Excursion HELP please

cruzbound

Hi there,

DH and I will be taking a New England cruise and there are two ports in which we are torn on what to do - Portland and Halifax. We would like to kayak at one of the places and I seemed to have found a company at both stops that are good and reputable.

The question is to anyone who has done these ports before, would you go kayaking in Portland or Halifax? Also, my DH love schooner boat rides and I have not succeeded in finding too much of that in Halifax but have found a company in Portland. With that said, if we take the schooner boat in Portland and not kayak, will we be disappointed? We will then kayak in Halifax. I am just trying to find the best place for kayaking and not miss out on anything.

Thanks for the help/advice.

cruzbound

I think you'll "see" a lot more on the Schooner in Portland than kayaking. If you're really into activity based outings, the schooner will let folks help hoist sails as well as other minor activities on the vessel. They do their best at getting you out into the mouth of the channel leading to Portland to view Portland Head Lighthouse (not that you won't have that opportunity on your ship as you pass by). You'll also be passing by many of the forts on the islands and mainland and the crew on the schooners will tell you a bit about them. Don't know which kayak outfitter you're looking at using as an alternative in Portland, but don't think you'll see as much of the historic structures from that activity.

Have not done Halifax on a cruise so no help to you up there. sorry...

sopo Pirates,

Thank you so much for responding to my post. Can you suggest a schooner company for us to go with? I have been in contact with Portland Schooner Company but I want to make sure they are good or if there are others for me to check out too.

Thanks, cruzbound

Archived