Utilize Google Earth to see Alaska hotel area!

Royal Addiction

I wanted to share that if you want to check out where your hotel choices or attractions are in Alaska, download the free version of Google Earth if you don't already have it. You can go to street level anywhere in Alaska (public highways), and see a real picture of the area, do a 360* turn to see the surrounding area, 'drive' down the streets, etc.

We changed our hotel in Seward when I noticed that my first choice was pretty far away from any grocery store and the activities we chose. We are not renting a car anywhere in Alaska, so I really needed a convenience store near our hotels to pack lunches, buy supplies for the coffee maker, and be a bit more in the middle of things.

I now have an exact location of everything around our hotel, and know our choices in location won't be a disappointment or inconvenient.

Many of use have done this for quite a while, using Google Earth and Maps on our tablets or smart phones. Personally, we have done it extensively in Europe and the US.

The only issue we have found is scale. The scale the mapping aspect uses is less than reliable. We like to walk and use public transit on many of our stays in big cities. The scale issue has confused us a little at times.

But overall, its a great way to plan for a trip to a new place.

I would be lost without Street View on Google Maps! It has been invaluable when looking at where accomodations are located, what attractions they are near and what sort of neighbourhood they're in.

Even sadder, I actually found myself scrolling up and down parts of the Parks Highway so that I could familiarise myself with landmarks near places we might be stopping at or junctions we'll be turning off at. My excuse is that I'll be doing the navigating while my wife drives, so I've got to be prepared. Really I just wanted an excuse to ogle the gorgeous scenery before I got there!

That's not being obsessed, that's called not looking like a floundering tourist staring up into the sky with vast confusion! Being as prepared as possible is always a good thing in every aspect of life.

and for me the FUN is doing to prep work for travel. I love it.

Archived