PDA

View Full Version : how much cash in Euros to bring on cruise?

eskiemomo
September 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM
we will be cruising the Mediterranean on Royal Caribbean, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Malta.

how much cash in Euros do we need on hand? We have cruised before but to the Caribbean where dollars were not a problem. I am thinking of cash for things like taxis, trains, shopping in bazaars where credit cards might not be an option.

Also would you recommend getting them way ahead of time at the airport, bank, or wait until you're actually on the trip? I don't want to waste my vacation running around looking for ATM machines.

cant51
September 19th, 2008, 02:52 AM
we will be cruising the Mediterranean on Royal Caribbean, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Malta.

how much cash in Euros do we need on hand? We have cruised before but to the Caribbean where dollars were not a problem. I am thinking of cash for things like taxis, trains, shopping in bazaars where credit cards might not be an option.

Also would you recommend getting them way ahead of time at the airport, bank, or wait until you're actually on the trip? I don't want to waste my vacation running around looking for ATM machines.

How much cash to bring to Europe I don't now, but I can tell you that
Spain, Italy an d Malta is much more expensive than Greece and Turkey

I travel to all those country's and you must realise that for you Europe
is expensive now a days (dollar/euro), If you take a taxi in those country's
ask the price most off the time there is no meter, public transportation
is most off the time resemble.

I don't now if you will sit on a terrace and take a coffee or a lunch then you will see that in Italy and Spain on all the tourist spots its very expensive for you in Italy you pay easily 5 dollar for a cup of coffee (and now refill), on the other hand in Greece and Turkey you pay last.

When you are in Greece order on a terrace for lunch Tzatziki and bread
(that's Yogurt,cucumber,and garlic) the taste of tad is so nice.
also the dessert from yogurt whit walnuts and honing is yumie.

Bring your dollars whit you, don't ruse for ATM, I hope you have
a wonderful trip, and if you have any questions ask them I'm glad
when I can help you.

Greetings Toos from the Netherlands

Keith1010
September 19th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I would wait until you get over to Europe and I would get them at an ATM. On a related note be sure to let your ATM and Credit Card companies know the dates of your trip and where you are traveling to so they don't think the tranactions on your cards are fraud related.

How much you need really depends on how much cash you will spend. Everyone is different. Based on what you have said maybe you should start with say a couple hundred euros but again it depends on how much you plan to spend.

Keith

marci22
September 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I would wait until you get over to Europe and I would get them at an ATM. On a related note be sure to let your ATM and Credit Card companies know the dates of your trip and where you are traveling to so they don't think the tranactions on your cards are fraud related.

How much you need really depends on how much cash you will spend. Everyone is different. Based on what you have said maybe you should start with say a couple hundred euros but again it depends on how much you plan to spend.

Keith

Good advice.

If you have private tours booked, you will know how much you need for that. A couple hundred euro is a good start on a multi-port trip. I started out with 600 eu (had back-to-back private tours planned) and replenished as I went along. If I needed money I kept my eyes open for an ATM. They are everywhere.

The only place I'm not sure about is Turkey. We paid our tour guide in dollars. Market vendors asked for euro but I said "I only have dollars" and they took dollars. I think the ATMs there give out Turkish lira and I wouldn't want to be stuck with that.

Keith1010
September 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Good advice.

If you have private tours booked, you will know how much you need for that. A couple hundred euro is a good start on a multi-port trip. I started out with 600 eu (had back-to-back private tours planned) and replenished as I went along. If I needed money I kept my eyes open for an ATM. They are everywhere.

The only place I'm not sure about is Turkey. We paid our tour guide in dollars. Market vendors asked for euro but I said "I only have dollars" and they took dollars. I think the ATMs there give out Turkish lira and I wouldn't want to be stuck with that.

Market vendors in Turkey are happy taking dollars, euors and pounds.

Keith

agabbymama
September 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
eskiemomo

My bank tells me my bank card won't work in Europe, so not ATM searching for me. I have already gotten 1000 EUR and I will have my Capital One credit card.

