Just off the Explorer of the Seas... any Questions?

Good afternoon all... the wife and I just got home last night from the Explorer of the Seas. We did the Western route (Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman)

Any questions?? I'll try my best to answer them all!!

Andy

We'll be on the explorer in November same itinerary! TELL ALL! TELL ALL! did you do excursions? What type of Cabin we you in? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

Any "explorer" tips? I'll take any info you're willing to give! :D

~lurker

what was belize and costa maya like? Ive never been to those and I was wondering what there is to do there.

thanks!

-erika

Both Belize and Costa Maya are pretty under developed areas (pretty new to the cruising community) I would definately suggest doing a ruins tour at one of the stops there (we did one to Chcacchoben in Costa Maya and I loved it!!) I heard the snorkeling was very nice in Belize as well as the Cave tubing (we did the river tubing/ruins tour, it was only OK because it is currently the dry season and the river was pretty low). Neither port had GREAT shopping as far as I was concerned and both were in very poor areas as soon as you left ther port area. It made me feel very appreciative of what I have here!

Again, they are both just now starting to develop their port areas, so dont come into them with the highest expectations otherwise you might be a little dissapointed.

We'll be on the explorer in November same itinerary! TELL ALL! TELL ALL! did you do excursions? What type of Cabin we you in? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

Any "explorer" tips? I'll take any info you're willing to give! :D

~lurker

As I said above, we did the river tubing/ruins tour in Belize (you should be there in the middle of "wet" season and it would be a lot different/better for you because the water will be higher in the rivers!!! A one hour bus ride to get there and our tour guide was very friendly/knowledgeable about Belize!

Costa Maya we did the Chachoben ruins tour which I loved, you were able to climb some of the ruins (not all the way to the top of any of the tall ones, but you got a pretty good view from some points that you were allowed to get to! Another hour long bus to get there... more good info from our guide along the way.

Cozumel we did the Beach Break through RCCL... I would suggest you do this day on your own. Lots of beaches with plenty of activities. Our group did parasailing for the first time! AWESOME!!!!! so peaceful up there at 300 feet or so!! Beaches were clean, plenty to do. Lots of folks hit Senor Frogs and Carlos & Charlies for partying!! Sounded and felt like they had a blast!

We did the Rays and Reef combo in Grand Cayman. The Snorkeling was ok... you were by a reef and it was all right, not as good as I've done in the Bahamas, but OK. The Stingray City part was very cool. You got to swim with the Stingrays and feed them, though I have heard that other tours you stand on the sandbar and do the same thing. I would have loved that!

We just had an inside cabin (cheap!) Was very clean and our steward had everything we wanted every night! Even took extra care of my wifes foot after she bashed it jumping in the poll after I was in the bellyflop competition!

As far as the food goes... it was all good. The Island grill (back of the Windjammer had an excellent omelette station for breakfeast and good French Fries for lunch. Dinner was outstanding, our waiter Oliver took great care of us.

As far as tips... if you like chocolate Strawberries like my wife does, go to the cigar bar (the Conniseurs club on deck 5) they is always a covered plate of them there!) Get involved in all the activities you want to! Had a blast at Quest and Karaoke! Find out if Anthony is there (they call him Rubber man) One of the best Pool waiters around! The man can LIMBO!!

I will be back to answer more later.......

Andy

We are leaving on March 27th on the Explorer Western Carrib. Did you hear anything about the Canopy tour in Beleze where you are on a zip line from rock to rock and then repell down the side of the rocks? We are deciding between that and the kayak tour and can't seem to make up our minds. How hot was it in Belize when you were there?

Also, what would be a good day to go to the "pay to eat" restaurant? I don't want to book that on a night that was good in the main dining room.

Last question---any shows to avoid or must see?

Thank you so much,

ando3 - welcome home me and my fiancee will be on the explorer in sept for our honeymoon and was wondering how the ship is food entertainment etc. and any pointers on the does and donts this will be our first cruise we will be doing the same western cruise and by the way did you bring any alcohol or wine aboard with you

We are leaving on March 27th on the Explorer Western Carrib. Did you hear anything about the Canopy tour in Beleze where you are on a zip line from rock to rock and then repell down the side of the rocks? We are deciding between that and the kayak tour and can't seem to make up our minds. How hot was it in Belize when you were there?

