Dinner at Captains table.

italian girl

You can't really 'get' yourself invited. No one knows for sure how they choose invitees, but often they're in the top suites, or are high-level members of Captain's Club, or it could be a very special occasion (like a 50th anniversary). We were invited once on Summit and have absolutely no idea why as we were none of the above ... but it was a wonderful treat!

Keep in mind that you probably won't be eating with Captain if you do get invited. We dined at the table twice, once with the Staff Captain and once with the Asst. Hotel Manager and his fiance.

Both were great experiences - how they choose is sort of up to them.

The Captain's Club Hostess/Host issues the invitations to the Captain's Table. On our last X cruise (Constellation) the CC Hostess (Rosalba)invited us--I have no idea why, but it was great. We were sailing in a category 6 outside cabin--everyone else at the table was in a suite or had many. many cruises on Celebrity. We ate with the staff captain. Everyone met in one of the lounges where drinks were provided. When we went to the MDT we were instructed to leave the drinks on the table. A waiter brought them to the table (refilled to the brim). Wine was also provided with dinner. It was my DW's favorite experience in all of our cruises.

By the way, Rosalba is a great CC Hostess. I'm not sure which ship she is on, but she does a great job. She knew everyone who had been invited to the Captain's Table by name and ontroduced each of us to the others.

There is one thing you can be sure of - one does not ask to be invited to dine at the Captain's table; to do so is considered the height of bad manners and taste. The best you can hope for is that the invitation fairy decides that you would make a pleasant and interesting couple for the Captain and his other guests:)

The reality is that there are some who do ask to sit at the captain's table on most cruise lines/ships. If you want to, you can mention it to the hostess. This won't guarantee that it will happen and the odds will be low but people do this. Many would never mention that they ask but it happens often.

With that said typically folks are selected for different reasons. This could include the type of room they have booked, the number of cruises they have sailed on with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, a special event such as anniversary, etc.

Keith

It used to be the CC Hostess who was in charge of the invitations at the Captain's Tables, but during our last two cruises in July/August it was handled by the Hotel Administration, but I don't know if it's going to stay that way. And of course, the Captain himself (or Hotel Director, Staff Captain, etc...) can invite someone to their table.

Asking to be invited at the Captain's Table is not done, IMO. Although I'm not saying the OP is planning to, since this is not clear in the post.

Would being on your Honeymoon qualify?

I'm marrying this Saturday, the 5th, and I am on the Solstice Sailing on the 7th (Monday). My (soon to be) wife has never been out of the country hardly and she's never taken a cruise (heck, she can't even swim). To be at the Captain's Table one night would be the cat's pajamas for her. :) :) :)

I'm marrying this Saturday, the 5th, and I am on the Solstice Sailing on the 7th (Monday). My (soon to be) wife has never been out of the country hardly and she's never taken a cruise (heck, she can't even swim). To be at the Captain's Table one night would be the cat's pajamas for her. :) :) :)

:) Why don't you contact Customer Service and talk to them about it --- did

you purchase any special gifts for your bride as a surprize - for ex. flowers or

chocolate covered strawberries ??? some champagne, perhaps --- again,

give the cruise line a call or talk to your travel agent if you booked that way. Time is of the essence -- so please, don't dawdle.

Best wishes on your upcoming marriage --- live long and proper !;)

Ommadawn, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!:D

I'd suggest that you introduce yourselves to the CC Host/Hostess onboard, and tell them that you just got married & it's your bride's first cruise ever. Who knows? The captain's table fairy might whack you!:)

We have cruised Celebrity 14 times and have been invited to dine at the Captain's table 7 of those cruises. We were invited our very first cruise and usually book an inside cabin.

I think our success has to do with three things:

--We always book a table for two in the dining room.

--My wife and I are a very happy couple and it shows.

