PDA

View Full Version : Taxis in Sydney

mochuck
February 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Following a couple of horror stories posted here where tourists were blatantly ripped off by taxi drivers, I thought I would post some fare information.

Current Fares - Effective From 27 August 2007

Hiring Charges: $3.00
Distance Rate: Tariff 1: $1.79 per kilometre Between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily
Tariff 2: Tariff 1 + 20% Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily
Radio Booking fee: $1.60 surcharge in addition to the fare.
Waiting time: $46.20 per hour (72.17c per minute - less than 25.77 KPH)
Luggage Rates: First 25kg no charge - then 10c for each subsequent 25kg or part thereof. Maximum payable 55c
Toll and ferry Charges: The hirer must pay all road, bridge, ferry, tunnel and airport tolls that apply to the journey.
Maxi Cabs: Except in the case of a multiple hiring, where 75% of the authorised fare applies, all the above maximum fares and charges apply only in the case of the maxi-cab hire from a taxi zone or hailed on the street to carry up to 5 passengers. For any other hiring (except a multiple hiring) up to 150% of the above maximum fares and charges may be charged.
The last bit is a tad confusing and I had to read it about 4 times to get it. What it means is if you hire a maxi-cab from a taxi stand or on the street, the normal taxi fares apply. If you ring and specifically order one because you have a larger party it costs 150% of the normal fare.

In addition there is a $2.50 airport toll for taxis. And any other tolls incurred have to be paid by the passenger. You will possibly go via the Eastern Distrbutor into the city which has a toll of $4.50

Linda-E
February 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info. What would be an approximate cost from the airport to Circular Quay?

Aussie Gal
February 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
We were in Sydney in August last year and our fare into Sydney to the Rocks Area which is very close to Circular Quay cost us $40AUD.

Our fare back to the airport a few days later was only $30AUD. I think the difference was due to having to pay the airport tax and the tolls. I know that going to the airport the toll isn't collected on the Eastern Distributor.

Jennie

mochuck
February 19th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Linda, going on the kilometre rate it should be about $30 (as Jennie said). The Sydney Airport website (http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/To+and+From+Airport/default.htm) states that it is 8km to the city. I think this must be as the crow flies though. Where you might get charged more is if the traffic is really bad because there is a charge of 72c per minute if the taxi is going less than 26kph.

Somebody said here recently that they were charged $65 from the airport to Park Hyatt - the only way you should be charged that much is if you are in really bad traffic. I think Sheila was blatantly ripped off. I get so angry when I hear those sorts of stories:mad: