Embarkation/Security Check-in in Vancouver

azsheep

Help! We are sailing on the Zaandam on Sat (Jul10) out of Vancouver.We haven't cruised with HAL since Sept 11. My mother and I are having a "discussion" about checked baggage and security procedures at the dock. Can someone outline for me what the procedures are now...from the time you get off the plane (we are flying in from the US) until you and your bags are reunited in your stateroom?

My mom is sure there is no way that HAL will be able to tell if she has a bottle of gin in her checked baggage....I'm not so sure....

Thanks
Diana

Zaandam - Inside Passage 7/10/04
Zaandam - Panama Canal Transition May 2001
Ryndam - Glacier Discover May 1999

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Azsheep-[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]We have travelled many times since 9/11 and the procedures are quite simple, though with 4 ships in port in Vancouver there could be a bit of a line for immigration into Canada at the airport on Saturday. Be prepared for a wait, then you are pleasantly surprised if not:)[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue] I don't believe HAL will find her bottle of Gin, I just hope it's not broken in transit. Even my guaranteed Samsonite hardside luggage gets pulverized each trip:eek: . Make sure you fill out the Hal immigrations forms on line at home and sign them, so that it is already done when you get to the pier!:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Enjoy your trip~!~, and remember no sharp objects including fingernail clippers in your carry on luggage![/color][/size][/font]

i was on the zaandam last year in july. we had no problems at all getting through immigration. we flew LAX to YVR. there were 3 ships total departing the saturday we left. there was a bit of a line at the immigration counter at the airport. but when we got through that we found our luggage. we didn't buy ship transfer, but we ran into a HAL rep who said it would be a lot cheaper to take a taxi. he walked us right to the taxi stand and told the taxi driver exactly where to take us. the trip was $30 canadian including tip. when we got out of the taxi, we found a porter who took our luggage right away and we went to check in. definitely have the immigration forms filled out online first. we sailed through check-in, 10 minutes at the most... we got on board around 3:00pm. we went to the lido deck to find food. we came back to our room to get our life jackets for the muster drill. by the time the muster drill was over the luggage had been delivered to our stateroom. the procedure was smooth. no problems whatsoever.

you'll love the Zaandam and Alaska! enjoy!

we have purchased HAL's ship transfer. Last time we cruised Alaska we departed from Seward, and once we got off the plane in Anchorage never saw our bags until they showed up in our rooms. (for first time cruisers that was a little scarey lol) I'm assuming, since we have to go through Canadian immigration, that we will have to collect our bags after the flight, take them through immigration, then deliver them to someone to take to the ship. From that point at the airport, do we ever see them again before our stateroom?

You guys are the best!
Thanks
Diana

Since you have purchased ship transfers you will not see your luggage until it arrives in your stateroom. Be sure your HAL luggage tags are attached before leaving home. We arrived at YVR on 6/17 and waited in a very long line to get through customs at the airport. Be prepared for that just in case. Getting on the ship was a breeze - 10 minutes at most as another poster said - and we were on the ship by 12:30 or so. We had our luggage within the hour and were unpacked and on vacation before the lifeboat drill.

This will be easy-breezy for you! Have a great time!

[color=magenta]In May, 2003, when we flew into Vancouver, we picked up our luggage AFTER we went through customs and then handed it over to the HAL representatives. We did not see our luggage again until we entered our cabin. The only things that were scanned that we saw were all of our carryons at Canada Place.[/color]

[color=magenta]Have a great cruise - we loved the Zaandam for Alaska![/color]

:)

Saw that you are flying from Arizona.

We have never put bottles of alcohol into our checked luggage (never have smuggled alcohol on board any ship) and really don't think it is a good idea.

Have you ever watched how the carriers throw the luggage onto the belt that carries it to the trucksto go to the Planes? And then they throw it onto another belt to get on the plane. And then the luggage comes off the belt, is tossed onto another truck and taken to the baggage claim area where it is tossed onto another belt. After you claim your luggage you either take it tourself to the ship or you give it someone else to put on another truck to go to the pier.

So many chances for a botle to be broken inside the luggage and ruin clothes.

Not worth it in my opinion.

:)

here is another thought.. i have heard this from other cruisers... you can put your HAL luggage tags on the bags from your departure city and then just wait for them to show up at your stateroom...

but i have heard that perhaps it is best not to put the luggage tags on until you reach your arrival city. go through customs. go to baggage claim. find your bags. put the luggage tags on them, and then put them back on the converyor belt where they'll be taken off by HAL reps. this way you know for sure that your bags made it with you to YVR. otherwise if you put the tags on at the departure city and wait til you get to your stateroom, how will you ever know if your bags made it all the way? this is an especially good tip for those that have connecting flights where you change planes. because as we all know luggage has a tendency to get lost. at least this way if you don't find your luggage at baggage claim you can contact someone at the airline right away and have them help you. if you don't discover that your luggage hasn't arrived until after the ship has taken off from the pier, you'll be in a world of trouble...

hmmmm.....you make a good point there ducky. It is a little unnerving wondering if your bags made it from Phoenix, thru Seattle to Vancouver. However, when we cruised with HAL in 99, our flights were all messed up thru Seattle to Anchorage (we were 3 hrs late and changed connecting flights twice in Seattle....) and then the looonnnnng bus ride (but for certain the most beautiful bus ride!) and all the bags made it..... I'll have to sleep on it....I have two nights YIPEE

Thanks again
Diana

yeah its just something to think about. i've never done it. but once i heard someone else talk about it, i thought it was a good idea.

have fun on the Zaandam! you sail on her on the 10th. i sail on the zuiderdam on the 10th out of ft. lauderdale. looks like we'll be cruising at the same time.. though you're in alaska and i am in the caribbean....

one thing... the only reason i am cruising the zuiderdam in the caribbean is because last july when i was on the zaandam, i bought a $10 ticket for the free cruise lottery given away on the last night. and low and behold, my ticket was the winning ticket drawn for the free cruise. and thus the free cruise i chose was the 7/10 zuiderdam to the western caribbean.

for that reason (and many more, or course!) i'll always have fond memories of the zaandam! you should give it a try, you never know how lucky you can get...

she's a great ship and Alaska is absolutely amazing (but then again it sounds like you already know that!)

have fun!

[color=blue]We loved the Zaandam when we went on her inagural Panama Canal transit in 2001. We booked this cruise late....like last month:p and were really happy to find an opening on Zaandam in the cabin category we like. Sounds like I'll have to buy a lottery ticket for the free cruise this time :rolleyes: maybe one for my husband too! Enjoy the Carribbean...as for this desert girl, I'm for anyplace cold in July! I'll even take the 80 degrees if it returns to Alaska...better than the 108 we've got here![/color]

Not only will HAL be aware of what your mother has in her suitcase, but it also going to possibly be searched by officials when you get off the aircraft.
Canada Customs is currently having a "slowdown" due to some labour negotiation tactics and will more than likely be searching more bags.

ALL baggage at Canada Place pier DOES now go through rigorous scrutiny, sniffing dogs for drugs, xrays and the likes before boarding the ship. (Not just HAL, but all the cruise lines)

This same xray screening happens to your carry-on's when you go through security before boarding. I saw a couple in front of me in the lineup have to take their bottle of "carry-on" liquor out of their bag and give it to someone who worked for HAL.

I agree fully with Krazy Kruizers regarding the handling of luggage -- not only by the airport workers but by the longshoremen as well. It certainly would not be worth it in my mind to have clothes ruined by something being smashed due to rough handling.

Have a great cruise on the Zaandam !!

Dave

Archived