Also, what would be a good day to go to the "pay to eat" restaurant? I don't want to book that on a night that was good in the main dining room.

Last question---any shows to avoid or must see?

Thank you so much,

Sorry I didnt hear anything about the zip line tour, though I had a neighbor who did that same sort of thing in Venezuela last year and LOVED it. Our day in belize was partly cloudy and about 83 F.

As far as which day to miss the main dining for Portofino's is up to you... there are different "themed" nights. What I would do is ask about the entire weeks menus on the first night and plan around it, we were going to do Portofino's, but the menu there (It never changes throughout the week) didnt appeal to about half of our group of 6 so we just stuck to the main dining room all week.

My wife hit just about every show and she liked them all. I really thought the ice skating show was good. It's pretty odd to see skating in the middle of the Caribbean Sea! The variety dance/singing there was a little below the talent you see in Vegas, but not horrible, in my humble opinion of course!

ando3 - welcome home me and my fiancee will be on the explorer in sept for our honeymoon and was wondering how the ship is food entertainment etc. and any pointers on the does and donts this will be our first cruise we will be doing the same western cruise and by the way did you bring any alcohol or wine aboard with you

We loved the food! A couple people in our party were pretty picky eaters and there was always something for them in the main dining room (Steak or Chicken) that they would choose (why not try new things I always say, if you dont like it, get something else!!) As far as do's and dont's do try to get involved in different things and try to get on the Love and Marriage game show... its a RIOT! We didnt bring any liqour on board with us because then we felt like we'd be running down to the room to get another "shot" of something while we were partying on the pool deck. I guess thats why my entire bill read "Pool bar, solarium bar, schooner bar, pool bar, pool bar, Crown and Kettle, pool bar, etc etc" You'll understand when you get home!!

Have a great time and Congrats!

Is Clo still the cd? She was the cd when I was on the Explorer last August and I found her to be very delightful. I miss the Explorer! It was the best cruise I ever had.

Clo is still there and she was indeed a riot. Her performance in the Love and Marriage show was very good. She always was very quick with the wit and humor. be sure to ask about her "Mum".

I've only been on two (the Majesty and Ex) but I like the Voyager class much better and would definately try one again!!!

Hey Ando... did you go to the meet and mingle? We didnt meet did we? Anyway, we traveled with our 6 year old son.

Belize.. cave tubing with wet and wild was awesome!!! My son was a bit scared at times... especially when we hit the "bottoms up" areas and I was yelling.. Oh no... there goes another piece of my behind!!!!!

Costa Maya... we went to Mahajual. We had a nice time sitting at Tapas with Alan as our waiter. Our son was in and out of the water and playing in the sand. Alan got him a few cups to use to make castles.

Cozumel... we opted to just shop a bit at the port and then enjoy a quiet day on the ship!!!

Grand Cayman... we went to Sting Ray city with Nativeway!! Awesome as usual!!! We went with Nativeway last February. The only problem in this port was that we had to leave earlier then planned. The time was changed from 5 to 2. There were many ship tours that were cancelled due to the time... but we did our full excursion with Nativeway and got back right at 2 pm... just in time to be in a HUGE line of people waiting for the tenders. We opted to wait across the street and wait for the lines to go down some.. then we got on the last tender.

The weather was finally nice on the last sea day!!!

I too participated in Quest... what a hoot!!!! Good thing my son was in the extended time at the kids club!!!!

All in all it was a great time!!!!

shrimp0, we are using Nativeway in May and I was wondering what you meant by cut short, do you mean the amount of time, or was the time changed from afternoon to the morning?

Thanks for the review. We are doing the x-treme cave tubing in Belize and your review affirms our decision.

We were on the same cruise as Shrimpo and Ando3. Myself, DH and son (11) and daughter (9). We has a JS aft and loved the size of the cabin and the huge balcony. We ate dinner everynight in the main diningroom and had a table with another family of four. We hit it off immediately. The kids would leave the diningroom after the main course heading to the kids programs and the grownups enjoyed desert and after dinner drinks. The food was good and if you wanted two or more of anything all you had to do was ask.

