PDA

View Full Version : Scrap or Sell: Cruise Ships Impacted as SOLAS 2010 Approaches

LauraS
June 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Scrap or Sell: Cruise Ships Impacted as SOLAS 2010 Approaches

Read the entire news article... (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3250)

Our Passport Stamps
June 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
I loved reading about the history..

Thanks!

nanfromatlanta
June 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Great article. Thanks Laura.

cruiserbryce
June 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
thanks for sharing. Sad to see some of the old liners go...but the expansion of safety measures is important

Dan Askin
June 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
There does seem to be a small trend toward at least shopping some of these classic ocean liners as possible floating hotels/museums. Not the fate of Regal Empress, of course. QE2 is the most recent example (and Queen Mary prior). And this from Saga Holidays, whose Saga Rose will be retiring from cruise travel later this year:

"Whilst what the future has in store for her in 2010 and beyond is not yet agreed, the option of being a hotel ship is being considered. There are many places across the globe that would benefit from the presence of this beautiful classic liner and no preferred location has yet emerged."

pspercy
June 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
For fans of classic cruise vessels, nothing quite gets the pulse racing like Queen Elizabeth 2 (http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=247). As the world's most famous ocean liner, cruising's grande dame was admired for her sleek silhouette, her powerful grace -- even through the choppiest of Atlantic waters -- and her war-time contributions.

QE2 came online in the late 1960s. She seemed rather puny compared to her predecessors. The original QE was in WW2 and was sold to a Hong Kong entrepreneur but she (conveniently ?) caught fire and had to be scrapped.

I remember as a kid my father taking me to Southampton Docks where the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary and USS United States were all in dock together, a sight never to be forgotten:)

Some years later I was on a friend's boat as we waited outside the harbour for the Queen Mary to depart Cherbourg on the beginning of her final transatlantic crossing.