Celebrity Summit August 1-3 Cup Match

garrahyd

I just booked my family cruise for the July 29 sailing. I just found some posts about crowding and closing of stores. Did I make a mistake? We are not big shoppers, but I don't like fighting through crowds for transportation, is there a beach that should be less crowded? My son loves soccer...should we try to see a match?

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I've been flip flopping on this cruise.

It was originally because I feared the kids would compare the NCL ship (much better for kids) to the Summit.

Then I found out about the Match Cup.

Yes, apparently this is similar as a National holiday where most are off work. Most shops will be closed and the beaches and transportation will be very busy.

(Apparently the shops near the dock will be open as usual.)

If your son likes Soccer, I'd definitely catch a game. I've got two daughters (17 and 12) and there would be no interest.

I am still considering this cruise, mostly because it is really reasonable. I too do not want to deal with large crowds.

My thinking is that if you are ok with staying mostly on the ship, the cruise will be just fine. If you really wanted to spend 3 days on the island, then perhaps you could see if you could change your dates..??

Good luck!!

These days are Public Holidays in Bermuda. Shops in the Port area will be open. Attractions will be open. The beaches will be busy as locals will be out in numbers enjoying our local beauty. Tour companies will be working to accommodate the needs of visitors. Public Transport will be working on Public Holiday Schedules.

This year the game will be in St. Georges so that area will be crowded. If you do not like crowds do not go to the game. If you want to mingle with locals, eat local food, do a little gaming and generally feel the Holiday Spirit Bermuda Style then a trip to the game is highly recommended. Take a supply of cash for entrance fee, yummy food, liquid refreshments and the gaming tables.

Oh, one more thing - the game is Cricket, not Soccer. Don't let that put you off from going to the game though. I can assure you most people at the game are not actually watching it.

Archived