PDA

View Full Version : Buying wine in Alaska

tigerdadky
May 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Id love to have a bottle of wine everynite on our cruise and dont want to have to bring it all onboard on embarktation, is there places in Ketchican, Skagway and Juneau where I can buy some wine.

Stout93
May 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
We bought 2 bottles in Ketchikan (our first port). I was a little unsure if they'd let us bring them on board but they saw them and said nothing (Carnival Spirit). We then bought 2 more bottles in Sitka. You'll be able to find a liquor store in Juneau, not sure about Skagway though..

Nothing better than having a few glasses of wine while sitting on your balcony enjoying the sites..

Yukon
May 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You'll be able to find a liquor store in Juneau, not sure about Skagway though.

In Skagway it's right across the street from the National Park Service office.

witz1103
May 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
We bought 2 bottles in Ketchikan (our first port). I was a little unsure if they'd let us bring them on board but they saw them and said nothing (Carnival Spirit). We then bought 2 more bottles in Sitka. You'll be able to find a liquor store in Juneau, not sure about Skagway though..

Nothing better than having a few glasses of wine while sitting on your balcony enjoying the sites..

Did you bring along your own corkscrew too?

Stout93
May 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
No corkscrew. I just used a pen and punched the cork down into the bottle. Got a few little pieces of cork that broke off but just picked them out of our glasses. Not a huge deal, worked for us. Like I said, nothing better than sitting on your balcony with a few glasses of wine before you head out for the night...

lindalo5032
May 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Id love to have a bottle of wine everynite on our cruise and dont want to have to bring it all onboard on embarktation, is there places in Ketchican, Skagway and Juneau where I can buy some wine.

Be aware that if you are on Royal Caribbean, they won't let you bring wine aboard. :(

Putterdude
May 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Nice wine store in Ketchikan is International Wines which is at 108-#5 Salmon Landing...just about 2 blocks from the cruise ships dock.

nocruiser66
May 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
What are the wine prices like in Alaska? BTW, I always travel with a corkscrew. Its lives in my cosmetics bag.

sredish
May 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Be aware that if you are on Royal Caribbean, they won't let you bring wine aboard. :(

Hmmm. This is a bummer. Curious though, do they really "check" - like search a large purse?? Or will they just object if they see you actually holding the bottle?? Never sailed them before but we are sailing June 6th. Princess didn't bother us.

Texas Tillie
May 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hmmm. This is a bummer. Curious though, do they really "check" - like search a large purse?? Or will they just object if they see you actually holding the bottle?? Never sailed them before but we are sailing June 6th. Princess didn't bother us.

The large purse gets x-rayed each time you get back on board. They can "see" it without opening the purse. What they do when they "see" it remains to be seen.:p

witz1103
May 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Balcony and wine just seem to go together! I'm joining you. I'm on Celebrity so we will see what happens.

Terri

Happy2Cruise4Fun
May 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Princess allows you to bring wine on-board. Think sitting on the balcony with a nice bottle as we sail away sounds good. I will hit these shops in each port, thanks for the information.

B&J1
May 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
RCCL takes your wine (or alcohol) & holds it until the end of the cruise :o

sherryf
May 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
BTW, I always travel with a corkscrew. Its lives in my cosmetics bag.

Me too! I even take it camping. I love sitting around a campfire with a paper cup of wine. :cool: