PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai

Miss Jolly
January 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
We will arrive on Diamond Princess in April and will take the ship's shuttle bus into Shanghai which will take about an hour and drop us off at the Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall.
We wish to see Shanghai independently. From reading lots of posts, our points of interest seem to be (in no particular order)The Skyscrapers in Pudong, The Bund, Yuyuan Gardens & Shopping Centre, Nanking Road (have to get some pearls), markets on HuiHai Rd and the CD cafe across from the Hilton. The highlight will be a ride on the Maga Lev train out to the airpost and back.
I would value thoughts, advice, instructions/directions for these ideas please. Thank you.:)

Aussie Gal
January 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I am just wondering how you are going to fit everything in that you want to see in a day.

I know that we are planning to go on the train during our second day in Shanghai and I also believe that the Skyscraper in Pudong is on the other side of the river which we may be able to fit in on that day.

We are doing a sightseeing tour with a private guide the first day and we plan to visit the Yuan Garden, the Tea House, Antique Market, The Bund, then lunch and in the afternoon the Shanghai Museum or Jade Buddah Temple and finally the Fish and Bird Market.

Good luck with your plans.

Jennie

Miss Jolly
January 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you.

Sandy R
January 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
In 2006, we were on the Sapphire for 2 days in Shanghai. First day, we booked a private tour... excellent! Second day, we took the ship shuttle into Shanghai and were dropped off at the Julong Silk and Crafts Hall.

One bit of advice... be sure to take the card they pass out on the bus, with the address of Julong. Taxi drivers speak little English and many don't read. Getting back to Julong was a true test for ourselves... and our taxi driver.

Most, if not all the sites you mention, won't be within walking distance of Julong... which will require you to communicate with a taxi driver, explaining where you want to go. That could be a real headache. IMHO, book a private tour, which will probably cover most of the places on your list.

Sandy

chipmaster
January 22nd, 2009, 02:46 AM
We will arrive on Diamond Princess in April and will take the ship's shuttle bus into Shanghai which will take about an hour and drop us off at the Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall.
We wish to see Shanghai independently. From reading lots of posts, our points of interest seem to be (in no particular order)The Skyscrapers in Pudong, The Bund, Yuyuan Gardens & Shopping Centre, Nanking Road (have to get some pearls), markets on HuiHai Rd and the CD cafe across from the Hilton. The highlight will be a ride on the Maga Lev train out to the airpost and back.
I would value thoughts, advice, instructions/directions for these ideas please. Thank you.:)

I have never done Shanghai by tour from ship but visited on business and vacation several times. I agree with the OP that if you hope to hit everything on your list you won't be able to spend much time at any and traffic will have to be perfect for you.

Taxis are very cheap, but like the other people noted address must be in Chinese. I've had drivers that had difficulty with an english map, even pointing to a place on the map. A map with english/chinese is a must for taxis or the address in chinese! Traffic is simply horrible, plan lots of time to get from place to place. During rush hours in some place flagging a taxi could take some time as everyone will be taken so if you plan to go by taxi from place to place consider that as well in your travel timing.

Yuyuan is worth a visit!! Shanghai 101, currently the highest place you can go is also very cool. You can walk on a see thru floor at the top. Its really awesome on a clear day, unfortunantly there are few days like that there. The Bund is also beautiful but in my three visits the view has been dreadful due haze/ polution. I've attached a few pictures of what you might get on most days.

I'm not sure what kind of shopping you are looking for. The infamous knock offs or the high end shopping. The former is harder to find these days. You can find it but not openingly anymore. All the brick and mortar vendors don't sell anything pirated openly. The high end stuff is very expensive as the upper class is really really rich here.

I've heard the Maga Lev is worth it, pricey but the experience of seeing the two trains coming at each other is an experience. I never found time to get out that way without being on the rush to the airport to actually catch a flight :mad:

Enjoy Shanghai, as it is the most modern, exciting, and dynamic city on earth at the moment!

