I live in Odenton, MD. We love cruising in general and especially love the convenience of the port of Baltimore. We just returned at the end of September from our second journey on the Pride and have also sailed the Enchantment from Baltimore. Looking forward to the Grandeur arriving in Baltimore next spring and the upgrade of the Pride in 2014. Our next cruise is scheduled for April for 15 days from San Francisco to Hawaii round-trip. It will be in celebration of our 40th anniversary. I look forward to more cruising as long as we both remain healthy and have the money to afford it. Actually, cruising cost less than a week's vacation on land in many places by the time you figure lodging, meals, and entertainment.

Look forward to talking with many of you.

Dave L.

CAC104
October 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hi Dave and Gloria, welcome on board!

Kent and I did a 15 day round trip Hawaii cruise back a few years and we absolutely loved it. Here is a tip....rent your own car in each port before you go. That is what we did and the car rental place was convenient to the ports. It gave us the freedom to go to so many different places all in the time frame of the port stop. We researched the ports and decided what we wanted to see and carried our own snorkel gear and we really enjoyed the freedom the cars gave us. Also, look on line for cheap tickets to the places you want to see and pre book. We saved a lot of money by doing this too. But, reserve the cars way before the cruise so they don't sell out.

TechKnowBabble
October 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this thread and decided to join in. My name is Dave and my DW Gloria and I live in Odenton, MD. We love cruising in general and especially love the convenience of the port of Baltimore. We just returned at the end of September from our second journey on the Pride and have also sailed the Enchantment from Baltimore. Looking forward to the Grandeur arriving in Baltimore next spring and the upgrade of the Pride in 2014. Our next cruise is scheduled for April for 15 days from San Francisco to Hawaii round-trip. It will be in celebration of our 40th anniversary. I look forward to more cruising as long as we both remain healthy and have the money to afford it. Actually, cruising cost less than a week's vacation on land in many places by the time you figure lodging, meals, and entertainment.

Look forward to talking with many of you.

Dave L.

Welcome Dave! We're booked on our 4th and 5th Enchantment cruise. I love the ship but am excited to try a big ship too ;)

Pumbaamd
October 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
We were very fortunate and kept our power thru most of the storm and have no property damage. Hope all the rest of you were as lucky as we were.
Take care, stay dry, be safe.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
October 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Deidra....good to hear you kept your power. Ours stayed on also, but I was prepared with a zillion flashlights and batteries and had filled up multiple water jugs and bought cases of water to be ready for it. It is nice not to have used them.

I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on a cruise ship out in the Atlantic. Some of the ships now are just waiting out at sea because they can't get back into ports.

bethm214
November 4th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I had right carpel tunnel surgery last Thursday and it was a BREEZE! If anyone in Maryland ever needs it, I HIGHLY recommend Russel Moore at the Lutherville office of Chesapeake Hand Center. It has just been so easy and pain free, I am totally amazed. And, it isn't easy to impress a nurse, but they certainly did the day of my surgery. The left hand gets done on 11/29 and I cruise next on the Pride on 12/9 - per usual, I can't wait!!!
We did lose power for 3 days with Sandy - we are water front and we did avoid major flooding.
I am voting for Q7. I want to keep the money in MD, I like table games and I support a casino near DC/VA. They are throwing up a lot of smoke with the 'school funding' ads - it confuses people unnecessarily. The MD budget is crazy under O'Malley anyway....I can't wait to see him go, unfortunately, it will probably be for him to run for President. Ugh.
I enjoy all the chatting - keep up the good work!!!
Beth

Pumbaamd
November 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM
"I can't wait to see him go, unfortunately, it will probably be for him to run for President. Ugh."

We strongly second that 'Ugh'!

Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
November 6th, 2012, 01:07 PM
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695405&page=12

Roy

CAC104
November 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Beth...I am glad that your surgery went so well, I hope that the next one will turn out as well so you will be in tip top shape to enjoy your cruise.

Roy...I read part of your post and will make time to read the whole thread later, but I am sorry that it turned out so badly for you. Cruising and storms just don't do well together.

We were at the hospital bright and early to have a procedure done for my DH that was scheduled the day the hurricane was hitting, and it was postponed by the hospital. I was happy about that because that storm was not what I wanted to drive in. We came home and he could eat, after having to be cleaned out, and then we went and voted. We only waited about 5 minutes inside the local Elementary school to cast our ballots.

rafinmd
December 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Wow, this thread had been dead for a while. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a wonderful 2013 with many great cruises.

Roy

Pumbaamd
December 31st, 2012, 07:34 AM
We spent Christmas on Monarch from Port Canaveral, just after a Freedom seven day. Both ships were beautifully decorated for the holidays and the weather was perfect. We gave ourselves wonderful Christmas gifts by booking four more cruises on board!

Happy New Year to all of our Maryland friends.

Go Redskins and Ravens!

Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
January 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Kent received a new lung on 12/27 so I have been over in INOVA Fairfax hospital everyday.http://i.123g.us/c/ejan_ny_happy/card/109529.gif

Pumbaamd
January 1st, 2013, 01:40 PM
Great news. Please give him our best. It's going to be a great New Year for you both!
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
January 1st, 2013, 02:11 PM
Great news Carol. Rick and Dierdra, are you permanently in Florida now?

Roy

Pumbaamd
January 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM
No, our plans to move south have been delayed for about a year. Not a big deal. But we are accumulating lots of US Air miles! Have a great 2013.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
January 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM
Day 5 after Kent's transplant ran into some complications. His heart started to race last night and it took them 6 hours to get it under control. But, he looks better today and got to shave. I know he wishes he could take a shower.

I spent the day with Kent, and when I came home my daughter and future daughter-in-law were in the kitchen just cooking away. I know they were making a cake and we are having pork for dinner with black eyed peas, but I haven't been back in there to keep out of their way.

We are hoping to get to be in Florida again next winter. We have gotten Cindy to move to Port St. Lucie to keep us company, and now Rick and Deidre plan on making it their new home, so we will have a Maryland chapter in Port St. Lucie.

TechKnowBabble
January 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
Day 5 after Kent's transplant ran into some complications. His heart started to race last night and it took them 6 hours to get it under control. But, he looks better today and got to shave. I know he wishes he could take a shower.

I spent the day with Kent, and when I came home my daughter and future daughter-in-law were in the kitchen just cooking away. I know they were making a cake and we are having pork for dinner with black eyed peas, but I haven't been back in there to keep out of their way.

We are hoping to get to be in Florida again next winter. We have gotten Cindy to move to Port St. Lucie to keep us company, and now Rick and Deidre plan on making it their new home, so we will have a Maryland chapter in Port St. Lucie.

Best wishes to you both for continued improvement and a fantastic new year

superduper123
January 11th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hi everyone, I just found this thread and subscribed. But I must admit, I have NOT read all the posts. :)

CAC104
January 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone, I just found this thread and subscribed. But I must admit, I have NOT read all the posts. :)
Welcome aboard! But, I have to warn you that this thread has really gotten slow recently.

For those of you who might drop in....Kent is still in the hospital and finally is starting to get better. He had a lot of complications and set backs, but things do look better.

Today I did walk into Kent's room and I got to see him looking better and he said he was able to walk down the hall quite far. But, I only could stay from 11- 1:00 because the hospital is restricting all visiting because of the flu epidemic, and visiting is limited to family members, no more than two and only during these hours.

rafinmd
January 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard. I believe we were on the Jewel together (1 year ago tomorrow). This thread definitely needs some new blood.

Carol, great news on Kent. Do continue to steer clear of the flu.

Roy

Pumbaamd
January 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Superduper,
Welcome aboard our Maryland thread. Nice to have another SeaTerp posting. We use the term 'SeaTerp' once in a while as we were looking for a mascot or name many years back.
Yes, it's been slow here lately. Let's hope things pick up a bit.
We have several cruises booked and we will have a busy year ahead. Next up, we go to NOLA for Mardi Gras and Super Bowl week and sail on Navigator for seven days.
Thanks for joining our thread!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
January 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Carol,

Great news about Kent. Walking all the way down the hall, that's outstanding! Please give him our very best.

We had planned to visit and Cindy and Jerry, and the realtor in mid-Feb. However, as we believe you know, our Florida plans have changed. Might make the move in 2014.
So, we were stuck with airfare and it's costly to change with US Air, as most others.
Solution: We have a Monarch B2B booked 2/18 - 2/25. That was easy!

Happy New Year to you and Kent!

Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
January 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Roy,
Looks like you have a busy cruise schedule lined up for 2013 also. Best to you for the New Year and hope all your trips are wonderful and your seas are calm (unless you like the once in a while rough seas, as we do).
Take care and have fun!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
January 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM
OK, we've done our part to wake up this thread a bit with our B2B2B2B messages.
Who is next to do another B2B?
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
January 12th, 2013, 07:05 AM
OK, we've done our part to wake up this thread a bit with our B2B2B2B messages.
Who is next to do another B2B?
Rick and Deirdra

Well, not technically a B2B it's 2 while I'm away. TA on Queen Elizabeth, flying across Asia (ouch) with a short interlude and TP on Crystal Symphony.

Roy

Pumbaamd
January 12th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Well, not technically a B2B it's 2 while I'm away. TA on Queen Elizabeth, flying across Asia (ouch) with a short interlude and TP on Crystal Symphony.
Roy
"Ouch" is putting it mildly. Talk about the time zones and etc., best of luck to you. Have fun!
R&D

CAC104
January 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I can't any cruise news since all I have been doing for the past two years is take care of an ailing husband:rolleyes:

How much crazier can things get? Today the doctors told Kent that he tested positve for the flu from the secretions they took from his lung. We had flu shots back in Oct. and when he went into the hospital he was completely healthy. So, either the lung had picked up the virus from the donor, or someone who has taken care of him came in with the germs. Here lies the problem....They are giving him mulitple anti rejection drugs which comprimise the immune system. You need an immune system to fight a virus, so they are giving him anti flu meds and hoping they can get rid of it. They have him in isolation and didn't want me to come into the hospital today and risk me getting it. This might explain why Kent has felt so tired and weak for the past days. This is all so very bizarre and nothing like we expected.

Right now I am watching the TV Ravens Bronco game, and typing when there isn't any action. It's overtime and the Ravens have just gotten themselves into some big trouble....well...they just got out of trouble....

Pumbaamd
January 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Carol,

So sorry to hear of Kent's set back because of the flu. This flu season is the worse that we can remember. Our neighbor had it so bad that she went to the hospital in the ambulance. Wishing the best for Kent, and please give him our best.

And how about those Ravens!

Take care,
Rick and Deirdra

AmazingJourneys
January 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I grew up in Baltimore and now I live in Germantown (Montgomery County). Where do you live?

I live in Germantown as well.

CAC104
January 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM
For those of you living in Germantown and other places close by, why don't we try to meet at someplace like the Rio Center for Coffee or something? Once Kent gets better, I will need some time off. I belong to the Sports Club at the Rio Center and really miss not being able to go for so many weeks now.

Kent looks soooo much better and he is feeling better too. They did another bronchoscope this morning and the doctors are thrilled with the way his lung is looking. So, we are keeping our fingers crossed that no more set backs occur and he can get home soon.:)

Pumbaamd
January 15th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Carol,
Thanks so very much for the great report from Kent!
Deirdra and Rick

Annieeee
January 17th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Well hello and a belated Happy New Year.

Carol, what great news on Kent, hope he continues to improve and that he is able to leave the hospital and go home to continue his recovery.

I recently was on the Oceania Regatta (November 2012) and I have to say it was the best cruise I have ever been on. The service, the food, accommodations, the ship well just everything was 5 stars. I booked a 12 night Oceania cruise for the fall. And I look forward to another excellent cruise. I do have a couple cruises also booked on the Jewel, but they are 5 night cruises. I may go on the Grandeur once she repositions back to Baltimore. I have a stateroom for the repo but I am canceling that due to other commitments.

Take care and I hope to drop in more often.

Annieeee

Pumbaamd
January 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Annieeee,
Welcome back to the board! Great to see that you are cruising again and had such a wonderful time on your last one. We leave in nine days for Navigator from NOLA and will be town for Mardi Gras and Super Bowl Sunday.
Good to hear from you again!
Rick and Deirdra

superduper123
January 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Yes, Roy that's right we did sail on the Jewel together. :)

rafinmd
January 20th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Awesome. I don't think there's anywhere I'd rather be February 3 than on the Enchantment of the Seas. Should be a real fun night.

