PDA

View Full Version : I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

travellover3
January 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
You are fantastic and so generous with your time and knowledge! Thanks for all the great information. It will make negotiating in a new city/country so much easier.
Phyllis

floridafolks
January 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
"The monument to the fishwife was erected in 1940 and was sculpted by Christian Svejstrup Madsen. It commerates the fact that Gammel Strand was originally the site of Copenhagen fish market, and central to the commerce of the town. It was cold and unforgiving work for the women who sold the wares, and thus the monument depicts the traditional female fish hawker bundled up in thick in clothing to bear the wind and rain that so often afflicts Copenhagen. When the statue was erected there was still a market here, but now it is only the granite sculpture that remains to remind visitors of the reality of the past."

It's located on Gammel Strand in central Copenhagen across from Thorvaldsen's Museum.
Fish Wife = fiskerkone in Danish

Photos:
http://media.nowpublic.net/images//94/f/94fdb870167dfead3bc3ceb24b6fae60.jpg
http://media.nowpublic.net/images//c4/f/c4f4e3ceca0a9c896fd8bcbdb01ff59e.jpg

It's fun to take little detours off of the public streets, like Stroget. When you do, you'll find things that grab your attention. This little lady, all bundled up from the cold grabbed my heart during the winter of '70-71. She might not grab your's, but something will . Copenhagen is like that.
Thanks for taking the time to find this info. Cruisecritic folks are the best!!! I am going to make that something to see now that you have shared the story behind "her."

Danish viking
January 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
They still call out the next station, but it is a prerecorded voice now.
Since last time they have added Danshøj and Dybbølsbro station on that line.

es_2009
January 21st, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hello! Our ship will be docking at Langelinie and we would like to get over to Nyhavn for a canal cruise. Can you please tell me:
a) How long of a walk this is?
b) Are taxi's readily available at the port or Nyhavn, and if so how long of a ride and how much would it cost?
Thanks!!

Danish viking
January 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
There is around 2 km from Langelinie to Nyhavn and there is many taxis at the nearby Kongens Nytorv.

But i don´t know about how many taxis there is at Langelinie but im guessing that the tourist office at the pier can order one for you.

http://map.krak.dk/m/Mwzhc

Danish viking
January 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
I was in a hurry so my last post look like s....

The link is the walking route from the Langelinie to Nyhavn, i also forget to tell you about bus number 26 that will get you from the pier to Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv if you can´t get a taxi.

jen28
January 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Danish Viking,

Thanks for the detail regarding the castles!! I am coming to Copenhagen in May and wonder if you can help me with some questions?

1. Do we need to to buy the train/bus ticket to these 2 castles ahead of time (on-line at the dsb website)? And do they take credit card from US at the ticket office?
2. I look at the dsb website, the ticket price varies from 43kr for a voucher ticket to 103.5kr for cash ticket. Which one do we need to buy?
3. I heard that dsb also offer a circular excursion ticket. Would you please let us know how does it work?

Thanks so much for your help & have a wonderful day!
Jen

Wezzie
January 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
Dybbølsbro - two b's! That's harder to say then rod grod med flude!

Danish Viking, I'm sure I made some mistakes in my posts on the last page. After forty years (eek!) it's easy to get the palaces' names mixed up and businesses that were open 15 years ago, might have long since closed (e.g., Carlsburg.. do they still have brewery tours). I'd really appreciate it if you could correct anything that I goofed up. I don't want to mislead any Cruise Critics!

THANK YOU for all you've shared!

Danish viking
January 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
@ jen28

The best thing to do is to either buy a 24 hour transportation card or buy the Copenhagen Card that will cover transportation and free or reduced entrance to the castles.

@ Wezzie

I will look into it but so far it looks to be correct.

jen28
January 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Danish Viking,

Thanks very much! You are so kind to help us out. I really appreciated!

Have a great day!
Jen

mb6668
January 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I haven't been able to find it through search and I haven't made it through all the posts yet. There will be 7 of us staying at The Square Hotel a few days before our cruise. We wanted to get a private transport to the dock for all of us. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks!

Danish viking
January 26th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I would try to take a taxi (or 2) or else i would try www.cphlimo.com.

mb6668
January 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I would try to take a taxi (or 2) or else i would try www.cphlimo.com. (http://www.cphlimo.com.)

Thanks very much!

Danish viking
January 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think that there are many CPH related topics in this board at the moment, so i will just bump this thread up to page 1 again so we can collect all related topics here.
I don't look in all the threads and therefore i can't help anyone with a question about Copenhagen if it's not posted here.

scrapycruiser
January 31st, 2010, 11:03 PM
Danish Viking
Thank you for providing not just info but wise suggestions !
We will be on the Disney Magic & arriving in Copenhagen July 21 for 1 day.Please critique our itinerary :

Canal tour ( how long ? )
Tivoli 1 1/2 hrs
Hard Rock lunch ( Grandson request )
Rosenborg Castle
Grab a quick pastry ( any suggestions ? )
Back to ship ( any idea where the Magic will dock ? )

Can we walk to everything?
Should we get the Copenhagen Card ?

Thank you for your thoughtfulness ! :)
Gina

Danish viking
February 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM
The canal tour will take around 1 hour for all routes, the walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Café will take at least 30 minutes so i think that Rosenborg is out of the question unless that the ship is in port longer than usual.

I would like to help you even more so i will do some homework and post something more in the end of the week, but if you have the arrival and departure time it will help me alot.

scrapycruiser
February 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
The canal tour will take around 1 hour for all routes, the walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Café will take at least 30 minutes so i think that Rosenborg is out of the question unless that the ship is in port longer than usual.

I would like to help you even more so i will do some homework and post something more in the end of the week, but if you have the arrival and departure time it will help me alot.

Thanks so much !
the Disney Magic will be in Copenhagen Wed ,July 20 from 8:30 am-5:00pm

So if we skipped the Hard Rock, could we grab something quick to eat from a vendor and still have time for Rosenborg ?

Danish viking
February 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Your ship is in port early so if you take bus number 26 to Nyhavn and start there you will be in Tivoli around 11:00 so that will make time for both Hard Rock Café and Rosenborg.

But i'll be back :-

sarbah77
February 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
The cruise list for nest year is ready
170 is Nordre Toldbod
190 is Langelinie
240/250 is the Freeport Terminal.

http://www.cmport.com/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/download.aspx

Thank you for this information!!

Kugel
February 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)
Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)
Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?
Should we consider a ship tour or can you recommend a local tour company or is this someplace we can do ourselves?

Thank you,
Joyce

Barbie075
February 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I just checked the Port chart for where the Star Princess will be docking on August 30th and it said C245. Can you tell me where that is??

Danish viking
February 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
That is the freeport terminal, on a map the piers/roads are called Orientkaj and Sundkaj, i can't figure out how to link to the map using my PS3 so i will make a linkable map in the weekend when i can foresee to turn on my PC.

Dayenu
February 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
This thread got so long, I posted my question separately, but maybe you have this thread bookmarked?

Anyway, my question was about Ascot. I saw on the photo a set of stairs - is there an elevator? Are all rooms accessible by the elevator, or should we go up those steep stairs first?

Dayenu
February 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Never mind, got a reply from the hotel:

The ground floor and the reception is on the same level. We do have an elevator at our reception/groundfloor going to the fourth floor. But we have two departments, where you, in the

other department, have to walk a stair up, then cross the hall and take the elevator there.

We can not guarantee which department of the building you will be placed in, but you can request to have a room with a possibility to take the elevator directly to the room.

If you need any more information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

jan44134
February 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM
We arrive May 8th on the Star Princess, staying 6 nights at the Hilton CPH airport. Could you please advise some budget restaurant choices nearby outside the Hilton? Can we walk to a restaurant? Thanks!

Danish viking
February 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
@ Kugel

Try to look at this page

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

@ Barbie075

The link to the map i was talking about earlier is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/MkyOt

@ Dayenu

It´s good that you found the info, i wanted to help you but you were quicker than me :)

@ jan44134

If you came in 3 days earlier you could join my 25th years birthday. :-)

But to answer your question i would go to the airport and find a restaurant inside Terminal 3, there is an indoor passage from the hotel and to the terminal.

Barbie075
February 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Danish Viking, Thank you -- great map.

Barbara

Danish viking
February 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM
@ scrapycruiser

Disney Magic is docking at Langelinie Pier according to the cruise list but it says the 21th of july not the 20th???????

The Magic arrives at 07:30 so there is plenty of time to get some danish currency at the tourist office and get with bus number 26 to Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv were the canal tour starts.

The bus leaves in a 20 minute interval so there is plenty of time to catch the bus, the departure times are xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50 but be there a little bit earlier.

After the canal tour you can either walk through the Strøget shopping street to Tivoli or take bus number 26 again and get of at Tivoli.
But the Destination sign must say Ålholm Plads because else you will get back to the ship.

You can also get the Metro from Kongen Nytorv heading for Vanløse and with a change of trains at Nørreport get to the Central Station (København H), that is located next to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Cafe.

From Tivoli and the Hard Rock and to Rosenborg Slot you just take the S-trains departing from track 9-10 and get of at Nørreport and walk 500 meters along the main street (Nørre Voldgade and Øster Voldgade) that is going parallel with the station up to the castle.

The last stage of Tour de Copenhagen will take you back to the Øster Voldgade but instead of going left back to Nørreport you turn right and walk up to the intersection at Øster Voldgade and Sølvgade.
just on the other side of the intersection you will find a bus stop were you will find bus number 26 again.

On a timetable the stop is called Sølvgade and it will ofcourse be the bus stop located on the right side of the street, not the left side.

But only take the bus that is departing at xx.14, xx:34 and xx:54 because the other departures will get you to the other cruise terminals but not Langelinie.
The destination display will say Langelinie -the cruise ships and the other one that you should avoid will say Færgehavn Nord.

The travel time from the busstop and to Langelinie is only 8 minutes.

So to sum it up your schedule will look like this
Arriving to Copenhagen
Bus #26 from Langelinie to Nyhavn
Canal tour
Walk or bus #26 or metro & train to Tivoli.
Tivoli
Hard Rock Cafe
Train to Rosenborg Slot
Rosenborg Slot
A short walk to bus #26 and then back to Langelinie.
Goodbye Copenhagen

B&Ccruisers
February 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Not sure is you already addressed this question. Sorry if you have done this once.
We will be on Princess cruise line. I believe it docks at Faergehaven or Frihaven. Is the trains station close by? and does the train take you to the airport or would it involve more than 1 train? And what is the cost from port to airport

Danish viking
February 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
your ship will dock at the freeport terminal.

You need to walk 10-15 minutes to Nordhavn Station, just look at the map i posted to Barbie075.

Now there is 2 options.
1) Take the S-train to the next station Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport or Malmö and other cities in Sweden.

2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for Lufthavnen, Lufthavnen is the danish word for the airport.

The price is the same for both routes and that is 3 fare zones (34 kr.) but if you are more people together there is most of the time a cheaper price.
So if want to i can give you a better price if you tell me how many people there are in the group and if the are any children aged 0-11 and 12-15.

FSUJim
February 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Just discovered your posts and they are very helpful.

Traveling alone and will be able to squeeze in only one extra day after disembarking in August (on a Friday).

I plan on trying to take bus 26 into town (should be able to navigate with my luggage) and will be staying one night at the Cab Inn near Tivoli (I realize rooms are small, but don't plan on being in it other than to sleep). I hope to get to the hotel Friday fairly early (again only have the one full day) and have emailed the Cab Inn several times asking if they provide luggage storage, but have yet to get any type of reply. Do you know if luggage storage is something that is common in Copenhagen, or is this more of an "American" custom (I have only been to Europe once before, and did not need to store luggage).

Thanks again!

TheGenie
February 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
What I found online today...

Luggage storage at Copenhagen Central Station is by Track 11/12.

Large lockers are about $7.35(40 DKK). Don't know what these fill fit?

Drop off (apparently in a room under guard) is about $8.30 (45 DKK) per suitcase.

Danish viking
February 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
It sounds about right, there are also normal boxes at 20 kroners.

Danish viking
February 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
If you only need transportation and only need to travel inside Copenhagen (also the airport) there is now a new option, City Pass that covers zone 1 to 4.

The price for the 24 hour card is 70 dkk and for the 72 hour card is 180 dkk.

The price for the normal 24 hour card that covers the greater Copenhagen area including the cities were the viking ship museum and Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castle are located is 125 dkk.

FSUJim
February 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Hope everyone in Copenhagen is as helpful as you!

Jim

MGnut
February 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I just checked the Port chart for where the Star Princess will be docking on August 30th and it said C245. Can you tell me where that is??

Can you please give me a link for the port chart? We will be there in July, but I haven't found where we will be docked.

Thanks.

Danish viking
February 12th, 2010, 06:52 AM
It is a few pages back.

winewanderer
February 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Can you please give me a link for the port chart? We will be there in July, but I haven't found where we will be docked.

Thanks.

I looked for you, you are at C245 the Freeport terminal.

MGnut
February 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM

I looked for you, you are at C245 the Freeport terminal.

Thank you. And thanks for the link.

Milwaukeeee
February 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,
I'm really counting on your help here. I'm soooo confused.
At the airport we can buy train/metro tickets.
What is the difference between the two?
I'm thinking we take the Metro to Central. I'm wanting to end up
at Helolandsgade 3. Where do I get off and how far would it be
to walk to that address?
Can I buy my ticket with my Visa card? We don't have any Denmark
money yet. Do I need it for a cab to the port on the next day?
Some say everyone will use the Visa card....true or not?
Thanking you in advance.

Calken
February 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hello, we are arriving on the Norwegian Sun on June 30. From that link to the charts I see that is says C190. Does that mean we arrive at the Freeport Terminal and not at Langelinie? If so I have to alter my plans slightly.

Many thanks.

Calken

Danish viking
February 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe im a little bit grumpy but i would never say something like Denmark money, it just sounds very ignorant or that you don't care for what the name is.

But back to your question.

Helgolandsgade is located only 2 blocks away from the central station so about 5-10 minutes its on the other side of where Tivoli is located.

Don't take the metro because you'll need to change to a train or S-train at Nørreport, just take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station.

If it is a regular visa card it is generally accepted but there are atm's at the airport where you can get some danish currencies aka kroner.

Milwaukeeee
February 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe im a little bit grumpy but i would never say something like Denmark money, it just sounds very ignorant or that you don't care for what the name is.

But back to your question.

Helgolandsgade is located only 2 blocks away from the central station so about 5-10 minutes its on the other side of where Tivoli is located.

Don't take the metro because you'll need to change to a train or S-train at Nørreport, just take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station.

If it is a regular visa card it is generally accepted but there are atm's at the airport where you can get some danish currencies aka kroner.

Please, I don't mean to insult anyone. "sounds very ignorant" maybe because I'm looking at 6 different countries and they all seem to have their own name for their money and being a first time trip to Europe it's conofusing. You are right...I just didn't go back and find the correct name...sorry about that.
Now, to the train question...you said "take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station"...does that mean the fourth stop is where we get off or is it that the third stop is Central Station. Is Central Station the end of the train run or does it go further?

Ripley's Lady
February 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
@ nationaltreasure79

If you take the S-train to Frederiksborg Castle just make sure that you will first be around Copenhagen after noon because the Castle first open at 10:00 and you should allow yourself atleast 1 or 1,5 hour inside but also at the garden outside.

A good plan is to take a "early" train at 08:25 from the central station (S-train line E to Hillerød).
There is just under 1 mile (1,4 km) from the train station too the castle and it include a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle.

It will leave you at the castle 30-40 minutes before the castle opens, you can also take bus number 701 and 702 from the station but that is only 3 minutes shorter than walking.

The S-train for Hillerød depart from Central station at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:55

But since you stay at The Square, the more obvious choice is to take the train from Vesterport where the train departs at xx:06, xx:26 and xx:46.
Vesterport is located closer to your hotel and 1 stop closer to Hillerød.

On the way back to Copenhagen you can cath a bus from just outside the castle (or walk).

The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate it drives towards Egedammen but it is in the direction of the train station.

The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to a S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen at 12:21

The timetable is here (Lørdag = Saturday) this is only the direction from the castle at to Hillerød station.
http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9012200070210 000&stop_gid=9025200000006769

On the way home the saturday rush hour traffic has kicked in at 10:22 and the S-train now departs every 10 minute from Hillerød towards Copenhagen at xx:02, xx:12 and so on.

Back in Copenhagen you can get off at Nørreport and easily walk to Rosenborg and Later on Amalienborg but remember that Rosenborg will close at 17:00 and Amalienborg at 16:00.

If i was you i will skip the Round Tower and Our Saviors Church and take them on your strolling tour on strøget on friday.

After all the castles and museums i would take the short walk from Amalienborg to Nyhavn and take a canaltour and then a nice dinner at one of the many restaurants on Nyhavn.

I do like the sunday initiary to the deer garden :-)

When you are at the deer garden promise me to take a look at the worlds oldest amusement park "Bakken" located inside the Huuuge Deer park, there is a free entrance so just soak up the atmosphere.

The deer park is well served with trains by the nearby Klampenborg Station where both S-trains and Öresund trains departs to and from Copenhagen and Nivå in the other direction.

you can either walk from the hotel to the central station and take the Öresund train heading for Nivå and get off at Klampenborg, do not take the Öresund train heading for Helsingør/Elinore because it bypass Klampenborg.

The train goes at xx:08 xx:28 and xx:48.

Or you can walk to Vesterport and take the S-train line C its both a shorter walk and a station closer to Klampenborg.

But the S-train stops at 5 stops more than the Öresund trains (if you count from central station) but it only takes 2 minutes more if you take it from Vesterport instead of the central station.

The S-train Line C goes at xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50

But also from from the central station at xx:09, xx:29 and xx:49.

On the way back to Copenhagen the Öresund trains goes from Klampenborg at xx:14, xx:34 and xx:54 and the S-train line C goes at xx:16, xx:36 and xx:56

The trips takes around 25 minutes including the walk to/from the hotel

If others are reading this remember that this is the Saturday and Sunday schedules that i posted here.
If you are in Copenhagen on Mondays to fridays there will be more frequent trains and also on saturdays, but more reduced.

Thank you!
This site is awesome to help plan what to do in Copenhagen.

We are coming to Copenhagen for the first time on Sept 2nd 2010.

Can anyone suggest any special festivals or musical events on the 2nd and 3rd of September 2010?

Since we leave on Vision of the Seas, we are looking at transport options to ther ship. We do not have a hotel booked yet.

Nancy

Danish viking
February 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
@ Milwaukeeee

Maybe i was a little bit harsh, but i did say that i was grumpy :)

The trains runs to Helsingør/Elsinore and Nivå and it is the third stop after the Airport, but they will announce the stop in english.

@ Ripley's Lady

There is no event announced so far but ask again when we get closer to september.

TheGenie
February 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Danish Viking, how does this sound for a 2nd Day in Copoenhagen?

Ship arrives on Tuesday, August 10th at 5:00AM
Freeport Terminal C245

From what I think I read:

We need to walk 10 minutes to Nordhavn train Station from Freeport terminal.

[Is there a bus from Freeport to Nordhaven? We will have luggage with us]

Then 2 options:
1) Take the S-train to the next station at Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport (Lufthavnen).
- or -
2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for airport.
[Our hotel is the airport Hilton ... to drop off our luggage]

[We could also skip going all the way to the Airport Hilton, and just store our luggage at central station until we get back from the two excursions below - What do you suggest?]

We want to see both:

1) Kronborg Castle at Helsingør
2) Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Your directions have been excellent, and I believe I understand how to reach each destination from central station.

Can we fit both excursions easily in the same day (assuming we spend somewhere about 1 - 1.5 hours at each site)?

Which (Kronborg or Frederiksborg) to do first?

Travel time plus on-site time at Frederiksborg seems to be about 4 hours, or so. Is that also true for Kronborg (assuming we leave from central station)?

Sorry about so many questions,

Thank you for all your time and the great hospitality you have awarded us!

Genie

swifs
February 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM
We will be visiting for one day in July on the Disney Magic. I was in CPH when I was in high school and loved Tivoli and the polse carts- I have been yearning for polse with onion chips for 40 years- so that is a must do even if we wont be able to see Tivoli at night.:(

I am trying to figure out how much of my remaining list is viable and whether we can actually walk from the ship (especially if the ship provides a shuttle part-way). These are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

Milwaukeeee
February 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
We will be visiting for one day in July on the Disney Magic. I was in CPH when I was in high school and loved Tivoli and the polse carts- I have been yearning for polse with onion chips for 40 years- so that is a must do even if we wont be able to see Tivoli at night.:(

I am trying to figure out how much of my remaining list is viable and whether we can actually walk from the ship (especially if the ship provides a shuttle part-way). These are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

I think I'm very hungry right now so I have to ask...what is/are "polse" and are onion chips what we call onion rings (fried slices of onions)? Sounds delish.

Snowy69
February 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Everyone mentons Tivoli and I'm wondering if you can give any advice about the "Gardens". Are they something outstanding or are they just pretty flowers in an amusement/food park?

I hear you should go to Tivoli at night. Can you still enjoy the Gardens?

I see the price for 1-3 tickets for the rides, for 2010 is about $5.00. I don't understand if that means one ticket is $5.00 so 3 tickets would be $15.00???Does that mean a ride, like the Carousel could cost anywhere from $5.00 to $15.00 dollars. Do you know how many tickets are needed to ride the Carousel? Thanks for your help...it is very much appreciated.

Barbie075
February 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
What train do I take to get to Kronberg Castle? Do I catch that train at the central station? Where do I get off? How often does it leave the station? Also how often do they return to the station?

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information you are providing us with. Barbara

Dayenu
February 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
What are harbor buses 901, 902, 903? Are they buses or boats? On the map I found they look like they are moving on canals only.

If we get 24 hr transport passes (not a Copenhagen card for museum + buses) will those lines be covered?

TheGenie
February 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM
What train do I take to get to Kronberg Castle? Do I catch that train at the central station? Where do I get off? How often does it leave the station? Also how often do they return to the station?

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information you are providing us with. Barbara

My notes from what others, including DanishViking, have posted:

Kronborg Castle at Helsingør. http://www.kronborg.dk You can take the bus FURTHER up the coast 46 kilometers (1 hour) and go visit "Hamlet's Castle" up in Helsingør. Most famous royal castle of Denmark - setting of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Great hall is largest in Europe. There are guided tours in English at 11:30 and at 13:30 (and at 11:00 and 13:00 in the casemates). Advised by one reply to buy the ice cream in Helsingør - 30 miles by train from Copenhagen in the city of Elsinore - coastal train (S-train Line F) from Copenhagen central station (Hovedbanegården) to Elsinore Station - leaves every 20 minutes. From the Elsinore station it is a 10 minute walk to the the castle. Trip by train will take 45 minutes.

Ripley's Lady
February 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
What are harbor buses 901, 902, 903? Are they buses or boats? On the map I found they look like they are moving on canals only.

If we get 24 hr transport passes (not a Copenhagen card for museum + buses) will those lines be covered?

That is a good question - I wonder if anyone on the thread can answer the question. we prefer to travel on water if at all possible - and if it is calm and safe.

We appreciate the expert knowledge being shared about the Baltics.:)

Nancy

Danish viking
February 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Wow that was alot of questions and i will get back to all of you in the weekend, but just some quick answers.

@ Calken

C190 is Langelinie so no change of plans there.

@ TheGenie and Barbie075

S-train line F will get you to Farum or Frederikssund, You will have to take the Öresund train heading for Helsingør/Elsinore.

@ Dayenu

They are indeed water busses.

@ Milwaukeeee

I am sorry for misunderstanding your post and i'll hope that your not mad at me, but sometime cultural and language barriers can be a problem so maybe i was to quick to make that comment.

floridafolks
February 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I think I'm very hungry right now so I have to ask...what is/are "polse" and are onion chips what we call onion rings (fried slices of onions)? Sounds delish.
I thought they were sausages usually sold by street vendors????

TheGenie
February 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I see on the map that the #26 bus goes to Freeport (and I've read that it will get you to within a 5-10 minute walk from the ship).

1) Does Bus #26 make a stop at the Nordhavn train station?

2) Does Bus #26 also operate during weekends (specifically Saturday, July 31st) to and from the Free Port Terminal [C245]?

Thanks !

Dayenu
February 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Thank you, Viking! Never been on a water bus - will be a new experience for us!

Danish viking
February 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I will make some long answers to the long questions later in the weekend, but now its time for the short ones.

@ floridafolks

you are correct it is a sausage but i don't know were the onion thing came from because i have only seen them at places like Burger King, not at a pølsevogn.

@ TheGenie

The bus will stop nearby but it is easier to get off at Østerport station instead, but the bus will not go to the freeport terminal in the weekends.

lulu58
February 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
We are arriving for 1 day on the Jewel of the Seas, 6/2/10, 0800-1700. Would like to walk from ship all the way to Tivoli, stopping and seeing the 3 castles and sights along the way knowing that most buildings do not open until 1000. Is this reasonable?
Walking in itself is not the problem, just judging the distance!

bunnysmom
February 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

Enjoy!

Hi,
Need "to do" suggestions. In Copenhagen on a Monday..
don't arrive till 3 pm - leave again at 10 pm.
Any suggestions for sights we may be able to squeeze
into such a short (and late day) time??

swifs
February 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I am trying to figure out whether, in addition to Tivoli, how much of my remaining list is viable. Also, recent posts hav indicated that the Magic will dock at Langelin(?) - where is that in relation to the town. Can we walk from the ship or will we need to get a CPH and take a bus?

The other sites I would like to see are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

Giantfan13
February 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM
We are arriving for 1 day on the Jewel of the Seas, 6/2/10, 0800-1700. Would like to walk from ship all the way to Tivoli, stopping and seeing the 3 castles and sights along the way knowing that most buildings do not open until 1000. Is this reasonable?
Walking in itself is not the problem, just judging the distance!

Ah Lulu, you have asked the great question, since we did just that. I posted this info in another thread on Copenhagen, down the page a bit, but if you email the tourist office in Copenhagen
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/ (click on the contact Us)

And ask them to send you any and all info they can about Copenhagen, they should send you a great map of the city. On this map there are a couple of great walking tours, one of which we did.
It is a basic walking tour that encompasses all the major sites of the city and more, lets you stroll around and it should take about 4-5 hours at a leisurely pace. We also added an hour for the canal boat tour from Nyhavn (a must do), and about 1/2 hour to see the Changing of the Guard at the Palace.
We sort of made a few minor adjustments, but we loved walking around Copenhagen, trying some of the smaller streets, and just stopping when we wanted. One of our highlights, when we were walking back from Rosenborg Castle, we stopped in a park to have some ice cream and just sit and relax. We were there on a Sunday, and so mnay families were out playing and enjoying the marvelous day. We stopped and chatted with several of them, and it really made our visit that much more personal.
again, it is definitely not a hard walk to Tivoli and then back to the ship.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

TheGenie
February 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm a little confused...

Nordhavn train station seems closer to Freeport Terminal C245 than the Østerport train station ?

Since the #26 bus does not go to Freeport on the weekend:

Can I catch a cab to Freeport from either the Østerport station or Nordhavn train station ?

Which train station is easiest to get the cab?

Ripley's Lady
February 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
I will be leaving Copenhagen (after a two day stay) on Vision of the Seas Sept 4th, 2010.
How can we figure out which peir the ship leaves from?
Can anyone tell me?

And the next question is - Can two people with one suitcase each get to that pier by public transportation - maybe with a Copenhagen pass?

Can the passes be purchased for three days?
Many thanks to those who live in Copenhagen for answering these questions!

pixiemax
February 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hi -

I will be in Copenhagen on the Disney Magic on June 27th. We'd like to do a canal cruise and then go to Tivoli. What's the best way to get from the port (Langelinie) to a DFDS canal tour -- from there to Tivoli -- and then from Tivoli back to the boat. Can we walk any part of this or need to take a cab?

Many thanks!

Giantfan13
February 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hi -

I will be in Copenhagen on the Disney Magic on June 27th. We'd like to do a canal cruise and then go to Tivoli. What's the best way to get from the port (Langelinie) to a DFDS canal tour -- from there to Tivoli -- and then from Tivoli back to the boat. Can we walk any part of this or need to take a cab?

Many thanks!

Pixie

See my post a few posts back. The walk from the pier to Nyhavn is about 20-30 minutes and a great walk along the waterfront. From there the walk to Tivoli is maybe a bit longer, but also not a bad walk,. and we loved just walking thru the streets.
From Tivoli depending if you are going into Tivoli, and how long you may be staying there, you can walk to Rosenborg's Castle and from there back to the ship. It should take about an hour at a leisurely pace. If you are tired or need to get back to the ship quicker, yes a cab would do fine. We loved to walk and wander around, so we just loved our time in Copenhagen and the fabulous walking tours.

Cheers

Len

Danish viking
February 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hello again

I have been busy this weekend so i hope that all the long answers can wait a little bit.

To all the new users of the board i can tell you that we were 2 people answering questions in this thread but CruisinEurope who started the thread isn't active anymore so sadly i am the only one posting at this moment.

But back to the quickies

@ TheGenie

You can easily walk to Nordhavn but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice.

txladycruiser
February 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Anyone stayed at the 71 Nyhavn Hotel in Copenhagen? We are looking for a hotel post cruise and this looked interesting.

Thanks.

Karen

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE
February 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
We plan to depart the Star at 6am for a 9:15 am flight back to the States. With luggage and at that hour, public transportation isn't an option for us. What do you recommend? We have to prebook so they'll be waiting for us at the pier that morning. Can we prebook a taxi or car service? Thanks

katz
February 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
I have a questions about the ice bar in Hotel 27. We will be in Copenhagen for just one day. We have booked a shore excursion, but it does not include a visit to the ice bar. It is located close enough to the pier that we might be able to make side trip? Can people just walk in off the street and visit? We are mainly interested in see what it looks like, than actually drinking there.

Thank you for your help.

Danish viking
February 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hello again i hope that your guys still have faith in me, im planning on answering all the questions this weekend because i do have some time off monday + a short day at work saturday.
So there is no excuses from me this time around, even the school where me and my friends practice indoor soccer is closed for the winter holidays. :-)

helpmesailaway
February 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have faith!!!!

You are always so helpful and generous with your time here. Everyone needs a rest now and then - so relax:)

We'll all be here when you return.

Calken
February 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Dear Danish Viking,

I missed the fact that you answered my question about C190 last week. I just saw your answer today.

Thanks very much for letting me know that it is Langelinie. My plans are now back on track!

Calken

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you very much Calken and helpmesailaway :)

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
@ Genie

Danish Viking, how does this sound for a 2nd Day in Copoenhagen?

Ship arrives on Tuesday, August 10th at 5:00AM
Freeport Terminal C245

From what I think I read:

We need to walk 10 minutes to Nordhavn train Station from Freeport terminal.

[Is there a bus from Freeport to Nordhaven? We will have luggage with us]

As you have figured out now you can use bus number 26 and get of at Østerport.

Then 2 options:
1) Take the S-train to the next station at Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport (Lufthavnen).
- or -
2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for airport.
[Our hotel is the airport Hilton ... to drop off our luggage]

[We could also skip going all the way to the Airport Hilton, and just store our luggage at central station until we get back from the two excursions below - What do you suggest?]

I would use the luggage storage at the Central station (København H) so you don´t have to get back to and from the airport.

The only "problem" will be that on the way home from your trip you will have to get off at København H and take your luggage and jump on the next train (on the same service) that are going 10 or 20 minutes after the one you arrived with.

That is only if you are planning on using the Initiary that i posted a few pages back, i believe that you referred to that one.????

We want to see both:

1) Kronborg Castle at Helsingør
2) Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Your directions have been excellent, and I believe I understand how to reach each destination from central station.

Can we fit both excursions easily in the same day (assuming we spend somewhere about 1 - 1.5 hours at each site)?

Which (Kronborg or Frederiksborg) to do first?

It can easily be done in one day, i did this initary with a night in Tivoli at the end, so it is possible. :)
We did it with Frederiksborg first, and the good thing about this is that the last train journey from Helsingør/Elsinore will be with a more comfortable train.

Travel time plus on-site time at Frederiksborg seems to be about 4 hours, or so. Is that also true for Kronborg (assuming we leave from central station)?

The travel time is almost the same and so is the distance from the train stations to the castle.

Sorry about so many questions,

Thank you for all your time and the great hospitality you have awarded us!

Genie

You don´t have to be sorry, no one forces me to do this :)

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Just to clear something out on our Pølsevogns chat!!!! the onion chips are what we call Ristede Løg (Fried Onions) its just Onions sliced into small pieces.

I got all confused about the talk about Onion Rings so i did not think about what you guys were referring to.

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
@ Swifs

I would walk from Langelinie pier were the magic will dock to Frihedsmuseet (Museum of Resistance), its a nice walk trough Kastellet fortress and it will not take a long time.

Just follow the blue line on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pYevw

The museum opens at 10:00 and there is free entrance to the museum.

You can take bus 1A directly to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, you just need to walk to the end of Esplanaden and take Bus 1A (heading for Avedøre St.) from the busstop located at Esplanaden/Store Kongensgade.

The bus stop you will get off at is Named Stormgade/Glyptoteket.

The National Museum is in walking distance from the Glyptotek so i would choose that above Rosenborg Castle.

The entrance is free and it will tell you a great part of the danish history, even more than Rosenborg Castle.

When you get home you simply just walk to the bus stop Stormbroen, Nationalmuseet and take bus number 26 back to Langelinie Pier.

Just remember that the sign on the bus must read Langelinie (the cruise ships) and not Færgehavn nord.

The bus to Langelinie Pier is departing att XX:03, XX:23 and XX:43.

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
@ Snowy69

There is a dedicated Tivoli thread so i will advice you to check that out because i think that you questions is answered in there.

@ Barbie 075

I forgot to tell you that the Öresund trains to and from Helsingør is going every 20th minute.

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
@ Lulu58

I´m guessing that you talk about Amalienborg, Rosenborg and Christiansborg Castles.

The distance from Langelinie Pier to Amalienborg is around 1,8 km counting detours (we can´t fly)

Amalienborg to Rosenborg is around 1,2 km

Rosenborg to Christiansborg is 1,1 km

Christiansborg to Tivoli is 1,2 km

I took the most logical routes so no smart shortcuts here.

@ BunnysMum

My best suggestion is to take bus number 26 from the pier into Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv and cath a Canal tour boat from there.

After the tour you can walk down Strøget shopping street to Tivoli and be there the remainer of the day.
Bus number 26 will only go until 18:35 from the central station and Tivoli so after that you can take a train to Østerport train station and walk from there or take a taxi.

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM
@ Genie

Just to clear something up.

I posted this to you
You can easily walk to Nordhavn but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice.

That i was meant to say was this...

You can easily walk tothe freeport terminal from Nordhavn station but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice because there are more taxis available at Østerport.

Furthermore the walk to or from Nordhavn station is about 1 km long

Just look at this map.
http://map.krak.dk/m/pYB5D

I hope that i answered all the question but if someone is missing a answer or want further explanation to my replys, just ask again. :)

GoVolsTB
February 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Danish Viking....

I am just trying to lay out an itinerary for our 2 1/2 days in Copenhagen after our cruise.

Day #1....to hotel (Marriott) from ship. Thinking of a canal tour/waterbus to get a feel for Copenhagen. Possibly lunch at Nyhavn....back to hotel to check in...evening to Tivoli.

Day #2....Christianborg Slot....changing of the guard...Hans Christian Anderson Rosenborg Slot Tour in the afternoon. Possibly have the chance to visit some meuseums in the area.

Day #3....Fredericksborg Slot in AM the on to Kronborg Slot in afternoon. ?? do we need to go back to central station from Fredericksborg to go to Kronborg? Is this the best use of a whole day??

Day #4......5AM to airport for a 7:30AM departure.

We have already ordered the Copenhagen Card so I would hope that a lot of the costs of this itinerary will be covered.

Do you think this is a good plan?or wqould you offer some other suggestions on how to best maximize our time in your beautiful city. Also would like to spend some more time in Tivoli.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Danish Viking....

I am just trying to lay out an itinerary for our 2 1/2 days in Copenhagen after our cruise.

Day #1....to hotel (Marriott) from ship. Thinking of a canal tour/waterbus to get a feel for Copenhagen. Possibly lunch at Nyhavn....back to hotel to check in...evening to Tivoli.

It sounds like a good plan, but maybe a short visit to Strøget shopping street that starts (or ends if you like) at Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn.

Day #2....Christianborg Slot....changing of the guard...Hans Christian Anderson Rosenborg Slot Tour in the afternoon. Possibly have the chance to visit some meuseums in the area.

Changing of the guards is at Amalienborg Castle, not christiansborg.
The Resistance museum and Rosenborg Castle is not that far from Amalienborg Castle.

Day #3....Fredericksborg Slot in AM the on to Kronborg Slot in afternoon. ?? do we need to go back to central station from Fredericksborg to go to Kronborg? Is this the best use of a whole day??

No Lokalbanen will get you from Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg), it goes every hour at XX:00
Between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30 it also departs at XX:30.

The travel time is 28 minutes.

Day #4......5AM to airport for a 7:30AM departure.

We have already ordered the Copenhagen Card so I would hope that a lot of the costs of this itinerary will be covered.

Transportation is covered
Here is a list of things that are free or reduced.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/cphcard/whats_included

Do you think this is a good plan?or wqould you offer some other suggestions on how to best maximize our time in your beautiful city. Also would like to spend some more time in Tivoli.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

TheGenie
February 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
DanishViking - Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city. Your instructions are very clear, and now I have a good plan how to get around comfortably on Day 1 in Copenhagen. My plans for Day 1 in Copenhagen - and ship embarkation - are this:

1) Arrive CPH at 7:30 AM 7/31/10

2) Using our pre-purchased CPH card, take the train or metro from the airport to Copenhagen central station (Hovedbanegården) and store luggage at Copenhagen Central Station by Track 11/12.

3) The take an "early" train at 08:25 from the (Hovedbanegården) central station (S-train line E to Hillerød) to Frederiksborg Castle. There is just under 1 mile (1.4 km) from the train station to the castle, and it includes a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle. Optionally take bus number 701, 702, 703, or 325 from the train station the rest of the way to the castle and save our legs. We noted the S-train for Hillerød departs from (Hovedbanegården) Central station every 20 minutes at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:55.

After touring Frederiksborg Castle, on the way back to Copenhagen we'll catch the bus from just outside the castle (or walk). The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate - it drives towards Egedammen, but it is in the direction of the train station. The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to a S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen by 12:20.

(Note - if the weather is bad, we'll stay in town on Day 1 and save Frederiksborg for Day 2 in Copenhagen)

4) Grab lunch outside the Central Station (Hovedbanegården).

5) Then walk/HOHO and see as many in-city sites as we have time inside the old city of Copenhagen, using the CityCirkel HOHO buses that run in central Copenhagen using our CPH card. The circular trip takes one hour total, during which you pass in front of some of Copenhagen's top tourist sights and attractions, such as City Hall Square, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Tivoli, The National Museum, Christiansborg Palace, Nyhavn and The Round Tower.

6) Return to Central Station around 4:00 - 4:30 PM and pick up our luggage.

7) Take the S-train to Østerport.

8) From Østerport, take a taxi the rest of the way to Freeport Terminal C245.

9) Ship leaves at 7:00 PM.

1st cruse day is at sea, so we'll be able to sleep in and rest...

Since we'll be returning on Tuesday, 8/10 at 5:00AM, and not flying out until the following day, Wednesday 8/11, I have also formulated a Day 2 visit plan in Copenhagen that includes:

Viking Ship Museum and Cathedral in Roskilde
Louisiana
Kronborg Castle at Helsingør
The rest of the in-town Copenhagen sites we are interested in...

Thanks!

Genie

Danish viking
February 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I would put these 2 destinations on the same trip together if you decided for doing this.

Louisiana
Kronborg Castle at Helsingør

GoVolsTB
February 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Danish Viking...

Thank you so much for all of your VERY helpful information.

I think our plan is pretty well set but I did want to ask one thing....maybe more before we leave in April!!!...if we were only going to visit one castle..Frederickborg or Kronborg, which one would you recommend. I know if we go to Kronborg, it would be possible to also visit Roskilde. Would that be a better choice? We are just trying to see as much as possible in a short time.

Thank you again...

Danish viking
February 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Roskilde is located 25-30km west of Copenhagen and Helsingør is located around 40 km to the north of Copenhagen it would be more easy to to visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles at once so you avoid to much travel time.

GoVolsTB
February 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Danish Viking....

Thank you so much. You have been most helpful. We would also like to add the Segway tour but unfortunately we will be running out of time. I was just trying to figure out if there was something we could skip si that we could add the segway.

gkkapp
February 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Danish Viking-

We will be staying at the Marriott Hotel overnight before our cruise leaves. Our plan is to take the train from the airport to the Central Station and walk to the hotel from there. Looks like this about a 1/2 mile walk. We have luggage with wheels so we can pull the bags along. Is this possible to do or are we facing an impossible task.

Thanks for all your wonderful help so far.

<<<Karen>>>

Danish viking
February 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
@ TB

You are brave, i do imagine people starring and pointing at you. :)
I have never seen a Segway in Copenhagen but i´m guessing that your group will stick out of the masses.

The price is 400 dkk per person, money easily spent on other things.

@ gkkapp

It´s a easy walk, just turn right when you come out of the Tivoli Entrance at the central station and when the street ends at Kalvebod Brygge you just turn left and the hotel will appear on your right hand after a couple of hundred meters.

The sidewalk is not perfect but not in bad conditions.

TheGenie
February 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Roskilde is located 25-30km west of Copenhagen and Helsingør is located around 40 km to the north of Copenhagen it would be more easy to to visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles at once so you avoid to much travel time.

I just looked at a Google Map of Denmark and now realize Kronborg and Frederiksborg are relatively close to one another, so they should be done together on the same outing! Let me see if I have my directions between the two correct?

To Helsingør (Kronborg Castle ) to/from Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle):
Catch the “Lille Nord” Lokalbanen (private?) train at Hillerød toward Helsingør. It departs on the hour at XX:00 between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30. It also departs on the half hour at XX:30 between then. The travel time is 28 minutes.

If the above is correct, that will make easy travel between Helsingør (Kronborg Castle ) and Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle).

If so, we'll save Roskilde for our 2nd day in Copenhagen.

Thanks!

Danish viking
February 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
That is indeed correct.

I would finish with Kronborg because the Öresund trains that are in service between Helsingør and Copenhagen almost have the same comfort as a Intercity train and not the mass transit feel of the S-train and Lokalbanen.

You can really relax in those seats and you need that after a long day visiting 2 castles.

Just so you can see witch train you gonna use (yes im a train nerd)

The S-train

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/sa_hl.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/dsb_sa_3.jpg

Lokalbanen

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/Helsingor6.jpg

Öresund train

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/Otog.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/DSB_ET_i.jpg

Danish viking
February 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
And the inside of a Lokalbanen train, the picture is a little but small but you get the meaning of it.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/bongoanders/coradia7_jpg.jpg

gkkapp
February 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks Danish Viking!! That's exactly what we wanted to know.

I enjoyed your train photos. While the trains themselves are not "my thing" I do collect railroad china, pieces that were used in the dinning cars during the height of America railroad travel.

<<<Karen>>>

funtimer
February 28th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have read quite a bit about independent tours, but are there any reliable private tour companies that anyone would recommend. Our ship will be in port in Copenhagen June 7 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p. m. com. and four of us would like to arrange a private tour rather than use the ship's excursions.

Thank you

Danish viking
February 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
@ gkkapp

Life would be sad without a hobby, lucky for you one of my hobbys are ships and that was the reason that i found this forum.

Actually i have a interest in everythings moving, that is ships, cars and trains but surprisingly i care less for aeroplanes.

The only cruise i have been on is a mini cruise between Copenhagen and Oslo and a overnight ferry between Larvik in Norway and Frederikshavn in Denmark.

@ funtimer

I don´t know a company but guides.dk have all the guides listed.

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

funtimer
February 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you for your suggestion.

brandysmommy
February 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
We are looking to spend our morning in Tivoli and then possibly go to the Open Air Museum. I looked on the website for the Open Air Museum and can't find directions on how to get there other than in Dutch. How easy or difficult is it to use public transportation to get there? If easy, what is the best route? How long should it take?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

seven1113
February 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
You are terrific and I have read much of this site, but need your advice. I will be staying at the Bethel Hotel, on the Nyhavn... Do you approve???
Thank you.
Carolyn
s e v e n 1 1 1 3 @ y a h o o . c o m

Danish viking
March 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
@ Brandysmommy

The open air museum (frilandsmuseet) is located 600 meters from Sorgenfri station.
Tivoli is located next door to the central station (København H) so you just hit track 9 and 10 and jump on S-train line B towards Holte and get off at Sorgenfri.

Just turn right when you come up from the station on the road Skovbrynet and follow it under the freeway until you reach Kongevejen.

Then you turn left on Kongevejen and it will soon appear on your right hand.

But please notice that there also is a station called Skovbrynet but it's on another line.

@ seven1113

Many users on this board has approved the hotel and the location is almost perfect for touring downtown Copenhagen.

If you come from the airport you can just take the Metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

brandysmommy
March 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
@ Brandysmommy

The open air museum (frilandsmuseet) is located 600 meters from Sorgenfri station.
Tivoli is located next door to the central station (København H) so you just hit track 9 and 10 and jump on S-train line B towards Holte and get off at Sorgenfri.

Just turn right when you come up from the station on the road Skovbrynet and follow it under the freeway until you reach Kongevejen.

But please notice that there also is a station called Skovbrynet but it's on another line.

@ seven1113

Many users on this board has approved the hotel and the location is almost perfect for touring downtown Copenhagen.

If you come from the airport you can just take the Metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

Thank you so much!!! Do these trains run continously throughout the day? How long is the train ride approximately - Thanks so much!!!

seven1113
March 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hello there and thank you so much for the help.
Carolyn

@ Brandysmommy

@ seven1113

Harry Cane
March 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Seven, is hotel name just Bethel? I was looking at Hotels.com and couldn't find it.

Danish Viking, what do you think about hotels near the Central Station? I'll need to get back to the airport a couple of times to pick up friends coming on later days. The location seems pretty central to both the S train and the metro and it looks close to many things.

Danish viking
March 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
@ brandysmommy

The trip to Sorgenfri takes 23 minutes from the central station and it goes every 10th minute in the daytime from monday to saturday, but only between aprox 10:00 and around 15:00 at saturdays.

In the early morning and after aprox. 19:00 on weekdays, 15:00 on saturdays and all day at sundays it goes every 20th minutes.

@ Harry Cane

Just look at www.hotel-bethel.dk and you will find all the info.

If you want a good hotel located close to the central station i can suggest The Square, SAS Radisson, Hotel Imperial and Hotel Astoria that is located closest to the central station.

The low price hotels in the area is Cab-inn City behind Tivoli and Wake Up that is located in the new Tivoli Congress Center together with a new quality hotel that hasn't opened yet.

amgrumpy
March 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
Two adults coming to Copenhagen in June for 2 pre and 1 post cruise days. Interested in doing a canal tour and a hop-on/hop-off tour. Any recommendations? Other things we should see? Good restaurants?

Harry Cane
March 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
@ Harry Cane

Just look at www.hotel-bethel.dk (http://www.hotel-bethel.dk) and you will find all the info.

If you want a good hotel located close to the central station i can suggest The Square, SAS Radisson, Hotel Imperial and Hotel Astoria that is located closest to the central station.

The low price hotels in the area is Cab-inn City behind Tivoli and Wake Up that is located in the new Tivoli Congress Center together with a new quality hotel that hasn't opened yet.

Tak!

swifs
March 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thank you so much for your help. CruiseCritic Message boards are always invaluable.

Can you tell me more about the buses? How much do they cost; do they only accept exact change? Would I be better off purchasing the CPH Card in advance (which would include admission to Tivoli and the Gypotek)?

Sherry Baby
March 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I don't think anyone ever asked you this: We wish to go to Edinburgh (one-way) when our cruise ends at Copenhagen in July. Is Norwegian Air legitimate and one that Americans can consider? They are priced far less than SAS or BMI. Are they poor with customer service, like RyanAir? I see they charge for baggage. I don't want to enter into something that I shouldn't just to save a little money.

Sherry

sddsddean
March 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think anyone ever asked you this: We wish to go to Edinburgh (one-way) when our cruise ends at Copenhagen in July. Is Norwegian Air legitimate and one that Americans can consider? They are priced far less than SAS or BMI. Are they poor with customer service, like RyanAir? I see they charge for baggage. I don't want to enter into something that I shouldn't just to save a little money.

Sherry

Passenger reviews at http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/norwegian.htm

Simon

Danish viking
March 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM
@ amgrumpy

Well what do you want to see, there are lots of things to do in Copenhagen, i could make a suggestion but i would most likely shoot in the dark as we say in Denmark.

If you look just 5-10 pages back you will probably find something that you want to see.

aok.dk has a good guide to Copenhagen's many restaurants, but yet again tell me what type of food you like and price range and i can give you some recomment's.

@ Harry Cane

Selv tak.

@ swifs

The bus driver will accept small notes if you decide to buy a single but i'm guessing that it is out of the question, because you will have to buy a Cph Card or a City pass at the Tourist office at Langelinie pier.

The CPH Card is only a good option if you are planning on seeing alot, try to do a math of the entrance fee's and transportation and see what is cheapest.
The City Pass that cost 70 dkk will give you unlimited transportation in central Copenhagen for 24 hours versus the CPH Card that is priced at 225 dkk (229 dkk after april 1th)

So if the entrance fee's are higher that 159 i will suggest a CPH Card.

@ Sherry Baby

I have no personal experience with Norwegian, but i can only say good things about SAS because they had a good service on their flights to Stuttgart and Stockholm.

Paula48
March 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
My ancestors come from the area around Grasten. I would like to visit the Flensborg Fjord area for a day---from Copenhagen. What is the best way to get there? We would prefer to go by public transportation, but have had no luck on the RailEurope website. We are hoping to contact distant relatives. I think they would meet us at a train station and show us around. We will rent a car for the journey if public transportation is very difficult, but a train or bus would be more relaxing.

Danish viking
March 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
You would have to take a Intercity train towards Sønderborg and after 3 hours and 27 minutes you are in Gråsten.

The train will depart at 05:30, 07:30, 09:30 from the central station (København H) and so on every second hour.

From Gråsten the direct train back to Copenhagen goes at 16:12, 18:12 and 20:12, the last one at 22:12 is including a chance of train in Fredericia.

The trip home takes 3 hours and 37 minutes and the one at 20:12 takes 3:43 for some odd reason.
But don't ask me why the trip is 10 minutes longer on the way back.

If you decide to take the last one home it will include a 29 minute waiting time in Fredericia and you will be back in Copenhagen at 02:36 but if you take the one at 20:12 you will be back at 23:55.

High C's
March 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
We are disembarking in Copenhagen and taking a cruise line's tour, which ends at the airport. We will be given a quick tour of Copenhagen, and then spend a few hours on our own at Tivoli Gardens.

I am at a loss to know how much local currency I should have for that day. We will just need money for a beverage or two and perhaps a bite to eat. Between being unfamiliar with the Danish krone and the prices in Copenhagen (which I understand are quite high) I really need some guidance.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! :)

cruisesusie
March 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know if there are taxis available at the pier. Also, is the a HOHO bus?

Thanks,

Susan

Paula48
March 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
You would have to take a Intercity train towards Sønderborg and after 3 hours and 27 minutes you are in Gråsten.

The train will depart at 05:30, 07:30, 09:30 from the central station (København H) and so on every second hour.

From Gråsten the direct train back to Copenhagen goes at 16:12, 18:12 and 20:12, the last one at 22:12 is including a chance of train in Fredericia.

The trip home takes 3 hours and 37 minutes and the one at 20:12 takes 3:43 for some odd reason.
But don't ask me why the trip is 10 minutes longer on the way back.

If you decide to take the last one home it will include a 29 minute waiting time in Fredericia and you will be back in Copenhagen at 02:36 but if you take the one at 20:12 you will be back at 23:55.
Mange tak, Danish Viking. This is exactly the information we need. No need to rent a car if we can get good transportation via trains. We are 61 and 62. Is that old enough for senior rates? It is unfortunate that I do not read Dansk, since the dsb website only gives corporate information in English---as far as I can see. You are MUCH more help.

Danish viking
March 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
@ Paula48

You have to be 65 to get the senior rate but most of the time you can get a cheap ticket called Orange, i can see what discouts there are if you tell me when you are planing on doing this.

But try to avoid traveling on fridays and sundays because many students, soldiers and so on are traveling home for the weekend and back again when the weekend ends, and therefore you can't get a good discount on these day.

@ High C's

If you avoid the pricy Tivoli restaurant's you can get a decent meal (hotdog and and other fastfood) and a cola or a beer for around 70-100 dkk.

@ cruisesusie

There are always taxi's available at both the freeport terminal and at Langelinie cruise pier.

I have only seen the Hoho busses at Langelinie but check out sightseeing.dk for further information.

Paula48
March 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Danish Viking, you are the best. I tried the dsb website again and I saw the Orange ticket listed, but had no idea what it was. I did not see the scheduled times that you mentioned, and the actual journeys were all a lot longer--like 5 hours and more! (Obviously I am doing something wrong.) I will very much appreciate your help when I start the booking process. I believe it is too early now to book for September, is that right?
We will arrive in Copenhagen about 07:30 on Saturday, September 4 and leave on the 7th, so our trip to Grasten will have to be on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I guess I will have to leave the date up to my distant cousins.
Thank you so much for your time and effort. You have already been a great help. :D
Paula

alawman
March 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM
We are arriving in Copenhagen on May 13--Thurs, 2010 aboard NCL Sun. We have a day on Copenhagen and since we have been there several times, we would like to first go to Frederiksborg Castle. I see a post about the 24 hr card that would cover the cost of the S-train. What is the cost of that card for Sr. citizens? and does it include local transportation to and from the port to the train station? What about cost of the museum? and other sites in town like Thorvaldsen's and RoundTower?
Thank you for your reply.
Alawman's wife

TheGenie
March 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
We are arriving in Copenhagen on May 13--Thurs, 2010 aboard NCL Sun. We have a day on Copenhagen and since we have been there several times, we would like to first go to Frederiksborg Castle. I see a post about the 24 hr card that would cover the cost of the S-train. What is the cost of that card for Sr. citizens? and does it include local transportation to and from the port to the train station? What about cost of the museum? and other sites in town like Thorvaldsen's and RoundTower?
Thank you for your reply.
Alawman's wife

Read this:
http://online.citybreak.com/Search/Other/SearchOther.aspx?pdid=4525&onlineid=1459618727&culture=en

pmat
March 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
What would be the best way to go from the Bethel to the cruise port? There'll be 4 adults plus 4 bags.
Thanks in advance.
Pmat

Danish viking
March 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
@ Paula48

The timetable is from page 38 to 41 in this pdf file.

http://www.dsb.dk/Global/PDF/Koereplaner/Intercity/K10/InterCity%20M65%20-til%20internettet-.pdf

But you can only book a ticket 3 months before.

If you can avoid Sunday and take the trip Saturday or Monday it would be the best.

I just looked at a random monday and the cheap price at 139 dkk was only for the early 05:30 or the late 11:30 departure.

The better departure times at 07:30 and 09:30 is at the normal price at 364 dkk

On the way home it looks better

The 18:12 departure is at 229 dkk and the 20:12 is at 139 dkk.

These prices includes a seat reservation and they are only valid for that departure so if you miss it you have to buy a new ticket for the next departure.

Also important to know is that you have to buy them online or book them on the phone.
The phone number (0045) 70 13 14 15 has a english option if you dial 3 after calling up the number.

Then you will get a reservation code that is valid for 14 days that you just show at the ticket office at the train station.

@ alawman

All transportation is covered with this card, Train (not Intercity Train to Roskilde) S-train, Metro, Busses and Water busses.

The list with free entrance is here

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/content/turist/hvad_sker_der_i_byen/cphcard/hvad_er_inkluderet/gratis

The list with only discounts are here

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/content/turist/hvad_sker_der_i_byen/cphcard/hvad_er_inkluderet/rabat

@ pmat

That is hard to say if i don´t know the pier your ship is at or wich day your ship departure.

There are 3 cruise piers, Nordre Toldbod, Langelinie pier and the Freeport Terminal.

Normally you can take bus number 26 but it don´t reach the Freeport terminal in the weekend and it does not reach Nordre Toldbod at all.

To Nordre Toldbod you can use bus number 15 or 1A towards Østerbro, Ryparken or Hellerup st. and get off at Esplanaden/Grønningen and walk from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9GN6

All the busses are going from Kongen Nytorv/Magasin

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9G4p

Also waterbus 901 from Nyhavn reach Nordre Toldbod

If you need to get to Freeport Terminal in the weekend you just take the Metro Line M1 or M2 from Kongens Nytorv towards Vanløse and get off at Nørreport Station.

From here you take a S-train heading north towards Klampenborg, Holte, Hillerød or Farum and get off at Nordhavn Station.

From here you can see the cruiseships but you need to walk a little bit.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p9GLH

floatinrocks
March 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
We will be arriving at CPH airport on the Sunday and our NCL ship leaves on the Tuesday. I've read a lot of your posts and have settled on either Adina Apt. Hotel or Copenhagen Admiral Hotel to stay at. We will definitely buy the 72 hour CPH card as you've recommended.

My question is how do we get from the airport to our hotel? There is no shuttle offered. We only speak English and are concerned about getting lost.:o Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.\
Thanks in advance.

Danish viking
March 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral is located in walking distance from Kongens Nytorv Metro station that you can reach from the airport in around 15 minutes.

Adina is located close to the DFDS ferry terminal, a shuttle bus 20E (only between 14:00 and 17:00) and bus number 26 will get you closest to the hotel and it's reached from Central Station, Kongens Nytorv Metro station or Østerport station.

You can also walk from Østerport to the hotel in 10 minutes time.

The Central Station and Østerport is served by the airport train so there is no need to change train to get there.

Btw, most danish people talks and understand english so you can always ask for help or directions

reynoldswrap
March 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have read on this thread that the 24 hour transport card is available at Langelinie Pier; however, the visitor information office says it is not - the first available spot to purchase the card is Osterport. Is this correct? Thank you for all of your help!

amgrumpy
March 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I would like to do a canal tour, bus tour, and the Danish Design Center. Other ideas are the zoo and kayaking, would like some danish museums. Want to find unique danish historical and cultural things to do.

We like all types of food but naturally want to try a typical danish restaurant so that we could sample some of the great danish food. Any good suggestions? Price range is hard to say but let's go with up to $100 US dollars (545 DKK) for 2.
Hope this helps. I will check out the guide you mentioned.

floatinrocks
March 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the directions. I was looking for The Palace Hotel and found the Scandic Palace Hotel is that the same one because nothing came up for the Palace Hotel.

Is it worth the price difference between the Adina Apartment Hotel and the Square Hotel just to be closer? I take it you can walk from the Square Hotel to everything but not from the Adina?
Thanks

Danish viking
March 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
@ floatinrocks

Palace and The Square are located at the town hall square right in the middle of Copenhagen.

Adina is as i posted before located close to the DFDS ferry terminal and Langelinie cruise pier so you are depending on good legs or public transportation to get there from downtown Copenhagen.

@ amgrumpy

Now you gave me something to work with :-)

I will make up a schedule later in the week because we do have some long days at work preparing our summer furnitures and that has to be finished on friday so i will answer you this weekend.

lulutoo
March 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I could use your help in deciding if we can reasonably make a12:20 pm flight out of Copenhagen to the US upon the early am return of our RCI Vision of the Seas cruise in August. I don't know how far from the Port the Airport is or how long procedures at the airport would take. The other alternatives are more expensive and leave at 2 and 3 pm- I would hate to have to pay more and wait longer , but I do not want to miss the flight as I realize each airline ( SAS and Delta are two I have found) has very limited flights daily to the US should one leave without us..

wongri
March 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Good morning!,

Our family will be arriving in Copenhagen on Celebrity Constellation this August.
We are 5 adults and would like to arrange a private tour.
Would you be able to recommend some tour companies that we may contact to arrange?

Many thanks,
Rita

Harry Cane
March 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I could use your help in deciding if we can reasonably make a12:20 pm flight out of Copenhagen to the US upon the early am return of our RCI Vision of the Seas cruise in August. I don't know how far from the Port the Airport is or how long procedures at the airport would take. The other alternatives are more expensive and leave at 2 and 3 pm- I would hate to have to pay more and wait longer , but I do not want to miss the flight as I realize each airline ( SAS and Delta are two I have found) has very limited flights daily to the US should one leave without us..

I have the same question. I'm on Princess Star and we dock at 5:00 a.m. but not sure what time we'll be able to disembark. I'd like to think it would be no later than 7:00. Any chance I can make an intra-european flight at 10:55? Are taxis readily available now?

Danish viking
March 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM
@ reynoldswrap

That is correct there used to be a small tourist office at the pier but now there is something instead called Town Shop that sells souveniers

So to clarify, the nearest point from both Freeport, Nordre Toldbod and Langelinie that you can buy the CPH Card is at Østerport Station.

@ Harry Cane and lulutoo

Both of you can make it without problems because a taxi trip takes around 30 minutes but give yourself around 1 hour so you are on the safe side.

If you want to prebook a taxi i would suggest dantaxi.dk

@ wongri

Try guides.dk

reynoldswrap
March 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Danish Viking - thank you so much for all of your help! Please have a great weekend!!!

Harry Cane
March 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks again, D.V.

Danish viking
March 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Thank you very much Harry Cane and reynoldswrap.

Danish viking
March 14th, 2010, 07:05 AM
@ amgrumpy

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and the national museum are the obvious choices for a visit to "some danish museum".

Bus 2A will get you to danish design center from both the national museum and the glyptotek if you want to do them on the same day.

The bus stop is located at knippelsbro at the end of Strandgade were DDC is located (at number 27B)

You can do the Ho/Ho bus tour at the same day as the zoo, if you go to the zoo i will suggest you to check out the new elephant house by Norman Foster.

For some danish food i will suggest.

Ida Davisen

http://www.idadavidsen.dk/index.php?page=8

Restaurant Koefoed

http://www.restaurant-koefoed.dk/

Restaurant Kanalen

http://www.restaurant-kanalen.dk/

dallascruiser
March 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hello,
We will be arriving by cruise ship and will be in Copenhagen for 1 day. Where can we purchase the Copenhagen Card?

Thank You So Much,
Linda

johnmik1
March 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hello,
We will be arriving by cruise ship and will be in Copenhagen for 1 day. Where can we purchase the Copenhagen Card?

Thank You So Much,
Linda

I got ours online.Just do a search and you will find it!

Gary72
March 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I have a question about the coins...When we were in Copenhagen about three years ago, the coins (Kr) had holes in them. Recently, a friend who had travelled to Denmark gave my son some coins. It appeared that the older 1 kr were larger and without holes. Are the older coins still accepted. I know that the 25 ore and less are not...Thank you in advance...

reynoldswrap
March 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Linda - the web site is www.copenhagencard.com (http://www.copenhagencard.com/) Also, post #1609 by Danish Viking details info between the CPH card and the 24 hour transport card (city pass).

JERMEY
March 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Can I use the cphcard for admission to the Kronborg Castle?

Also, how do I get from the airport to The Square Hotel, using the cphcard. Thanks

chrismo1
March 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
To Gary 72: All bills issued since 1945 and coins issued since 1875 are valid tender. exceptions are coins of value 25 øre or less. The old 1 kr. coins without hole are thus also valid. You might get a puzzled look from shop attendants, though, since the larger 1 kr. coins without hole were withdrawn from circulation in 1989 and and never seen in circulation anymore. But if it fails in a shop, you could always get them exchanged in a bank.

Danish viking
March 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
@ dallascruiser

The nearest place to buy the CPH Card when coming from the cruiseports are Østerport station but its easier to buy them online.

@ JERMEY

The CPH Card will give you transportation to Helsingør but not acces or reduced entrance to Kronborg Castle but here is a price list for what's included in the tickets.

Ticket Prices Admission to Adults Children 15 - 18 years Children 6 - 14 years
Ticket*1 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel - Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer) 90 DKK 65 DKK 25 DKK

Ticket*2 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel 65 DKK 65 DKK 25 DKK

Ticket*3 Casemates - Castle Chapel 30 DKK 30 DKK 20 DKK

Ticket*4 Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer) 50 DKK Free Free

www.kronborgslot.dk

From the airport you just take the Airport/Øresund train (not the Metro) to the central station (København H) and simply just going left around Tivoli until you reach the town hall square and you will find The Square on your left hand.

@ Gary72

http://www.kgl-moent.dk/dkm/uk/specialdocuments.nsf and http://www.nationalbanken.dk/dnuk/specialdocuments.nsf will tell you all about the danish coins.

chrismo1
March 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
To Jermey: Only the Maritime museum loceted inside the castle is free with the card. To visit other parts of the castle, you have to pay. To get from the airport to the Square hotel, take the train (Not the Metro) to Central Station and walk to Rådhuspladsen (Town hall square) from there. The train is free with the card. The trains to Copenhagen depart from track 2 underneath the arrivals hall (Terminal 3).

Gary72
March 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
gary

Taxguy77
March 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Enjoy!

Have been there twice, once many years before you were born, and with my DW about 15 years ago. I agree with you except......EASY city to explore. DW and I left our hotel for a walk we walked to a corner, turned right, walked to the next, turned right and repeated 2 more times, at which point rather being back at our hotel we were LOST! After wandering in the general direction of the hotel, we stopped at a neat little shop and had a beer while enjoying the faint waft of MJ smoke. I agree, at no time did we feel uncomfortable.
I had heard that for 50 years, English was a required language in school. Coming off a tour, we didn't have time to cross town to our hotel, dress for dinner and get to the restaurant for our reservation, with no tables available the rest of the night, so we walked. I tried to check with several people where a certain street was and nobody spoke Eng., but all were concerned and tried to help. NOTE: Carry a map. A pad of paper and pen would have been useful, too. Only having gone a few steps out of the way, I asked a group of businessmen who all seemed to understand Eng. and the Five Flys was pointed out to us, just down the street with very little in signage.
The four of us who toured before I was married ate at a few memorable places, and I remembered The Five Flys for over 50 years before having the chance to return. Our waiter said "I may have been your server, Ive been here 42 years, and I replied I was here over 50 years ago and my server then had been here a long time.". Quite pricey now (about $50 for the special), but we recommended it to some friends who would be there a couple of days and they agreed; OUTSTANDING.

Sheal
March 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Danish Viking,

I would like to visit Vor Frelsors Kirke at the end of our day. Would I take bus 83N or 85N from Vor Freslers Kirke to Osterport St to bet back to Langelinie or is there another stop that would get me closer?

I am a little confused looking at the map and am worried about how long it will actually take to get back to the ship on time.

Tak,

Sheal

Sheal
March 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I guess I read the map wrong. It appears that the stop near the church is Holmens Kirke.

Sheal:o

chrismo1
March 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM
@Sheal
Bus numbers ending with N (as 83N or 85N) are night services! (1 am to 5 am approx.) They don't run during the day.

Sheal
March 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
chrismo1,

I might be a lost cause! Thanks for that bit of info. I need to get back on the website while I am awake and enter the exact time I plan to actually ride on the bus.

Sheal

candydane
March 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Years ago we drove all over Germany & Switzerland, staying in "zimmerfre" or "pensions" (not sure of spelling) that were basically bed & breakfast accommodations in people's private homes. We really enjoyed the opportunity to have one-on-one experiences with the people we met.

If I remember correctly, they were kinda licensed by the government, who posted the small identification signs. Everyone we stayed at during the month were immaculate and the people all friendly -- even the ones who didn't speak English were fun with hand signals! :D

Are there similar homes/rooms in Copenhagen? Suggestion for maybe a website to check it out? Some way to pre-reserve our room before we arrive on our flight?

I'm sorry if you already answered this but I couldn't find anything with searching this thread.

Thanks.

cruisesusie
March 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
We're thinking of taking the HOHO bus. We're docking at Langeline pier. How far is Tivoli from there and are there other attractions along the way? If walking is an option, we would rather do that. We're walkers so distance isn't a problem. Thanks for any info.

Susan

Danish viking
March 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
@ Sheal

The stop at Holmens kirke is located over 1 km away on the other side of the harbour so i would not use this stop.

Vor Frelser Kirke (Our Saviors Church) is located on Dronningens gade and the Christanshavn Metro station is located just at the end of the street 150 meters away.

From Christianshavn you can either take the metro one stop to Kongens Nytorv and catch bus number 26 directly to Langelinie.

The bus goes at XX:08, XX:28 and XX:48, the bus has 2 different destinations and the one going to freeport cruise terminal and not langelinie goes at XX:18, XX:38 and XX:58.

You can use the bus to freeport but you will have to walk 3-400 meters to Langelinie from the DFDS Ferry Terminal.

You can also take the Metro one stop further to Nørreport and then change to a S-train to Hillerød, Holte, Klampenborg or Farum or a Øresund train to Helsingør or Nivå or a DSB Eurocity, ICE, Intercity or Regional train to Østerport and one stop further you will be at Østerport.

@ candydane

Here is a list of Bed and breakfast´s in Copenhagen.
http://www.bedandbreakfastoverblik.dk/ferie/denmark/bedandbreakfast-koebenhavn/

@ cruisesusie

The trip can be done in 50 minutes and it is a little bit over 4 km´s long.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pCMam

Sheal
March 17th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Danish Viking,

Thank you. Now I can accurately figure out if I have enough time to squeeze this church in. It looks very interesting, like so many of them.:)

LDIdeals
March 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Are you aware of any reputable tour that will pick a couple and their luggage up at the airport and do a few hour drive around Copenhagen before heading to the ship? My husband and I will arrive in Sept. for a cruise and will arrive at airport in early a.m. and ship needs to be boarded between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. or so. Or, if you board the ship and are on early, can you get off the ship and get a hop on hop off bus and travel around a few hours and return to ship? Thanks in advance!

Kugel
March 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
We are looking at the excursion from Royal Caribbean to Tivoli Gardens and a canal boat trip (4 hours) for $86. per person. Can you recommend a local company that would do the same perhaps for less. I would think trying to do it ourselves would require taxis to get to each place and would be more. Any help would be appreciated and I apologize if this has been asked before through these many pages on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

candydane
March 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM
THANKS for the B&B link -- that's exactly what I wanted!!

Sheal
March 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Kugel,

Yes, you can certainly do the Tivoli Garden/Canal trip for so much less than $86. If I understand correctly that tour does not provide any food, just the city tour, canal tour and admission. Tivoli costs about $18 (95DKK) to enter, the canal tour from Gammel Strand about $11 (60 DKK) and the HO/HO bus is approx. $22 (120 DKK). You can pick to HO/HO bus right up at Langelini Pier. Thanks to Heinbloed and Danish Viking for all the help they provide!

You can decide how much of the city you want to see and when you want to do the canal tour/Tivoli possibly even doing some shopping on on Stroget with the money you saved. :)

I'm looking forward to your review.

Sheal (Lori)

Kugel
March 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Kugel,

Yes, you can certainly do the Tivoli Garden/Canal trip for so much less than $86. If I understand correctly that tour does not provide any food, just the city tour, canal tour and admission. Tivoli costs about $18 (95DKK) to enter, the canal tour from Gammel Strand about $11 (60 DKK) and the HO/HO bus is approx. $22 (120 DKK). You can pick to HO/HO bus right up at Langelini Pier. Thanks to Heinbloed and Danish Viking for all the help they provide!

You can decide how much of the city you want to see and when you want to do the canal tour/Tivoli possibly even doing some shopping on on Stroget with the money you saved. :)

I'm looking forward to your review.

Sheal (Lori)
Thanks so much Lori. Just what I needed to know.

Joyce

Sheal
March 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
The price for the combo, 2 day tour on the Viator website lists the HO/HO bus for $32, not $22-24 that I posted earlier. The cheaper rate only covers the Mermaid route, Tivoli is not on the Mermaid route. The combo ticket would be needed.

I didn't realize the bus company charged two different prices. I went by the pricing that the CC card had on it's website. Apparently it is a little outdated. This website below also offers the card but it appears to me that the Viator website still offers the better price.

http://www.sightseeing.dk/regado.jsp?type=page&id=187

Sorry for the confusion,

Sheal

Danish viking
March 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
@ LDIdeals

use guides.dk, they can help you with a guided tour.

JERMEY
March 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hello, Is it possible to do the Viking museum and Kronborg Casle in one day?
We are only in CPH for 2 nights pre cruise and would like to see these places, but don't want to over do.

If not, which place would you suggest we visit. We will be using the train to get around.

Thank you, Jermey

Danish viking
March 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
The viking ship museum opens at 10:00 so you can take a train from Central Station to roskilde around 08:00 and take the nice walk from the station through the town center of Roskilde.

The Regional trains to Roskilde goes at XX:07, XX:11, XX:24, XX:34 XX:54 and it takes between 21 and 28 minutes.

The Intercity Trains deparding at XX:00 and XX:30 will charge you extra for this trip and the Intercity Lyn at XX:50 will not even stop at Roskilde.

On the way back to the station you can walk again or take bus number 607 to the station.

On the way back you can take a train at XX:09 and XX:40, each time you will have to change trains at Østerport station.

The trip length varies between 1:15 and 1:24 including waiting time on Østerport.

There are also intercity trains between Roskilde and Copenhagen but there is a extra charge to use this trains.
There are also other Regional trains to and from Roskilde but they will have a longer waiting time at Østerport.

The train back from Helsingør goes at XX:04, XX:15, XX:24, XX:35, XX:44 and XX:55 and it takes between 46 and 48 minutes.

Manetamers
March 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
I see we have an expert on our thread.... great.... could you please tell me about the hotel.. First Hotel Kong Frederik... location to HoHo bus/canal/Ice Bar.....anything else I need to know... we will be in Copenhagen for 1 night and part of the the next day before cruise... thanks in advance....

Danish viking
March 23rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
@ Manetamers

As you can see on the map i posted you can see that the hotel is located very close to the town hall square where the ho/ho busses departs from.

The hotel will finish a major renovation in april so it will be fresh and new when you arrive.

Also the Icebar at Hotel Twentyseven is located very close to your hotel at Løngangstræde 27.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pqlgx

Manetamers
March 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
@ Manetamers

As you can see on the map i posted you can see that the hotel is located very close to the town hall square where the ho/ho busses departs from.

The hotel will finish a major renovation in april so it will be fresh and new when you arrive.

Also the Icebar at Hotel Twentyseven is located very close to your hotel at Løngangstræde 27.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pqlgx
Hello... thanks for the useful info on the hotel and all....it is good to know it's location and is beening renovated.. we are so looking forward to seeing your city but sorry to hear the Mermaid will be else where......... have a great day....

fabnfortysomething
March 25th, 2010, 06:36 AM
DFDS canal tours look interesting-is it worth doing a guided tour or the hop on hop off option.I can't find prices on their website and the timetable is a bit confusing about where they pick up near the cruise terminal

is it worth doing both HOHO buses and canal cruise or just one of the other?

Danish viking
March 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
@ fabnfortysomething

From the website

We have an extra stop at The little Mermaid app. 20 min. after departure from Nyhavn and Christianshavn Torv app. 35 min. after departure from Nyhavn.

http://www.canaltours.com/dct/en

@ Manetamers

Have a good day too.

offtraveling
March 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
We signed up for a 3 hour canoeing trip to Frederiksdal with DCL. We arrive back at the ship at Langelinie Pier at 12:45. We have to be back at the ship by 4:30pm.

Of the major sites/castles what could we squeeze into our 3 hours? Trivoli, Hard Rock Cafe, Castles, etc. Would the Copenhagen card by worth purchasing?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,
Heidi

Danish viking
March 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
A bus or taxi into Tivoli and Hard Rock and back again is what you have time for, and that is not worth the ticket price of the CPH Card.

Remember that 2 childrens under 12 travels for free with a adult and childrens under 16 is paying half price on the bus.
A singke ticket from langelinie to Tivoli cost 23 dkk.

Dayenu
March 25th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Danish Viking, FYI, the Little Mermaid will not be in Copenhagen from April to November - she will be in Shanghai on some international Expo.

There will be another statue to replace the Mermaid and "her sister" will be in Tivoli - whatever it means :rolleyes:

Now my question: are HOHO and Cirkel 2 different buses?

(not sure about HOHO, but Cirkel has a stop 1/2 block away from Kong Frederik)

Danish viking
March 26th, 2010, 06:26 AM
The Mermaid has been a hot political subject because China is not respecting human rights so some politicians were against sending one of our national symbols to China.

But to answer your question the city circle bus is just a regular bus, but it is smaller so it can get through the small streets of central Copenhagen.

It is free if you have a CPH Card and you can also use them with a single ticket, 10 trip stamping card or the city pass 24 and 72 hour card and the 24 hour transportation card.

The City Pass card only covers transportation in central copenhagen + the airport and the CPH Card and 24 hour transportation card covers the greater Copenhagen area.

The Ho/Ho bus departs at the nearby Town Hall Square and you have to buy a ticket either online or at the bus.
The CPH Card will give you a 10% discount

http://www.sightseeing.dk/

Lolotte
March 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have a question. Where do I find out at which pier our boat will dock?

Dayenu
March 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Danish, thank you!

Lolotte, it may be on the cruise's website (RCCL is at Langeline) or in the documents that will be mailed to you.

Danish viking
March 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
@ Lolotte

The cruise list is here.

177 is Nordre Toldbod
190 to 199 is Langeliniekaj
240 to 259 is Freeport Terminal

Lolotte
March 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you very much viking, you are very helpful !

Atlanta Cruisers Too!
March 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
We will be ending our cruise at the Freeport Pier in May, and will have 6 or 7 hours free between getting off the ship and having to start our travels to the airport. Do you have any suggestions on where we could store our baggage, while we spend the day viewing the sights?

alawman
March 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Enjoy!

We just noticed that May 13 is Ascension Day in Copenhagen--which is the day we port there. Will tourist attractions be open? What about Royal Copenhagen China factory? Frederiksborg Castle? We want to tour the castle in Frederiksborg. Can you tell us how to get there by train and how much the train and castle cost? Will they be open that day at what time?
thank you so much for your help.

Danish viking
March 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
@ Atlanta Cruisers Too!

There is a staffed luggage storage and luggage boxes at the Reventlowsgade entrance at the central station opposide the Tivoli entrance.

Small boxes cost 30 dkk and large boxes cost 40 dkk for 24 hours.

@ alawman

Royal Copenhagen is closed on that day but Frederiksborg castle is open from 10 to 17.

You have to take S-train line E to Hillerød and then take a nice walk through downtown Hillerød until you reach the Castle 15 minutes later.

I can tell you the departure times and price if you tell me how many people you are and if there are any kids under 12 and teenageers under 16.
I also need to know where the ship is docked because you will either have to take the S-train from Østerport or Nordhavn station.

floridafolks
March 28th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Where is the Royal Copenhagen Factory Outlet located? What bus would we take from near Tourist Information Center to get there and how long would it take? Thanks again for your help.

Danish viking
March 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
From the Tourist Information you simply just walk down the Strøget shopping street until you reach Royal Copenhagen on your left hand.

http://www.royalcopenhagen.com/Service/Stores-and-Shops/Flagship-Store.aspx

Here is the walking route, its just a little bit over 1 km to walk.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pr1hi

gkkapp
March 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Danish Viking-

Our ship, Star Princess, will be docked at Freeport rather then Langeliniekaj as we thought. Our original plan was to go to the ship, leave our luggage, have some lunch then disembark and walk to Kastellet for some sightseeing. Now that we are farther away what would be the easiest way to get to Kastellet and back? Is the S-train the "local" train? Looks like we could get on at Nordhaven and get off at Osterport. Would this be best or is there another way that would be better? How much is the ticket?

I seem to remember that you like trains. Here's a link to the website of a museum in my city. It has many beautiful photos of old steam trains online. The site tells the story of the photographer who took them.http://www.linkmuseum.org/

Enjoy!!

<<<Karen>>>

nctatty
March 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Danish Viking

We are arriving on June 30 late afternoon for the July 1, Baltic Cruise. We will be checking into the Adian around 2:00 p.m. Any suggestions as to what to see and do for this first night in? We are also returning to Copehnagen and the 11th staying until July 13. We have not picked a hotel for July 11 to the 13th. do you have nay ideas as to really good hotels? Also can you suggest what to do from July 11, around 11:00 a.m. and all day Monday July 12. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

amgrumpy
March 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Can you tell me where you found the information on the canoeing trip with DCL. I am interested in kayaking / canoeing.

wongri
March 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Morning,
We will be on Copenhagen Sept. 1st arriving on the Constellation Langeline Terminal.
Our group of 5 adults would like to take the canal cruise and do a bit of shopping.
Is it best to hop on the HoHo bus by the terminal to Nyhavn to catch the canal tour or do they let passengers on at the extra stop by the little Mermaid after departure from Nyhavn or should we try to get a taxi?

After the cruise what would be the best way to get to the shopping area?

Many thanks.

lecpmp
March 31st, 2010, 01:02 PM
how from is it from the port to the city center? Is it walkable? And would you recommend a tour? There is a short private canal boat tour that sounds very interesting.

Eye707
March 31st, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi,

Can you give me information on Push Bikes? I read in one of the hotel amenities columns that they rent them. Are there places to rent the bikes in Copenhagen?

Also: we are taking a cruise in July and need a hotel that's not too far away from everything, but that will get us back to the airport so we can transfer to the ship from there. Any suggestions on a good hotel? I was looking at the Crowne Plaza, but I don't know how far it is from Tivoli, etc., and we don't want to have to pay a lot in cab fare to get around.

Is there a Viking museum there? Is it interesting?

What about the canal rides?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, I appreciate your help!

irene

rjmaype
April 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Coming on the Eurodam July 9 and staying until July 10.

Would like anything from the states for you or the kids special delivery?

rubens
April 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Greetings from Belgium

We will stay in Copenhagen on 22 + 23 july before cruising Azamara Journey.

- As we drive from Belgium and will be staying at the Copenhagen Strand Hotel what would you recommend:
Parking the car for 2 days close to the hotel (Where ??) or going straight to the port and park there and going back to the hotel by taxi or bus ?

- other question: what is best: coming from Hamburg and take ferry to Rodby or the way round staying on the E5. I figured out that by ferry is about 130 km shorter but perhaps not quicker

Thanks for your advise

Shooraq
April 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
I am trying to look into affordable hotels for my stay in Copenhagen prior to my cruise. Some examples are the Hilton Airport Hotel and the Crown Plaza Hotel Copenhagen Towers. Are either of these good or are there any betetr suggestions? I don't need fancy, just convenient to the trains and afforable.

MGnut
April 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I am trying to look into affordable hotels for my stay in Copenhagen prior to my cruise. Some examples are the Hilton Airport Hotel and the Crown Plaza Hotel Copenhagen Towers. Are either of these good or are there any betetr suggestions? I don't need fancy, just convenient to the trains and afforable.

How convenient to the trains do you need? The Marriott is about 1/3 mile from the main railway station and Tivoli, and many folks (myself included) have reserved it through Priceline for $100 to $120 per night. Specify a 4-star hotel in Copenhagen (downtown, not airport) and you'll get the Marriott.

Giantfan13
April 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Morning,
We will be on Copenhagen Sept. 1st arriving on the Constellation Langeline Terminal.
Our group of 5 adults would like to take the canal cruise and do a bit of shopping.
Is it best to hop on the HoHo bus by the terminal to Nyhavn to catch the canal tour or do they let passengers on at the extra stop by the little Mermaid after departure from Nyhavn or should we try to get a taxi?

After the cruise what would be the best way to get to the shopping area?

Many thanks.

If I may throw out an answer here. It is NOT very far from your cruise ship dock to Nyhaven and the canal boat tour. You can have a wonderful stroll along the water,and you can stop to see the Marble Church and the Palace along the way. If I had to estimate, maybe a 20 minute walk. I really see no need for a taxi unless there is some one in your party that simply cannot walk.

Cheers

Len

Giantfan13
April 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
how from is it from the port to the city center? Is it walkable? And would you recommend a tour? There is a short private canal boat tour that sounds very interesting.

Depending on where your ship docks, it is walkable. there are several very good walking tours if you want to see the city by foot. If your ship docks at Langeline, you can walk along the harbor waters to Nyhaven, where you will get ther Canal boat tour. It is a very nice walk, and if you time it right, you can stop and watch the changing of the guard at the Palace, along the way. The canal boat tour is a NOT TO BE MISSED thing. From Nyhaven, you can walk to the Stroget (a sort of 5 block area of shops and stores, that has been made into a walking mall type area). At the end of that, you are very close to the main square in town, where you will find City Hall, Tivoli Gardens, and many other wonderful sights. It would not take more than an hour to walk, and that is at a very leisurely pace. Maybe a mile all toll.
Copenhagen is just a marvelous town to walk around in.

Cheers

Len

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
@ gkkapp

You can walk to Kastellet in around 20 minutes.

If you are in Copenhagen on monday to friday you can take bus number 26 but it does not go in the weekend.

The bus ticket cost 23 dkk for one adult including 2 children under 12.

The walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pmSOo

@ nctatty

I will get back to you with some suggestions.

@ wongri

You can get on at the little mermaid but then you will miss half of the tour.

You can get the Ho/Ho bus or bus number 26 to Nyhavn and take the whole trip from there.

Strøget Shopping street is located in connection to Nyhavn so you simply just walk from there.

@ lecpmp

What pier are you docking at, Nordre Toldbod, Langelinie or Freeport Terminal (Orientkaj and Sundkaj)

@ Eye707

I will also get back to you.

@ rjmaype

The topic starter is not active here anymore but i don´t know if you can give him/her a PM instead, but nice of you of thinking of him/her.

@ rubens

Hello fellow european :), i will also go in detail with your request sooner or later.

@ Shooraq

The SAS Radisson is located close to the central station and is in the same price range as Hilton and Crowne Plaza.

If you want it cheap you can also look at Cab-Inn City located close to the central station and Can-Inn Metro located at Ørestad together with the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

GoVolsTB
April 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Danish Viking.......

Is there anything we can BRING YOU from the US ? We will be in Copenhagen from May 12th to the 15th and would love to have the opportunity to meet you.

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
@ nctattye

The first day and night you can start with relaxing a bit on the hotel or taking a nice stroll on the Strøget shopping street. Later you could go to Tivoli and walk around in the park.

At Tivoli i will suggest that you eat at Café Ultima that is a nice italian styled restaurant.

The next day is a little bit short but you can get into Rosenborg castle and see the crown jewels and the inside of the castle.

The post cruise hotel could easily be The Square or SAS Radisson because they are centrally located.

On the 11th you can cath the last day of the Jazz Festival, most concerts are free.

http://www.jazz.dk/dk/copenhagen-jazz-festival

You can also go to the Zoo and the the new Elephant house by Sir Norman Foster.

On the 12th you can visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles.

First you take the S-train Line E to Hillerød where you can walk to Frederiksborg castle.

From Hillerød you simply just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør/Elsinore and Kronborg Castle.

On the way home you just take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen.

If this castle tour sounds interesting i can make a more detailed route plan.

Other places of interest in Copenhagen are...

Thorvaldsens Museum
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
The National museum (free entrance)
The national museum for modern arts
Amalienborg (plus chanding of the guards at noon)
Louisiana art museum
Christiansborg
The Round Tower
The open air museum (free entrance)
The resistance museum (free entrance)

That is all that i can think about right now.

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
@ Eye707

Crowne plaze is located in the Ørestad business district but the train and metro will get you to downtown Copenhagen in no time.

The Viking ship museum in Roskilde has reconstructed viking ships that you can get a small sail trip on in Roskilde Fjord.

The national museum has a great exhibition about the danish viking history.

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.php?id=1386&L=1

http://www.nationalmuseet.dk/sw20374.asp

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
@ Rubens

Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken. :)

The hotel does not offer parking and the price for parking in the street around the hotel is as followed.

Monday to saturday 08:00 to 18:00 17 dkk per hour
18:00 to 23:00 is 10 dkk per hour
23:00 to 08:00 is 3 dkk per hour

From saturday at 17:00 to 08:00 monday morning is free.

I would drive to the hotel and drop of the luggage and then heading to the port´s parking facility.

The bus back from the pier to the hotel is bus number 26.

You need the stops Skudehavnsvej and Kongens Nytorv, but please notice that the times marked with blue does not depart during the summer.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002600000&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000&next_stop=

I would take the ferry instead of the tour around Jutland and funen because you need a break at some point and the price for the ferry crossing is almost the same as the bridge toll over the Storebælt fixed link.

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 09:19 AM
@ TB

It could be nice to meet all of you that i am writing with, but last year i forgot a arrangement with the other helpful user heinbloed because my computer broke down and i forgot to put it in my cell phone calender so i missed the date. :(

So i could make up for this by meeting you :) But you don´t need to bring anything with you.

But lets talk about this when we get closer to may because then i know my working schedule.

rubens
April 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
@ Rubens

Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken. :)

The hotel does not offer parking and the price for parking in the street around the hotel is as followed.

Monday to saturday 08:00 to 18:00 17 dkk per hour
18:00 to 23:00 is 10 dkk per hour
23:00 to 08:00 is 3 dkk per hour

From saturday at 17:00 to 08:00 monday morning is free.

I would drive to the hotel and drop of the luggage and then heading to the port´s parking facility.

The bus back from the pier to the hotel is bus number 26.

You need the stops Skudehavnsvej and Kongens Nytorv, but please notice that the times marked with blue does not depart during the summer.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002600000&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000&next_stop=

I would take the ferry instead of the tour around Jutland and funen because you need a break at some point and the price for the ferry crossing is almost the same as the bridge toll over the Storebælt fixed link.

Many thanks for your heplful answers
Both "Salutations du Danemark or is it Groeten uit denemarken" are just fine - I'm a real Belgian: bilingual

a last question: do we need to book the ferry (especially because it's high season) but it's always difficult to put an exact arrival time at the port - wha do you think?
thanks again

The Viking
April 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=Danish viking;23842059]@ nctattye

At Tivoli i will suggest that you eat at Café Ultima that is a nice italian styled restaurant.

QUOTE]

Which restaurant in Tivoli has, in your opinion, the best Smørrebrød?

Danish viking
April 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
@ Rubens

Last time we waited like 1 hour before we got on the ferry so i would make a reservation, they do sail every 30th minute.

@ The Viking

I don´t recall to have seen any Smørrebrøds restaurants in Tivoli but their website has a list with all the restaurants.

gkkapp
April 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks Danish Viking. Just what I needed to know. Maybe we'll walk down and ride back.;)

<<<Karen>>>

Danish viking
April 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
That is off course also a possibility :)

backtocruisin
April 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
[quote=CruisinEurope;18086846]

But watch out for luggage!

SAS only allows one checked bag of 20kg/44lbs, and charges €11/kg for excess between non-Scandinavian countries in Europe. Which means, if you were to have a second bag weighing another 20kg, your ticket is now going to cost you ~$620 r/t! :eek:

See, this is what I was talking about, and I specifically had SAS in mind when I mentioned it.

Of course, if you can travel with just one 44lb bag for a 11 or 12 cruise plus, potentially, a couple of days either side...... ;)

Mike,
I was doing some research on Phil and my upcoming Baltic Cruise and found your CC comments. It was good to see your name again. I hope all is well with you.
We are arriving in Copenhagen, via SAS, and cruising from the Freeport terminal. If you can share any info with me regarding:
1. SAS - what happens if you check in 48 pounds of luggage on united in buffalo...will they charge you for the extra weight when we United transfers the luggage. I guess if they don;t they will get us on the return.

2. can we get to the freeport terminal from city center on a saturday via public transportation.

thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Eileen

BCHappyGal
April 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM
We are arriving aboard the crusie ship Star Princess on May 22/10 and need to get from the ship to our hotel the Crowne Plaza...I am told that taxi's are scarce and I should make prior arrangements for transportation...
I have been unable to find an affordable company ... Can you suggest a good way for 3 adults + luggage & wheelchair to get from the ship to the hotel???

Once checked into the hotel I hope that we can ride the metro back to downtown for sightseeing.

Any hints would be great...Plan to do Trivilo that evening and eat in the park... What restaurants would you suggest besides Italian.

Thanks for your help.

The Viking
April 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
[quote=bigwally;18089859]

Mike,
I was doing some research on Phil and my upcoming Baltic Cruise and found your CC comments. It was good to see your name again. I hope all is well with you.
We are arriving in Copenhagen, via SAS, and cruising from the Freeport terminal. If you can share any info with me regarding:
1. SAS - what happens if you check in 48 pounds of luggage on united in buffalo...will they charge you for the extra weight when we United transfers the luggage. I guess if they don;t they will get us on the return.

2. can we get to the freeport terminal from city center on a saturday via public transportation.

thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Eileen

I have never had any issues checking in in the US with 50 lbs. nor checking in with SAS in Europe where they accept the US limits of 50 lbs. They also allow the more liberal US restrictions as to carry on luggage when if you fly for example CPH, FRA,ORD.

Just my own experience from multiple trips

wongri
April 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the information.
We will make our way to the start of the tour then.
Cheers,
Rita

houston_raider
April 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks to all for the wonderful help in this thread. We will be visiting Copenhagen on Tuesday August 17th. Our ship is supposed to dock at Freeport.

Our plan is to either take the ship shuttle (if one exists) to town or to take bus 26 if there is no shuttle.

Our first area is Rosenborg Castle and then the National Art Musuem (all in the same area). If we take the bus there, what is the name of the stop? I can't figure out the stops on the website. Secondly, how much time should be alloted to those? My wife is an art history major in college, so we spend a fair amount of time in museums. Just not sure how extensive the collection is in the museum.

After that, we are going to eat lunch at Riz-Raz (we are the token Vegan's on every cruise). Is that accessible by bus from the Rosenborg area or is it in walking distance or better yet, by bike? We are both avid walkers.

Lastly, we will go to Tivoli. I believe that is in walking distance from either Riz-Raz location, correct?

From Tivoli/Stroget, does the bus back to Freeport leave directly or does it take a long loop? How long should we leave to get back to the ship in plenty of time (departs at 8 pm)?

thanks again for all the help.

sgu
April 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM
We are going on a 12 day baltic cruise with our 3 boys...14,11,8. Originally we chose a city hilights and open air history tour, but now I'm rethinking that idea and wondering if we should go to Tivoli Gardens instead. Our disney cruise has a special early admission so we can spend up to 8 hours there.

Is it worth it? Is it enough time? Should we do the Open air museum instead?

I hate the idea of being in Copenhagen only one day and only seeing one amusement park, but I also think that it might be fun to have a day of fun and not history with the boys to break up all our other museum filled excursions.

Any suggestions?

Giantfan13
April 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
We are going on a 12 day baltic cruise with our 3 boys...14,11,8. Originally we chose a city hilights and open air history tour, but now I'm rethinking that idea and wondering if we should go to Tivoli Gardens instead. Our disney cruise has a special early admission so we can spend up to 8 hours there.

Is it worth it? Is it enough time? Should we do the Open air museum instead?

I hate the idea of being in Copenhagen only one day and only seeing one amusement park, but I also think that it might be fun to have a day of fun and not history with the boys to break up all our other museum filled excursions.

Any suggestions?

The boys will surely love Tivoli Gardens and so will you.

Try and split your time to say, 1/2 a day in Tivoli and the other half touring around.

nctatty
April 6th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Danish Viking,

I was able to secure the Marriott for $120 a night plus tax through priceline. Not bad considering they wanted $309 per night on their web site. I personally like the idea of the Jazz festival but my wife is not into that. I think When we check in on the 30th, we will probably do as you suggest, go to Strøget shopping street and then to Tivoli and walk around in the park. How late are the stores open and should we get somesort of prepaid ticket for Trivoi? Thanks for your assistance.

Neal
nctattytravler

Danish viking
April 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
@ nctatty

The shops do have open until 18 or 19 on weekdays but the cafés bars and restaurants along strøget is offcouse open all the evening.

Normally there are no big lines to enter tivoli (only before fridays rock) so you won´t need a prepaid ticket.

@ houston_raider

I would take bus number 26 directly to Statens Museum For Kunst the stop is called Øster Voldgade/Sølvgade.

Rosenborg Castle must be possible to see from the museum.

There is almost 900 meters to Restaurant Riz Raz from rosenborg, the walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pTbA0

As you can also see on the map there is not long to Tivoli.

On the way home bus number 26 will swing through downtown copenhagen but you can cath it at Østerport with a train from the central station.

But the last bus back to the port departs at 18:06, 18:25 and 18:45 from Østerport.

You can also take the S-train one stop further to Nordhavn and walk from there, it will take around 10 minutes.

houston_raider
April 6th, 2010, 09:52 AM
@ nctatty

The shops do have open until 18 or 19 on weekdays but the cafés bars and restaurants along strøget is offcouse open all the evening.

Normally there are no big lines to enter tivoli (only before fridays rock) so you won´t need a prepaid ticket.

@ houston_raider

I would take bus number 26 directly to Statens Museum For Kunst the stop is called Øster Voldgade/Sølvgade.

Rosenborg Castle must be possible to see from the museum.

There is almost 900 meters to Restaurant Riz Raz from rosenborg, the walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pTbA0

As you can also see on the map there is not long to Tivoli.

On the way home bus number 26 will swing through downtown copenhagen but you can cath it at Østerport with a train from the central station.

But the last bus back to the port departs at 18:06, 18:25 and 18:45 from Østerport.

You can also take the S-train one stop further to Nordhavn and walk from there, it will take around 10 minutes.

Thanks Danish_viking. A couple of follow up questions: how much time should we allow for the museum? How big is it?

Same question for Rosenborg?

Lastly, I went to the Krak.dk website and it actually shows 2.6 KM by road. Is it possible to get bikes near the museum and ride them to Riz-Raz/Tivoli? How lost would we get or are there signs all over town pointing to major sites, like Tivoli?

Thanks!

Danish viking
April 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would allow at least 1 hour but maybe 1,5 hour at each site.

I don´t know why it gets the 2,6 kms from but there are many pedestrian streets and one way streets in central Copenhagen so that is maybe the answer.

The walking route i made for you will take you through Kongens Have (The Kings Garden) and some pedestrian streets so its shorter than by car.

There is no signs saying tivoli but if you follow Strøget shopping/pedestrian street you will get to the town hall square and Tivoli.

I don´t know about the citybikes but try to ask them on this website.

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

houston_raider
April 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I would allow at least 1 hour but maybe 1,5 hour at each site.

I don´t know why it gets the 2,6 kms from but there are many pedestrian streets and one way streets in central Copenhagen so that is maybe the answer.

The walking route i made for you will take you through Kongens Have (The Kings Garden) and some pedestrian streets so its shorter than by car.

There is no signs saying tivoli but if you follow Strøget shopping/pedestrian street you will get to the town hall square and Tivoli.

I don´t know about the citybikes but try to ask them on this website.

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

Thanks!

Mama Pat
April 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Airport to Marriot on Kalvebod brygge what is the best way to get there Also from the hotel to the ship

Scoobydoo76
April 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
@ nctattye

..........On the 12th you can visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles.

First you take the S-train Line E to Hillerød where you can walk to Frederiksborg castle.

From Hillerød you simply just take Lokalbanen to Helsingør/Elsinore and Kronborg Castle.

On the way home you just take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen.

If this castle tour sounds interesting i can make a more detailed route plan.

Other places of interest in Copenhagen are...

Thorvaldsens Museum
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
The National museum (free entrance)
The national museum for modern arts
Amalienborg (plus chanding of the guards at noon)
Louisiana art museum
Christiansborg
The Round Tower
The open air museum (free entrance)
The resistance museum (free entrance)

That is all that i can think about right now.

Hi,
I was wondering if you can provide me with a little more information on Kronborg Castles. Specifically, what train do I take from Copenhagen? We are going to be docked at Langelinie. I would like to take a train in the morning around 9:30 - 10:00. Do you have any idea how much the fare may cost?
TY

backtocruisin
April 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hi,
i have a quick question on the copenhagen card. we plan on purchasing a 72 hour pass. can we go to tivoli twice on one pass or is it one site per card.
thanks
eileen

TheGenie
April 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if you can provide me with a little more information on Kronborg Castles. Specifically, what train do I take from Copenhagen? We are going to be docked at Langelinie. I would like to take a train in the morning around 9:30 - 10:00. TY

Danish Viking has posted the information, which I cut and paste into our planning notes shown below - so we're planning to do both Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle on the same excursion, since they are relatively close to one another. I hope you can extract just doing one, or the other alone from these notes. We're planning to buy the 24 hour CPH card as we want most transportation and admission prices covered as well.

From Langeline, you should be able to catch the train near the Langeline port at the Osterport train station, which I belive is serviced by the #26 bus from the Langeline port. If not, a short cab ride would get you to the train station.

Here is my notes compiled from Danish Viking's numerous responses my questions (Thanks again Danish Viking! )

Copenhagen to Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød. Take the S-train line E to Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle). There is just less than 1 mile (1.4 km) walk from the Hillerød train station to the castle, and a nice walk through Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle. That will get you to the castle in 30-40 minutes. Or, you can take bus number 701, 702, 703, or 325 from the train station but that is only 3 minutes shorter time than walking.

Frederiksborg Castle opens at 10:00 (closes at 5:00 PM) and you should allow yourself at least 1 or 1.5 hours inside, but also at the gardens outside.

Helsingør train station has two adjacent terminals: the DSB terminal for national trains and the smaller Helsingør–Hornbæk–Gilleleje Banen (HHGB) terminal for the private railway that runs along the north coast of Denmark. DSB trains from Hillerød to Copenhagen run about three times hourly from early morning to around midnight.

On the way back you can catch the bus from just outside the castle (or walk). The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate - it drives towards Egedammen, but it is in the direction of the train station. The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to the S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen at 12:20

Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg)

The “Lille Nord” Lokalbanen (without traveling back to Copenhagen Central Station) will get you from Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg). The “Lille Nord” goes every hour at XX:00 Between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30 it also departs at XX:30. The travel time is 28 minutes.

2) Kronborg Castle (also called Elsinor Castle) at Helsingør. http://www.kronborg.dk "Hamlet's Castle". There is also a great maritime museum inside the castle that is well worth visiting. The Helsingør Station it is a 10 minute walk from the castle.

The CPH Card would give you transportation but not entrance to Kronborg Castle, but here is a price list for what's included in the tickets purchased at the castle.

Ticket Prices Admission Adults Children 15 - 18 years

Ticket#1 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel - Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer)
90 DKK / 65 DKK

Ticket#2 Royal Apartments - Ballroom - Casemates - Castle Chapel
65 DKK / 65 DKK

Ticket#3 Casemates - Castle Chapel
30 DKK / 30 DKK

Ticket#4 Danish Maritime Museum - The Telegraph Tower (only during the summer)
50 DKK / Free

To Copenhagen from Helsingør (Kronborg Castle )
DSB Öresund coastal trains between Helsingør and Copenhagen. Take the DSB First Øresundstog directly back to Copenhagen. The Öresund Regional train heading from Helsingør to Copenhagen Central Station (Hovedbanegården) - leaves every 20 minutes. From The train back from Helsingør goes at XX:04, XX:15, XX:24, XX:35, XX:44 and XX:55 and it takes between 46 and 48 minutes. Of course you would get off at your train station of embarkation, the Osterport train station.

chrismo1
April 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM
@backtocruisin
You can go to Tivoli as much as you like, but the card only covers the admission fee to Tivoli. Rides are extra. You can pay per ride with prepaid coupons (bought inside Tivoli) or pay for a ride pass (also bought inside Tivoli). The reason for this system with separate admission and ride fees is that really many people use Tivoli as a park or go there to have dinner or lunch and don't do rides. It wouldn't be fair if these people should pay a price that allows for unlimited rides.

Danish viking
April 9th, 2010, 05:55 AM
@ Mama Pat

I would either take a taxi all the way or take the Metro to Kongens Nytorv and take a taxi from there or take the train to the central station and walk up to the hotel.

You can see the location of the hotel here on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pdhsC

@ Scoobydoo76

On the pdf file called Kystbanen (the coastal line) you will find the timetable of the train

http://www.dsbfirst.dk/Koreplaner/

And as the Genie posted you can either walk to Østerport station or take bus number 26 and get of at Østerport.

The bus goes every 20th minute right next to the ship, your stop is called Langeliniekaj (Østmolen)

The prices is on this link, you need a alle Zoner ticket or just the 24 hour ticket.

The 24 hour ticket is the cheapest but you can not buy them in the bus, only at the train station so you have to walk to the station but its a easy walk.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Priser/hovedstadsomraadet/prisoversigt/Pages/prisoversigt.aspx

backtocruisin
April 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
@backtocruisin
You can go to Tivoli as much as you like, but the card only covers the admission fee to Tivoli. Rides are extra. You can pay per ride with prepaid coupons (bought inside Tivoli) or pay for a ride pass (also bought inside Tivoli). The reason for this system with separate admission and ride fees is that really many people use Tivoli as a park or go there to have dinner or lunch and don't do rides. It wouldn't be fair if these people should pay a price that allows for unlimited rides.

thanks for the info....it is much appreciated!

orchidmom
April 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks to everyone who help us on our travel to Copenhagen. I have a question about the international airport. Do you know if one can access the restaurants and other facilities in the airport without having to go through security clearance? We thought we might check into the Airport Hilton and go back to the airport, perhaps having something to eat later in the day if we are too tired to go into town and don't like what is available to eat at the Hilton. In some US airports, one has to go through security with a boarding pass in order to get to the eateries. (We won't have a ticket after we arrive since our departure won't be for ten days - after our cruise.)

casinovisitor
April 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Being unfamiliar with currency and transportation I am a little concerned about our 2 night stay prior to our May 12th cruise. Can you provide any information on our best option for mode of transport from airport to Hotel
Twentyseven and from there to ship port 2 days later. Is it difficult to get a taxi and what is the going rate. Do I need Danish Krone for transport>

chrismo1
April 12th, 2010, 04:57 AM
@orchidmom
Unfortunately, most of the airport's restaurants are after security, where only ticketed passengers are allowed. There is a limited choice before security, mostly fast food. The airport's website has an overview of all reataurants, including which are before and which are after security: http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Shopping+and+Eating/Where+to+Eat+and+Drink/

Mike M
April 12th, 2010, 11:26 AM
OrchidMom,
We have stayed at the Copenhagen Airport Hilton four times before or after cruises. The hotel has a very good restaurant on the lobby level floor. Breakfast and Dinner are very good with many choices. They are both, like most things in Denmark, more expensive than the equivalent in the United States We haven't eaten lunch there. We usually take or buy breakfast bars or such for a little lunch, if that is all we want. You might want to check the hotel restaurant hours for the day you arrive.
The train and the Metro are both right across the overhead walkway and the hotel sells tickets if you want to charge the tickets or don't want to use the ticket vending machines in the station. It's a quick ride to downtown Copenhagen. It's a great hotel (and I don't work for Hilton)!

orchidmom
April 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you, chrismo 1, and Mike M for your prompt reply and valuable info!

Mike M, I have additional questions about the Hilton if you have the time to reply. We will be arriving at 7 am. too early for check-in. Do you know if the hotel will store our luggage so that we can go into the town?

Since you have stayed there four times for cruises, how did you get to the port? The Star Princess will be at the Freeport. Is there a hotel shuttle or did you use a taxi?

Since you have eaten at the restaurants in the Airport Hilton, did you book a room with the bed and breakfast/and or dinner package? Do you recommend doing that?

My concern about finding a place to eat, other than at the Hilton, is because I am a vegetarian and I thought if the restaurants at the hotel didn't have any veggie options, I could stroll over to the airport. As chrismo1 pointed out, however, there will be mostly fast food choices there. Do you recall if the Hilton had veggie items on the menus?

Thank you in advance for being so helpful!!

Mike M
April 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM
OrchidMom,
Re: "We will be arriving at 7 am. too early for check-in. Do you know if the hotel will store our luggage so that we can go into the town? "
We were last there in August 2009. They did have a room to store luggage behind the concierge desk where you can also get a free map and charge train/metro tickets to your room account. The concierge is knowledgeable and helpful.

"Since you have stayed there four times for cruises, how did you get to the port? The Star Princess will be at the Freeport. Is there a hotel shuttle or did you use a taxi?"
In August 2009, our ship embarkation was also at Freeport. We were three adults with three weeks worth of luggage so we took a taxi. The total cost, including tip, was $63.92 USD. I don't know what that was in Danish Kroner (DKK) since I didn't record the DKK-USD exchange rates. It's a nice ride along the edge of town. Use the email address below to ask if the hotel has a shuttle.

"Since you have eaten at the restaurants in the Airport Hilton, did you book a room with the bed and breakfast/and or dinner package? Do you recommend doing that?"
We had two rooms with breakfast included which I bought online at their site. Because I picked the non-changeable, non-refundable rates, it was much cheaper than a refundable rate. I recommend including breakfast because we like breakfast. Many people skip it since they are about to board the ship with its infinite food. The breakfast has both ala carte and a big buffet. We have never bought the dinner package because we wanted the option to eat downtown. The total for dinner for three at the Hilton hotel in August 2009 was $159 USD. This is comparable to the total for dinner for three at MamaRosa's Restaurant on the Stroget pedestrian street in May 2008 for $133 USD. Again, I have not looked up the exchange rates.

"My concern about finding a place to eat, other than at the Hilton, is because I am a vegetarian Do you recall if the Hilton had veggie items on the menus?"
My wife says she remembers some vegetarian choices, though none of us ordered them. I got answers to questions before we went by using this email address:

res.copenhagen-airport@hilton.com

backtocruisin
April 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Being unfamiliar with currency and transportation I am a little concerned about our 2 night stay prior to our May 12th cruise. Can you provide any information on our best option for mode of transport from airport to Hotel
Twentyseven and from there to ship port 2 days later. Is it difficult to get a taxi and what is the going rate. Do I need Danish Krone for transport>

I found this website that has been very helpful
http://www.rejseplanen.dk (http://www.rejseplanen.dk) You may need to input "Orientkaj" as the final destination opposed to Faerghavn Nord for the cruise terminal This site can get you from the airport to the hotel and any other trips you may want to take.

Just plug in where you want to travel from and to and it will give you specific directions along with a map. Make sure you click on the English version. I'm traveling on the Star Princess on Saturday May 22 and public transportation doesn't take you to the pier on Saturdays. It takes you close but a 10 minute walk in involved. You may want to keep this in mind if you want to use public transportation on Saturday when you disembark.

We are also staying at the Clarion Twenty-seven. We chose it due to the complimentary breakfast and buffet dinner. It will definetly save us worry about where to eat and how much it will cost us.

Eileen

orchidmom
April 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Mike, thank you for responding so promptly. You have resolved many worrisome issues for us! We will be booking the Airport Hilton with breakfast, advance payment. As a result of your help and others on the board, we will be making our first big trip to Europe with a lot more confidence. We are two seniors making this trip and don't know anyone else going except for the friendly people on the Roll Call.

I am looking forward to our visit to Copenhagen, although quite disappointed that we will not be able to tour the Royal Palace b/c of a Royal Wedding this June. I do wish the Family the best of time, however, at this great celebration.

chrismo1
April 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
@orchidmom
If you want to try something different for dinner, you can also walk out of the Hilton Hotel into the residential neighborhood of Kastrup itself. It is a nice, quiet neighborhood, and you will find some restaurants there, and that might be alot more pleasant than dining at the airport. Everything is walkable (well normally, everything is walkable in cities in Denmark, and you can easily walk to and from the airport, just use the pedestrian bridge over the motorwat and railway) There are a few restaurants in the neighborhood, but unfortunately not much vegetarian. There is a very good fish restaurant with sea view, if you by chance eat fish.

Danish viking
April 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Thank you all for doing my work :)

GoVolsTB
April 13th, 2010, 07:58 AM
@ TB

It could be nice to meet all of you that i am writing with, but last year i forgot a arrangement with the other helpful user heinbloed because my computer broke down and i forgot to put it in my cell phone calender so i missed the date. :(

So i could make up for this by meeting you :) But you don´t need to bring anything with you.

But lets talk about this when we get closer to may because then i know my working schedule.

Danish Viking...

We leave next week for our cruise to Copenhagen. We will arrive in Copenhagen on May 12th and we are staying at the Marriott. We leave early in the morning on May 15th.

Hopefully we can set up some time to meet. Please email me directly at govolstb at yahoo dot com.

Surely...there should be something we could bring you.....

Danish viking
April 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
You just got mail. :D

rjmaype
April 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
For Chrismo1

Can you give me more information on the restaurent you mentioned?

Thanks

TheGenie
April 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Interested in dining in Kastrup too (also staying at the Airport Hilton post cruise). It looks like Katrup station is just one Metro stop toward town from the Aiport (Lufthaven station). Google Maps shows lots of restaurants nearby.

orchidmom
April 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I must be going bonkers from studying about the places to see and what to do in each city. My mind was totally confused about where the Royal Wedding was to take place in June. Of course, as everyone else on the board knows, it is in Sweden, not Denmark. But thank you all, for being so polite and not calling me a dummy. I'll go sit in a corner now.

casinovisitor
April 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I found this website that has been very helpful
http://www.rejseplanen.dk (http://www.rejseplanen.dk) You may need to input "Orientkaj" as the final destination opposed to Faerghavn Nord for the cruise terminal This site can get you from the airport to the hotel and any other trips you may want to take.

Just plug in where you want to travel from and to and it will give you specific directions along with a map. Make sure you click on the English version. I'm traveling on the Star Princess on Saturday May 22 and public transportation doesn't take you to the pier on Saturdays. It takes you close but a 10 minute walk in involved. You may want to keep this in mind if you want to use public transportation on Saturday when you disembark.

We are also staying at the Clarion Twenty-seven. We chose it due to the complimentary breakfast and buffet dinner. It will definetly save us worry about where to eat and how much it will cost us.

Eileen

Thank you Eileen,
Do you know if Hotel Twentyseven has any shuttle service?

chrismo1
April 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM
The fish restaurant, I mentioned in the previous post is this one: http://www.kastrupstrandpark.dk/. It's correct that you will see alot of restaurants in Kastrup on Google Earth, but some of these are actually take away or pizza places. Another real restaurant or inn is this one:http://www.allekroen.dk/ serving traditional old fashioned Danish fare (Probably very local, but that could be interesting as well). Be aware that Kastrup is nothing special in itself, only the proximity to the airport makes it an interesting place to go especially if you stay at the Hilton, since you can walk to Kastrup. Otherwise, it's just an ordinary suburb with your usual subdivisions. Kastrup has no old town or other interesting places except maybe the the beachfront and the small marina, where the fish restaurant is located. If you want to go to a really nice place near the airport, consider Dragør, a very old, quaint fisherman's village with many good restaurants, but it's south of the airport and you need to take a bus (Bus no. 35) to get there.

Milwaukeeee
April 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thank you Eileen,

I'd be interested to know this also. We are staying there in July and thought we would just have to hire a taxi. I'm sure "shuttle service" could be provided, at a cost, maybe less than an individual couple by taxi?????

Stumpie
April 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hello Everyone.
We have booked a transatlantic/Baltic cruise via Princess Emerald which disembarks in Copenhagen on May 24, 2011.
Since my wife does not care to fly, we are exploring the ways to get from Copenhagen to the UK. Our plan is to return to the US via a Cunard transatlantic cruise from England. Since it is so far in the future, Cunard has not yet posted cruise dates for Late May/June, 2011. So our plans are still in development and have some flexibility.
Does anyone have experience with ferry and/or train transport between Copenhagen and England? We have studied the dsb.dk website and have great interest in several of the options.
We would love to hear from fellow travelers who have some experience with this.
Thank you

sddsddean
April 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hello Everyone.
We have booked a transatlantic/Baltic cruise via Princess Emerald which disembarks in Copenhagen on May 24, 2011.
Since my wife does not care to fly, we are exploring the ways to get from Copenhagen to the UK. Our plan is to return to the US via a Cunard transatlantic cruise from England. Since it is so far in the future, Cunard has not yet posted cruise dates for Late May/June, 2011. So our plans are still in development and have some flexibility.
Does anyone have experience with ferry and/or train transport between Copenhagen and England? We have studied the dsb.dk website and have great interest in several of the options.
We would love to hear from fellow travelers who have some experience with this.
Thank you

This is not easy!! The obvious choice is flying, but thats out. As far as I know the only ferry is DFDS Esbjerg to Harwich http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/routes_and_timetables/esbjerg-harwich

This runs every other day leaving around 6.45 pm and arriving noon the next day from £43 (about $60)/person.
Trains run from Copenhagen to Esbjerg (some direct, some one change). Use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:& to look at train times..sorry, can't help with price.
The ferry docks at Harwich (same place as the cruise ships). Harwich International station is right beside the ship and its about £15 to Liverpool St in London. Taxi across to Waterloo station (about £12) and get the train direct to Southampton (about £30, but can get it for £1 at www.megatrain.co.uk (http://www.megatrain.co.uk) about 4 weeks before travel). Taxi to any cruise terminal in Southampton will be about £7.
Obviously the ferry is an overnight crossing and it is going to take at least 5 hrs to do Harwich - Southampton, so you won't be able to get a ship to the US before 26th May 2011, assuming the ferry runs on the day you disembark.
It is possible to do the whole thing by train (Copenhagen-Hamburg-Koln-Brussels-Eurostar to London - Southampton), but this would mean at least 5 trains and again would take a couple of days, so you would need a night out in, say, Brussels and still wouldn't be able to get a ship until the 26th. In both cases you would probably have to stop in London or Southampton for a night.

Good luck with the planning!

Simon

Stumpie
April 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Thank you, Simon, for your response.
Has any member used any of these options? Advice....problems. Any input you can give would be very welcome. We are concerned about getting into something way over our heads.

chrismo1
April 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The Esbjerg-Harwich line is certainly an option. This was the way we Danes used to get to London before flying became cheap and popular. Actually there used to be a special express train from Copenhagen to Esbjerg to match the ferry departures. This train was shunted all the way to the ferry docks in Esbjerg using the harbour tracks so you could walk straight into the ferry terminal. This service no longer exists, you now take a regular train to Esbjerg, and you have to take a taxi from the railway station to the ferry. It's not very far, about 1 mile. In Harwich, the train is right at the ferry dock. There are direct trains from Copenhagen to Esbjerg every 2 hours. Regular fare for the train is DKK 364 per person one way. Non-refundable discount tickets are available on some departures at Danish State Railway homepage, www.dsb.dk on a first come, first served basis (click DSB Orange to get to these bookings). Booking is possible from 2 months in advance. The ferry is also cheapest if you book as far as possible in advance.

Stumpie
April 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Thank you so much, chrismo1. I'm trying to gather as many tidbits of info as possible, and your advice was very helpful. Do you have any opinions about the City Night Line train to Cologne/Thalys to Brussels/Eurostar to London option? Are the train changes cumbersome/confusing to American tourists? We are pretty self sufficient, but this is really unknown territory for us. Any recommendations as to who me might contact to get details about the specific logistics of doing this? Thanks again Anne

eetonaee
April 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hello Cruisin,

Due to a change in our air schedule we now arrive in Copenhagen on a late night Thursday flight from Paris. it will probably be midnight before we have our bags and are ready to head for our room at the Marriott.

At this hour should we just take a taxi or is it still possible to save some money with a train or other means of transportion?

backtocruisin
April 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Thank you Eileen,

I don't believe hotel twenty-seven has shuttle service. i think public transportation will be fine as long as you can walk from the station to the hotel. we are arriving at 7:15 am, middle of rush hour. we think our best bet will be public trans and not a taxi.
eileen

chrismo1
April 15th, 2010, 03:43 AM
@Stumpie
Hi Anne.
I have never tried the night train connection via Cologne and Brussels myself, (CNL from Copenhagen departure 18.42, train change in Cologne and in Brussels) but I have of course taken many trains in Europe, and I don't see any special difficulties in that route. I have been on the Esbjerg-Harwich ferry many years ago. My only comment to which route to choose is that I would rather sleep in a cabin on a ferry that in a night train. I don't sleep well on trains. But that is of course my personal preferences. It is also possible to do the train all the way as an all-day connection. Departure Copenhagen at 7.45. Train change in Hamburg, Cologne and Brussels and arrival in London at 21.33. This might be a bit cumbersome, many connections and a very long train day. Remember that you have to take care of your own luggage yourself at every train change, hauling it up and down stairs.

Danish viking
April 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
@ eetonaee

The trains are still departing at midnight but i would take a taxi from the central station to mariott instead of walking.

eetonaee
April 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
@ eetonaee

The trains are still departing at midnight but i would take a taxi from the central station to mariott instead of walking.

Thank you.

Do you suggest taking a taxi from the central station because of the distance or safety?

sddsddean
April 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thank you so much, chrismo1. I'm trying to gather as many tidbits of info as possible, and your advice was very helpful. Do you have any opinions about the City Night Line train to Cologne/Thalys to Brussels/Eurostar to London option? Are the train changes cumbersome/confusing to American tourists? We are pretty self sufficient, but this is really unknown territory for us. Any recommendations as to who me might contact to get details about the specific logistics of doing this? Thanks again Anne

@Stumpie
Hi Anne.
I have never tried the night train connection via Cologne and Brussels myself, (CNL from Copenhagen departure 18.42, train change in Cologne and in Brussels) but I have of course taken many trains in Europe, and I don't see any special difficulties in that route. I have been on the Esbjerg-Harwich ferry many years ago. My only comment to which route to choose is that I would rather sleep in a cabin on a ferry that in a night train. I don't sleep well on trains. But that is of course my personal preferences. It is also possible to do the train all the way as an all-day connection. Departure Copenhagen at 7.45. Train change in Hamburg, Cologne and Brussels and arrival in London at 21.33. This might be a bit cumbersome, many connections and a very long train day. Remember that you have to take care of your own luggage yourself at every train change, hauling it up and down stairs.

As Chrismo says, the main problem is humping your luggae. However, this isn't too bad. You can do Copenhagen-Hamburg-Brussels Zuid-St Pancras(London) without leaving stations ie you have just got to change platforms. In London you need a cab ride to Waterloo station then its straight to Southampton, but I think you will probably need to break the trip for the night in Brussels or London. I agree with Chrismo...much as I like travelling by train, the sleepers aren't always the best and if it was going to take 2 days anyway I'd use the cabin on the ferry. You pays your money and makes your choice!!

Simon