Miss Jolly
January 22nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thank you both for your advice. Do you think if I showed piictures of our destinations to the taxi driver it would be enough to get us there? (In case I can't find the Chinese writing)

chipmaster
January 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thank you both for your advice. Do you think if I showed piictures of our destinations to the taxi driver it would be enough to get us there? (In case I can't find the Chinese writing)

For places like Bund, Old China town, Shanghai 101 or the garden I would think yes, between that and the map I think you should be good. Before every port Princess in Europe would have tour expert, I'd think those info sessions would have maps and things in chinese or be able to point you to where you can get it with 100% confidence.

have fun!

amusea
January 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
The Bund really needs to be seen after dark when all the buildings are lit.
If you arrive at the Bund at the Nanking intersection you will see that there is a stairway down at the river which goes to the little train that transports you to the other side of the river. The tunnel is lit with many kinds of psychedelic lights. Quite a happy ride of about five minutes.
I was in Shanghai last year and took the Maglev to the airport and back. It certainly is unique but when it gets to very high speeds the train really rocks back and forth even though it isn't on tracks.
Our ship also docked outside the downtown area also but luckily the traffic was quite light that day and the trip only took about 35 minutes to the Exhibition Hall. But this is not usually the case. The main museum is also quite wonderful but I don't think you have enough time. If you don't have time to tour the Yuyuan Gardens you can still go the shopping area outside the entrance without paying a fee.
Just hope for a clear day which will make the city so much more appealing.

Miss Jolly
January 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Thank you again for the ongoing advice.
jen

Ms Understood
January 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Amusea, How long was the round trip MagLev? we are disemabarking in Shanghai and we are hoping to have enuf time to ride it R/T before having to fly home. Our plan is to self debark so we can get off quickly, have a car waiting to take us to the airport and then ride the MagLev and get back in time for a noon flight. Can it be done?
-----------------
Helen

Bufrenee
January 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
You should have enough time to do that. The ride itself one way is about ten minutes. There is really nothing to see at the end of the line. I would allow one hour for this trip as there will be a wait for the return journey.
Have fun, it's quite an experience.

Bufrenee
January 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
When you get a cab, and if you do not have any chinese characters just tell him to take you to YU YUAN. after you have explored the area, cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, you will then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND which is called WAI TAN in chinese if you happen to want to grab a cab there. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutesw away.
Hope this helps.

Ms Understood
January 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
[quote=Bufrenee;17848118]You should have enough time to do that.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear!
-----------------------
Helen

Miss Jolly
January 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutesw away.

Is that 20 minutes walk or by another taxi?
Thanks for the great information.
Jen

Bufrenee
January 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
It's a 20 minutes walk from the tower. The other item which I forgot to mention is that when you recross the river Nanjing Road starts right opposite the station and if you walk right through Nanjing Rd. for about 2 miles you get into Hui Hai Rd. after you pass the Raddison Hotel. If you are a good walker you should be able to cover that whole area in a day. Make sure that you get a card with the name in Chinese for the the return shuttle service. I would suggest that you start with a cab to YuYuan,then walk to the Bund, Cross over to Pudong, then recross and walk Nanjing Rd. till you want to stop and then cab back to the shuttle. Nanjing Rd. by the way for the Cab is NANJING LU.
Enjoy!!! If you need any more directions let me know. I Lived there on business for 9 months in case you are wondering.
Steve

Miss Jolly
January 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
It's a 20 minutes walk from the tower. The other item which I forgot to mention is that when you recross the river Nanjing Road starts right opposite the station and if you walk right through Nanjing Rd. for about 2 miles you get into Hui Hai Rd. after you pass the Raddison Hotel. If you are a good walker you should be able to cover that whole area in a day. Make sure that you get a card with the name in Chinese for the the return shuttle service. I would suggest that you start with a cab to YuYuan,then walk to the Bund, Cross over to Pudong, then recross and walk Nanjing Rd. till you want to stop and then cab back to the shuttle. Nanjing Rd. by the way for the Cab is NANJING LU.
Enjoy!!! If you need any more directions let me know. I Lived there on business for 9 months in case you are wondering.
Steve
Thanks for your help Steve and your kind offer to give further help.
We are due to arrive on Diamond Princess at 7:00am and leave again at 6pm. Could you look at my original post and PLEASE give exact plans for us to follow. When we tour independently, we like to plan to get back to the ship 2 hours early just to allow for transport problems.

Bufrenee
January 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I still think you can do that, but skip HuiHai and when you get to the Raddison, People's Park is directly opposite the Hotel, That is where the Museum is. You should get into town by 9.00 am. Go directly to Yu Yuan, The surrounding area is nice and you don't really have to get into the Garden which will take about an hour and not much unless you are into Chinese Gardens. The Bund and Pudong should take about 2 hours then Nanjing Road. Stick around that area and you will see plenty if you walk. The shops don't open till around 10.00 anyways.
Steve

Miss Jolly
January 26th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hi,
I still think you can do that, but skip HuiHai and when you get to the Raddison, People's Park is directly opposite the Hotel, That is where the Museum is. You should get into town by 9.00 am. Go directly to Yu Yuan, The surrounding area is nice and you don't really have to get into the Garden which will take about an hour and not much unless you are into Chinese Gardens. The Bund and Pudong should take about 2 hours then Nanjing Road. Stick around that area and you will see plenty if you walk. The shops don't open till around 10.00 anyways.
Steve

Hi Steve. Thank you for your help. I am going to make a plan here and I would like you to correct any errors that you see and answer my questions that I have put in red text please please.:)As I work it, we have about 6 hours actually max. to spend exploring Shanghai. I have just calculated it all and I do not think that we have time to do it all. Perhaps we leave out the Hui Hai markets and the CD cafe? Again, I need your thoughts on this or of course anyone elses:p

We really want to catch the Mage lev train roundtrip so do you think that we should make this the absolute first thing to do? I am worried that we will get caught up shopping somehwere or enjoying the parks and run out of time for the train ride. If so, how and where do we catch this from please.

This is my plan that does not include the Magalev Train because I did not know where to slot it - but we are very keen to ride it.

1. (8am)Take ship's shuttle to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall (arrive by 9am)
2. At Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall, take 20 minute taxi ride to Yu Yuan and explore park and shops (1 hour if I can get out of the shops;))
3. Cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND.Pardon my ignorance. but do we get a view of Pudong from The Bund?
4. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutes walk away.Which way do we walk to get to 101 please? (2hours)

5. After 101 how do we get to Nanjing Rd please?

6. How and when do we get to the markets at Hui Hai Rd or do you think Nanjing Rd alone will have enough shopping? We need pearls and copy type things like bags. Would love to get one of those Mao watches for a friend.

7. How and when do we get to the CD cafe near the Hilton hotel please?

8. How do we get back to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall for our shuttle. I would like to get back to the exhibition hall by about 3pm to allow for mishaps please.

Miss Jolly
January 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I have read that shopping for pearls was best along Nanking Road and the area around Yu Yuan garden. Is Yu Yuan actually on Nanjing Rd?

Bufrenee
January 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Steve. Thank you for your help. I am going to make a plan here and I would like you to correct any errors that you see and answer my questions that I have put in red text please please.:)As I work it, we have about 6 hours actually max. to spend exploring Shanghai. I have just calculated it all and I do not think that we have time to do it all. Perhaps we leave out the Hui Hai markets and the CD cafe? Again, I need your thoughts on this or of course anyone elses:p

We really want to catch the Mage lev train roundtrip so do you think that we should make this the absolute first thing to do? I am worried that we will get caught up shopping somehwere or enjoying the parks and run out of time for the train ride. If so, how and where do we catch this from please.

This is my plan that does not include the Magalev Train because I did not know where to slot it - but we are very keen to ride it.

1. (8am)Take ship's shuttle to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall (arrive by 9am)
2. At Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall, take 20 minute taxi ride to Yu Yuan and explore park and shops (1 hour if I can get out of the shops;))
3. Cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND.Pardon my ignorance. but do we get a view of Pudong from The Bund?
4. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutes walk away.Which way do we walk to get to 101 please? (2hours)

5. After 101 how do we get to Nanjing Rd please?

6. How and when do we get to the markets at Hui Hai Rd or do you think Nanjing Rd alone will have enough shopping? We need pearls and copy type things like bags. Would love to get one of those Mao watches for a friend.

7. How and when do we get to the CD cafe near the Hilton hotel please?

8. How do we get back to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall for our shuttle. I would like to get back to the exhibition hall by about 3pm to allow for mishaps please.

1. You can get a cab to the Maglev stn. which is on the Pudong side. I would say about 20 minutes from 101. Get the train return to and from airport, I would think that this will take about 40 minutes.
2. Yes you can see Pudong from the Bund.
3. 101 is on the right of the Pearl Tower looking from the Bund side, right next to The second highest building and highest hotel Hyatt.
4. on the original plan you recross the river by the tourist tunnel train and you are right opposite Nanjing Road.
5. Pearls are best at YuYuan Offer 1/2 the price and settle for 2/3.Copy things are also best there with the Mao Watches. again same principle for bargaining. Forget about Hui Hai all high end.
Forget about CD cafe.
6. Return to shuttle by Cab.
You could gey to Yuyuan first. Walk along the Bund and NanJing Rd. up to People's Square. Walk back to Nanjong Road to the Bund, get across on the tourist train to Pearl Tower. Get to 101, then Cab to Maglev Stn. Do the R/T and get a cab from Stn to Shuttle. which will give you a bit more time. Pudong and the Maglev will take you about 2 hours so you can judge from there how long you can spend at YuYuan and Nanjing Rd.
Steve

PrincessRobbo
January 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hi Steve

Could you tell me how much the return journey on the Maglev train costs.

Lynda

Bufrenee
January 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hi,
I don't remember what the R/T journey cost is but the last time I was on it one way it was 50CNY one way. The station from Pudong is a bit out of the way and it is called Pudong Long Yang Station. The one way trip is 8 minutes and 19 miles. I would estimate 1/2 hr. at most for the return trip.
Hope this helps.

Miss Jolly
January 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
1. You can get a cab to the Maglev stn. which is on the Pudong side. I would say about 20 minutes from 101. Get the train return to and from airport, I would think that this will take about 40 minutes.
2. Yes you can see Pudong from the Bund.
3. 101 is on the right of the Pearl Tower looking from the Bund side, right next to The second highest building and highest hotel Hyatt.
4. on the original plan you recross the river by the tourist tunnel train and you are right opposite Nanjing Road.
5. Pearls are best at YuYuan Offer 1/2 the price and settle for 2/3.Copy things are also best there with the Mao Watches. again same principle for bargaining. Forget about Hui Hai all high end.
Forget about CD cafe.
6. Return to shuttle by Cab.
You could gey to Yuyuan first. Walk along the Bund and NanJing Rd. up to People's Square. Walk back to Nanjong Road to the Bund, get across on the tourist train to Pearl Tower. Get to 101, then Cab to Maglev Stn. Do the R/T and get a cab from Stn to Shuttle. which will give you a bit more time. Pudong and the Maglev will take you about 2 hours so you can judge from there how long you can spend at YuYuan and Nanjing Rd.
Steve
Wow! Thanks Steve for your hard work. This is a great help and I know some fellow passengers will also be having a look at this plan! Just curious, would it work if we went straight to the train first from the ship's shuttle drop off point?:confused:

Bufrenee
January 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hi,
Just checked again with the maps,there is a metro line 2 that goes to the Maglev Station. It leaves from near the Hyatt Hotel in the previous tallest building in Shanghai next to 101 and is 6 stops on. Do nyou have the address for the shuttle drop off?
The other thing that I failed to mention is that when you are the first customer when shopping there is a better chance for making a deal as it is bad luck to lose the first customer of the day.
Another thing is that the single fare is 50 RMB and the return is 80.
I do have some maps which I will mark up and try posting after I have them scanned. Hopefully it will work, otherwise I may have to send it by email.
Steve

Aussie Gal
January 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Steve,

Thanks so much for all that wonderful information. We will be on Azamara Quest in a month's time and we have two days in Shanghai plus my DH and myself will be returning for 3 days after we finish our cruise and our tour of China.

I have cut and pasted your posts to take with us.

Jennie

Bufrenee
January 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Steve,

Thanks so much for all that wonderful information. We will be on Azamara Quest in a month's time and we have two days in Shanghai plus my DH and myself will be returning for 3 days after we finish our cruise and our tour of China.

I have cut and pasted your posts to take with us.

Jennie
Here are the maps that I had promised. Hope they come out OK,Let me know if you have any questions.

Miss Jolly
February 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Steve, not sure what happened but I seemed to not have got back to you on all of this. Thanks for the maps. All I know is that the shuttle drops us off at Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall described in another thread as being in the middle of town and with the Chinese name of Waigaoqiao. As we really want to ride the maglev and may actually be all shopped out by then, could you PLEASE devise a plan for us to cover our intended sights but heading to the train first from the Silk Markets? Thanks again for all of your kind assistance.
Jen

Shelly&Jack
February 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
We just finished our N.E. Asia cruise on the Azamara Quest. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we booked two private tours with Dvir Bar-Gal in Shanghai.

The first one was: "Tour of Jewish Shanghai" and the second was: Shanghai from the "Very Old to Very New".

He requires a minimum of 6 people per tour and the cost is 400RMB or about $60 U.S. per person. Both tours last about 4 hours and include admission fees.

He is an Israeli journalist now living in Shanghai. Both tours were excellent and well worth the cost.

Contact him at: www.shanghai-jews.com (http://www.shanghai-jews.com)
He will respond very quickly and does not require a deposit. He will meet you at the pier with a van and driver.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Miss Jolly
February 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, with our falling dollar and other unexpected costs, we have had to forego most of the private tour options and see what we can independently. We need to be able to see Shanghai on our own so we are open to all suggestions re this.

Dorinda
February 19th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Miss Jolly - we used the Shanghai metro. You can have a look at the routes on line. Steve, what do you think - would it be faster for them than a taxi?

Cheers - Dee

Shelly&Jack
February 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
For multiple passengers a taxi may be just as cost affective as the subway. They are very inexpensive and you get do sightseeing as you drive through town. Your dollar (even Australian) we go a long way in China. We also did a lot of walking from the ship to the river front located in the center of town by the Peace Hotel. It takes about 20 minutes.

Two stretch your budget, the key thing I learned on this cruise is to never pay what the street vendors or market vendors ask for. My rule is never pay more than 25% of the asking price. So a 180 Yuan tee shirts should not cost more than 40 Yuan or about $5.50 US. You know you got them when they come running after you as you walk away and they keep lower the price as you walk until they meet your price. Shopping and bargaining was fun in China. (Don't expect the same in Japan.) By the time we got to Beijing I was an expert bargainer. (Or at least I thinks I was. But who knows, they are shrewd business people.)

On the other hand, it was very cold in Beijing and the wool cap I bought from a street vendor in Beijing only cost me 5 yuan (about $.75 US). So even though they had a much needed garment, I still got a bargain.

Miss Jolly
February 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.:)

pae714
February 23rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Just returned from Shanghai cruise stop...it is a LARGE city and if you want to get the most out of one day would suggest hiring a guide. It is not that easy to get around on your own and no one speaks English. We used this group and had a GREAT day...I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Bo Bo and I would request her if possible. We had a private car and private guide and it was very reasonable! Cheaper then a ships tour for the two of us for the day and we saw so much more! Pat

Tansy (Ms)
www.Beijingservice.com (http://www.beijingservice.com/)
Email: tansy@beijingservice.com, Tansy@chinatravelkey.com
MSN: twtansy@hotmail.com
Tel: 008610-87630208/ 51667026, Fax: 008610-87638057/ 51667036
Emergency call: 0086 13661092071 (company)/ 0086 13426098535 (tansy)
Address: No.46, Puhuangyu Road, Beijing, China. Post code: 100078

Aussie Gal
February 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
We are using Beijing Service for our two week private tour in China after our 14 day cruise. We have only heard good things about this company and Tansy who is in charge of all the emails is so easy to work with. We are not only doing Beijing with them but also Xian, Guilin and YangShou.

We are using a private guide that a friend recommended to us for Shanghai. We are looking forward to visiting China, South Korea and Japan.

Jennie

Miss Jolly
February 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Just returned from Shanghai cruise stop...it is a LARGE city and if you want to get the most out of one day would suggest hiring a guide. It is not that easy to get around on your own and no one speaks English. We used this group and had a GREAT day...I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Bo Bo and I would request her if possible. We had a private car and private guide and it was very reasonable! Cheaper then a ships tour for the two of us for the day and we saw so much more! Pat

Tansy (Ms)
www.Beijingservice.com (http://www.beijingservice.com/)
Email: tansy@beijingservice.com, Tansy@chinatravelkey.com
MSN: twtansy@hotmail.com
Tel: 008610-87630208/ 51667026, Fax: 008610-87638057/ 51667036
Emergency call: 0086 13661092071 (company)/ 0086 13426098535 (tansy)
Address: No.46, Puhuangyu Road, Beijing, China. Post code: 100078
How much did your day in Shanghai cost please?

PrincessRobbo
March 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Miss Jolly

We have just returned from our NE Asia cruise and Shanghai was one of our favourite ports of call and to get the most out of it you really need a private guide. The is very weak at the moment but it was still excellent value.
I would reiterate what previous posters have said about Shanghai. It is a large city, the traffic is horrendous and there is a lot of construction work going on as they are hosting Expo 2010. The first night (we docked at 7 pm) we had an early dinner and then went for a walk. We walked to a high rise hotel which had great views over the river, had a drink and then walked to the Bund. We then took a taxi back to the ship. By the time we got back we were covered in mud.We too used Tansy at Beijing service and she hired a local agency. Cost will depend on where you are docked and what you want to see. We were docked on the Bund and our guide and driver met us at the ship.

This was our itinerary as requested by me:
Yuyuan gardens, which is in Chinatown!! We walked over the zig zag bridge and went to the gardens first as it gets crowded later in the day. The Yu Bazaar which is delightful and we had great fun haggling. Dajuling Lu Market.
The Bund and the park.
Lunch (included in the price).
The French concession and then the Duolun Lu Cultural street which is in the former Japanese area. We then went over to Pudong.
We returned to Chinatown and went to the Huxingting tea house for tea (also included in the price). I wanted to buy some tea but the guide took us to a shop which had a theatre on the top floor and the cost was much more reasonable and the people were lovely.
Then as I had requested we went to the shop where they make silk duvets which was very informative and I bought my duvet there for around 38. My pearls (the guide added information to my own research) cost me about 60. The normal strand would have been around 40 but I wanted a longer strand.
The cost for the tour was $100 each but obviously for four of you the cost would be lower pp. The tour lasted about seven and a half hours.

Lobbylin
March 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
The first night (we docked at 7 pm) we had an early dinner and then went for a walk. We walked to a high rise hotel which had great views over the river, had a drink and then walked to the Bund. We then took a taxi back to the ship.

Hi Lynda,

I thought you had 2 full day in Shanghai, yet you refer to docking at 7pm?
Was your ship on time when docking?....

Thanks Linda

micruiser2002
March 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
princessrobbo, Did you buy an actual duvet or a duvet cover? Did they have standard queen, king bed sizes?

PrincessRobbo
March 4th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Linda

I should have known better than to try to be coherent when I was still a bit jet lagged. I walked out of Tesco's today without my shopping and my 'cash back'. Of course we docked at 7 am and we went to one of the water towns with our guide. We went out that night after dinner and then did our city tour the next day.

micruiser - we bought the duvet they also had silk duvet covers. They have all the sizes that you mentioned.

Lynda

Lobbylin
March 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Lynda - hopefully you'll be getting back to UK time by the weekend:rolleyes: I have a big customer presentation 2 days after I get back which I am not looking forward to - jet lag is the only downside of travelling....:(

Shanghai sounds a real highlight which I am very much looking forward to. I have private tours planned for both days with very similar itineraries to you!:)

Linda

samsonmo
March 4th, 2009, 11:33 AM
We just finished our N.E. Asia cruise on the Azamara Quest. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we booked two private tours with Dvir Bar-Gal in Shanghai.

The first one was: "Tour of Jewish Shanghai" and the second was: Shanghai from the "Very Old to Very New".

He requires a minimum of 6 people per tour and the cost is 400RMB or about $60 U.S. per person. Both tours last about 4 hours and include admission fees.

He is an Israeli journalist now living in Shanghai. Both tours were excellent and well worth the cost.

Contact him at: www.shanghai-jews.com (http://www.shanghai-jews.com)
He will respond very quickly and does not require a deposit. He will meet you at the pier with a van and driver.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Shelly & Jack,
Greetings from Amsterdam The Netherlands. We arranged tour of Jewish Shanghai in April when we dock with the Ms Volendam in Shanghai with Dvir. Communciation with him swift and clear. The next day we will visit Shuzou booked thru Tensy of Beijing services.
peter & monica

micruiser2002
March 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
princessrobbo, sorry I should have asked this before, do you know the name of the shop and location where you bought the silk duvet? Thanks.

PrincessRobbo
March 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
The shop was in Chinatown close to the zig zag bridge. On the bag it has the address as 289 Macao Road, Shanghai. I'm sure that all guides know the place - I saw a lot of people from the ship with similar bags. By the way they compress the bags to make them easier to carry.

Lynda

wberthin
March 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Miss Jolly - we used the Shanghai metro. You can have a look at the routes on line. Steve, what do you think - would it be faster for them than a taxi?

Cheers - Dee

Hi Dee, just saw this note. We are in Shanghai along with Jen (Miss Jolly) this May. Question for you, how hard is it to get around on the metro? Do they have any of the signs in English? Any suggestions on what worked well for you and what didn't?

Dorinda
March 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Helen - Hi! The Shanghai metro was easy to use but sometimes involved some walking (underground between stations). It's fast and frequent. Signs are in Chinese and English. There is a pretty big underground market at the Technology metro station. We shopped and had lunch there.

Hope you have a great time! Hi to Wayne.

D and J

SwankPooch
March 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Crystal will dock in Shanghai overnight. How would I be able to catch the hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus in Shangahi if there is any? From what I understand, there will be a complimentary shuttle to a shopping center near the People's Square.
Thanks for all your input!

wberthin
March 6th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Helen - Hi! The Shanghai metro was easy to use but sometimes involved some walking (underground between stations). It's fast and frequent. Signs are in Chinese and English. There is a pretty big underground market at the Technology metro station. We shopped and had lunch there.

Hope you have a great time! Hi to Wayne.

D and J

Thanks Dee! Say hi to John too. Looking forward to the trip, although we are in the middle of buying a house too so things are pretty hectic here. Lorraine and Tom are on the same cruise as us.

anchorage1977
March 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Oh Miss Jolly, wish I were back in Shanghai! We did an overnight call there on Holland America's Statendam last spring and it was spectacular. Being able to dock right across from the Oriental Pearl Tower was stunning.

We also added a day trip out to Suzhou, which I highly recommend to anyone reading along. The gardens there are rightly listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Here's the link to a post I made regarding our experience (with photos). I hope it's of interest to someone.

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/03/shanghai-china-funding-chinas-tomorrow.html

Happy Travels!

Miss Jolly
March 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Thank you for sharing this. It was VERY interesting. Now I am really excited!:D

Bufrenee
March 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hi Jen,
Just got back yesterday.There was a lot of construction in Shanghai at the present time. Suggest that you take the subway when you get off the shuttle, the station is Renmin Guangchang or People's Park which is on the green line which will take you to Zhangjlang which is the end of the line for the Maglev train. You could return on the same train to Lujiazui which will get you to the Pearl Tower on the Pudong side of the river. Look around there and get the Tourist Tunnel Train across the river which will get you to the Bund, turn left when you get out on to the promenade and walk along the Bund till you get to the end where the construction is going on, cross the main road there and you will see a large green and park. cross the park and you will be at the back of Yu Garden. When you leave, backtrack and go back towards the bund. go left at the main road opposite the promenade, up to the Peace hotel which is now shrouded in green, that is where Nanjing Road starts, go up Nanjing Road which will get you back to People's square and the shuttle should be on the other side of Peoples Square going towards the Museum and Theatre.
That should take you about 5 hours but would involve about 6Km. walk.
regards,
Steve

Miss Jolly
March 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks Dee! Say hi to John too. Looking forward to the trip, although we are in the middle of buying a house too so things are pretty hectic here. Lorraine and Tom are on the same cruise as us.
Hi Helen - I did not know that you were buying a house... I have the perfect one just for you;)\
Jen

Miss Jolly
March 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Steve,
This looks great. I shall cut and paste and take it with us. I do appreciate your help very much.
Jen

Bufrenee
March 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
princessrobbo, sorry I should have asked this before, do you know the name of the shop and location where you bought the silk duvet? Thanks.

Hi Micruiser,
Just returned from Shanghai, your best bet is to go to the bedding shop half way down Nanjing Road kitty corner from the square next to the Sofitel Hotel and nabout two shops next to Shanghai Tang.They cost about $60 for King Size and there should be deals to be had at this time of the year. Look for signs like 4-5-6 or 7 which translate to 60-50-40 or 30 % off the price. Crazy huh! we bought a whole load of cashmere sweaters up the road a bit at the Shanghai Department store gr. floor and the prices were listed as 300-300 rmb which translated to buy 300 and get 200 back which in reality is 66% off. They also have a whole load of selections in covers in either silk or cotton and saves the hassle of bargaining which you come off feeling that you still did not get the best deal.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Dorinda
March 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Jen,
Just got back yesterday.There was a lot of construction in Shanghai at the present time. Suggest that you take the subway when you get off the shuttle, the station is Renmin Guangchang or People's Park which is on the green line which will take you to Zhangjlang which is the end of the line for the Maglev train. You could return on the same train to Lujiazui which will get you to the Pearl Tower on the Pudong side of the river. Look around there and get the Tourist Tunnel Train across the river which will get you to the Bund, turn left when you get out on to the promenade and walk along the Bund till you get to the end where the construction is going on, cross the main road there and you will see a large green and park. cross the park and you will be at the back of Yu Garden. When you leave, backtrack and go back towards the bund. go left at the main road opposite the promenade, up to the Peace hotel which is now shrouded in green, that is where Nanjing Road starts, go up Nanjing Road which will get you back to People's square and the shuttle should be on the other side of Peoples Square going towards the Museum and Theatre.
That should take you about 5 hours but would involve about 6Km. walk.
regards,
Steve

Helen and Jen - we did almost the exact same route as Steve. Great directions, Steve! We felt we had really seen a lot and gotten around quickly.

