Train from Denali/mcKinley to Whittier

Sumar76

On a Princess cruise tour that leaves Denali via train at 8:30am...arriving Whittier at 5:30pm.

I was wondering if this train would stop at McKinley? I have a friend whose schedule leaves McKinley at 1:30, and arrives Whittier at 6:30 pm.

I guess there are 2 different trains, but thought maybe the Denali one would just stop at mcKinley and pick those passengers up.

Anyone know?

On a Princess cruise tour that leaves Denali via train at 8:30am...arriving Whittier at 5:30pm.

I was wondering if this train would stop at McKinley? I have a friend whose schedule leaves McKinley at 1:30, and arrives Whittier at 6:30 pm.

I guess there are 2 different trains, but thought maybe the Denali one would just stop at mcKinley and pick those passengers up.

Anyone know?

We took the train from Denali to Whittier last summer and did not stop in McKinley. There was a separate train for those folks which arrived after ours. Train ride was great.

Tim

Tim...thanks, thats the answer I was looking for.

Nana57...on our cruise personalizer page when I looked up itinerary, it showed me when I clicked on Denali, etc.

I just might be too far away for them to post the info. yet. Not sure how close to the cruise did the times appear..But I leave next week.

Budget Queen...yes it will be a long train ride for sure!

Budget Queen...yes it will be a long train ride for sure!

To Whittier, the last 2 hours are the scenic portion. Some hours of repeating trees in a few sections. When you hit Anchorage, you may want to head out to the vestibules on the right side, and enjoy the spectacular viewing and free air. :)

Thanks Budget Queen, I will head out there for sure!

AARTrain... guess I will be able to take a picture of the McKinley train pulling into the station.

Tim!! I just viewed all your vidoes on your Ultimate Alaska Vacation.

What a great job! I am doing the same cruisetour as you had done, so it was very interesting indeed. I leave in 5 days..

Thanks for posting your trip!

Sumar, you must be on the same cruise tour we are doing. Get to the hotel Tuesday evening, 5/14. We are going a few days early and renting a car just to sightsee on our own. Can't wait to get up there! Only my second cruise ever and my first on Princess.

Raggiemom, yes! We are on the same cruise, the Diamond,

May 18th, but if you are starting out in Fairbanks we are on opposite ends.

We start in Anchorage on the 14th, and go McKinley on the 15th.

Then to Denali for 2 night, then the train back to Whittier.

So looking forward to this trip! I can't read enough about it.

I did a Northbound cruise 1998. And a week on land afterwards

Loved it! Went back the next year for the beginning of the Iditarod race.

Can't wait to wait to return!

Tim!! I just viewed all your vidoes on your Ultimate Alaska Vacation.

What a great job! I am doing the same cruisetour as you had done, so it was very interesting indeed. I leave in 5 days..

Thanks for posting your trip!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed them. If you eat in the King Salmon Restaurant at the Denali Princess and they offer the King Salmon on the menu it was very good and I am not a big fish person. We loved Alaska so much we are going back at the end of June. Time to make the sequel to the Ultimate Alaskan Vacation.

Tim

The McKinley train leaves Whitter early enough to pick up embarking cruise passengers at Talkeetna "staging area" and make it back to Whitter in time for the cruise. Denali is to far from Whitter to make the round trip in time to accommodate embarking cruise passengers.

Archived