I went to Austria & Hungary in 2001, thinking I could exchange my money there, I wouldn't get any ahead of time. I arrived in Budapest on a Saturday, their Independence Holiday. All banks and exchanges were closed until Tuesday. Then I had an all day tour planned for Wednesday, so I ended up 5 days with no Hungarian money. If the stores were large, they would take the credit card, but it sure put a damper on shopping.

So I don't take a chance now. I will get the money of the destination I'm going to, before I leave home.

chipmaster
September 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Without knowing what you plan to do it would be hard to make a recommendation.

If you are doing private tours it can run you 100+ Euros/person per port. Then you add entrance fees, guides, shopping, food and you could easily be at another 100 Euros.

If you are doing all ship sponsored then you could probably get away with as little as 20-30 Euros/day if you are a thrifty shopper.

ATMS are indeed everywhere, but hard to find right at the most touristy locations. Avoid the ship exchange at all cost as their exchange rate is horrible.

Happy planning.

marci22
September 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
[quote=agabbymama;16329083]eskiemomo

My bank tells me my bank card won't work in Europe, so not ATM searching for me. I have already gotten 1000 EUR and I will have my Capital One credit card.

I went to Austria & Hungary in 2001, thinking I could exchange my money there, I wouldn't get any ahead of time. I arrived in Budapest on a Saturday, their Independence Holiday. All banks and exchanges were closed until Tuesday. Then I had an all day tour planned for Wednesday, so I ended up 5 days with no Hungarian money. If the stores were large, they would take the credit card, but it sure put a damper on shopping.

[quote]

Even the ATM's were closed? Was this a land vacation? I think that is different from a cruise holiday, where you always have the ship's convenient (although expensive) backup exchange.

btw I called my cc company in advance to let them know I would be using my Capital One in Europe, but it was still rejected at a merchant. When I called in, they said they had no information that I would be traveling in Greece. Huh?? So double check with your credit cards. (I had a backup cc, just in case. Same with debit card)

CathyCruises
September 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I remembering reading last year that Capital One had some advantage in Europe--can someone remind me what it is? I have gotten one since my last trip but can't remember why it's going to be a good thing!

Also, I plan to take $500 worth of euros with me because last year I had an incident where my debit card, which had been working fine, all of sudden was not accepted and it scared me to death! Still don't know what the problem was; but I found a different bank's ATM and it was fine. So I am just taking some euros as back up but plan to keep my stash at about that level--just in case! Most of the time it worked well and there really were atms everywhere--just like starbucks!

Thanks,
Cathy

agabbymama
September 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
CathyCruises

Capital One is the only card that doesn't charge you a conversion fee.

But don't use it to get cash, as the charges are still sky high for that.

prophotogirl
September 19th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I got Euros before I left. I didn't want the hassle of searching for an ATM. Just my luck there would not be one when I needed it. Ordered them online through my bank and had them delivered to my local branch. Got a better rate than my friends did. I did have to get more euros while on the cruise but I just used the ship's ATM and then had the Guest Relations desk convert to Euros for me. When I got home what I didn't use I took back to the bank. Turns out of the $200 (+$6 fee) I only used about $55 of it.

English_in_Spain
September 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Eskiemomo, are you still on the 10th October cruise on the Navigator. We have not seen you for ages on roll call. We wondered if you had cancelled.

Have you registered for Meet & Mingle. We now have over 25 but the more the merrier so please join in

eskiemomo
September 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
hi English yes we are still on the Navigator for October 10th!

I haven't visited the board for a while. I can't wait for the vacation! How do I sign up for the meet and mingle?

p.s thank you for all the good tips on Euros!

robinpow
September 20th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Everyone has pretty much covered your question, however I can address the ATM card issue.

Most ATM cards will work in Europe and is one of the safest and cheapest ways to get your Euro.
There are a few ATM cards that won't work in the machines, if you have one of these all you have to do, is walk into any bank, show your passport and they will manually do the transaction.

I had a co-worker with me overseas, who had an ATM from a small bank that didn't work overseas. He did this several times.

