PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics in the Bahamas

flapr
September 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Is it possible to purchase antibiotics without prescription in Nassau?

scubagirrl
September 29th, 2007, 01:18 PM

No, you'll need a valid doctors prescriptions. Medicines are expensive in the bahamas, so I'd advise you to bring your own if you need them.

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
September 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
It may be possible for pharmacists to prescribe as well. I was able to purchase a box of antibiotics during one of my Bahamas visits. I won't say where, but it was a legitimate pharmacy.

A couple items available in the Bahamas without a prescription that requires one in the USA: Allegra and Allegra-D / cough medicine with codeine / pain relievers with codeine

In Mexico and Belize you can buy whatever you want without a prescription.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a recommendation that you attempt to bring such items back to the USA with you.

BobK/Orlando

flapr
September 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info., folks!

lindslea
April 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Correction on Mexico--you cannot purchase controlled substances there without a prescription. Nothing with codeine, not sleep aids, no barbituates, etc. You can purchase a variety of meds OTC like antibiotics, retinol, etc.

bobsfamily
April 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Our daughter contracted strep throat (my wife is a nurse) while on vacation(I think she left home with it) on GBI. We went to a pharmacy and almost got the right antibiotic, but did not know the strength and they would not just sell it without the doseage.. called stateside (our cell worked - at&t) and doctor got on the phone with pharmacy... was sold the pills (which we had to cut as there is only limited amounts) and the price was a 1/5th of what it would have been in the US... if I had to pay full price without insurance. We did not have a prescription but I guess you could say it was called in. If I was trying to pull a scam I guess I could have just had anyone talk to the pharmacy... but who would do that for an antibiotics?
She was better in a day and we did not have to fly home.. she stayed in the room for 3 days then played her heart out.

pmfan
April 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Our daughter contracted strep throat (my wife is a nurse) while on vacation(I think she left home with it) on GBI. We went to a pharmacy and almost got the right antibiotic, but did not know the strength and they would not just sell it without the doseage.. called stateside (our cell worked - at&t) and doctor got on the phone with pharmacy... was sold the pills (which we had to cut as there is only limited amounts) and the price was a 1/5th of what it would have been in the US... if I had to pay full price without insurance. We did not have a prescription but I guess you could say it was called in. If I was trying to pull a scam I guess I could have just had anyone talk to the pharmacy... but who would do that for an antibiotics?
She was better in a day and we did not have to fly home.. she stayed in the room for 3 days then played her heart out.
Glad it worked out for you and that your daughter was able to feel better and enjoy her cruise. :)

happy cruzer
May 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It may be possible for pharmacists to prescribe as well. I was able to purchase a box of antibiotics during one of my Bahamas visits. I won't say where, but it was a legitimate pharmacy.

A couple items available in the Bahamas without a prescription that requires one in the USA: Allegra and Allegra-D / cough medicine with codeine / pain relievers with codeine

In Mexico and Belize you can buy whatever you want without a prescription.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a recommendation that you attempt to bring such items back to the USA with you.

BobK/Orlando
Thank you. Allegra is also over the counter in Canada which was nice a few years ago.

Is there any trouble getting Allegra at any pharmacy you find or do you need to go to larger or particular ones.