I booked it...but am I crazy?

Bruin Steve

First of all, I live in Southern California...

I am booked on the Oasis of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida sailing July 10, 2010...I don't like flying all the way across the country for just 7 nights of cruising...so, for the longest time, I thought of doing a back-to-back on Oasis (they alternate Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises)...but I had been waiting for more schedules to come out to see if there were any other options...

Then...I had an epiphany...

I love the Celebrity M-Class ships, but they have nothing in the Caribbean that time of year (only time we can go--my wife works for a school district)...But, searching the web...Voila! The Celebrity Summit does a 7-night cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ going to Portland, Bar Harbor, St. John and Halifax...

The Oasis disembarks on the morning of July 17 in Fort Lauderdale, the Summit leaves Cape Liberty on July 18...

We can disembark and grab a taxi to Fort Lauderdale Airport, fly to Newark and check into a Newark Airport area hotel...and jump on the Summit...

I know very little about this cruise or these ports...only that we've never been to any of them before--except Newark! We only know it's not another Caribbean cruise--something we've had some overkill on--and back-to-backs there may be a little much...

We know the prime time of year for this area is the Fall...but we can't go in the Fall...Some folks have told us these ports are somewhat boring...Is this cruise pointless? Or are the ports interesting in some way? I am serious...I know nothing about the area...(Well, actually, I was born in New York...have lots of family there...and New Jersey...and Boston...and Vermont...and have been many times to New England--at least the parts between NY and Boston and up to Vermont...but never as far up as to MAine or the Canadian Maritimes...

So, please help me...Tell me why I should follow through with this cruise.

Thanks.

Everyone should visit Maine ... It is beautiful most times of the year. I'm not too sure about winter anymore .... and mud season can be a pain.

The scenery is beautiful with rugged cliffs and lots of trees and rocks. People who used to summer in Maine (Bar Harbor area) were called "rusticators" and it is still rustic, although in the summer it can be wall to wall with people from away.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, there are some very nice people on this board that can give you lots of specific information on this area. Enjoy!! Jan

I can't comment about Portland (we haven't been there), but we have been to Bar Harbor, Saint John (NB) and Halifax. I can't believe anyone would say these ports are boring. There are many places to see and things to do in all these ports whether you are walking the town or taking a tour to sites outside of town. You need to look at shore excursions offered and see if anything appeals to you. Most of these excursions can be booked independently for much less. Also, on CC click on "Ports" and read about all these ports. It's nothing like a Caribbean cruise.

I have always wanted to visit Maine! I am booked on a cruise that will have a stop in St. John, New Brunswick, but we wont be hitting Maine this time around :(. I am looking at a Fall cruise however, that will stop in Boston, Portland, St. John, and Halifax.

I think it really depends on your personality, as far as what you will enjoy. Personally, I MUCH prefer the Northeast/Canada itineraries because I am way more into experiencing things of historical significance than white sandy beaches in the scorching sun. That's just me. I do intend to do a Bermuda or Bahama cruise at some point, but it will definitely be during the late fall/winter months.

You really should do the cruise. I seriously doubt that you will have any regrets about following through!

• 2 years later...

NO YOU ARE NOT CRAZY....

If you are coming all the way from Cali, it would be silly not to take advantage of being here. Especially after the cross country flight... It will take you 3 days for your body to adjust & for you to actually get restful sleep, and RELAX! Who wouldn't want to cruise back to back?

The only thing you will have to keep in mind is that they are two totally different vacations. While the Oasis will provide sea & sun, the New England Itinerary will provide new England Americana & Nature. To me it's the best of both worlds!

I am actually doing the same thing... And I live in NYC! Sailing on the Summit to Bermuda in August with 8 family members, coming back to Bayonne on a Sunday, going home, switching out clothes & leaving on the Carnival Glory just with hubby on Monday to do New England for the first time Myself!

Just be open, don't compare... It's better than being in the office or doing dishes or laundry!!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE-S!!!! :D

We did a 9 Night cruise out of Port Liberty on Explorer .We loved it.Next year we are doing HAL 7 Night Montreal- Boston 2 precruise nights in Montreal and 4 post cruise in Boston.Beautiful part of the Country.A nice change from the hot Fl summer.Make sure you sample the Lobster Rolls.

Archived