PDA

View Full Version : How much time ship to plane?

jaal02
September 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I just booked my airline flight for my first Crystal cruise next August, 8320. I can't believe that this cruise that my husband and I have been looking forward to is actually becoming a reality. I have a newbie question. I have a few days to decide on the return flight. The Serenity docks in Civitavecchia at 5AM, the atlas states that it can take up to 5 hrs. before you are allowed to disembark, the flight is at 1:40PM. Do you think this is enough time or should we stay overnight either in Rome or at a hotel at the airport?
Thanks, Sheila

TLCOhio
September 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Italians have already conquered the world once and they are not in quite as big of a hurry as they rest of us. That's part of the reason to love Italy, its history and culture!

Had friends this spring messed up by an Italian railroad one-day strike. Given all of the hassles with travel and transportation delays these days, you need to maximize your flexibility . . . AND BE PATIENT. Our son and his wife were just back this week from 12 days in Italy. Even for mid September, things were busy, busy, busy. Next August, it will be even more crowded.

My view is that you are cutting things too close and tight. Enjoy!!!

Terry in Ohio

TLCOhio
September 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Italians have already conquered the world once and they are not in quite as big of a hurry as they rest of us. That's part of the reason to love Italy, its history and culture!

Had friends this spring messed up by an Italian railroad one-day strike. Given all of the hassles with travel and transportation delays these days, you need to maximize your flexibility . . . AND BE PATIENT. Our son and his wife were just back this week from 12 days in Italy. Even for mid September, things were busy, busy, busy. Next August, it will be even more crowded.

My view is that you are cutting things too close and tight. Enjoy!!!

Terry in Ohio

Judith02
September 28th, 2007, 06:04 PM
It is about 90 minutes from the dock to Rome. Yes, you must allow time for clearance and everything else. To be sure, call 1-800-446-6620 and speak to someone in the air/sea department. They will tell you if you have allowed enough time.

Are you buying the Crystal transfer from the ship to the airport?

jaal02
September 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yes I plan to buy the transfer to the airport. It seems like the most convenient way to get there. I'm not sure about my options if I have to stay at a hotel overnight.

jaal02
September 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you for the telephone number. I called and was told the flight time would be OK. It was explained to me...the 5hrs. actually means the time between docking and arrival at the airport. So if she is correct I should arrive at the airport around 10-11AM.
Sheila

Harry1954
October 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
I just booked my airline flight for my first Crystal cruise next August, 8320. I can't believe that this cruise that my husband and I have been looking forward to is actually becoming a reality. I have a newbie question. I have a few days to decide on the return flight. The Serenity docks in Civitavecchia at 5AM, the atlas states that it can take up to 5 hrs. before you are allowed to disembark, the flight is at 1:40PM. Do you think this is enough time or should we stay overnight either in Rome or at a hotel at the airport?Thanks, Sheila

We purchased the transfer from Crystal and our flight was about the time of yours. They handled getting us all the way to the ticket counter. IMHO, you will be fine.
harry

jaal02
October 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to book our return flt. for the same day we disembark. After reading CalTom's posts, now I'm nervous about our outbound flt. JfK to Milan to Athens on Alitalia.

Keith1010
October 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
I am just catching up on some of these posts.

You can purchase your Crystal transfers either in advance or you can make the arrangement through the concierge on the ship. Crystal will ensure that you get on a bus that will get you to the airport in plenty of time for your flight. As others have said the travel time to the airport is about 90 minutes.

I am not sure what your travel plans are to get to the port of embarkation but I highly urge that you fly in a couple of days ahead of the embarkation. In addition to providing you more time to get over the jet lag and to see the sites of the city that you are visiting it provides extra time for missed/canceled flights. We have always gone in ahead of time but think it is more important today than ever before. Delays/Cancellations of flights are at record highs and the problem will only get worse before it gets addressed.

Keith

jaal02
October 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
After reading CC I have become aware of the increasing problems with air travel. We are arriving in Athens 2 days ahead of the cruise. I'm not that concerned about missing the ship, but of lost luggage since the flt. is not non stop and going thru Milan. Delta was impossible to get a non stop between JFK and Athens using my FF points, Alitalia is one of their sky partners and was able to use my FF points.
Planning to take a taxi from the hotel to the port. Do you have a better idea?

I have very much enjoyed reading all your reports. Sorry about your air problems. I'm really looking forward to my first Crystal cruise. These CC boards are wonderful, everyone is so helpful.
Sheila

Judith02
October 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Shiela, you may try having your travel agent contact Crystal in regard to their transfers to the ship or from the ship to the airport. I don't know the transfer point in Athens, but perhaps Crystal's one way transfer (either to the ship or from the ship at the end) might be less costly and easier than a taxi.

Keith1010
October 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
After reading CC I have become aware of the increasing problems with air travel. We are arriving in Athens 2 days ahead of the cruise. I'm not that concerned about missing the ship, but of lost luggage since the flt. is not non stop and going thru Milan. Delta was impossible to get a non stop between JFK and Athens using my FF points, Alitalia is one of their sky partners and was able to use my FF points.
Planning to take a taxi from the hotel to the port. Do you have a better idea?

I have very much enjoyed reading all your reports. Sorry about your air problems. I'm really looking forward to my first Crystal cruise. These CC boards are wonderful, everyone is so helpful.
Sheila

Sheila, I have never taken Airitalia but I have met several people who do and it seems that they have a poor track record with respect to lost luggage. You might not have a choice given the issue of using FF points. I would just try to watch your connections and hopefully your connection time won't be too tight. Also, we spread items in multiple bags (I will spread similar items into multiple bags and my wife does likewise) so if we lost a bag we still have plenty of items to get us through most of the cruise.

Not sure which hotel you are using. If you are staying at a Crystal hotel, even on your own, you can purchase transfers from Crystal.

If the hotel is close I would just take a taxi or if you want the hotel could arrange for a private car to take you to the port. I think either way is fine.

Keith

shoshona2
October 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Sheila, (love your name)

We were on a cruise two years ago Athens to Athens and used the services of a wonderful taxi driver, Spiros, who picked us up at the airport and took us to our hotel. When we returned to Athens two weeks later we spent two wonderful days sightseeing with him. He comes very recommended by people on this Cruise Critic board. (Check out the "Ports of Call" section on this board for Athens).

Sheila

crystallover
October 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
We are leaving from Rome as well in a few weeks. We were told not to schedule a plane before 12 noon so I guess your 1pm flight will be fine. You'll be the first group to leave the ship. We unfornuately have a 10am flight and will stay 2 nights at a hotel half way from the airport and the city and will enjoy a day in Rome (great but an added expense). We secured a private driver to pivck us up at the ship and take us top the hotel. It is the same price as crystal shuttle...$125.00 each.

CalTom
October 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Sheila, Just returning from Athens I wouldn't worry if you have a couple days before your cruise. The airport there is very nice, only five years old, yet far from the City. If you take a taxi, which are plentiful, agree to a price BEFORE you step in the cab. Nearly everyone in Greece, especially those dealing with tourists, understand English. As others noted discuss with your TA about transfers through Crystal, who use the Grand Bretagne and InterContinental as their hotel locations.
Most of all, have a GREAT trip. You will really enjoy Crystal!

shoshona2
October 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
To Crystallover,

Why would you stay at a hotel halfway between Rome and the airport? We booked the Intercontinental at the Spanish Steps and used our American Express Points for free. If you have Marriott or Hilton points, you can do this also. This way, you can be right in the heart of Rome to sightsee. If you have been to Rome before, there is always so much more to see. Our driver will take us to some ancient sites outside of Rome on the way to the ship. I'm sure you can do the same in reverse.

Go to the "Ports of Call" section of this wonderful board for more information.

Sheila

worldover
October 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Did I miss something or did the OP inquire about Rome? Where did Athens get in the picture. Fumacino is much closer to the dock than all the way into Rome. I'm sure you can work out an earlier disembark with the people on the ship. You shouldn't have any trouble.

shoshona2
October 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hi

The original poster is taking the cruise from Athens to Rome.

Sheila

crystallover
October 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks Soshana,

We're using our Sheraton points and I hear that their is a shuttle that will take us to the center of the city and the airport.

shoshona2
October 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Hi Crystallover,

That's great!! We stayed at the NYC Marriott Marquis last October for 0 dollars for three nights and are booked with points at the Boston Marriott at the Wharf for two nights Labor Day Weekend of 2008. Both hotels are charging $500 per night.

Sheila