PDA

View Full Version : When Life Hands You Lemons - Make Limoncello

Sandytoes
August 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Princess Cruises makes its own Limoncello.

http://blip.tv/file/230585

Yum!!!

flamomo
August 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, and it's really good!

northwoods2
August 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'm a big fan of lemoncello. We first had it on the isle of Capri. On our first Princess cruise we discovered that they made it. The chef gave us a recipe but it was not done as they did in the video. I have read numerous articles and recipes and have made it myself 4 times - most recently last week.

The recipe/method I used calls for grain alcohol (Everclear) - which I think works better than vodka since there is no taste. And the lemon peel is soaked in the Everclear for 10-14 (or more) days. Then is combined with a simple syrup of sugar and water.

Very easy to make - and keeps in the freezer for a long time - if your friends don't drink it all!!

Yum - Yum

jacketwatch
August 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Northwoods2. Lovely. Could I please have that recipe? I luv that stuff. Larry :)

NomDePlume
August 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for both recipes--where does one find Everclear in the States?

northwoods2
August 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Here's the recipe as I got it from Princess. But I found this way to strong so have adjusted the recipe as shown below. You can adjust it to your desired sweetness level.

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol
16 lemons
300 gram sugar
1 liter water

Directions

Peel the lemons making sure that there is no white part. Place the lemon peel inside of thebottle containing the grain alcohol and let it marinate for at least ten days. After ten days separate the alcohol from the peel (throw away the lemons peels). In a skillet pour the water and sugar at the same time and bring it to the boiling point, make sure that the sugar is melted completely. Slowly add the lemon flavored alcohol. Let is simmer for a few minutes. Take it off the flame, cool and place in the refrigerator. To be served very cold.

Adjusted recipe:
2 750 ml bottles of Everclear
24 lemons
7 cups sugar
11 cups water

Steps are the same.

northwoods2
August 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM

You can get Everclear in most any liquor store in the States I believe. Our grocery store carryies liquor and always has Everclear.

jacketwatch
August 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you!! :)

whale-watcher
August 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
We found the limoncello quality varies from ship to ship...our favorite was on the coral...

and for Northwoods2 ... so you just use the very outermost part of the lemon peel, and not the rest of the lemon? could I use a lemon zester or veggie peeler for this? Thanks!

notentirelynormal
August 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The Everclear also varies by state on the alcohol content, or at least it used to. Florida had more then California... unfortunately I live in California but I'm checking it out next time I'm in Florida. Brought back 10 bottles one year - really threw off the guy checking our luggage.

LENORA516
August 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM

You can't buy Everclear in some states (New York being one of them) but, I was able to find it in Maryland.

northwoods2
August 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
We found the limoncello quality varies from ship to ship...our favorite was on the coral...

and for Northwoods2 ... so you just use the very outermost part of the lemon peel, and not the rest of the lemon? could I use a lemon zester or veggie peeler for this? Thanks!

The Coral was the ship we first had it on :)

Yes, just the outermost part. I use a sharp veggie peeler. A friend uses a lemon zester. I prefer the veggie peeler then it is easy to strain the liquid without getting any lemon peel matter.

northwoods2
August 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
You can't buy Everclear in some states (New York being one of them) but, I was able to find it in Maryland.

I've bought it in Wisconsin and Iowa.

Marie-Claude
August 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The reporter in the video says that not only Princess is the only one to make homemade Limoncello but it's FREE!!

Is that so?

I do remember being offered Limoncello at the end of Italian night, but I don't remember it being FREE??

MC

whale-watcher
August 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
The Coral was the ship we first had it on :)

Yes, just the outermost part. I use a sharp veggie peeler. A friend uses a lemon zester. I prefer the veggie peeler then it is easy to strain the liquid without getting any lemon peel matter.I will swing by the store on my way home tonight...thanks!

The reporter in the video says that not only Princess is the only one to make homemade Limoncello but it's FREE!!

Is that so?

...no, not free...but you do get to keep the (very cool) glass that it is served in.

WeBeGone
August 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Is that so?

I do remember being offered Limoncello at the end of Italian night, but I don't remember it being FREE??

MC
Well, the limoncello is "free", but you have to pay for the glass it's served in. I know, it's all the same - but it's a legal technicality since the liquid is not purchased, they can't charge for it. I usually come home with 8 glasses - they make great Christmas gifts. :cool:

NomDePlume
August 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks--One can find anything in Maryland...:o

bhopal21
August 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
If you have a very large liquor store nearby you can buy Caravella Limoncello originale d'Italia imported from Italy. I actually have a bottle in the freezer presently.

I am too lazy to make it.:D

Mike:)

TXTraveler76
August 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi,

Limoncello is one of my favorites. I have two bottles in the freezer right now. One bought locally and the other is from Italy. Italy limoncello has a higher alcohol content and you can certainly feel it after having 2 shots. I always come home with a few extra glasses.

MC- Are you ready for Italian night? I am! (minimum of 2 for myself)

Jacki

Andee
August 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Princess also has wonderful limoncello sorbet.

Scooter-n-GB
August 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Can't get Everclear in Maine either. I'm sure the gargantuan NH liquor store would have it though.. :p

Looking forward to having some Limoncello on the Crown in Oct (Limoncello Martini is nice also)! Now, if I could only find a good recipe for homemade Cointreau... :D

chrystine
August 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the video link, Sandytoes :) Has anyone had the Limoncello on the CB? If so, do they use the same glasses on the CB? They are so cute.

Marie-Claude
August 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Jacki
Oh you... wild women... I'm ready... I will look for you on Italian night so we can 'Salute' with this great liquor!!

MC;)

CalifCruiser1
August 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Lake Tahoe has Everclear its closer to us- but have you tried the one made by our local growers in Ventura its really good and Wades Wines off the freeway in Agoura carries it "Ventura County
Growers Lemoncello. good luck Karon The Everclear also varies by state on the alcohol content, or at least it used to. Florida had more then California... unfortunately I live in California but I'm checking it out next time I'm in Florida. Brought back 10 bottles one year - really threw off the guy checking our luggage.

cruznliz
August 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
On one ship the Limoncello looked and tasted a little creamy, as though a milk based product had been added. It was delicious but I wonder if the recipe was different. :eek:

Sandytoes
August 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the video link, Sandytoes :) Has anyone had the Limoncello on the CB? If so, do they use the same glasses on the CB? They are so cute.
I will order it on my cruise and will let you know.
I have heard that the drink is free because of a legal reason.
They do charge you for the glass.

chrystine
August 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I will order it on my cruise and will let you know.
I have heard that the drink is free because of a legal reason.
They do charge you for the glass.

Great! I will look forward to your review and your limoncello experience :) Enjoy your cruise!

NY2NH2008
August 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I know you have to pay for the glass, but has anyone tried to just get refills :D

Can't get Everclear in NH (we live here). We actually picked up a bottle in Florida last time we went searching.

Sailing on the Ruby in March and although I don't like vodka- I just can't resist a free drink and a souvenir glass

tvaud
August 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Has anyone had the Limoncello on the CB? If so, do they use the same glasses on the CB? They are so cute.

Yes, CB does make Limoncello and it's great! The glasses they serve it in are identical to the other ships....and available in a few different colors. We have green, blue and red, so far.:)

tvaud
August 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM
On one ship the Limoncello looked and tasted a little creamy, as though a milk based product had been added. It was delicious but I wonder if the recipe was different. :eek:

There is a creamy version of Limoncello. It is also available commercially. In fact, I have some in my fridge right now!:) They are both great.

TXTraveler76
August 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I have ordered it many times and did receive one refill. Our waiter and assistant waiter joined our table in a toast. The three of us drank it in one gulp and all the others at my table sipped. I told them my glass had a hole in it and I wonderfully received a refill. When we stopped in Italy and I bought some Limoncello in Pisa, I brought it onboard and we all enjoyed another glass from me.

tvaud
August 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Next time, try the Limoncello gelato in the International Cafe. It's to die for!:p

Denisern2
August 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I love princess lemoncello. The only better is in sorento.

