gluten free dining on royal caribbean

Runner10k

We are taking our 12 yr old daughter on Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas. She has Celiac Disease and needs gluten free meals. I read the RC gluten free statement, but want to know first hand how all meals are handled.

The dinner main dining area seems to be handled by our waiter or head waiter.

For other meals like breakfast and lunch - how is that handled?

Do I need to bring any GF items, like hamburger buns or or they provided?

Thank you!

This is from RCL website

You would be best to contact RCL

Contact your travel agent or Certified Vacation Planner and request that the remark be noted in your reservation details. If you made your reservation online at royalcaribbean.com you may add your request to the "update personal information." section. You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are received less than 45 days of sailing (90 days for European/South American itineraries) are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Please note: Baby food is available via our Gifts and Gear page via our Babies To Go program and infant formula is not provided on board.

Guests may not bring on board any food items other than baby food and/or dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

I have taken three cruises with my BIL and SIL who both have Celiac and will be taking the fourth in Feb. Three of these are with RCI. They have gotten along wonderfully. Just make sure the cruise line knows about it when you book and they will take good care of you in the dinning room. In the Windjammer you will need to be very selective on what you choose for your daughter but they have always been able to find enough safe food to keep them full.

Post this with the special needs department of the cruise line! They will make sure she can get what she needs. Don't surprise them with her Celiac after you get on the ship! If they know ahead of time it is easier for all.

On a recent cruise a tablemate told our waiter she was allergic to garlic and asked what was garlic free on the menu. Next thing the Maitre'd was at our table followed by the hostess. Her questions were answered and the hostess brought her next evening's menu for her to choose what she wanted. Every night the hostess came with the next night's menu. She was asshured (SP?) there would be no garlic in whatever she ordered.

As mentioned above, do let the cruise line know ahead of time that you're traveling with someone with special dietary issues.

I cruised with a friend who has celiac disease. Every night, the head waiter came over with the next night's menu, and together they worked out what my friend would have for dinner the next night. They made a point of putting a plate of GF bread on the table each night as well. And one night for dessert, he was really craving the strawberry shortcake that was on the menu, so I asked the waiter if they could take some of the GF bread (which was on the sweeter side) and build a strawberry shortcake with it. They did.

For breakfast and lunch, though, he was on his own to determine what he could and could not eat, especially in the Windjammer buffet.

I recently cruised on the Seranade with two friends who have Celiac. Prior to sailing, our TA informed Royal of their dietary needs. On the day we boarded, my friends made a trip to the dining room and spoke with one of the restaurant managers. He proceeded to show them the menu for that evening and took their dinner orders. When we were first seated at our table, our waiter, Beju, introduced himself to us and then asked who at the table had the special diet.

Every evening after dinner, the head waiter would bring the next night's dinner menu to the table for them to select their meal. On one particular menu both didn't care for the selections and the head waiter asked them if they would like a steak instead. The staff was very accomodating!

As for breakfast & lunch, there is such a wide variety that both my friends didn't have any problems finding something to eat.

Karen

On my Australian cruise with RCCL, they had gluten-free foods labeled in the Windjammer for the first few days, then got rid of the signs. Upon asking, we were told that with the signs, there was a dramatic increase in consumption of those foods because people thought they were "healthier."

• 3 weeks later...

We recently sailed on RCCL with our 13 year old daughter who is also a celiac. She had lots of lovely gluten free meals and was thoroughly spoilt by our waiters and the head waiter. As others have said she would get the next nights menu and choose what she would like to have and they would try and make her a gluten free version of it. They had gluten free bread for her and made sure that she had gluten free gravies, sauces, dressings etc. with her meals. The head chef even came over on the first night and introduced himself to us and told us if we needed anything to call him.

In the Windjammer we spoke to the head chef there and he went though what she could have. There were plenty of choices available for her. We did eat in the main dining room each night though as we enjoyed the experience and we were more confident with the gluten free situation there. We often ate in the main dining room for breakfast and they made her gf pancakes and french toast. There were plenty of other gluten free options too such as eggs, bacon, yoghurt, fruits, omelettes etc. We only had 3 sea days out of 12 so on those days we went to the main dining room where they had a salad bar where you could point out which ingredients you would like in your salad and they would make up a big salad which she loved. There were also plenty of choices in the Windjammer. The frozen yoghurt machine in the Windjammer was also gluten free. Don't worry, she will have plenty of choice and will love the food on board. We were told there were at least 25 other celiacs on our cruise so they are well used to catering for any special diet.

On my Australian cruise with RCCL, they had gluten-free foods labeled in the Windjammer for the first few days, then got rid of the signs. Upon asking, we were told that with the signs, there was a dramatic increase in consumption of those foods because people thought they were "healthier."

That's funny! People do assume that gluten free means healthier even if they don't need to eat gluten free. Here in Australia there is high awareness of gluten free diets so that is why they probably labelled the foods which is a great idea for the passenger and the staff. We found we often had to ask the staff if something was gluten free whereas if they had signs we wouldn't have to bother them.

