PDA

View Full Version : Airport at Rio

nancycoop1
February 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM
We will be leaving from the Rio airport on a very late night flight. Are there any cafes etc. open? Also, any suggestions involving departing this airport would be appreciated.

Thanks

realtorcruiser
February 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
We will be leaving from the Rio airport on a very late night flight. Are there any cafes etc. open? Also, any suggestions involving departing this airport would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nancy,

I understand there are two airline clubs, American and Air France. On another thread people have said there are several restaurants/cafes. We will be on The Star returning on 7 March with a 10pm depature for Atlanta.

nancycoop1
February 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I checked on the American Club (we are flying American) and it closes at 8:00 p.m., no no help there. Darn

nancycoop1
February 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I checked on the American Club (we are flying American) and it closes at 8:00 p.m., so no help there. Darn

hampshirelad
February 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Flew from there a week ago. I would best describe it as scruffy and expensive with a poor duty free. There are cafe's but did not use them

Water will be confiscated when you go through security

nancycoop1
February 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Flew from there a week ago. I would best describe it as scruffy and expensive with a poor duty free. There are cafe's but did not use them

Water will be confiscated when you go through security

Thanks - that was what I was afraid of. I guess it couldn't be worse than Sao Paolo. (I hope) Did it take a long time to go thru security etc?

greatam
February 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The Rio airport will be EXTREMELY crowded and disorganized on "cruise day". Plan on being there AT LEAST 3 hours early. The lines get VERY long. Unless you are flying first or business or are a top tier FF, you need at least 2 hours just to get through the lines (just for check in-security moves pretty fast). MAKE SURE your ticket INCLUDES the departure tax. MOST US tickets do, but if you bought from a discounter, the departure tax MAY NOT have been paid.

I fly to SA (usually Santiago or Lima, but sometimes Rio) 4 times per year for business. The major airports are ALWAYS crowded and disorganized. And no one is in a hurry-"there is always tomorrow" is the attitude anytime you leave the Southern border of the US and head South.

RioRabbit
February 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Do you leave from terminal 1 (AA, DL, CO) or 2 (UA)? Terminal 2 is newer and have better places to eat, including a McDonalds if you like. Terminal 1 is worn out and not many places to eat after security. Many options on the 3rd floor, but that is before security.

Regarding being crowded and disorganized, that depends a lot on the time you're there and day of the week. If you arrive for the very last AA flight (11:55pm, I believe) it will be very quiet. And if you're used to the comedy circus that are US airports these days you'll find GIG a breeze.

nancycoop1
February 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM
We are leaving on AA on their last flight. Is there anyplace after security to sit down, shop, get something to eat etc?

Thanks

KBC
February 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Oh dear ... this doesn't sound like a great way to end a lovely cruise!!!

Can anyone comment on the British Airways Lounge for 'business' passengers?

Many thanks :)

greatam
February 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Oh dear ... this doesn't sound like a great way to end a lovely cruise!!!

Can anyone comment on the British Airways Lounge for 'business' passengers?

Many thanks :)

There is no BA lounge in Rio. You will use the AA lounge. It closes around 8:30PM, so if you have a late flight, you will still have to sit at the gate. Not a bad lounge, but it certainly isn't Terraces. Snacks only, you MAY get a couple of drink chits.

KBC
February 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Greatam

Thanks for the info, albeit not good news. Our flight home isn't until 11:15pm therefore I may look into booking a dayroom at a nearby hotel - any suggestions would be much appreciated.... thanks again.