Beach without waves

dapaddo

• 2 weeks later...

The open-air taxis typically take passengers to Cane Garden Bay. There is very little wave activity there as it is a protected cove area. There should be no problem getting in and out of the water here and the beach is beautiful.

The open-air taxis typically take passengers to Cane Garden Bay. There is very little wave activity there as it is a protected cove area. There should be no problem getting in and out of the water here and the beach is beautiful.

Mdsue CGB can be extremely rough depending on sea conditions. Yes it can be somewhat calm at times when there are no swells but it's not as protected as other mooring fields. When we've stayed at Myett's we've seen some very high waves where we couldn't even wade. It depends on the weather, of course. The beach isn't that nice in our opinion, CGB is well-liked for evening entertainment and dinner. Not that bad a beach, and we've spent alot of time on that beach enjoying Stanley's for lunch. But it just doesn't compare to Smuggler's, Long Bay (Tortola or Beef Island), or Brewer's in our opinion. But for a calm, protected beach Smuggler's is the best choice. If the OP wants amenities amd maybe calm water CGB would certainly fit the bill.

Taxis take the bulk of ship passengers to CGB because it is touted as a "safe and comfortable" beach, and it is easily accessible by the larger safari trucks. Another reason to avoid CGB. We would watch several trucks load up under our balcony and see hundreds of people being herded into them and whisked back to the ship. Much more comfortable and enjoyable to take your own taxi, roundtrip to Smuggler's is $24pp for 3 or more ppl,a little less to CBG.

Mdsue CGB can be extremely rough depending on sea conditions. Yes it can be somewhat calm at times when there are no swells but it's not as protected as other mooring fields. When we've stayed at Myett's we've seen some very high waves where we couldn't even wade. It depends on the weather, of course. The beach isn't that nice in our opinion, CGB is well-liked for evening entertainment and dinner. Not that bad a beach, and we've spent alot of time on that beach enjoying Stanley's for lunch. But it just doesn't compare to Smuggler's, Long Bay (Tortola or Beef Island), or Brewer's in our opinion. But for a calm, protected beach Smuggler's is the best choice. If the OP wants amenities amd maybe calm water CGB would certainly fit the bill.

Taxis take the bulk of ship passengers to CGB because it is touted as a "safe and comfortable" beach, and it is easily accessible by the larger safari trucks. Another reason to avoid CGB. We would watch several trucks load up under our balcony and see hundreds of people being herded into them and whisked back to the ship. Much more comfortable and enjoyable to take your own taxi, roundtrip to Smuggler's is $24pp for 3 or more ppl,a little less to CBG.

Thank you it sounds like Smuggler it is!

I should note that there are no vendors at Smuggler's, Patricia had a great little grill and bar there and Nigel rented snorkel gear but all vendors were recently removed so if you want any drinks or lunch stop bu the store and get a disposable cooler. The restrooms are also portapotties, no real facilities there. That's the price we pay for several hours in paradise...

CGB has beach bars/restaurants if that is a priority.

I've heard Smugglers is beautiful and much less crowded than Cane Garden Bay, but I wanted to offer other options for anyone on a budget that didn't want to spend the extra money to go the one of the other beaches.

I've been to Cane Garden twice (just two weeks ago the last visit) and both times the water was extremely calm- no waves to speak of.

The open air taxis definitely don't hold hundred's of passengers and we were not crowded at all. We rode with maybe 20 other people. They do wait to get enough passengers to make their trip worthwhile.They may not seem safe to some, but they were perfectly fine for me.

I definitely would love to check out Smuggler's or Brewer's Bay sometime on one of my visits, but I still love Cane Garden Bay. I think if someone wants inexpensive with lots to do, I'd choose Cane Garden Bay and of the want more seclusion, and less people, and good snorkelling i'd choose the others

From our view above, it seemed like a cove to me:

4993.jpg

This was the wave size on both our visits- negligible

5040.jpg

the open-air taxis we took:

5118.jpg

Just don't want to scare anyone off a perfectly nice beach- but certainly can't say how the wave condtions are every day- but they were minimal on our visits

Yes it can be very calm depending on the sea conditions but it is not protected during swells which are common, that's my only point.

The hundreds of passengers I mentioned were among several trucks, not one. :p They definitely herd alot of people there on busy days. Anyone staying in hotels there will leave the bay until the trucks take the passengers back to the ship. The trucks come and go picking up and dropping off. We happened to get back to our room as they were loading up the last of the passengers on several trucks, what a sight! I also have videos of the trucks making the 180 degree turns by the Bananakeet, very funny!

The taxi to CGB is just slightly less than Smuggler's, but you must pay for lounges and umbrella in CGB while lounges are free in Smuggler's and there is plenty of natural shade. I'm also a little concerned about the reports I've read recently of people dumping their waste as they're moored in CGB. More than one report of that and so I'm leery of wading there.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day on CGB, we go there to see Val and Kareem and Prince at Myett's and Quito at his place. But for a nice beach with less crowds we head to Smuggler's or Long Bay.

dapaddo Long Bay is another option where you can get a day pass at the Long Bay Resort to use their pool too (the beaches are free on Tortola). The waves can be higher there though. But beautiful walking beach.

Another option is Brewer's Bay Beach! Some call it the "Secret Beach"!

Absolutely lovely place with a gently sloping beach and gentle waves. It's easy to feel as if you've stepped back in time to the early days of the Caribbean. There's a small rustic restaurant/bar, a bathroom, and a man renting chairs. No unbrellas needed ... natural shade from trees if you wish. No motor vessels are allowed nor even sailboats.

Getting there is not for the faint-hearted! :D The ride to Cane Garden Bay is a "Sunday School Picnic" compared to the ride to Brewer's! Extremely STEEP decents! :eek:

Yes I didn't mention Brewer's because it tends to be less calm than both Smuggler's and CGB. Nicoles place serves up a good burger and you can snorkel there but these north beaches attract surfers for good reason and it didn't seem to fit the OP's needs.

And yes there are some extremely steep areas, it's more fun when you add a 180 degree switchback and lots of taxi traffic!

Yes I didn't mention Brewer's because it tends to be less calm than both Smuggler's and CGB. Nicoles place serves up a good burger and you can snorkel there but these north beaches attract surfers for good reason and it didn't seem to fit the OP's needs.

And yes there are some extremely steep areas, it's more fun when you add a 180 degree switchback and lots of taxi traffic!

Gosh .... Must depend on when you go. :confused:

We actually found Brewer's calmer (rather like a pretty lake) than when we were at CGB. It would have been absolutely impossible to have surfed at Brewer's ... not even little breaker waves.

Another option is Brewer's Bay Beach! Some call it the "Secret Beach"!

Absolutely lovely place with a gently sloping beach and gentle waves. It's easy to feel as if you've stepped back in time to the early days of the Caribbean. There's a small rustic restaurant/bar, a bathroom, and a man renting chairs. No unbrellas needed ... natural shade from trees if you wish. No motor vessels are allowed nor even sailboats.

Getting there is not for the faint-hearted! :D The ride to Cane Garden Bay is a "Sunday School Picnic" compared to the ride to Brewer's! Extremely STEEP decents! :eek:

The ride sounds like fun (if you like roller coasters). I thought the ride to CGB was pretty hair-raising on my first trip there. The second trip was considerably calmer. I think it largely depends on the driver, but the roads are definitley windy, curvy, and steep.

We met some other cruisers who went to Brewers Bay and they said they practically had the beach to themselves for the first few hours. They said they paid $24 for the cab ride over (not sure if that was total or each), but were able to get an open-air cab ride back for $8 each. They didn't mention waves, but did say it was beautiful and had great snorkeling.

We've driven Tortola extensively and some areas are still scary to me. In those cases I actually find myself leaning forward against the steering wheel to help keep the Jeep from flipping back over!:p

The taxi ride is actually one of the enjoyable parts of the excursion, and the views of the bays from the hilltops are incredible.

The taxi rates are dependent on the number of people in your group. The rate to CGB, Brewer's, and Josiah (the real secret beach) are the same - $24 for 1, $12pp for 2, and $8pp for 3 or more. Smuggler's is a few $ more. These prices are each way.

Dapaddo there is also Long Bay (Beef Island), a beautiful beach that no one goes to but a few in the know and the locals (like Smuggler's but even fewer ppl). Near the airport, taxi rate is similar to CGB, no amenities at all but beautiful and quiet.

So many gorgeous beaches, CGB is decent but not in the same class.

Yes it can be very calm depending on the sea conditions but it is not protected during swells which are common, that's my only point.

The hundreds of passengers I mentioned were among several trucks, not one. :p They definitely herd alot of people there on busy days. Anyone staying in hotels there will leave the bay until the trucks take the passengers back to the ship. The trucks come and go picking up and dropping off. We happened to get back to our room as they were loading up the last of the passengers on several trucks, what a sight! I also have videos of the trucks making the 180 degree turns by the Bananakeet, very funny!

The taxi to CGB is just slightly less than Smuggler's, but you must pay for lounges and umbrella in CGB while lounges are free in Smuggler's and there is plenty of natural shade. I'm also a little concerned about the reports I've read recently of people dumping their waste as they're moored in CGB. More than one report of that and so I'm leery of wading there.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day on CGB, we go there to see Val and Kareem and Prince at Myett's and Quito at his place. But for a nice beach with less crowds we head to Smuggler's or Long Bay.

dapaddo Long Bay is another option where you can get a day pass at the Long Bay Resort to use their pool too (the beaches are free on Tortola). The waves can be higher there though. But beautiful walking beach.