Steve - I think there is ALWAYS a lot of construction going on in Shanghai! It's an amazing city. We are going back next year for a cruise but will stay there a few days before. There's a lot to see.

Cheers! Dee

Miss Jolly
March 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Micruiser,
Just returned from Shanghai, your best bet is to go to the bedding shop half way down Nanjing Road kitty corner from the square next to the Sofitel Hotel and nabout two shops next to Shanghai Tang.They cost about $60 for King Size and there should be deals to be had at this time of the year. Look for signs like 4-5-6 or 7 which translate to 60-50-40 or 30 % off the price. Crazy huh! we bought a whole load of cashmere sweaters up the road a bit at the Shanghai Department store gr. floor and the prices were listed as 300-300 rmb which translated to buy 300 and get 200 back which in reality is 66% off. They also have a whole load of selections in covers in either silk or cotton and saves the hassle of bargaining which you come off feeling that you still did not get the best deal.
Hope this helps.
Steve
So how much were the cashmere sweaters please?

Miss Jolly
March 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Thans Dee - always reassuring to see a plan worked for someone else too:p
Jen

Bufrenee
March 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
They averaged about $50-60 each dependant on design and brand. They have about 15 stalls selling them in one section behind cosmetics.Look out for the numbers, the lower the number the higher the discount.
Steve

brandonjordan
March 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hi, We will be there next January. Would you mind sharing the name of your guide?

Bufrenee
March 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Brandonjordon,
Did not use a guide as I lived there for 9 months 2 years ago. There were three maps that I posted earlier on this thread and suggestions on how to get about. Don't really need a guide there unless you have a lot of time and that also depends on what you want to see. Not too many historical site there like Beijing or Xian and the subway is easy to get about in.

wberthin
March 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Helen - I did not know that you were buying a house... I have the perfect one just for you;)\
Jen

Hi Jen, I think your house would be a little far to commute:). Crazy trying to do these things and plan a trip at the same time isn't it!!

wberthin
March 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Helen and Jen - we did almost the exact same route as Steve. Great directions, Steve! We felt we had really seen a lot and gotten around quickly.

Steve - I think there is ALWAYS a lot of construction going on in Shanghai! It's an amazing city. We are going back next year for a cruise but will stay there a few days before. There's a lot to see.

Cheers! Dee

Thanks so much Dee and Steve, will definitely take this itinerary with.

Miss Jolly
March 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks so much Dee and Steve, will definitely take this itinerary with.
Well at least we will know who the "stalkers" are who are following us around Shanghai:p See you there;)
Jen

Maui Cruiser
March 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
We were in China last summer and all of the hotels have a card they give you with all of the points of interest in english and chinese. You just point to the one you want to go to and the cab driver takes you there. We never had a problem. If there is somewhere you want to go but its not on the card the folks at the hotel would write it out for us. We had a very easy time getting around. You might want to try stopping at a hotel and getting a card from them. Also when you catch a cab near tourist areas sometimes they try to negotiate a price with you for like 200 Yu Won, but if you go around the corner or down the street you would only pay 10 Yu Won to get where ever you were going. That did not happen that much in Shanghi though.

Miss Jolly
March 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
We were in China last summer and all of the hotels have a card they give you with all of the points of interest in english and chinese. You just point to the one you want to go to and the cab driver takes you there. We never had a problem. If there is somewhere you want to go but its not on the card the folks at the hotel would write it out for us. We had a very easy time getting around. You might want to try stopping at a hotel and getting a card from them. Also when you catch a cab near tourist areas sometimes they try to negotiate a price with you for like 200 Yu Won, but if you go around the corner or down the street you would only pay 10 Yu Won to get where ever you were going. That did not happen that much in Shanghi though.
Great idea - thanks:D