--My wife is tall, blond and cute. (most important factor I think?) Can you see why usha always gets an invite!!! :)

I didn't notice any Captain's table events on our last Solstice cruise. Not sure they are doing this on this new class of ship. Seems to be a big deal on the Millennium class of ships.

We were invited twice on different cruises and really enjoyed the experiences. We had become friendly with the Captains Club hostess and furture cruise sales person. We were totally surprised and delighted when we got the invitiations. We usually just book an outside cabin.

They are looking for friendly and out going people - I guess we qualify!

We were invited once to a private reception followed by dinner with the captain many years ago. It was a terrific experience. We became friendly with the captain and he invited us to the bridge for the sail out of the Panama Canal at night. We asked the captain why we were invited to dinner, he said,"sometimes I have to eat with who the company tells me to eat with and sometimes I have room to invite people that I choose". The other people invited that night included a couple with another longer cruise scheduled on the same ship the following month, 2 couples whose luggage never made the ship and a group of 3 single girls.

We were invited to the Captain's Table on our April 2009 cruise on Solstice by the Captain's Club Hostess - Daniella. We have cruised on Celebrity many times. We went to the Captain's Club Hostess to inquire about booking a future cruise and she invited us. This was one of the most memorable things that we have ever done on a cruise! We met in a reserved area of one of the bars by Daniella, the Captain joined us and we had appetizers and drinks before dinner. Then we were led into the main dining room after everyone else was seated, they took a group photo, then served us our meals along with a different type of wine with each course! We were also invited to tour the bridge the next day, which was just as fabulous! What a great experience!! :D

I don't think it will be bad to inquire about the possibility. As for you gets asked--who knows. We have been invited three times and the guests have all been varied, including couples that were cruising the first time with X. I would venture to say all of the invitees had some sort of interaction with officers or the CC host/hostess that made them feel they would be good dinner companions.

Ok hear is the scoop for us. 1st time on the Constellation N. Europe with our movie star gorgeous daughter 22 at the time. We were in an aft family cabin. ( We are not that good looking) 2nd time on the Mercury just my husband and I in an inside cabin, go figure. However my husband had spoken with the Captain's club hostess the night before. I guess he was charming. 3rd time this July with our daughter and new husband. This time she had asked the Captain's club hostess a question. I guess that charm runs in the family. We were both booked in outside cabins. She is 28 by this time.

We have been asked by the Hostess's 4 times. We turned her down the last time. It was the 6th formal night of a long b2b cruise on the Constellation. So we decided to just have a casual that night. Around 4:00PM our phone rings and she asks us if we want to dine with the Captain. We hated to turn her down but we really did not want to get dressed up that night.

While it's not polite to ask her for a dinner invitation, as an Elite member we do see her a few times and she usually gets an idea of who would work well for a dinner with the Captain.

Wow, dining at the captain's table seems to be a really interesting experience... but first - how does one track down CC hostess on a ship?

Hi,:) she is located near Guest Relations at a desk near the Concierge

and Future Cruise Consultant.

She also attends all the Capt's Club events that take place.

In reading posts on this subject over the years I've come to the conclusion that there is no real criteria to be met to be invited to the Captain's table. Like Kelmac we were invited on our very first cruise and we were in an inside cabin. We were invited by what was then called the "social hostess" I believe. I actually asked her a few days later why we were chosen and she said that she had noticed us at check-in and we seemed very outgoing and genuinely exicted to be going on the cruise. So just be yourself and see what happens. The one thing I would never do is ask to be invited - bad manners and bad taste, IMHO.

I hope you have a wonderful, memorable cruise, Captain's table or not.:D

Susan

The first time we were asked the Hostess "happened" to show up at our dinner table the first night. She only was looking for us and we were at a table for 8. She later told me that she had a list of Elite members and was watching for interesting couples to match up together for a Captains dinner table.

One other time a high ranking ships officer asked to eat at our large table. Why? We had a very attractive single lady and her mother sitting with our table. He did buy all the wine.

Archived