Venice People Mover Open and Running

euro cruiser

According to an article in today's La Nuova, the People Mover is open and running between Piazzale Roma and the ferry terminal at Tronchetto. According to the article, very few people are using it so far. They attribute this partly to lack of publicity, and partly to the lack of tourists due to the flight shutdowns in the past week.

http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/dettaglio/people-mover-dopo-la-festa-lo-usano-in-pochi-intimi/1951515

According to an article in today's La Nuova, the People Mover is open and running between Piazzale Roma and the ferry terminal at Tronchetto. According to the article, very few people are using it so far. They attribute this partly to lack of publicity, and partly to the lack of tourists due to the flight shutdowns in the past week.

http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/dettaglio/people-mover-dopo-la-festa-lo-usano-in-pochi-intimi/1951515

Thanks euro cruiser. I cannot find an "English" translation button on that web site - I'm assuming the Marittima Cruise Terminal stop is not open yet?

I'm sure they will have more people using it once the Marittima stop is open, especially during the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons. Keeping my fingers crossed for September :D

Since most of the cruise ships ar still on their way to Venice for the summer, it is no wonder there are no passengers on this thing...

Must say, in a lot of other threads there were speculations when it would be finished, it was completed sooner than many thought. I suppose people still cannot believe it is finished :D

I too could not find a translation of the PeopleMover article. I am sailing Insignia and will be in Venice June5,6. How would this transportation be used for cruise ship passengers? Ship to Piaz.Roma? What other stops?

Thanks

I too could not find a translation of the PeopleMover article. I am sailing Insignia and will be in Venice June5,6. How would this transportation be used for cruise ship passengers? Ship to Piaz.Roma? What other stops?

Thanks

Unfortunately, this is an Italian newspaper and they don't provide an English language version.

It's not really functional for cruise ship passengers yet, as the stop at the cruise ship terminal is still under construction, and no date has been set (at least as far as I have read) for its completion. Currently there are only two stops, Piazzale Roma and Tronchetto.

Other posters have suggested taking the People Mover to Tronchetto, then walking back across the bridge to the cruise ship terminal as an alternative to walking the entire way from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port. As I have not done this I can't comment on the ease of one option vs. the other, but perhaps someone with experience will post.

We will be in Venice on May 21st, sailing on the 22nd. We will report our findings. We are planning on taking the RCCL shuttle from Piazzale Roma to the ship since we are staying at the Papadopoli Venezia.

We'll be getting on when you get off! Too bad you weren't going a little sooner :) I'm very curious about taking the People Mover to Tronchetto and whether it's worth it. We plan on taking the ATVO bus straight from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma. What we'll do from there...who knows?

Thanks for the update & English version of same.

From Google maps it does not appear to be a difficult walk from the cruise ship dock to Tronchetto. No major “up or downs”, but would love to get someone to confirm that.

How easy / difficult is it with wheeled luggage?

Thanks,

Terry

I have posted a question on the Trip Adviser Venice board to ask about the walk from the Tronchetto People mover stop back to the cruise area. I cannot picture it in my mind so hopefully a local Venetian will answer.:p

You can see it on Google Earth Street View

In English...rough translation:

People Mover, after the party uses it in a few intimate

Without advertising and without guidance, the first day of travel semidesertiper funicular Venetian

VENICE back and forth to sixteen hours practically empty. Hailed as a leap into the future transport Venetians, as tomorrow becomes today and a lot of other things, the People Mover has collapsed the day after his inauguration becoming a semi-deserted train that made up and down between Piazzale Roma and the Section with four people on board every half 'now, just to make it large.

Without advertising and without slogans, the funicular has been ignored by the Venetians and was not considered by tourists, despite having to stop at Tronchetto proporizioni a terminal. Can not miss it, but you can not even understand what it is, since directions are vague and handled by a sheet of A4 paper hung below the sign: People Mover, to Piazzale Roma, 1 euro.

ACTV away from the landing, and also far enough away from the square of the tourist buses New Island, the supersonic train has patiently waited all day, but apart from a couple of Poles who did not know even where it was, a family of Italian tourists, the staff of ASM, which controlled the track and a few curious Venetian, uploaded little or nothing.

His detractors gloating. Useless. Before you say if you need or need not, however, would be nice to know there. Instead, the People Mover at the level of image does not exist. It is not - yet - advertised the jetties, or on the deck of Liberty. Were not distributed leaflets in hotels nor are planned billboards on the street. The foreign tour operators do not even know what it is. The Venetians who know little more but only because Monday was free, cut the ribbon was half junta headed by the mayor and Orsoni, with a little 'luck, one could take home a postcard of the People Mover with photo Graziano Arici.

Monday saw him one even if not wanted, because before the input Piazzale Roma was pushed all journalists, photographers and curious. Yesterday, the train barely discernible, partly 'because the departure is hidden between the Hall and the Garage San Marco and a bit' because the poster is displayed at the entrance rather cryptic. People Mover reads. End. It does not explain where it is directed, nor how much it costs, nor with that time. So yesterday was not whether the yarn is no even if ASM was still celebrating the inauguration of the i data: 2,800 departures with an average of 260 flights per hour despite the blockade and the non-arrival of thousands of tourists.

The Google map view is very deceiving. Take a look at the bridge between Piazzale Roma and the train station. It LOOKS like it is a straight bridge when in FACT it is a hump back bridge where you walk up to the top and then over the top and down the other side.

I would need a report from the ground as to the type of bridge it is and how easy it would be to pull luggage over it.

Most Cruiselines will have a free shuttle from Piazzale Roma to the ship the day of the cruise, look for the ship name in the front window, this has been reported by many cruisers and I will find out first hand in 4 weeks.

I'm the guy who shot the Venice Travel Blog videos of the People Mover that was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'd like to clear up any confusion about the People Mover's usefulness for cruise passengers:

1) The station at the Marittima cruise basin isn't yet in operation. I don't know the ETA for its opening date, but in light of the many delays that have plagued the People Mover, I wouldn't expect it to open for a while yet.

2) The Marittima station is *outside* the Marittima basin, just before the entrance to the cruise port. Whether it's close enough to be useful depends on which berth your ship will be in (after the station opens), how much luggage you have, and whether you're willing to walk a moderate distance. It's always possible that, after the station opens, the port management or the cruise lines will provide a way to drop off your luggage as you leave the People Mover station--but don't count on it.

3) The Marittima People Mover station is close to the Marittima ship berths, but it's nowhere near the San Basilio pier (which serves many small- to mid-sized ships, especially during the busier part of the cruise season).

In general, the best way to reach a ship from Venice's historic center is to do one of the following:

- Take your cruise line's shuttle boat from the Piazza San Marco area, if one is offered.

- Take a free shuttle bus to your ship from the Piazzale Roma (the taxi, car, and bus gateway to Venice) if one is offered.

- Hire a taxi in the Piazzale Roma for the shortish ride to either the Marittima or San Basilio cruise terminals.

Note: Cruise passengers CAN walk from the Piazzale Roma to the Venice cruise terminals with luggage (my wife and I have done it), but the 15- or 20-minute walk is dreary and isn't convenient if you travel with as much baggage as most cruise passengers do.

I'm the guy who shot the Venice Travel Blog videos of the People Mover that was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'd like to clear up any confusion about the People Mover's usefulness for cruise passengers:

1) The station at the Marittima cruise basin isn't yet in operation. I don't know the ETA for its opening date, but in light of the many delays that have plagued the People Mover, I wouldn't expect it to open for a while yet.

2) The Marittima station is *outside* the Marittima basin, just before the entrance to the cruise port. Whether it's close enough to be useful depends on which berth your ship will be in (after the station opens), how much luggage you have, and whether you're willing to walk a moderate distance. It's always possible that, after the station opens, the port management or the cruise lines will provide a way to drop off your luggage as you leave the People Mover station--but don't count on it.

3) The Marittima People Mover station is close to the Marittima ship berths, but it's nowhere near the San Basilio pier (which serves many small- to mid-sized ships, especially during the busier part of the cruise season).

In general, the best way to reach a ship from Venice's historic center is to do one of the following:

- Take your cruise line's shuttle boat from the Piazza San Marco area, if one is offered.

- Take a free shuttle bus to your ship from the Piazzale Roma (the taxi, car, and bus gateway to Venice) if one is offered.

- Hire a taxi in the Piazzale Roma for the shortish ride to either the Marittima or San Basilio cruise terminals.

Note: Cruise passengers CAN walk from the Piazzale Roma to the Venice cruise terminals with luggage (my wife and I have done it), but the 15- or 20-minute walk is dreary and isn't convenient if you travel with as much baggage as most cruise passengers do.

Thank you so much for that information. It's nice to hear from someone with first-hand knowledge. Guess I'll plan on taking a taxi next month.

Gracie!

what about getting from the airport to the port? Any suggestions on how to get there using min. amount of money but with the most ease? I was told Alilguana (sorry if its misspelled) can take me to the port, but I couldnt find a direct route. I found one from the airport to san marco an then san marco to the port. Is that the easiest way? Do we got off one boat and then try and find the other one? Do we pay twice?

Archived