Roy

Pumbaamd
January 21st, 2013, 06:03 AM
We will be in NOLA on Feb. 3, the day after we disembark from Navigator. We fly home at about the same time the Super Bowl starts. This flight was the only one at a reasonable price. Go Ravens!!!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
January 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM
We Marylanders should be really proud of our Ravens. I have had their logo in my siggie for years and just love that team. I couldn't possibily miss their SB. I remember watching them years ago when they won.

I had to take Kent for his scheduled visit to the lung center today. They x-rayed him, stole his blood, examined him and did rehab, so we totally missed the Inauguration and I had really wanted to watch it. At least we were told that everything is looking good.:D

rafinmd
January 21st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Great news, Carol. Finally, light at the end of the tunnel.

Roy

Pumbaamd
January 22nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Carol,

Thanks so much for the very positive report on Kent's appointment yesterday. Please give him our best! Stay warm.

Go Ravens!

Deirdra and Rick

CAC104
January 24th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Does anyone else have a salt encrusted car today? I had to drive 270 to 495 to Gallows Road in Fairfax VA to take Kent for his regular post op visit and I really think they put more salt on the highways than the amount of snow that fell from the sky. My car is a mess and I know they won't open the car wash places until the temperature goes up a bit.

TechKnowBabble
January 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Does anyone else have a salt encrusted car today? I had to drive 270 to 495 to Gallows Road in Fairfax VA to take Kent for his regular post op visit and I really think they put more salt on the highways than the amount of snow that fell from the sky. My car is a mess and I know they won't open the car wash places until the temperature goes up a bit.

yup....looks particularly wonderful on our steel blue car

Pumbaamd
January 25th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hello to all our frigid SeaTerp friends. Another cold, icy, bit of snow day here. Will be getting warmer for us tomorrow as we leave in the a.m. for NOLA and Navigator. NOLA will be a fun town as Mardi Gras and Super Bowl are happening. We will sea a bit of both before and after the cruise.
Carol, hoping Kent's last visit went well and that you all are keeping warm in this very cold January weather. Maybe someday we all will be together in PSL with Cindy and Jerry!
Stay warm,
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
January 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Rick and Deidre....I wish you calm seas and sunny skies for your cruise, and lots of beads for Mardi Gras!:)

Today I went down to pick up the paper at the end of the driveway and on the way back managed to hit some ice and took a pretty hard fall. I could feel myself start to fall and managed to turn so that I landed on my side and didn't break anything. The funny thing was the patch of ice made it impossible for me to stand back up, so I had to crawl up the driveway until I hit a spot with no ice so I could get my feet back under me. I came in and took two Advil and laid down and now only my wrists hurt. It could have been a lot worse, but I had a lot of clothes on since it has been so cold.

Pumbaamd
February 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Just back from NV. Still in NOLA. Had a fun time @ Mardi Gras last night!
R&D

madelinerose
February 5th, 2013, 05:32 PM
oops

madelinerose
February 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM
oops

Sorry, meant to say - R A V E N S !!!

Pumbaamd
February 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Sunny and 58 degrees here yesterday, beautiful day! This a.m. in the 30's with snow/rain showers, complete turnaround from yesterday. Should be in the low 20's and clear when we fly out Monday a.m. for seven days on Monarch.
Rick and Deirdra

hmsdos
February 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Sunny and 58 degrees here yesterday, beautiful day! This a.m. in the 30's with snow/rain showers, complete turnaround from yesterday. Should be in the low 20's and clear when we fly out Monday a.m. for seven days on Monarch.
Rick and Deirdra

Glad to see you "about" ;)

Weatherman is turning on a big fan so it isn't too hot for boarding :D

Pumbaamd
February 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks HMSDOS! Frosty greetings from Maryland. Do we BYOP (bring your own pen)? And we do have a fridge. Sea you soon!
Rick and Deirdra

hmsdos
February 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks HMSDOS! Frosty greetings from Maryland. Do we BYOP (bring your own pen)? And we do have a fridge. Sea you soon!
Rick and Deirdra

From our warm 49 degrees.... answers are; yes, yes YES....and don't forget paper ;)

Pumbaamd
February 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Have a safe ride today. Sea You tomorrow!
R&D

rafinmd
February 17th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Have a safe ride today. Sea You tomorrow!
R&D

Bon Voyage!

Roy

Pumbaamd
February 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Roy,
Thanks!
R&D

rafinmd
February 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I just watched Rick and Dierdra sail away on the Monarch on the Port Canaveral webcam. 3 nice toots as they passed by the camera.

Roy

CAC104
February 18th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I wish I could be sailing away now too!

Pumbaamd
February 25th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hello SeaTerps . . .

Especially to Carol and Roy!

Yes, we had a great time on Monarch for seven days. Sailing out of Port Canaveral is so easy. No MIA or FLL traffic. Clean and simple.

Lots of talk on MN about the last sailing on 3/29. We'll be there.

Had a fun surprise tonight after arriving home from MN. The Nationals were playing the Mets live on TV from Port St. Lucie and the Nats won!

Thanks for posting, Roy. Glad you were watching!

Carol, please give our best to Kent!

Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
February 26th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Hello SeaTerps . . .

Especially to Carol and Roy!

Yes, we had a great time on Monarch for seven days. Sailing out of Port Canaveral is so easy. No MIA or FLL traffic. Clean and simple.

Lots of talk on MN about the last sailing on 3/29. We'll be there.

Had a fun surprise tonight after arriving home from MN. The Nationals were playing the Mets live on TV from Port St. Lucie and the Nats won!

Thanks for posting, Roy. Glad you were watching!

Carol, please give our best to Kent!

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks. By the way, I'm in Port Canaveral tomorrow, 7-6, visiting Kennedy Space Center.

Roy

Pumbaamd
February 27th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Roy, enjoy the Space Center!
R&D

michelle1836
February 27th, 2013, 09:18 AM
good morning fellow Marylanders! recently booked the Carnival Liberty to the western caribbean. looking forward to some new ports

Pumbaamd
March 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Hello Maryland SeaTerps, where is everyone?
We are getting ready for our shorty cruise on Monarch of the Seas on the 29th. It's her final sailing with RCCL. She is leaving the fleet and will get a new life with Pullmantur, another RCI company.
Lots of special events are planned for her final cruise, and our 8th time on her. We've sailed on Oasis and Allure, most of the Voyager class ships, and other larger vessels. However, we've had just as much fun on older, smaller Monarch as on any other ship.
Anyone else sailing soon?
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
March 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM
What will you do when Monarch leaves the fleet? Majesty? Enchantment? Something else? I wish when Majesty leaves the fleet Royal would do what Cunard did with QE2 and send her on a final cruise ending in her new home.

