PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store in Progresso

jgmpuma
November 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Has anyone found one? We like to poke around and see what there is that we don't see at home, like spices.

clackey
November 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Has anyone found one? We like to poke around and see what there is that we don't see at home, like spices.
There are all kinds of small shops at the market near the bus stop. If you like to prowl shops you need to walk back a few blocks away from the tourist traps and shop with the locals.

hdawson
November 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Clackey is the one that learned, that in the market, eggs are sold by the pound rather than the dozen. I agree, exploring the markets is interesting.

YucatanToday
November 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Take the free shuttle from the shop to the Casa de Cultura. Walk south (away from the beach) on Calle 80. On the right hand side, you'll see San Francisco supermarket. It's about half a block north of the town square, between Calle 29 and Calle 31. See our map of Progreso here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/maps/eng-progreso-map.htm

jgmpuma
November 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your responses, and especially the map.

jgmpuma
November 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yucatan:

One more question - does the supermarket take dollars, or should I convert for some pesos?

YucatanToday
November 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think you should use pesos at San Francisco. There is an HSBC bank right across the street.

jgmpuma
November 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks again.

hdawson
November 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Like most foreign ports, carry small denominations of US currency to avoid carrying lots of local currencies back home. Also in Mexico, make sure your US bills are in near perfect condition. No tears in the bills.

hdawson
November 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Looks like SPAM to me.