Recent Scenic reviews?Budapest to Bucharest?

alexandra cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
I wanted is already sold out,,,wow,,,will have to call in March to get on June 2014 one...or be put on waitlist,,but want $250...for that,,is refundable,,but will just wait..

Guess that date and cruise,,,very popular.??????

Just at a Scenic information session yesterday - and discussed deposits for 2014. I was told that a deposit for 2014 is refundable, although one for 2013 is not. They will guarantee at least the early booking discount they currently have - and, if the offer is "better" when the new brochures are released next year, they will honour it. Of course, it is isn't as sweet - they will honour what you have signed up for. Rather a sweet deal, actually... Of course, I would always make sure that I have that in writing....

DH and I are considering one of their itineraries in Southern France.

Fran

but think I ll just have to wait,,,have AMA Vietnam to pay for in a few days,,,for Dec.cruise,And Oceania for Sept ...a little stretched at moment.Have taken 9 river cruises,,and never one booked THAT FAR in advance...new brochure for 2013 /14 looks fantastic and DO WANT to try a Scenic ship...great dates and itinerary for me.:)

Hi -- I've done a few days on Scenic (and have cruised on all the other major river lines). Do you have specific questions about Scenic? I'm writing a review on my Scenic Crystal Rhine cruise, and it's not finished yet, but happy to answer questions in the meantime.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

just see 4 reviews under Member section...got a brochure and looks good,,so far.

Need details and advice,,,please. Trying to decide between this one and others. Help.....:confused:

Hi Carolyn, in the Scenic Terms and Conditions, it says "Each passenger is entitled to one suitcase per person, not exceeding 76 x 53 x 28 cm (30" x 21" x 11") in size and 20kg (42 lb) in weight. Personal items should be carried in a travel bag which does not exceed 4kg (8 lb) in weight." Is this strictly enforced or are Scenic a bit forgiving when it comes to suitcase size?

Thank you.

Shawne

in terms of cabins with balcony....its been reported that Scenic ships had noice and odor probs in back,,,been fixed??

Is food and service comparable to ,,say AMA?? I asked my TA and he had little facts re.company....

So far,,the dates for 2014 look good and itinerary,,,but this June one sold out..not even sure if I want Ocean cruise on Black Sea....or river one??Still in planning phase...sort of hard to plan SO FAR in advance,,but a necessity on this area since so few ships and dates.

Would you go on this cruiseline again??Have been on most of major lines,,so not a newbie,,just to THIS line...:confused:

Carolyn,

We are trying our first river cruise in 2013 on the Scenic Jewel. As SLWW, I wondered if there is any leeway on the baggage restrictions. Also, we are aft cabin fans on sea cruises, so booked an aft on the Jewel's Danube deck. Somewhere in all the reading I've done recently, I saw that the Jewel is supposed to have a new, quieter propulsion system. Do you have any information about that?

I'm looking forward to seeing your review!

Having just finished my first cruise with Scenic doing the Rhine/Moselle cruise, I'll answer some questions based on this recent experience.

....in the Scenic Terms and Conditions, it says "Each passenger is entitled to one suitcase per person, not exceeding 76 x 53 x 28 cm (30" x 21" x 11") in size and 20kg (42 lb) in weight. Personal items should be carried in a travel bag which does not exceed 4kg (8 lb) in weight." Is this strictly enforced or are Scenic a bit forgiving when it comes to suitcase size?

The baggage descriptions described in the Scenic T&C corresponds (almost) to the baggage restrictions Australians have when flying from Australia in economy class. ie one suitcase 20kg in weight, and a carry on bag with 7kg weight. The feeling I got from the crew was that you had one suitcase (20kg and size as described) and then you had the Scenic backpack. (Not sure if that is an Australian thing only.) Its not a large backpack, and is what I would call a "day pack". Thus its 4kg weight limit whereas the airlines have a 7kg limit for carry on bags.

Do they weigh the bags? Not that I saw. Do they measure the bags? Not that I saw. However, remember the crew do manually move these bags for you so they have health and safety restrictions plus you have to store the suitcase in the cabin. If you have a suitcase larger than that described, then storing it in the cabin becomes difficult, if not impossible.

in terms of cabins with balcony....its been reported that Scenic ships had noice and odor probs in back,,,been fixed??

Is food and service comparable to ,,say AMA?? I asked my TA and he had little facts re.company....

Would you go on this cruiseline again??Have been on most of major lines,,so not a newbie,,just to THIS line...:confused:

Balcony: Our cabin was mid-ship and we did not have noise or odour problems. However, some of the rear cabins did have noise and vibration problems but that was primarily due to a mechanical fault which was fixed a couple of days after it was found. (The problem had to be identified, and then a shipyard found to allow repairs to occur, while still ensuring that we got to see what we planned to see and it was achieved. Yes, the schedule was rearranged for a couple of days and we docked in a city we didn't plan to and didn't dock in a city we were planned to, but all tours were still done.)

Food and Service? Can't compare to AMA, but what I experienced was impeccable. Staff and crew were always willing to help, no question was ever a problem and always answered and done so with a smile. If you had allergies or food restrictions, they always appeared to be handled without complaint or issue by the staff.

Having said that, I did hear that some guests (I think mainly Americans) complained about the serving sizes and that there was not enough food available. For breakfast, this should not be an issue as it was a buffet breakfast. Lunch and dinners were four (or five) course meals and serving sizes were small - but the meal overall was fine. The feeling I get is that Americans are used to larger meals and serving sizes than what was being served (which I suspect is designed for Australians). The menus we had every day did state that if you wanted a different serving size, then ask your waiter for assistance. I did that one night when the two starter courses were something I would not eat, and asked for a double serving of the fish for the main. It arrived and was very enjoyable. (As an aside, my weight when I got back home was the same as when I left, so the exercise I did was right for the meal sizes I had.)

Would I go on a Scenic river cruise again? Without hesitation, you bet I would.

Hi Carolyn, in the Scenic Terms and Conditions, it says "Each passenger is entitled to one suitcase per person, not exceeding 76 x 53 x 28 cm (30" x 21" x 11") in size and 20kg (42 lb) in weight. Personal items should be carried in a travel bag which does not exceed 4kg (8 lb) in weight." Is this strictly enforced or are Scenic a bit forgiving when it comes to suitcase size?

Thank you.

Shawne

I took my rolling suitcases they weighed about 35 lbs each 62" total dimensions

I think the scenic sizes are for Australians that are using the Scenic air

No one questioned us on size or weight ..but as noted the crew do the lifting of your bags ..so be kind pack light:)

We are booked with Scenic from Amsterdam to Bucharest in May 2013. We paid a deposit in July 2011 to ensure we were notified as soon as bookings were opened for the cruise we wanted (we wanted a specific cabin, of which there is only 2) and paid $500. In early February we were notified that cabins were available and ours had been held pending our deposit (which is where you pay $500 less to cover your initial payment). So we had our booking confirmed on February 9th 2012 for the cruise that leaves May 20th 2013!! If it is what you what don't leave it too late, is my advice.

Karyn

We are booked with Scenic from Amsterdam to Bucharest in May 2013. We paid a deposit in July 2011 to ensure we were notified as soon as bookings were opened for the cruise we wanted (we wanted a specific cabin, of which there is only 2) and paid $500. In early February we were notified that cabins were available and ours had been held pending our deposit (which is where you pay $500 less to cover your initial payment). So we had our booking confirmed on February 9th 2012 for the cruise that leaves May 20th 2013!! If it is what you what don't leave it too late, is my advice.

Karyn

I had called Scenic and they did say I could get on a waitlist for $250...so it must be $500 for 2??She said dates open in March ,,,so thought that would be early enough..but will contact my TA and let them work it out for June 2014...sell out fast,,,thinking of Jr. suites,,,and only 2 on lower deck....glad you told me.:)

Thank you hark40 and LHT28 for your replies. I have a suitcase that is 13" wide, not the 11" that Scenic says in their Terms and Conditions. I think I will be able to use it, and I will make sure it's not heavy.

Shawne

I had called Scenic and they did say I could get on a waitlist for $250...so it must be $500 for 2??She said dates open in March ,,,so thought that would be early enough..but will contact my TA and let them work it out for June 2014...sell out fast,,,thinking of Jr. suites,,,and only 2 on lower deck....glad you told me.:)

We put down $250/pp this afternoon for a cruise in October 2014. We don't have an exact date - just know it will be around Oct 4th.

We have been guaranteed the 2013 price plus early booking discount for 2014 - unless the early booking incentive for 2014 is better - in which case we will get that one. We have to pay another $250/pp when we firm up next spring - or, can choose to cancel and get our money back. We booked Paris to Barcelona -->3 days in Paris, a 7 night cruise on the Rhone - and then 3 nights in Barcelona. The EBD was too good to pass up...

Fran

Hi Franski, how can I find out what the EBD would be? I got back from Europe a week ago but haven't got my welcome back package yet.

Thanks for any insight you can give,

Mary

Hi Mary -

We went to a Scenic info session - and picked up their 2013/14 brochure there - but it is available on-line to view.

We travel lowest category cabin... yes, I know that seems a bit of a travesty when they have those wonderful balconies... :D This cruise has an EBD of $2100/couple for categories D&E. That makes it really difficult to walk away. So I talked with our friends (the couple that we went to Russia with...) and we both put a deposit down.

Fran

No problems, hope you get the cabin you want.

Karyn

• 2 weeks later...

Franski, we followed your lead and put deposits on a 2014 cruise. As you told me it is totally refundable. We booked the combined Rhine and Rhone for the fall, no definite date yet. Thanks so much for the heads up,

Mary

We booked our August 2013 cruise in May 2012 and got the last Cat E cabin. Just finished the AMS to BUD Scenic cruise on the Emerald, the ship that is moving to France in 2013 for the Saone and Rhone rivers. It is being retrofitted/refurbished in November this year. We were just in the Cat E cabin on the recent trip and found it extremely noisy going through locks but that won't be an issue in France and the ship is docked in port overnight next year.The present Captain of the Emerald is hoping to become Captain of the Pearl. He is fantastic, very personable and visible.

I believe the Emerald will get a whole new crew for next year since the French employment laws are quite different and require a French Captain and crew. I know some of the crew this past week were hoping to get work permits but they won't know for many months.

With respect to luggage, Scenic did not weigh the bags. Our large bags were 50 lbs and the small ones 20 lbs and there were no issues. The bags stored under the beds (hardsided luggage likely would not fit but there is room under the counter in the room).

Judy - we must have been in AMS on the same day as we finished the Basel to Amsterdam cruise on the 17th Sep on the Scenic Emerald and she was starting a cruise to Budapest on that day.

Was the captain Austrian? Our cruise had an Austrian captain and if he was the same as yours or not, he was always visible and happy to chat when he could with the passengers.

Archived