Southampton to Med (sea days)

Hi:)

We are booked on the Indy leaving southampton for 14nts in July to the med, first port of call is Gibraltar on day 3..

Now, I know there is no guessing what Mother Nature has in store however, from people's past experiences what would you anticipate (weather wise) from the first 2 sea days?

You answered your own question. You know what sort of summer we've had, so who knows! Bay of Biscay can always be a bit iffy, but if your first port is Gib, the captain may stand the ship out into the Atlantic a bit more to avoid the relatively shallow Bay waters. Just hope/pray for nice weather!

Simon

Bay of Biscay is temperamental! But in July you have a good chance of a nice crossing though there is normally always a swell. If the sea conditions are good and the passage plan sticks to crossing the really deep water then there is a good chance of seeing dolphins and whales. My last crossing of the Bay in summer time there was hundreds of dolphins, some large whales some large-ish sharks.

At best, calm like any sea can be. At worst, we had a Force 10 on Canberra (a night when Oriana stayed in Southampton, it was too rough to come out) and the rolling was spectacular. In one bar, the drummer found himself at a stool while his drums were rolling down the room; in another, they couldn't sell spirits because the they couldn't open the cupboard where the spare bottles were kept, there'd been a crash inside and opening the door would cause havoc; at the quiz, the quizmistress and here assistant's chairs were sliding down the floor even thoufg they were sat on them. That was fun.

But I've sailed across it a dozen or so times, and that was the only really bad one. We did have another day where we missed Vigo because we were late getting there, but even then it wasn't lying-down rough. Not for me anyway.

Archived