Sick Kiddos

AlohaPride

What is it about this time of year that makes my kids sick for weeks on end? Last week was fevers, this week is colds. We haven't even had a change in "seasons" because we live in Hawaii, and my girls are home schooled. It must be even their slight contact with their friends who go to "regular" school. Sigh.

Any ideas on what to do to boost their immune systems?

I don't home school, and since my kids have been going to school since 2/3, and got the sickies out of the way, they're (knock on wood) never sick anymore! Once they got to kindergarten, they had most of the bugs already (pretty much constantly from October - May). I figure there is a number of illnesses out there to be had - either get them over with, or drag it out.

So, to build immunity, they need to get sick!

If they had fevers last week and "colds" this week, it may be a continuation of the same illness. I'd take them to a doctor to have them checked. Last month I got worn down on a trip to CA and NV. Three days after coming home, I got the worst respiratory illness I've ever had. There's something really nasty going around.

Let them get sick....fevers mean the immune system IS working! If it wasn't, they wouldn't be getting fevers, which is simply the body trying to "kill" the invading germs!

All kids get sick....if their friends are in school, they are bringing tons of germs your kids aren't used to.

As long as a fever isn't over 102, it's not really dangerous...simply a pain! And colds....well....that germ is everywhere...and there are many variations of the cold virus....so the more they have now, the less they'll catch later!

Kids get sick. Fact of life.

Throw away the anti bacterial everything, let them play in dirt and touch other kids, let them get sick, that's how our bodies build immunities to the bad things. My son is hardly ever sick, he was sick last week, it's the first time since he had his appendix out 2 years ago. We have pets, he played in dirt and went to school, it worked for us.

The only vaccine he hasn't had is a flu shot as well.

Yes, I knew about virus immunity. My girls are all very active in two co-ops, ice skating (in Hawaii, I know, weird), their hula halau, CCD, and we all go to Stroller Strides and Yoga alternating days. I guess it's just the age. My oldest just turned 6 last week, my middle daughter is 4, and my youngest is 2.5. I knew it was just really the age. Just was wondering what other parents do in their homes to keep the germs at bay. :) Especially, how you keep your kids healthy before a BIG trip ;)

I don't think there is a way, I just make sure I have things on hand in the even he gets sick. Just as I do for myself. Have to say its much easier now that he takes adult medicines! We make sure we have DayQuil and NyQuil, sea sick meds, headache meds, and general pain meds. Our doctor also prescribes some wide spectrum antibiotics for the just in case illness. And we have taken twinrix and dukoral of course.

Make certain that your kids eat good food - lots of veggies, fruits, high quality protiens, high quality carbs. A good variety of foods. Lots and lots of water. Make certain they get plenty of excersize (sounds like they do). 10 or more hours of sleep.

With that strong body, make certain that they do have regular contact with other kids so that they can get exposed. A strong body will be able to be exposed to germs and viruses, get minimally sick, recover quickly, and build up immunity.

We make sure we have DayQuil and NyQuil, sea sick meds, headache meds, and general pain meds. Our doctor also prescribes some wide spectrum antibiotics for the just in case illness. And we have taken twinrix and dukoral of course.

wow that's a lot of meds for "just in case"!

What are they all for ??

We're travelling with our dd aged 3 and the meds consist of Calpol (paracetamol for kids) and paracetamol for us adults in case of a headache.

Oh and a multi vitamin tonic to keep my daughters immune system up. The aircon does bad things to our Irish lungs!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

wow that's a lot of meds for "just in case"!

What are they all for ??

We're travelling with our dd aged 3 and the meds consist of Calpol (paracetamol for kids) and paracetamol for us adults in case of a headache.

Oh and a multi vitamin tonic to keep my daughters immune system up. The aircon does bad things to our Irish lungs!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

NyQuil and DayQuil are in the event one if is end up with a cold/flu going from extreme temps of -40 to 86 can do that to ones body unfortunately. Twinrix is for hepatitis, sorry I don't want that, dukoral is for travellers diarrhea, those are the only two we take for sure. When I when on the last cruise I didn't take any DayQuil, but the girl I traveled with was glad I had it when she got sick.

Tina and the gang!

NyQuil and DayQuil are in the event one if is end up with a cold/flu going from extreme temps of -40 to 86 can do that to ones body unfortunately. Twinrix is for hepatitis, sorry I don't want that, dukoral is for travellers diarrhea, those are the only two we take for sure. When I when on the last cruise I didn't take any DayQuil, but the girl I traveled with was glad I had it when she got sick.

Tina and the gang!

The only way you can catch a cold or the flu is if you are in contact with a cold or flu virus - changing temperatures doesn't make one sick. You can be vaccinated for hepatitis (had hep A - and yes, nobody wants that!).

Cold/flu/sinus infection anything that makes one feel off, the quils fix them all.

Yes that would be twinrix for hepatitis, at least that's what it's called in Canada.

All that will be along for the ride are the DayQuil/NyQuil pack, the headache/pain meds, and the antibiotics. We might bring some sea sickness pills for hubby and son, they haven't cruised before so I don't know how they will react to it.

Tina and the gang!

Archived