Pixelator
August 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Sandytoes -

Thanks for the great video link! Yes, same glasses on the CB as in the Emerald Princess video. Cool glasses. DD Emily and I were at dinner 2nd formal night last Aug on our CB (first) cruise and wondered what everyone was drinking at the next table that they were enjoying so much. Our waiter poured me one, and kept on pouring.... and pouring... and pouring! DD Emily (17) tried a sip and christened her own name for the drink - she said it reminded her of those little moistened towelettes all us parents take in the car on vacations - to us, Limoncello is now "The Wetnap" !!!!

Bob Laubach
Manassas VA

Love Boat Dream
August 5th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I just had some on the Golden. It was a little strong, as if it was sitting around a little too long!

But, then I had some at the Chefs Table. We had limoncello sorbet and they poured the limoncello over it and it was delicious!

chivas1
August 5th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Hi, how much do they charge for the glass? And is it available in every bar?
thanks

Chesie
August 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Has anyone tried "cream" of limoncello? It's the best. I was given a bottle as a gift in a beautiful blue bottle. My sister in law obtained it on Arthur Avenue, Bronx NY. Yum Yum

northwoods2
August 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
We bought the cream lemoncello in Sorrento once and didn't drink it for a couple years and it went bad. The cream part of it separated from the rest. So if you buy it drink it soon. I was waiting for a special time to have it. Boy was I bummed.

noobiecruiser
August 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yum! Love Limoncello!!

mycruz
August 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Oh you... wild women... I'm ready... I will look for you on Italian night so we can 'Salute' with this great liquor!!

MC;)

Jackie and MC, Great minds think alike, looks like we may have to add something else to our activity page!

and he said it's healthy too! wish I had some right now, it would probably knock this cold right out.

Mary

notentirelynormal
August 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Lake Tahoe has Everclear its closer to us- but have you tried the one made by our local growers in Ventura its really good and Wades Wines off the freeway in Agoura carries it "Ventura County
Growers Lemoncello. good luck Karon

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also for those of you who really do like the glass and not just the ingredients - Bed Bath and Beyond sells them as a set. Not as much fun though.

notentirelynormal
August 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Growers Lemoncello. good luck Karon

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also for those of you who really do like the glass and not just the ingredients - Bed Bath and Beyond sells them as a set. Not as much fun though.

Sandytoes
August 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi, how much do they charge for the glass? And is it available in every bar?

First shot is $4.95 + 15% gratuity
Your waiter might give you a second shot for free. (our waiter did)
You get to keep the shot glass.

BabsterA
August 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
First shot is $4.95 + 15% gratuity
Your waiter might give you a second shot for free. (our waiter did)
You get to keep the shot glass.

Thanks for the picture of the glass - fun glassware is one of my weaknesses. I'm taking my first Princess cruise on the Ruby in January. Is limoncelo only available on Italian night? How do you know which night of the cruise will be Italian? We have Anytime dining and would want to be sure to be in the right restaurant on the right night. Sorry for all the questions....just SO excited and we're still 159 days out.

Spikesgirl
August 16th, 2008, 09:38 AM
It's available any night, but some you have to ask for it. I think on our ten-day British Isle, it was offered as a special three nights. My DH loves to pour it over ice cream, so many nights that's what he opted for in the dining room and we gave our table mates the glasses. We have a friend who makes his own and it's okay, but IMO everything tastes better when there's a cruise wrapped around it:D

goodie2shoes
August 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
We have found that often you can only get it on Italian Night, as they run out. Belive me, I've tried. We love it!

tequilasunrise
August 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I agree--the booze and the sorbet are both great :)

Sandytoes
August 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the picture of the glass - fun glassware is one of my weaknesses. I'm taking my first Princess cruise on the Ruby in January. Is limoncelo only available on Italian night? How do you know which night of the cruise will be Italian? We have Anytime dining and would want to be sure to be in the right restaurant on the right night. Sorry for all the questions....just SO excited and we're still 159 days out.