My card had problems in Asia and I did the same thing.

tomko2
September 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
We took 700 Euros last summer (trip totalled 18 nights) and replenished at ATM in Rhodes (200 Euros). One tip would be to ask your bank for some bills in small denominations; this may require a few trips to the bank as they don't have small bills on hand all the time.
Kathy:)

summer66
September 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
ATMs give you the same rate they give the major banks - always the best deal! We' ve been living and or traveling in Europe since ATMs came on the scene and they are a Godsend for exchange rates.
Jane

cruisemom42
September 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Trust me, you won't waste time searching for ATMs. They are literally everywhere, just like in the US. Walk down any commercial street where there are shops and restaurants, and within a couple of blocks I bet you will locate one, if not more.....

English_in_Spain
September 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
hi English yes we are still on the Navigator for October 10th!

I haven't visited the board for a while. I can't wait for the vacation! How do I sign up for the meet and mingle?

p.s thank you for all the good tips on Euros!

Rather than discuss it here I will leave a message for you on the roll call thread.

cruiseryyc
September 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
While everyone says there is no trouble finding ATM's - I'm like the OP, I didn't want to waste time in port looking for a machine. I bought 600 Euro's from an exchange bureau at home. We used only ship's tours so didn't have to worry about paying tour guides, just tips. Have a wonderful cruise

marci22
September 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
While everyone says there is no trouble finding ATM's - I'm like the OP, I didn't want to waste time in port looking for a machine. I bought 600 Euro's from an exchange bureau at home. We used only ship's tours so didn't have to worry about paying tour guides, just tips. Have a wonderful cruise

I guess the point we are trying to make is that there is no time wasted, as ATM's are everywhere. When you get off the ship, ATMs. Off the plane, ATMs. In town, ATMs. The only place you might not be able to find one easily is, for example, if you are on the side of a mountain on the Amalfi coast, if you are en route to Ephesus right in the middle of the highway, if you are in someone's vineyard in Tuscany. If you are not in any of those places, you will find an ATM!

travelbig
September 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Wells Fargo will Fed-Ex your order next day delivery.

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/cfx/faqs#1

cruisemom42
September 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Wells Fargo will Fed-Ex your order next day delivery.

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/cfx/faqs#1

After just looking at the Wells Fargo site, it appears their current rate of exchange for today is 1.49, while the bank rate is 1.44, which ATMs usually give.

So to obtain 500 euros, you'd pay $745 through Wells Fargo, plus an $8 shipping fee.

To obtain 500 euros from your ATM, you'd pay $720 plus whatever ATM fee your bank may charge (some charge $2 to $3 per transaction).

For the peace of mind of having the money, I suppose a $30 difference isn't much in the scheme of things. But for 1,000 euros that becomes $60 and so on....

KT32
September 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I bring about 100 per adult. Then use the ATM's as needed. Even though I've never had a problem, I'm always cautious and aware that others have. I'd hate to order 500 or 1000 euros and lose it all early on. The transaction fee is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. And, there are so many things to do that don't cost tons of money that usually lasts me a while.

agabbymama
September 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
[quote=agabbymama;16329083]eskiemomo

[quote]

Even the ATM's were closed? Was this a land vacation? I think that is different from a cruise holiday, where you always have the ship's convenient (although expensive) backup exchange.

btw I called my cc company in advance to let them know I would be using my Capital One in Europe, but it was still rejected at a merchant. When I called in, they said they had no information that I would be traveling in Greece. Huh?? So double check with your credit cards. (I had a backup cc, just in case. Same with debit card)

Yes, this was a land vacation, and as I stated earlier, my debit card from my bank does not work in Europe, so ATMs were no good to me.

And while the ship may exchange some funds, I can't see them doing so for the 2800 folks on board.

I would rather pay the fees and know I have the money before leaving home. But that's just my opinion. It used to be fun to get the foreign currency for each country visited, but now the EURO looks like monoply money.

There are many different ways for people to exchange currency, and each has to decide which is best for them.

marci22
September 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
[quote=marci22;16329517][quote=agabbymama;16329083]eskiemomo

Yes, this was a land vacation, and as I stated earlier, my debit card from my bank does not work in Europe, so ATMs were no good to me.

And while the ship may exchange some funds, I can't see them doing so for the 2800 folks on board.

I would rather pay the fees and know I have the money before leaving home. But that's just my opinion. It used to be fun to get the foreign currency for each country visited, but now the EURO looks like monoply money.

There are many different ways for people to exchange currency, and each has to decide which is best for them.

I agree, people should do what works for them. People often post that they fear not finding an ATM handy; I am saying that on our 12 night med, we found ATMs easily, in every port. I'm sure people would like to know that.

I am making the point that on a cruise ship, one does have a backup exchange facility available, in case they arrive at an airport, or a town, where no ATMS can be found, or are not operational. As you were on a land vacation, you didn't have this option, so that would be something to think about on a land vacation.

btw I don't understand your comment about exchanging funds "for the 2800 folks onboard".

robinpow
September 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
How I'm doing it... this time

Ran a quick spread sheet to get a rough idea how much cash I'll need.

Since I'm flying through Amsterdam (as many of us will), I'll pick up my Euro at their ATM. BTW, I've literally spent months at the Amsterdam airport, they have have several ATMs as well as a currency exchange booth that you can access without crossing the security line.

I'll pick up my Turkish Lira at the ATM in Turkey, and a small amount of Egyptian Pounds at a local exchange booth. From what I've been reading, many of the shops in the tourist areas in Egypt accept euros, American dollars, and pounds.

Don't forget to bring/buy enough small bills for tips, cokes/coffee, and photos of locals. While you can often tip in foreign currency, it must be paper and not coin. On one of my past trips, a porter asked me if I could exchange some 2 Euro coins for him. While the tip had been more than enough value wise, it was worthless... sense most money exchangers only accept bills.

One last reminder, don't forget to call your bank and credit card companies!!! You may trip a fraud alert if you don't, and they will freeze your card until to call them to verify charges.

Also for any newbees, Discover Card is worthless. Only country I've found it works in other than the U.S. is Costa Rica. However NCL does accept Discover. Visa is the most common, accepted card with Mastercard a close second. Major stores many time will accept American Express, but smaller ones often don't because of the expense. Not sure about the locations we are going to, but in many countries you need to show your passport, or at least a copy of it to use your credit card. Another reason to have a couple of photocopies of your passport with you.

agabbymama
September 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
[quote=agabbymama;16379676][quote=marci22;16329517]

I agree, people should do what works for them. People often post that they fear not finding an ATM handy; I am saying that on our 12 night med, we found ATMs easily, in every port. I'm sure people would like to know that.

I am making the point that on a cruise ship, one does have a backup exchange facility available, in case they arrive at an airport, or a town, where no ATMS can be found, or are not operational. As you were on a land vacation, you didn't have this option, so that would be something to think about on a land vacation.

btw I don't understand your comment about exchanging funds "for the 2800 folks onboard".

If all 2800 folks onboard waited to get their cash, relying on the ship to do the exchange, I don't believe the cashier would have that kind of EURO cash on-board.

hcat
September 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I got Euros before I left. I didn't want the hassle of searching for an ATM. Just my luck there would not be one when I needed it. Ordered them online through my bank and had them delivered to my local branch. Got a better rate than my friends did. I did have to get more euros while on the cruise but I just used the ship's ATM and then had the Guest Relations desk convert to Euros for me. When I got home what I didn't use I took back to the bank. Turns out of the $200 (+$6 fee) I only used about $55 of it.

What bank did you use? We got them from BOA & used our BOA card--big mistake becuase we had a balance on it...it is treated as a cash advance--did not know that & then when we got home they raised the cash advance fee to 21 per cent. Needless to say we won't be doing that again..

Can any bank order them or just commercial ones?

agabbymama
September 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
What bank did you use? We got them from BOA & used our BOA card--big mistake becuase we had a balance on it...it is treated as a cash advance--did not know that & then when we got home they raised the cash advance fee to 21 per cent. Needless to say we won't be doing that again..

Not all banks deal in foreign currency. My Federal Credit Union would sell me travelers checks, but no foreign currency. I have a savings at Washington Mutual and was told they couldn't get me EUROs. I have my checking at Banco Popular and they said they don't deal in foreign currency at all.

The only ones I know for sure are Bank of America and Citibank, and I don't have accounts at either one. You just have to ask at your bank.

cruisemom42
September 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
[quote=marci22;16380004][quote=agabbymama;16379676]

If all 2800 folks onboard waited to get their cash, relying on the ship to do the exchange, I don't believe the cashier would have that kind of EURO cash on-board.

Princess certainly advertises this service. From their website: "The Passenger Services/Purser's Desk in the ship's lobby is the place to cash traveler's checks, buy stamps, ask questions, settle your shipboard account and check Lost and Found."

And also, "For your convenience, Automated Teller Machines for the exchange of foreign currencies are available on vessels sailing out of European ports and on selected exotic itineraries. Please visit the Passenger Services/Purser's Desk for more information."

I don't think they'd advertise it if they weren't able to offer the service. :cool:

grandma13
September 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Keith

We are planning to bring about $400 in euros with us and use the ATM for the rest. I recently read that the Plus system ATMs are hard to find in Italy, and wouldn't you know, that's what we have on both our ATM cards (from separate banks.) Does anyone know whether this is true?

Nancy, sailing on Carnival Freedom Oct. 13

whogo
September 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM
We are planning to bring about $400 in euros with us and use the ATM for the rest. I recently read that the Plus system ATMs are hard to find in Italy, and wouldn't you know, that's what we have on both our ATM cards (from separate banks.) Does anyone know whether this is true?

Nancy, sailing on Carnival Freedom Oct. 13Plus is the Visa network. You will find Plus/Visa ATM's all over Italy. http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

janellmartin
September 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
We never get Euros before leaving. As soon as we get off the plane we find an ATM, and just use ATMs throughtout our trips. NEVER have we spent a spare minute looking for ATMs, they are everywhere, including Italy. Call your bank before you leave to let them know which countries you'll be visiting. My husband and I carry debit cards from 2 separate accounts so that if a machine ever eats a card or there is a problem with one account, we have a backup.

CintiPam
September 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Plus system ATM's are everywhere in Europe, including Istanbul.

CathyCruises
September 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
It is hard for me to believe some banks' ATM cards don't work in Europe! I live (and bank) in the smallest of places--population of my town 242--and MY card works everywhere! I didn't know there even WERE banks smaller than mine. Are you guys sure your cards won't work if you notify your bank ahead of time?

Cathy

agabbymama
September 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
It is hard for me to believe some banks' ATM cards don't work in Europe! I live (and bank) in the smallest of places--population of my town 242--and MY card works everywhere! I didn't know there even WERE banks smaller than mine. Are you guys sure your cards won't work if you notify your bank ahead of time?

Cathy

I can only rely on what the bank is telling me. I asked them about getting me foreign currency and was told they don't deal in foreign currency and would not be able to get me any EUROs. I then asked to be sure my pin would work in Europe, and was told NO, my debit card was only good in the U.S. Maybe they don't want to bother with the foreign conversion, I don't really know the reason. And the credit union told me virtually the same thing.

I'm not sure they won't work, but after them telling me they wouldn't, I'm not willing to take the chance of losing my card in an ATM in Europe.

CathyCruises
September 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Wow! Well you absolutely have to believe them and not take any chances. I guess I get better service than I gave my bank credit for--they even said they could "get me" Euros but it would take 10 days! I have to start saying nicer things about them.

SO good that you checked first--enjoy your cruise.

Cathy

gatour
January 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM

For others, if you have a Bank of America checking/savings account etc, you don't have to get a cash advance on your credit card. Provided you have the funds in your checking/saving's accounts to cover how much foreign currency to buy. Also at certain about you are not charged an additional fee.

NHRedSoxFan
January 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The last two times we went to Europe, there was only one occasion when I tried to use an ATM (in Venice). It didn't work because the machine was out of cash.

When you use your ATM or credit cards you'll pay the ATM fee plus your bank will charge you a currency conversion fee between 1 & 3 %.

madmarti
January 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
:confused:We have some private tours planned for our cruise, next June 13 to Italy and Croatia. I can figure out the cost of the excursions in euros but I need a ballpark figure to take for tips, food, etc. Help!! madmarti

Adventures ahead
January 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
As explained by my bank (in 2000), some ATMs would only accept PINs of a certain length. I have a four-digit PIN so it worked fine. I was told that if I had a card that had a five-digit PIN, it may not work in Europe, so it had nothing to do with the size of the bank. If I remember correctly, and often don't, some banks were 'commercial' and didn't deal with personal accounts.

We took a bus tour to several countries and only had a problem in France. We tried three machines before we could access our account. The ATM at the French bank did not work for us and their Security guy wouldn't allow me inside as I wasn't a 'customer'! Vive la difference! I went to a grocery store on the next corner and, viola! No prob, so made a dash with the cash.

I'm sure that things have changed over the years, but that's my 2000 story.

frogfuzz
January 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Still debating Euro exchange;

I understand not loading up on cash/euro, pickpocket lost etc. but :
In ATM fees & exchange charges of 1% my bank will charge me for atm use would it be cost effective to use atm solely?

If I rely on Atm's for myself & hubs worried about minimum alllowed per day not enough for tours etc..As we will be doing private tours.

Do private tours and small shops who do not accept credit cards accept travelers checks? I see no mention of travelers checks as accepted payment on tour websites.

Does anyone know if Carnival has ATM supplied with Euros?

I intend to use Capital one cc as much as possible (to gain points for next crusie:) But have a feeling most places we will be going do not accept cc's

NHRedSoxFan
January 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
ATM's won't accept pins starting with zero. At least that's how it was two years ago.

I would bring 200 Euros per day for a couple. That's about what we brought before and we didn't have any trouble spending it.

lisiamc
January 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Do private tours and small shops who do not accept credit cards accept travelers checks? I see no mention of travelers checks as accepted payment on tour websites.

Traveler's checks (in Euros or USD) are very difficult to cash in Europe these days. If you can find a place to cash them, they will charge a hefty fee for the priviledge. We last tried them about five years ago - never again! I have heard of a few tour companies that will take them, but not very many.

Lisa

CathyCruises
January 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM

In ATM fees & exchange charges of 1% my bank will charge me for atm use would it be cost effective to use atm solely?

If I rely on Atm's for myself & hubs worried about minimum alllowed per day not enough for tours etc..As we will be doing private tours.

I intend to use Capital one cc as much as possible (to gain points for next crusie:) But have a feeling most places we will be going do not accept cc's

We could easily get 300 euros at a time, which was plenty for us at least. And everywhere took credit cards, just some shops had a minimum (like 25-30 euros).

You can also change money on board but the exchange rate sucks; and the ATM on Celebrity only gave dollars and charged a hefty fee for doing so.

We bought 500 euros in advance from Wells Fargo ($10 delivery charge and you do not have to have an account with them) and then just used ATM's the remainder of our 14 day cruise with no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

whogo
January 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM

The 1% your ATM card charges will be excellent, almost as good as the 0% on your Capital One credit card. Charging as much as possible is an excellent idea.

Covering expensive private tours can be a challenge. Cheapest route would be to withdraw your maximum every day and your husband's every day (assuming separate accounts) and save for the tours. Carnival is unlikely to have euros in an ATM, but cruise ships will convert currency for a fee. Costs were an acceptable 5% on my 2007 Legend of the Seas cruise. I doubt that Carnival would tell you their planned markup.

Check with the tour operators to see if they will accept traveler's checks. Many people qualify for free traveler's checks from their bank. Foreign denominated traveler's checks will be marked up over 5% in my experience.

agabbymama
January 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
eskiemomo,

I responded earlier about my ATM card and bank problems getting EURO ahead of time or waiting until you get there. I hadn't taken my cruise yet, so had no info on amount to take. I have since returned from our 12 cruise + 8 day land trip to Europe.

I had put hotels, airfare, tours on my credit card here well before the trip. So the cash I'm talking about is mostly for food, transportation and souvenirs. I took 1600 EUR and still put another $1000 on my credit card. And that is for 1 person. I did spend about $500 on souvenirs, so we're talking around 2000 EUR pp for food, drinks, taxi's etc. for the 3 weeks.