PDA

View Full Version : familiarization cruise

sixgun8
June 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM
OK, we have a voucher for a free cruise and airfare for the IMCL cruise. Has anyone else done this? Was it worth it? We pay all taxes and fees and get $1300 in travel coucher, which means we HAVE to stay in a ramada Inn while in FL. but is it worth it?? We desperately need a cruise fix and this wouldn't be bad. I know we have to attend a meeting thing to show us a resort, but I don't know if our whole day is used doing that or not?

MSEm
June 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What are the taxes and fees? Do you have a complete list of the taxes and fees.

Lets see fees:
Document delivery
Document printing
Fuel Surcharges
Facility use Fee.

I would stay away. Remember, "There's never a free Lunch", Maybe Low cost, but not free.

MSEm

sixgun8
June 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
yeah it doesn't list anything specific, just the standard you are responsible for all taxes and fees. Someone mentioned it is about $59 per person, plus the typical FUEL charges

cot427
June 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
We are going on the Regal Empress in a little over a week. We had a certificate for just the cruise from attending a travel show up here. All we have to do is go on the cruise, no meeting.

But ironically, just after we got that certificate from our friend who had the show, we got a certificate in the mail like you got. We were almost going to do that, but the hotel they give you in FLL is the Ramada, and it is not nice. It goes for about $45 a night, which is bad. Same thing in Orlando. It's not worth what they tell you it's worth, plus you have to go to the travel meeting salespitch. We have many experiences with those. No matter what they say, the people are very pushy. In fact, we almost bought one in Williamsburg because of it, but we cancelled because it was horrible.

But if you get the hotel free, then I guess go for it. When we called, we had to pay more than what you say you have to pay.

You pay $59 per person taxes for the cruise
You pay $30 (I think) for the fuel surcharge per person
You pay prepaid gratuities, $20 per person.

So for one person, it would be $109 and for two, it would be $218.

sixgun8
June 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
according to IMCLs website the 59 includes the fuel surcharge. There is like 5 ramadas in FLL and 3 of them are called "resorts" so I am not sure which one it is, but looking at the prices. We'd be looking at about 465 in car rental for the week and 365 for the hotel(depending on which one it is?) and then about $800 in airfare. So?? eh. 3 day cruise 4 days in in FLL???

cot427
June 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well, we had to pay the $59 in taxes plus the fuel surcharge of $30 that they charge when you get on the ship (by your onboard credit) and so will the prepaid gratuities, but maybe they changed it.

I don't know where you are getting over $400 for a car rental for the week. We are paying $140 for a week from Hotwire because we are staying in the Keys a week before the cruise. And, I don't think you'd be getting or would want the car for a week, since you also have the cruise, because you'd have to pay to park it while on the cruise. So even if you did, that's only $140 for a week.

The Ramada hotel is a budget hotel, definetly not valued at 365 dollars for the week. I know this because we have to go to the Ramada Hotel addressed at 5100 N State Road 7 in FLL, 33319 to pick up our boarding passes or the Regal Empress. So I went onto sidestep.com to see how much this hotel would cost for a night and it was 33 dollars a night. $99 plus taxes totaling $157.07 booking through hotels.com

So thats 157.07 + 140.00, so thats $300 for the hotel and car.

So don't kid yourself, it is not valued any big price, not what you quoted above.

Here is the website for the hotel review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d141952-Reviews-Fort_Lauderdale_Ramada_Plaza_Hotel_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

I guess it's worth it if you only pay the taxes for the cruise, but if they make you pay more, PASS, PASS, PASS. They were going to make us pay way way more than it was worth.

sixgun8
June 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well, we had to pay the $59 in taxes plus the fuel surcharge of $30 that they charge when you get on the ship (by your onboard credit) and so will the prepaid gratuities, but maybe they changed it.

I don't know where you are getting over $400 for a car rental for the week. We are paying $140 for a week from Hotwire because we are staying in the Keys a week before the cruise. And, I don't think you'd be getting or would want the car for a week, since you also have the cruise, because you'd have to pay to park it while on the cruise. So even if you did, that's only $140 for a week.

The Ramada hotel is a budget hotel, definetly not valued at 365 dollars for the week. I know this because we have to go to the Ramada Hotel addressed at 5100 N State Road 7 in FLL, 33319 to pick up our boarding passes or the Regal Empress. So I went onto sidestep.com to see how much this hotel would cost for a night and it was 33 dollars a night. $99 plus taxes totaling $157.07 booking through hotels.com

So thats 157.07 + 140.00, so thats $300 for the hotel and car.

So don't kid yourself, it is not valued any big price, not what you quoted above.

Here is the website for the hotel review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d141952-Reviews-Fort_Lauderdale_Ramada_Plaza_Hotel_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

I guess it's worth it if you only pay the taxes for the cruise, but if they make you pay more, PASS, PASS, PASS. They were going to make us pay way way more than it was worth.

Wellllll, if you go to the website for Budget and look into a car rental off the site and then go to the ramada site and look for the hotel that says Resort in it's name that is where I am getting the prices. Of course I am looking in September when we would be wanting to do this.

There are parameters of this offer, ya kinda have to rent the car from where they say(2 options) and you have to stay at the hotel they want. Now there are 5 ramadas in FLL, one is very very cheap, the others are a pretty far ranging prices. So, I am NOT kidding myself, it's called looking it up online.

But thanks for your opinions.

cot427
June 8th, 2008, 11:03 PM
What I am saying though is what you will be getting. You will be getting the cheapest Ramada there, the one on State Road. I mean I hope that you do get a better one, but the truth is, the headquarters for the Regal Empress is at that hotel, because when we are in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, we have to go to that hotel to get documentation for the cruise.

The only thing I am saying is that it's not worth what you say or they say it is. That's all.

I hope everything works out and you get a worth while hotel, but I have my doubts.

Calker
June 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Please read your certificate - "Transportation to and from Florida, ports charges, government taxes, hotel and rental car taxes if applicable and meals on land are the travelers' reponsibility."

This certificate DOES NOT include airfare.

Yes, you will be required to waste an entire day on the sales pitch. It is broken up into segments - preshow, presentation, tour of the property, more presentations, and on and on and on.

You might want to check with the BBB before agreeing to even travel to Florida. There are also several on-line sites that talk about the horrible experiences of offers like this:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/028/ripoff0028294.htm

http://overbreadth.com/2008/02/24/no-free-cruises-for-renters-apparently/

http://ramadarefunds.com/

cot427
June 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
And most of all, I just returned from the Regal Empress, and it was horrible. My review is in this forum, just read it and don't waste your time or money. You would be better off to spend a little more money on a better cruise or a nice hotel on the beach rather than waste it on Imperial Majesty.