On Caribbean night a waiter came around offering Limoncello. Then the next night, Italian, our waiter asked if we wanted it again. Of course!!! :D
So, I think it's offered any night, you might just have to ask for it.

benmon
August 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
in Italian night if you bought the shot glass. the waiter left the whole bottle. that was the deal of the week. B

Nymue
August 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Jacki & MC,

Please have a glass or 5 for me...I LOVE the stuff :p I bought a wonderful bottle of it in the Duty Free shop onboard the CB last month, one shot and I'm out. It's imported from Italy and stronger than what's served on board.

The glasses they were selling / serving it in were NOT the pretty ones shown in the video, however they are cute and say 'Princess' on them with the Logo. Bob hot glued a little loop on two to use as Christmas tree ormaments on our family room tree :D

Hugs,
Anne

Hi,

Limoncello is one of my favorites. I have two bottles in the freezer right now. One bought locally and the other is from Italy. Italy limoncello has a higher alcohol content and you can certainly feel it after having 2 shots. I always come home with a few extra glasses.

Jacki

Nymue
August 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I't's AMAZING :p I've taken to adding a few shots of Limoncello to my Lemon Mouse recipe..... YUM :D

Nymue
August 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
No.....but the one the use are cute!

Nymue
August 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
We sailed the CB the end of June and the glasses were diffrent :(

Sandytoes -

Thanks for the great video link! Yes, same glasses on the CB as in the Emerald Princess video. Cool glasses. DD Emily and I were at dinner 2nd formal night last Aug on our CB (first) cruise and wondered what everyone was drinking at the next table that they were enjoying so much. Our waiter poured me one, and kept on pouring.... and pouring... and pouring! DD Emily (17) tried a sip and christened her own name for the drink - she said it reminded her of those little moistened towelettes all us parents take in the car on vacations - to us, Limoncello is now "The Wetnap" !!!!

Bob Laubach
Manassas VA

TXTraveler76
August 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I have received two different style of shot glasses. One has a stem, the other the ball as in the video. I like the one with the stem and looking forward to seeing more of these. I have plenty of the others, can you say boxes.

Anne- certainly, we will have a toast to you. I shall miss you being on this one. Hope to sail with you again in 2010 to Alaska, then we will toast together.

Jacki

1stCruiser
August 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing this video! We LOVE limoncello. In October, we plan to compare Princess' limoncello with the bottle(s) we buy in Sorrento! ;)

As for the glasses, I hope that they still have the same ones. We already have 8 from our last cruise - 4 which we "bought" and 4 that we "won" by completing the "bar crawl" I don't think Princess does the bar crawl anymore - too bad it was fun! :(

impartfish
August 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Princess Cruises makes its own Limoncello.

http://blip.tv/file/230585

Yum!!!

And it's excellent! It was my first and best so far! ;)

Sandytoes
August 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Warning!!!!

Do not place the new Limoncello stemware in the dishwasher....:eek:
The shiny metal lining disintegrates. :(

~~~~~

I also have to tell about a Limoncello we picked up in St Thomas.
After trying Limoncello onboard we stopped by a liquor store and picked two different kinds of Limoncello.

Hands down -

Pallini Limoncello

http://luxuryexperience.com/images/stories/Liquors/Palini/ppallini_shot_lemons.jpg

Smooth - Tasty - Delicious

Nymue
August 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Sandy ~

That's the same one we bought in the Duty Free Store on the ship. I agree....it is pure heaven :D

Anne

Sandytoes
August 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Anne

You know I have to try this now.

:D

I't's AMAZING I've taken to adding a few shots of Limoncello to my Lemon Mouse recipe..... YUM

Nanatravel
August 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks Again Sandy. We all love Limoncello. I brought several bottles back from the Amalfi Coast last year. Where did you buy it in port?

Nanatravel

bhopal21
August 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Pallini Limoncello is available in the U.S.

My local store has it for $21.99 750ml

What is the price in the duty free store?

Sandytoes
August 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Pallini Limoncello is available in the U.S.

My local store has it for $21.99 750ml

What is the price in the duty free store?:)
We bought ours at the Crown Bay Center in St Thomas for $24.99

Treven
August 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I got a bottle at Safeway.

jacketwatch
August 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I started the process two days ago using the Princess recipe. By the end of this mo. it should be ready. We'll see :)

Sandytoes
August 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I started the process two days ago using the Princess recipe. By the end of this mo. it should be ready. We'll see :)
Boy, would I love to sample that.

Let us know how it turns out - OK?

:)

bhopal21
August 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
We bought ours at the Crown Bay Center in St Thomas for $24.99

Wow! That lets people know that it is not worth packing to take back home.:D

Sandytoes
August 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wow! That lets people know that it is not worth packing to take back home.

L:DL!!!

I was thinking of that....I wonder if Princess would allow you to bring it back to your cabin?....;)..:D

We bought other types of liquor that were very reasonable priced.
So, we thought :rolleyes: we were getting a deal buying the Limoncello as well.
But, it really doesn't matter -
I guess you can say mine has a more expensive taste....:D

Nymue
August 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
On the Caribbean Princess we bought a bottle in the Duty Free shop on the last night. It was NOT on display, we had to ask for it..... however it was the same amazing brand that Sandy picked up in port :p

Anne

kirbyrox
August 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
so thats the stuff i was drinking humm :eek:

want2cruiseagain
August 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM

Is that so?

MC
No, it is not free. The waiter poured ours, but did not say there was a charge. We got to take the little glasses with us, but then we saw a charge on our statement that we did not sign for. Seems that was it. Not that it mattered, but it would have been nice if they told us ahead of time.

Sandytoes
August 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
No, it is not free. The waiter poured ours, but did not say there was a charge. We got to take the little glasses with us, but then we saw a charge on our statement that we did not sign for. Seems that was it. Not that it mattered, but it would have been nice if they told us ahead of time.

The drink costs $4.95 and you can keep the glass.
A refill would be $3.95.
(We were given a refill for free)

:o

The next night I thought I could get a refill for $3.95.
So I brought the glasses, wrapped up in my purse, :o to the dining room.
When the waiter came over and asked if we wanted Limoncello
I told him that I brought my glass. :o
He said, No, it's only a one shot :rolleyes: deal.
You need to buy the drink and glass daily if you want Limoncello.

I now have a collection of glasses.....:p..:D

Treven
August 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
I believe this link was from a previous post on CC. You might want to browse through the posts about making your own Lemoncello.

http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

As a single person I doubt that I'd go through the steps necessary to make my own; I can simply walk over to my neighborhood Safeway and buy a bottle and put it in my freezer. I have 4 or 5 Tequilla shot glasses I bought on one of my foreys to Puerto Vallarta few years ago. So when I want some Lemoncello I pour it out into one of my fancy shot glasses and sit out on my patio.

smoosh21
August 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Here's the recipe as I got it from Princess. But I found this way to strong so have adjusted the recipe as shown below. You can adjust it to your desired sweetness level.

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol
16 lemons
300 gram sugar
1 liter water

Directions

Peel the lemons making sure that there is no white part. Place the lemon peel inside of thebottle containing the grain alcohol and let it marinate for at least ten days. After ten days separate the alcohol from the peel (throw away the lemons peels). In a skillet pour the water and sugar at the same time and bring it to the boiling point, make sure that the sugar is melted completely. Slowly add the lemon flavored alcohol. Let is simmer for a few minutes. Take it off the flame, cool and place in the refrigerator. To be served very cold.

Adjusted recipe:
24 lemons
7 cups sugar
11 cups water

Steps are the same.

Everclear is 95% alcohol, it seems a bit dangerous to be adding it to boiling simple syrup over an open flame. I would suspect this would put you in danger of easily hitting the flash point.

Nymue
August 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning that they put it in the freezer. I keep mine in the refrigerator.....what am I doing wrong?

Anne

bhopal21
August 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Nothing, it is just a matter of personal preference.;)

jacketwatch
August 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Boy, would I love to sample that.

Let us know how it turns out - OK?

:)
I will report it when its done. Hopefully it'll be good news. Its a simple recipe and I hope it goes well. If so it can be varied using say flavored vodkas, etc. Larry :)

Sandytoes
August 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning that they put it in the freezer. I keep mine in the refrigerator.....what am I doing wrong?
Anne

Limoncello is usually stored in the freezer.
Tastes better when it's served icy cold in tiny glasses.
We keep it in the freezer too.

Nymue
August 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Than into the freezer mine goes!!!!!!!

Anne

Limoncello is usually stored in the freezer.
Tastes better when it's served icy cold in tiny glasses.
We keep it in the freezer too.

WeBeGone
August 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Cook your favorite pasta. (I use angel hair)
Saute fresh shrimp in butter and a little garlic.
When shrimp are done (4 min), add 1 cup Limoncello (more or less to taste and the number of people)
Mix and toss into the pasta.
With a salad, white wine, and garlic bread, you have a Limoncello Pasta meal fit for a queen.

I got this "recipe" from Generoso, my favorite maitre d'.

Nymue
August 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
That sounds AWESOME....bet it would be great with bay scallops as well :p

Anne - who knows what she fixing for dinner ths weekend.
Limoncello Mouse for dessert :D

When shrimp are done (4 min), add 1 cup Limoncello (more or less to taste and the number of people)
With a salad, white wine, and garlic bread, you have a Limoncello Pasta meal fit for a queen.

Sandytoes
August 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
WeBeGone

Wow!
That does sound tasty!!!!
I think I will give it a go. :)
Wonder how it will taste using Chicken?

Treven
August 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Limoncello is what's used when one gets a Lemon Drop Martini. Probably.

Mimi39
August 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Can't wait to order it on our Star Princess Alaska cruise. Our first limoncella was in Sorrento!!! Trader Joe's has both the regular and cream type.

Sandytoes
August 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder if Limoncello is what's used when one gets a Lemon Drop Martini. Probably.
I tried the Lemon Martini - it was very mild nothing like the Limoncello.
Prefer the Limoncello!!!! :p

CalifCruiser1
August 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
On Diamond it was creamy and it was free refills- had 4:D. I went to Trader Jo's to get the creamy and was told they haven't been able to get it the last 4 months. So does anyone know how to make the creamy kind? :D Karon

Nymue
August 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Off to Trader Joes :p Can't wait to try the Cream one :D
BTW - I tried the recipe this weekend with scallops & spinich angle hair pasta ........YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne

Can't wait to order it on our Star Princess Alaska cruise. Our first limoncella was in Sorrento!!! Trader Joe's has both the regular and cream type.

CalifCruiser1
August 31st, 2008, 12:31 AM
I went to Bevmo and had to special order the creamy kind. Any one have the recipe for it? thanks:)

quincytoo
August 31st, 2008, 01:11 AM
The drink costs $4.95 and you can keep the glass.
A refill would be $3.95.
(We were given a refill for free)

The next night I thought I could get a refill for $3.95.
So I brought the glasses, wrapped up in my purse, to the dining room.
When the waiter came over and asked if we wanted Limoncello
I told him that I brought my glass. :o
He said, No, it's only a one shot :rolleyes: deal.
You need to buy the drink and glass daily if you want Limoncello.

