Baby Monitor on Carnival

chipperberg

Will a baby monitor work across the hall? We are on the Carnival Glory. The last time we cruised with LO we were able to book a 1 bedroom suite (aft wrap around, oh, I wish I could have done that again, but I don't think the Glory has the one bedroom aft wraps.)

We have 2 cabins booked. One is a balcony and directly across the hall is an interior. We are planning to put LO down for naptime and to put him down for bedtime in the interior while we stay directly across the hall (we will sleep in the same room, just don't want to go to bed at 7:30 during our entire cruise, and bringing him in a stroller, etc, is not an option. He only sleeps in a bed, he does not "fall asleep anywhere").

While I can appreciate the differences of opinions of whether I could or should leave my 2 year old child across the hall, I really just want to know if the monitor will work.

TIA

Ummm...across the hall...wow...anyway, check the manufacturer's information and it should give you the exact specs for that particular monitor.

I really, really, really wasn't going to voice an opinion since none was requested, but I just got sick thinking of this baby alone in a room that can be accessed by any number of ship personnel. What happens if the monitor quits working????

I really, really, really wasn't going to voice an opinion since none was requested, but I just got sick thinking of this baby alone in a room that can be accessed by any number of ship personnel. What happens if the monitor quits working????[/

Where do you all go when your children are napping? Do you just sit in the dark cabin and or balcony and wait? If the monitor quits working, I think I would notice. I have eyes for the video and ears for the audio. And I never said that lo would be in a room alone all night, just put down to bed. We co- sleep, so no, for your high horse information, I would not leave a baby in a room alone all night. Not even in my own home. But I bet you do. Which kind of makes me sick to my stomach. But anyway, if you read my entire post I did say we will sleep in the same room with LO but didn't want to do so at 7:30. This is why I sometimes dislike cc. I have come with a question and instead of a simple answer from someone who knows from experience, I must defend myself. Which I attempted to discourage with my original post. But low and behold, I guess some people just can't keep their opinions to themselves.

Yes, it should work, in theory.

In the future, only as much information as is absolutely necessary should be provided. What the monitor will be used for is extraneous and including it creates the opportunity for unsolicited advice which you obviously don't need or desire because you already have it all figured out. :)

Yes, it should work, in theory.

In the future, only as much information as is absolutely necessary should be provided. What the monitor will be used for is extraneous and including it creates the opportunity for unsolicited advice which you obviously don't need or desire because you already have it all figured out. :)

You are absolutely correct. And lesson learned!!! ;)

We just hang in the room while kiddo naps when we stay in hotels, so we won't do any different on a cruise ship. Usually we nap too, or read a book.

For our fall cruise, we got a balcony room so that we can sit on the balcony when kiddos go to bed.

I wouldn't trust a baby monitor with the number of people that use walkie talkies. The likely hood of the channel getting interference would probably be high.

To be honest, I don't think the cruise line would approve a 2 yo being left alone in a cabin, but I might be wrong. When my children are asleep, I'm still their mother and still responsible for their safety so I/we sit on the balcony and read a book, have a glass of wine, and sometimes when my husband and I get really crazy we enjoy just talking to each other. Now that we have 3 kids, we've started booking two side by side connecting rooms so that we can put the kids to bed and stay up without bothering them.

I wouldn't trust a baby monitor with the number of people that use walkie talkies. The likely hood of the channel getting interference would probably be high.

We used our monitor for a 7 day, and an 11 day cruise. No interference whatsoever. (Two bedroom suite, so no, baby was not in another cabin.)

While this has crossed my mind to do - I would never!

Yes during naps I take one too, watch a movie, sit on balcony, read a book, etc - or I try to transfer her to her stroller, roll her into camp carnival and they call me when she awakes (as she wont stay) .. I do the same at night - roll her asleep into camp carnival after she crashes (she has a fully lay downable stroller) and put the canopy across and with a blanket hanging down to "shelter" her -- i pick her up after the comedy shows, etc

Or I bring grandma to watch her :)

Would you take a baby monitor and go to your neighbors house for an hour?

I sure wouldn't nor is it illegal.. this is about the same as leaving your toddler in a hotel room alone - even if just next door - debatable illegal in the US

I really, really, really wasn't going to voice an opinion since none was requested, but I just got sick thinking of this baby alone in a room that can be accessed by any number of ship personnel. What happens if the monitor quits working????[/

Where do you all go when your children are napping? Do you just sit in the dark cabin and or balcony and wait? If the monitor quits working, I think I would notice. I have eyes for the video and ears for the audio. And I never said that lo would be in a room alone all night, just put down to bed. We co- sleep, so no, for your high horse information, I would not leave a baby in a room alone all night. Not even in my own home. But I bet you do. Which kind of makes me sick to my stomach. But anyway, if you read my entire post I did say we will sleep in the same room with LO but didn't want to do so at 7:30. This is why I sometimes dislike cc. I have come with a question and instead of a simple answer from someone who knows from experience, I must defend myself. Which I attempted to discourage with my original post. But low and behold, I guess some people just can't keep their opinions to themselves.