Long Bay resort- can you pre plan this like Nachi Cocom, Is it something like that. The pool option sounds good in case the waves are high.

Long Bay resort- can you pre plan this like Nachi Cocom, Is it something like that. The pool option sounds good in case the waves are high.

You can e-mail the resort to inquire, they will tell you to come to the office when you arrive to get the day passes unless you have a group then call the number below ahead of time. I would recommend this as a good option for your group because you have both a beautiful beach and a pool to use. The pool is a wading pool like many of the resorts in Mexico but nice with a small pool bar. You will have to walk up a set of steps to get to the pool, if someone has a problem you can get a ride by the staff in a golf cart. Short walk but there are steps. The beach is across the street and a short walk to the water. Their website has some photos.

Their rates for pool use are -

$30/couple or $20 single, child $5.00, includes towel.

For $45 pp you also get lunch at the pool bar (burger, dog, or salad) and 2 beverages.

Additional info -

If you have a large group call 1-284-495-4252 ahead of time.

Pool Bar & Grill serves salads, burgers and hot dogs among other snacks.

If you prefer a nicer lunch at their '1748' Restaurant you would just pay for the pool use and not the pool bar lunch.

They also offer a room for the day at 50% rates.

You can e-mail the resort to inquire, they will tell you to come to the office when you arrive to get the day passes unless you have a group then call the number below ahead of time. I would recommend this as a good option for your group because you have both a beautiful beach and a pool to use. The pool is a wading pool like many of the resorts in Mexico but nice with a small pool bar. You will have to walk up a set of steps to get to the pool, if someone has a problem you can get a ride by the staff in a golf cart. Short walk but there are steps. The beach is across the street and a short walk to the water. Their website has some photos.

Their rates for pool use are -

$30/couple or $20 single, child $5.00, includes towel.

For $45 pp you also get lunch at the pool bar (burger, dog, or salad) and 2 beverages.

Additional info -

If you have a large group call 1-284-495-4252 ahead of time.

Pool Bar & Grill serves salads, burgers and hot dogs among other snacks.

If you prefer a nicer lunch at their '1748' Restaurant you would just pay for the pool use and not the pool bar lunch.

They also offer a room for the day at 50% rates.

Thank you for the info, Do you know anything about Antiuga no one is answering me on that board?

We've only cruised to Antigua twice and have not stayed there yet but I can share what we did if that is of any help. We will return for a longer visit in the future.

Our first visit we (4 couples) booked the Excellence catamaran for a day sail, this was the "Sea & See Antigua" excursion through Carnival. This is one of our 2 favorite excursions of all time - beautiful boat and excellent crew, you head to Green Island for snorkeling or beach time then have lunch and cocktails and then cruise the beautiful coast of Antigua and motor through English Harbor. Excellent day, costs $99pp I think. You don;t need to snorkel to have a beautiful day, the water was the bluest we've seen anywhere.

Second visit we (2 couples) pre-booked Lawrence of Antigua for an island tour. Lawrence is absolutely wonderful and an excellent guide. He will tailor the tour to your desires and include a nice beach stop if you want that. He provides water, soda, and beer and fruits and has a nice van as well as larger vehicles. Other people have left great reviews of Lawrence as well. We were there during the Regatta and that was neat to see. Don't miss Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. You can contact him on his site, lawrenceofantigua.com.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the info, Do you know anything about Antiuga no one is answering me on that board?

Not sure what you are looking for in Antigua. We went to Valley Church Beach which is absolutely beautiful. The waves were a little bit more than CGB, but not at all rough when we were there.

However, someone with mobility problems might have trouble getting out of the water- at least in some places. There was about a 1 or 2 foot drop down right as you stepped into the water and it was a bit tricky stepping out of the water. It might have just been where we sat though.

I love Antigua becuase there is a lot to see and do. We did the beach this year, but on our last trip, we did a 3 hour land tour that went to Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights. It was a great way to see the island.

Lawrence or another tour guide will be able to recommend a calm beach, we went to Pigeon Beach which was very nice and enjoyed a great jerk chicken dinner at the small beach bar there.

We liked Antigua because it is beautiful and quiet, not alot going on unless the Regatta is on. The rainforest is also a good part of an island tour.

But a day on the Excellence just can't be beat either...

• 2 weeks later...

:)Dave .... Thanks so much for your photos of Brewers Bay Beach! Really shows what a lovely place it is!

We rented chairs and sat in the shade ... except while enjoying the water. :D

Here are couple of pictures of Brewers Bay from last December

6998947538_c35aed0e46_m.jpg

6998947382_184ffe63e1_m.jpg

Archived