wine tasting

can someone tell me about the wine tasting. Is there cheeses? is all different types? is it everynight? what is the cost? thanks!

I only know of the Lafite Wine Tasting Experience. This is held once per cruise, and does come with cheese, crackers, and some fruit. The cost was $23 per person.

Here's a link to the description on Royal's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/spa/html/view.do?productId=100000002617075089&typeId=100000002208059779&level=3

We have signed up for The Lafite Wine Tasting aboard the Explorer. It is $20 per person and is scheduled for 3pm on one of our sea days.

I don't know if this helps, but hope so.

We did one on Jewel a couple of years ago and they had cheese and crackers to accompany the wine. We did enjoy it and taste 4 or 5 different wines.

They didn't give you much wine for he tasting.

The bottles of wine they try to sell you are smaller than standard bottles of wine.

All in all, it's not a bad show for the money, the cheeses are good but they could sell standard bottles and give a little more wine to taste.

This was a great experience, but probably not so much for experienced winos;) When we went we learned a lot. You sit around a huge table and get the tastings, the ordourves and a great lecture. Probably a total of about 8 to 10 different red, whites, etc.

We also love the martini seminar up in Viking Crown. $10 and you get lots of tastes and can purchase the drinks they make.

They didn't give you much wine for he tasting.

The bottles of wine they try to sell you are smaller than standard bottles of wine.

All in all, it's not a bad show for the money, the cheeses are good but they could sell standard bottles and give a little more wine to taste.

the standard is a one ounce pour per glass. are you getting less than that? if so then it is possible that they are only allowed x number of bottles to be taken out of inventory for tasting and must stretch that to cover everyone who has signed up.

all the classes I have taken( admittedly on other lines) have had 30 people sign up.

We did the Lafite on our last cruise as well. there were 5 glasses, 1 white + 4 red, if I recall.

Cost was $20 plus gratuity = $23. I can't comment on the actual volume of wine in the glasses, but each was at least two good mouthfuls, because I remember doing an initial taste, plus another after the cheese and cracker.

We were in the middlle so didn't get a chance, but if you sit near the outside and keep your eyes out, many pax were snagging extra glasses of wine and cheeses from the nearby unoccupied tables.

Is the wine tasting offered fleet-wide? More specifically, on Freedom? If so, is this something we should reserve in advance?

I don't believe the event is on every ship. I also think you can wait until on board to book.

This was a great experience, but probably not so much for experienced winos;) When we went we learned a lot. You sit around a huge table and get the tastings, the ordourves and a great lecture. Probably a total of about 8 to 10 different red, whites, etc.

We also love the martini seminar up in Viking Crown. $10 and you get lots of tastes and can purchase the drinks they make.

You must be thinking of some other cruise line.

The two I have attended on Enchantment were five glasses of wine.

We were in the middlle so didn't get a chance, but if you sit near the outside and keep your eyes out, many pax were snagging extra glasses of wine and cheeses from the nearby unoccupied tables.

Oh good Lord, how tacky of them! A wine TASTING is an opportunity to try different wines and/or learn something about them. It's not supposed to be a drink-as-much-wine-as-you-possibly-can type of event.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the wine tasting offered fleet-wide? More specifically, on Freedom? If so, is this something we should reserve in advance?

It is on the FR(the LaFite one)........I did it in Sept......cost is $23 and you get 4 wines to try.You can book it ahead or wait till you get on board..

• 2 months later...

Martini Experience! When, When What sips...Ships..

Anyone have more info plz...

Martini Experience! When, When What sips...Ships..

Anyone have more info plz...

I'd love to know more about this too. Is it fleet wide or only on certain ships?

Just off the 12/30 Explorer - we attended the Martini tasting. It was in the Viking Crown - run by our barman from the Concierge Lounge. It lasted about 1 hour. He made about 5 different Martini's and they were truly "tastes" maybe 1 oz. Then he asked for 1 female and 1 male volunteer. They each made a martini of their choice to taste. Class lasted about 1 hour, was very informative and FUN! In the end we received a souvineer Royal Caribbean Martini glass and a FULL martini of our choice in that glass. Cost $9.95 PP - well worth it. Sorry, I can't remember if gratuity was added or not. Id do it again. We met some nice people as well. Was on a sea day as well.

I did the LaFitte(sp) on the Allure. There were four wines (seems like it was 1 white 3 red, but it may have been 2 and 2-can't quite remember) and each wine had an accompanying cheese along with some apricots and walnuts. They were "full" pours meaning to the widest part of the bulb in the glass (about 1-2ounces) as it should be. They weren't the best of the vineyard but a couple were pretty good the malbec and the burgundy. $23 is what it cost and about what it was worth but it was a nice presentation and the sommelier was very knowledgeable. On our cruise it was held on the last formal afternoon (a sea day-Western Carib-Thanksgiving). Vintages does wine flights but I don't recall any other wine tasting opportunities (could be wrong though).

Archived