I now have a collection of glasses.....:p..:D

We have been on two Princess cruises and now have four Limoncello glasses, soon to be at least 8 on our CB cruise this Oct :rolleyes:

Also have a bottle in the freezer!!! What can I say??? It is GREAT for settling an upset stomach after a huge heavy meal, actually the chips and dip I just munched on isn't settling well....BRB :o

jacketwatch
August 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi guys. Well I just made the stuff after marinating the zest in vodka for 13 days. I must say it came out much to my liking. I don't think I'll be buying it anymore I used the zest aof about 9 lemons, let it soak in 750 cc of Smirnoff 80 proof vodka, then boiled around 800 cc water with about 200 gm. sugar until dissolved, then slowly added the strained alcohol mixture. Once all of it was in the sugar H2O mixture just let it simmer for maybe 5 mins. and remove from the heat. Then I let it cool. The taste now is really good and I can't wait to try it cold. I'm happy with the results. :)

jacketwatch
August 31st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Also a huge thanks to Northwoods for the recipe. :)

Sandytoes
August 31st, 2008, 11:02 PM
We have been on two Princess cruises and now have four Limoncello glasses, soon to be at least 8 on our CB cruise this Oct

Also have a bottle in the freezer!!! What can I say??? It is GREAT for settling an upset stomach after a huge heavy meal, actually the chips and dip I just munched on isn't settling well....BRB

You know it helped.
Had way too much to eat tonight...:o - it did settle my tummy. Who knew...:rolleyes:..:p And just to make sure, I had another..;) ..:D

northwoods2
August 31st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Also a huge thanks to Northwoods for the recipe. :)

You're welcome.

I was just reading and thinking my stomach is hurting a little too. Sure glad I still have some in the freezer. My friends like it so much it is hard to keep around.

dbdave
September 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
After reading this thread and not having ever tried Limoncello before, I went and bought some, popped it in the freezer and waited for it to get very cold. I poured me a bit, tried it and unfortunately hated it. :eek: I'm apparently not tough enough for Limoncello! :confused: I have an almost full bottle of highly recommended Limoncello chilled in the freezer if anyone that likes it shows up. :)

quincytoo
September 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
After reading this thread and not having ever tried Limoncello before, I went and bought some, popped it in the freezer and waited for it to get very cold. I poured me a bit, tried it and unfortunately hated it. :eek: I'm apparently not tough enough for Limoncello! :confused: I have an almost full bottle of highly recommended Limoncello chilled in the freezer if anyone that likes it shows up. :)

It is rather like an addiction, I wasn't too sure of it when I first tried it and now YUM!!! Especially after a really heavy meal.

I have had it mixed into Lemon Drop Martinins and it was very good. I make a *adult* lemonade...vodka, ginger-ale, fresh lemon juice, very tart and refreshing, next time I am going to add Limoncello to it too:p

WeBeGone
September 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hi guys. Well I just made the stuff after marinating the zest in vodka for 13 days. I must say it came out much to my liking. I don't think I'll be buying it anymore I used the zest aof about 9 lemons, let it soak in 750 cc of Smirnoff 80 proof vodka, then boiled around 800 cc water with about 200 gm. sugar until dissolved, then slowly added the strained alcohol mixture. Once all of it was in the sugar H2O mixture just let it simmer for maybe 5 mins. and remove from the heat. Then I let it cool. The taste now is really good and I can't wait to try it cold. I'm happy with the results. :)

Did you know you can make a non-sugar version? Just substitute Splenda - same measure as sugar. I let my lemons set for 30 days. For a "creamed" version, I add Eagle Brand to my limoncello.

jacketwatch
September 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Did you know you can make a non-sugar version? Just substitute Splenda - same measure as sugar. I let my lemons set for 30 days. For a "creamed" version, I add Eagle Brand to my limoncello.
Wow! I don't use splenda. How much would it cost and does it come in bulk, i.e. not is those little packets?

WeBeGone
September 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Wow! I don't use splenda. How much would it cost and does it come in bulk, i.e. not is those little packets?
Yes, it comes in bulk. Just look where they sell sugar.

quincytoo
September 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Does the creamy version take away some of the bite?? Grand Marnier used to have a creamed GM that was lovely. I am thinking it would taste really good.

jacketwatch
September 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, it comes in bulk. Just look where they sell sugar.
