On Probation can you get a passport?

cmptrwiz

I have a friend who wants to go on a cruise who is a convicted felon and is currently on probation. When he went to book a cruise through a particular travel agency who has a promotion going now they said they required a passport although the cruise line doesn't require it. Do you think he can get a passport? His probation officer said she doesn't mind if he leaves the country.

If Your leaving on a closed loop cruise all that is needed is a Birth Certificate and Government ID, a letter from the probation officer would also be good idea giving permission to leave the country, leaving might not be a problem but re-entering may come up in Customs and Imigrations database and that could cause a big hassle. Aslo be prepared to be flamed about the felony without the details people love to jump to conclusions.

I have a friend who wants to go on a cruise who is a convicted felon and is currently on probation. When he went to book a cruise through a particular travel agency who has a promotion going now they said they required a passport although the cruise line doesn't require it. Do you think he can get a passport? His probation officer said she doesn't mind if he leaves the country.

Its 'possible'...I can tell you I had a godson who was just on probation for a MINOR offense ( malicious destruction of property) and had to go before a judge in order get permission to DRIVE to Canada.

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/2010/04/20/international-laws-can-a-convicted-felon-travel-outside-the-us/

Its 'possible'...I can tell you I had a godson who was just on probation for a MINOR offense ( malicious destruction of property) and had to go before a judge in order get permission to DRIVE to Canada.

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/2010/04/20/international-laws-can-a-convicted-felon-travel-outside-the-us/

That may just be Canada, we are very strict !!!!

Getting the passport with a felony is not the problem... That, can be done...

The problem is other countries allowing the felon in:) many do not allow felons in... Canada is one that is particularly strict about it...

There is a full list of countries who do not allow felons in on the US department of states website...

Before booking, make sure none of those stops are on the list...

It's a cruise to Hawaii and stops in Ensenada Mexico. The thing I can't believe is the travel agency requires a passport to book ANY cruise. I don't disagree with their policy I just don't understand it completely.

Passport question aside, I don't think a letter from his P.O. is adequate. His P.O. needs to have a judge sign an order allowing him to leave the country on the specific dates, times, and to the locations listed on the itenerary.

Passport question aside, I don't think a letter from his P.O. is adequate. His P.O. needs to have a judge sign an order allowing him to leave the country on the specific dates, times, and to the locations listed on the itenerary.

I agree. That's the rule in our county.

I saw it broke by a felon one time. I assure you, she regretted not getting the JUDGE to okay her trip out of the country. It quickly become a he-said she-said situation between the probation officer and the criminal. Who do you think won??? :rolleyes:

Getting a passport shouldn't be a problem. Can't speak of all states, but personal exprince, I know living in N.Y. all he would need is a letter sign by the PO and noterzied. The PO should have a simple form letter from the state. He just enters Name dates and where travling to. Has it noterized there will be someone in the building where the Probation office to do it. Would suggest he makes 3 copies of the letter. Keep 1 with his passport. Keep 1 in the safe in the cabin. And leave 1 with a relitive at home just in case.

Surprised he got into Canada. A friend with DUI's was denied and told if he tried another crossing he'd be arrested as an undesirable.

Thanks for the link. Just found out felony possession of controlled substance. Good kid and has turned his life around. Hired him to work for me and is a great worker!

Surprised he got into Canada. A friend with DUI's was denied and told if he tried another crossing he'd be arrested as an undesirable.

I think it was a once time once type deal, and it was only for a couple of days he was allowed to go North. He was visiting family..don't know if it made a difference or not. I'm just glad he got to go.

Thanks for the link. Just found out felony possession of controlled substance. Good kid and has turned his life around. Hired him to work for me and is a great worker!

So, IF I have the verbage right, I assume that 'supervised release' is parole?

Then it sounds to ME that he can't get a passport? (But I'm certainly no expert, for sure!)

So, he probably could book somewhere else for the cruise with his drivers license..just maybe not a good idea to travel into Mexico?

It's a cruise to Hawaii and stops in Ensenada Mexico. The thing I can't believe is the travel agency requires a passport to book ANY cruise. I don't disagree with their policy I just don't understand it completely.

I don't understand the ins and outs of it either. But I do know it is just about the best form of ID an American citizen can have.

I have been in lines behind people pulling out reams of paper and the officials still ask for more. When it was my turn, I handed them the passport and was through the checkpoint in seconds.

If your friend qualifys for one, have them go for it.

celtic

Getting the passport with a felony is not the problem... That, can be done...

The problem is other countries allowing the felon in:) many do not allow felons in... Canada is one that is particularly strict about it...

There is a full list of countries who do not allow felons in on the US department of states website...

Before booking, make sure none of those stops are on the list...

it works the same way getting into the USA, a trespassing charge will not allow you in the USA if customs checks. it is just not Canada

Here in Canada... if you have a pardon which takes a lot of work to get and not everyone gets one ( the government says after so many years you have been a very good citizen your criminal record now can be hidden and you don't have to disclose it to anyone,, even the police department can not see it) .... Homeland security can see it regardless of what the Canadian government says..... and we still can be turned away at the USA border......

it works the same way getting into the USA, a trespassing charge will not allow you in the USA if customs checks.

Simple trespassing will not get you excluded from the US. Trespassing including harm to persons and property can. However, what is determining is not the underlying facts of the crime, but the statute under which you were convicted (which is why simple trespassing will not get you excluded).

yep seems we are strict here in Canada, NOT. Well maybe but once we let em in some turn into Cult Killers:

Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka

Col. Russell Williams

Michael Rafferty who kidnapped and dumped the body an 8 year old in Woodstock with the help of his crazy girlfriend

Crazy Trans Gender guy who chopped up his partner and spread his body parts in 2 Provinces....

Killings in Toronto regularly...

and oh yeah, so whack took the life of the Asian Lady and spread her body parts over 2 cities!!

Love Canada!!!

yep seems we are strict here in Canada, NOT. Well maybe but once we let em in some turn into Cult Killers:

Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka

Col. Russell Williams

Michael Rafferty who kidnapped and dumped the body an 8 year old in Woodstock with the help of his crazy girlfriend

Crazy Trans Gender guy who chopped up his partner and spread his body parts in 2 Provinces....

Killings in Toronto regularly...

and oh yeah, so whack took the life of the Asian Lady and spread her body parts over 2 cities!!

Love Canada!!!

You forgot the guy who killed a guy on a greyhound bus with a pen knife.

Gee, I'm so glad I kept my nose clean. I can go between the US and Canada and elsewhere as I please.

it works the same way getting into the USA, a trespassing charge will not allow you in the USA if customs checks. it is just not Canada

Here in Canada... if you have a pardon which takes a lot of work to get and not everyone gets one ( the government says after so many years you have been a very good citizen your criminal record now can be hidden and you don't have to disclose it to anyone,, even the police department can not see it) .... Homeland security can see it regardless of what the Canadian government says..... and we still can be turned away at the USA border......

Yeah you also have a groverment get rich sceame. I have been denied entrace into Canada. (When I was in my late 20's picked up a young lady while drinking at a bar. Who turned out tobe the underage daughter of a judge in town with a fake ID. Went thru the first step of the process at a cost $300. Recived a letter stating that there should be no reason not to alound me into Canada, however it needed to go to the Minster office in Otawa. As soon as I send in an additional $2000 would have my clerance in 7 to 10 days. Sorry but I was going on a regular basis for years, drive a charter/tour bus, but not worth another $2000, to bring more people to spend money there.

Archived