I'm about ready for one of my oddest trips ever. I board QE March 30th (my first time on her) for a transatlantic, fly from London to Kobe Japan with a 3-day stop in Angkor Wat, and then Crystal Symphony to Russia, Alaska and Vancouver.

Roy

Nymue
March 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Happy St Patty's Day everyone! Does anyone know what ship is replacing the Monarch?

Anne

Pumbaamd
March 17th, 2013, 06:07 PM
What will you do when Monarch leaves the fleet? Majesty? Enchantment? Something else? I wish when Majesty leaves the fleet Royal would do what Cunard did with QE2 and send her on a final cruise ending in her new home.

I'm about ready for one of my oddest trips ever. I board QE March 30th (my first time on her) for a transatlantic, fly from London to Kobe Japan with a 3-day stop in Angkor Wat, and then Crystal Symphony to Russia, Alaska and Vancouver.

Roy

Roy, Your around the world trip sounds very cool! Congrats on such an exciting plan!

We have a couple of Enchantments booked, as well as Majesty's final cruise, who's date is subject to change. And some others, as in our signature below.

Have fun on your world-wide adventure!

Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
March 17th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Happy St Patty's Day everyone! Does anyone know what ship is replacing the Monarch?
Anne

Enchantment will take her place, starting a bit later in April. And Grandeur will return to take Enchantment's spot in Baltimore.
Rick and Deirdra

Nymue
March 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Oh....we love the Grandeur, it will be wonderful to have her sailing out of Baltimore! We are big Princess fans, but the Grandeur can bring us back to RC.

Thanks, Anne

Enchantment will take her place, starting a bit later in April. And Grandeur will return to take Enchantment's spot in Baltimore.
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
March 18th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Roy, Your around the world trip sounds very cool! Congrats on such an exciting plan!

We have a couple of Enchantments booked, as well as Majesty's final cruise, who's date is subject to change. And some others, as in our signature below.

Have fun on your world-wide adventure!

Rick and Deirdra

How did you book Majesty's final cruise, without the end date being set. Is there a waiting list? Can anyone book it or are there restrictions on C&A level?

Also, on my earlier travels that involved more than one cruise line I've set up a thread under something like "Cruise blogs and web sites". Since this is now technically a forum, although there's only one active thread, does it sound reasonable for me to start up a new thread on this forum?

Roy

CAC104
March 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Roy
Roy...You certainly get to take the most interesting trips. I hope you have a wonderful time. Do you post your photos on any site you could share with us?

No cruising for me, but if Kent's medical tests come out all right this week and next they will let us go down to Florida for a few weeks. I sure could need some nice sun and warm weather...not to mention some beach time.

Deidre...When do you have your Majesty cruise booked? I sure hope to be able to cruise again, and I have a gal pal in Florida just dying for me to be able to share a cabin again.

I have sailed on the Enchantment, but not the Grandeur. What are the differences between the ships? Which one do y'all prefer?

Pumbaamd
March 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM
How did you book Majesty's final cruise, without the end date being set. Is there a waiting list? Can anyone book it or are there restrictions on C&A level?
Also, on my earlier travels that involved more than one cruise line I've set up a thread under something like "Cruise blogs and web sites". Since this is now technically a forum, although there's only one active thread, does it sound reasonable for me to start up a new thread on this forum?
Roy

Roy, April 28, 2014, is the last MJ cruise currently scheduled. The C&A LA on MN booked this for us. He said that this date may change. If so, we'll just move our reservation. Also we met the MJ C&A LA on Coco Cay, and he told us the same thing. It's not a C&A thing, it's open for booking for everyone. We also have another cruise that month, Adventure for 7 days from Miami. We can't due both, one will be cancelled. At this time, we are leaning towards Adventure.
As far as starting a new thread on this forum, those other two have not been successful, and this one we are currently chatting on is not all that busy. But, if you want to, go for it and good luck!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
March 19th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Carol,
April 28, 2014, is scheduled as MJ's final cruise. But that could change as we explained above in Roy's message. We also have another cruise that month, Adventure for 7 days from Miami. We can't due both, one will be cancelled. At this time, we are leaning towards Adventure.
As far as Grandeur/Enchantment, they both have recently been "revitalized". We haven't been on either for a few years. What ever difference there is in the two, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us. We have EN in June, and will let you know about that cruise.
Best to Kent for the next two doctors visits. Hope you get the green light to spend some time in Florida. Please tell him we said HI!
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
March 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Roy...You certainly get to take the most interesting trips. I hope you have a wonderful time. Do you post your photos on any site you could share with us?

No cruising for me, but if Kent's medical tests come out all right this week and next they will let us go down to Florida for a few weeks. I sure could need some nice sun and warm weather...not to mention some beach time.

Deidre...When do you have your Majesty cruise booked? I sure hope to be able to cruise again, and I have a gal pal in Florida just dying for me to be able to share a cabin again.

I have sailed on the Enchantment, but not the Grandeur. What are the differences between the ships? Which one do y'all prefer?

Carol, I don't post a lot of pictures but some are published as part of the entries in my blogs. I will set up a specific blog site for some of my major trips like the one coming up. That one will be at http://angkorwatmyway.wordpress.com/. For the more conventional trips, starting with my recent cruises on the Enchantment and Carnival Pride, I am using http://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com.

I've never been on the Grandeur, but have been on Enchantment 3 times, twice before and once after the latest drydock. It is the only Vision class that has been stretched, which has both some good and some bad. The latin lounge Boleros is very nice as are the extra deck space, the pool bar, and flying bridge over the streched insert. The downsides are that the theater and WJ probably get a little more crowded than with the other Vision class ships. The differences grew a bit wider with the drydock as the Enchantment refits seem to have been customized for shorter cruises. They moved some facilities like the C&A desk and library to the area near the front desk and put new cabins into the space. Chops is the Enchantment's only specialty restaurant, probably because Royal didn't see a big demand for multiple specialty restaurants on 3 and 4 day cruises. Grandeur has Chops and at least a Giovannis. I think Enchantment is well suited to her new role and Grandeur will do Baltimore proud. Enchantment will also keep her current Captains. Gus Andersson is by far the best Captain I've seen on RCI and one of my 3 or 4 overall favorites. I haven't seen his relief, Sean McDuff but have heard excellent things about him.