Thank you. Actually I think I will stick to the sugar. I like the way it came out and honestly for me its a summer time libation anyway so I don't use it that much. Cheers, Larry :)

Nymue
September 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
That's wonderful to know :D I'm diabetic and LOVE Limoncello :p

Sandytoes
September 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
After reading this thread and not having ever tried Limoncello before, I went and bought some, popped it in the freezer and waited for it to get very cold. I poured me a bit, tried it and unfortunately hated it. I'm apparently not tough enough for Limoncello!

I have an almost full bottle of highly recommended Limoncello chilled in the freezer if anyone that likes it shows up.
So is it half full or half empty? ;)

~

It could be the brand you bought.

I bought one cheap and not so cheap. :rolleyes:
We prefer the not so cheap. :p
The $10 bottle (bought in St Thomas) tasted like straight alcohol. No lemon flavor.
The $25, goes down real smooth...:p..:D

dbdave
September 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sandytoes, it was actually a $35 bottle but it definitely has a very strong alcohol flavor. I guess I'll have to try a different one or make my own.:)

Shelebeen
September 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM
We were on the TP last summer and on Italian night they offered the Lemoncello.. we bought shots for whomever wanted them at our table of 8.... I think 6 of us went for it....

Our waiter filled our glasses at least 3 times each.... I seem to recall the waves being huge and impairing my walking out of the dining room that night ;).

We only paid for the first round, the rest were free - pretty much until the bottle was empty.

whale-watcher
September 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol
16 lemons
300 gram sugar
1 liter water

Directions

Adjusted recipe:
24 lemons
7 cups sugar
11 cups water

Steps are the same.Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...our first batch is complete, and the flavor and aroma are both amazing!

Sandytoes
September 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Our waiter filled our glasses at least 3 times each.... I seem to recall the waves being huge and impairing my walking out of the dining room that night :D:D:D.

We only paid for the first round, the rest were free - pretty much until the bottle was empty.

Boy, were you lucky to get such good service
I was only refilled once....:(

Crown Prince
October 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
We bought the cream lemoncello in Sorrento once and didn't drink it for a couple years and it went bad. The cream part of it separated from the rest. So if you buy it drink it soon. I was waiting for a special time to have it. Boy was I bummed.

Lemoncello needs to be kept in the Freezer. :D

Mimi39
October 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
On our Alaska cruise on the Star Limoncello was available at dinner as well as at Italian night, but only in the dining room, we tried at one of the bars and they didn't have it. We do have a lovely collection of those cute, colorful little glasses that you can take home:)

jacketwatch
October 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'm amking my 2nd batch now. In about 10 days it will be ready. I varied the recipe a bit and will use more alcohol to H2O ratio and less suger but the 1st batch turned out pretty good. :)

arlenez
October 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I tried it and my son, the chef, raved about it. It was delicious and a real winner!

Anyone else have any other recipes?

Thanks again,
Arlene

Treven
October 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't care for it the first time I tried it, but evidently it's something that grows on you. I've liked it ever since. You might give it a few more tries. If you still don't like it you can send it to me!!

jp20
October 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I heard that at the chef's table they finish off dessert with a shot of Limoncello, and hopefully I can try it there. I'm not a drinker for the sulfites make me have migraine headaches, but I think I'm just going to plan on taking my medicine with me and going for it. It sounds like it will be worth it, besides I don't get a headache until the next day anyways. On our Alaska cruise on the Star Limoncello was available at dinner as well as at Italian night, but only in the dining room, we tried at one of the bars and they didn't have it. We do have a lovely collection of those cute, colorful little glasses that you can take home:)

Sandytoes
October 12th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I heard that at the chef's table they finish off dessert with a shot of Limoncello, and hopefully I can try it there. I'm not a drinker for the sulfites make me have migraine headaches, but I think I'm just going to plan on taking my medicine with me and going for it. It sounds like it will be worth it, besides I don't get a headache until the next day anyways.

I also get migraines.
You don't have to worry, it's a lemon alcoholic drink ( not a wine)
Princess makes their own Limoncello
and no sulfites are added.

Enjoy!