PDA

View Full Version : Libya Changes Passport Rules; P&O's Artemis Turned Away

LauraS
November 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Libya Changes Passport Rules; P&O's Artemis Turned Away

Read the entire news article... (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2266)

happyglobetrotter
November 14th, 2007, 10:01 PM
All this seems to point out to the reality that our planned stopped in Libya on the world cruise 2008 will NOT happen.

We all are aware of the difficulties in oder to visit there. Many cruises have constantly cancelled Libya for all sorts of reasons. The question is why do cruise lines continue to put this port of call on their itinerary ?:eek:

Louise

Bramcruiser
November 14th, 2007, 11:29 PM
The question is why do cruise lines continue to put this port of call on their itinerary ?:eek:

Louise

One of the biggest mysteries of the universe. I have never been able to figure this out either. Is there something in Tripoli that makes all the hardships worth the voyage? Cruise ships constantly visit the country but I must admit its one place I have no desire to visit. So what is it about the stop that makes it worth it.

David
Also from Canada

sailingkiwi
November 15th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I would say there are two things that have made it attractive as a port. First, it is a unique and off the beaten path destination, attracting a more adverturous traveller.

Second, Tripoli itself isn't necessarily the attraction, but the Roman ruins at Leptis Magna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptis_Magna), about 130km from Tripoli.

My husband and I were planning a land tour to Tunisia and Libya in 2009, so hopefully the rules may have relaxed again then.

mancunian
November 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM
We went to Benghazi and Tripoli on a Discovery cruise approximately four years' ago and loved it. I think if you are keen on archaeology it is not to be missed, if not possibly there is less of interest.

deepnite10
November 18th, 2007, 02:18 AM
if one is to visit libya in the future..perhap s a land vacation
would be better..with less time constraint s it may be easier
to navigate the confusing passport regulation s..

certainly they, libya, is not interest d in attacting visitor s..if
they re trying to hide something..then perhap s it s better to
evaluate your own personal well being should you dare to
venture their..:confused: