Great American Steamboat Company

Jancruz

There will be a new river boat company starting shortly and they will be sailing the American Queen..I cant wait!! I want to finally see the USA by river

Jancruz1

Jan,

I've tried several times to sign up for updates and brochures when they are available on their web site, but there doesn't appear to be a "submit" button to finish the process. Tried enter and clicking various parts of web site to no avail. Am I missing something???????

Any way, looking forward to the start up as this has been a dream trip for my 87 year old mother for a very long time.

Say hello to Shari for me and Ken and I thoughly enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Regatta 17 June.

Jill

I saw an article in my hometown newspaper in Parkersburg, WV, a few days ago that might be of interest. Search PARKERSBURG NEWS AND SENTINEL and at the site search GREAT AMERICAN STEAMBOAT COMPANY. There is an article, ROLLING ON THE RIVER, dated Aug. 17, 2011 with a picture. Marietta, OH, about 15 miles from Parkersburg, will be a stop and it is one of the most beautiful little towns on the Ohio River. The whole area along the Ohio River is beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall.

Hope this helps.

Jan,

I've tried several times to sign up for updates and brochures when they are available on their web site, but there doesn't appear to be a "submit" button to finish the process. Tried enter and clicking various parts of web site to no avail. Am I missing something???????

Jill

I got the submit button

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/guest.html

I saw an article in my hometown newspaper in Parkersburg, WV, a few days ago that might be of interest. Search PARKERSBURG NEWS AND SENTINEL and at the site search GREAT AMERICAN STEAMBOAT COMPANY.

Hope this helps.

Here is the link

http://newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/551023/Rolling-on-the-river.html

You might contact the Marietta Tourist and Convention Bureau in Marietta, OH. They have a web site and you can chat on line with a representative. Also, telephone no. is 740-373-5178. I'll just bet they can give you information on how to contact this company if you still have a problem.

• 1 month later...

They say "genuine steamboat" but they give no details whatever concerning the machinery, boiler pressure, compound data.... I mean, they can't very well market a diesel powered boat under that moniker without opening up to all sorts of litigation - they wouldn't dare! So I hope there will be information available.

I'm ready to book if she's a steam powered boat.

They say "genuine steamboat" but they give no details whatever concerning the machinery, boiler pressure, compound data.... I mean, they can't very well market a diesel powered boat under that moniker without opening up to all sorts of litigation - they wouldn't dare! So I hope there will be information available.

I am sure if you contact them they can give you the details

check the blog for some details

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/blog/

The massive paddlewheel of the AMERICAN QUEEN is turned by two tandem-compound steam engines that were originally built by the Nordberg Manufacturing Company for use on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' dredgeboat KENNEDY. So, yes, the AQ is a real honest to God steamboat. She does have two electric Z-drive props athwart of her sternwheel for added power. The boiler provides steam for hotel operations along with power for the boat's steam whistle and calliope. Let us know which trip you book!

Thanks, that's very good news. I've seen so many pitiful conversions of fine steam machinery, in the name of economy - and the charm was lost.

It will be one of the longer cruises.

I would suggest a trip that has Louisville as a port of call. That way you can visit the oldest operating Mississippi style steamboat in America, the Str. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. In three years she will be 100 years old. http://WWW.BELLEOFLOUISVILLE.ORG

Anybody know the size of the accommodations and the demographics for cruisers on the American Queen?

The Delta Queen Steamboat Company's passengers were more mature than some other cruise line's passengers and tended to be upper middle class and American. My guess is that Great American Steamboat Co.'s will probably be the same. Also the shorter the voyage the younger the passengers generally were.

The size of the double occupancy rooms range from 132 square feet up to 337.5 square feet on the AMERICAN QUEEN. Rooms vary in size according to location, and even though a certain type of room may cost more, it could be smaller in size than a less expensive room. A travel agent that is familiar with the old Delta Queen product could be very helpful.

I hope the new company does a better job of getting the American Queen ready for passengers than the previous one did. We were on her in 1995 after she had been in service for a few months. (Prior to beginning passenger service the boat was stuck on a sandbar for 4 days.)

When we boarded in October the paddlewheel was broken so they had to use the auxiliary engines to power the boat. The stacks were designed to lower so they would fit under bridges. Unfortunately one was stuck in the bent over position.

Imagine if you will a riverboat cruising down the Ohio river with an inoperative paddlewheel and one and a half stacks! Not a pretty sight.

At that time we had already been on 19 cruise ships. After the American Queen disaster we quickly returned to them and spent the rest of our cruising days happily on the ocean with fully functioning ships.

We were on the Grand American Queen in 1999, R/T from New Orleans. The cabins were beautiful, the dining superb. Everything was 1st class all the way. It definitely cannot be compared to a cruise - it would be like comparing apples and oranges. It was one of the most relaxing, memorable vacations we have ever taken. We look forward to her return.

Just received our brochure for the American Queen. Have a cruise in mind but can't find cabin sizes in the various categories. Why would an Outside Deluxe cost more than an Outside Deluxe with Veranda? Any input on best month to go?

Thanks.

Why would an Outside Deluxe cost more than an Outside Deluxe with Veranda? Any input on best month to go?

Thanks.

You might be reading the brochure prices wrong

In my brochure the Outside with veranda is more than the one without ;)

As for when to go it may depend on where you are going

Nope Cat D is more expensive than Cat E which has a veranda. Same info shows up on line.

We are looking at rountrip New Orleans on the lower Mississippi. My husband is interested in visiting Vicksburg and it is in that itinerary.

sorry about that

I did look at the Cat E again maybe because it is an open deck not really a private balcony

It could be less desirable to some so a cheaper rate & maybe smaller cabins ??

You are right there are no cabin sizes mentioned

Maybe someone at GASC could answer the query

Looks like a great trip

D rooms have more space inside than E rooms, have a bathtub, and a bay window. Except for the handicap accessable D rooms, they do not have access to an outside deck. Some of the bays have a padded seat waist high at the base of the bay to sit down on and enjoy the view. Other of the bays extend all the way to the floor. The room size is 190 sq ft. Most E rooms are 141 sq ft, have showers instead of a tub, and their doors are to the public deck (called the guard on a steamboat).

Thank you for that info. Think I'll opt for a D category (only $100 more pp). I sort of surmised size was the factor.

Can a scooter be used in a non-accessible room or is there a lip we would need to deal with? How about the rest of the boat (ship?)? We can manage with just a wheelchair so it's not a major issue.

We've wanted to do this for sometime now so we are excited that the American Queen is up and running again. We will probably go in April unless someone says that's a terrible time to do RT New Orleans.

Archived