I didnt reply to your question since I dont have any first hand expereince with baby monitors on ships. I was surprised to read that a cosleeper would consider leaving a 2yo across the hallway with 2 doors between ( 3 if you're on the balcony) themselves and thier baby. For the record, we are cosleepers and have cruised with our babies. Im not being critical of your decisions, just very surprised.

Where do you all go when your children are napping?

My daughter was 2 on her first cruise. I also had 5 & 8 year old boys on that trip. I don't remember her napping during the day at all. Of course, none of my kids napped consistently by 2 years anyway, and none of them ever went to bed as early as 7:30. On that cruise, we were off the ship in ports most days, so if she napped at all, it was on my lap or in the sling. She did fall asleep on my lap at dinner a couple of times, but only for half an hour or so, and then she was wide awake and ready to go back to Camp Carnival. Sometimes when we'd pick the kids up from Camp one or more of them would be asleep, but not usually. They were and still are night owls.

I always figured that kids' sleep schedules would be all screwed up on vacation, and so we would just go with the flow.

I always would stay on the balcony when my son was napping. He was 2 on his 1st cruise. I would always want to be there when he woke up.... as it was not his bed at home and he may have been confused.

You probably already though of this, but Carnival has rooms with adjoining doors. I'm sure the baby monitor would work for that, and you could always just open the door a crack to hear the baby.

If a baby was sleeping in a house a parent would likely be further away than the distance the op is talking about and people would not think twice about it. And if you are using a baby monitor on a decent one you can crank up the sound so that you can hear the child breathing very clear and very loud (a person on a balcony with the child inside the cabin may not hear breathing at all). You'll know instantly if you have lost reception. Add in video and night vision (not expensive) and you are not going to miss anything happening in the room. If somebody else opened the door you'd hear the latch and be over there in a couple seconds. If for some reason you could not open the door well, I'm a big guy and have no doubt I could kick that door down very quickly. But that's me. There is imho no logical reason to give the op grief about this.

To the op, we use a Summer baby monitor,

http://www.squidoo.com/summer-baby-monitor

Tested it on the Star Princess. Worked from next door and quite a ways down the hall and around a corner (didn't measure distances, sorry). If yours is similar and unless your ship is made out of different materials or something it should work from across the hall no problem.

If a baby was sleeping in a house a parent would likely be further away than the distance the op is talking about and people would not think twice about it. And if you are using a baby monitor on a decent one you can crank up the sound so that you can hear the child breathing very clear and very loud (a person on a balcony with the child inside the cabin may not hear breathing at all). You'll know instantly if you have lost reception. Add in video and night vision (not expensive) and you are not going to miss anything happening in the room. If somebody else opened the door you'd hear the latch and be over there in a couple seconds. If for some reason you could not open the door well, I'm a big guy and have no doubt I could kick that door down very quickly. But that's me. There is imho no logical reason to give the op grief about this.

Tested it on the Star Princess. Worked from next door and quite a ways down the hall and around a corner (didn't measure distances, sorry). If yours is similar and unless your ship is made out of different materials or something it should work from across the hall no problem.

Well said

Thank you very much for your response. This is a similar model that we have with video and night vision and I appreciate you letting me know from experience that this monitor will most likely work.

It isn't about hearing breathing.. its a public place.. would you do that at a motel in the next room? staff can go in and out among other people... it isn't safe in my opinion and i for one would love to be able to do that... start googling accidents and deaths on cruise ships... and then you want to leave your infant/toddler in a room even if you are only the next one down...

It isn't about hearing breathing.. its a public place.. would you do that at a motel in the next room? staff can go in and out among other people... it isn't safe in my opinion and i for one would love to be able to do that... start googling accidents and deaths on cruise ships... and then you want to leave your infant/toddler in a room even if you are only the next one down...

It isn't about hearing breathing? That is kind of useful for monitoring a child. Public place? No, your cabin is not a 'public place' except maybe by a legal definition but I'm not a lawyer. I would not call it a public place. Staff can go in and out? Did you hear the bit about how you will clearly hear anyone opening the door and you could be over there in a few seconds? Google accidents on a cruise ship? I have. You should too and if you can figure out how any of those would happen to a child sleeping across the hall in an interior cabin and monitored by an alert parent who can see and very loudly hear everything that happens in that room, well I'd like to know how you imagine one of these extremely rare accidents would occur.

If you feel strongly that this is something that is just not safe none of my points are going to convince you and that's fine. If it isn't safe in your opinion then you should not do it. But I think the op has enough info here to make a rational decision.

Archived