Roy

rafinmd
March 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Rick and Dierdre, just in case you get internet access before leaving, have a great farewell cruise on the Monarch. I watched the ship come in this morning and will try to watch the farewell tonight.

Rot

CAC104
March 30th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Just when we thought we were Florida bound, we got called by the lung hospital that Kent's lung biopsy came back with an antibiotic resistant bacteria. He doesn't feel sick, and it doesn't show up in the blood tests, but we had to go back to the hospital on Monday and they installed a PICC line again, and he has to have intravenous antibiotics for two weeks. He had the first dose in the hospital and then on Tuesday the visiting nurse came and gave him the second, and taught me how to do it. So, I now can give intravenous treatments. Kent is doing so well and felt so good that it is hard to believe he had that bacteria in his lung.

No telling when we are going to get to go south for a while:(

Anyway, I hope everyone has a Happy Easter.

rafinmd
May 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, this thread has been dead. Carol, I hope Kent's recovery is continuing. I've embarked on another trip, boarding Blount's Grande Caribe tomorrow, New Orleans to St. Petersburg.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845662

Roy

Pumbaamd
May 19th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Roy,
Enjoy your next adventure!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
May 23rd, 2013, 10:56 PM
We've been following the progress of RCCL's new Quantum. At first, we wanted to book the maiden voyage, as we did on Oasis and later on Allure. However, RCCL is playing games with their loyal guests. EX: Bookings open 5/28 via phone for ALL C&A members (7,000,000). D+/P get no preference. Free for All/cattle call for all C&A. No prices as yet released. Pricing to be announced when you call to book 5/28. How busy, screwed up, confused will they be that morning?
Go to the RCCL/Quantum thread here on CC, you will learn more.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=872

We decided to give up on Quantum with all the aggravation RCCL offered. Looking for another cruise at about the same time, we chose to book Jewel for Christmas and (B2B) New Year's from San Juan. With this total 14 days (B2B) we will visit the very southern Caribbean with 10 different islands on this itin. Merry Christmas/Happy New Year 2014 to us!
Seaterps, Enjoy your summer!!!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
May 24th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I just noticed that someone actually posted on this link. I had just given it up:rolleyes:

Kent is doing pretty good, and we managed to get down to Florida for two weeks in the beginning of May. But, I still am not ready to book any cruises.

Roy...I wish you calm seas and sunny skies on your next cruise. You really manage to cruise quite a bit. I wish I could just hop in your suitcase and tag along.

Last night we had a lot of rain and today it is really chilly out. It feels more like beginning April than the end of May.

On a Friday before a three day holiday weekend, the schools are never able to get enough subs to cover everyone who conveniently calls in sick, so they really keep us busy. Today I covered 5th grade, 2nd grade and 1st grade and only had some time for a quick lunch. All the teachers who come in have to cover extra classes, but the little kids are really cute.

We aren't doing anything special this weekend at all.

Pumbaamd
May 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Carol and Kent,
Great news that you all were able to spend some time in Florida. Kent must be doing much better and that is absolutely wonderful!!!
Did you get some time to spend with Cindy and Jerry? Everything OK at PGA?
Take care and best to Kent.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
May 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM
We got to see Cindy and Jerry at Church. Cindy has become really active in the Church that I first took her to, and she was in charge of a luncheon and fashion show that I was able to go to while I was there. They are very happy.

PGA is great and both Kent and I got to play golf.

bethm214
May 29th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Anyone from the list want to come play with our group of friends on the December 8th sailing of the Pride? We need a couple more cabins to guarantee our 1 hour open bar cocktail party! LOL.
We aren't doing group cruise rates - you can pick any rate you like from carnival dot com and tell our TA and she will set you up.
We are doing a $35 per person group amenity fee (2 per cabin) that will get you a welcome aboard/bon voage gift (per cabin) a $25 cabin credit (per cabin) and (hopefully) a 1 hour open bar cocktail party (2 adults per cabin). If we don't get enough for the party, we will do an additional gift or a higher cabin credit.
Please get in touch with me if you are interested.
beth m 214 at aol dot com
Happy sailing! Hope to see you aboard!

rafinmd
June 10th, 2013, 05:45 PM
For those enjoying Florida, today we had some rough weather which damaged a part of the cruise terminal roof. I'm sure it will be quickly corrected but it's a bit of a mess.

Sorry, Beth, I'll be on the Amazon when you sail.

Roy

CAC104
June 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Sorry Beth, but I'm not a big Carnival fan.

I hope they get the terminal fixed, I didn't hear about it.

This has been a crazy weather day. We get these thunderstorms and then the sun comes out. Ten minutes later the clouds and rain are back. Right now they just announced that our county is under a tornado warning, so I just told Kent and Kevin if I yell run, head to the basement.

I have had two close calls with tornados. Back in the 70s I was teaching tennis in Kentucky when all of a sudden the sky turned green...no kidding...that is a sign of tornados coming so I dismissed my class and told them to go somewhere safe. The tornado went by our area and did massive damage all across Kentucky. Then when we lived in Indiana our house was on the bottom of a hill and the tornado went right over us. It damaged the houses up on the ridge behind us, but didn't drop down to us. the only problem we had was no electricity for 10 days. But it was the summer so it was light for a long time and the kids were young, so they went to bed when it got dark and we grilled outside and I kept a cooler with ice from the store and could keep milk and stuff like that cold. During the day we went to the pool and ate lunch there, so it wasn't too bad.

Pumbaamd
June 10th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Tornado and flood warnings here in PG County tonight also. Some funnel clouds nearby, not shore of actual strikes yet. Carol, you've certainly had your experiences with wicked bad weather.
Best to Kent and Kevin!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
June 11th, 2013, 09:23 PM
It doesn't seem like the bad weather will stop. On our news tonight (NBC) they were warning us to expect storms and power outages tomorrow and Thursday. Now while I am happy that this cloudy weather makes it cooler, I am still tired of the rain.

