Banned medication in Dubai

cruiseonly

lilybob:

Thanks for the site. What a long list.

The medication I take for joint pain is on that list.

Still considering if to go on a cruise out of Dubai. Sounds like a very interesting city.

Should you decide to visit, perhaps your doctor could prescribe an alternative medication for the short time that you would be here. I have family in a similar situation and that is what they do when they visit. It is an interesting city as are the neighboring emirates. Visitors sometimes miss the historic and cultural parts and only see the malls and the beach. Happy planning!

lilybob:

Excellent suggestion re medication. I can use a cream that is over the counter.

Bought some books on Dubai and surrounding area. Sounds fascinating.

Thanks again

Besides Burj Khalifa, the Dubai Fountains, Burj al Arab, and the Bastakiya area near the creek in Dubai, a couple of other "must see" things in the UAE are the Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi (quite beautiful and welcoming to all) and the oasis city of Al Ain which is about 1.5 hours from either Dubai or Abu Dhabi. If you have specific interests or questions please ask and I will try to answer.

There's a fair amount of things to keep you busy in Muscat. On everyones list is the Grand Mosque which is quite beautiful, the souk which is actually close to the port gate, the Bait al Zubair Museum, a stroll along the corniche too. If you are there overnight, check out the Royal Opera House. They have a variety of performances ranging from theater, ballet, jazz, dance and opera. They do not put out their schedule very far in advance though and performances sell out quickly but you can purchase online. You might not know what is scheduled until the very beginning of the new year but it is worth it if the timing is right as they have world class performers.

There isn't too much to do in Fujairah as it is an industrial port. You could schedule a half day traditional dhow cruise with a chance to see a lot of dolphins, do a day pass at one of the hotels on the sea, or enjoy the ship.

• 1 month later...

I am confused about medications allowed in Dubai.

I take prescribed medications for blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol plus aspirin and geriatric vitamins.

Should I have problem with Dubai authorities?

wotan-check the link i have in post 4 for medications. blood pressure and cholesterol meds are readily available in the pharmacies here so shouldn't be a problem. Probably the same for diabetes. It is usually pain medication and some cold medicines that have banned ingredients but alternatives can often be found.

• 1 month later...

The medication question is asked time and time again on trip advisor for people planning to visit Dubai.

In short this is what is recommended...

Take your medication in it's original packaging so your name is clearly shown. Take your prescription with you too to prove (if asked) that the medication does belong to you. Take some medication in your hand luggage just in case your suitcase goes astray.

People's imagination seems to run riot when mentioning Dubai and medication and in the main this has been brought about after reading stories which have been highly exaggerated. A lot of the medication that people take are readily available for purchase anyway in the Dubai chemists. Don't read something into it that is not necessary.

I do realise that this is an old post so have put this on here for future reference to stop anyone panicking.

We've been to Dubai many times and have carried out the above and have never even been asked any questions regarding medication. Hubby takes several different tablets.

So original packaging and prescription.

• 4 weeks later...
Besides Burj Khalifa, the Dubai Fountains, Burj al Arab, and the Bastakiya area near the creek in Dubai, a couple of other "must see" things in the UAE are the Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi (quite beautiful and welcoming to all) and the oasis city of Al Ain which is about 1.5 hours from either Dubai or Abu Dhabi. If you have specific interests or questions please ask and I will try to answer.

Looking forward to sharing LOTS cruise with you! What is the best way to see this in the one day our ship will be in port there?

Hi Hokiepoq....looking forward to seeing you on LOTS too. What part of VA are you from? Are permanent home is in Arlington near the the Key Bridge to DC.

What would you like to see in Dubai? Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall, the old Bastakiya area? I believe we are there on a Friday so the early afternoon will still be quiet. The malls are open and the HOHO bus still runs but activity along the creek won't pick up until later in the afternoon. Taxis are cheap and plentiful to get around with and the metro is also an option. Let me know what you want to see and I can make more suggestions.

I should respond on a different thread as this is a drug related one....roll call for our sailing would work

Hi,

I am booked on the upcoming February 2013 Dubai cruise and would like some suggestions on sites for Muscat & Fujairah.

Excited to Go!

Elisa

What date are you sailing in February. Have just booked for 25th Feb 2013 sailing. Will be spending some time prior to and after the cruise with son and family who have been posted to Dubai with his job for 5 years. Am taking this cruise to fulfil a promise to my husband. He passed away recently and it had been his wish to sail from Dubai. Am a little wary about travelling alone for the first time in 45 years but having done 15 cruises already I think I know what to expect! Dubai is a wonderful place - it is not just shopping, shopping (although I did find some bargains in the gold shouk whilst there at Easter). It is fortunate that there will be time to tour Dubai before sailing and also at the end of the cruise according to your flight schedules. I know you will have a great time. Also do not worry too much about the medication side - as other posts have suggested just make sure you get a note from your doctor to verify you need certain medication. I had no trouble at all and I have to take very strong painkillers for osteoarthritis and spondylosis.

Happy planning and hope you enjoy the United Emirates.

Suron in Bristol

Archived