PDA

View Full Version : What is Hebridean

TWELVEOHONE
December 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I am sorry but I have never heard of this cruise lines.
I know of the Norwegian Coastal Cruise Line changed its name to something like this but not exactly the same

Druke I
December 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Can't answer your question exactly, but the Norwegian Coastal Voyage has changed its name to Hurtigruten, not Hebridian.

Based on its name, I presume Hebridian sails the Hebrides, and is probably based in Scotland.

heathermk57
January 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I am sorry but I have never heard of this cruise lines.
I know of the Norwegian Coastal Cruise Line changed its name to something like this but not exactly the same

Hebridian is a luxury cruise line with two ships, Hebridean Princess which cruises the Scottish Highlands and Norway, and Hebridean Spirit which cruises further afield. They have a very nice website, www.hebridean.co.uk (http://www.hebridean.co.uk). I aspire to someday being able to afford to cruise with this company, its nice to see them on the boards and I would love to hear from anybody who has cruised with them.

BeardedGuy
January 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Looks lovely, but with my budget, I'm afraid it will have to be CalMac Ferries and Scottish Rail.

ILoveScotland
January 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I looked at the web site and definitely out of my budget. But I can dream. And as my screen name says I do love anything that has to do with Scotland.

camNaud
January 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Herbridean's cruises are very over priced IMHO....

ltsally
February 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I came across Hebridean a year or two ago whilst net-wandering. They're at the top of my "after I win the lottery (but first I need to start buying tickets!)" To-Do list.

camNaud - If you haven't sailed the line, how can you judge it? We've been fortunate enough to experience both Silversea and Seabourn, considered luxury small lines, and while they are significantly more costly than the mass market lines, they definitely proved 'worth-it' expenditures!

ltsally
February 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I came across Hebridean a year or two ago whilst net-wandering. They're at the top of my "after I win the lottery (but first I need to start buying tickets!)" To-Do list.

camNaud - If you haven't sailed the line, how can you judge it? We've been fortunate enough to experience both Silversea and Seabourn, considered luxury small lines, and while they are significantly more costly than the mass market lines, they definitely proved 'worth-it' expenditures!

camNaud
February 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Itsally,

I'm not judging Hebridean. I'm sure they would offer a fantastic experience and I can easily afford to sail with them without a lottery win. I just wouldn't want to spend that amount of money exploring somewhere so close to home. I know they also sail furher afield too, but I still can't see any justification why I would want to spend that much. For the same money Hebridean want, I can have my Rio to Lisbon and Far East cruises this year with the so called mass market lines. How unfortunate I am :p .........

.......... I hope that lottery win comes your way. ;)

LPG
March 16th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I cruised on the Hebridean Spirit in October 2004 and loved the ship and the Scottish/British "experience". We were the only Americans onboard--everyone else was from the UK. We sailed the Greek Isles, and the fare included a charter flight to/from Greece. Hebridean is expensive for Americans, especially with the dollar to pound coversion rate; however, it is certainly a delightful cruise line. For example,
How many ships have you sailed on with their own bagpiper, who pipes away as he walks the decks during each sailaway?
We had a traditional Haggis ceremony on one of the formal nights!
After dinner entertainment was often a "sing-along" of British songs (familiar to all but us) in the lounge.
A "wee dram" of Scotch was served whenever we came back onboard from a shore ex and with oatmeal in the morning. (all drinks and shore ex are included)
Anyway, it's an almost unknown line in the USA, but most of our fellow passengers were repeat cruisers, many of them single travelers.

I hope all of you get the opportunity to sail with this wonderful small ship cruise line someday.

bcscot
March 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Thank you LPG, I would love to (the dram too !!).:)

Graham.

MMDown Under
April 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for the link to Hebridean, as I had a most enjoyable browse through their cruises to a wonderful selection of exotic destinations.

For a moment, I wished I was rich. In the meantime, I will continue to sail to exotic destinations with the likes of Norwegian Coastal Voyage, Alaskan Marine Highway, ferry to Orkney Islands, etc., with the locals.

jantap
April 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi
Hebridean is a Scottish Company thay own two very small ships - they are based on country house hotels 98 guests the other 49
One carries 98 guests (50 staterooms) the other 49 (30 staterooms)
All the rooms are unique and the itineraries basedin Scotland, the Norway and the indian Ocean/South Africa
See their website wwww.hebridean.co.uk

curiousx
April 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Taking Seabourn as the point of reference, how does Hebridean compare ? Anyone out there travelled both ?

heathermk57
April 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks so much for the link to Hebridean, as I had a most enjoyable browse through their cruises to a wonderful selection of exotic destinations.

For a moment, I wished I was rich. In the meantime, I will continue to sail to exotic destinations with the likes of Norwegian Coastal Voyage, Alaskan Marine Highway, ferry to Orkney Islands, etc., with the locals.

Yes, their website and brochures are wonderful to browse. I agree though, until I have a very special occasion I will continue with the more economical types of travel! If not for any other reason that once you've done this how could you go back??

RachelG
May 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Actually was just checking out their website, and considering that the cruise really is all inclusive (including shore excursions and flight to/from London), the pricing is not bad at all. Very comparable to Regent which is my current favored line.

vivi12
May 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Taking Seabourn as the point of reference, how does Hebridean compare ? Anyone out there travelled both ?

we are trying to decide between Seabourn and Hebridean for a cruise this autumn [our first ever] to the east Mediteranean and north Adriatic and would like to hear from anyone who has sailed on Hebridean Spirit?:confused:

linda_22003
May 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually was just checking out their website, and considering that the cruise really is all inclusive (including shore excursions and flight to/from London), the pricing is not bad at all. Very comparable to Regent which is my current favored line.

That's what I was thinking. We've only done Regent, so these prices are not heartstoppers, and the ships get into little places that larger ones cannot.

This looks like the way to do the "distillery tour" of the islands my husband and I have discussed. :)

Dorset Cruiser
May 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
It it's good enough for our Queen, it is certainly good enough for me. They keep sending me the brochures and I would dearly love to book a cruise with them, but I would have to sell the family silver to be able to do so:D

linda_22003
May 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
It it's good enough for our Queen, it is certainly good enough for me.

I was under the impression that your Queen had her own boat. ;)

heathermk57
May 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM

.. not any more.

cidsid
May 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
No Unfortunately The RY Brittania was de-commisioned some years ago and taken out of Royal service , due to the fantasic costs of keeping it afloat for Royal family use only. They must all miss it greatly? Tough Old Life. isnt it?

It is now in Dry-Dock in Scotland and open to the public as a tourist attraction!
I am informed that it is like a miniture Royal Palace! with every conceivable luxury possible on board.

However, I think it was about two years ago HRH Queen Elizabeth and many members of the Royal family , Chartered one of the Hebridean Ships for their exclusive use, when they Cruised around the Scotish Islands for theri Summer Holiday'

Something they used to do each Year when the RY Brittania was in active Royal service.

gaelsail
May 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
It is now in Dry-Dock in Scotland and open to the public as a tourist attraction!
She is afloat at Leith (Edinburgh) and is accessible through Ocean Terminal.

Dorset Cruiser
June 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM

Well she did before that nasty Mr Blair made her sell it:mad: I think they should let her have another one. The RY is a lovely vessel and I think it is a shame that she is now docked as a tourist attraction.

The Queen works really hard promoting this country and she deserves her little luxuries. She is over 80 now and still working - not something I think most of us would want to be doing and yes I know she is fabulously rich etc. etc. etc. but I am a Royalist and would much prefer my money to go on the Queen than on the leeches in parliament who are elected to govern us and who all make a mint whilst doing so - why should we have to pay for Gordon's lightbulbs!!!

Anyway, rant over - the Queen took a Hebridean cruise to celebrate her 60th (Diamond) wedding anniversary. She chartered the whole ship and took all her family with her sailing round Scotland and she paid for it herself. These ships are really luxurious and I would love to go on one.

editor@cruisecritic
July 29th, 2008, 05:53 AM
hi, just wanted to chime in with my two cents. Hebridean indeed hosted the Queen (Hebridean Princess) a couple of years back. And yes, you can tour the Britannia -- check out our port profile for Leith (Edinburgh) for details. Fantastic! One of the interesting tidbits is that all the cabins have twin beds save for that of Prince Charles, who after marrying Diana asked to have a double installed. It is still there, if I recall correctly.

We have a review of Hebridean Princess (go to: www.cruisecritic.com/reviews) and search for it. It is one of two ships in the fleet and focuses primarily on the UK. Hebridean Spirit, the other, cruises in Europe and elsewhere -- stay tuned for an October report.

I will start a thread soon to ask people what they want to know about Hebridean Spirit before I go -- so think of some questions! Trip is to Italy-Croatia....

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

RachelG
August 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Want to know all about Croatia. Also is this one of the hiking cruises. If so, I would like to know about that. My husband and I are avid hikers, and these look very tempting.

zubee
September 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hebridean Princess which cruises the Scottish Highlands and Norway, and Hebridean Spirit which cruises further afield. They have a very nice website, www.hebridean.co.uk. I aspire to someday being able to afford to cruise with this company

Pernilla
December 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
That's what I was thinking. We've only done Regent, so these prices are not heartstoppers, and the ships get into little places that larger ones cannot.

This looks like the way to do the "distillery tour" of the islands my husband and I have discussed. :)

A few years ago we were lucky enough to sail with Hebridean -- and did a tour which included Islay and we visited every distillery on the island. While I'm not a whiskey drinker, my husband is -- and I was glad to have the name of one of the few (if not only) taxi on the island!

Hebridean was the most delightful line to sail of any we've tried. And yes, absolutely everything is included -- down to the admission to a castle if that was your desire. No such thing as 'premium liquors not included' -- even hubby's favorite single malt was there for a dram nightly.

Makes me long for another trip aboard..... :o

editor@cruisecritic
December 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi, the Hebridean Spirit review has been launched -- it's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=536. Fantastic experience.

Loved the hiking part of it -- though there were some grumbles about the fact that the hikes were too easy (for some) and too hard (for others). One difference on Spirit, as opposed to Princess, is that the "footloose" experiences, which are in their first year on the Spirit, basically are organized for a broader group. On Princess, you have easy, middling and challenging levels.

On our trip the first, outside of Ravenna, Italy, was pretty easy (just a hike through a forest, primarily). The second was slightly more challenging, definitely a fantastic day out, through a couple of Croatian villages outside Hvar (one was abandoned, eerie and yet also beautiful). The third, which I didn't do, was while at Dubrovnik and I understand it was the most difficult of the three (that day I borrowed one of the bikes they keep onboard and went for a ride).

Happy to answer more specific questions.

Carolyn

Want to know all about Croatia. Also is this one of the hiking cruises. If so, I would like to know about that. My husband and I are avid hikers, and these look very tempting.

Piltonian
December 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I travelled on Hebridean Princess a few years ago. It's pricey for sure, but its also exceedingly good.

The overwhelming impression is of something unique and more than a little quirky (after all, you're on a converted car ferry with a stone chimney built through its decks). With a maximum of 49 guests, a voyage with them has the feel of a house party - and accordingly, guests can do their own thing or join in the activities as they choose. For example, one couple asked to be dropped with bikes on one side of an island we were passing and picked up when the ship got round the other side.

We hit a Severe Storm Force 10 whilst I was on board - bits getting torn off the superstructure, potted aspidistras sliding back and two, staff crawling around on all fours offering refreshments. Notably the assembled passengers responded to the storm by drinking the ship dry of Bollinger - definitely the right stiff-upper lipped response. That night one elderly lady on board was unwell and not able to make it to dinner. The staff member who took a tray of food to her cabin reported back that she was in bed with her pearl choker on - as, of course, one should always dress for dinner.

Passengers when I was on were all British, varied ages with quite a few around 40 and quite a few over 60. Apparently Sean Connery and Jackie Stewart have been amongst the guests as well as HMQ. Officers and crew were all Scots apart from the Purser (a Sassenach), the deckhands were all Hebridean locals who spoke to each other in Gaelic.

Food was out of this world. Truly, a culinary experience by any standards - definitely superior to a number of Michelin two-starred places I could think of.

Probably not an experience to compare directly with most other cruises - more akin to a small country house hotel, or perhaps one of the lesser known luxury trains. Most people on board seemed not to frequent cruises other than on Hebridean, but quite a high proportion were repeat visitors on board this ship.

hcm2009
October 27th, 2009, 05:22 AM
She is afloat at Leith (Edinburgh) and is accessible through Ocean Terminal.

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

bcscot
October 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Does anyone have any up to date information on this little ship since she changed hands?

Graham.

donaldsc
October 30th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Did you try typing "Hebridean" into Google? Obviously not as the first hit would have given you an answer?

DON

bcscot
October 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Well yes, thank you for your advice, but this gives the company's advertising information. What I was looking for was opinions from passengers; ie independent views & experiences, the thing this website is known for.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Does anyone have any experience of the newly owned Hebridean Princess?

Thanks,

Graham.

gaelsail
November 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe I should rephrase my question. Does anyone have any experience of the newly owned Hebridean Princess?
Seeing as no-one else has been able to provide you with recent experiences-
I have not been onboard but, seeing the ship in various places in the past few weeks, everything looks the same as before.
I know this is not the info you were looking for but I hope it helps.

bcscot
November 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you for your reply gaelsail. I am sure that she would be a fine sight to see around the coast. I would very much like to sail on her, if I could scrape together enough bawbees for the fare! Maybe Caledonian Macbrayne would be a more realistic option though.

Graham.

Talisker92
July 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I cruised on the Hebridean Princess in 2006. I can e-mail you the trip story. My e-mail is:
highlandpark@mindspring.com