Teknofauz
June 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi all!
Just saw this Maryland group for the first time on cruise critic. Thought I'd drop in to say "HI"!!!!! We are Joe and Nancy and we live in Bel Air. We're not natives to Maryland. Originally from Illinois and then Joe spent 24 years in the military where we happily moved around a lot. Would love to leave the high tax state of Maryland, but hate to leave the grandchildren.

We love to travel and are blessed to have done quite a bit of it.

Nancy:)

rafinmd
June 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Welcome, Nancy and Joe. This thread has been pretty dead lately, and needs some new blood. Is Joe retired now, or in private industry?

Roy

Pumbaamd
June 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome Aboard, Nancy and Joe!
Roy is correct, not too much exciting on this board. However, Roy can make it quite interesting when he does of his special cruises, such as his recent around the world trip.
We leave on Friday for seven days on Enchantment out of Port Canaveral.
Take care,
Rick and Deirdra

Teknofauz
June 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Welcome, Nancy and Joe. This thread has been pretty dead lately, and needs some new blood. Is Joe retired now, or in private industry?

Roy

Hi Roy - When he retired from the military he was hired as a contractor for a company - then left that company after about 5 years and worked for a different contractor until 3 years ago when he retired for good. I just recently quit my part-time job so we are foot loose and fancy free now. WOW - you've been on a around the world cruise - how exciting. I have a friend who was on two 130 day or so cruises and just recently came back from a 65 day cruise.

Have fun Rick and Deirdra on your Enchantment cruise! I've been on that ship a few times, but it's been awhile. We went on the Eclipse in February and loved it. That was the first time we had a room in the very back of the ship and I thought it was perfect.

Where do you all live?

rafinmd
June 16th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I've been in Columbia since 1969. Retired from Social Security Administration in 2007.

Roy

Pumbaamd
June 16th, 2013, 09:48 PM
We're way down south here in PG county right near the WW Bridge and National Harbor. Very easy access to National Airport for flights to most anywhere. And BWI and IAD are available if needed, but rarely used. We've both retired from full time employment, but have flexible part time jobs that pay for our cruise addiction!
Again, welcome Aboard!
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
June 17th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Bon Voyage, Rick and Dierdra

Roy

CAC104
June 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Dierdra and Rick....I wish you calm seas and sunny skies on your cruise! My Florida friends have told me they have been having a lot of rain, so I hope you will have the good weather.

Roy...have you posted any photos of your recent cruise?

rafinmd
June 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Carol, I don't have a photo collection as such. At https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/ there is a collection of photos at the end of each day's entry.

Roy

Teknofauz
June 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
We're taking a road trip. The first road trip that we've taken in many years. We usually always fly places. We are visiting friends in Indianapolis that use to live near us in Maryland then stopping by West Virginia on our way home for a few days. I asked Joe if he is ready to make a road trip to California - he said NO. We'll see. I think it would be fun to just take us where the road leads us. We are suppose to be on a bicycle trip now in Europe, but Joe developed tendonitis in his right arm and we had to cancel our trip. Hoping that our insurance pays!!!

rafinmd
June 18th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Nancy, have a wonderful trip. I have fond memories of Indianapolis; it was the home of my late SIL.

Roy

Pumbaamd
June 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks to All for the good wishes for our upcoming EN cruise. Don't believe I mentioned it . . . we were upgraded to a Grand Suite!
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
June 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks to All for the good wishes for our upcoming EN cruise. Don't believe I mentioned it . . . we were upgraded to a Grand Suite!
Rick and Deirdra

WOW! Enjoy!

Roy

CAC104
June 19th, 2013, 10:09 PM
A grand suite:eek: Wow! You should have called me and I would gladly have gone and slept on the couch:D

We hope to get back down to Florida later this month and stay for about 3 weeks.

Today it was 3 hours at the lung center for Kent to have the vampires suck out his blood, X-ray his insides, and measure how much air he can blow out. His coordinator said all appears to be good.

rafinmd
June 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM
A grand suite:eek: Wow! You should have called me and I would gladly have gone and slept on the couch:D

We hope to get back down to Florida later this month and stay for about 3 weeks.

Today it was 3 hours at the lung center for Kent to have the vampires suck out his blood, X-ray his insides, and measure how much air he can blow out. His coordinator said all appears to be good.

Wonderful! (other than the 3 hour part)

Roy

Pumbaamd
June 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Carol,
Hope you all have a wonderful time in PSL.
Please give our best to Kent.
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
June 20th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Roy,
Thanks!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
June 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Carol,
Hope you all have a wonderful time in PSL.
Please give our best to Kent.
Rick and Deirdra
I just hope nothing happens to mess up our plans.

Have you given any more thought to re locating to PSL?

Pumbaamd
July 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM
Just back a few days from our EN (B2B) . . . another great time. Sailed with many good friends from our Monarch cruises.

EN's doing the recent MN itin's. Many are comparing the two ships. We had just as much fun on EN as MN, but the atmosphere is a bit different. EN and MN are two different ships with two different personalities. Like a big brother vs. a little brother.

EN did nothing special on Coco Cay, but MN had hosted a great party for the top tier C&A members on the island. EN hosted a small get together on the pool deck at 9:30a.m. at Coco Cay, but it was not well received both times we were there. Who's ready for a party/reception/get together at 9:30a.m. on a 90+ degree deck? However, on the four day in the dining room, there was a very nice breakfast with Captain Shawn and his officers. Captain Shawn McDuff is very out going and a pleasure to talk with. Be fun to sea him again in August.
Anyway, our B2B was fun, met some old and new friends, and we are going back to EN 8/23 for another B2B. Also, are returning on 12/23 for B2B2B2B thru Jan. 6.
SeaTerps, stay dry.
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
July 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Welcome home Rick and Dierdre. My most recent travel has been land based, just back from a week in the Poconos with our Boy Scouts. Very lucky on the weather with 2 nights of rain while I think Baltimore got it almost continually.

Last time I was on the Enchantment (ended Super Bowl night) there was a lot of constenation on Cruise Critic about Captain Gus going on break and replaced by a newcomer. Sounds like Captain Shawn's off to a great start. Was your CD John Blair or bing-bong?

Roy

Pumbaamd
July 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Bing-Bong Marc was the CD. Chatted with him a bit, he really misses the Monarch family as many of us do. The Captain was a pleasure to speak with. He talked a lot about his family at home in Canada, wife and two teenage daughters.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
We drove through rain to Florida on Sunday and it has been raining here since. Our son Jim is home taking care of house and business, so we didn't have to go through a lot of preparing the house before we left. We are hoping to stay here for a few weeks.

Pumbaamd
July 3rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
Carol and Kent,
Enjoy your PSL getaway! Hope you can get in several rounds on the links.
Tell C&J we said "Hi!". We'll sea them 8/26 for EN. Join us?
Have Fun!
Rick and Deirdra

rafinmd
July 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Glad to hear Kent is well enough to travel.

You aren't missing much with Maryland weather. Enjoy Florida.

Roy

CAC104
July 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM
I went to the beach today and enjoyed it, although it was very rough and the water wasn't as clear as it usually is. There have been so many storms lately that the water is all stirred up. It also was much colder than usual. We did have sun all morning while I was there. My son back in Maryland said it rained there all day.

Have a Happy July 4th tomorrow. We are going to our friend's house with the usual group for an afternoon until after dinner party.

Pumbaamd
July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
Carol and Kent,
Have a great 4th!!!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Roy, enjoy your Holiday!
And to all our other SeaTerp friends . . . Enjoy the 4th!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 5th, 2013, 10:34 PM
We had a good time yesterday with lots of good food and coversation. There were 15 of us. We got home about dark and I could see the fireworks from the St. Lucie Mets Stadium from our balcony.

This morning Kent and I played 18 holes of golf and it was nice and breezy, but the humidity makes it feel hot. When we were finished, I didn't have a stitch of clothes on me that wasn't wet from perspiration. We got home and I peeled the clothes off of me and got right into a cool shower. We both just sat around for the rest of the afternoon, but it was fun to play.

I talked to Cindy today and we'll see them in Church on Sunday and then plan to meet for dinner next week and go to the beach when it looks like a nice beach day.

Pumbaamd
July 6th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Congratulations for getting in 18. Especially to Kent. Keep up your outstanding recovery!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I have been really busy here in Florida and it cuts down on my computer time. The only disappointing thing is that the ocean has been so rough. Usually in July the ocean is calm and the water like in the Caribbean. This year it is super rough with lots of rip tides. The life guards were kept busy up and down our coast yesterday. Now the news said a tropical storm has formed in the Atlantic that may turn into a hurricane and Florida is in the cone of where it might get to by Friday. NOT what we were hoping for so early in July.

Teknofauz
July 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Hi all!
It's been awhile, but I'm back. We had a great time visiting friends in Indianapolis and then stopped in West Virginia to visit my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and their family. Our friends that we visited in Indianapolis traveled here on their way to Dover so we were able to see them again and then on Saturday we'll make our way to Dover to see them again!!!

I've been spending time booking some excursions for our March 2014 cruise to South America.

My granddaughter who is 4 is spending the night here and grandpa and her are sleeping in the tent - in the basement. They were going to sleep outside, but it's TOO HOT now.

Hope all is well!!

CAC104
July 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM
There are great prices right now for a 7 night cruise from Bayone NJ with resident discounts for MD. It goes to Bermuda and I just got a great deal on a D2 cabin..Explorer of the Seas...Oct 27, 2013.

This morning at the Port of Everglades they blew up an old power plant. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=YzR8CxcdXiM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YzR8CxcdXiM)

rafinmd
July 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Welcome home Nancy.

Carol, the power plant made our (WJZ) morning news. Are you near Ft. Lauderdale now?

Roy

Pumbaamd
July 17th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Wish we were on a cruise this week:
http://wtop.com/58/3389798/Days-without-water-for-Prince-Georges

rafinmd
July 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM

I saw that on the news. I'm sorry that you're in the wrong area right now. Hope they get it fixed ahead of schedule.

Roy

CAC104
July 17th, 2013, 10:21 AM
That is just horrible! If I were home I would say come on over and stay until you have water, but we are in Port St. Lucie.

We are about 90 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale.

Pumbaamd
July 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM
We are currently in Woodbridge VA near Potomac Mills. Spent the night here after some shopping. The water situation has improved at home and the air is coming back. Will be going back this afternoon. Going to be 98. Thanks for your concerns Carol and Roy.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
We have been enjoying the breezes and temps in the mid 80s here in Port St. Lucie. Kent has played a lot of golf, and I like being in the pool. The ocean has been a disappointment this year, much too rough for me. This seems to happen every July. We are here enjoying being outside and back in MD it is high 90s or 100s. With those temps I wouldn't go out of the house at all.

rafinmd
July 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear things are improving, R&D. Carol, continue to enjoy Florida.

Roy

Pumbaamd
July 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Kent has played a lot of golf . . .

THAT'S what we like to hear!!!

Rick and Deirdra

Teknofauz
July 18th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I'm melting - it's just too hot!!!! When will it end???

Our upstairs air conditioner went out last night - thank goodness we have two units - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I called first thing this morning for repair and they can't come until Saturday because it's an upstairs attic unit and the repairmen can't work in the afternoon on those kind of units which I can understand so we have to wait until Saturday. It's a good thing we have a contract because then it would have been Wednesday for repair! Will not sleep upstairs again tonight or tomorrow night.

It seems like our spring was too cool and our summer is too hot. I really enjoy that in between time, but we didn't seem to have much of that this year.

Hope everyone is copying ok.

Pumbaamd
July 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM
In our older condo, our AC only goes so far. Right now, it's 78 in here. We can live with that, but it often gets higher during these heat spells. Looking for a getaway to the Bahamas this week, it's cooler there!!!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
We drove home from Florida yesterday with an uneventful drive, which is great. We did hit some rain storms, but no accidents on the road, so that was a blessing. Now I feel pretty whipped.

I just booked a cruise for Feb.15th that looks interesting because it goes to Caribbean ports that I have never been to, and there aren't many in that category. It is on the Celebrity Century from Ft. Lauderdale. Prices are higher than RC cruises, but I was told that Celebrity has been keeping their prices high. There are some gals from Florida going, so I have a cabin mate. I figured it would be interesting to see some other Islands.

rafinmd
July 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
We drove home from Florida yesterday with an uneventful drive, which is great. We did hit some rain storms, but no accidents on the road, so that was a blessing. Now I feel pretty whipped.

I just booked a cruise for Feb.15th that looks interesting because it goes to Caribbean ports that I have never been to, and there aren't many in that category. It is on the Celebrity Century from Ft. Lauderdale. Prices are higher than RC cruises, but I was told that Celebrity has been keeping their prices high. There are some gals from Florida going, so I have a cabin mate. I figured it would be interesting to see some other Islands.

Welcome home. Sounds interesting. One of my mantras is "every cruise is different". I'm booked on a Wind Star TA to Barbados next year and have been toying with working my way back home by ship. Both Celebrity Summit and I think Adventure OTS have cruises out of San Juan that make their first call in Barbados and return to San Juan same itinerary, a couple of days apart. I was surprised to find that in that case Celebrity was a couple hundred dollars less than Royal.

I tend to prefer Royal to Celebrity but have never been on their ships larger than the Jewel so my view is a bit skewed.

Roy

Teknofauz
July 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM

February is a really nice time to cruise the Caribbean. We took a two week cruise this past February and loved it.

We are thinking about booking a cruise out of Australlia for 2015 then it goes to Hawaii and we would possibly stay on to Alaska, just in the thinking mode now. Does anyone know if you are on a RC cruise if you can book for a Celebrity cruise? I know you can do vica versa.

CAC104
July 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I too was wondering about booking Celebrity on RC because I am cruising on the Explorer in Oct. and thought about waiting to book the Century. I am glad I didn't because the cabins are selling out fast. We took a concierge cabin, and they are all sold out now, and the prices have gone up since last week.

I have stock, and on RC I can get a discount on a balcony cabin because of that, but then no stockholder OBC. Celebrity doesn't have the stockholder balcony discount and I am wondering what kind of OBC they may offer...Does anyone know?

I just got back from INOVA Fairfax (Virginia)Hospital where I had to take Kent for his scheduled Bronchoscope and other follow up routine tests to check his lung transplant. He is feeling good, so we only expect a good report, which will be back on Friday. Its a boring day for me because I have to sit for about 5 hours while they are doing all the stuff to him. I came home a little while ago and sat down to have some iced coffee and check e mails, and now I have to get moving to go out and do errands.

Pumbaamd
July 24th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yes, you can book RCL on Celebrity and vice versa.
R&D

Barbarossa
July 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM
One of our Mancation members is from MD. He loves the state and talks often about how beautiful it is to live there. Shout out to "Maryland"!

Barbarossa- www.Mancationcrew.com

A93hokiecruiser
July 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I am originally from Baltimore, MD. I went on the May 17th Grandeur of the Seas (Baltimore - Bermuda). This was the sailing just before the one with the fire. I live in Jacksonville, FL now but since a lot of my family lives in Baltimore, I try to check those cruises too. A Canada/New England cruise is on the list but I can only take 6 business days together for my vacations so that makes it difficult.

Pumbaamd
July 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Just back yesterday from a 3-day EN shorty. Went as a surprise for our friends from Miami who had no idea we were coming. Had a great, but short time. Some rain in Nassau (it kept the heat down) but Coco Cay was fine.
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
July 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Good morning from Hampton Bays, on the end of Long Island, NY. I flew up Sunday for a family reunion and am at my brothers summer house enjoying his pool and going to the beach. This is where I spent a lot of time on vacations growing up, and I would rather live out here than in MD, but I have to come back on Thursday.

rafinmd
July 31st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Rick and Dierdre, welcome back. Carol, enjoy your family time.

Roy

CAC104
August 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
I am back in MD once more, and it is a gorgeous day! I wish we could have more like this one through out the year. It's a #10 AAAA in my rating book.:D

CAC104
August 4th, 2013, 04:33 PM
It is a really pretty day here today, so after Church son Kevin and I went to swim in a friend's pool. Days like this with low humidity and only 82 degrees are rare in Maryland in August.

rafinmd
August 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Greetings, all. I am currently on the Veendam in New Brunswick and yesterday encountered a little reminder of Maryland on the stairway coming up from the tender landing (attached).

Roy

Pumbaamd
August 20th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Roy,
Very cool!
Rick and Deirdra

Pumbaamd
August 22nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Up at 4a.m. tomorrow to make a 7a.m. flight to MCO. B2B on EN for 7 days. Rental car will get us to the port for early boarding. Cindy and Jerry will join us for the 8/26 (D's birthday) cruise.
Coming home on 8/30. 8/31 (R's birthday) we have appt.'s for our TSA GOES at BWI.
Hoping all our SeaTerps friends are having a fun summer!
Rick and Deirdra

CAC104
August 22nd, 2013, 11:19 PM
R&D...I wish you calm seas and sunny skies on your cruises! I know you will enjoy seeing Cindy and Jerry.

GD Erin and I drove back from PA this afternoon. We really enjoyed our time with my brother and family. On the way home I drive through Gettysburg and then some rolling farmland in Maryland where they have a big orchard stop. I bought peaches and home grown tomatoes. The prices were higher than what I get in the grocery store, so I hope they taste better. I also got a blackberry pie, but we didn't cut it up tonight.

rafinmd
August 23rd, 2013, 05:20 AM
Up at 4a.m. tomorrow to make a 7a.m. flight to MCO. B2B on EN for 7 days. Rental car will get us to the port for early boarding. Cindy and Jerry will join us for the 8/26 (D's birthday) cruise.
Coming home on 8/30. 8/31 (R's birthday) we have appt.'s for our TSA GOES at BWI.
Hoping all our SeaTerps friends are having a fun summer!
Rick and Deirdra

Have a great time on Enchantment.

Roy

A93hokiecruiser
August 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM
My sister and friends got a great deal on Grandeur Thanksgiving cruise. Only $600 with taxes and insurance for 10 nights!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Pumbaamd
September 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
We're closing in on 30 days here with little happening. What's everyone up to?

Our next cruise is on EN for Christmas and New Year's. On Christmas cruises we prepare bags of goodies for the crew. We do about 35 bags of Christmas candies, nuts, etc. Enough for those who serve us during the holidays, and for any staff member we sea working hard during this time and deserving of something extra. It's not an extravagant gift, but just a little something to say 'thank you' and 'Merry Christmas!'.

What are you all doing for the holidays? Anyone at sea during this time?

Take care,
Rick and Deirdra