That's funny! People do assume that gluten free means healthier even if they don't need to eat gluten free. Here in Australia there is high awareness of gluten free diets so that is why they probably labelled the foods which is a great idea for the passenger and the staff. We found we often had to ask the staff if something was gluten free whereas if they had signs we wouldn't have to bother them.

Do you know of Dr. Rodney Ford in NZ? He does quite a bit of work on Celiac and gluten sensitivity. I agree with what the other posters have said. The staff is very concerned with keeping you from being contaminated with gluten. I just got a letter from special needs at RCI explaining the procedure and what they can and cannot do for you. The also advised that I may bring non-perishable snacks like GF chips, pretzels, cookies, nuts and cereal. Just no perishable or refrigerated items and all items must be in the original unopened package.

I have sailed on Carnival at least 7 cruises and RCI once since being diagnosed and they both do a good job making adjustments so the food in the MDR is gf, but I give the edge to Carnival. They asked us to eat traditional dining so that our waiters and headwaiter knew exactly what we could have and couldn't have. Both lines provide GF bread at dinner. Carnival will also send it up to the Lido for sandwiches if you ask. Carnival's GF pasta was very good. The best treatment ever was on the Carnival Glory. We had the same Head waiter 2 years in a row. She really knew her stuff. I am also dairy free. She had the chef make me blueberry muffins in the morning and one day at lunch surprised me with a GF pizza. Every night I had a special GF/CF dessert. On our 35th anniversary cruise I brought a GF cake mix to the Carnival Conquest dining room on embarkation and the chef baked us a GF/ Dairy free cake and it was decorated just like the regular cakes. He used GF margarine instead of butter for the frosting. It was delicious. They charged us the same fee as for a normal anniversary cake and brought it on the third day as requested.

RCI didn't seem to get the dairy free part and the headwaiter would come with a "special dessert" chocolate mousse (milk) cheesecake (milk) I ended up having fruit for dessert on RCI and expect it will be the same again on the Voyager in Jan. I am thrilled that I have anything to eat onboard. They certainly get it better than most US land based restaurants. I cannot imagine anyone going GF unless they had to. It is one heck of an expensive fad diet. I am very sensitive to gluten and if I get contaminated I am really sick - usually don't even make it to the end of the meal. I have never had a problem on a cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know of Dr. Rodney Ford in NZ? He does quite a bit of work on Celiac and gluten sensitivity. I agree with what the other posters have said. The staff is very concerned with keeping you from being contaminated with gluten. I just got a letter from special needs at RCI explaining the procedure and what they can and cannot do for you. The also advised that I may bring non-perishable snacks like GF chips, pretzels, cookies, nuts and cereal. Just no perishable or refrigerated items and all items must be in the original unopened package.

I have sailed on Carnival at least 7 cruises and RCI once since being diagnosed and they both do a good job making adjustments so the food in the MDR is gf, but I give the edge to Carnival. They asked us to eat traditional dining so that our waiters and headwaiter knew exactly what we could have and couldn't have. Both lines provide GF bread at dinner. Carnival will also send it up to the Lido for sandwiches if you ask. Carnival's GF pasta was very good. The best treatment ever was on the Carnival Glory. We had the same Head waiter 2 years in a row. She really knew her stuff. I am also dairy free. She had the chef make me blueberry muffins in the morning and one day at lunch surprised me with a GF pizza. Every night I had a special GF/CF dessert. On our 35th anniversary cruise I brought a GF cake mix to the Carnival Conquest dining room on embarkation and the chef baked us a GF/ Dairy free cake and it was decorated just like the regular cakes. He used GF margarine instead of butter for the frosting. It was delicious. They charged us the same fee as for a normal anniversary cake and brought it on the third day as requested.

RCI didn't seem to get the dairy free part and the headwaiter would come with a "special dessert" chocolate mousse (milk) cheesecake (milk) I ended up having fruit for dessert on RCI and expect it will be the same again on the Voyager in Jan. I am thrilled that I have anything to eat onboard. They certainly get it better than most US land based restaurants. I cannot imagine anyone going GF unless they had to. It is one heck of an expensive fad diet. I am very sensitive to gluten and if I get contaminated I am really sick - usually don't even make it to the end of the meal. I have never had a problem on a cruise ship.

I am getting ready to contact Special Needs for our cruise next July. We just got off the Carnival Triumph and could not have been more pleased with their handling of my daughter's gluten-free needs. She is also diabetic with 3 dif. insulins and they had a refrigerator delivered to our cabin.

It sounds like RCCL is similar in planning out the dinner a day ahead, as well as with the bread and special desserts. However, with Carnival we also had our breakfast and lunch for her planned ahead as well. The one time she ate at the buffet was embarkation day and the chef came out to tell me which foods were ok for her. The rest of the time it was in the MDR. It is not sounding like RCCL does anything special except for dinner and for the other meals you're on your own to plan.

For the one who got the gf pancakes, did you have to order them ahead of time or did you order upon going into the dining room?

I'm getting just a little concerned now that it will be more challenging with RCCL than it was with Carnival.

I just printed out my documents this morning for our January cruise

From the documents:

Special Dietary needs?

Send us an email at least 45 days in advance with your name, reservation number, ship name and sailing date to the email address below.

Kosher kosher@rccl.com

Food Allergies foodallergies@rccl.com

Gluten-Free glutenfree@rccl.com

I just printed out my documents this morning for our January cruise

From the documents:

Special Dietary needs?

Send us an email at least 45 days in advance with your name, reservation number, ship name and sailing date to the email address below.

Kosher kosher@rccl.com

Food Allergies foodallergies@rccl.com

Gluten-Free glutenfree@rccl.com

Thanks for that added email contact. I just finished the email to Special Needs and received the confirmation they received it; but I think I will go ahead and also send one to the special gluten-free address you supplied. It can't hurt to reinforce.

I am getting ready to contact Special Needs for our cruise next July. We just got off the Carnival Triumph and could not have been more pleased with their handling of my daughter's gluten-free needs. She is also diabetic with 3 dif. insulins and they had a refrigerator delivered to our cabin.

For the one who got the gf pancakes, did you have to order them ahead of time or did you order upon going into the dining room?

I'm getting just a little concerned now that it will be more challenging with RCCL than it was with Carnival.

With regards to the pancakes the head waiter would often come over at dinner and ask her if she wanted pancakes for breakfast. Otherwise it was fine just to turn up at the main dining room in the morning and order pancakes or french toast. There were plenty of other options at breakfast in the main dining room - eggs, bacon etc. There was also a small buffet in the MDR which had fruit, yoghurt, eggs, bacon etc. to choose from.

As far as lunch goes we either ate in the Windjammer or in the MDR. There was a great salad bar in the MDR which our celiac daughter really enjoyed. You could choose which indgredients you would like in your salad and they made it up for you. The dressing were okay but just check. Really I don't think you will have any problems. I can only speak for the Brilliance of the Seas which was excellent with regards to gluten free but I expect it would be the same throughout the fleet.

One more thing - if you want cereal then bring your own as none of the cereals were gluten free.

We are taking our 12 yr old daughter on Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas. She has Celiac Disease and needs gluten free meals. I read the RC gluten free statement, but want to know first hand how all meals are handled.

The dinner main dining area seems to be handled by our waiter or head waiter.

For other meals like breakfast and lunch - how is that handled?

Do I need to bring any GF items, like hamburger buns or or they provided?

Thank you!

I assume you are aware that Celiac is a genetic disease so that if your daughter has it chances are you and/or her father also have the genes and may have celiac. You can be asymptomatic and still have it. After I was diagnosed the doctor insisted that other members of my family get tested. One son and both grandchildren came up positive as did my Mother. The doctor said my DH and DIL needed to be tested since our son and grandchildren had it. Both of them are also celiac. We have scads of other relatives who should get tested as they have lots of symptoms, but they refuse to give up the wheat. My first cousin died of T-cell Lymphoma at age 46 and celiac was found on autopsy.

My husband and daughter both have Celiac disease. RCCL gets top notch grades for always accommodating them. Even in the windjammer, my husband has found things to eat and they even brought him GF bread. We did bring GF dressing for him for his salad and then just labeled it with his name. Even if there was a question of contamination they were quick to respond and bring my family something else. One night they even made a special dessert for my husband so he did not have to eat ice cream anymore. Even the flourless chocalate cake was great for him!! Carnival was terrible and my husband ended up getting sick and the matre D did nothing to help and even admitted he did not know enough about the food. It was our last cruise with Carnival.!! Thumbs up RCCL!!!

Macwoman

My husband and daughter both have Celiac disease. RCCL gets top notch grades for always accommodating them. Even in the windjammer, my husband has found things to eat and they even brought him GF bread. We did bring GF dressing for him for his salad and then just labeled it with his name. Even if there was a question of contamination they were quick to respond and bring my family something else. One night they even made a special dessert for my husband so he did not have to eat ice cream anymore. Even the flourless chocalate cake was great for him!! Carnival was terrible and my husband ended up getting sick and the matre D did nothing to help and even admitted he did not know enough about the food. It was our last cruise with Carnival.!! Thumbs up RCCL!!!

Macwoman

We were lucky as our daughter got a special dessert made for her every night though sometimes she just preferred ice cream. Also they often bought her extra desserts because the chef decided to make a few different gluten free desserts and they had left overs. We didn't need to bring our own salad dressing as there were gluten free dressings available. There was always olive oil and balscamic vinegar available too. She had gluten free bread everyday which started off tasting quite bitter but they played around with the recipe and tasted quite good eventually.

Archived