Accessible Excursions in Hawaii?

kd003

When we went to Hawaii on HAL, we were able to book accessible (bus with lift) tours through the cruise line in both Hilo and Nawiliwili. In the first port, we took the Volcano National Park tour, which was very nice, and on Kauai we went to Waimea Canyon. Just be sure you talk with both Special Services and the Excursion Office by PHONE prior to your cruise and be clear that you require a lift equipped bus for your tours.

In Lahaina we rented a car, but we were dependent upon the ship allowing us off on their tender lift. This is iffy depending on the availability of the lift, and also the seas. Book a car that you can cancel by a cell phone call without charges if this is the case (we used Alamo). The rental car shuttles are not accessible, so an AB driver will need to go pick up the car and drive it back to the pier to pick you up, and the same when returning the car. If you only want to shop and sightsee in town, you don't need a car.

In Honolulu, the city Bus is accessible. You can use this to get to Waikiki. We like going to the Waikiki Aquarium which is on the south end of the beach area there.

In Honolulu, Thrifty has wheelchair accessible buses. I just happened to get one from the rental location back to the pier but I imagine you can request it.

Also, be sure to talk to the Shore Excursion Office on the ship to make sure they have the correct bus in the correct position. In Kauai, they had to move buses around for my husband because it wasn't in the first traffic lane (even though we had been assured everything was ready)

The Polynesian Cultural Center has an accessible van for pick up when you book through them in Honolulu. Timing is from Noon to about 9:30 p.m. -- a full day, so make sure your ship is leaving late. You can call them. If possible, book a private excursion package -- an expensive delight! On private excursions you have a guide who knows the timing of all shows and exhibits and maximizes your sights -- as well as having a reserved spot for all shows. Vicki:)

On Oahu you should definitely check out the Polynesian Cultural Center if you care anything about learning about their culture and history. And yes, it is pretty much a full day event.

Honolulu is a modern city and you can get anything there, countless stores to shop in, ranging from high dollar to low. In Honolulu there is a revolving restaurant at the top of a tower downtown, as you eat the restaurant turns and you get a full view of the entire area. It's pretty cool to do it at sundown. And you should check out Pearl Harbor if you want to know anything about that type of history.

The Dole pineapple plantation is pretty neat, you learn all about pineapples history in the islands and you simply cannot get a fresher pineapple to eat.

They have a flea market at aloha stadium on Saturdays, interesting things and a cheap place to get lots of souvenirs.

Over on Maui there is the volcano, lots of people drive to the top to watch the sunrise then they get on a bicycle and coast down, 13 miles if I remember correctly. Halfway up the volcano is a winery, if you like that sort of thing. And lots of people do the drive to Hana, but after we got about halfway there we were ready to turn around and come back. We didn't, we did go all the way but it was a long day.

La Haina is the old capital and is an interesting old town, lots of good shopping there. And there are lots of ocean activities, para sailing, submarine, they have a luau there.

And they have a giant aquarium on Maui, Maui Ocean center I think it is called. And they have a sugar cane plantation and factory tour.

I use a power wheelchair and had no problem doing all of the above, except I skipped out on the Paris ailing and the submarine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived