Kudo's to the Ruby Captain

Parvatiiv

I was talking to my parents while they waited for sail away this evening from their room and the Captain announced they'd have a slight delay as they were waiting for two passengers who's flights had just landed in Fort lauderdale. I know ships typically will leave passengers who aren't timely but this was a super nice move on the ships part. I'm sure those two passengers are grateful, especially since it's a transatlantic and "catching up with the boat" would have been next Sunday when the ship calls on it's first port in Madeira, Portugal.

I've always considered Ruby my favorite ship and this is just another reason why. :)

I was talking to my parents while they waited for sail away this evening from their room and the Captain announced they'd have a slight delay as they were waiting for two passengers who's flights had just landed in Fort lauderdale. I know ships typically will leave passengers who aren't timely but this was a super nice move on the ships part. I'm sure those two passengers are grateful, especially since it's a transatlantic and "catching up with the boat" would have been next Sunday when the ship calls on it's first port in Madeira, Portugal.

I've always considered Ruby my favorite ship and this is just another reason why. :)

If you're talking about Captain Tony Yeomans, he's the best I've ever sailed with.....:):):)

Bob

If you're talking about Captain Tony Yeomans, he's the best I've ever sailed with.....:):):)

Bob

Agreed. He's fantastic. I ran into him out on deck so many times while on a ten day, I thought maybe the Exec's had figured out a way to clone him for us. Such a nice guy. :):)

Just completed a cruise on the Ruby Princess. We watched passengers returning from a stop in Grand Turk. The ship waited until everyone was on board including those who were 20-25 minutes late. It was the last port on the cruise, and that may be why. There was also a large group, not just one or two people.

Generally we book our own flights and fly in on the day of the cruise. We always submit our flight information to Princess ahead of time, and they include a phone number to call in case passengers are delayed. The cruise lines don't advertise that they will wait, but most likely common sense prevails. I assume they wait a reasonable amount of time for people who have unavoidable flight delays. Certainly creates much better PR for the cruise line and captain!

Anyone who says the captain of the ship makes no difference in their cruise experience has never met Capt. Yeomans. We first sailed with him to Hawaii on the Diamond Princess, and then he was our captain on our first two Ruby TA's. He's professional, yet friendly, and has a great sense of humor. You'll see him all over the ship, and he's never too busy to say hello.

Our captain waited for a large group of passengers who were arriving on a charter flight when we took our first cruise to Alaska on the Star Princess. A Celebrity captain once waited for a couple in San Juan. He actually had the ship leave the dock, because it was going to cost extra to stay there, but then he idled the ship off the coast so that they could tender over to it. San Juan was our last stop before heading back to Florida.

I'm guessing that on a trans-Atlantic, there's a lot of ways to make up time if you leave a little bit late. We left Florida six hours late due to engine problems on the Sun Princess and ended up almost missing our stop in St. Thomas. The ship docked about four hours late but still left on time. Bad weather made it impossible for the captain to make up the lost time.

Some captains are more people oriented than others and Captain McCharming certainly fits into that category. If waiting a few minutes will not disrupt the overall schedule, and will not incur extra fees, waiting will surely gain customer approval. After the comments made last fall when a RCL ship had to leave San Juan in a hurry ahead of time, it certainly will pay dividends to the cruise lines to be seen as customer-oriented.

Ciao,

Nikki

Archived