In Belize we took a taxi with just the four of us to Cave tubing. It was an awesome experience but I agree that it would have been better earlier in the year when there is more water (the dry season has started). The driver even stopped at her mothers home and cut coconuts out of a tree on the property for us to eat. Belize City is very poor and I would not have been comfortable wondering around outside of the pier area.

In Cozumel we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. Free admission or $5.00 per person if you want to use their water toys. Water trampoline, rock climbing iceberg, kayaks, snorkling gear, mats, hammocks. Nice restaurant and bar with service right to your chair. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas but the beach was really crowded.

Costa Maya we took a taxi to the little fishing village. $3 pp going, $2 pp returning (???). We booked horseback riding at the pier for $25. It was an hour ride and the horses were a bit sluggish but it was something the kids really wanted to do. Massages on the beach for $20 for 30 minutes. This was great!!! Beware of the man with the pet iguana. He will let you hold it and take a picture but then he wants $3.

Grand Cayman we went with Capt. Bryan to Stringray City and snorkled the barrier reef and an area he called the Aquarium. Great experience, nice people. The last tender was at 2:00 because bad weather was moving into the area. No time to shop but will be returning in 2 years on Freedom.

Any other questions, just ask

Our time in Grand Cayman was cut short by the Port Authority. We were supposed to be there from 9ish to the last tender leaving at 5. However, port authority said bad weather was coming in making the last tender leaving for the ship at 2. This did NOT in any way effect our trip with Nativeway!!!!! We had ample time at sting ray city and at the reef site for some snorkeling. We pulled back into the dock around 1:45. We piled on the bus to head back to the tenders... all of us somewhat nervouse... but Eldon repeatedly told us that it would be just fine. He was so right!!!! We got back to the area where you get the tenders right at 2 pm... just in time to stand in a huge line that went downt the street!!!!!!! He knew that when the ships are made to leave early that the line of people at 2 pm goes all the way down the street!!!!!! We decided to wait out the line across the street and watch as the line got shorter and shorter. We were on the last tender to the ship. There were NO problems!!!!!! The private tour operators do this every day... They depend on tourists and would not jeopardize their companies!!!!!

As for our excursion in Belize... we used Wet and Wild. When I asked Marvin about taking our 6 year old son... he said .. as long as we knew what we were getting into with him and we were comfortable with his abilities and he was comfortable. Our son would not have been able to do the excursion through the ship.... remember they have the childs birthdates and they do not give any leeway.... anywhere!!!!!!! Extreme will also take children and they offer a more family oriented trip... though shorter. The park has child sized tubes and life jackets ( we had our own life jacket for our son though... so I didnt get a real good look at what they had for the kids.. just know they were there). I would say that they only thing to remember when taking a younger child on this kind of excursion is that it is a really long walk to get to the starting point in the river... our son was NOT able to carry his own tube throughout the walk... my husband had to carry both.

The kids programming was excellent.... however, one thing to keep in mind... if you have been on a RC ship before with your children it will be many of the same activities. This was GREAT for my son. He didnt get to participate in some of the activities last year on the Navigator. This time, he was SO excited to participate in the Circus on the Seas, The Talent show and participate ( again) in the Pirate Night!!!!! ( i think this is his favorite!!!!!). They also offer dining with the staff on the 2 formal nights. These nights, you can drop your kids off at 6 at Johnny Rockets and they will be brought to the kids program from there. ( there is NO charge when the kids go with the kids club to Johnny Rockets!!!!!!) My son went to these dinners... I would go back at 8 to pick him up to go to the dining room with us... though a few nights he was just having too much fun and I would let him stay.

Cant believe we are back over a week already.... time to start planning the next cruise!!!!!!

Where is the winn dix? I noticed you posted on another thread about soda. My group looking to carry beer. Do you think we'll have a hard time carrying it on?

Thanks for the info, on formal night.

Also, do you have your compass, for Tues? My cc group, 28, is planning on booking the Portifino rest. for that night. And we want to make sure there is nothing going on that night.

Did you go to your Cruise Critic Party? And was it in the Portifino Rest?

I know I have lots of questions. My kids say I ask to many questions...:D Sorry..

Archived